- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
In which Jim puts on another costume and surprises a girl.

The two-and-a-half-hour drive from Scranton to Brooklyn hadn’t gotten any more fun but after nearly three months Jim was at least used to it and knew the best place to find parking. He walked to the end of the non-descript hall and was soon face-to-face with Pam’s name on the door. There was no noise after he knocked and he wondered if she went out with friends after all or even just fell asleep, but then he heard footsteps and he stood straight, halfway hiding the shopping bags behind him.

The door opened slowly and Pam peeked around the corner, her expression quickly going from suspicious to excited. “What are you doing here?”

Jim stepped into her dorm and wrapped his arm around her for a kiss. “I was kinda hoping to see your amazing costume in person.”

“Well you’re too late for that, the bowler hat and cane is retired. All you get is the remnants of my grease paint mustache.” She pointed to her face where there was still a faint grey smudge under her nose.

“Mmm, sexy,” Jim teased, giving her upper lip a kiss before letting her go. Her eyes quickly fell on the orange shopping bags in Jim’s hand. “I actually brought a backup costume,” he said, handing her one of the bags.

Pam’s brows met, “You did?”

“Yeah, turns out someone had like three boxes of old Halloween costumes at their parents.”

“Ha! What can I say, I love a wig.” Pam reached into the plastic bag, “So what did you pick?”

“I referred to your accidental-Fuhrer photo and picked the complete opposite,” Jim smirked.

Pam rolled her eyes, then looked and saw the faux blonde locks and bright red dress. “Oh, Princess Bride!” She eyed the other bag Jim was holding. “And what’s that?”

“Something to compliment your costume.”

“You brought me a costume and you’re going to actually dress up? It’s a Halloween miracle!”

“Alright, alright, go change,” Jim said with a half-smile.

Pam giggled and practically skipped into the bathroom, not quite closing the door. “I hope it still fits. If I remember correctly this dress was fairly forgiving.”

“It’ll fit,” he called back, pulling the dark clothing out of the second Halloween bag and laying it out on her bed.

“I think the year I wore this .... yes, I ended up at some house party in Glenmara. And I thought Roy had forgotten me again but this sweet kid by the punch bowl cheered me up.”

Jim suppressed a smile, “Oh yeah?”

“Yeah, who was he dressed as? Someone with a mask.”

“From a movie?” Jim asked, pulling off his shirt and putting on the black, puffy-sleeved pirate shirt with a laced-up collar.

“No not a movie, oh, it’s a play! What is it called? It’s on the tip of my tongue.”

This time a smile did break out on Jim's face but he tried to sound as casual as possible. “Phantom?” he suggested, tying a black mask and bandana around his head.

“Yes! Phantom of the Opera! He was funny too, this kid. I always felt a little bad that I bailed on him when Roy showed up. I should have ditched Roy and hung out with him.”

“Hey,” Jim said, feigning offense.

“Hey, what? I said what I said.”

Chuckling to himself, Jim fastened a belt over the puffy shirt and pulled on some gloves.

“Okay, you ready?” Pam called.

“Yes, ready.” He slipped a plastic sword under his belt and put his shoulders back in a proud stance as Pam opened the door.

Even in a cheap blonde wig and a fire engine-red dress she was adorable, and when she dramatically leaned against the doorway, the back of her hand on her forehead as if about to faint, she was even more adorable. “Dread Pirate Roberts! What have you done to my beloved Wesley?” she said in a terrible English accent.

Jim pressed his lips together to fight off laughter and tried to look serious as he walked slowly over to her and started to speak in his own probably very poor accent. “I took him prisoner, and now I’m taking you prisoner.” He wrapped his arms around her waist and started walking both of them to the bed.

“No, unhand me you fiend!” Pam playfully slapped at his chest but giggled when they fell on the bed, him half on top of her. She put her hand on the back of his neck and pulled him down for a kiss. “Now that is quite curious,” she said when their lips parted, still in her Buttercup voice. “You kiss just like my Wesley.” She gasped, “You are him!”

“Okay, how long are we doing this?” Jim said in a normal voice.

“What strange accent did your captors teach you, my love?”

“Oh my god,” he muttered, shaking his head.

While Pam laughed, her phone dinged with a message. “Last thing, I swear.” She put on her accent once again, “Farm Boy, fetch me my communication device from my bureau.”

Jim smirked as he pushed himself up off her, then stood to grab the cellphone off her desk. He lay back down on the bed, placing the phone in her hand and bringing his lips to her ear. “As you wanted,” he whispered before kissing her on her neck.

He slowly kissed down her neck, wondering if that would get any kind of reaction, then smiled against her skin when she finally said, “Wait.” He lifted his head to meet her widened eyes. “What did you say?”

“‘As you wanted’, that's the line, right?”

She shook her head lightly “No, it couldn’t have been…”

“Should I have brought my white mask instead?”

“Oh my God!” Pam all but pushed him off her and sat straight up. “You were the Phantom by the punch bowl!”

Jim held up his index finger, “Correction, I was the Phantom of the Punch Bowl. And you were the lonely Buttercup.”

Pam's mouth was still hanging open in shock. “I can’t believe this, when did you know? Did you always know?”

“No, I had completely forgotten about that night until I saw the costume at your mom’s. Then it all came back, nearly knocking you over, drinking that ridiculously sweet and boozy punch, talking about why Phantom has a mask.”

“Yes, Garfield face tattoo!" She nearly shouted, and they both laugh."I thought you were so funny and then you left, why did you leave?”

Jim gave a nervous smile, “I, um, I went to find scissors so I could turn my Phantom cape into a Dread Pirate Roberts mask.”

Pam’s eyebrows raised in worry, “Oh my god, really?”

“Really, and I managed to do it but when I got back downstairs you were leaving.”

“I wanted to stay, I swear, but then Roy showed up and insisted we go to a different party, which sucked by the way.” Pam reached over and took Jim’s hand, “Do you forgive dumb 17-year old me?”

Jim scoffed, “Oh, c’mon. And besides, you just said a few minutes ago you should have ditched Roy and hung out with me, and as far as I’m concerned that’s exactly what you did.”

She pressed her palm to her chest, her eyes shiny, then leaned into him for a kiss. Another ding came from her phone and they both groaned softly.

“Better see who’s so insistent,” Jim said.

Pam gave him a pout then turned to her phone sitting on the bed. “Costume Party at Stacy’s, must be dressed up, BYOB ,” she read. “Here’s the other one, ‘Hello? Scranton? You on your way?’”

Jim shrugged, “So, are you on your way, Scranton?”

Pam smirked and read her reply as she typed, “Sorry, catching up with an old friend tonight. Have fun! ” She hit send, tossed the phone aside, and Jim smiled as she gently pushed him back on the bed and surrounded his masked face with a curtain of blonde locks.

Chapter End Notes:
Yeah I don't know why this took so long, but the important thing is it's finished (twss?). Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed it, and Halloween JAM forever!


NobleLandMermaid is the author of 22 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked As You Wish also liked 461 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Halloween Writing Contest 2018. The next story in the series is Costumes.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans