- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Feeling a little stuck with Distance Learning - but still wanting to play around in the Jim/Pam love. This is Jim's POV....

Not my characters, I don't make any profit except in the good will I like to try and share with other Jam fans. No copywrite infringement intended!

Jim walked up to the reception desk to grab a few jelly beans. It was just one of the many habits he had already fallen into on his first day back at the Scranton branch. Pam wasn't at her desk; she'd left the office over ten minutes ago. He told himself he wasn't avoiding her, but the fact was that she scared him a bit.

She seemed so different to him, even though they'd talked and emailed a few times while he was in Stamford. She seemed guarded around him, and that made him feel shy around her. If he knew how she felt he'd know how to act around her. It was frustrating to feel like nothing had changed between them in that respect. He knew he shouldn't even open that door, that he should block her out entirely, but being back in the same office made that pretty much impossible. He just wished it wasn't so damn unnerving to look up and see her watching him, only for her to quickly glace away when she was caught.

He was thinking of the quote about those who forget history when Kevin walked back into the office from his lunch break. Kevin eyed the jelly bean container as he threw his coat on the nearby coatstand.

"Wow, nice to see those babies back," Kevin said, grabbing a large handful of jelly beans. "She's even supplying Jelly Bellies? Niiiice," he grinned.

"What do you mean 'back'?" Jim asked.

"'Back', as in, 'not gone anymore.' Pam hasn't put any candy out on her desk in months, much less the expensive jelly beans." Kevin nudged Jim as he started to walk back to his desk in accounting. "I'm wondering if there's any connection between candy now available and you now being available again, if you get my meaning..."

Jim shrugged noncommittally, picked up a few more jelly beans and walked back to his old familiar desk. It's a coincidence she chose today to put the out again, right? he asked himself. Or maybe she just was trying to be friendly. Or maybe it was an unspoken peace offering. Who could tell at this point?

When Pam returned to the office, Jim made sure to thank her for the jelly beans, but left out the part where Kevin had mentioned their absence. Though she only nodded slightly and gave a short 'you're welcome,' the flush that appeared on her cheeks told him much more than her words or body language had. And suddenly he felt just a little better about being back in Scranton.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans