- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I have this set after Jim comes back from Stamford, but not too far after. Definitely before he admits to Karen he still has feelings for Pam. I have a slight idea of where I want to take it and hopefully it turns out how I want. Hopefully you enjoy it!

*******

Despite every wish I've made on my birthday candles the past 10 years, I own nothing mentioned in the story.
Author's Chapter Notes:
A shorter chapter which is mostly an introduction to the story.
Another day, another study in “The Back of the Neck: Jim Halpert Edition”. If it wasn’t always covered by his shirt collar, she was sure she would know every mole and freckle and see them in the constellations every night. Karen wasn’t even in the office today and Jim still managed to evade Pam, despite her burning stares into the back of his head.

But she knew, even if he did look at her, it would be Stamford Jim looking at her—“Evolved Jim”. She rolled her eyes as the words ran through her head. There had been a few times Scranton Jim had popped his floppy-haired head out of the grass, but he was fairly quickly tackled to the ground by Stamford Jim, and it usually coincided with Karen showing up somewhere. Pam had almost forgotten what a real Jim smile looked like, one where he could simultaneously keep her gaze instead of averting his eyes upon realizing Scranton Jim was attempting to escape again.

It used to be a habit to always look up at him, find his eyes, smile or roll her eyes at something Dwight or Michael had done. That habit was fading, replaced by her subconscious telling her that he’s not looking anyway, so why bother? She let out a sigh, not sure if it was audible or just her tired brain sighing, when she heard Jim’s cell phone ring. He swiveled his chair to the side and leaned back a bit, exposing his profile to the reception desk.

“Hey Mom, what’s up?”

She smiled at how his voice warmed when talking to his mom. Jim shot forward.

“Wait, what?! Mom, slow down….is she okay?!”

Pam whipped her head up as her stomach dropped. Jim’s face was pinched with concern and fear.

“Where? Oh my g—okay, what hospital? It’s going to be fine mom, I’ll be there in a few hours. Is Tom there? Pete? Okay. I’ll see you soon. Love you, mom.”

Jim stood up quickly, fumbling to grab his bag and suit coat. He quickly headed toward the door and Pam instinctively followed him out.

“Jim!” She caught up to him. “What’s going on?!”

Jim ran his hand through his hair, obviously shaken up.

“It’s my little sister, Larissa. She was in a biking accident up in Rochester. Apparently she’s conscious, but heavily sedated and they’re not sure how much function her legs have right now.” He looked terrified.

“Oh, Jim…”
“I’m going to head up there to see her.” His eyes got wide with realization. “Shit. Karen has my car! Hers is in the shop so I let her borrow mine. She’s visiting her friend from college down in Maryland and won’t be home until tomorrow morning. I was just going to get a cab home.”

“Take mine,” she blurted without hesitation.
“Pam, I couldn’t…”
“Don’t be ridiculous, Jim. Seriously, take it.”
“I don’t know how long I’ll be gone.”
“My parents have an extra car they hardly ever use and I’m sure I can borrow it.”

She watched as he mulled it over in his head.

“Are you sure?”
“Positive. Let me get the keys.”

She went back to her desk and fished in her purse for her keys and made her way back to Jim.

“Here,” she said, handing him the keys. “Keep it as long as you need to. Seriously. And keep me updated.”

She could see his eyes begin to get glossy, ever so slightly brimmed with tears. She flashed back to the only other time she had seen him like that, only then it was in a parking lot, where everything had changed between them. She snapped out of her memory when she heard him say her name.

“Pam. I don’t think I can drive.”

She didn’t know what to say. He looked at her--really looked at her. Scranton Jim spoke up.

“Come with me?”

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans