25 [Reviews - 24] Printer ePub eBook
Summary:

The Snoopy mug origin story...

Pam and Jim spend their first New Year's together babysitting.

As the year 2007 ends, Pam's got to face her fears of interacting with children. 


Rated: T
Categories: Jim and Pam, Past Characters: Ensemble, Other
Genres: Fluff, Holiday
Warnings: Mild sexual content
Challenges: First Time For Everything, Exploding Soda
Series: Gold Mine
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes
Word count: 18205 Read: 10514 ePub Downloads: 4
Published: December 31, 2020 Updated: January 17, 2021
[Report This]
Story Notes:

Have you ever wondered why Pam’s so apprehensive around kids?

I did.

Ever wonder where the Snoopy mug came from?

Me too.

Wonder what our lovebirds were doing on their first New Year’s Eve?

Yup, I was curious about that too.

But since I didn’t write these characters and don’t own them in any way all I could do is speculate. Hope you enjoy my speculation.

 

The main part of the story takes place on New Years so I felt it was important to get at least a chapter up before New Year's Eve even though the opening chapter takes place months before then. 

Spoiler alerts:

This story includes some mild spoilery stuff for Grey's Anatomy season 3 (the season that ended on the same night Jim asked Pam out) - assuming it was one of the shows they discussed at work before he went to Stamford I suggest they rewatched it together once they reunited. 

Also the second chapter will contain a mild spoiler as to the plot of the Christmas story that precedes this one in my Gold Mine series, Beets on the Tree.

You need not read it to enjoy this one but it does give away a small thing from the ending reveal in case you planned to, I would read it before the Chapter 2 of this one.


 

1. Yearbook Pages by Maxine Abbott [Reviews - 6] 9 (4173 words)

As mentioned there are references to Grey's Anatomy which in doing research I wound up doing a rewatch from the beginning...as if I have time to catch up on 17 seasons of a show I'd seen before. But I'm finding it refreshing as I'd forgotten so much but it was/is a good show - at least it was in earlier seasons...I'm not sure when I stopped watching it but will find out if I tire of it at same season as the last time around (provided it doesn't get yanked from Netflix as our beloved Office will be in less than 24 hours)

2. Pizza Run by Maxine Abbott [Reviews - 4] 5 (3750 words)

Chapter two skips ahead a bit right past the events around Christmas which I wrote about in Beets on the Tree http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=5947

You need not know that story to appreciate this one nor does it ruin that story if you plan to read Beets on the Tree and prefer not to be spoiled to one plot point you might want to go ahead and read it first.

A story of mine would not be complete without a song element – this time it’s This Will Be Our Year by The Zombies.

https://youtu.be/xSzU9Geg6jA

There’s a real purpose for the song this time although I do love the song and sentiment for Jam.

3. Gas Station Champagne by Maxine Abbott [Reviews - 2] 3 (3396 words)

A big thanks for the appreciation and reviews for this story. I’ve had a lot of fun writing everything I’ve posted on this site but I will say this story was/is one of my most fun to write and we’re about to get to the part where I really had a blast. It’s all about the kids you know. Hope you enjoy meeting Jim’s niece and nephews.

PS no offense intended to anyone who lives in bizarre state where Jim's brother resides.  

4. Uncle Ogre and Guacamole by Maxine Abbott [Reviews - 2] 3 (2250 words)

“I have it on good authority you’ve been talking baby talk around this fic.”

Calling all Little Kid Lovers, this chapter is custom made for you. 

 

5. Musical Mugs by Maxine Abbott [Reviews - 5] 3 (1180 words)

So one of first things I remember reading on this site was a little story by Agian18 called Wake Me Up (you may have heard of it). In it there was a little runner between Pam and Jim about hot chocolate that I just fell in love with. And because it became my own first headcanon and with AG’s blessing, I incorporated the bit into this story as a sort of salute to that story and a terrific author.

6. Pancakes for Pigs by Maxine Abbott [Reviews - 3] 2 (1895 words)

Two weeks into the New Year and I'm finally wrapping up theirs. Penultimate chapter for their New Year's adventures.

 

7. Gift Card by Maxine Abbott [Reviews - 2] (1561 words)
It's January 17 which is ditch your resolutions day (see end notes) but for me it's finish the New Year's story you started on Dec 31 day. Thanks to all who have read and review. Hope you enjoy the final chapter and the answer to the question that sparked this whole fic. Where'd the Snoopy mug come from?