- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Originally posted May 6, 2021

URGENT — The Scranton Merger and New Transfers
FROM: jlevinson@dundermifflin.com
TO: mscott@dundermifflinpaper.com + 30 others
CC: dwallace@dundermifflinpaper.com + 15 others

Fellow Employees of Dunder Mifflin,

We were originally planning on the Stamford branch absorbing the Scranton’s, forming a new branch called Dunder Mifflin Northeast.  However, due to Josh Porter’s sudden resignation as Stamford’s Branch Manager, C.F.O. David Wallace, the Board of Trustees, and I have made the executive decision that Stamford’s branch will absorb into Scranton’s instead, making a new and improved Dunder Mifflin Scranton.

I’m also very pleased to announce that six of Stamford’s employees accepted the decision to transfer:
James “Jim” Halpert, New Assistant Regional Manager & Sales Representative
Andrew “Andy” Bernard, Sales Representative
Karen Filippelli, Sales Representative
Anthony “Tony” Gardner, Sales Representative
Hannah Smoterich-Barr, Accountant
Martin Nash, Supplier Relations Representative
Since their first day, they have exceeded expectations; we felt them worthy to share their expertise in the Scranton Branch.  Join us in congratulating them for their continued success, and Jim Halpert especially for his well-deserved promotion!

Due to the sudden change of plans, we are giving Scranton’s new employees time to move out of their current residence and relocate to Scranton.  Their first day of work will be Monday, November 27, 2006.

To Stamford employees transferring:
— Your new HR Manager Toby Flenderson will answer any questions, concerns, or trepidations you may have.
— Your new Regional Manager, Michael Scott, will also accommodate you during your transition.
— To Sales Representatives: you will continue to serve your current clients; they have already been notified about the transfer.
— When you arrive on the 27th, get to know your new coworkers.
Don’t hesitate to ask any questions or concerns.
Take some time to adjust to your new workspace.
Explore what the city of Scranton has to offer!

To Scranton employees:
— When your new coworkers arrive on the 27th, give them a warm welcome.
— Feel free to show them around their new workspace.
Answer any questions they may have about the new workspace (or direct them to those who can help).
— Spend some time getting to know them, and make them feel at home!

I understand that this is all very sudden, and we apologize for the inconvenience.  However, we believe that this decision will strengthen the company’s productivity and reputation.  We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding during this unforeseen set of circumstances.

If you have any more questions or concerns regarding the merger, do not hesitate to contact me or Scranton’s Human Resources Representative Toby Flenderson (tflenderson@dundermifflinpaper.com) through email.

Sincerely,
Janet Levinson
Vice President of Northeastern Sales
Dunder Mifflin Paper Company, Inc.


Re: URGENT — The Scranton Merger and New Transfers
FROM: mscott@dundermifflinpaper.com
TO: jlevinson@dundermifflin.com

Jan Levi’s,
Is there anything I need to know about my new “family members” before they commence their duties? Birthdays, hobbies, SSNs?
Also, do I have your permission to create a rap, hip-hop-style music video for our new employees? It’s based on a SNL sketch, hilarious!
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/snl-digital-short-lazy-sunday/3505995
Dwight said he’d help.

Sincerely,
Michael Scott
Regional Manager
Dunder Mifflin Scranton


URGENT — The Scranton Merger and New Transfers
FROM: jlevinson@dundermifflin.com
TO: mscott@dundermifflinpaper.com

I’ll be sending you memos with all the information you need to know.  And you can do whatever you want as long as it doesn’t make the transfers uncomfortable.

Please, Michael, for the love of God, don’t screw this up.

Sincerely,
Janet Levinson
Vice President of Northeastern Sales
Dunder Mifflin Paper Company, Inc.


Re: URGENT — The Scranton Merger and New Transfers
FROM: mscott@dundermifflinpaper.com
TO: jlevinson@dundermifflin.com

When have I ever let you down before?

Sincerely,
Michael Scott
Regional Manager
Dunder Mifflin Scranton


A thank you
FROM: jhalp1978@aol.com
TO: jlevinson@dundermifflin.com
CC: pambees@yahoo.com

Dear Jan,

I wanted to thank you for your support and help for both Pam and me. You really didn’t have to go to the lengths you did so we wanted you to know how much it’s appreciated.

This is Jim Halpert, by the way. Should have led with that.

All the best,
— JDH


Re: A thank you
FROM: pambees@yahoo.com
TO: jlevinson@dundermifflin.com
CC: jhalp1978@aol.com

Likewise!  You’ve done so much for us.  I know things certainly have been difficult, and I’m sure we didn’t make things any easier, so thanks again!

Take care,
Pam Beesly


Re: A thank you
FROM: jlevinson@dundermifflin.com
TO: pambees@yahoo.com, jhalp1978@aol.com

You two are just fine!  If anything, the both of you kept me sane.  Just keep in mind what I told you, Pam.  Glad I could help, and congratulations!

Sincerely,
Janet Levinson
Vice President of Northeastern Sales
Dunder Mifflin Paper Company, Inc.


I’m going home.

It’s been a week since the announcement and I just found a buyer for this place, so now I can finally leave.  Mark couldn’t find another roommate after the last one tried to hotwire his car; he told me that he was “the only one stupid enough” to let me move back in, which he’s not wrong. Stamford’s still running for the most part, but business has been slow because of the obvious.

As I sit on the couch in the comforting silence, my running thoughts allow me to reflect on my time in Stamford.  And I can’t say I’m not relieved to get the fuck out of here.

The first half in Stamford was fine.  Not good, not bad.  The first week was a hell on Earth (again, the obvious), but after that?  Smooth sailing.  (Oh God, is Andy rubbing off on me?)  The office certainly made me more focused, mostly because everyone was just so… closed off, which is ironic because I’m very closed off myself.  But even the polite ones like Polly and Olive were never all that genuine, and Martin would just ignore me in the middle of a conversation.  I don’t blame Tony at all, the poor man’s just shy.  And Hannah, pft, wow.  Never thought I’d meet someone who’d give Angela Martin a run for her money.  Who would have known one of the two co-workers I’d interact with the most is a pseudo-Dwight?  It’s as if Fate herself is mocking me.

Aside from Call of Duty (say what you want about Movie Mondays, at least it felt like an actual break), there was nothing all that interesting.  It was just “find leads, sell paper, get paid,” which is the name of the game, but I never felt valued other than my status and my sales record.  To be honest, if I stayed there and didn’t have Pam, I probably would go out with Karen.  We did become friends as we worked together more, and we have the same drive to achieve, though she has far more of it than I do.  Shooting her down was the absolute worst, but I knew it would only end in disaster, especially with the merger happening and seeing Pam every workday.  She recovered quickly, at least, and she seems to be excited about Scranton of all places.

And then it hits me: I actually miss Dunder Mifflin Scranton.

I miss Toby’s cool, somehow collected presence around the office.  I miss grabbing drinks with Kevin.  I miss Phyllis’s homemade brownies.  Angela offering me the occasional compliment on my tie (the cat one that was a gag gift), Oscar discussing a new display at the local art museum and tolerating my complete obliviousness, Meredith buying me free shots, Stanley asking me “Seven words, ‘blank’ of the Caribbean”, Kelly describing the latest episode of America’s Next Top Model in great detail, Creed attempting to advertise his latest pyramid scheme to me.  I miss it all.  I even miss Dwight.

I miss Dwight Schrute.

How the hell does that happen?

Is this nostalgia clouding my memories or am I going insane?  Yes.  But for some ungodly reason that I can’t pinpoint, I’m looking forward to that Monday, and not just because of Pam.  It’ll be neat to see everyone again.  Except for maybe Ryan.  It’s weird, the one guy I can relate to the most and I don’t really wanna interact with him.  I remember Pam telling me he got all antsy when he asked about me coming back like he was threatened by me.  I always did get the feeling he never liked me, especially back then; honestly, I don’t like middle school me either.

And then there’s the case of Michael Scott, the most infuriating man-child this side of the Northeast, who has probably been there for me more times than I can count.  He’s much better than—

Fuck.

That whole moment is still eating at me.  Like where the hell does Josh get off?  After everything we’ve done together, he treats the rest of his employees like that?  Then again, it was kinda cathartic since every one of them except Karen was cheering on the fact that Scranton was closing.  Assholes.

On the plus side, Pam’s driving over to see me before I move back.  We decided to celebrate one last weekend in Stamford; she managed to get out of work thanks to “period cramps”, which I’m surprised this time around Michael was smart enough to not offer suggestions like “Have you tried herberal tea?”

The doorbell rings, which is odd, usually she gives me a secret knock.  I open the door, wondering who it cou—

It’s her.

Yeah, it’s Pam, but it’s her.

The red locks.  The eye shadow.  The lipstick.  The dress… Celtic blue, reflective fabric, numerous flower details etched into it.  The only difference is that it goes down to her ankles instead of her knees, and she’s wearing a navy jacket shawl thing because of the cold.  But it’s still the dress.  It’s still her.

The woman who broke my heart.

I’m stunned silent, like when I saw her before our first weekend together.
How is this happening?
Why is this happening?
What is happening?

“Hi,” she’s nervous but still as cute as always, “May I come in?”

I snap back to reality, “Oh, of course!” and move out of the way to let her in.

She chuckles in the way I can’t get enough of, “Thank you,” and she enters; I can tell she’s trying to calm me down.  Thank God it’s working.
She holds my cheek and gives me a short kiss on the lips.  Really working.

“Here, let me get that,” I offer, removing the shawl and hanging it on the coat rack.

“Thank you,” she replies, “what a gentleman.”  God, she’s charming.

“Would you like some refreshments?” I ask, trying to prolong what’s about to happen.

“No, thank you,” she answers, “Come join me.”  Her usual disposition starts to fade as she lightly pats the cushion beside her.  I’m hesitant, but I oblige, wondering where this is all going.

We’re facing each other for the first time since that night.  “Pam—”

“Please, Jim, I…” she’s trying to find the words, “I wanna get this off my chest.”

“Okay.”  I nod in understanding, even though I don’t understand this at all.

“I know that this is… weird.”  Yes, very.  “And it’s weird for me, too.  But… I wanna do this for me.”  She still tries to find the words.  “I’m just, I’m wanting to move on.  From… yeah.”  Neither of us can bother describing it anymore.  “And I figured since Kelly was looking for bridesmaid dresses and she thought this one brought out my eyes—”

“It really does.”

“Thank you,” she tries to hide her blushing, “I figured this would be a step forward.”

I grin at the display, knowing it’s all pointless.  “Pam,” I start, “God knows how much I appreciate this, but the past six months have made up for every—”

“They have,” she interrupts, “and I don’t wanna rewrite history either, but… there have been moments where I look at that desk and I just wanna cry,” she gets misty-eyed, but she swallows and presses on, “that I see Ryan use the same phone I used to call my mom, and—” she shakes her head, “I’m tired of associating those things with the worst night of my life.  Especially since you’re coming home soon.”

“Personification.”

“Exactly.”

I breathe out, thankful that she’s doing this for her.  “I completely understand,” I nod again, actually understanding.  Because I’m doing the same thing right now, and I give that away eyeing the dress.

Catching that, she looks down and comes to the same realization, “I-I’m so sorry, I-I should’ve considered how you—”
“It’s okay, Pam.  I… I need to get over it, too.”

She flashes a sad smile, “If this is too weird for you, I can put the breaks on this right now.”

“I’m just fine.”

Pam and I agreed we need to find ourselves if this was ever going to work.  It’s why we kept contact to a minimum.  But considering it got to the point where the distance seemed farther every day, topped off with the whole Diwali thing, the merger couldn’t have happened at a better time.  We’re in our twenties and have no idea who the hell we are, but now we have a better idea of how to get there, and we’ll be together when we get there.  I couldn’t be more proud of her if I tried.

It’s why I reassure her instead of backing out like I want to.

She reaches out to hold my hands to hold hers.  “Jim,” she starts, “The last time we saw each other, I wasn’t honest with you.”
“I… I can’t.”
“And now that I’m here, I wanna tell you the truth.”
“You have no idea… what your friendship means to me.”
She reaches over to my cheek again, brushing it gently with her thumb.  “Go ahead, Jim.  It’s okay.”

That small bit of reassurance pushes me to state the obvious.  My voice is hoarse, it’s barely above a whisper, but I say it.  “I’m in love with you.”
“I’m really sorry if you misinterpre
“Me, too.”

And that’s all I needed to hear for her to become Pam.  She’s not the woman who broke my heart anymore, she’s Pam.  My girlfriend.  I lean over to kiss her, her scooching herself over to me and sitting on my lap as we make out again, exactly like we did the night she drove over.

It’s just now hitting me how irrational my reaction was.  It’s an outfit.  That’s all.  Just some bridesmaid dress, a hairdo, some lipstick.  It was nearly six months ago, and especially with everything that happened afterward, the fact that I’m personifying a damn dress is more than a little pathetic.

Yet the wind is still thoroughly out of my sails and I can’t bring myself to care.

After leaning back and sprawling on the couch mid-makeout sesh, we pull apart, foreheads touching.  With one more peck, she rests her head on my left shoulder.  “What do you want for dinner?” I ask.

“I dunno,” she quietly answers, easing into the crick of my neck.

“You feel like going out?”

“I hate that I’m not.  I’m starting to like this dress again.”

“Me, too.”  I kiss her cheek as I feel her smile growing… then her stomach growls.  The moment is ruined so immediately that I try not to laugh; I know how insecure she gets about this kinda thing.

“Yeah, I haven’t had lunch today.  Nerves again.”

“Th-that’s okay,” I ask, trying not to break, “We’ll stay here and eat something.”

“How about your world-famous ham-and-cheese sandwiches?”

“‘Word-famous,’ huh?” I smirk.

She playfully rolls her eyes, “Okay, don’t get too high on that horse.”

“I’ll be sure to not break myself if I fall down.”

She starts to giggle, “God.”  We both lean up off each other and sit down on the couch properly, needing to adjust our posture, as she sighs heavily.

“Rough day?”

“Rough week,” she answers tiredly, “Dwight’s already preparing for your arrival.”

“I am hyped.”  I really am.

“As is Michael.”

“Considerably less hyped.”  My excitement is replaced with fear.

“Yup,” she confirms, “Even art class yesterday was frustrating.  The professor made—” the growling comes back.  With a vengeance.

I start to suppress my laughter, resulting in that high-pitched noise I make, and thankfully that gets her to start laughing alongside me; we only laugh harder once I cover my face and can’t help doing “the squeal” as she oh-so-lovingly calls it.

As we finish our sandwiches back on the couch, someone else comes up.  “I can’t believe Josh.”

I just look down and shake my head, “Neither can I.”

“He knew about us, too!  I mean, he talked to Jan, surely she said something about us.”

“Yeah,” I respond emotionlessly as I drink my water.

“God, what a selfish ass.”

Now I think out loud, “Yeah, he— abandoned an entire office and his closest friends for a higher paying job without so much as a goodbye.”  She looks at me weirdly, wondering where I’m going with this.  “Only a selfish ass would pull that, right?” I try to shrug it off, but just look down again.

She gently moves my arm so she can hug me on my side.  “Don’t do that to yourself,” she gently tells me, “You know you’re not like him.”

I wrap my arms around her, letting her know how badly I needed to hear that.  “I’m not.”  I know I’m not, but I just don’t get why.  “It… it shouldn’t sting as much as it does.”

“It’s because you care,” she says, “and he doesn’t.”  I can tell she’s pissed at him.

“Yeah,” I simply respond.  I grab the stool with my leg and roll over the stool so we can prop out feet on it, not letting go.

Despite that conversation we look at each other and just… smile.

“I love you.”
“I love you.”

I thought that I had no future in Dunder Mifflin, and for me to genuinely want that would require a lobotomy.  But now, in a strange way, I’m glad I do have a future in Scranton.  At least for a while.  Because now I can walk in that building and spend time with her, knowing I don’t have to hide, lie, second-guess, deny, deflect, or self-loathe anymore, and neither does she.

We’re here, we’re happy, we’re finally free.

Back in Philly, I remember thinking how otherworldly that entire weekend was, surprised it was even happening.  And as badly as I wanna live there someday, it’s not my home yet.  But she is, and she’s in Scranton, so I’m going home.

I’m finally going home.

…Dwight and Andy are going to work in the same office.

Oh, God.


3.08 “The Merger”

The Tuesday before Thanksgiving, the doc crew films various employees packing and sorting various files and other supplies.

“The Stamford branch is closing and everybody’s just packing up their stuff,” Jim explains to the doc crew, “Andy Bernard made these tasteful hats,” he points to the crudely made headband with a tombstone as its centerpiece, ‘R.I.P.’ written in Sharpie.  And he wears it with pride.  Stamford was an ordeal; Jim’s “fresh start,” and subsequently Josh Porter, was nothing but a wolf in sheep’s clothing all along.  But after that Friday, it no longer matters.

Because he’s going home.

“Yo!  Tuna!” Andy signals, “I wanna talk to you about this new boss, Michael Scott.”

Oh boy, here we go.  “Yeah.”

“So what’s he like?  Likes?  Dislikes?  Favorite sports?  Favorite movies?  Favorite men’s magazines?”

Well, he’s not a fan of kissasses.  “You know what?  I think you just need to meet him.”

“Playing your cards close to the vest,” Andy accuses, “I get it.  Good luck over there, Tuna.  Cross me and I will destroy you.”

“Sounds good, Andy,” he says looking at the camera.  Good luck with that.

He turns around to see Karen, nearly through with her things.  “This is going to be an adventure.”

“Yes.  This is going to be very interesting,” he affirms, “All right, I’m out of here.  See you later?”

They high-five, “Right on,” and as he turns and walks away, she looks on, forlorn as ever.  She knows this is stupid.  She knows how much of a sweetheart Pam seems to be, how much the two deserve each other.  So why does it still sting, even now?  After months?  It doesn’t make sense… much like what she spots Andy doing, him rolling his old desk chair with something on it.

“Hey, is that Josh’s computer?”
“What?”


When Toby enters the same morning, Pam congratulates him on finishing the run he was a part of.

“Psh, why is that great?” Dwight snidely remarks by the copier.

“Because he accomplished something.”  She’s not dealing with him today.

“What was your mile time?” Dwight asks Toby.

“About seven,” he answers with a humble sense of pride.

“I could beat that on a skateboard,” Dwight scoffs.

“Well, that has wheels.”

“Yeah, well my feet don’t.  And I can still crush that time.”

Pam decides to put his speed to the test because according to Dwight himself, he is fast.  “To give you a reference point: I’m somewhere between a snake and a mongoose.  And a panther.”

Pam prepares a race between Dwight and Toby, of which Toby is none the wiser; she’ll time him later.

She elaborates to the crew, “Am I being mean to Dwight?  I don’t know.  I did just make him run around the building and I have no intention of timing him.  This isn’t even a stopwatch, it’s a digital thermometer.  He does make my life harder, sometimes.  And on purpose.  Like he tried to put meters on the bathroom stalls as a way of bringing in more money for the company.”  She then notices Dwight, “Hey, three more laps to go!  Gotta pick it up if you’re going to beat Toby!”

“AHHHH!”

“I should probably get back to work.”


“Here.  Who’s here?” Michael asks Dwight as they go desk-to-desk.

“Nametag?”

“Yes, please.”
“Karen Filippelli.”

“Karen Filip—” he can’t help himself, “uh, a-Fili-péll-li.”

“Probably Italian.  Possibly Filipino.”

Yes, Scranton is absorbing the Stamford branch, though Michael feels it’s more his family is doubling in size.  “I have a gigantic performance ahead of me,” he tells the crew, “And I have to get into my head and focus.”

And a performance it will be.

After labeling Martin Nash of Supplier Relations (who Dwight Google Image searched) and Andy’s desks, Dwight has an out-there statement.  “I would fire Anthony Gardner.”
“What?”
“before noon”
“I’m not”
“to consolidate power.”
“I’m not firing somebody on the first day.”
“No no no, not somebody, Gardner.”

His reasoning is fascinating, “The Japanese camp guards of World War II always chose one man to kill whenever a batch of new prisoners arrived.  I always wondered how they chose the man who was to die… I think I would have been good at choosing the person.”  He sure would.

Pam enters, with two large grocery bags in tow.  She’s told by Michael to set them up in the conference room “As if you are trying to impress a much older man who’s way out of your league.”  Pam should be annoyed enough with that statement to refute it, but she’s too giddy to care.

“Yes!  I’m in a good mood today!” Pam says, “I’m excited to meet all the new people,” she can’t hide it, “and to see my old friend again, definitely.”  Yes, an old friend.  “That’s always a thing that makes people happy… to have an old friend back.”  That look of hers gives it away, as always.


Five Stamford employees enter, and only one will remain.  Who’ll it be?  Let’s find out!

In walks the first contestant, HANNAH.  “Welcome to Scranton,” Michael greets, “This is Hannah Smoterich-Barr.”
“Hannah Smoterich-Barr.”

“Welcome to our humble abode.  Follow me to your desk.  Your ball and chain is right over here.”  The cameras catch Kevin hiding his jar of M&Ms.  Smart man, that Kevin.

Michael addresses the crew yet again, “You know for a lot of these people this is the only family they have.”  Sure.  “So… As far as I’m concerned,” he holds up his ‘WORLD’S BEST BOSS’ coffee mug, “this says ‘World’s Best Dad’.”

In walks TONY, Contestant #2.  Kevin’s upset that he didn’t get a gift bag; Hannah remarks to him that hers is only pencils.  And coupons.

In walks KAREN, #3.  Pam and her immediately hit it off, Karen complimenting Pam’s sweater.  Naturally, in walks Michael to make things worse.  “Take me to your lead-er!  Oh, wait, I am your lead-er!” he introduces in a faux-robot/Martian voice.

Like anyone else, Karen’s confused, “Uh, wait, are you a robot or a Martian?”

He attempts to shrug it off, “I am actually your boss, Michael Scott.  Welcome.  Wow!  You are very exotic looking.  Was your dad a G.I. or uh?”

Karen’s always up for a challenge… and this might be the most trying one yet.  Pam’s “disappointed mother” look at Michael doesn’t ease her worries.

Right outside is #4, ANDY, who’s confident about his chances, “I’ll be the Number Two guy here in Scranton in six weeks.  How?  Name repetition, personality mirroring, and never breaking off a handshake.  I’m always thinking one step ahead.  Like a… carpenter… that makes stairs.”  He’s already got Michael Scott’s skills of analogy.

Andy’s surprisingly great first impression gets Michael’s attention.  “You know who I really like, is this guy Andy Bernard,” he tells the crew, “He has got this very likable way about him.”  Turns out Jim was wrong about the whole “kissass” thing.

And finally, there’s Contestant #5, MARTIN, walking alongside someone else… someone who’s happy to be back.

Pam’s demeanor brightens at the camera as she organizes her hair.  After a brief and awkward welcome back from Michael (and an even more awkward one for Martin that included the word ‘slaves’), Pam can hardly take it.

“Hi, I’m Jim,” Jim greets, “I’m new here.”

“Oh, my God!  You’re back!”  She runs up to his arms and they embrace, both of them laughing away and ignorant of the office that they’re in and the people right in front of them.

The cameras catch Jim noticing Karen unpacking her stuff, so he tries to keep things under wraps, “Yeah, I was just doing a little joke there about how we’d never met—”

“I know, I don’t care.”  She cares so little that she grabs his cheeks, brings him down to her, and kisses him in front of the entire offi—
“Oh, my God!”

Kelly’s entrance from the kitchen finally catches the attention of practically every employee (sans Ryan).

It’s over now.  They know.  All of them know.  And with Kelly’s exclamation, they realize
Oh, God.
Oh, God.

there is no escape.

Everyone just stares at Jim and Pam, the two of them still frozen stiff as they become the one thing they constantly try to avoid: the center of attention.

Michael looks at the two, secretly praying this moment would come, “No way.”

“What?” Dwight asks, legitimately surprised.

“You guys are together?” Phyllis pipes up, sporting the most supportive grin she’s ever worn.

Jim answers with an “Uhm…” sporting an inquisitive look.  Pam’s still shaking inside, looking at him and wondering how the hell he was gonna approach this.  And then, the inevitable happens:

“Yyyup.”

Jim catches the shock and elation on her face from his peripheral vision, and he becomes just as excited as he confirms it verbally, “Yes, we are.”

WHOA, WOW!” Michael’s enthusiasm is practically infectious as the rest of the office celebrates accordingly.
Kelly jumps for joy and claps.
Phyllis continues to grin, rubbing her hands together, in glee.
Kevin stands and shouts an “I knew it!” from his desk.
Stanley, as usual, displays no interest, besides the subtle smirk.
Angela rolls her eyes, effectively hiding her true response.
Andy shouts an oddly supportive “TUNA!” and grants Jim a thumbs up.
Meredith gives the two of them small applause.
Creed tries to see what’s happening, yet doesn’t consider standing up.
Toby stands there longingly with a pathetic “hooray.”
The rest of the Stamford employees offer polite looks.
Dwight’s response is a simple shrug of ‘…Huh.’
And even Karen, despite everything, offers a wide and supportive smile, which the couple notices and the cameras capture.  Because they’ve earned this.  It was a challenge for them, and they made it.  She’s genuinely proud of them.

Cut to Jim addressing this to the crew, “Pam and I decided to reunite in person the day I started work…” he nods solemnly, “a pretty bad idea in hindsight,” he ends with his signature smirk.

“Okay, mind is exploding, get over here, come on,” he grabs each of the couple’s hands, making sure the whole office knows they’re in love, “Everyone, this is a day that will live in infamy,
Jim just turns to the camera and raises his eyebrows knowingly.

“because today, is the day
Pam just looks at Michael, embarrassed beyond belief but honestly touched.

“that two branches
Dwight nods his head, wearing a supportive half-smile.

“and two hearts…
Angela attempts to hide her own smile in support of the two.

“become one.”

Jim feels the need to clarify, “We’ve been dating for six months.”
“I… love you guys, so much.”

Michael embraces Jim, but Pam is saved by the bell as the phone rings and she walks over to answer it.  “No no no, Pam, let ’em ring,” Michael presses, “Let the bells… of Dunder Mifflin chime out your love.”  The cameras capture Stanley’s complete disinterest.  “Because… this is really good!” Michael is near tears, “This is really good,” Karen relaxes at her new desk, still a bit down, as her new boss grabs something from Jim’s old desk, “My heart… soars… with the eagle’s nest.”

A true expression of love, indeed.

Still standing on Cloud 9, Jim leans over Pam’s desk as always as she finishes her call, “Awesome,” he tells her quietly, “Good to be back.”

“Alright, I’ll transfer you,” she finishes, hanging up the phone.  “It’s really good to see you.”  I love you.

“You, too.”  Love you, too.  As he strides to his desk, a certain other reunion occurs.

“Well, well, well.  Look what the cat dragged in from Stamford.”

“Hey, Dwight.”

“Fact: I am older.  I am wiser.  Do not mess with me.”

“Okay, sounds good.”  After the simple yet effective prank of looking just above Dwight’s line of sight, Jim spots Ryan, his former replacement.

“Hey, buddy.  Welcome back!”

Oh, it’s him.  “Hey!  How are you, man?  Good to see you.”

“I’m good!  How are you?”  And Ryan drops his bag on the desk.  The awkwardness is palpable. “So…”

Jim tries to alleviate things, “Oh, I’m sorry.  Are you sitting here now?”

“Yeah,” Ryan answers with quiet confidence.

“Oh.”  Yup, there it is.

“Um… unless you really, really want it back.”

Well, I would like it back, but “You know, man, it’s really your… call—”

“Cool, thank you,” Ryan hurriedly answers.  Alrighty then.

Jim, not appreciating Ryan’s actions, quickly grabs his stuff and slinks over to the desk across from Dwight, “This one taken?  No?  Good.”  Pan over to Pam who looks at the camera, annoyed for Jim, as she turns back to the computer.

“Yeah, Jim is a nice guy,” Ryan confirms to the crew, “That’s why I got the desk,” he finishes with his own signature smirk.  Hey, if he says it with enough confidence then it must be true, right?

Thankfully, Jim’s other reunions throughout the day aren’t nearly as awkward.
— Kevin tells him that if he wants any of his M&Ms, his jar is under the table; he has to hide it from them.
— Angela tells him he needs a haircut; it’s flipping out on the sides.
— He and Toby share a fist bump; it takes Jim a bit to realize what that is.
— Kelly has so much to tell him!  Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes now have a baby and they named it Suri.  And now Brangelina have a daughter named Shiloh.  And both babies are amazing!  That’s pretty much it.

It feels good to be back.


Toby gives Kevin an important task, probably his favorite thing to do in the office: shredding company documents.

“In general, they do not give me much responsibility,” Kevin admits to the crew, “But they do let me shred the company documents.  And that is really all I need.”  He beams with pride as he looks down at his own Staples brand shredder.

It truly is the simple things in life.


Dwight watches on in righteous fury as Andy continues to brown-nose his new boss; it’s finally time to make his presence known to the enemy.

“Hello.  I don’t believe we’ve been introduced,” Dwight says to Andy, “Dwight Schrute, Assistant Regional Manager.”

“Andy Bernard, Regional Director in Charge of Sales.”  A real title, actually, just not one he has.

“So you’ll be reporting to me, then.”

“Mm, on the contrary.”

“My title has ‘Manager’ in it.”

“And I’m a director.”  He’s not.

“Oh.”

“Which on a film set is the highest title there is.  Do you know anything about film?”

“I know everything about film.  I’ve seen over 240 of them.”

“Congratulations.”

Their forced grimaces and never-ending handshake proves that the seeds of war have just been planted.


Jim’s not sure why he was so fixated on the whole desk thing.  I mean, why does it matter?  It’s a desk, there’s another one right there.  The office looks the exact same, just with more desks.  Pam wore a blue dress.  It just happened to be Casino Night.  Maybe he’s just wanting to go back to a time where everything was normal.  Before he left.  Before the piss-poor decision that inadvertently caused this to happen in the first place thanks to Jan’s intervention (then again he thanks God Scranton’s still open).

He wants to forget that Stamford ever happened, but he can’t.

So Pam, ever-perceptive, sees that he’s not busy and walks over to Jim’s desk.  “This is weird with you facing the other way,” she quietly mentions.

Her plan is working, “Yeah, I never even knew that part of the office existed,” she chuckles at his response, “Hey, who’s that guy?” he asks, pointing at Stanley.

“That’s Stanley Hudson.”
“Huh.”
“He’s one of our salesmen.”

“Seems like a nice enough guy,” he states, noticing him mid-crossword.

“Oh, very.”

“What about, uh…” he points at Meredith.

“Hmm, that is… Janet Fenstermaker.”

“Really?”

She nods, “You should say hi.  Use her full name.”

“Thank you for all of this,” his sarcasm is on full display, “This is so helpful.  You know what?  One last question,” he points over to Creed reading the paper, “Um, who is that fine older gentleman in the corner?”

“Uh, that is Creed Bratton.  He has four toes and he fought in the Civil war.”

“For the North.”

“For both sides.  Whoever paid more.”

“Obviously.”
“Yeah.”

“Hey, uh sorry,” Ryan interjects, “Seriously, can you guys… I’m trying to get some work done.”

The two look at each other and realize that, yeah, they are on the clock.  The “work reunion” idea really was a poor one in hindsight.

“Oh yeah.”
“Sorry, man.”
“Sorry about that.”  Pam slinks back to her desk as Jim continues his lull, doing nothing.

“Thanks.”  God, they’re annoying.  They really do deserve each other.

Pam felt the need to say something, so an AOL direct message shows up on his computer:

Receptionitis15: Sorry I got you in trouble. :(

JIM9334: Don’t apologize, I kinda needed that. :)

He can practically see her face brighten from behind, as his face does as well.

Turn to Karen who takes notice of Jim, specifically… and looks puzzled.


Kevin accidentally breaks the shredder trying to shred his credit card.

Thankfully, he has cash.


“We need to talk!”  Dwight bursts in as Michael prepares his presentation.

“Not now.”

“Which is higher?  Assistant Regional Manager or Regional Director in Charge of Sales?”

“I told you the titles are irrelevant.  They just relate to pay scale.”  Michael’s not too far off.

“Okay, so who gets paid more?  Me or Andy?”

“It is not a matter of more or less.  Your pay is just different.  Okay?”  He just needs to practice for his big show today.  “All right!  Showtime, Part One.”

“Okay, who reports to who?”

“I don’t care, Dwight!  You all report to me!  That’s all that matters!  The rest of it, just work out amongst yourselves, okay?”  This, in retrospect, was probably the worst thing he could have said.

“And then if I want—”
Work it out amongst yourselves!”
“I—”
Please!  I have a company to run.  Will you let me run the company?”

“I—”
“Will you?”
“One:—”
“Please?”

And, for the first time in eight years, Dwight walks out of Michael’s office, dejected.  He’s always been undervalued, underappreciated, under-loved.  And here comes some fancy haircut who seeks to steal his reputation right from under him.  And it’s not even Jim!

And Michael, well, he often doesn’t know what he has until it’s gone.

Don’t worry, Dwight, history will vindicate you soon enough.


The official Merger Day All-Family Welcome Breakfast has commenced!
…For the Stamford guests, that is.

Jim sees Michael deny his fellow employees champagne and salmon because they’re for “Guests only,” Jim leans over to Pam, “Y’know if I get salmon and give some to you, does that still count?”

“Mm, I’m not hungry enough.”

“Right, we’ll try it later.”

“Awesome.”
“Yeah.”

Their demeanor just puzzles Karen even more.

After Toby gives Michael the orientation tools (which he promptly denies), he decides to present the office with a video that will answer all of their questions: ‘Lazy Scranton’.

It is exactly what you think it is.

Jim aptly describes it to the crew later on, “It reminds me of the orientation video showed on my first day. ‘The Scranton Witch Project’.”  (“I am so scared… when people don’t label their personal food.”)

Michael says it’s an A++.  Clearly.


Karen has felt out of place all day, more so than Jim.

Jim hasn’t been ghosting her, per se, but he’s been around Pam most of the day so far.  It makes sense, the two have been separated for the better part of six months, topped off with a complicated history before his transfer in mid-May, Romeo-and-Juliet-ing for six damn years.  They’ve certainly earned today, for sure.  But shouldn’t her feelings be considered, too?  Isn’t she going through what Pam went through for years?  It’s stinging far more than it should.

Maybe Scranton was a mistake.

She dwells on this as she records her answering machine, “This is Karen Filippelli.  Please leave a message.”

Jim, overhearing, decides to do what he’s always done for her: brighten her day, “Terrible.  Totally unconvincing.”

She smiles and does another take, “This is Karen Filippelli.  Please leave a message.”

“Not bad, but you are Italian so… try it more Italian.”

And she goes full Mario, “Dis is Kar-en Fili-péll-li.  Please leave-a me de més-sage.  A bon danza.”

He chuckles, “You feel good?”
“Mm-hm.”
“All right.”

For a brief moment, Stamford Jim was back… and was gone again in a flash.  She just has to accept that “Stamford Jim” was never a thing.  It was never meant to be.  Her answering machine greeting ended up a simple ‘“Karen Filippelli” is not available.’

Pan over to Pam once again, feeling a strong sense of remorse.  Falling for Jim is her biggest beef with Karen, and even then she respects both of them and their relationship.  Shouldn’t Karen’s feelings be considered, too?  Isn’t Karen going through what she went through for years?  She understands far too well to not do something.  She needs to reach out to her.

Besides, it’d be nice to have a real friend in the office.


“Hey, buddy,” Andy greets Dwight, “Anything new to report?”

“Do you mean to me?  From you?” he leans in for emphasis, “’Cause that’s how it works.”

“Sure thing, buddy.”

Dwight freezes, realizing that Andy isn’t intimidated by him… and he’s starting to get intimidated by Andy.  As pathetic as that sounds.

“Am I trying to get under his skin?” Andy answers the crew, “Yes.  Because the angrier he gets, the more marginalized he becomes.  Meanwhile, Andy Bernard is out there layin’ on the charm.”  If that’s what you call it.  It’s rather unfortunate since, if he’s going after Dwight, the branch might not have a backbone anymore… much like Andy himself, funnily enough.

His gaining Angela’s interest with a cat screensaver doesn’t help Dwight any, either.  Give Andy this, he knows what he’s doing.


“Hey!” Pam greets Jim happily as he enters the breakroom.

“Hey!” Jim returns.

“Got you one,” she hands him a grape soda.

“Oh, thanks.  I was gonna get bottled water.”

She smirks, sitting down at one of the tables, “Still on that phase?”

“I’ve evolved, Pam,” he jokes grabbing the bottle, “you know this.”

“Oh yeah, you’ve changed so much,” she retorts sarcastically.

He grabs the soda as he sits by her, “I’ll drink this during lunch.”

“You don’t have to,” she responds sweetly.

He holds her hand over the table, “Trust me, I’m gonna need it.”

Her smile brightens the room as she leans over to kiss him on the cheek.  “So, are you settled?”

“Well, there’s still—”

“Uh, excuse me?” Toby quietly interrupts.

“Hey.”
“What’s up?”

“I just wanted to remind you two of rules, ’bout… PDA.”

They look at each other and realize what’s happening.

“Oh.  We’re so sorry—”
“Yeah, w-we don’t mean to—”

“No no, you guys are fine,” Toby, wanting Pam — well, really both to be happy — simply nods in understanding, “just… y’know.”

“Oh, of course.”
“Sure thing, man.”

And enter Michael, who looks at the display and decides to ‘help,’ “Is he bothering you two?” he asks the couple, pointing to Toby.

“No, he’s fine.”
“He’s not bothering us.”

He directs his attention to Toby, “What is it, Toby, that you have against their love?”

“Michael, I wasn’t… trying to—”

“It’s beautiful…”

Pam pipes up, “Michael—”

“It’s young…”

Jim’s up next, “Don’t—”

“I-it’s supple…”

“Oh, God.”
“Mm-mm, nope.”

“In fact,” Michael points to the two, “Go ahead.  Kiss again.”  The two freeze.  “Let your love… flow through you.”

“All right!  I should probably get back to work,” Jim hurriedly gets up and walks out.

“Yeah, I-I think I hear…” she doesn’t bother as she just as quickly speeds out of there.

Michael turns back to Toby incredulously, “You see what you do?”

Toby awaits that fateful plane ride to Costa Rica yet again.

“Today’s been… okay,” Jim admits to the crew, “I’d say a little chaotic, a lot of distractions, but overall… not bad?” he looks to the camera inquisitively, not sure of his answer, “Yeah, that’s it.”

As Jim passes Karen drinking her coffee on his way back to work, Pam follows, but stops when she sees her, “Hello again.”

“Oh, hey!” Karen greets.

Come on, just be honest.  “I just wanted to thank you for being there for Jim.”  Well, it’s the best I got.

Karen can’t help but feel bad.  Pam doesn’t have a reason to feel like this, this is her deal.  Pam just wants to be her friend, and she can tell she’s a good friend, too.  She does want another friend in this office besides her crush, even if it is his girlfriend.  “Of course,” she responds genuinely, “He’s a great guy.”

“He really is,” Pam wonders how to proceed next, “I’m sorry he ruined Call of Duty for you.”

And Karen instantly likes her, “Don’t be, it’s downright adorable.”

What a relief!  “I’ve never picked up a game controller in my life and I had to give him pointers.”

“That is amazing,” Karen’s near laughter, “Frankly, I’m just glad he didn’t throw up in my car.  You know about that, right?”

“Oh, yeah yeah.”  I hope Jim can forgive me.  “Hey, lean in… He threw up in mine.”

Well, now Karen needs to know, “Tell me everything.”

“Well, it was our three month—”

“Hey, girls, what’s happening?” another impromptu and unnecessary appearance from Michael, “Starting to blend?” He looks at the camera for his excellent pun as both ladies nod with small smiles, “Well, before long, you guys keep hanging out, you two you are gonna share the same menstrual cycle.”  As Michael walks out, Karen’s eyes widen in absolute shock as Pam quietly apologizes for him.

Karen just shrugs it off.  Hopefully she’ll make this challenge feel less grueling.


To absolutely no one’s surprise, the Stamford and Scranton employees don’t get along very well.

For instance, Hannah using her breast pump in the middle of the workday for everyone to see, providing Ryan with yet another distraction and another bombed sales call.  Her left breast caught Creed’s eye, and it ended up on his computer (right place, right time).  She’s also a neat freak that separates things from hers and Meredith’s desk, who is nonplussed.

Then there’s Martin, who’s happy to have another hard-working Black man working in the same industry.  Stanley couldn’t care less.  Also, Martin can’t ignore the intense death smell of Creed’s mung beans.

Speaking of smells, Karen does not make a good first impression on Phyllis, as she’s not a fan of her perfume.  “Bob Vance bought this perfume for me in Metropolitan Orlando,” Phyllis passive-aggressively informs her, “It’s made from real pine.”

“Who’s Bob Vance?” Karen asks.

“You have a lot to learn about this town, sweetie.”  Indeed she does.  Stanley put up with the perfume for years, why can’t these new people?

Dwight further continues to stew as Andy makes a good first impression on Kevin.  Andy’s setting the seed to every Scrantonite there is.  He’s threatening Dwight’s rule.

He has to go.

“People hate people that are different from them, that’s natural,” Michael responds to all the uncomfortable exchanges to the crew, “But you know what makes people forget their differences?  A great show.  That is why I created the ‘Integration Celebration’.  This is the moment when Scranton and Stamford come together as one.  United… in applause.”

And, like all of Michael’s plans, it’ll go off without a hitch.


The meeting begins with a painful Night at the Roxbury reference (where Andy upstages Dwight once more).  Jim accepts this is happening while poor Tony is getting chest-bumped by Michael and Andy.

Next up, the table thing.  “Why are the new people on the table?  To show them that we are not above them.”

“Shouldn’t we be equals?” Karen rightfully asks.

“Not today, no.”  That stands to reason.  “Tony!  Please join your cohorts on the table if you would.”

Tony politely refuses, “Uh, this is difficult, for me.”

“I understand.  We’re all friends.”

“No, I mean I can’t.  Physically.  I can’t get on the table.”

“Oh, well.  Just use the momentum of your lower half to hoist yourself up.”

Tony refuses Michael’s help, so naturally, Michael and Dwight try to help, resulting in an outburst from Tony, who’s just done.  “It’s just not going to work for me.”

“What—”

“I have to go.”

“I don’t understand.”

“I was on the fence about this and… it’s just not a good fit.”  The camera doesn’t catch Karen’s reaction to that.

“Well, we’ll squeeze you in.”

“I can’t work here.  I have to quit.”

Yup, Tony Gardner is quitting his job in Dunder Mifflin Scranton on his first day.  It’s not the first time this has happened.

“You can’t quit!” Michael says nervously, “On the first day.  That’s— heresy, my friend!” he tries to find the root cause, “Okay, let’s talk about this.  What happened?  I mean, what… Was it Toby?  Did he say something? Cause he’s… what?”

Tony is honest to Michael, which brings about his downfall, “No.  Toby was helpful, he was very kind… it’s just your management style.”

Oddly enough, this statement is not what sets the bomb off, but rather Tony admitting he thought ‘Lazy Scranton’ wasn’t meant to be funny.

Michael outright fires Tony right there, telling Dwight that it was the best advice he’s ever given him, finally beating Andy at his own game.  Then Dwight immediately pushes his luck by telling Michael to fire Andy, who’s too angry about Tony’s comments on ‘Lazy Scranton’.

“Dwight may have won the battle,” Andy tells the crew, “But I will win… the next battle.”  Oh, but Andy won’t be winning the war.

And thus, the whole office collectively decides that they just have to work together, not get along.  Michael refuses this notion, as he tells the crew, “The word merger comes from the word marriage.”  Sure.  “And that was what today was supposed to be.  The loving union between people.  Instead, it has become like… when my Mom moved in with Jeff.  And once again, it becomes my job to fix it.”  This one anecdote explains so much.

So now he claims that Vance Refrigeration’s crew slashed all of their tires.  Pam immediately joins Jim as he puts his coat on, as Karen walks up to the two, “Does Bob Vance work for Vance Refrigeration?”

“Mm-hm,” Pam responds as she grabs her coat.

“Does he ever,” Jim replies as the three of them lightly chuckle about it.

Hopefully, Scranton will become the challenge she needs.  It will, in a way.

So as Michael attempts to get all of them to steal refrigerators so they can work together (shaming them for not doing so) leaving practically everyone flabbergasted (except for Dwight, who was in on it.)

“This is EGREGIOUS!” Michael shouts as the camera focuses on Pam lovingly rubbing Jim’s back, “This is egregious!” Turn to Karen, wearing a look that can best be described as ‘acceptance.’  Nothing to be done now.  Besides, they’re her friends.  She’s finally starting to get over it.  The impact is lessening, the grip is loosening.

Michael did do one thing right today: he finally got them all to work together and get along… by acting as unprofessional as he’s ever been.

In the end, the bind that ties is the hatred of one Michael Gary Scott.

Thankfully, Karen’s quick on the uptake and knows who Bob Vance is now.  Phyllis beams at the girl.  She’s learning.

“See that?  Mission accomplished,” Michael states proudly from his office, “Like a bunch of fourth-graders.  Sometimes, what brings the kids together is hating the lunch lady.  Although that’ll change.”  Maybe.  “Because, by the end of the fourth grade, the lunch lady was actually the person I hung out with the most.”  Again, this statement explains so much.

He hears the phone ring, “Jell-o!”

Of course, it’s Jan.  [“Michael!”]

“Hi, Jan!”
[“Did you fire Tony Gardner when he was trying to quit?”]

“I did.  Major personnel crisis averted.  Compliment accepted.”

[“Do you realize, Michael, that we now have to pay him severance?”]

“Yes. … ”

[“You do?”]

“…But do you realize that that was actually Dwight’s idea?” of course he’s throwing him under the bus, “Bad advice from my Number Two.”

[“What— no.  No.  No, Jim is your Number Two.”]

“What?”

[“He’s the only one who has worked with both groups.  I sent you a memo about this.”]

“Yes, I know that.  For, I do read the memos.”  He does not read the memos.

So after a brief argument from Dwight and Andy as to who would be Number Three, all three salesmen walk out of his office, Jim approaching Pam’s desk once again.

She looks at him knowingly, “Still A.R.M.?”

“Oddly enough, yes.”

“Thank God.”

He leans in, “You still up for tonight?”

“Yeah,” she responds quietly, “Are you?”

“I… I think it’d be nice.”

“Yeah,” she responds.  She can sense something’s up.  “You okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

She looks at him, Wanna talk about it?

He shakes his head, Not here.

Okay.

“Night, guys!” Karen signals to the two.

“Goodnight!”
“Night.”

Karen walks to the elevator where she sees a young man waiting for it as well.  “So, where are you off to?”

“The grocery store.  Buying a corkscrew to give myself a lobotomy.”

He laughs, “What’s wrong?  You didn’t have a good first day?”

“Oh, my God!”

“Some of the others and I are gonna meet at Cooper’s in an hour.  Care to join?”

“I’d like that, I need a drink.”

“You and me both.”

She turns to him, “Ryan, is it?”

“Ryan Howard.”  He sticks out his hand.

She returns it, “Karen Filipelli.”

Maybe this won’t be such a challenge, after all.


Kevin’s at his desk making his salad with his brand-new shredder, with thousand-island to boot.

“Where’d you get that salad?” Meredith asks.

“Staples.”


Soon after Karen and Ryan’s departure, Andy and Dwight have their own interaction in the elevator.

“Saw your dorkmobile in the parking lot.  What does it get, like four miles to the gallon?”

“Uh, try double that.  Classic TransAm, vintage American muscle.  Tsh.”

“Yeah, my Xterra’s pretty sweet.  Luxurious, yet rugged.  Leave it to the Japanese.”

“Xterra’s not even a real word.”

“Actually, it is.  It’s Latin for ‘earth’.”

“Oh, so you drive an ‘Xearth’?”

“Yeah.”

“That makes sense.  I’d rather drive a classic TransAm than an ‘Xearth’.”

“Yeah, I bet you would.  Oh, uh, by the way, 1985 called.  It wants its car back.”

“Well, I hope 1985 has a time machine ’cause I drive an ’87.”

“Oh, speaking of time machines, I just got back from the future and I went to your funeral, and guess what, nobody came.”

“Speaking of funerals, why don’t you go ahead and go die.”

“Oh, that was a really well-constructed sentence.  You should be an English professor at Cor-not University.”

“Idiot!”

“If I were an idiot, I’d be driving a TransAm.”

“If you were driving a TransAm, you would be the smartest idiot in the whole world.”

“*cough*I-Idiot!*cough*”

“*cough*Y-you’re the *cough*i-idiot!”

“*cough*N-nice *cough*c-come*cough*b-back!”

“*cough*I was making fun of *cough*y-your comeback!  *cough*T-that’s why it *cough*worke-d!”  As Andy walks out, Dwight turns to the camera, “Totally got the best of that interchange.”  He then starts to cough heavily.

Now the war has truly begun.


Jim’s leaning by his car as Creed drives off.

“Night, Creed.”

“So long, Tim!”

He then sees Pam walk out of the building, “You finished?”

“Yeah,” they meet halfway and embrace, “Thanks for the ride, by the way,” she says, looking up at him.

“Sure,” he kisses the top of her head.

Now for her to find out what’s off, “What happened?”

“Oh, nothing.  Today felt… a little weird, don’t you think?”

“That’s probably on me.  The whole ‘work reunion’ thing didn’t pan out as I hoped.”

“Hey, you were the best part about today.”

“Thank you,” she grabs him tighter as he does the same.

He sighs and slowly lets go of her but holds her hands, “Even though I’ve come back… I just, I feel like I haven’t really… come back.”

Pam looks at him and understands.  He now needs to adjust to a lot more than a new desk.  She flashes a supportive smile, “You will.  It’s only day one.  Give it time.”

He nods, “Yeah, you’re right.”  After another kiss on the lips, he grabs his iPod, “Oh, by the way, tell your mom I said thanks again for the new iPod.  She really didn’t have to.”

“She told me it was the least she could do, she felt bad for missing your birthday.”

“She’s fine,” they set in motion what they planned earlier, “Well, got some new music on it.”

“Really?”

“Yeah,” he hands her an earbud.  With a knowing smirk, she takes it and puts it in her ear.  After he presses play, the two take a second and beam at each other — Pam nearing happy tears as Jim brushes them away, his face sore from smiling — and the melodic sounds of guitar riffs leads to them dance-swaying in the parking lot after everyone else has left.

A weird day, to be sure, but not a bad one.  At least now there’s no reason to hide.  The office finally knows, the cameras finally got their story, and Jim Halpert and Pam Beesly finally get their peace.  A six-month slog that became worth every laugh, every tear, every argument, every text, phone call, letter, gift, everything.  Beyond that, the fact that their coworkers were so supportive of their relationship when it was announced, topped off with Michael’s oddly touching if self-indulgent and confused speech, just proves not only how kind and supportive they can be when they’re not being their coworkers, but also that they saw this coming; that moment made the two realize how perceptive those crazies really are.  Jim’s departure made the office quiet and remorseful, but his return was met with hearts soaring with the eagle’s nest.

This chapter of their lives has ended, with many more to come, all captured on camera for the world to see.  But for now, the Heart of Dunder Mifflin Scranton has returned, reunited with the one who’ll keep it beating.

All this feels strange and untrue
And I won’t waste a minute without you…

Chapter End Notes:

Image courtesy of etsy.com.
Considering the break I took, I wanted to make this the most loaded chapter, especially since this becomes the major turning point, so I won’t go into every detail as I attempt to keep this brief. Also, formatting this was an uphill climb but WELL worth it.

The Emails — Something I considered adding to the last chapter at the end but decided not to, due to the possibility of it being so inaccurate that I have to edit it to death (which has happened before).  But I loved writing them too much to not share, and they include some Jan-related content for later on.

The Monologue — Yup, another one of these.  I sought to make it uncomfortable for both parties, mostly because for the both of them—especially Pam—this night defined their relationship, for better and especially worse.  Sprinkling their rapport after all of the heavy stuff felt necessary.
And that’s it from “The Office Couple!”  I felt cataloging their relationship pre-season could help both justify and organize all my out-there ideas.  I’m sure you can guess who I’m starting with in The Love You Gave.

The Episode — Y’know, most find will-they-won’t-they arcs to be compelling, and more power to them!  I often call them “endurance tests.”  I get that it’s the initial appeal of the couple, to begin with, but I can only tolerate stupid people hurting themselves emotionally for so long, hence the fanfiction rebuttal you’re reading now (and like 1,000 others on this site).
Aside from the parts I can thankfully skip, much like S3 itself, this episode is a bonafide classic.  Not as much as the next one, but still up there.  A lot of good deleted material here as well, a shame some of it got cut.  And redoing the awkward breakroom room scene was quite fun.
The schmaltzy ending is schmaltzy, but ’ey, with sentimental goofs like these two it makes sense.

The Second Reveal — This was the most difficult part with this whole chapter and probably why I put it off for a time because there are too many scenarios of them getting outed during key moments of “The Merger.”  I ended up with an impulsive kiss from Pam, because
1) Having the relationship established immediately made room for Michael’s grand speech and had it fit better.
2) Considering how impulsive she is around Jim, his influence is rubbing off on her.  It did with the phone call, buying the train tickets, and telling Roy they’re dating.  She starts to tone this down, so I wanted to present this as the apex.
Also, Kelly didn’t seem to be present in-canon and I felt her reaction was necessary.

Supple.



3vasectomies is the author of 18 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 10 members. Members who liked All I Needed also liked 411 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Only You: A Novelization. The next story in the series is The Love You Gave.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans