- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Standard disclaimer applies.
Author's Chapter Notes:
I know I said I was going to work on my WIP's. However, have you ever gotten lines from movie, or lyrics from a song just 100% stuck in your head? You try to get them out, but they just won't go away. That's what happened here with this particular plot bunny.

So I decided, the heck with it. It's a new year, it's time to be bold, daring, fearless even. The only way to get this bunny out of my head is to share it with everyone. It got a lot longer than I thought, but I wanted to keep it all in one go. So during the slow times of my job or after the kids went to bed I was able to get this written. Nice and swift-like for you all to hopefully enjoy.

“Welcome to the Bourne Mansion.”

Pam stepped out of the limo and into the humid late August air. She gave the doorman a shy smile and took a few steps forward to get clear of the door. Almost immediately her arm was grabbed from behind and jostled up and down excitedly.

“We’re here! Oh, this is going to be so exciting! You’re going to have a great time! I just know it!”

Taking a deep breath Pam smiled weakly at her sister before looking down at the dress she was sheathed in. “I’m glad you’re happy Penny.”

Penny shrugged her off as her boyfriend Craig exited the limo and held his elbow out for her. “Pam! It’s a party relax. Beside you look beautiful. Right Danny?”

Pam turned to where her own date was stepping out of the limo. He had his wallet out and was tipping the doorman. He tucked it away and gave the group a thousand-watt smile. “That’s what I’ve been telling her since we left Scranton.”

“Thank you,” Pam said politely.

“Shall we?” Danny offered Pam his elbow.

Pam took a moment before she slid her arm in the cook of Danny’s arm. Red bricks walls surrounded her on three sides that reached up two stories. Widows peaked out of the sloping roof that made up the third floor. Four towering white Corithian columns framed the entrance of the mansion. With a nudge, Danny led the group through the doors. Ornate furnishings drew Pam’s eye as they walked towards the ballroom. It was only Danny’s elbow around her arm that prevented her from crashing into another couple.

“Whoops!” Danny smiled at her as he steered her away from a collision. “Careful there.”

“Sorry,” Pam muttered as she felt her face flame.

She tried her best to avoid any other disasters as they made their way down the hallway. A large sign with scrolling letters sat on a table announcing the event.

Columbia University Alumni Society

2006 Regency Ball

Danny and Pam walked up to the table where two men in period clothing were taking tickets. Danny pulled out an envelope out of the inside of his tailcoat and handed it over. The men gladly accepted it and motioned for the pair to enter the ballroom. Penny and Craig were not far behind. Despite being on Danny’s arm, Pam stopped short as they walked through the doors.

Tall white walls sloped gracefully up to an elegant, frosted glass sunlight.  Arches lined the walls giving the room a regal feel. The main lights were dimmed though warm mood lighting along with small chandeliers set along with wall alcoves gave the large room an old-fashioned sense. Groups of people who had already entered the room were scattered around enjoying champagne and hors d’oeuvers.

Pam felt her arm torn out of Danny’s as Penny rushed forward to gape at the room. “Pam do you see this? The lights? The party? The ballgowns? It feels just like something out of a Jane Austin novel!”

“It is very beautiful,” Pam said in a small voice. A sudden pang in her stomach made her tear her gaze away from the ornate room. She turned to the rest of the group with an abashed expression. “I, um, need to use the restroom. Long drive you know.”

“No problem, Long Island is a hike from Scranton. Still, I’m sure it’s nice to escape that town for a little while.” Danny told her. “We’ll try to grab a table. Can I get you something from the bar?”

“No, I’m good, thank you.”

Quickly Pam ducked back out of the ballroom and stepped down the hall towards the signs indicating the restrooms. Her breaths started coming quicker as she neared the door. Throwing the door open she went to the sink and rested her hands on either side and tried to get her breathing under control.

“Hey! You okay?” Penny had followed her sister into the restroom.

“Yeah, sure,” Pam squeaked out.

Penny wasn’t buying it. She crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow at her sister. “Uh huh. Then explain the mad dash to get in here.”

“It’s just...I feel...I don’t know...like I shouldn’t be here,” she finally admitted.

“Hey,” Penny said gently as she stepped forward to put her hands on Pam’s shoulders. “I get that it’s been a rough summer. Breaking things off with Roy. Calling off the wedding. Moving back in with Mom and Dad while you hunt for an apartment.” Penny’s voice dropped as did her eyes. “All the conversations we had about Jim once I got back from college. That’s why I wanted you to come with me tonight. Get your mind off all that.”

Pam finally looked into the mirror and saw Penny’s kind and supportive expression. She swallowed the lump in her throat and felt the first genuine smile of the evening curl her lips upwards.

“Thanks sis.”

“You’re welcome,” Penny hugged Pam from behind. “And don’t give me any of that you’re not supposed to be here crap. You are just stunning tonight.”

Looking away from Penny’s reflection, Pam focused on her own. Layers of artful braids wrapped around a decorative hair clip before cascading over the rest of her auburn tresses she had left in their normal small curls. Her pastel pink sheath dress draped off her shoulders that were covered by cap sleeves. The dress dipped to a U-neck neckline that displayed just the right amount of her creamy décolletage. Even normally shy Pam had to admit the combination of the neckline and the ribbon of darker pink silk wrapped under her bosom did much to accentuate her natural curves. The white gloves that covered her arms past her elbows felt deliciously smooth against her skin as well. Penny’s outfit was similar, though her dress was a soft blue color that highlighted her blonde hair.

“Thank you,” Pam smiled.

“You’re welcome,” Penny said. “Looks like the time I spent on your hair and make-up was worth it.”

“Yeah, considering the only other person who’s ever wanted to make me over is Kelly from work and she’s always going for big and bold. I don’t think that’s me.”

“Oh no,” Penny agreed. “That’s why I went for simple and elegant. You’ll be radiant tonight; I just know it. Now if you’re all set, can we head back to the ballroom. They’re going to start the set dances soon.”

With a final breath of resolve Pam turned away from the mirror and walked back towards the hallway.

“How do a bunch of college students afford something like this?” Pam asked as they walked back down the hallway.

“It’s Columbia,” Penny said simply. “There’s tons of old money that flows in from the alumni.”

“I guess that’s fair,” Pam remarked as they turned the corner back into the ballroom.

“Looks like Craig has table for us.” Penny waved to her boyfriend when she spotted him.

He’d selected a table on the opposite side of the dance floor from the entrance to the ballroom. Pam and Penny had to dodge around several groups as they made their way to the table. Pam was able to get a sense of the crowd. A mix of upperclassmen undergrads, grad students, and alumni who were well into the workforce mingled throughout the hall.

“Hey Pen,” Craig said as he stood up from the table to greet Penny with a kiss on her cheek.

“Hey yourself. Is Elle here yet?” Penny scanned the room.

“Not yet. You know her, likes to be a little late to things.”

“Who’s Elle?” Pam asked.

“Oh, sorry Pam I should have told you.” Penny turned back to her sister. “Elle is my research partner for my senior project. She’s actually the one who got us the tickets here. Schmoozed one of our professors into a pretty sweet deal. She'll probably show up after the set dances when they start up some more modern music.”

“Oh, okay.”

Across the room the lights on the musicians brightened. The master of ceremonies stepped up behind a microphone to announce the first dance. Danny showed up at the table with drink in hand.

“Shall we?” He offered his hand to Pam.

Letting her gaze fall one last time to smooth invisible wrinkles in her dress, Pam then looked up at him and place her hand in his. “Thank you.”

They joined other ladies in ballgowns, and men dressed in tailcoats over waistcoats on the dance floor. The dancers were instructed to form two lines. One of ladies facing their gentlemen. Her nerves started to get to her again as the lines formed. The emcee signaled the musicians to start. Violins and flutes started a simple but bouncy melody. Under the careful direction of the emcee, the couples began to learn the steps of English Country dance. Pam immediately felt herself trip over the hem of her dress. The fact several other ladies had done as well was her only saving grace.

“Are you alright?” Danny asked after Pam regained her balance.

“Yeah, I’ll be alright.” She paused to and nodded her head to try and get back onto the beat of the music.

The rest of the brief lesson passed uneventfully for the most part. Pam only stepped on Danny’s toes twice. From her perspective the structured dance reminded her of learning square dance in high school gym class but felt much more formal. What was the same now as back then was the awkwardness she felt. Pam couldn’t quite remember where to step or put her hands which led her to try to focus harder, which made her more nervous, which made her misstep more. She was glad that style of dance lent itself to only holding hands with her partner rather than stepping in close to him or the various other men she traded off with during the course of the dance. It meant she didn’t have to focus on one particular partner. She did feel somewhat lost in the crowd though.

When the music ended, and the dancers looked up to the musicians to give them a well-earned round of applause. A second melody quickly started up. Despite the instructions of the last dance, Pam could help it. Her feet couldn’t stay on beat. She counted herself lucky she didn’t fall over during the second dance. Feeling uncomfortably warm due to the press of bodies on the dance floor she fanned her face and walked back to the table they had claimed earlier once the dance concluded. Gratefully she sat down in a chair closest to the dance floor and breathed a sigh of relief.

“How about that drink now?” Danny offered.

“Just water please,” Pam told him.

“Of course.” Danny walked away in the direction of the bar.

On the dance floor a third round of set dance was starting up. Pam grinned at Penny and Craig who had stayed on the floor. She was a little startled when Danny returned with her glass.

“Here you go, one water. Sure, you don’t want anything else?”

“No, I’m fine,” Pam said as she brough the glass to her mouth to sip.

“Penny and Craig seem to be having fun out there,” Danny commented as he sat in the seat next to her.

“Mmmhmm,” Pam murmured while sipping more of her water.

The pair sat in silence for a few beats watching the dancers. Pam resolutely kept her eyes on her sister. Danny was quick to pick up on the lack of conversation.

“Want to walk around a bit?” he asked. “Streach our legs?”

“I’m okay,” she told him. “But if you want to go ahead. I’ll keep an eye on our table.”

Danny looked at her quizzically. “You’re sure.”

“Yeah, I’ll be fine.”

“Okay, if you’re sure,” Danny said as he got up and buttoned his coat.

“I’m sure.”

“Okay, I’ll be back soon.”

Danny looked around the room. In a corner near the bar, he spotted a group of men talking by themselves and angled his way towards them. Out of the corner of her eye, Pam watched him. Smooth as silk he approached the table and introduced himself to the group. Even though she couldn’t hear their conversation over the music she was reluctantly impressed with the way her date could slide into any group and make a connection with them. The feeling passed a minute later when she saw him pull his business cards out of his jacket and hand them out.

“It’s a party Danny, not a work event,” she muttered under her breath. “Maybe try to have some fun.” Says the wallflower, she thought to herself at once.

Looking away from Danny, Pam saw the latest set dance had broken up. Penny was walking back to the table with Craig and a new young lady in tow. She was slightly taller than Penny and had a petite frame. Like the other women at the ball, she was dressed in a regency gown with tall gloves. Her straight brown hair fell past her neck to highlight a friendly smile.

“Pam,” Penny said as she approached the table. “Meet Elle, my research partner.”

“A pleasure,” Pam said as she stood up.

“Pleasure’s all mine.” Elle said with a dimpled grin. “I’ve heard a lot about you so it’s great to finally meet you in person.”

Pam cocked an eyebrow at her sister. “Been spilling secrets?”

Penny was unapologetic and gave a dismissive shrug. “It gets boring in the stacks of the library looking up obscure dates and names. We talk a lot about our families. I know about as much about her brothers as she knows about you.”

Modern dance music started coming from the speakers interrupting any further chit chat. Most of the younger people in the crown started migrating to the floor to revel in the freedom from the set dances.

“Ooh! I love this song!” Elle exclaimed. “Come on!”

Without warning or preamble, she grabbed Pam and Penny’s hands and dragged them out into the mass of bodies on the dance floor. Pam tried to protest but Elle simply cut off.

“Who cares what you look like?” she shouted to Pam over the music. “As long as you're having fun, that’s all that matters.”

Elle’s enthusiasm melted the fear of embarrassment lingering in Pam’s gut. She stated out slowly, bobbing from side to side in a rough approximation of the beat. With the smiling faces of Penny and Elle encouraging her, Pam gradually felt her last defenses fall and she let herself go to the music. The three ladies formed their own small dance circle. Finally relaxed, Pam leaned back and laughed at the antics of the other two. She felt herself stumble due to modern dance moves being harder to pull off in the ballgowns but was giggling when she caught her balance. Her face lit up in a grin rather than apologizing like she had during her earlier time on the floor. When the music changed to a slow song, the numbers on the floor decreased. Pam looked around wondering if her own date would appear. She saw him finishing his drink by their table.

Elle and Pam walked off the floor together since Craig had returned to whisk Penny away.

“Looks like you had fun out there,” Danny said as the duo approached the table.

A pinprick of annoyance registered in Pam’s mind. Why was his tone stiff there?

“We did, thank you.” Elle answered for Pam.

Danny gave her a brief smile and nod.

“I’m sorry, where are my manners?” Pam shrugged off the wayward thoughts and gestured to Elle. “Danny this is Penny’s friend from college, Elle. Elle my escort for the night, Danny Cordray.”

“Charmed, I’m sure,” Elle said in a faux-prim voice as she held her hand out palm down with her fingers slightly curved to Danny.

“Indeed,” Danny said to her and briefly took her glove-covered hand. He turned back to Pam. “I hope you don’t mind; I ran into an old business colleague of mine. He wants to talk shop.”

“No, go ahead,” Pam said.

“Thanks. I’ll check back in later.” With a last smile, Danny turned away.

Pam sat down in a chair and tried to process the emotions now coursing through mind. Elle noticed Pam’s demeanor right away and took a seat next to her new friend.

“Hey, you okay? Were you hoping he would ask you to dance or something?” Elle put a supportive hand on Pam’s shoulder.

“That’s just it,” Pam said into her lap before looking up at Elle. “I’m not disappointed at all. I'm relieved.”

“Relieved that you don’t have to dance with your date?” Elle cocked an eyebrow at Pam. “Forgive me, but that sounds kind of weird. Don’t you want to be with him?”

“Not really, no. It’s complicated,” Pam answered.

“Doesn’t sound complicated to me,” Elle shrugged. “If you don’t click that’s not a bad thing.”

“That’s not the complicated part.” Pam leaned back in her seat and cast her eyes towards the skylight for a moment. “Danny is the first guy I’ve gone out with since I broke off a multi-year engagement less than a month before the wedding.”

“I know,” said Elle. When Pam looked over in surprise, Elle gave her a kind smile. “Penny and I talk about just about everything remember.”

“Oh, right,” Pam said with a sigh. “Then you know it’s been a rough couple of months.”

“You’ll get through it. From everything I've heard about you Pam, you’ve got the strength to bust through walls, tear down trees, or hell even walk through fire if you want to. You just have to say yes to yourself and what you want.”

Pam gave Elle a rueful smile. “Thanks. That’s nice of you to say.” She took a deep breath and sat up straighter in her chair. “But enough about me. What about you? Did you come here on the arm of some dashing prince charming?”

“Ha!” Elle laughed. “Dashing? No. Prince? Definitely not. Charming?” She rocked her head back and forth a few times and stuck out her lower lip. “Maybe. Though I’m not really one to talk. I’m here with my brother. Took a ton of convincing too. He hates dressing up, putting on costumes, or anything like that.”

“Awww. That’s sweet of him,” Pam gushed. “He must really care about you if he was willing to get dressed up for all this.”

Elle gave her cock-eye smirk. “Thanks. We’ve always been close, but it’s been hard to connect since I’ve been away at college. I’m staying in New York for the summer session so I didn’t think I would see him for a while. Then all of a sudden he up and moves a lot closer and we’re almost on top of each other. We’ve really been able to re-connect over the summer since he’s a lot closer. I also don’t think he’s made a lot of friends since the move, so we’ve had tons of time to talk and hang out.”

“That’s really great,” Pam beamed. “Where is he that’s now so much closer?”

Years later, Pam would still remember the sly glint in the other woman’s eye as she spoke. “A little town north of the city. Stamford, Connecticut.”

Her smile vanished as fast as smoke on the wind and the shard of ice that had stabbed Pam’s heart the previous May returned with a frigid vengeance. She closed her eyes, but the flashbacks started. Twenty-seven seconds of silence in biting winter air. Pure unadulterated joy as she fished trinkets out of a teapot. Desperate longing and desire warring with logic, fear, and expectation as her hands ran across the nape of his neck in the most intense kiss she’d ever experienced.

No! No! No! No! No! It can’t be him. People move to other states all the time. Every day. Besides his sister is Larissa, not Elle.

Pam felt like her heart was doing jumping jacks and beating a bass drum at the same time. Her breathing come in increasingly rapid gasps. The goiter was back in her neck and she turned her seat for the remains of her water glass. She took a small sip before she felt Elle’s hand back on her shoulder.

“Pam.”

She turned back to look at Elle at the sound of her name. Elle’s face showed a kind smile of encouragement. She didn’t know how, but somehow her breathing slowed. Though Pam swore it stopped when she followed Elle’s gaze and saw who was making his way through the crowd towards them

Black riding boots came up to just under his knees. Tan form-fitting trousers encased his lower half. A flowing white shirt with ruffles down the deep V-neck and around cuffs at his wrists was held in place by a waistcoat colored a rich gold. A white cravat wrapped around his neck to disappear under the waistcoat. His black tailcoat had been fitted to frame his height to perfection. The shaggy locks that still haunted her fingertips had been tamed into a haircut that pulled his bangs off his forehead. However, it was the hazel of his eyes that drew her gaze. Twin pools of shock, pain, and weariness that threatened to pull her under leaving her drowning in the memory of her biggest mistake.

“Hello,” he said so softly she almost didn’t hear him.

With strength she didn’t know she had; Pam stood up from her chair. She stayed locked in place.

“Jim.” His name escaped her lips in a whisper.

A minute, an hour, or a lifetime could have passed, and she wouldn’t have known it. Time ceased to exist. The chatter of the crowd and the music filling the hall blurred behind the sight of him standing in front of her. He reached out with a tentative hand and touched her arm on the patch of skin between her glove and dress sleeve. As soon as his fingers branded her skin once more, the world crashed back down on her. The music roared in her ears. The ballroom was too small and too large all at the same time. The very axis of her being shook and the only thing she could think of to do was run.

“Excuse me,” she breathed and dashed past him.

Ignoring the cries of people she butted aside in her escape, Pam ran out of the ballroom and into the hallway. Throwing open the first door she came to, she found a set of stairs leading to the basement. The lavish mansion turned into the belly of some scaly beast, drawn into the world from the dusty pages of mythology to swallow her whole.

The stairwell dumped her into a darkened corridor. The only illumination coming from the red exit signs at either end of the hall. Shadows jumped at her as her slippers padded along the unyielding floor. Her gasps echoed around her adding to the fog surrounding her mind. Reaching the end of the hallway she leaned at the waist. Her hand went out to touch the wall to remind her that there was still something solid in the world, rather than a seeming inescapable vortex of regret.

Closing her eyes once more, she willed the flashbacks away and focused on her breathing. Slowly the labored gasps tailed off and the pressure on her lungs eased. When she opened her eyes the first thing that caught her attention was the stillness of the hallway. Above her she could hear the pulse of the music, but here where she was alone, it was still. Red light from the exit sign bled into blackness save for the speck of red light at the other end of the hall that pointed to another door. Looking up at the crimson letters above her, she recoiled slightly under the hard light. Her breathing started to speed up again when a new light found the corner of her eye. Turning her head, she saw another shorter hallway leading to a set of double doors. White light streaming in through the windows set in the door.

Slowly she started walking towards the doors, keeping her hand on the wall as a talisman against the return of the whirlpool of emotions that had driven her to this place. The white light fell first on her feet and travelled up her dress as she moved closer to the doors. Cautiously she cracked the door open and had to put a hand up to block the light now streaming into her eyes. When her vision cleared the sprawling exterior grounds of the mansion were laid out in front of her.

Stepping through the doors brought with the first soft changes from the emptiness of the basement. A hint of salt creeped into her nose from a gentle breeze blowing in from the ocean in the distance. Walking further outside she looked around to get her bearings. A raised area to her left with a white railing above her head stretched before her. Several trees lined rail before it turned to the left to follow along the rear of the mansion. Shifting her hands, she let the fingers of her left-hand drift across the bricks until she reached the corner of the balcony.

The mystery of the white light was solved as well. One of the spotlights used to light up the mansion had been knocked askew. The beam shone down towards the basement of the building rather than illuminating it. In addition to shining into the doors Pam had just exited, the spotlight lit up a curious shape that instantly commanded her attention.

A stone angel stood guard at the corner on her level. She paused to study the sculpture for a moment. The young face of the angel was peaceful with its eyes closed over hands folded as if in prayer. A feeling a warmth began to creep into her as she eyes the statue. A voice from above broke the spell she’d fallen under causing her to duck under the cover of the angel's wings.

“Did you find her?” Penny’s voice came from above. Pam was about to step out of her hiding place when a second voice rooted her in place.

“No,” Jim answered Penny.

“Don’t worry Jim,” Larissa assured her brother. “We’ll find her.”

“Yeah.” Pam could hear the resignation in his voice. “I’ll keep looking out here. Could you two keep checking inside?”

Pam heard the other ladies agree and walk away. A thud sounded from above. She knew that thud. It was a sound that once upon a time foretold of one of the happiest afternoons at work she’d ever had. Despite her roiling feelings a grin escaped her lips as the memory of Jim’s forehead hitting his desk morphed into SkeetSchrute, Flonkerton, origami doves, and yogurt lid medals. Her grin disappeared at the sound of Jim’s voice slightly muffled due to distance and apparently also buried in his arms.

“Pam, Pam. Why is it always Pam?”

She had been about to step into view, but something about the wistfulness in his voice caused her to pause. Instead, peaked as little of her face around the wing of the angel to look up at him. He’d divested himself of the cravat and his coats. The shirt was now left to flow loosely. The ruffles on his chest and wrists billowing slightly as he stood at the rail of the balcony in the summer air. As she suspected, his head was bowed into his arms. As she watched he looked up and stared across the lawn.

“Why Pam? Just when I gathered my courage to talk to you again. When I was going to apologize for being a colossal ass about everything.”

While his head bowed into his arms again, her thoughts screamed into overdrive. Oh Jim. I’m the one that needs to apologize. I was the one that was scared and confused. You were the brave one last May. I didn’t know how to be brave like that. By the time I figured anything out you were gone. I was the one who let her anger keep me from calling you after I called off the wedding. Well, on second thought you did drop that huge bomb on me and then just vanished, but I think I get it. At least that’s what Penny kept telling me in all those talks we had about everyth...wait a minute! Penny and Elle, or Larissa, or whoever both told me they talk to each other about everything and that Elle had been having heart to hearts with her brother. OH MY GOD!! Penny you are so dead when I catch up with you! Hold up, where’s Jim. Oh shoot! No Jim!

“Come back!”

At first it seemed her voice echoed off the empty air that now resided where Jim had been standing. Her heart pounded out three devastating beats before he appeared back at the railing.

“Pam?”

With one look in his eyes, the last misinterpretation fell away like chaff on the wind. It wasn’t shock, pain, or weariness swirling in his eyes. It was relief and a guarded hope that shone down at her.

“I’m here,” she started simply. Almost of their own accord, her hands came up in front of her and she started fiddling with her fingers. “I...um... I heard that. You don’t have to...I mean I’m the one who needs to apologize.”

“No, I do, I really do,” he insisted. “Right now, in fact.” Jim set his hands on the rail and looked about to vault over to jump down to her.

“No! Jim! Stop!” Her cries had the effect of halting his movements. She looked around frantically. To her right she saw what she’d been hoping for. “There’s some stairs over there. I don’t want you to break your neck or anything.”

Jim followed her gaze. Halfway down the balcony a wide staircase with an oval landing halfway down could be seen.

“I’ll meet you there,” he said and started off for the stairs.

Pam rushed as quickly as her dress would allow to follow him. His longer legs and looser clothing gave him the advantage though. He was reaching the bottom as she approached. They both paused for a moment when his feet reached last step. The moment ended as quickly as it started though, and they rushed to each other.

She wrapped her arms around him and felt his arms do the same. One hand holding her shoulders to his chest while the other hand snaked into the hair on the back of her head. Pam buried her nose in the space between his neck and collarbone. Jim’s face came to rest on the side of her head where she could feel his warm breath send shivers from her ear, across her neck, and down her spine.

“I’m so sorry Jim.” The words were muffled due to her position.

“You have nothing to be sorry about,” he pleaded into her hair. “I told you I’m the one who needs to apologize. Dumping everything I did on you then vanishing from your life. I’ve been horrible to you.”

“No Jim, I was the one who was horrible. I was just so scared, so I lied. The truth is you never misinterpreted anything. I was stuck behind a wall of denial, doubt, and routine. I couldn’t bring myself to feel or say what knew all along.”

Jim’s arms tightened around her. “What was that?”

She leaned back and brought her hands up to cup his cheeks. “I love you too Jim. I love you so much.”

Her words were rewarded with the sight of the guarded hope she’d seen in his eyes earlier burst to life before she pulled his face to hers. Their kiss was nothing like the last one they’d shared. Rather than fear flooding through her chest, warmth, love, and acceptance coursed through her. His moment of surprise disappeared, and he enthusiastically returned the kiss. Her fingers drifted back into place in his hair. The missing piece of her heart clicked back in as she glided her lips over his. The feel of his chest pressed against hers was the like coming inside to a fireplace after a long walk in the winter. Eventually, after another lifetime passed without her caring, she leaned her head back down into the crook of his neck.

“Thank you,” he whispered to her as he gently rocked her from side to side.

“Can we just stay in this moment forever?”

“For you, anything.”

They stayed wrapped in each other’s arm until a wolf whistle met their ears from the balcony. Looking up they saw an inebriated grad student already being dragged away by his date who looked mortified.

“We should probably head back inside,” Jim said. “Find Penny and Larissa. You kind of freaked them out when you just ran off like that.”

“Oh god,” Pam bowed her head briefly before looking back up at Jim. “Yeah, we probably should.”

“May I escort the lady back inside?” Jim offered his elbow to her with a loving grin.

“You may,” she replied. This time when she linked her arm through the escorting elbow, she also moved so her side was pressed to his and she reached over with her free hand to grasp his forearm.

They reached the top of the staircase and headed back to the ballroom. Other party-goers were mingling around as they approached. Pam and Jim were almost to the doors leading to the ballroom when Penny, Larissa, and Craig walked outside. Their expressions ranged from relief to surprise to excitement and back again as they saw Pam and Jim towards them.

“You!” Pam let go of Jim’s arm and pointed at her sister. “You set this whole thing up!”

“Of course, I did. Larissa too. Why do you think we spent so much time talking to both of you about everything before tonight? We needed both of you to work through some of your feelings before you saw each other again.”

“L?” Jim gawked at his sister. “You were in on this?”

Larissa crossed her arms but settled her face into a knowing smirk that took away any of the sting of the gesture. “You think I wanted to hear you moan and groan for the rest of your life about the one that got away? Please. You’ve been crazy about Pam since you met her. We just needed to give you guys a little push.”

Pam cast her eyes around the mansion grounds. “This is more than a little push.”

“Meh, details,” Larissa waved a hand at her.

“Speaking of details,” Craig piped up. “There’s a big elephant in the room we need to deal with. What about Danny?”

Jim looked back down at Pam. “Um, yeah, what about him? I gotta say, I’m not really looking forward to seeing you go home with another man again.”

Pam looked back at him with a soft expression on her face. “I’m not going home with him at the end of the night believe me. I’m just going to go home.” She turned her attention back to Penny. “Was he in on this too?”

For the first time that night, Penny looked slightly concerned. “Ah, no. Danny is kind of the wrinkle in all this. We honestly didn’t expect he would be here. We really didn’t expect him to pay for the limo ride from Scranton.”

“The what!?” Jim’s eyes bugged out of his skull.

Penny frowned. “Yeah, we were all supposed to meet up at our house.” She nodded to Pam. “We were going to carpool, but Mr. Bigshot there rolled up with the limo. We didn’t ask for it, but like how could we say no without being rude?”

Larissa turned to her brother. “How many can fit in your car?”

“Five, but it would tight,” he answered. He looked down at Pam. “Though I personally wouldn’t mind driving you all back to Scranton when we’re done here.”

“Didn’t think you would.” Larissa grinned and gave Jim a good-natured sock in the arm. “Anyone else mind?”

There were no objections. Pam then cleared her throat drawing the attention of the group back to her.

“I’ll go tell Danny we won’t need the ride home.”

“Want me to come with you?” Penny asked.

“Thanks, no.” Pam took another deep breath but straightened her back. “He’s my date. I should be the one to tell him. I’ll meet you all back at the table.”

“I’ll come with you if you want,” Jim leaned down to whisper in her ear.

Tingles travelled down Pam’s side as his words kissed her ear. She looked up at him and grinned. “That would be nice. Up until we find him that is. I should talk to him on my own though.”

With a plan of action in place, the group walked back into the ballroom. Once they were at their table, they took a collection for Pam to give Danny to help offset the cost of the limo service back to Scranton they now wouldn’t need. Pam raised up on her toes to scan the crowd when she and Jim stepped away from the table. She was hard pressed to spot him since his outfit was so similar to many of the other men in the crowd. In the end it was Jim who spotted Danny standing at a high table near the bar talking to another man. He leaned down to kiss Pam on the cheek for luck.

From her perspective, Pam thought Danny took the news fairly well. He didn’t question her when she told him they’d run into some old friends and wouldn’t need the ride home. He did pocket the cash she gave him and told her he’d enjoyed the time they had shared at the ball. After an awkward hug she let him resume his conversation.

Jim detached himself from the wall as she walked away from Danny’s table. “All set?”

“Yeah.” She let out a breath. “That’s a big relief off my shoulders.”

“I’ll bet,” Jim smiled at her. He intertwined his fingers with hers as they walked back towards their table.

They were halfway back when the music in the hall switched moods. A slow melody drifted through the room. Jim took a quick step to spin around in front of her. He bowed formally at the waist and held out a hand.

“May I have this dance?”

The corners of her lips curled up in a delicate smile. She placed a delicate hand on his. “You may.”

They walked side by side to the edge of the floor. Jim took her right hand in his left and held it at shoulder level. His right hand curled around her waist. She swallowed hard as her left hand came to rest on his right bicep. However, the feel of his muscle under the cloth sent her imagination spinning. She shook her head to clear her mind and looked into his eyes.

“I, um, don’t really know how to dance like this,” she admitted.

Jim just grinned at her. “Relax, Beesly. Just follow my lead.”

Hearing the beloved nickname again settled the butterflies trying to escape her stomach. He bobbed his head a few times to get on the beat of the music.

“On my count step backwards with your right foot. After that, leave the rest to me.”

“Okay.”

He started to count out loud for her benefit. “One, two, three. One, two, three. One, two, three, step.”

Slight pressure on her hand and waist guided her backwards. Feeling his calm gaze on her, she had no issues following him through a simple box step to the waltz playing over the dancers. Before long he led her into turning around in the small box of the dance floor they’d staked as their own. Just when she felt she had the hang of the rhythm; he took a half step closer to her. His chest was lightly pressed against hers while he continued to lead the dance. The light contact caused innumerable tremors to run up and down her body. It wasn’t just her face that felt warm anymore. She felt as if her entire being was about to burst into flame.

Just when she thought she couldn’t take it anymore he surprised her, Jim raised his left hand and gave her a subtle pressure on her waist. As if by magic she twirled through the steps causing the bottom of her dress and her hair to briefly flare out. The brief turn sent a wave of cool air washing over any part of exposed skin. Goosebumps raced across her skin cooling the wildfire that had been there moments ago. His hand landed back on her waist just as she completed her twirl. Rather than a raging fire across her whole body, the heat was now contained at the two points of contact where his hands were on her. Their dance continued in the same vein. Tongues of fire dancing across her from his hands only to be doused each time he guided her into a new spin. It was an exquisite torture she never wanted to end. Though Jim saved the best for last.

As the last notes of the music played, he took one more step forward and shifted his grip from her hand and waist to between her shoulder blades and the small of her back. In the same move she felt him lean her backwards while leaning forwards himself to complete the dip. Her bosom heaved from both the exertion of the dance and the feeling of fire about to burst out of control within her chest. The fire only intensified as he closed the distance and gave her lips the ghost of kiss with his. He pulled her back up to a standing position and at last dropped his hands to join the other dancers in a round of applause for the live musicians.

She linked her arm in his elbow again as they walked off the dance floor. Her head was in a daze and she was glad of his presence at her side. Casting her eyes around she took her chance as they passed one the arches along the side of the room. It was her turn to step in front of him. Ignoring his squawk of surprise, she pushed him against the arch and pulled his face down to hers for the second time that night.

She probed at his lips which opened for her at once. She only allowed the tip of her tongue to flick against his. She also broke the kiss quickly since they were still in plain view of anyone who looked their way. Even though it was brief, she could feel the effects in the way his lips responded to hers and a decidedly firm spot pressing into her abdomen. She was about to pull away, but his hands kept her still.

“Hold on a second Bees,” he said with a husky breathlessness that did nothing to quell any of the heat still simmering in her. His eyes flicked down for a moment. “I’m uh, I’m going to need a minute.”

Feeling saucy, she closed the distance to him and felt her breasts press into his chest. His arousal clear against her stomach. She batted her eyes at him as an impish smile played over her face. “Why Sir James, whatever do you mean? Surely a gentleman such as yourself has the constitution to maintain decorum whilst around a lady.”

The sight of his eyes widening in shock almost proved her undoing. Her words did prove to be his undoing. Sucking in a breath he leaned his head to her shoulder. “If you’re going to kill me, just make it quick.”

“Aw, poor baby,” she cooed to him and patted his cheek.

A growl escaped his throat and vibrated against her shoulder. Hushed words reverberated against her dress. “Baseball. Basketball. My Grandma’s ugly Christmas sweater.”

She couldn’t help teasing him just a little more. “Did I tell you Penny and I went to the beach last week? I had to try out my new bikini. It was really hot out. Good thing we had a cooler of popsicles to suck on.”

“The Eagles were six and ten last season. Twenty-pound copy paper comes in brilliant or standard finish.”

She decided to end his misery, though not without a twist. Her lips caressed his ear as she whispered, “Dwight Schrute in a dress.”

“Oh! That’s it!” He pushed away from her and started power-walking back towards their table.

Pam let out peel of laughter as she followed him. “Come on Jim that was a good one!”

He turned back as he walked and pointed a finger at her. “Oh no! Don’t you come anywhere near me”

She caught up with him and grabbed his arm. “After what you did to me in that waltz, you deserved it. Speaking of which, when did you ever learn to dance like that?”

“Larissa put me up to it,” he said though he gave her a pleased expression when he faced her. “She said it would be good for tonight. Though now I see she had an ulterior motive.”

“Well, I for one am glad of it.”

They gathered their belongings and Jim led them to his car with Pam on his arm. Jim dropped Larissa off in her New York apartment leaving Penny and Craig to cuddle in the back seat. Whenever possible, Jim linked his hand with Pam’s over the center console during the drive. They were halfway across New Jersey when Penny and Craig nodded off in the backseat. Jim spared a glance to Pam who was bobbing her head and quietly singing along to the radio.

“She’s cheer captain and I’m on the bleachers. Da-da da da da da....

Jim grinned but turned the music down. “So?” he started.

“Yes?”

“Danny Cordray? That’s who you invited to that shin-dig?”

“Uhgg, Jim please,” she groaned. “I don’t need you going all jealous boyfriend on me. I got years of that with Roy. Pass.”

“First, I’m really glad you already think of me as your boyfriend. Clears that up.  Second, I’m not jealous, just curious.”

“Of course, you’re my boyfriend now you big dork,” she countered. “I accept your curiosity though. With Danny, I’d like to tell you it was like something out of a soap opera. Like I got tired of waiting, wondering if you were ever coming around but it wasn’t really like that. I met him for drinks once because I didn’t want to be rude. Tonight’s ball came up when we talked. He seemed really interested when he heard it was put together by the alumni association and kind of invited himself. You heard about the limo, that really was a surprise to all of us.”

“So, you two meet for drinks one time and on your second date he pulls out all the stops with a limo ride from Scranton to Long Island? Wow!”

“Actually, this was the third time Danny and I met up. Penny and I were out for girls night out when he and a friend came up to our table. A few days later is when I saw Danny by myself.”

“Ah, that explains it,” Jim nodded.

“Explains what?”

Jim gave Pam side-eyed smirk. “He probably was figuring something like, third date, really impress her and her sister with the fancy limo and everything. Then head back to his place afterwards.”

“Ohh,” Pam figured out what Jim was implying. “Yeah, that wouldn’t have happened I can guarantee that. Danny’s handsome don’t get me wrong but again, pass. He’s not my type.”

“What is your type?”

She knew he was teasing her, but the flirtation was fun. “Dorky prank-pulling paper salesmen who know how to waltz are a top contender.”

He raised her hand to his lips and smiled. “Good thing you’ve got one of those.”

“Good thing,” she agreed and kissed his hand in turn.

For the rest of the drive, they got caught up on each other’s lives. Pam told him about moving back in with her parents and the joys of apartment hunting. Jim cringed when he told her about the sticky note reminder to smile he’d given himself on his computer. His face lit up when she told him about the art classes she was planning on taking. She got a kick out of how bad he was at Call of Duty. When they got back to Archbald, Penny told Jim to drop her off with Craig at his apartment.

“I think they wanted us to finally be alone,” Penny commented after the pair departed.

“How thoughtful of them,” Jim smirked. “To your parents place?”

“Yeah,” she sighed. “It’s been a long day already and you still have a two hour drive ahead of you.”

“I’ll be alright.”

“You’re sure?” Concern clear in her voice. “You could probably crash on the couch if you’re getting tired.”

“Thanks, I appreciate that, but I’m okay.

Before long, Jim was pulling into the driveway of the Beesly residence. Keeping in theme for the night he jumped out of his seat to open her door. Linking her arm once more in his, they walked up to the front door.

“Now I’m getting flashbacks from high school prom,” he joked.

“What? Didn’t stay out all night to some party or bonfire?”

Jim smirked at her teasing tone. “You’ve seen my high school yearbook picture. I thought myself just lucky to get a date to prom let alone try anything afterwards. I was the good boy who brought her home at eleven like her dad asked.”

“Awwww,” Pam cooed as they arrived on the front step. “And now here you are doing just about the same thing.”

“Pretty much,” he admitted. Pam had been digging in her clutch purse for her keys. Jim turned her to face him directly making her stop. “There is one thing I’d like to do different tonight though.”

She smiled up with expectation shining in her eyes. “What’s that?”

“Kiss my date goodnight on her porch step.”

Pam lifted her arms up to his shoulder and grinned. “I think that can be arranged.”

They stated leaning towards each other when without warning the porch light turned on and the front door flew open.

“Who are you?!”

Jim and Pam jumped apart to see William Beesly standing in the doorway glaring at them. Pam got over her surprise quickly.

“Dad! You startled us. This is Jim.”

William crossed his arms and glowered at Jim for a moment before looking Pam. “What happened to that other guy?”

“It didn’t work out,” she told William. “Jim offered to give me a ride home.”

“Wait, a minute,” William pointed between the two of them. “Is this the Jim you told us about? The ‘good friend’ from work who just up and left right before you called off the wedding? That Jim?”

“Um, yeah,” Jim smiled weakly and reached out to shake William’s hand.

The older man slapped it away. “Don’t stick your hand out at me! Do you have any idea the kind of crap we had to go through because of you? How much money we lost on deposits? Some friend you are. Right when the going gets tough, you abandon her.”

Jim was at a loss for words. All he could do was stand on the porch in shock.

“Pam come inside. This is exactly why I was so glad you started seeing that Danny guy. Now there’s a guy with his head on his shoulders.” William pulled Pam inside the door and eyed Jim’s outfit with scorn. “Nice try Romeo, but I’m telling you right now. Stay away from Juliet!” With that William slammed the door in Jim’s face.

Pam stood in the entrance of the house and rounded on her father. “What was that about?!”

“Doing my job,” William grumbled. He stayed in front of the door preventing Pam from heading back outside. “Hate me if you want, but I won't see you get hurt anymore.”

“Dad, I'm not a teenager anymore. You don’t get to tell me who I can see or not.”

“I get a say as long as you’re living under this roof,” he countered.

“Good thing I'll be moving out again soon!” She screamed back.

Turning her back on William, Pam dashed up the stairs to the room she’d grown up in. She closed the door behind her and locked it for good measure. Dashing to the window, she saw Jim slowly walking back to his car. Unlocking the window, she threw it open and pushed the screen out. Her window was set over the roof of the porch. A tall pine tree grew at the far end of the structure. As quietly as she could she crept across the porch roof and down the branches of the pine tree. Jim was just getting to his door when she called out to him in a loud whisper.

“Jim!” she hissed.

“Pam!” He looked back up at her and opened his arms.

She tucked herself into his embrace at once. Breaking from the hug she pointed down the street to her neighbor's house. “Park out of sight. I’ll meet you at the gazebo over there.” She pointed to a rounded roof peaking over the hedges in the large yard next to her parent’s house.

She left Jim to move his car and walked quietly a gate set in the hedge. Overhead the moon lent her light to walk along the garden path towards the gazebo. Fireflies winked on and off while she waited for Jim. He wasn’t long in appearing. His boots made a soft crunching sound as he walked up the gravel path.

“I’m sorry about that,” she said into his chest once they embraced again. “I probably should have told you Dad took the whole cancelled wedding really hard.”

“It’s okay,” he whispered. “Are we going to be okay here? No one’s going to jump out at us?”

“No,” she said and took a half step back. “Growing up, Mrs. Smith always said we were welcome to walk around whenever we wanted. I spent a lot of summers reading and sketching in here.”

Jim looked around at the well-maintained garden. “It is very pretty.”

Pam leaned back into his chest and held him tight. “Why is this so difficult? Right when we figure out we want to be together, something else pops up.”

She felt a gentle kiss land on her head. “It’s difficult because it’s real. Even though we’re both dressed for it, we don’t live in a fairy tale. Still sucks though.”

They were quiet for several minutes. The silence seemed to draw their frustrations out into the night sky. Jim spoke up again. “You do know I don’t want to make things harder between you and your dad, right?”

Pam looked up at him. “Yeah, I know.” She let out a sigh. “Maybe it’s a blessing in disguise we’ll be doing the whole long-distance thing for now. You won’t have to deal with an over-protective parent.”

Jim rubbed his hands up and down her back. “Maybe. But he does kind of have a point.”

“What?” Pam furrowed her eyes at him.

“We both know how much of a slacker I can be at times. Yeah, I meet my sales goals, but I’ve never really put any real effort into my job.”

“Jim,” Pam softened her expression. “You can’t let something my dad say in the heat of them moment get you down like that.”

“I don’t know. I really want what we have together to work. I may have to do the one thing I always hated; work hard at my job. Show him I can take care of us.”

Pam didn’t know what to say. She squeezed her arms tighter around him.

Above her head, he sighed. “Thanks for sneaking out to see me. It really means a lot.”

“I just go you back Halpert, it’s going to take more than all that with my dad for you to get rid of me.” She snuggled back into his chest.

Jim shifted one of his hands from his back to slide his fingers through her hair. The soothing motion did much to relax the tension that had built up. He finally broke the silence.

“It is starting to get a little late. I should get going.”

“I know,” she whispered.

“Can I have that good-night kiss now before I leave?”

Starlight sparkled in her eyes. “Of course.”

Once more their arms wrapped around each other as their lips met. Rather than the heat of some of their earlier kisses in the night, Pam only felt a calmness settle through her as she kissed Jim. This kiss was a promise they made to each other. A promise to hold on to each other, to fight for each other, to love each other.

“Come on,” he said after they leaned back. He tugged her hand in the direction of the gate. They paused for one last chaste kiss when they reached the gate. “Parting really is such sweet sorrow.”

“Jim!” she let out a small giggle. “If I’m Juliet, that’s my line.”

“If you say so Beesly. I’ll text you when either I stop for a hotel or make it home.”

He watched from the gate as she stole across her lawn and back into her bedroom window. She gave him one last wave before she closed her window and pulled the curtains. The events of the evening played like a movie in her mind while she changed into her pajamas.

At last, she flopped down on the bed. Yeah, it was a good night, was the last thought that went through her mind as drifted to sleep.

The next weeks kept her busy. She moved into a single bedroom apartment close to Dunder-Mifflin. Her art classes started, and she threw herself into exploring her talent. She and Jim traded weekends seeing each other. Over walks in parks, dinners, breakfasts, and hours spent curled up on a couch they healed the wounds their hearts had taken. The heat she’d felt on the dance floor was a candle compared to a bonfire the first time she invited him into her bed.

The summer melted into the fall. Her heart glowed in pride as she read corporate newsletters praising Jim for more than doubling his sales numbers. She watched in slight horror as Michael and Dwight left to drive to David Wallace’s house in an effort to prevent their branch from closing. After Jan’s announcement her first thought was to grab her phone and text Jim.

Jan just broke the news! Does this mean you’re coming back?!?!?

She kept her phone in her hands and alternated between sitting in her chair and doing her best to wear a bald spot in the carpet between the fax machine and her computer. When her phone started ringing, she almost dropped it.

“Jim?”

“Hey Bees. I got your text. Jan told us too.”

She didn’t try to hide the hope in her voice. “So, you’re coming back?”

“I’m already on my way.” Pam could hear him smile over the phone.

A thousand bricks lifted off her chest at that moment. She closed her eyes against the tears of joy welling up in them. “I’m so glad to hear that. When will you be back in town?”

“Based on current traffic, maybe a half hour. Unless you’d like to meet me halfway.”

“Covington Park,” she answered right away. “Remember it was that park kind of on the outskirts of town that had the little beach?”

“I remember. I’ll meet you there.”

Tucking her phone away, she gathered her things in record time. Fifteen minutes later she was stepping out of the car and started scanning the parking lot. She didn’t see him right away. Maybe he parked over by the baseball fields.

A wooded path led to a second parking lot which also proved fruitless. Heading back towards her car, she emerged from the woods to see a familiar sight walking across the soccer field. They stopped for a second when they saw each other before breaking into a run. She leapt the last few feet to get to him. Effortlessly he caught her and swung her in a circle before letting her feet fall to the grass.

“You’re coming back,” she whispered into his neck.

“For good this time,” he told her.

“Thank god. Don't you ever leave me again.”

“I won’t. Not now, not ever again, not for the rest of your life.”

Pam’s eyes grew wide as his words registered. She pulled back from him, but he was already dropping to a knee. Her hands came to her mouth when he produced a small felt box from his pocket. The diamond ring within gleamed in the light of the afternoon sun.

“I know we’ve made a mess of things at times,” The sincerity in Jim’s voice caused every other sound to vanish. “I know this probably seems fast. I know we’ll have rough days ahead of us too. But I love you, and that’s all I really know. Marry me Pam?”

“What about my dad?” She croaked out.

“I talked to your dad.” It was a question Jim was anticipating. “I told him what you mean to me. How I light up whenever you walk into a room. I told him that despite everything I’ve never doubted that you’re the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with.”

Pam stayed frozen in place. She looked down at Jim whose eyes were still shining at her.

“So?”

“Yes.” The word came out as a whisper, but her head started nodding.

Jim surged to his feet to claim her lips with his. She couldn’t stop the smile that formed under his lips as they kissed. The moment he slid the ring on her finger she threw her arms around him again. For the second time her feet left the ground as he spun her in one more circle. When he set her back down again, she pushed a lock of his hair away from his forehead.

“I love you Jim.”

He tucked a loose curl of her own her ear.

“I love you too Pam.”

They made their way back to the parking lot to retrieve their cars for the drive back to Pam’s apartment. Later that night she and Jim spooned on her couch. She pulled a blanket over top of them to help retain the warmth of his bare skin on hers. It had seemed like too much work to collect their clothes which were scattered across the floor from their earlier celebrations. On her screen the opening credits of Pride and Prejudice started to play. She held her new ring up to the light to admire it for the umpteenth time since they had laid down together.

“Why are we watching this again?” His breath was warm against her ear from his position behind her.

Her reply just made him smirk and press a kiss to her hair.

“Because it’s a love story and baby, you said yes.”

Chapter End Notes:
*Sits back and grins*

Hi. How ya doing? Having fun? I'm having fun. A quick couple of notes. The Bourne Mansion is a real place. The pictures I saw online made it look really pretty. Same goes with Covington Park.

Hope you had as much fun reading this one as I did writing it.


warrior4 is the author of 26 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Fabula Amoris also liked 526 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans