- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A.A.R.M. - Possibly the penultimate chapter in this story. I think it's about time we put this thing to rest.


It had been thirty minutes since Jim left the office. Pam felt guilty about how the day had gone. She thought she was going to be over the moon about having her husband be his usual goofy self, the stress of having to win her over finally behind him. She knew that despite the no nonsense policy that had been established, he would still concoct some elaborate scheme to mess with Dwight.


She spent the day happily watching him conduct challenges to see who would be the best fit to being the assistant to the assistant to the regional manager. Although he did not tell her exactly what he was planning, she quickly deduced that he was trying to trick Dwight into awarding himself the title which would make him Jim's assistant. 


The two of them would glance occasionally and she saw how much his eyes lit up whenever he would see her smiling. It was as if they were telepathically saying to each other how everything seemed perfect again.


However, she felt everything crumbling again when she had a conversation with Darryl at the cafe.


"Jim really doesn't want to come?"


"He said he doesn't want to"


"Man, I hope he doesn't regret it."


"Well, he seems really happy being back here at Dunder Mifflin."


"Jim is happy here, selling paper at Dunder Mifflin?"


As she watched Jim continue with his prank, she tried to avoid being in his line of sight so he would not see the obvious mood change in her face. She did not want to upset him after they had just gotten through a huge hurdle in their marriage. He had been nothing short of being the perfect husband to her when he came back from Colorado and she did not want to make him feel like he had failed.


She tried her best to put on the best smile that she could for him. However, before the crowning ceremony for Dwight, she saw Jim's phone ring and what looked like a frustrated expression from him before rejecting the call. He did not need to say who it was but it was obvious to her that it was his peers from Athlead once again, trying to convince him to come back. She recalled his phone conversation with Wade the night before they went to the lake.


"She's not ready and I don't know if she ever will be, but that doesn't matter…"


She wondered how many times she had been selfish with him. She began to question if everything that had happened in the past week was entirely on her. 


"I'm the one who didn't hug Jim back. I instigated the fight in the car. He flew to Colorado on a whim because of me. He quit his job because of me," she thought to herself, "How much more will he have to put up with because of me?"


As she watched Jim crown Dwight, she wondered if he was truly happy with where he was. She felt overwhelmed by her surroundings and briskly walked to the elevator.


She knew Jim saw her pained expression and knew that he would find her soon enough as she paced back and forth outside the warehouse. Once he caught up to her, she knew she could no longer escape and had to tell her how she truly felt.


"Is that really what you think?"


She remembered how defeated Jim looked when she told him she was afraid he might resent her. She could not believe that she had managed to hurt him again because of the insecurities lingering inside her.


“Hey Pam!”


She was snapped out of her thoughts and saw the cameraman standing beside her.


“Hey, what’s up?”


"Is it okay if we do an interview?"


"Yeah sure. No problem, I need a distraction anyway," she them stood up and headed towards the conference room.


As the cameraman followed her, he discreetly placed an enveloped labelled "Jim" on the desk beside her.


"So what do you want to talk about?" Pam asked as she sat herself on one of the chairs.


"We just wanted to check how you were doing, you seem a bit distracted lately. How's Jim's first day back?"


"Oh, it was going great I guess. He seemed to be having fun with the whole A.A.R.M project," she paused and wondered how much information she should divulge, "Well, I guess he had fun and then he saw me walk away."


"Yeah, what was that about? What did you talk about outside the warehouse?"

"Oh, you saw that? Well, you know, I'm really happy Jim's back. I really am, but I just… I just can't help but feel like I forced him into coming back. He's told me time and again that it was his choice but he's made really huge sacrifices… and I feel like…does he have to keep making sacrifices just for me?"


"Just for you?"


"I mean, he left his job to be with me. And this was like, the real deal for him, who knows when that opportunity will come again? And what if I'm still not ready? Will he make another sacrifice again? I don't know, I just feel like there will come a point where I won't be enough for him anymore."


"Do you want to talk to him about it? Do you feel ready to talk to him about it again?" 


"Am I ready? No, I don't think I'm ever ready when it comes to expressing myself. I wasn't ready at the beach and I'm definitely not ready now. But I will do it, because I learned that  we really have to be honest with each other. I don't know what he's going to say but I have to believe we can make it work. So yeah, I'm just waiting for him to come back."


The cameraman smiled, "Well, he's waving at me right now and it looks like he wants to cut this interview short."


She looked behind and saw him smiling at her. 


"Hey!" he said as he opened the door of the conference room, "You got a minute?"

"Yeah," she replied "I do."


She stoop up and followed him outside. Before they could continued, she stopped and spoked, "Hey Jim, I—"


"Yeah?"


"I'm really sorry about how this day went. I don't know how—"


"Hey, no need for that," he interrupted, "Just follow me."


She noticed how excited he was getting as they headed towards the break room. She then saw a laptop on one of the tables with an envelope labeled "Jim" beside it.


"What is this?" She asked as she sat in front of the laptop.


"Well, I've been trying to tell you how I feel, and you wouldn't believe me, so…" he said as he opened the envelope, revealing a DVD, "I needed a little help."


Before they could continued, Dwight suddenly appeared, "Jim! I need my assistant to the regional manager. Code red."


"Ok, I don't have my pocket chart on me, right now, so…"


Dwight then threw a beanbag his head, "Now!"


She could see Jim getting frustrated who then joked, "I have an assistant now, who can help you with whatever you need. He is lazy, so crack the whip."


"Jim, I'm not kidding. I need you," Dwight then hurriedly left the room. She could see Jim going back and forth on what to do first. She then said, "Go ahead"


He still hesitated for a while but finally relented, "Ok, this is…" he handed her the DVD as kissed her on the forehead, "I'll be right back."


As Pam held the DVD, a million thoughts began to enter her head as to what it could possible contain. She pondered on whether she should wait for Jim to come back but given that it's a meeting with Dwight, she knew it would take longer than expected.

After a few seconds, she took the DVD out of its case and inserted it in the laptop. She played it and prepared herself as she read the message that was displayed.


Beesly—


You think I'll have regrets.

I asked the doc crew to help me show you why


"What is this?" she thought to herself. She wondered what Jim had been up to after their talk and why he left to get something from the house.


Music started playing and the video began with a scene of Pam falling asleep on Pam's shoulder followed by video clips of them from nine years ago.


She began to feel overcome with emotion as she realized Jim had the documentary crew compile a video of their story together. She smiled upon seeing herself, a twenty-six year old receptionist, fall in love with her best friend. 


When she saw them doing their traditional air high fives, she was amazed to see how they had all these small moments in their friendship. Many people like Kelly would think their romance lacked the heated passion that was normally seen in movies, but it was these kinds of events that had the most impact on her.


Upon seeing the clip of them staring at each other on the booze cruise, she wondered if she always knew that Jim was in love with her and that she just denied it to fulfill her commitment to Roy.


"I'm in love with you," She was surprised to see that the camera crew was able to catch moments of Jim confessing his love to her and the kiss that they shared in the office afterwards. This was followed by a series of kisses that they shared as they started dating. She was then shocked to see a clip of them getting engaged at the gas station. The sudden influx of memories made her remember how lucky she was that their journey did not end at the casino night. She was thankful for they eventually found their way back to each other after Jim had moved to Stamford.


She then saw a clip of them finding out she was pregnant. She recalled how Jim was excited over becoming a father. They did not have the perfect marriage but they always found strength through their children.


She had the biggest smile on her face as she watched Jim looking at the camera at Niagara Falls. At that moment, she felt like he was looking at her directly from the monitor with his eyes saying, "You are the greatest thing to happen in my life. Everything I have, and everything I am is because of you."


She was almost near tears as she continued to watch the video.


————————————————


"I don't know what you want me to tell you, man." Jim told Dwight who was holding an engagement ring. The regional manager had just confided in him of his plans to marry Esther. However, he was having second thoughts because of Angela, "All I know is that every time I've been faced with a tough decision, there's only one thing that outweighs every other concern. One thing that will make you give up on everything you thought you knew, every instinct, every rational calculation."


"Some sort of virus?" Dwight asked.


"Love"


"Oh."


As he looked at Dwight, he thought about the time he had breakfast with Pam's father while he was staying at their place.


"I don't know how to explain it. It's like whenever she walks in a room, I'm just instantly in love with her, you know. I just can't imagine spending my life with anyone else. She's the one."


"Have I told you why I dropped out of the corporate job in New York?

Dwight just looked at him and slowly shook his head.


"I didn't think I did. David Wallace asked me where I saw myself in ten years. And, all I could think about was Pam, and how I wanted to spend those ten years and more than that with her by my side. It wasn't supposed to be an easy decision but it felt easy to let go of everything I had because she was the one I wanted to marry and have kids with. I may not have the successes that I yearned for when I was a kid but she makes this incredibly boring journey worth going through because I'm happiest when I'm with her. And I am forever grateful for that."


He continued staring at Dwight who seemed to be deep in contemplation. He continued, "Dwight, listen. No matter what happens, you gotta forget about all the other stuff. You gotta forget about logic and fear and doubt. You just gotta do everything you can to get to the one woman who’s gonna make all this worth it. At the end of the day, you gotta jump. You love Angela, Dwight. I think you always have."


Dwight continued to remain silent. A few seconds later, he finally spoke "You're a good assistant Jim"


"Not as good as you," he replied.


"That's very true. Get the hell outta here."


"You got it." 


Jim stepped out of Dwight's office and headed back to the break room. He saw Pam watching the clip where he revealed that the teapot he gave her contained bonus gifts. He could imagine her face looking surprised upon seeing a letter being taken away from her desk.


She turned around and he saw her wipe a tear from her eye. He said, "You watched it." 


"Yeah."


"Well, then I guess you're ready for this," he replied as he took out an envelope labeled "Pam" from his pocket.


"What's that?" She asked.


"It's from the teapot," He them proceeded to hand her the envelope, "Everything you'll ever need to know is in that note."


He waited for Pam to finish reading the note, hoping that its contents would finally erase all her doubts about him. She then placed the letter on her chest and looked at him gratefully with tears on her eyes.


"Not enough for me?" Jim said, "You are everything."


She then stood up and they wrapped their arms on each other into a tight embrace.


"Thank you," was all Pam could say as they became lost in the moment, hugging each other for what seemed like an eternity to them.


—————————————


"What did the letter say?" Jim smiled as he shrugged at the camera crew.


"Let's just keep that between me and Jim," Pam told them in a separate interview.


Chapter End Notes:

"I'll never say exactly what John wrote, but just know it was perfect." - Jenna Fischer

I had to rewatch A.A.R.M. for this. That video montage just gets to me everytime. 

Your reviews are everything to me. 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans