- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I'm currently working on another story (check it out: Snowball Effect) but I just randomly thought of the premise for this. Next thing I know, I have a full chapter. So now I'll be working on two stories (crazy right).

I set the story in 2015 to coincide with the year where JK got jacked for 13 Hours (you'll see why). But this is a timeline where Pam started working for Dunder Mifflin in 2011 so she is still roughly in her late 20s to 30 flat. 

Also, this is my first romance fic - eg, Jim and Pam were already married in my other stories. This should be fun. 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Sept 18, 2015 - The Day of the Dundies


"Dunder Mifflin, this is Pam. Okay, please hold while I transfer you."


After transferring the call to her boss, Michael, she resumed her usual game of Free Cell. She had a strategy where she saved her cards so they would all go to the foundation in one go. It made her games longer but it kept her mind off of the mundane tasks she had as the receptionist in a struggling mid-level paper company.


"Hey Pam," she minimized her tab and looked up from her desk. It was the new hire, Danny Cordray.


"Hey Danny, what can I do for you?" she replied.


"Would you mind making a photocopy of these price lists? I need them for a sales call later," he said as he handed over the papers to him, "I'd do it myself but that is one complicated copier."


"Well, you came to the right person because I know all the buttons; even the ones inside," she giggled as she unconsciously flipped her hair. Upon realizing what she was doing, she cleared her throat and continued speaking, "Uhh…yes, of course. No problem. I'll send the copies to your desk when I finish."


"You are a lifesaver," he winked at her and turned around. She watched him walk back to his desk and stared intently at his pants.

"That's a really cute butt," she thought to herself, "really cute...and firm…"


She felt her face flush with red over the embarrassing thought and immediately headed for the copier. She worked through the kinks to produce the copies Danny needed. She let out a smile upon remembering how politely he asked her to do it for him. Normally, people would just walk up to her and stack the papers needed with notes on how many copies were need. He, on the other hand, actually took the effort to talk to her in person. Of course, he was the new guy and didn't really know how things usually worked here but it was still a gesture that she appreciated.


She continued smiling like an idiot until she caught Oscar looking at her in a confused manner from his desk. She used the freshly printed paper to cover her face and moved back to her chair.


"God, it's been so long. Four months since Roy? It's way too long…," she found herself staring at Danny again. She stopped and looked back at her computer, worried that he might suddenly glance at her direction, "way too long…"


She collated the copies while humming a song that's been stuck in her head but didn't know the actual lyrics to. She stopped when another figure approached her desk. She didn't need to look up to see who it was upon hearing the first words that came out of his mouth.


"Hey Beesly," she groaned as he watched a tall bearded man take a couple of jellybeans from her container and throw them in his mouth.


"Please stop calling me Beesly," she grumbled and refused to meet his gaze. She focused her attention on stapling the copies together.


"Okay, how about Pamela Morgan Beesly then?" he leaned forward and took more jellybeans, "It's a mouthful but I think I'll get used to it."


"Alright, two can play at that game," she put down the stapler and finally looked up at him, "James Duncan Halpert, you know… you shouldn't really have too much of those jellybeans. They're bad for your figure."


"Well, Pamela Morgan Beesly," he stretched his body as if he was subtly showing off his muscles that were hiding underneath his shirt, "I really don't think I need to worry about my figure at this point."


"Give it three years asshole," she smirked at the idea that his frequent trips to reception would eventually cause him to gain weight


"Is that a smile I see? You should really do that more often, you know?"


"Whatever. Jim. you can't seriously just be here for the jellybeans, right?" she glared at him and made sure he knew she was annoyed by his presence, "What do you want? I'm really busy here."


"Work wise? Nothing really, so you can keep doing what you're doing," he took another jellybean and winked at her before eating it, "but I need to look busy because in a few seconds you are about to see something epic."


"Good morning, Dwight," he greeted the man who was just about to enter the bullpen.


"Good morning, imbecile," Dwight saluted him as he placed his briefcase on his desk. After getting settled, he opened his computer and suddenly cursed, "Damn it, Jim!"


"What?" He feigned confusion as he turned around and faced the much older salesman.


"My computer is full of pop up windows! Click this button to win 500 dollars? This is destruction of company property. I could have you fired for this."


"Woah, easy there," Jim raised both his hands and narrowed his eyes at Dwight, "That is a really heavy accusation, man. And I don't even know your password. It couldn't have been me. Maybe you should stop clicking those internet ads. There are other ways to meet women, you know?."


"HA HA. Real funny, we'll see who's laughing when I tell Michael!" Dwight huffed and knocked on the door of the regional manager's office.


"Oh no, stop Dwight," he spoke in a very soft and almost inaudible tone, "Please don't… eh, never mind. He's too far."


"Did you really put a virus on his computer?" she asked.


"No," Jim tried controlling his laughter as he faced Pam once again, "Those were actually just screenshots of pop-up windows. I knew he wouldn't double check because he'd have to click one. It's amazing right?"


She almost laughed along with him but prevented herself from doing so. She was actually amused at the prank. That was the only thing she liked about Jim as she found Dwight to be the most annoying person she had ever met. However, she did not want to give him the satisfaction of knowing he can make her laugh. She shook her head and remained stoic, "It just gets more boring the more you do it, you know?"


"Wow!" he scoffed, "Beesly, is that a challenge?"


She was delighted at how he got offended at her dig on his pranking abilities,  "First of all, you just called me "Beesly" again. And second, I'm just saying, even your girlfriend over there doesn't look amused."


Jim turned around to see Cathy glaring at him from her desk, "Okay, first of all, she is my ex-girlfriend. Emphasis on the "ex". I really don't even know how we lasted so long. Second, I'm pretty sure she's looking at both of us, probably out of jealousy."


"What?" Pam felt her jaw drop in surprise. She didn't know what Cathy would be jealous about since in her four years at Dunder Mifflin, she had never shown any interest in dating Jim Halpert. Sure, she had an initial crush on him when she first started but that was all it ever amounted to. She didn't deny that he was a good looking man. In fact, some would even say he became hotter when he grew the beard and started going to the gym more. What really irked her was how conceited he actually was since he knew what people thought of him. It didn't help that Michael practically worshipped him and boosted his ego. If he wanted to, Jim could just wink at him and he would offer him his job.


He also knew how to turn on the charm which is probably why he was such a good salesman. He clearly had no problem flirting if he got a whiff of anyone being remotely interested in him. She probably would have fallen for it but then she started hearing rumors of his conquests: Countless receptionists quitting because he broke up with them after a month of dating, one night stands during sales conventions, sleeping with clients to gain extra sales. Even employees from other branches were aware of his notoriety and had a nickname for him, "The Man Whore from Scranton". 


Upon hearing that particular title, she made a mental note to herself to avoid doing things that would resemble flirting with him. She would always make sure that people were aware that she was peeved at him whenever he was at her desk. She thought she did a good job with that which was why she wasn't sure what Cathy would be disturbed about. If anything, she should be the one who was upset because like all the other temps before her, Cathy would constantly cry to her whenever there were problems with her relationship. She would often make feeble attempts to give sound advice because she thought they were all idiots. He was obviously a walking red flag and any woman who got involved should have known what they were signing up for. She was even more bothered that it was her they would come to for guidance as if she didn't hate being around the guy.


"News flash ladies, I don't know how to "save" Jim Halpert. And it's not your job to do that for him. Although, maybe get him to flirt with Phyllis so Bob Vance can beat him up." 


"You okay there, Bees— Pamela Morgan Beesly?" Jim waved his hand in front of her. She immediately snapped out of her inner thoughts, "There you are. I didn't know I was distracting you so much. Hmm, maybe Cathy does have a right to be jealous."


He gave her an arrogant smirk. She hated how narcissistic he was acting. She wished she could tell him that the world doesn't revolve around him but promised herself that she would only do it if she quits, "You are right. You definitely are distracting me. I just hope I accidentally don't give your clients to Dwight since you are such a distraction."


"How dare you," he said while doing a heartbreak sign with his hands.


"Just leave me alone, James, so I won't be tempted to do it," she wondered if she should say the next thing on her mind but worried that it might prolong his stay here, "And with Cathy, you should really just stop dating these women if you're not going to commit to them. It doesn't create a good working environment."


"I know…I was just expecting her to quit like everyone else. Silly me, right? Anyway, while we're on the subject of my dating life," Jim grabbed another jellybean. It was clear to her that he knew how irritated she was that he still had not left her alone, "do you have any friends who are interested? I heard your friend Isabel's single. I love a good dental hygenist"


"James Duncan Halpert," she gritted her teeth to force herself into a smile, "the last thing I want to happen is to have you in my inner circle because you got your sleazy hands on one of my friends."


"Sleazy? That's kinda harsh," he pretended to frown and smiled once again, "Come on. Not even a friend you don't really like? I can't be that bad. You know I've grown on you, don't deny it."


"Grown on me?" she snorted with laughter at his remark, "Jim, you make fun of me on almost a daily basis. I've told you I'm busy like multiple times and you still haven't left me alone. I'm pretty sure I have to restock on jellybeans thanks to you. So yes, you have grown on me. You have grown to be a massive pain in the ass."


"Well, speaking of jellybeans, you haven't changed candies in what, almost two years? You obviously like having me go here," he winked at her again. She rubbed her face with her hands and willed herself to not shout at him, "What about you? Why are you still single? Hasn't it been four months since Roy—?


"Do you really want to go there, Jim?" She gave him a serious look.


"Uhh, no. Never mind,"  he looked around to see if anyone could hear him before continuing, "Here's a thought. What about me and you? Don't you find it weird that we… you know…never got together? I mean we live on the same building… it makes perfect sense when you think about it. We could always carpool going to work. Save up on gas?"


Pam wasn't sure if he was kidding until he saw that stupid grin on his face.


"Well…as tempting as that might be," Pam really wanted him to leave but continued to indulge him nonetheless, "I had that three year engagement with Roy so you couldn't really do anything about that. Although, you probably should have so he'd beat you senseless. Then there was that time you flirted with Jessica at the Christmas party, remember her? Andy's girlfriend? Wait, was it just flirting because I remembered full-on making out. Man, he was so mad. Good thing you ducked and he hit the wall instead."


"Okay, can I comment on that one?"


"Nope. Can't weasel your way out of that. Everyone knew who she was except for you. And there's one other thing. Hmm…." she placed her finger on her lips and pretended that she was trying to remember what she was supposed to say. Jim's eyes narrowed as he tried reading her thoughts, "Oh, I remember now. The other thing is I would never, ever, ever date you in ten thousand years."


"Hmmm," Jim then mimicked her thinking pose, "so in ten thousand and one years, you're saying there's a chance?"


Pam sighed, "Close your eyes, Jim. I might have an answer for that."


He leaned forward and felt him staring into her eyes before closing them, "Okay, this better be good."


"Oh, it will…" she then scooped up a handful of jellybeans and threw them at his face.


He opened his eyes to check what was thrown at him, "Wow, I honestly did not see that coming. That's a waste of food, you know?" he laughed.


"Well, I just figured since you love these jellybeans so much—"


"Hey, Pam!" she was interrupted by Danny who was walking back to her desk, "By any chance, are the copies ready? I have to leave in… five minutes."


"Oh shoot, yes here they are. I'm so sorry. I know I said I was going to bring them to your desk but I got held up here," she glared at Jim whose eyes suddenly widened. He also had a huge grin on his face which infuriated her even more.


"Oh yeah, don't worry about that," he said as he obtained the copies from her hand, "So I'll see you both at this Dundies thing later right? Michael can't stop talking about it and he told me I had to go, so it must be a big thing."


"Yeah, I'm going," she replied. She thought about how he said "I'll see you both". She really hoped Danny didn't think there was anything going on between Jim and her. "I mean almost everyone goes. It's really optional, I mean.. I've never seen Jim here attend one for example… but you should come. They're really fun."


"Alright then," Danny smiled at her and she could feel her heart flutter upon seeing him do so, "I'll see you there."


They both watched him walk away to the exit. She continued looking even when he had already entered the elevator. She then caught Jim nodding his head with the smug grin still on his face, "Alright."


"What's that look for?" she asked.


"You have a crush on the new guy, don't you? No wonder you're so busy today," he eyed her suspiciously, "I mean I've asked you to make a photocopy so many times and you always blew me off. I had to learn how that contraption works."


"He actually asked me nicely and didn't say it like 'Hey Beesly, what are the chances you could have these copies ready before I leave for my date?'"


"God, that was one time. I hate it when you use that against me."


"And I do not have a crush on him."


"I could set you two up if you want," he clapped his hands together as if he suddenly had a lightbulb moment, "I can totally be your wingman. Look out gentlemen, Pamela Morgan Beesly is officially back on the market. And the great thing is it's not gonna be hard at all because you're already a 9 in Scranton."


"9? What do you— I mean, I don't even have a…" she struggled to find the correct words as he continued giving her that annoying smirk, "Fuck off, Jim! And you're not even going!"


She didn't realize how loud she was until everyone looked at the two of them. Her face fell down and she started playing with her mouse to appear like she was busy.

 

"On the contrary Pamela. Does Pamela work for you? I'm getting tired of saying your whole name. Hold that thought," he took out his phone and placed it on his ear, "Hey, Michael? Yeah, I know I said I couldn't make it tonight but my schedule suddenly freed up. It's so weird—"


Michael suddenly opened his door, ran towards Jim and wrapped him a tight embrace, "Oh my God! Ladies and gentlemen! Jimbo here is attending the Dundies! A miracle has happened in the halls of Dunder Mifflin. This is probably the best news I've received. You will not regret it, my friend."


"I'm going too, Michael," Dwight said as he followed him from his office.


"Oh, big shocker. Dwight is attending like he always does," Michael laughed as he punched Jim in the shoulder, "Can you believe this guy?"


He continued mumbling about the preparations he needed to do before heading back to his office. Pam raised her eyebrows, in disbelief over the recent turn of events. She then focused her attention back to Jim, "You do know what happens at these things right?"


"Yeah, I watched the tapes of the previous Dundies before. I think I know what I'm in for," he replied


"Alright, if you say so," she closed her container as he was about to get another jellybean, "Don't say I didn't warn you." 


"I can't wait to be surprised," He leaned over to her and whispered, "By the way, you should totally wear that red lipstick you had on last week if you want to hook up with him."


"Jim…how do you even know what I was—" she rolled her eyes at him, "You are such a douche, you know that? Just…stop it. Stop interfering with my…whatever this is."


"Hey, I'm just saying. And the offer still stands if you need help," he tapped his hands on her desk and turned around, "See you later."


She continued watching him work on his desk. She wondered why he was so interested in setting her up with the new guy. Not that she didn't want it to happen but she didn't want to rely on him to make it happen. She continued staring until she spotted Cathy giving her a dirty look.


"Has she been staring at me this whole time?" she asked herself. She looked away and resumed her game. 

Chapter End Notes:

Yes, Pam "hates" Jim.

I apologize in advance for turning Jim into a major tool but I promise that he means well. Think Mark Sloan rather than Todd Packer (lol)

Reviews are highly appreciated. Don't call her Beesly though.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans