- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

So this is NOT me being all "I told you so" because I'm sure I'm still wrong in some way or other, but I found this:

"I've never seen the green flash, nor the red tide, but I have been inside a rainbow. It's quite something.

I didn't think it was possible to get to the end of the rainbow. Usually, as one moves toward it, it recedes; it's always over the next hill or behind those trees... that's the point, right? That's why the leprechaun's treasure is so elusive...

Well, it was a few years ago, spring, a rainy day in Mathews, Virginia. It was one of those days when the dark clouds and sky serve as a dramatic backdrop for bright areas of sunshine; where random growth by the side of the road looks like technicolor plants from The Wizard of Oz. The road was so wet it was reflecting light. I kept driving through rain showers and then patches of sunshine that had a very misty quality, because of the high humidity. I was watching the rainbow, and was surprised to see that we seemed to be getting closer to it.

We rounded a bend in the road, and suddenly we were inside the rainbow. I could see colors in the water vapor in the air all around us; green and yellow and orange were the clearest, but shades of red, blue, and violet were also visible. It was kind of like looking through a translucent, colored filter, but the effect was (of course) three-dimensional.

The most amazing thing was that the phenomenon lasted--we must have been inside the rainbow for a good three-tenths of a mile." (source: http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=rainbow).

This is the third person who I've heard give a story similar to this, and the other two were very close friends of mine who I know aren't liars.  So, if you don't believe it, that's fine.  Just think of it as fantasy.  Please no more reviews saying I'm being unscientific, though.

 

Disclaimer: I don't own Jim, Pam, Dunder Mifflin, The Office, or rainbows.

Now we're finally on to the story.  I promise. 

Pam sighed as she trudged through the rain from her car to inside the Dunder Mifflin building. She was disappointed; she had brought her sketchpad and oil pastels and was hoping to do a little drawing during lunch. Since Jim had been back, they had been on friendly terms. But it was clear that things were not the same between them. There were fewer Jelly Bean visits than before, and Pam could often hear Karen laughing from across the room--the laugh that used to belong to her. So, Pam had taken to eating outside during lunch. There were lots of interesting things to look at, and Pam was hoping to draw some of them. But the rain put a stop to those plans.

It was another mind-numbing day filled with inane demands from Michael, insane ramblings from Dwight, and the endless, nauseating ring of the phone at Reception. By 11:00, Pam was thinking she should have called in sick. "Dunder Mifflin, this is Pam."

"Pam, it's Jim." Her head popped up as she strained to see where he was at. She couldn't find him.

"Where are you?"

"Outiside. You're taking lunch early. As in now, Beesly."

"What? Why?"

"Just meet me in the lobby as fast as you can. And bring that sketchpad."

Pam hung up, shaking her head in confusion, but complied. In a few minutes, she had switched to automatic voicemail and was downstairs. Jim grabbed her hand as soon as she got off the elevator. She blushed; it was the most contact they had had since Casino Night. He didn't seem to notice though, as he was leading her out the door.

"What is going on?" She demanded.

Jim just smiled and continued leading her across the parking lot. It had stopped raining, and the air was thick with moisture and anticipation. Not too far off, Pam could see a rainbow. and in seconds, they were standing seemingly toe-to-toe with it.

"Omigosh," she whispered, "It's so close!"

"That's not even the half of it, Beesly. Close your eyes, and take two steps forwards." She did. "Now, open them."

All around her, colors shone like emeralds, rubies, and sapphires. The light danced around her and she laughed with delight. Jim joined her inside the rainbow.

"This is incredible" she told him, "Thank you so much."

"Well, I was staring out the window and noticed how close it was, and..." his voice trailed off. He was staring at her. Her eyes darted down. Suddenly, the magic was gone, and the rainbow disappeared as the rain started up and the clouds covered the sky. Soon, Pam and Jim were standing there, drenched and laughing.

The rest of the afternoon, Pam tried to find the right combination of colors to sketch the rainbow, but she just couldn't do it.



MrsLloyderineHalpert is the author of 12 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Inside the Rainbow also liked 708 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans