- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

For xoxoxo, who picked up the gauntlet.  ;)

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

* * * 

Our world is dark and warm, and we share it in close proximity. Another world exists nearby, muffled by fluid and heartbeats. We cannot see, and will not remember (not consciously), but we can hear them. Her voice is with us always, his nearly so.

We link our fingers, and listen.

* * *

 

Jim?

...

Jim?

Unnnhhh wha?

Are you awake?

Hmmm... I am now... Are you okay?

Yeah, I just... do you know if we have any more soy sauce?

What?

Soy sauce. Do we have any more?

Something tells me you already know the answer to that.

No, ‘cause you may have put it in the very top cabinet, and I can't climb up--

Ugh. Beesly, I swear, if those weren't mine, I'd... oh, who am I kidding? Let's go check.

Yay. Thanks.

Yup. So. What do you need soy sauce for?

...

Oh, no.

A peanut butter sandwich.

Yech. Who are you?

Your one and only true love?

Do you have that in writing? ‘Cause--ow.

You did this.

Hey, you were there, too. Why can't you wake me up for that? What about my cravings? Ow! So violent.

Shut it. They'll hear you.

You think?... Hello, in there... yeah, hi. I'll be changing your diapers and watching your school plays and teaching you how to set a rolling pick -- but only if you let me sleep.

Don't believe a word he says. He can't set a pick to save his life.

You're awfully sassy for... 3:47 a.m.? Seriously?

Focus, Halpert: soy sauce. Then I'll tuck you back in.

No, you won't. Oh--look here. We're in luck. There you go, chef. Bon appétit.

Thank you!

Yup. See you guys in the morning. Unless maybe you need some mustard?

Eee.

Maybe some lumpy, chunky gravy?

Ew. Go to bed!

Heh.

...

Smartass.

 

* * *

Her wakeful hours are filled with a chirping noise, to which she always gives the same response. The repetition lulls us to sleep.

Our dreams are filled with voices.

* * *

 

Wah-hah-how! You're getting to be as big as a house!

Jan called.

 

* * *

 

You know, I was a twin.

Yes, I know.

I was the stronger twin.

Mm-hm.

You know what happened to my twin?

You ate him?

Resorbed. I resorbed him. Or her... crap, what if my extra strength came from a girl fetus?

I think your phone is ringing.

 

* * *

 

Are you excited? I'm so. Excited!

Yeah--

I mean can you believe we got pregnant at the same time?

I know--

Oh! What names are you thinking about?

We haven't real--

Omigosh! What if we have them on the same day! They'd be like brothers! Or sisters! Have you scheduled your C-section yet? ‘Cause I was thinking about August 17th--

Is that a famous person's birthday?

How did you know?!

...

 

* * *

 

When is the christening?

Oh, we hadn't really discussed that.

...

Maybe we should.

Maybe you should.

 

* * *

 

Nice blouse.

Thanks.

I read that a pregnant woman's... you-know-whats... can hold up to two gallons of milk, and if you don't get the milk out, they might burst.

Where did you read that?

The internet.

...

You'll probably need to buy some bigger blouses.

That's really inappropriate.

Sorry.

 

* * *

When he touches her just right, the pleasure bathes us in a chemical that makes us dance.

Our waltz makes them laugh.

* * *

 

Oh my god, that feels good.

Yeah?

Yes. Please don't stop.

But, see, if I keep this up, you'll expect it all the time.

No--aaaah! No, I swear. I won't--ooooh! I won't expect anything. I promise.

Really.

Really. I'll even do yours.

Really? You hear that in there? You're my witnesses. Your mother just promised to rub my fee--whoa!

Whoa! Can you see that?

Yeah!

...

Wow, look at ‘em go. That is awesome.

Ho! Yeah. Awesome. You don't have two creatures doing cartwheels on your bladder!

Creatures? I hope you two know that I will support your bids to be Olympic gymnasts, unlike somebody--

And I'll have you know the next summer games are in London, not my uterus, so you can chill out in there... ahhh, that's better. Now, where were you?

Wow. So bossy, Beesly. I think I know who Bad Cop is gonna be.

Well, duh.

 

* * *

Sometimes, when her heartbeat has been slow for several hours, we miss their voices. And so we wake them, and they speak to us in the hush, and apply soft pressure to our heads, our backs, our restless knees. Their concentration brings them together, and sometimes we are temporarily forgotten as they rediscover one another. Sighing voices and gentle rocking content us.

We will have their attention soon enough.

* * *

 

...

 

* * *

When the time comes, we are ready, but she can't sense our reassurances over the contractions. He hears, though, and tries.

We prepare.

* * *

 

It's too soon. Too soon.

Twins come early, remember?

But this early? Jim, I'm scared.

Shhh, it's okay...

No, I'm not ready.

You're having contractions right?

No, I mean I'm not ready. I don't know anything.

Shhh, Pam, you'll be fine. You'll know what you need to know.

How?

You just will. That's how it works.

But what if I don't?

You will.

Promise?

Yes.

Okay.

And also, there's Wikipedia.

Jim!

Okay, okay! Shutting up and driving. Here, hold my hand. Squeeze if you want. We're almost there...

 

* * *

There is immense pressure and we are separated. The air is cool, and the light bright, and we feel lost. Efficient hands bear our slippery weight and wrap us in blankets meant to be soft. We cry for the familiar. But then we come together again on her breast, our knuckles touching, and her heartbeat soothes us. Softly, they laugh and cry. He kisses her for being brave, and she apologizes for squeezing so hard.

They greet us with our names and we know them.

We are loved.

 



nomadshan is the author of 44 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 25 members. Members who liked We also liked 2145 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans