- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I own one thing in this world, and if you were to guess The Office and anything associated with it, you'd be wrong.

"Jim, I'm not putting this on," Pam held up a sweatshirt with the word 'Wassamatu' printed boldly across. She had been sick with a cold and asked Jim if he could help. She looked so helpless with her Rudolph nose; he had to help the girl out.

"Come on, it's a classic. Rocky and Bulwinkle, you can't tell me you didn't love that show."

"Yes, I understand that. Seriously Jim, why did you have this thing in your car anyway?"

"Because I get chilly from time to time, Beesly, the world is an imperfect place."

"I'll wear it on one condition, don't moose ear me."

"Moose ear you?"

"You know, this," Pam held up both her hands up to the sides of her head as moose antlers. Jim grinned.

"Wow, that's pathetic, and you thought I was the loser for having the thing in the first place."

"Suck it, Halpert." playfully punching him on the arm

"You know something; I don't think you could pull off. You don't look like Wassamatu material. I'd like it back." Jim's tone was light and Pam knew he was looking for a challenge. She smiled brightly and put it on. "Seriously, you're ruining my shirt and that good name behind it."

"Actually, you know something? I think this is a real good look for me. Plus you can't take back your offer." Pam walked out of the break room, knowing very well in less then a minute Michael would run out and make some sort of joke in her direction. This time she didn't care, for one she loved the Jim smell that was on the sweater, and two, she loved the smile she'd get from him every time he'd look at her that day. She even played it up to Michael when he came out 53 seconds after she sat down, moose ears and all.

*****

Karen walked over to Jim's desk, eager to make plans for dinner. Friday was their night, and it had been for months. Saturday's were always Jim's afternoon to watch Sasha while Toby had meetings with Corporate about the week before, and Sundays always seemed to have little things pop up all the time. But it was Friday, Jim and Karen's day together, just them, their chance to act like a real couple.

"So I was thinking we eat in tonight." Karen sat on Jim's desk hiking her skirt up so lightly that only Jim could notice.

Jim didn't know why, but he always found these advances from Karen annoying. He was the kind of guy who wanted to work for it, and she seem too eager to give it up. "Yea, sounds great, what time?"

"I don't know, seven maybe. I'm thinking about making some pasta. I'll start the fireplace and get some good wine." She let her pinky gentle brush his hand and slowly got up from his desk to walk back to hers. There were not sparks when he and Karen touched. It was nothing special, just something that was there. Jim didn't bother watching her walk away. He just went back to his work when he heard a huge sneezing attack behind him. He turned around to see Pam with what looked to be five tissues scrunched in her hand. He couldn't resist.

"Hey, Beesley, do you mind? Honestly. People are trying to work here." When he didn't get the respond he'd hope from her, he got a little worried. He walked over to Pam's desk to see what was up. "Pam, you don't look so good, maybe you should just leave early." She really did look as pale as could be and so frail in his big sweatshirt.

"Will you tell Michael I left; I don't want to deal with him again."

"Yea of course Pam, go drink lots of orange juice and get a nap or something."

"Thanks, Jim," Pam let out one of the weakest smiles she could force out, it even hurt to smile

*****

Ten minutes later Jim realized Pam still had his shirt, he didn't really mind, it's not like he ever wore it. It was a gag gift his roommate got him one year for his birthday; he can't even remember why it was in his car in the first place. Just then he heard a buzz come from his drawer. It must be Karen, he thought. She's always leaving him messages during the day. He pulled it out and read the message:

Way to not lock you car door, Halpert. Btw, it's raining. Don't forget your umbrella

It was from Pam. He was beginning to wonder why she was in his car, but looked passed it and just noticed her kind gesture alerting him of the weather.

******

At 5:13 Karen got up from her desk to leave, as she past Jim, she winked at him. It was things like that that bothered him. But only from Karen. He liked her, and she was someone who got him, but for some reason he couldn't bring himself to want her. Not the kind of want that you feel toward a cookie, where you can still crave it but not die over. Jim was looking for the kind of want that makes people blind. The kind that you ache for until you can't breathe anymore. He wanted Karen like a cookie, and that's about as good as it got. He never thought it would last this long. He was always figuring she'd be the one to break it off, but she never did.

He opened his umbrella and walked out towards his unlocked car. When he got in, something in the backseat caught his eye. It was his sweatshirt, and a note:

"Sorry if I 'ruined' it, but I just wanted to thank you for keeping me warm today. Always, Pam"

He read the note first with a small smile before picking up the shirt and instinctively putting it to his nose. His mind went back to the first time he was with Pam. Her first day. She went to his desk to thank him for all his help. She brushed his arm to let him know she meant it. He remembered the spark he felt from that touch. How the feeling lingered until he was well on his way home. And as she walked away Jim could smell her. He could never pinpoint it exactly. There were no copies of that smell anywhere in the world. And at that moment his heart was filled with want. The kind you forget to breathe over. He was still in love with her. He put the key into the ignition. Jim knew exactly what he had to do.

*****

"Jim!" Karen opened the door with a huge grin.

"I can't do this anymore." Jim blurted out with out thinking

"What are you talking about?" Karen’s heart dropped a little when she saw the look on his face.

"Us, Karen, I can't do this anymore."

He used her first name, he wasn't kidding around.

"Can you honestly say you are happy?" Jim added after Karen blankly kept staring at him.

And at that moment she knew. She can’t believe this didn’t come to her mind sooner. "It's Pam isn't it?"

"Huh?" Jim and Karen never talked about Pam, not in that way at least. "What do you...?”

"I'm not stupid; I see the way you two look at each other. And I know you don't really see me when you look at me. I'm not surprised about it, I can't believe you waited this long." She wasn’t hurt, and it shocked her.

"Karen, I'm really sorry. This isn't the best way to do it, but I just can't keep lying to myself."

"I know, Jim."

"So, I was never really good at this part. Where do we go from here?" All Jim wanted to do was turn and run out of her door frame. At least this was better then the last time he ha broken up with someone. He made a note to himself that night: Never, ever break up with a girl on a boat, or anything that does not allow for a quick getaway. Nothing good can come of it.

"Well, typically, depending on the situation, you either storm out in a rage or we hug, I guess. I normally don't end relationships on good terms with the guy." Karen wanted to make a joke, she felt just as awkward as Jim did in that moment.

He didn't know what to do. So he hugged her. It wasn't the best thing in the world, nor the greatest goodbye. At this point he didn't care.

As he walked down the steps he heard her call out, "Halpert, don't blow it!"

He ran to his car.

*****

Jim nearly flew to Pam's house in the rain, which had seemed to take a turn for the worse. He felt a rise in him he hadn't felt since last May. That deep wanting that was leaving him breathless as he walked up to her door, the rain soaking him to the bone.

Somehow he managed to calm himself as he rang the bell. He saw the light flick on and heard the door unlock. It was now or never, again. This time had to be different.

"Jim?!?!?" She was genuinely shocked to see him.

"Beesly,” he began breathless, “I was thinking, about that one kitchen thing. Do you really know how inconvenient that is? I mean come on," he was somehow managing a smile trying to hide the fact that his whole body was shaking from nerves.

"Jim, it's pouring out, what's going on?" she asked ask she clenched her cardigan close to her. She had no clue why he was there.

"Do you think, maybe, I can come in? It's a little damp out here."

"Oh, gosh, yeah. Let me get you a towel or something. How'd you forget your umbrella, I even texted you so you'd remember," she joked and turned to him to see the exact look he gave her in May, she felt butterflies in her stomach, smile fading.

"Well, I figured it be more romantic this way."

"Ok, seriously Jim, what's going on? Isn't tonight Jim and Karen night?" Pam wanted desperately to be able to read his face. He looked nuts, soaking wet; with a crazy look on his face, yet serious at the same time. It worried her.

"We broke up; well I broke up with her. She was just a cookie."

"A cookie? Jim were you spending time with Michael today?"

"No, she just, she just wasn't you, Pam"

"OK, I need to sit down" Pam grabbed her chest as she sat. Was this a dream? He did seem a little different. She thought maybe it was just her cold medicine kicking in.

"In the car, I got your note. And as soon as I saw my sweatshirt, well smelled it really... and I just," Don't screw this up. "Can I start over?"

"Please" Pam was almost enjoying the display in front of her.

"Listen, I know I did this before, and I know you weren't ready. I know I screwed up then. Pam, when I saw that sweatshirt on the seat, I forgot to breathe. And then when I picked it up, all that was there was you. I can't stop you, Pam. I still love you, and I know you said you couldn't before. But I know you feel it too, and I promise I will do what ever I can to make you realize that we're great together."

Pam looked up at him stunned; she really believed he was over her, and now this. A million thoughts came to her mind, but the one that stuck out the most was how much pain the first time around caused them both. She promised herself that if she ever got him back, she'd never let go.

"I think I better go. I understand this is a lot to comprehend in about two minutes." he turned to walk out the door.

Pam was frozen in her seat. She knew she had to snap out of it. She got up and ran to the now closed door. She opened it and ran down the path to grab Jim's arm. Her body felt weightless. He didn’t notice her; he was too busy cursing himself in his mind. She had to just say it or else she’d just be a sick girl in the rain. "Jim, I love you too." She called out.

He’d had a busy night so he wasn’t sure if he was imagining Pam, until he turned around to see her standing in the rain, soaking wet. The gaze was strong and his heart was beating out of his chest. He just barely found a way to speak, “Pam…”

“I can this time, and I will. I refuse to let you slip away anymore,” tears began to fall, but the rain just washed them away. “I’m crazy about you Jim!”

Jim started to inch close to her, until she was wrapped up in his arms. He never wanted to step back. Finally Pam spoke up again. “Jim, I am so in love with you.”

He dropped his head forward so that their foreheads touched. "I will always love you Pam." Jim brought his hands up to the sides of her face, holding her gaze with the kind of look that tells her something amazing is about to happen. He kisses her, slow at first, then deep and hard. Her hands reached up to his neck, feeling the rain fall on him. She pulled him even closer, never wanting to take another breath in her life.

It took them awhile to realize they were still kissing in the rain.

They didn't care.

Pam knew she'd come down with something worse then she already had, but somehow knowing Jim would be there to take care of her made it all OK.

When they finally took their first breaths, Pam spoke up, "Maybe we should take this inside," she said reaching for his hand, there was the spark he'd been looking for.

"Lead the way. I'm still curious about this kitchen thing..."

 

 



JamGirl is the author of 5 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 10 members. Members who liked The Moment Jim Realizes He Is Still In Love With Pam also liked 2272 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans