- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

I wasn't happy with the first title, so I changed it :)

She had decided not to come to work a dozen times this morning.

At 4:12, when she lay awake still, trying to decide how to tell Roy.

At 6:25, when his alarm made her heart jump into her throat.

At 6:33, when the scent of his shower gel drifted out of the bathroom.

At 6:50, when he tied his right shoe first, as he always did.

At 6:57, when he sat holding his left shoe, not sure what to do with her words.

At 7:19, when he walked to the closet and threw her wedding dress at her.

At 7:22, when he opened the front door, looked at the rain, and said bitterly, “Figures.”

Yet here she was. Almost.

When she had turned off her engine, she could still distinguish rain drops on her windshield. Soon, though, they became rivulets, then spread into sheets that flowed slowly downward. She could see the vague grey hulk of the office building, the yellow glow of sodium lights fooled by the weather.

The hardest part is over. All you have to do is open the door. Walk in. Hang up your coat. Check the voicemail. Just get started.

Her fingers were curled around the door handle. She was staring at them, willing them to move, when a dark shape approached her window, and knocked softly.

Lower the window. You can do that.

“Hey.”

“Hey.”

Uncertainty, then, “I thought you might need an umbrella.”

The sobs took her by surprise.

He reached in the window and unlocked the passenger door. She felt the car give as he climbed in, already trying to soothe.

“Shhh, hey. Pam. It’s okay.” He wasn’t sure he should touch her, so he leaned across and closed her window. She reached for his retreating hand, and held on.

“I told him.” She rubbed his knuckles.

He waited.

“It’s over.” She drew her fingers lightly over his palm, then raised her head, and exhaled a deep breath. She turned to look at him, almost surprised. “It’s over.”

He gave her a small concerned smile. “Are you okay?” His eyes held hers.

She brought his hand to her lips. “I will be.”

He drew his fingers across her cheek, brushing the tears into her hair. “I believe that.”

She smiled.

“Jim?”

“Yeah?” he whispered.

“I meant what I said last night. You can believe that, too.”

He closed his eyes and smiled. “I do.”

When he opened his eyes to her again, at 9:23, she felt her life start over.


nomadshan is the author of 44 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 12 members. Members who liked 9:23 also liked 2576 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans