- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
don't own anything...sadly.

 

 

“Ok, are you serious?” Jim said turning over to switch the lamp on before Pam could protest. “Jeez, how many times is this going to happen without me?”

 

Pam blinked a few times to clear her focus. She’d been just about to fall asleep, but between the baby and Jim, it looked like that wasn’t going to happen any time soon.

 

“Jim –

 

“Pam seriously…I have to like see this…Have her do it again.”

 

“I don’t think you can see anything, she’s still too small…and I can’t just make her do it…here,” Pam said grabbing his hand, just put it right here,” she said placing his large hand to the left of her navel…Now that she knows we want it, she’ll be stubborn though.”

 

“Obviously…....Wonder who she gets that particular trait from,” Jim said propping himself up on his elbow.

 

Pam poked him. “Shut up.”

 

He glanced up at Pam’s eyes and grinned. “This is so crazy…you know that right?”

 

“You’re telling me.”

 

“Ok Beesly…We can’t go to sleep…I have to feel it.”

 

“Jim, I’m tired.”

 

“Ok then…fine. You go to sleep…I’ll keep my hand right here,” he said patting her lightly.

 

Pam giggled and let her head fall against the pillow. When he followed her lead, she placed her head on his shoulder instead.  “Maybe if we just got really quiet,” she whispered. “We were being quiet before…that’s when it usually happens.”

 

“Ugh, what was that? ‘That’s when it usually happens,’” Jim said mimicking Pam voice. “Way to rub it in Beesly.”

 

“Sssh…sorry…….just be quiet. She’ll do it.”

 

They were quiet for a long moment. Quiet long enough for Pam to fall back to sleep. Jim on the other hand, blinked several times to clear his head. It had been a long day at work, and he could definitely have used the rest, but he wanted to feel…

 

“Whoa! Was that it?”

 

Pam mumbled something.

 

“Pam…was that the baby?”

 

She smiled with her eyes closed. “Yes…now go to bed. You have an early meeting tomorrow.”

 

“Wait…I’ll just be quiet again…maybe she likes it when we talk…and when we’re not talking – she kicks you.”

 

“Aww…that’s so nice of her,” Pam said, opening her eyes just slightly. “Can you at least turn the light off?”

 

Jim removed his hand from her belly just long enough to switch off the light, but it was right back there on her belly seconds later, pushing her t-shirt out of the way. He curled into her, laying his head on her breast.

 

He smoothed his hand in slow circles and wondered for the thousandth time how this could have happened? Well he knew how it happened….but honestly…how. It seemed impossible that someone could carry another human being inside of them. It seemed impossible that they were having a child – together.

 

But here there baby was, making her presence known in a very real way. Jim thought of the most recent picture they’d had taken that now hung on the refrigerator.

 

A little girl.

 

“I think maybe you’re right though,” Pam said suddenly.

 

“I thought you were sleeping.”

 

“I can’t sleep with you fidgeting around.”

 

Jim smiled and kissed her cheek. “Sorry….you think I’m right about what?”

 

“The talking…that she likes voices or something….earlier when you were on a sales call, the phones hadn’t rung for a really long time for some reason and suddenly she started kicking like…a lot. I put one your ear buds on my belly and she immediately stopped kicking.”

 

“What song was it?”

 

“Um……I can’t remember.”

 

“Pam…come on. Parental Advisory. There’s some inappropriate stuff on that iPod…you have to be more careful.”

 

Pam giggled and Jim felt his hand move up and down with it, so he laughed too. There was nothing better than lying in bed with Pam these days. Sometimes it was like this…laughter. Other times it was decidedly different – one of them having to calm the other down in the face of some kind of impending parenthood panic attack.

 

“Can you imagine? It must be so weird for her in there –

 

“Thanks.”

 

“No seriously…I mean I don’t doubt the accommodations are wonderful. A place we’d all want to stay Pam…But she can feel you laughing, can hear you…maybe other people. Do you think she can hear me when I talk to you?”

 

“Yeah,” Pam said tenderly, smoothing a hand over his stubble. “Especially when you’re close like this.”

 

Jim sat up suddenly, leaning down towards Pam’s stomach.

 

“What are you doing?” She asked giggling again. The shadow of his face was illuminated by the moonlight that shown through their window. He was smiling…an idea having hatched behind his eyes.

 

“Pam do your realize what this means?…This could  essentially solve all our problems.”

 

She frowned. “What problems?”

 

“We could try out names…she’ll tell us which one she likes…Baby naming: done.”

 

Jim was on a somewhat intense mission to check everything ‘baby’ related off of his to-do list these days. Naming the baby was one thing, and then buying all the things they needed, painting the second bedroom, etc. It was a very detailed list.

 

Pam smiled widely. “Oh my God…try it.”

 

Jim took a deep breath and this time, placed both of his hands on Pam’s belly. “Ok baby…so here goes. This is very important…so don’t mess up.”

 

“Jim that’s too much pressure.”

 

“Pam…this is important,” he said forcing himself to keep a straight face. He blew out a breath as if prepping for something very major.

 

“Now,” he said turning back to the baby in Pam’s stomach as if he could see her. “These are the names that are currently in the running…If at any point you hate the name, and want us to keep going with alternate names…kick. However, if you like the name…do not kick.”

 

“Very clear instructions.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

But…Jim…don’t get disappointed if she doesn’t do it. She may not understand you yet.”

 

He shook his head. “Pam. She’s going to understand. Why wouldn’t she? She’s only surrounded by the flesh of a human being and water…why wouldn’t she understand exactly what I’m saying? Ye of little faith Pam…Ye of little faith.”

 

“Sorry…I don’t know what came over me,” Pam said giggling.

 

Jim cleared his throat. “One name currently on the table…in spite of my better judgment –

 

Pam whacked him in the arm.

 

“Ow!...No, no…the name is not ‘ow’ but that’s what happens when mommy hits daddy…hopefully when you’re born the abuse will end. I don’t know…”

 

“Oh my God just say the name!...The name is Erica! Erica,” Pam said emphasizing once more for the baby.

 

“Oh nice Beesly…my idea to present the names to the baby and you totally steal it.”

 

“You were taking too long…so suck it,” Pam said matter of factly.

 

Jim shook his head and sighed. “Yes, the name is…Erica.”

 

There was silence for a moment. “Maybe she likes it?” Pam asked.

 

Boom – a small, but to the point kick. “Whoa!” Jim exclaimed, his eyes wide. “I do not think she is favor of that name Pam…I knew it,” he added in a stage whisper.

 

Pam rolled her eyes, “Ok try one of your choices, Halpert.”

 

“I was just about to Pam…I was just about to. I’m confident that our child will see reason.”

 

“Well confidently say the name then Jim and quit stalling,” Pam said with a smile. Jim gazed up at her for a moment and their eyes locked. He was suddenly very turned on by her. But what else was new?

 

He slowly turned back to her belly. “Wow…Mommy is not nice…….Julie.”

 

Pam quickly put both hands on her belly, next to Jim’s and rubbed slowly.

 

Shut up…” Jim sighed accusingly.

 

“What?” Pam asked innocently.

 

“No coercion, Beesly.”

 

“That’s not what I’m doing.”

 

Jim rolled his eyes. “You’re totally like sending her subliminal messages right now….”

 

“I don’t even know what you’re talking about….besides, I’m carrying her…I think I deserve a little loyalty.”

 

Jim shook his head. “Unbelievable.”

 

Boom. Boom.

 

“Oh-ho! Two kicks! Two!” Pam exclaimed, holding up two fingers. She pushed herself to a sitting position. “Beat that Halpert!”

 

“Wow…I can’t believe you are getting so competitive about our child’s name. Don’t you have any shame?”

 

“Um, I think our child will appreciate me advocating for her…the name we’d talked about was Julia anyway.”

 

“Um…no it wasn’t.”

 

“Yes it was.”

 

“No…

 

“It was -

 

“Pam!” Jim said cutting her off. “It doesn’t matter anyway…if she doesn’t like Julie, she’s not gonna like Julia. No matter how “different” you say they are.”

 

Pam sighed.  “Whatever…Ok…my turn…Melissa.”

 

Jim let his head fall back dramatically. “For God’s sake…I’m pretty sure that went in the ‘Never To Be Spoken of Again’ pile when we pulled them out of the hat Beesly.”

 

“What? It can’t hurt to test it out Jim…”

 

Jim leaned close to Pam’s belly and started to chant, “Kick, Kick, Kick…”

 

“Jim!” Pam squealed, trying to be firm, but failing when her mouth broke into a smile.

 

“What? I’m instilling the desire for sports. It builds confidence in girls, Pam…read a book.”

 

Pam rolled her eyes.

 

Boom. Boom.

 

Pam sighed dejectedly. “Wow…two kicks again. Jim…what if she doesn’t like any of them? We’ve been through like every baby book ever made…you and I can’t agree and if she doesn’t like them either…”

 

“She will Pam, she will…We haven’t tried the new one yet.”

 

“Oh you mean the one from yesterday?” Pam said smiling at the memory. It had happened just the other day on a fluke. They’d been walking through the grocery store when someone else had called their little girl. They’d both taken a liking to it almost instantly. Even though they’d read it of course in books…it had felt different when used out in public.

 

“Yep.” Jim said and took Pam’s hand in his.  “Jill,” they both said together.

 

Pam smiled and whispered. “Jinx…not allowed to talk until the baby kicks.”

 

Jim rolled his eyes and went to argue but she held a finger to his lips. “Jim, we don’t want to teach her to be a cheater do we?....Now Follow the rules.”

 

Jim shook his head and put his hand on her belly, silently waiting.

 

They waited and….waited, while minutes passed.

 

Pam smiled gleefully and turned to him. He smiled back.

 

“I think she likes Jill!” Pam said giddily. “I think I like it too.”

 

Jim nodded his agreement through a smile. That was great…his daughter had just made it impossible for him to talk though. Hmm…well…he could certainly think of other things to do in the dark. And suddenly he was much to giddy to sleep anyway.

 

“What Jim…you look like you want to say something. You look like you want to say something but you just can’t …”

 

Pam smiled up at him, knowing what he was thinking and he put one arm on one side of her and then the other. Jim nodded, as he anchored her in place, apparently whatever he had in mind was very serious business.

 

“Oh what…You want Dwight to be Jill’s Godfather? I don’t quite understand…”

 

He shook his head and silenced her words with a slow, heated kiss. A kiss that left nothing up for interpretation. She knew exactly what he wanted, and she absolutely concurred.

 

Pam giggled. “Oh…oh I…I think I understand….feel free to elaborate though…wow…Jim may I just say you are very, very good with sign language? So…expressive – wow! Do that again twice if you like the name Big Daddy…”

  

 



LoveFool is the author of 48 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 6 members. Members who liked Kicking Around Names also liked 1861 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Baby Talk. The previous story in the series is Upcoming Birthdays. The next story in the series is Mixed Messages.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans