- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Set during Conflict Resolution.  If you think these characters are mine, you're a moron.
After Michael pays the photographer for the last shot of their group picture, Dwight goes to his desk to make the daily notes on Jim's behavior that he compiles for every Friday's appointment with Toby.

He's flipping open the notebook when he remembers that that's not an option anymore. He's going to have to take care of things himself from now on. He sets down his pen.

"Jim," he says loudly, "I did not try to kiss you and we both know it."

Jim looks over as his computer makes the shutdown noise.

"What?"

"Telling lies about people is unprofessional. And it is immature. And I won't stand for it."

Jim is looking over at reception, where Pam is pulling on her coat and not looking over at them. She walks out quickly, head down, even though it's only 4:56. Dwight makes a mental note.

"Are you listening to me, Jim?" says Dwight, and Jim finally glances over.

"WHAT... are you talking about?" he says, standing up.

"This morning, when Michael had the file, you told the whole office that I tried to kiss you, which is a blatant falsehood--"

Jim makes a face.

"Are you honestly telling me you don't remember?" He slings his bag over his shoulders.

"Of course I don't remember, because there's nothing to remember," says Dwight, following him.

"Well," says Jim. "It was pretty early in the morning. Have you ever been known to sleepwalk?"

Dwight glances quickly back at Angela's desk as they walk out.

"No," he says, "Schrutes never do anything without knowing about it."

They round the corner and Jim pushes the button for the elevator.

"Well," says Jim. "There has to be some explanation for it, is all I'm saying."

"An explanation for what?" says Dwight.

"You and me ... here in the elevator, last week ....." Jim raises his eyebrows. The doors ding as they open.

"No," says Dwight. "I'm always here before you, anyway." Jim pushes the button for the ground floor and Dwight reaches in front of him to punch the door close button.

"Yeah, that's what was weird about it," says Jim. "But we were in the elevator and you got all, you know, touchy."

"Touchy?" says Dwight. "That is such a lie. You are a liar and that's why you'll never get anywhere in life, Jim."

Jim's jaw clenches and he looks over at Dwight sharply.

"Well, you're the one who comes on to people in elevators, Dwight." He puts a hand on Dwight's chest and Dwight's so startled his superior reflexes don't kick in and he steps back to the side of the elevator without thinking. Jim moves with him. "You're the one who claims not to remember that moment we shared." He's standing really close -- invasion of Dwight's personal space. Dwight glares. "Memory loss? Denial?"

The elevator settles to the ground and after a long moment the doors slide open and Jim steps back, his face smoothing out and he tilts his head.

"I'm just saying, maybe you want to get that checked out."

He turns and saunters out and Dwight stands staring after him. Yet another example of why he can't possibly be expected to work with Jim any more. He's sure Michael will see it. Eventually.

"Stamford!" he yells when Jim gets to the corner. "Transfer!" and Jim waves him off without looking back.


kyrafic is the author of 8 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Cage Match also liked 51 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans