- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The "Evening Coming" challenge put this little idea in my head, so I decided to go for it. Let me know what you think, I wrote it pretty fast and should probably have sat on it before posting. ;)

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

[Evening coming

the office girl

Unloosing her scarf - Jack Kerouac]

 

 

 

She learned to crotchet over the summer.

Her mother tried for years to teach her to knit, but the needles proved to be too difficult; she felt awkward and uncomfortable, juggling one too many things in her hands.

Crotchet was different. She felt at ease, determined as she worked, with one hook, one ball of yarn. She decided to make herself a scarf.

Starting was easy, as she made one long interrupted chain. It gave the illusion that she was making progress, but it was really just the first step in a long line of many.

She learned slowly; single crotchet, double crotchet, harder ones like the popcorn and v-stitch. Some nights she unraveled more than she made, but she used the sound of the pulled out stitches – a satisfying “rrrr” noise – as encouragement not to give up.

One step forward, two steps back. Two steps forward, no steps back. She would get there eventually.

One night it just happens, and she is finished. She figures that if it happened any earlier or later it wouldn’t have turned out the way it did. Or been as perfect despite the obvious flaws.

Now she stands by the window in the apartment, wearing her scarf and feeling warm; it might be because evening is coming, the dusky pink sky opening up shadows and filling the room with promise.

Or it might be him.

He stands in front of her, not quite close enough to touch, but not out of her reach. She looks at him, and reaches up to loosen her scarf. He steps forward.

He slides the scarf slowly from around her neck, long fingers catching on every imperfection, somehow smoothing each one out. One gentle tug brings her closer, closer to him, and his eyes hold her.

She trails a hand along his arm, fingers intertwining through the soft yarn. She leans forward as his eyes close. She whispers in his ear.

“I made it.” She feels his next word start from the tips of her fingers.

“Beautiful.”

She can feel the scarf slip from between their fingers as his lips catch hers.

 

 

 



Bennie is the author of 28 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Her Scarf also liked 24 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans