6 Years After Dunder Mifflin Closed by takemyhandx
Summary: When Dunder Mifflin has been closed for 6 years, where would Pam and Jim be?
Categories: Alternate Universe, Jim and Pam Characters: Jim/Pam
Genres: Angst, Fluff, Married, Romance
Warnings: No Warnings Apply
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 2912 Read: 9962 Published: April 04, 2007 Updated: April 06, 2007

1. Chapter 1 by takemyhandx

2. Chapter 2 by takemyhandx

3. Chapter 3 by takemyhandx

Chapter 1 by takemyhandx

Pam ran her fingers through her long, curly hair as she walked home from work. It's been six years since Dunder Mifflin had closed, and Pam hadn't talked to any of them since. Not Roy. Not even Jim. She's married now, to a wonderful man named Glen. He's a year older than she, 33. He is tall, lanky with black hair. He has the most georgous eyes, a deep navy blue. His only flaws are laziness and he has a slight drinking problem, (which she didn't know about when she married him.) She has a beautiful daughter named Lily, who is 3 years old. She had changed so much in the last six years. Her wardrobe, for one. No more sweaters and long skirts. She was a high-paid graphic designer for a local company, and pantsuits were her new thing. She's finally left the past in the past and moved on for once.

----

She continued to walk the last 5 blocks to her new apartment. She reached into her coat pocket and grabbed the white iPod Glen bought her for Christmas last year. She 'shuffled' the songs:

I want to live where soul meets body,

and let the sun wrap its arms around me;

She hated that song now. Bad memories, to say the least. It only brought back the image of her and Jim the the parking lot listening to his iPod, her hair swaying the the breeze and him looking intently at her. She pulled the headphones out of her ears.

----

Pam arrived at her apartment, stuck the key in the hole and opened the door to her puppy shnoodle, Bex, and Lily running towards the door.

"Daddy! Mommy's home!"

She ran to Pam, and Pam lifted her daughter in her arms and carried her to the kitchen.

"Honey, did Daddy make you dinner?"

"No, he said that's your job."

Pam loved Glen, she knew that much, but she had to admit that his laziness and carelessness was getting agrivating. She never could fall for the good guys could she?

"Aw, baby, it's so late. Let me make you something? Do you want some spaghetti?"

Lily's face lit up and the word. "Yay! Please, mommy?"

"Sure, sweetie." Pam kissed her daughter on the forehead and went into the pantry to get the pasta. She poured it and the water into a pot and boiled water. She left the kitchen to get changed into sweats when Glen came into the room.

"Hey babe."

He grabbed her waist and kissed her hard on the lips. She giggled as his cold hands touched her bare stomach, and she pulled away.

"Hey, missed you today."

"I know I missed you, too."

He lifted the phone off the hook and handed it to Pam.

"Pam, there's a message here...from someone named James Halpert? It came up on the caller ID...do we know a James Halpert?"

Her heart began to beat fast, and her legs were slightly quivering at the sound of his name. Why the hell would he be calling here? How did he even get our number?

"Uhm...I don't recall knowing..."

"Well, if you 'recall' he left a message. I didn't bother to listen to it, cause I thought it was for you."

"Well, thanks for helping me out, I only work 9 hours every day of the week and still manage to clean, walk the dog, and raise a child."

He started to look a little mad, and she knew she shouldn't have said anything. She needed to learn to be quiet, because she knew he had a temper.

"What did you say?"

She looked at the ground nervously and pulled off her black boots.

"Nothing...I'm just....busy."

"Oh don't tell me about busy!"

He picked up a photo off of thier dresser and threw it against the wall.

"What the HELL, Glen! Lily is right out side the door, could you be any more immature?! We have been fighting like this everyday and its becoming too much!"

He kicked the broken glass, and a peice hit Pam in the arm and cut her.

She gasped in pain and held her arm.

"We are so out of here...I'm going to my mothers. I'm taking Lily with me. When you decided to chill out, I'll come home."

She grabbed a bag from her closet and shoved the first pair of clothes she saw, went into Lily's room and packed some clothes & toys, and they were out the door in a matter of minutes.

She strapped Lily into her carseat in the back of Pam's blue Yaris. She got in the car and tried her best not to cry in front of her child. She always wanted to seem strong, but she couldn't. She began to drive, and her shoulders shook up and down. Lily's singing twinkle twinkle little star stopped, and she began to talk to Pam.

"Mommy, why are you crying?" She began to twirl her brown curly hair with her little fingers.

"It's nothing, sweetie. Mommy and Daddy are just having a little fight...we are going to stay at Grandma's tonight, alright baby?"

"Yes, Mommy. I heard the message....from James." She smiled, because James was the name of the little boy she liked in her Pre-kindergarten class.

Pam's eyes widened with curiousity.

"Do you know what he said?"

"Uhm..." She tapped her finger on her chin in deep thought.

"Nope. Is he your friend, Mommy?"

Pam smiled at the words her daughter spoke. They used to be friends. Best friends. But now, they were nothing more than aquaintences.

"We used to be, Lily. We were best friends, actually. I think you would have liked him, he's very funny."

"I like funny people!", she almost screamed from her little carseat.

Pam giggled, "Yes, I know you do, sweetie."

Lily yawned in the back seat, "I'm sleepy..."

"Take a nap, it is late anyway, it's way past your bedtime."

"Ok, I will. Love you, Mommy."

"I Love you too."

---

Pam had been driving now for 45 minutes, and she was getting drousy. She lifted her cell phone and quickly scrolled though her contacts at a red light. She couldn't believe the name"Jim Halpert" was still in her contacts. She decided it was alright to call, even without hearing the message. She pressed send and began to sweat, waiting to hear his voice for the first time in six years.

"Uhm, hello?"

"Jim? Its...It's Pam."

"Oh my god, its really you...." he mumbled.

She smiled at the sound of his voice.

"What was it you needed to tell me?"

End Notes:
Ok everyone! I hope you like the opening chapter, it's not really exctiing but there's much more to come! Stay tuned! Next chapter will be up by tomorrow!
Chapter 2 by takemyhandx
Author's Notes:
OK, Pam's mother has some encouraging words for Pam! I think that something good is going to happen between Pam and Jim in chapter threeee ( yay ) So stay tuned!

She held her breath as she waited for Jim's reply. She never really pictured herself talking to him again, ever since Dunder Mifflin closed. It was bad enough he married Karen, that she knew for sure.

"It's...Karen. She left me, for that guy from corporate. I don't even know what happend. I just uhm, thought you'd want to know."

Was he serious? Did he really think she would wait this long for him? Well, she thought to herself, I probably would have if my theripist (which I needed after Roy's abusive meltdown) didn't reccomend I move on. But here they were again, talking, waiting, listening to eachothers breath.

"I - I'm so sorry...to uhm, hear that. But, well."

She took a deep breath, dreading the words that are about to escape her lips.

"I'm married now, to Glen. You, uhm probably don't know him but- yea...uh"

Jim cut he off, quickly, as if he had something terribly important to say.

"Glen...Glen Scezinski?"

She felt a sudden heat rush over her body and she didn't know why.

"Uhm, yea...do you, uhm know him?"

She heared a sigh from the other side of the phone.

"Yea, we were in the same business class. Damn, I hated that guy..." he mummbled.

"Excuse me? What makes you say that?"

She knew she was getting a little too defensive, but she didn't care.

"He was a little on the uhm...crazy side. I remeber he shoved some other student in our class against the wall cause he got moved up and Glen didn't. Pam, for you own good...I'd stay clear. He's dangerous."

"Uhm, yea. Alright, well I'm on my way to my mom's, Glen and I were fighting and he got a little out of hand. But anyway....."

She needed to change the subject, because talking to Jim for 10 minutes made her realize her life was a mess. She needed him, at least as a friend, to be in her life.

"Mommy, are we there yet?" Lily was getting a little restless in the back seat. She didn't like to drive in the car for too long.

"Yes, baby, we will be there in ten minutes.."

Pam moved the phone back to her ear.

"Jim are you still there?"

"Yea. You,  uhm, have a kid now too?"

"Yea, her name's Lily. She's three."

"That's funny..."

She looked a little confused. "What's funny?"

"Lily. That's...my favorite name."

She waited a while before she answered, making sure she chose the right words.

"I...I know."

She waited a bit before she could buck up the courage to keep talking.

"Jim, I'm at my mom's now, I need to...to go."

"Wait, Pam."

"Yes?"

"Maybe we can go out, sometime. Just, as uhm, friends to catch up? Maybe I could meet Lily?"

She smiled into the phone, and she was sure Jim could feel it.

"Sure, I'd - We'd love that."

"Alright, see ya, Pam."

"Night, Jim."

----

Pam pulled into her mother's driveway, and it was 1:00 AM. No lights were on in the house so she decided it was best to keep quiet. She lifted the sleeping Lily from her carseat, grabbed the two bags of clothes, and entered her mother's house using the spare key. She walked into the kitchen and as she did, a light flicked on. It was her mom.

"Pam...honey is that you?"

Pam felt the sudden urge to cry, because her life was crumbling before her own eyes, she couldn't even sleep in her own apartment without feeling nervous or stressed or god knows what.

"Yes, it's Lily, and me. Can we stay here...just for a little while?"

"Of course, you know you are always welcome..."

Pam's mother pulled her robe closed and walked over to Pam and her sleeping little girl.

"What happened? Did Glen do something to you again?"

"Well, sort of. He went a little baslistic earlier and I told him we were...leaving untill he cooled down. I don't know Mom, I can't keep living my life like this!"

Pam laid Lily on the couch as they entered the family room.

"Well, the only solution, which would be a huge step for you honey, would be to file for divorce...if you aren't happy."

Pam sighed and rested her head in her hands. It's not the first time that she ended up back at her mom's because of Glen. This did need to stop.

"I...guess I could but what about Lily? Wouldn't she want to be with her father, too? I just want her to be happy..."

Now all she did was cry. She cried and cried, and she tried to change the subject.

"I...talked to Jim today. Remeber him from Dunder Mifflin?"

"Oh, yes the one who was in love with you. Of course I remeber."

"He was just my friend, Mom. But, yea, he called today because his girlfriend...wife, I mean....god, that's so weird to say. Well she left him. For one of her ex's."

"Aw, that's tragic, dear! Did he say anything else?"

She looked at her mom.

"Uhm, not really. It was hard to tell, but I still think he's interested in me...as a friend. He wants to meet Lily, and for us to catch up. So I'm thinking when Glen goes to his business meeting in Las Vegas I will invite him over."

"That sounds wonderful!"

"Well, if its OK, I think I'm going to head to bed."

"Alright, well if you need me...you know where I am."

"Thanks, Mom. Goodnight."

"Night, Pam."

---

 

End Notes:
Ok next chapter, JIM"SSSS COMMINGG OVERR! By the way, reviews are gold, and if I get more, the fluffier/better JAMness there will be!! Ok ?! Thanks!
Chapter 3 by takemyhandx
Author's Notes:
Short chapter, I have to go out to run errands. Jim come over (next chapter) so sorry it wasn't this one. This one is good though. Give some valuable info on Pam.

Pam awoke to the smell of eggs and bacon, and she felt like she was a child at home again. Lily was still sleeping next to her in the bed, so she tried not to wake her when she got out of the bed. She wiped her dried mascara from her face, got dressed, and went downstairs for breakfast. She loved being with her mother, but she couldn't wait to get home and see Jim again.

"Good morning, Pumpkin."

"Hey, Mom. Lily and I will eat, but we really need to head home. I think that Glen's plane leaves around noon, so we are just going to hang out for a little."

"That's fine, I made your favorite breakfast, Pam! Ham and egg omelet and a side of bacon!"

Pam's eyes sparkled, and she instantly became ten times hungrier.

"Thanks! I can't even remeber the last time someone's cooked me a meal..."

After she spoke, she instantly thought about that night Jim made his 'famous grilled cheese sandwitch' and they watched Dwight and Kevin almost kill themselves with firworks. No matter how much she claimed to hate Dunder Mifflin, whenever she thought about it, she got a knot in her stomach because she really did miss it.

--

Lily woke from the bed Pam and she slept in and walked down the hardwood steps. Pam turned around and lifted her little girl and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Hey munchkin! You're up late! Grammy made you some breakfast, then we need to get going home, alright?"

"Okey dokey. Will you play a game with me?"

Pam smiled and laughed, "When we get home, but don't forget, Jim is comming today!"

Lily squeeled and clapped her hands together. She and Pam don't get many visitors, so this will really be a treat.

---

Twenty minutes later, Pam and Lily were packed and in the car ready to go home. Pam strapped her daughter in the carseat, and she quickly dialed her home phone to see if Glen was still there. Half of her wanted him to be, to tell him that she can't live with him anymore if he is going to act the way he does, and half of her didn't want him to be there because she didn't feel like being yelled at every second of the day. There was no answer at the house, and she sighed in relief. She popped in one of Lily's daycare CD's and started to dail Jim's cell. "Old McDonald" blared through the speakers while she waited for him to pick up.

"Hello?"

She smiled.

"Hey, Jim. It's Pam Beelsey. From Dunder Mifflin."

"Hey, uhm. I'm sorry I don't think I remeber a Pam Beelsey. Are you sure you have the correct Jim Halpert?"

She laughed at his stupid joke, and started talking a mile a minute.

"So...I was thinking that you would want to stop by the afternoon? We could go out...or uhm, you could just come to my house? Glen's out of town, which is good because he's not into visitors and-"

"Woah woah, Beesley, slow down! Yes, I'd love to come over to your house. I will be set with my storytime books and my mix of childrens songs."

"Oh shut up, you must still be intrested in me too, not just my daughter."

She felt weird saying that but she couldn't take it back now.

"You know I'm only kidding, gosh since when have you turned so anti-prankster?"

He was right. Ever since they stopped chatting, she hadn't done many jokes on anyone for that matter.

"I have not! I just...don't have anyone to prank anymore."

"Sure Beesley, quit using lame excuses."

Soon fell an awkward silence, assuming neither knew what to say next.

"I uhm. Just want to tell you, that...well Glen and I...are probably going to be getting divorced."

"What? Why? I thought you were happy?"

"Well, you thought wrong. We've been fighting every day, basically about nothing....stupid things that are just in his head. My only concern is my daughter, and I don't want her to be raised in a house that has this hostile mood all the time! Do you know what I mean?"

"Of course. You'd want her to have a dad that was loving- like...read her stories before she goes to bed, take her to the park...out for ice cream...to the beach. Enjoy his time with her, instead of being out drunk with friends and wasting it....You know. Just the nice things..."

Every word he said made her stomach twist and turn. It's like he knew exactly what Glen was missing. He (Glen) never did any of those things with Lily, and the sad part was, she knew Jim would have done every single one.

"Uhm, yea. Totally...I have to go, I'm at my house now....so I'll see you in...two hours?"

"Sounds good Beelsey."

"Alright see ya, Jim."

"Wait, Pam?"

She bit her lip when he said her name with such an intense, caring voice.

"Yes?"

"You know...if you are having problems, I'm always yours to talk to."

She smiled. The phrase he used, I'm always yours, gave her a lump in her throat. She cleared her voice to attept to talk.

"I know. Thanks...alot."

"Bye, Pam."

She hung up the phone and parked her car in the parking spot. She turned around and looked at her daughter.

"Hey, let me know what you think of Jim, alright Lily? Because, since we are friends and all, he'll probably be around...alot."

"Ok, but if he's your friend, Mommy, I'm sure I will like him!"

Pam stepped out of the car, smoothed her yellow sundress, and put on her white sweater. She was so ready for seeing him again.

 

End Notes:

Sorry to dissapoint for not having Jim over, but I sware to you all it's going to be in the next chapter, I had to stop this one because I have to go run errands!!! REVIEWS ARE LIFE. MORE REVIEWS = QUICKER CHAPTER 4 COMES UP. Thanks!!

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1563