Thirty-Five by PamPongChamp
Summary: A series of vignettes exploring the different ways Jim might celebrate his 35th birthday based on the choices he made earlier in life.
Categories: Jim and Pam, Other, Future Characters: Jim/Karen, Jim/Pam
Genres: Fluff, Married
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 2117 Read: 10524 Published: June 11, 2007 Updated: February 18, 2008
Story Notes:

 

Disclaimer: Don't own a thing 

1. One by PamPongChamp

2. Two by PamPongChamp

3. Three by PamPongChamp

One by PamPongChamp
Author's Notes:
If Jim had stayed in NY with Karen...

"Jim!"

 

He was straightening his tie for the umpteenth time in the large mirror above the dresser.  Behind him, the New York skyline was glowing through the large windows.

 

Thirty-five years old.  Here he was, almost half-way through his life.  He couldn't be sure if this was the life he'd pictured for himself ten or so years ago, but he had adjusted well.

 

Jim and Karen had been living in New York for more than five years now.  He was still at Dunder-Mifflin, spiffy office and all.  Karen had gotten a job for a real estate company; they were doing pretty well for themselves.  They had a swanky penthouse apartment together, spending their weekends at fancy parties and their summers in Europe or some exotic island.

 

He was beginning to see what being an adult was all about.  Sure, sometimes he missed watching cartoons in his sweatpants on a Saturday night and eating dinner at Chili's.  He went to basketball games and sat in a private box instead of sandwiched between two strangers and drinking eight dollar beer out of a souvenir cup.  But he wouldn't complain.  This was the life that everyone wanted.

 

She appeared in the doorway in her party dress that he was positive had cost them a fortune.  "The car is downstairs, so can you hurry up a bit?"

 

This was the kind of lifestyle Karen was born for.  Under the lights of hotel ballrooms she glowed.  Every fancy party dress and tailored pantsuit fit her perfectly.  Seeing her so happy and in her element was all that got him through that first year. 

 

He went to her and wrapped his arms around her waist, "Can't we tell the car to leave? I just want to stay here," he growled seductively.

 

She squirmed a bit, "No, come on.  We have to go."

 

"Karen," he whined, "It's my birthday."

 

She sighed, "I know.  But this fundraiser is really important." She rubbed his shoulders. "My boss expects me to be there.  I need to talk to some clients.  We need to at least make an appearance, schmooze a little." She whispered in his ear, "And then we will come back here and we can celebrate all you want."

 

"Any way I want?" he raised his eyebrows.

 

"I dunno, let's see how drunk I can get."  She playfully smacked him with her clutch.  "I'll be down in the car, hurry please."

 

He watched his gorgeous new wife rush out of the room and quickly surveyed his appearance in the mirror.  A man in a two-thousand dollar tux stared back at him.

 

Yeah, being an adult wasn't so bad.

 

End Notes:
I see their apartment as something like <url="http://www.storesonline.com/members/534303/uploaded/apt.jpg">this</url>

and yes, I realize that makes Jim and Karen ungodly rich.

<url="http://images.bloomingdales.com/is/image/BLM/products/0/optimized/118770_fpx.tif?wid=200&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bilin&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg">Karen's Dress</url> 

Two by PamPongChamp
Author's Notes:

If Pam had married Roy...

A million thanks to TooLateKev and Wildberryjam for keeping my writing from being crap. :) 

"Jim!"

"Hey man" Jim stepped onto the porch to hug Ben, "It’s been too long."

"Yeah, it has."

Jim and Ben don't hang out like they used to.  That's because Ben and their older brother Jon both have families, and real lives.  The kind of real lives that Jim had been convinced he would have by now.

"Listen, thanks for coming all the way up here."

"It is not a problem. I wasn't going to leave you high and dry on your birthday."

Thirty-five years old.  He had to call his little brother and sound as pathetic as possible to ensure that he wouldn't spend this birthday alone.

"So you're like, officially old now, aren't you?" Ben teased following Jim to the kitchen.

"If I remember correctly," Jim said reaching into the fridge for two beers, "someone is turning 30 in a month." 

 Ben snatched the beer, "Please don't remind me." They went to the small living room where Jim had been keeping the Xbox warm. Ben sighed and flopped down on the couch.  "So, how are you?"

Jim took a big swig of beer. "I'm doing all right."

And the truth was, he was all right.

After the Stamford branch had closed, Jim had decided to stay in Connecticut.  He'd gotten a sales job with a kitchen supplier and they had paid for him to go to night school and get his MBA.  Now he was in charge of the entire staff of the Fairfield office.  It wasn't a terrible job –  repetitive, boring at times. But the money was good, and he was proud that he was able to make a career for himself.

"Mom came by last weekend and she said she hasn't seen you since Easter." Ben mentioned in the middle of their Halo game.

"Yeah, I know I should go see her. It's just Scranton..."

Ben sighed knowingly.  He remembered all too well Jim's accidental meeting with Pam at the Price Chopper on Easter Sunday.  He came home sulky and mom opened her mouth about how pretty that new baby of hers was.  Then, Jim got drunk. 

Ben changed the subject, "Are you seeing anyone?"

Jim couldn't help but smile, "Um, yeah.  Yeah, there’s a girl."

He met her at the grocery store about a month before.  He was walking toward the store when he saw a little blond boy of about three running from the entrance toward the parking lot as fast as his tiny legs could carry him.Jim scooped him up before he could reach the curb.

A frantic woman appeared in the doorway of the store, her matching blonde hair and terrified expression gave her away as the mother of the future track star in Jim’s arms. 

 He came toward her and he’d expected her to look relieved but her face was still frozen in terror. Jim tried to smile his warmest smile, “Does this belong to you?” he joked.

She finally took a breath, “Thank you, so much.”  She reached for the boy and he climbed into her arms.

Her voice was so small; she was thin, tired looking.  Jim had a sudden urge to make her smile.

He turned the Halpert charm toward the squirming child in her arms, “Hey, what’s your name?” The boy stuck his fingers in his mouth and mumbled something before quickly tucking his head into his mother’s neck.

“His name is James.” She smiled, “and even though he’s fast, he’s very shy.”

“You know James, that’s my name too.  But everyone calls me Jim.”  Little James smiled and Jim turned his attention to his mother, “And what’s your name?”

“My mother named me Penelope, but everyone calls me Penny.”

“Well, it was lovely to meet you Penny.  James, don’t run away from your mommy anymore, because there probably won’t always be a nice guy like me to save you.”  He flashed one more smile at Penny before turning to enter the store.

 He walked slowly, hoping she would say something.  He’d already been a cheese ball and he didn’t want to have to ask her out and be rejected.  He tried not to act to excited when she’d called his name.

“Jim, do you think I could get your number?”  She was blushing like crazy.  It was completely adorable.

“Why, do you need a babysitter?” he joked.  Which he immediately regretted, the last thing he wanted was for her to think he wasn't interested...or that he was a creepy old man.

She stared down at the pavement and practically whispered, “I will if you go out with me this weekend.”

 It was like Penny and Jim needed each other.  James’ father was awful to her.  Jim didn't really know the details and he didn't expect her to share them anytime soon. All he knew is that it was bad, and there was a good reason he wasn't around anymore.  He did know that she was afraid of love, but she was more afraid of being alone.  

Jim hadn’t been happy in years, but when he was with her, spending their evenings watching that same Thomas the Tank Engine DVD with James, he was pretty sure that he could be.

Ben had to go home after one or two games, Jim had won both.  He lived an hour away and his wife expected him home in time to help get the kids to bed.  

Jim hugged his brother, “Thanks a lot for coming, man.”

“Will I be seeing you at Thanksgiving?”

Jim nodded, “Yeah, I’ll be there.”

“You should bring Penny and Jim Jr.," he smiled.

“I’ll think about it.”

“She might have figured out how annoying you are by then,  though.”

“Too late.”

"Where is she by the way?"

"Couldn't get a sitter, I'm gonna see her tomorrow."

“Call mom.”

“Okay Ben, seriously, go!” he laughed.

Ben stopped and looked at his big brother, "But really, I'm glad to see you're doing all right."

Jim was glad too.

End Notes:

I had intended for Jim to be miserable without Pam, but I just couldn't do it.  He just isn't a miserable kind of guy.

Also, the lovely Penny is derived directly from a character on my second favorite tv show.  If you can guess who it is, I will seriously get you some sort of prize. (Hint: the character's name ISN'T Penny)

Comments and criticism are always appreciated

Three by PamPongChamp
Author's Notes:
If Jim ended up with Pam...

"Jim!" 


"Yeah?" he yelled from the top of the stairs.

"What are you doing?" she called.

"Changing.  I'll be right down." 


"Hurry please. We're already on the clock!"  Pam laughed and turned toward the babysitter who was putting Abby in her booster chair.    


"Oh, he can totally take his time," Becca said with a wink. 


Pam set the baby in her highchair and ran up the stairs to hurry Jim along. 

She found him standing in front of the closet, staring intently at his clothing selection.


He turned toward her, holding up two ties, one already loosely tied around his neck. "Which one?" he asked. 

She took the other two ties and tossed them on the bed.  She started to untie the one he was already wearing.  Six years together and he still got shivers when she touched him.

"You wear a tie five days a week.  It's your birthday, this is strictly a no-tie occasion."  She tossed the blue fabric amongst the others and quickly unsnapped the top button.  She kissed him sweetly. "Come on birthday boy, let's go." 

Downstairs, Pam went to grab her purse, explaining to Becca the perils of diaper rash all the while.  Jim went to the kitchen table where Abby was concentrating hard on the coloring book in front of her, a large crayon gripped tightly in her fist.

He kneeled down next to her, "Whatcha drawin' Ab?"

"Dora." She told him while making a large purple streak across the paper.

"Hey, Mommy and I are gonna go have dinner.  Will you listen to Becca please?"

She nodded.

"Will you go to bed when she asks, and be nice to your sister?"

Abby kept nodding.

"Can I have a kiss please?" 

She set down her crayon and stuck her little lips out as far as they could go.

"I love you baby.  We'll see you in the morning."

Her eyes went wide, fear streaking across her round face.  "Kiss me when you come home?" 

"You got it." He stood, "Be good, please." 

He leaned over the back of the highchair and kissed the top of the baby's tiny head, "Love you, monkey."

Emma looked from side to side, her chubby fingers covered in mashed Cheerios.  She looked bewildered, trying to figure out where his voice was coming from. 
 
Jim went to the front door while Pam scampered over to kiss the babies, and then they were off on their first night alone together in months.

---

The restaurant was perfect -- soft light and music.  Pam of course, looked beautiful.  The waiter came by and poured them both champagne. 
 
After that, Pam presented him with a folded piece of construction paper.  On the front she had drawn a picture of Jim's face with "Happy Birthday Daddy!" written across the top.  He could tell from the giant scribbles across it that Pam had let Abby color it.
 
Pam pointed to a large purple scribble in the corner, "She wanted you to know that this is Dora."
 
Jim shook his head, "They should call her Dora the conquistador...encroaching in on my birthday card." 
 
She laughed and leaned across the table for a kiss. "I love you."
 
"I love you too."
 
----
 
Dinner was amazing.  Jim couldn't remember the last meal he had that didn't have a cartoon character printed on the box.  He looked up to see Pam staring at her wine glass, her finger tracing a circle around the edge.
 
He put down his fork. "Is something wrong?"
 
"No! No, it's just...is it weird that I miss my noisy house?"
 
Jim nodded, "It is really quiet in here." He reached across the table for her hand. "Do you want to skip the movie and go home to our babies?"
 
Pam sighed, "It's your birthday.  We were supposed to have a night for just us.  I can't ask you to do that."
 
"Seriously, there is no better way I can think to spend my birthday."
 
Later that night when Jim was lying in bed, Abby and Emma tucked in between him and Pam, he realized that he could never imagine a more perfect life for himself.

 

End Notes:

So, yeah.  There it is.  Almost a year after I started it. :-/

Thanks a million to TooLateKev and WildBerryJam for being great betas and to everyone who read and reviewed. 

AND if you didn't figure it out, "Penny" from the last chapter was based off of Rita from "Dexter" and Petty is getting herself written into my story, "Open Waters" for figuring it out.  Okay, that's enough from me.

Thanks everyone!! :)

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2057