The Shaping of Andy Bernard by Too Late Kev
Summary: Whether you love or hate what Andy Bernard chooses to be, you have to wonder if he's always been that way. He has.  This is a multi-chapter backstory on Andy Bernard. All chapters are stand-alone. The 'T' rating is for references to alcohol and minor suggestive adult themes.

Categories: Other, Past, Episode Related Characters: Andy, Karen
Genres: Childhood, Humor, In Stamford, Inner Monologue
Warnings: Moderate sexual content, Other Adult Theme
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 4703 Read: 6265 Published: June 22, 2007 Updated: July 08, 2008
Andy and the Working World by Too Late Kev
Author's Notes:
Andy writes a blog about his career thus far. This stand-alone chapter is set in Stamford Connecticut in May of 2007, shortly before Jim Halpert comes on the scene.

The Working World, May, 2007

by Andy Bernard, blogmaster extraordinaire!

 

I guess I ought to start this "blog" thing with an introduction of where I am in my life now. And since I am currently single (working on it!), that pretty much means where I am in my career, so I'll start at the very beginning of that.

 

Well, I graduated from Cornell after only four years, May of 1995, and then it was time to get a job. So as soon as Mom and Dad threatened to kick me out of the house, I started getting a resumé together. It takes a while to create the perfect resumé, though - it needs a lot of work to make it sparkle. By the time we had to close up the pool for the winter, I had all the separate parts figured out, and I was ready to have Dad's secretary type it. I'm proud to say it only took a few months of back and forth with her to polish it up. By January, it was all set. Of course, I played up the Cornell angle. Who wouldn't?

 

Education was a no-brainer: "Graduated from Cornell University, the prestigious Ivy League University in Ithaca, New York, home of Cornell University." Dad thought I should stop after "Graduated from Cornell University," but I felt the rest of it really added something. Dad's secretary told me I was right, and she was the one typing it, so we won, and Dad lost. It was funny, because before that, I always thought Dad's secretary didn't like me, but she was sure in my corner during that little scuffle. Score! It really helps to be in tight with the ladies. Even the old ones - you never know when they can come in handy.

 

For hobbies, I only put the most important things: "Sang Tenor in the a cappella group ‘Here Comes Treble' at Cornell University, Ithaca New York, home of Cornell University; sang Tenor in the Cornell Alumni Federation a cappella group ‘There Goes Treble' associated with Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, home of Cornell University." Again, Dad wanted to cut out the most important things, but his secretary did it just the way I wanted it; she didn't even tell Dad. I totally had her in my pocket!

 

What was that secretary's name? Susan, or Michelle, or...well, it doesn't even matter anyway: I always called her Little Tapioca, because she had tapioca pudding one of the times I went to visit Dad to borrow money for booze. (He thought it was for books. Not likely! You can't impress college girls with books. Even with booze, it was pretty tough.)

 

Anyway, blog bros, Little Tapioca was a big help on that resumé, I can tell you. I should probably thank her some time. I wonder if she ever found a job after that big layoff. Oh, well.

 

So, that's it! With a resumé like that, you can imagine I got a job in no time. By August, I was working for my Dad's old college buddy and sailing crony, Roger. Roger and Dad were really close: they played poker every week, and Dad helped Roger with a loan so his boat wasn't taken away. Roger the Dodger, I called him. Well, that was later. To begin with, I called him Mr. Sullivan, and he seemed like a pretty cool guy who "got" me. It turned out, though, that he was sort of a douche. But that whole experience was a lesson in learning when to say sayonara. So that's what I did, and I cleverly managed to parlay-vous-Français that two-year work experience into the next two-year work experience, and then the next.

 

And you know, I was always learning, with every job. I was tenacious, using my superior brain power to stay at each job longer than the prior job. Now I'm like a barnacle that can't be scraped off! Case in point, my current tenure at Dunder Mifflin, Stamford is three years and five months, so...case made.

 

That's right, Dunder Mifflin, Stamford. Where the men are men and the women are into me. Do you like that? I made that up. I mean, the phrase I made up, but it's a great way to say the truth, isn't it?

 

So I'm still learning, and improving, all the time. I'm not sure how much more I can improve; I can only give it the old Cornell try. But at this point, I've accumulated so much knowledge about the working world that I realized I had to make a list. Lists have gotten me where I am today. So, here it is, webfriends.

 

Andrew Bernard's Working List

 






 

That's the list. Maybe I'll publish it on paper someday, so other people can benefit from it besides just you blogfans. Make sure if you quote from it, you give credit where credit is due: Andrew Bernard, Class of 1996, Cornell University, the prestigious Ivy League University in Ithaca, New York, home of Cornell University. (Go, Big Red!)

End Notes:

 

Thanks to Swedge and Azlin for the beta, and to Swedge for the many discussions of Andy that helped give me ideas for the second and third chapters.

I'm marking this one complete for now. I may add more stand-alone chapters at another time earlier in Andy's life, but for now, this is done, and it was always meant to end here, before we "met" Andy.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2111