Opportunity Knocking by receptionist
Summary:

While experiencing writer's block for "Grow a Pair," I thought, "what about the other moments when Pam could have "made things right" so to speak?  There were plenty of times in Season 2, but for the sake of my ADD, I will limit myself to Season 3 so I won't get bored and never finish. 

Basically, each chapter (or series of chapters, when stated) is a brief "what if" of episodes in S3 when Pam could've been bolder and made things right with Jim, or when Jim could've made one different choice, and kept things "open" with Pam.


Categories: Jim and Pam, Episode Related Characters: Ensemble
Genres: Angst, Fluff, Humor, In Stamford, Workdays
Warnings: Adult language
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 9297 Read: 25859 Published: July 15, 2007 Updated: August 04, 2007
Story Notes:

Startng in Season 3 at "The Initiation", we see what would've happened if Pam would've just spoken up!

Warning:  Not all of these will end up with happy, in love Jim and Pam... I will leave some hanging!  I know, I'm mean...

 

I don't own any of this.

1. The Initiation by receptionist

2. Diwali by receptionist

3. Branch Closing/The Merger by receptionist

4. A Benihana Christmas by receptionist

5. Back From Vacation: Part One by receptionist

6. Back From Vacation: Part Two/Traveling Salesmen by receptionist

7. BFV: Part Three/The Return by receptionist

8. Ben Franklin by receptionist

9. Phyllis' Wedding by receptionist

The Initiation by receptionist
Author's Notes:

Spoilers for "Initiation".

"Dunder Mifflin," she answered.  It was after five.  She had a long day tracking Michael's every action (all five of them), and she didn't even bother saying, "This is Pam."

"Uh, hey," he replied. 

Her heart stopped.  "Oh my god," she breathed.

"Hi," he said in return.

"Hi."  God, was it really him?

"Sorry," he said.  "I forgot Kevin's extension.  It's a... fantasy football thing."

"Oh," was all she could say.

"And I was just going to go through the system cause I didn't think you'd be there. Why, why are you still there?"

His voice... I can't believe it's his voice... "I had to work late.  Jan's making me keep a log of everything Michael does all day," she explained.

"Wow.  Do you think you could send me a copy of that?"

"Yeah, totally," she promised.  "So..."

"So..."

"Do you..."

"Oh, I'm sorry.  Go ahead," he isisted.

"Uh, no, I um," she stuttered. "Everything's pretty much the same here."

"Oh good," he said.

"A little different," without you...  "What time is it there?"

"What time is it here?" he echoed.  "Um, we're in the same time zone."

"Oh yeah," she breathed.  "Right."

"How far away did you think we were?" he asked.

"I don't know," she admitted.  "It felt far."   There was a slight pause.  "I really miss you, Jim.  It's not the same without you."  Oh, god, did I really just say that?  What is wrong with you, Pam?

A longer pause.

"I miss you too, Beesly."

"Why did you leave?" she wondered.  "You never seemed all that eager to move up in the company, you know?  Not that.... not that you aren't... you know, wanting to succeed, but... God, I don't know what I'm saying."

"No, I... I know.  I guess... it just... hurt."

Pam closed her eyes, refusing tears to form.  "I'm so sorry," she whispered.  "Come back--please.  I'll make it right."

"Pam, I... I can't just ask for another transfer," he said.  "Jan did a lot to get me this transfer as quickly as she did."

"I know."  There was no avoiding the tears now.  "God, Jim, if I could just...  I mean, the wedding was only a few weeks away!  I had finally... I was almost there.  And then... Jim, it wasn't easy."

"I know," he replied.  "I'm sorry.  I guess... my timing was bad."

"Well," she sighed.  "It's not like... I mean, it wasn't a complete surprise."

"It wasn't?"  Jim sounded genuinely surprised.

"No," she answered.  "I'm not blind, Jim.  You had told me so many times before... I just refused to listen.  It was so obvious!  Like the day I called jinx on you.  Or on the booze cruise.  Jim, I've known for a while, I just... wasn't willing to face it.  I'm so sorry!  And you didn't misinterpret."

"I didn't?"

"No.  You didn't.  I care for you a lot, Jim.  I have for a long time.  I just wouldn't let myself admit it because... well, because I was engaged," she chuckled.  "But I do want... I want to be more than friends."

Another long pause.  And then a deep sigh.  Pam nearly choked with the weight of her tears on her chest.

"Jim?  Please say something--anything!"

"What are you doing tomorrow?"

"What?  Tomorrow?"

"Yeah.  Tomorrow.  Like... are you free for dinner?"

Pam smiled.  Just like that?  No, she knew it would still take some time.  They both had a lot of baggage, and they would have a lot to work through.  But dinner was a nice start.  "But... you're in Stamford," she said. 

"It's only a couple of hours--three with traffic," he said.  "So what do you say?"

"Um, yeah--of course!"

"Good.  I'll pick you up at seven.  Are you still at the same place?"

"Uh, no," she said.  "Roy stayed in the apartment.  I'm at a new place.  I'll email you the directions.  And seven is fine."

"Good.  It's a date, then."  A shorter pause.  "Hey I have a question," he stated.  "How fast does the average person type?"

End Notes:
COMMENTS!  should I write more or should I stop here?
Diwali by receptionist
Author's Notes:

Reminder: These chapters are their own entities.  They are NOT the same story!  Assume that all episodes before this one were the same as on the show.

Spoilers for Diwali. (what if Jim decided not to get drunk?)

Jim was actually a little surprised that Andy had brought the drink.  While he wasn't completely opposed to wasting time on the job, tonight he felt it necessary to simply get the reports over with and go home.  He'd had a long week.  He was tired.  He wanted to go home.

When Andy offered him a drink, Jim shrugged and shook his head.  "Honestly, I just wanna get out of here,"  Jim said.  "Nothing against you, Andy--I just... I'd rather not."

"Party pooper," Andy mumbled.  "Karen?  You in?"

"Yup," Karen said.  Andy poured her drink and walked back to his desk.

Later in the evening, Jim was almost done when his phone vibrated on his desk.  He had a text.  Jim picked up the phone and opened the message.  It was from Pam.  Jim smiled.  Ever since his talk with her a week ago, he had wanted to hear from her again.  It had ended so awkwardly--so abruptly!  He could have talked with her for hours.

OMG!  Michael just proposed to Carol!

Jim furrowed his brows in surprise.   They're still together? he replied.

Maybe not for long. She didn't give an answer.

Jim finished his reports in five minutes and quickly packed up his things.  He wanted to hear her voice, and this gave him the perfect opportunity.  He said good bye to Andy and Karen and headed outside.  He knew he couldn't talk on his phone while he rode his bike, so he simply held the central part of the handlebar and walked along side it as he used his other hand to dial and hold the phone to his ear.

"Hello?" Pam answered.  Jim could hear loud music in the background.

"Hey, Beesly," he replied.  "So what is going on there?  Michael proposed to Carol?"

"Yeah, crazy, huh?" she answered.  The music was getting quieter, and Jim assumed she was going outside to hear him better.  "She didn't give an answer--she just asked if they could talk about it."

"Wow.  So much excitement there without me," Jim said somewhat wistfully.

"Yeah," Pam agreed.  "It sucked, 'cause when it happened, it was so sad, but like... in a funny way.  But you weren't here."

"Yeah," Jim agreed.  It did suck.  He let out a sigh.  "I really wish I were there."

"Yeah," she said.  "Me too."

Neither one said a word for some time.  

"You should come visit sometime," Pam suggested.  "It'd be... really nice to see you."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah, totally."

Jim heard someone talking to Pam in the background, and she was momentarily distracted.

"You okay?" she asked of the person who was there.   "Um, it's Jim," she told them.  Suddenly Jim could hear the phone being wrestled away from Pam.

"Jim!" Michael said loudly.  "Jim!  Man, I could really use you here tonight!  I know you know about heartache and being turned down--I need some guy-support here, you know?  Jim?"

"Michael?" Jim asked tentatively.  "Are you drunk?"

"What?  No!  Just... heartbroken.  I asked Carol to marry me, and she said no.  I guess you and Pam are the people to talk to, huh?  I mean, Pam is the victim of a broken engagement... and you were the victim of... well, of Pam, I guess.  I mean, you were in love with her while she was engaged.  Oh!  But hey!  You're both single now!  Hey, Jim, you should come back.  At least you can get the girl in the end--not like me.  Maybe... maybe Jan's the girl for me.  I mean, technically, I never called it off with Jan.  Maybe...  um, yeah.  Maybe she'll still date me."

"Michael," Jim said slowly.  "I'm in Stamford," he reminded him.  "It wouldn't work between Pam and I.  Besides... it's not..."  Jim sighed.  "Pam doesn't..."

"Pam, you don't love Jim?" Michael said slightly away from the phone.  Jim couldn't hear what she said in reply, but he was regretting divulging that information to Michael.  "Of course it's my business!  Haven't I always said that this office is like a family?  And I'm the dad?  Well you two are like my kids--well, you can't literally be my kids, because then that would be incest if you did get together, but--you get my point.  It's my business because--"  Jim couldn't hear Michael, but he heard the phone being taken away from him.

"What did you say to him?" Pam demanded.  Jim was surprised at how intense she sounded.

"I just said... that it wasn't like that between us, that's all."

Pam sighed.  "Well..."

"Well?"

"Listen, I... I'll call you later.  Michael needs a ride."

"Oh, alright," Jim said.  "I'll... talk to you later, then."

 

***

 

Jim had been home for a little while when Pam called.  "Hey," he answered.

"Hey," Pam replied.  "I just... I wanted to clear something up."

"Okay," Jim said slowly.

"I wanted to say... I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"For that night we had the casino thing.  And for not calling you when I called off the wedding."

"Um, ok, I'm confused.  Why are you sorry for the night of the casino thing?  And why do you feel you should have called me when you broke it off with Roy?"

Pam sighed.  "The casino thing--I wasn't completely honest."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that... I've realized--since you've been gone--that I care about you a lot more than I thought I did."

Jim had no response.

"And... I mean, there were a lot of reasons to call off the wedding, but... a lot of them--most of them, actually--kinda, pointed back to you, in a way.  It's like... I saw what Roy had given me over the years, and I saw what you had given me, and what you were... offering.  I was still engaged, so that night at the casino thing, I couldn't have like, just dropped Roy then and there--there were things to deal with, you know?  But I should have at least been honest and said that it wasn't just all in your head--there is... an attraction there."

"I guess I shouldn't have left so quick," he finally said.  "I still mean it, though, Pam.  I'm still in love with you."

There was a short silence. 

"Can we just start over?"

"Start over how?"

"Hi, I'm Pam.  I'm single.  I like art, sudoku, and pulling pranks of co-workers."

"Well, what a coincidence!" Jim said in mock-surprise.  "I'm Jim.  I'm also single.  I like basketball, and I have a long history of pranking my co-workers."

"Well, it seems we have some things in common," Pam said.  "Maybe we should get to know each other a little bit better."

"I agree.  How about tomorrow night I take you to dinner and a movie?"

"Sounds great," she told him.  "I'd love to."

"Great.  I guess I'll... see you then," he said, a little loathe to hang up, but knowing that there would be plenty of time to talk to her--in person--tomorrow.

"Ok.  Hey Jim?"

"Yeah?"

"Maybe bring your iPod," she suggested.  "Then there'd be dinner, a show, and dancing."

"It was swaying, Beesly," he corrected.

"No, it was dancing." 

End Notes:
COMMENTS!
Branch Closing/The Merger by receptionist
Author's Notes:

Reminder: These chapters are seperate unless otherwise noted.  Assume that previous episodes have occured as they did in the show.

...and no, I don't own any of this.

Jim considered his options.  If he went back to Scranton, he would be in contact with Pam again.  It might be painful, but... it was also something that he knew needed to be dealt with.  He had to be professional about this.  He couldn't just give up on an opportunity like being #2 in Scranton just because he was still pining over the receptionist.  He had to make a choice.

"What're you gonna do?" Karen asked, breaking him of his daze.

"Huh?  Oh, um, I don't know.  I mean, it's a guaranteed job, right?  And... I already know the people there, so it's kinda..."  He shrugged.  "I know how to deal with them," he chuckled, though he wasn't sure he knew how to deal with one person in particular.  Her blow had hit a bit harder than Michael or Dwight ever could.  There was serious internal damage in that relationship, and it would take time to heal.  But he still had to face it.  "I think I might take it."

"I'm still undecided," Karen told him, shaking her head.  "I mean, like you said, it's a guaranteed job, but... I have roots here, you know?  I won't know anyone there--except the people who transfer, of course."

Jim shrugged.  "Well, it's not so bad, but... it'll take some getting used to."

Karen nodded.  "Yeah.  I think I'll check and see if anything's available in New York, and if not, I'll just go to Scranton.  I've been here too long to just leave and try to start over somewhere else, you know?"

"Yeah," Jim replied, nodding absently.  He let out a sigh, realizing all that he would do in preparation for the move.  He had physical responsibilities, such as packing, and he had legal responsibilities, like telling his landlord that he was leaving.  But he also had emotional responsibilities: preparing his heart to weather hurricane Pam again.  Talking to her on the phone a few weeks back wasn't bad--it almost seemed like old times.  But seeing her day to day and knowing that she didn't want him--that she saw nothing between them--that was painful.  He couldn't relive that night of the casino event over and over.  He had to face his fears.

 

***

 

Pam was excited when she arrived at work.  She had just finished shopping for the party that Michael had planned, and despite all of the insanity that would surely ensue at a Scott Party, Pam was optimistic about the day.

She met a few of the new people and greeted them warmly.  One of them, a woman named Karen, seemed very nice.  She even complimented her sweater.  Pam thought she seemed nice, but she was also very professional-looking.   She hoped that Karen would make a nice addition to the office, and maybe help to bring a little professionalism to it--but not too much.  With Jim coming back, Pam was sure that the pranks would resume.

It wasn't long before Jim entered with one of the new people.  Michael went up and greeted him, and Pam fixed her hair quickly, waiting for Michael to go away.  While Michael was preoccupied with showing Martin to his desk, Pam rushed towards Jim.

"Hi, I'm Jim.  I'm new here," he said. 

Pam threw her arms around him and hugged him tightly.  It was so comforting to breathe in his scent again.  It was him.  He was really here.  "Oh my god!  It's really you!" she exclaimed.

"Yeah, I was just doing a little joke there about how we'd never met," Jim said.  Yeah, cover everything up with a joke.  Typical Halpert.  Nice going, jackass.

"Yeah, I know.  I don't care," she replied.

"Awesome.  Good to be back.  The place looks really good."

"It's really good to see you!" Pam enthused. 

"You too."

 

***

 

Later in the day, Pam found Jim in the break room getting a grape soda.

"Hey," she said, putting her coins into the machine and pressing the Coke button.

"Hey, you."  He popped the top on his soda and looked at Pam.

"So when do I get to hear everything? Are you still getting unpacked or... you want to grab a coffee or something after work?"

Jim bit his lip.  "You know what?  I'm still getting unpacked, so--"

"Oh, right.  Um, well, you know, maybe another time?"

"No, I mean, well, maybe--"

"Oh...kay," Michael said, coming into the break room.  "Didn't mean to interrupt anything."

"Oh, you're not interrupting," Jim assured him.

"Alright," Michael said, taking his leave.

"Um, so..." Pam began.

"You know what?" Jim said.  "Uh, why don't you just come over and I'll order a pizza, and... you can watch me unpack and we can... catch up?"

Pam beamed.  "Yeah," she said.  "That sounds great.  Um, six?  Seven?"

"Six-thirty," Jim said with a grin.  Pam chuckled and nodded.  "Great, well, I gotta... make a call, so... I'll see you tonight."

"Yeah, see you tonight."

 

***

 

Jim had walked Pam out to her car.  He watched her get in as he walked back towards his own car.  At that time, his cell phone rang.  "Hey, Filipelli," he answered.

"Hey, Halpert.  Listen, I could really use a drink tonight.  Wanna come?  Andy and Martin and going, too."

"Um," Jim began.  "Not tonight.  I've... got plans.  You know, catching up with some old Scranton friends... unpacking..."

"Oh."  Karen sounded a little disappointed.  Jim had sensed that she maybe liked him a little, but he had tried his hardest not to encourage it.  Karen was nice, but... until he got things settled with Pam, until everything was understood, he wasn't willing to invest anything into another woman.  Besides, he still was not over Pam.  As nice as Karen was, she wasn't Pam.  And as much fun as it may seem to start dating again, he knew that whoever he dated would just be a distraction--someone to keep his mind off of Pam--like Katy had been.  He didn't want that anymore.  He only wanted Pam.

"Maybe another time, huh?" Jim suggested, though he knew he would probably find an excuse for the next time she asked.

"Uh, yeah.  Sure.  Well, see you tomorrow."

"Yeah, see you tomorrow."  Jim hung up the phone and tossed it onto his passenger seat.  Smiling to himself, he drove towards his new apartment, eager to get ready for his dinner guest.

 

 

End Notes:
COMMENTS!!!
A Benihana Christmas by receptionist
Author's Notes:

REMINDER: Each chapter is its own entity unless otherwise noted.  Assume prior episodes have transpired as normal.

diclaimer: it belongs to nbc.

Pam had watched all day while Karen would go up to Jim and rub his back, fix his hair, or whisper something in his ear.  She was getting pretty tired of it, too.  All this affection between them made her silence over the summer utterly regrettable.  It was painful, really. 

And to top it all off, Jim had declined her Christmas present to him.  That had hurt the most.  In a way, it was like he was saying that the time they had before he moved to Stamford was childish and pointless, and that it was important as actually getting work done. He was telling her that she wasn't as important to him anymore.

Even after she knew about him and Karen, she thought that maybe there was still a chance.  He can't have changed so much already, could he?  And he couldn't have gotten over her so easily, right?  He did say "I'm in love with you."  Not "I like you," or "I'm attracted to you," or even, "You know that crush I used to have on you?  I sitll have it."  No, it was "I'm in love with you."

Pam wasn't sure what to think or to feel.  She wondered how true his feelings were that night if only a few months later, he's completely moved on and doesn't even want to be her friend any more.  She knew this was an exaggeration--she knew that he had never said those words.  But his actions were telling her that he didn't want to do the things they used to do for fun--that he didn't want to spend time with her. 

And if he has a girlfriend?  So what?  Pam had a fiance before and that never stopped her from pulling pranks, going to the store to pick up a present for Kevin (oh yeah... and Michael), or even sharing a coke and a bag of Sun Chips! 

After the Party Planning Committee meeting, Pam was fuming.  She had barely paid attention, because her mind was too busy reeling from all the anger she felt against Jim and Karen.  She knew that Karen was really an innocent bystander, but she couldn't help but feel a little twinge of jealousy and anger towards the woman who had so easily helped Jim to forget about her.

Pam saw Jim at his desk, working on some report.  Ignoring the fact that Karen was right beside her, Pam approached Jim's desk.  "Hey," she said firmly.  He barely glanced up.  "We need to talk."

Jim looked sideways slightly before letting out a sigh and following Pam towards the stairwell.  "What's up?" he asked when they were alone.

"Jim, this isn't fair," she said.

"What's not fair?"

Pam let out a heavy breath.  "You told me you were in love with me while I was still engaged.  And now, you have a new girlfriend and suddenly you can't even have fun with me like we used to?"

Jim tilted his head, not quite seeing the correlation.

Sensing his confusion, Pam continued.  "It was obviously going to take time for me to make a decision about Roy.  And when I did make that decision... you were gone.  You left before I even had a chance to think and consider the possiblitiy of... us.  And now you come back with this new girlfriend, pretending like what happened in May meant nothing!  You said you were in love with me, Jim.  In love!  Are you really over me so quickly?"  Pam felt tears beginning to sting the backs of her eyelids.  She blinked hard, hoping that no tears would escape.

Jim looked down at the floor with his arms crossed over his chest.

"I just needed some time," she nearly whispered.  "But I guess now it's too late.  And I guess... I just needed you to know... how I feel."

"How do you feel?" he asked in a cracked voice as he looked up at her with a pained expression.

Pam looked down at the ground, wondering how to respond.  She smiled to herself, deciding that the approach Jim himself had used would be best.  There would be no room for a poor interpretation. 

Pam took a step forward and brought her hands to his face, pulling him down gently as she went up on her tip-toes, bringing her lips to meet his.  The kiss began somewhat timidly, but after a moment it grew in its intensity.  Before long, Pam's hands were running through Jim's hair and his arms were around her waist, pulling her closer.

After some time, they pulled back, in need of air.  Jim took a hold of Pam's hands and ran his thumbs along the backs of her hands.  "Pam I never stopped loving you.  I only started dating Karen because... I thought... I mean, you said you were going to marry Roy, and then..."  He paused to shrug.  "I figured that when you didn't call about cancelling the wedding, and you were so... friendly... not..."  He shook his head, unable to form the words.  "I thought that you didn't want me.  So I started to date Karen to distract myself from you."

"Oh, Jim..."

"I'm sorry," he whispered.  "I should've given you more time."

"And I'm sorry I didn't call.  You're my best friend, Jim, and no matter what, I should've called you.  I'm sorry."

Jim shook his head, looking down at Pam's hands, still in his.  He took one to his lips and planted a firm kiss on her palm.  "Tonight after work," he said, taking the other hand and kissing it in the palm.  "I'm going to break up with Karen.  I don't want to do it at work."

Pam nodded in understanding.

"After that," he said.  He let go of one of her hands to lift her chin so that their eyes met.  "I'm all yours."

Pam smiled and couldn't help herself--she lifted her face once more and kissed him softly.  "Jim," she said.

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

Jim touched his forehead to hers.  "You have no idea how long I've wanted to hear you say that."

Pam smiled.  "Me too."

End Notes:

COMMENTS!!!

mini-commercial: COMING SOON: Mifflin Rouge!

Back From Vacation: Part One by receptionist
Author's Notes:

Spoilers for BFV.  What if Pam had spoken up to the wrong person...?

Reminder: these chapters are their own stories... this one is two parts, but imagin the previous episodes have occured as normal.

warning: we see a different side of Dwight...

NBC owns the office--I do not.

"Who did this to you?"  Dwight asked.  "Where is he?"

Pam continued to cry.  "What?" she asked.  "No, it's not... it's nothing."  How could Dwight read her so easily?  How did he know it was a man who had hurt her?  She decided it must be another one of Dwight's assumptions about women.  Nothing more.

"It's hot in here," he said.

"Yeah," she replied absently.  What was she thinking?  She should have just stayed out of it.  She should have pleaded the fifth.  Of course she couldn't get involved with Jim and Karen without getting herself emotionally involved.  Even though neither one knew, she was still greatly affected.

"Yeah," he repeated.  Dwight took out a handkerchief from his pocket and handed it to her.

"Thanks," she said, wiping her eyes with the hankie.  "You don't need to stay here."

"I know," he told her, putting an arm around her. 

What the hell is he doing?  Is he making a pass at me or is he actually being nice?  It's almost like that day he got the concussion... and Jim took him and Michael to the hospital and--can't you think of anything other than Jim?!?  Just get over him!  It's obvious he's over you! 

"So you're PMSing pretty bad, huh?" Dwight asked, breaking her of her thoughts.

"No, Dwight!" she exclaimed, tired of his assumptions and stereotypes.  "You want ot know what's wrong?  Huh?"

"Well, if you want to--"

"I helped them!"  Pam covered her eyes with her hands, frustrated a tthe whole situation.  "I thought I could handle it--I thought, maybe this will give me closure, you know?  Maybe if I became their friend--both of them--I would be ok with it.  I thought, maybe if I got to know her, I would be ok with them.  But I'm NOT!  I'm still..."  Pam shook her head.  "God, I'm such a fool!  I'm still..."

"In love with him?" Dwight asked.

Pam looked at him, taken aback at the comment.

"You are talking about Jim and Karen, aren't you?"

Pam said nothing in response, but stared at Dwight, amazed at his alertness of the situation.

"I try not to pay attention to Jim when possible, but Schrutes are observationalists by nature.  We observe things.  That also means we notice things.  And Pam, I've noticed your attraction to him.  Just as I observe his attraction to you constantly.  It's pretty hard to miss.  Even a chimpanzee could see it."

Pam nodded.  "Well, that was last year, and things have changed, so--"

Dwight furrowed his brows.  "Last year?"  Dwight shook his head and laughed.  "Oh, Pamela--I forget how lacking everyone else's powers of observation are.  You haven't noticed that he is still attracted to you?"

"What?  No!  He's dating Karen, and--"

"And what?  You were engaged to Roy when you first started liking Jim."  All color drained from Pam's face as she looked at Dwight, her mouth slightly agape.  "Don't act so surprised.  I told you that we Schrutes have very acute observational abilities."

"Dwight, I--I was engaged!"

"But you did call of the wedding, did you not?"

"I did," she answered cautiously.

"And you do love Jim, do you not?"

Pam waited a moment before nodding, looking down at her hands in her lap.

"Hence, you called off the wedding for Jim."

Pam wrinkled her brows.  "There were a lot of reasons to break up with Roy," she told him.  "Jim wasn't..."

"You can't tell me Jim wasn't at least one of those reasons.  That would be a lie.  And I hate liars."

Pam sighed.  "No, you're right."  Dwight, of all people, is right about me and Jim...

Dwight sighed and stood up.  "Well, Pam, Michael needs me.  I hope my handkerchief and solace were useful to you."

"Yeah," Pam said, still staring at her hands. 

Dwight began to walk away.

"Hey, Dwight?"

He turned to face her.

"Thanks."

Dwight nodded and walked away, his head held high.

 

End Notes:
COMMENTS!!!
Back From Vacation: Part Two/Traveling Salesmen by receptionist
Author's Notes:

The ramifications of Dwight and Pam's little talk.  Semi-spoilers for Traveling Salesmen.  I went a little crazy with this one.  Call it unrealistic, but... it's fanfic, so get over it.  Just enjoy the hilarity.

I didn't create any of this... except Yakusho's bar...

 

Jim sighed, not looking forward to the sales call with Dwight.  He started the engine, and Dwight requested a song change.  Jim rolled his eyes and complied.  Dwight was rambling on about Battlestar Gallactica, and Jim was pretty much ignoring him.

However, walking out after making that sale, Jim was feeling oddly good.  He and Karen hadn't had any late night talks in a few days, and he had just made a sale with a good customer.  He was surprised what a good team he and Dwight actually made.  How could someone who annoyed him to no end possibly be this easy to work with outside of the office?  Sure, he had his quirks, but Dwight really was just a guy--just like him--who was trying to make something of himself.  Maybe Karen was right--maybe he didn't anlways need to pull pranks.  Maybe he should try to act more like an adult.

"Hey, Dwight," Jim said as he pushed the button for his car's alarm.  "Good work today."

Dwight was taken aback.  Never had he heard any such compliment or encouragement from Jim Halpert.  What was he to say in return?  "Why, thank you Jim.  That was very cordial of you to acknowledge my accomplishments."

Jim smiled.  "Yeah, well, you know..."  Jim shrugged.

"Jim, you know what I do after I make a good sale?"

Jim lifted his eyes in thought.  "Buy yourself a new bobblehead?"

"No," Dwight said in a low tone, almost to himself.  "But that is an idea... it would certainly be a good incentive..."  Dwight shook his head, bringing himself back to his original thought.  "No, I go to Yakusho's bar and have a saki to reward myself as well as to remind myself of the disipline of the samurai."

Jim nodded and opened his car door.  Dwight got in behind him.

"Jim," Dwight said in a serious tone.  "Would you like to celebrate with me?"

Jim shrugged.  Going for a drink with Dwight...  It wasn't on his top ten list of exciting things to do, but... he really didn't want to go back to the office.  He avoided the place whenever possible.  "Sure."

Dwight gave Jim extremely acurate directions to Yakusho's.  He parked the car in the small lot and the two salesmen got out.  Dwight walked quickly to the door and Jim followed.  Upon entering, Dwight put his hands together and bowed to the bartender.  "Yakusho," he said reverently.  "I would like two saki, please."

"Made another sale, huh?" the man said, taking two small ceramic cups from the shelf behind him.

"Yes," Dwight concurred, taking a seat at the bar.  "And this is a co-worker of mine who went on the sales call with me.  This is Jim Halpert.  I normally don't trust him, but since he helped me with the sale today, I decided to let him join me."

"Hi," Jim greeted, taking a seat.

Dwight had four sakis, and Jim had only had one.  After the first, he asked for some water and watched as Dwight reminded him more and more of when he had gotten that concussion.  He was actually relaxed, and even a little nice.  He began to slur, and Jim told the bartender to cut him off. 

"Hey, Dwight, how about some coffee?"

"Coffee?" Dwight echoed.  "What for?  I'm not drunk!"

Jim simply nodded his head, wondering what to do with drunk Dwight.  Jim sighed and ordered the coffee.  Dwight almost fell off of his chair.  "Easy, there," Jim said, putting a hand on his back.

"Thanks, Jim," Dwight slurred.  "You know, I may hate you in the office, but outside of work, you're not such a bad guy."

Dwight was definitely drunk.

"You're a good salesman..." he continued.  "You may dress like a moron, but at least you're mostly hygenic.  And you're good with the ladies... I mean, I thought I would be an attractive mate with all the skills I have, but..." Dwight paused to shake his head.  "I only have one girlfriend--you have two."

"I... only have one girlfriend, Dwight."

"Oh, right," Dwight said.  "But you do have two women in love with you, so... that should count for something, right?"

Jim furrowed his brows.  "Ok, you are definitely drunk."

"At least you have options.  Karen is so smart and... and... sophisitacted," Dwight rambled on.  "But Pam is a lot nicer...  And I think she would be better at bearing children..."

Jim chuckled and shook his head.  "Dwight, what one earth are you talking about?"

Dwight looked at Jim with a wrinkled forehead.  "The two women in love with you--Karen and Pam."

"Karen and I are... I mean, we're not... we've only been together for like, two months.  And what are you saying about Pam?  She's not in love with me."

Dwight nodded emphatically.  "That's why she called off her wedding."

"Dwight, where did you get this information?  I think you're making things up."

"Pam told me," Dwight confided.  "At the party... when Michael came back.  She was crying because she had encouraged you and Karen to resolve your argument, and--"

"Wait, Pam confided in YOU?" Jim asked, knowing that now he really was making things up.  Pam would never confide in Dwight.  Jim shook his head and stood.  "C'mon, Dwight--let's get you back to the office where you can sober up.  Are you gonna need a ride home?"

Dwight shook his head.  "I'm fine!" he insisted.

"No you're not," Jim argued.  "Let's go."  Jim took Dwight's arm and put it around his shoulder to half-carry him out the door.  Jim shook his head as he put Dwight in the back seat.  What if Pam did say something to Dwight?  What reason would Dwight have to make something up like that?  Then again, it was Dwight...  But if he had a second chance with Pam...  Jim sighed as he started his car.  He would find out the truth--even if it cost him everything.

End Notes:

One more part to this scenario... :)

COMMENTS

BFV: Part Three/The Return by receptionist
Author's Notes:

Spoilers through The Return.

Jim has an epiphery.  ;-) 

"Encourage him?" Jim asked in surprise.  He couldn't believe that Karen was blaming him for Andy trying to reel him in like a fish.  "I'm the victim, ok?  He's fishing for me.  We've got to do something."

"Look, I've got like fifteen new clients I inherited from Dwight and each file is password protected with a different mythical creature. So, I'm sorry. I can't," she told him.  Jim shook his head.  Pam would still play along... she'd find a way... Stop that, Jim!  Stop comparing Pam to Karen!  They are not the same!  And maybe that's the problem...  Stop.  Dwight was drunk.  He didn't know what he was saying.

Jim looked at Ryan, and then at Pam.  He could stay "neutral" and safe with Karen and ask Ryan to pull the prank with him... But then, part of him was curious...  What if there was some truth to what Dwight said?  In a moment of distress, Pam just might say something without thinking about who she's saying it to... 

Jim walked up to the reception desk.  He took a jellybean and looked at Pam.  She was on the phone.  When she hung up, Jim asked, "Would you like to pull a prank on Andy?"

"Oh, I'm kind of in the middle of -- yes please," she said with excitement.

"Okay, good. Stay right here."  Jim walked back to his desk and made like he was going to grab a pencil.  He knocked over the pencil cup and in the midst of the "confusion" grabbed Andy's cell phone.  Ignoring a comment from Andy, Jim walked back over to Pam.  "Are there any messages?" he asked, handing Pam the phone very sly and discreetly.  She took it and shook her head.

"Nope," she replied.  As Jim walked away, Pam got Andy's number off of the phone and made sure the ringer was at the highest level.  Jim hadn't even explained his plan, but she could read his mind like no one else.  Smiling, she walked to the break room.  Jim walked in the same direction and she passed him the phone.  Pam paused at the water cooler and got some water as Jim went into the kitchen and threw the cell phone in the ceiling. 

As Jim walked out of the kitchen, he saw Pam keeping watch and had to smile to himself.  All pranks aside, the fact that she could read him so easily and know exactly what his plan was without having to be told--that just told him that she was a perfect match for him. Could any other woman be more perfect?

He walked past Karen's desk and glanced at how hard she was working at retrieving those clients from Dwight's computer.  He shook his head.  Work to do or not, she just... didn't get him.  He remembered Pam saying something similar about her and Roy.  They just weren't meant for each other--just like him and Karen.  There was nothing wrong with Karen--except that she wasn't Pam.

Jim took a seat at his desk and smiled, hearing the phone ringing in the ceiling.  He casually swiveled in his chair and looked at reception.  Pam was on the phone, a slight smile on her face.

 

***

 

After Andy's tantrum, Jim sat in the conference room, holding his drink with his elbows on his knees.  Karen entered and sat beside him.  She let out a sigh and galnced at him briefly.

"Do you still have feelings for her?" she asked.

Jim smiled.  "Yes."

Karen stood to walk away, but Jim called her back.  "Karen," he said.  She turned to face him.  "This isn't fair to you.  I think we should break up before it goes too far."

Karen bit her lip.  "You've got to be kidding me."

Jim shook his head.  "No, I'm completely serious.  You're great, but... I just... I have too much... baggage."

Karen crossed her arms angrily.  "You're an asshole."

Jim nodded.  "Absolutely.  I'm sorry."

Karen nodded slowly.  "Yeah, well...  you should be."

Jim didn't understand what the big deal was--they had only been dating for two months!  It wasn't like they had been together for a long time.  They weren't even really intimate...

Jim hung his head and hoped she would walk away and forget him.  Luckily, that's exactly what she did.  

 

***

 

When Jim had not come out of the conference room for a long time, and when Pam had noticed the look on Karen's face, Pam wondered if they had had another argument.  Pam walked in and resolved to be the good friend--the listening ear--the shoulder to cry on.

"Hey," she said as she stepped just inside the door.  "You alright?"

Jim looked up at her and grinned.  He was more than alright.  He had another chance with Pam, and he was taking it.  "Yeah, I'm great."

"Karen didn't look too happy," she observed.

"Um, that's because... I broke up with her."

Pam raised her eyebrows.  "Really?"

"Yup.  It wasn't working."

"You guys seem so... good for each other."

Jim shrugged.  "On the surface, maybe, but... she just doesn't get me like other people do.  Besides, it was getting kinda hard dating her when I'm still in love with someone else."

Pam saw the look in his eyes, and wasn't sure if she should jump up and down, act cool, pretend to be clueless, or to kiss him right then and there.  "That... would be kinda hard," she said, taking a seat nearby.  "I was in a similar situation."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah," she confirmed.  "I was engaged to some guy when I was in love with someone else--someone who really got me." 

Jim beamed, overwhelmed by the look in her eyes, and amazed that Dwight was actually right.  He would have to owe Dwight a big favor.  He had been the one to help Jim to see that he did have another chance with Pam.  He would need to thank him later.  But for now, there was Pam.  She was sitting in front of him, telling him exactly what he had wanted to hear for three years: she loved him.

"So, Jim," Pam said coyly.  "Any big plans now that you're back on the market?"

Jim smiled and leaned back in his chair.  "Just one plan.  You wanna hear it?"

"Absolutely I do." 

End Notes:
COMMENTS!!!  And for the next ones, I'll just skip the ones I've already touched on in this little series... I wasn't planning on doing every episode anyways.  Next chapter: Ben Franklin.
Ben Franklin by receptionist
Author's Notes:

Pam is a little more bold, and Jim is a little more open.  And here's a big change for me--we see a better side of Karen.  Wow.  That one's a stretch for me.  This one's a bit of a stretch, but I had a bit of fun with it.  Just keep reminding yourself... it's fanfic/AU....

Reminder: This chapter is a seperate entity from the other chapters.  Assume previous episodes have occurred as aired.

"Hey," Pam said, seeing Jim walk into the break room.

"Hey," he replied.  He began to put money into the machine and Pam let out a grumble.  "Ugh," he echoed, teasing.

"Everything ok?" Pam asked.  She knew something was wrong.  She knew Jim better than anyone in the office--including Karen--and she knew that something was not right.

"Um, yeah.  Why... do you ask?"

Pam shrugged.  "You just... look tired."

Jim shrugged.  "Oh. Yeah well, I guess there's been a couple late nights. Karen and I have been up talking."

"Talking, huh?" The tease was out of her mouth before she could edit it.  She knew what she had implied with it, and she honestly did not want to bring that up with Jim--let alone get that picture in her head.

"Yeah.  Really," he insisted.  "Talking, and... not a whole lot else."

"And you're sure everything's alright?"  He didn't answer immediately.  "Jim," she said in a lower tone.  "I know you.  Something isn't right.  I don't want you to think that you can't talk to me.  I hope you know that you can.  You can tell me anything," she said in a serious tone, although it reminded her of when she had teased him with those words when she had jinxed him.  She also remembered the look he had given her when she had said it.  She longed for that look now.  She wanted that look more than anything in the world at that moment.

Jim let out a sigh and scratched the back of his head.  "It's just... you know... stuff that, ah, Karen...  She's just worried about some things... from my past."

Pam bit her lip.  "Something about last May?" she asked, suddenly bold.

"Something like that," he mumbled, looking down at his feet.

"So you really wouldn't want to talk about it with me, huh?"

Jim shook his head.  "To be honest, I'd... rather just try and... move on."

Pam looked down, letting out a slow breath.  What he was really saying is that he wanted to forget all about it--that he wanted to leave her and what she had once meant to him in the past.  If he succeeded, she would have no chance with him.

"I'm sorry," he began.  "I just--"

"No," she said, feeling tears creep into her eyes.  "It's fine."  With that, she turned on her heel and rushed out of the room, heading for the bathroom.  Once in the ladies' room, Pam collapsed on the couch and cried until her eyes were red and swollen--until she had no more tears left to bleed.  She was out of chances.  She had missed her opportunity, and there was no going back.  He was gone.

 

***

 

When Pam had dried her eyes and was able to rejoin the office without it being completely obvious that she had been crying (even though her eyes were still red and swollen), she went to her desk and sat down quietly.  She thought she saw Jim glancing up at her as she walked by, but she wasn't sure, since she had kept her head down.

Later, at the party, Pam was not herself.  Or maybe she was more her old self than she had been the last few months.  She was quiet, withdrawn, and did not really participate much in the activities.  She also drank more champagne than she should have, considering that she was still at work.

The party called for additional sodas, which were in the refrigerator.  Pam went into the kitchen to retrieve them, and Karen soon entered after her.

"So I guess you have the Ben Franklin wig and the costume and you figure, how can I put this to practical use?" Karen said, joking about Ben.

Pam smiled weakly, but said nothing.

"Hey um, I wanted to talk to you. I know this is weird or whatever, but Jim told me about you guys," Karen said cautiously.

"Huh?" Pam replied, suddenly nervous.  Had he updated her since that morning?  "What do you mean?"

"Well that you kissed. And we talked it through and it's totally fine, it's not a big deal. It's just a kiss. Wait- you're not still interested in him?"

All color drained from her face.  "Um, well..."

"Pam?" Karen urged.

Pam sighed.  "Look, you guys are good together, and he's... over me, and you guys should just...  Just don't worry about that, alright?"

Karen wrinkled her forehead.  "Pam, I probably shouldn't be saying this, but... he's... not over you."

"Well, he's trying!" Pam laughed bitterly.

"Yeah," Karen replied softly.  Somehow she knew that she was part of that trying--that he was trying to get over Pam by dating her.  It all made sense now.  When he realized that they would be heading back to Scranton, he was suddenly interested in her.  He was using her as a shield.  Part of Karen wanted to sock him in the groin and scream a string of curses at him.  But another part of her--the somewhat sappy, romantic part--felt sorry for them.  She felt like they were just missing each other.

If Karen were honest with herself, she would admit that they were actually meant for each other.  The jokes they shared--the history that they had--the prank they had pulled on Andy.  And really, part of her knew that she would soon tire of Jim's pranks.  She knew she would soon go into her mode of changing the man she was dating.  And if she knew that there was someone out there who would accept him as he was, she would feel guilty.

Karen took in a deep breath and grabbed Pam's hand and dragged her out of the kitchen.

"Where are we going?" Pam asked.

"To settle a debate."  Karen led Pam out of the main office, and out towards the stairwell leading to the warehouse.  A stripper was giving Michael a very awkward lap dance as the ladies entered.

"Woah!" Michael exclaimed, clearly embarassed, as the ladies descended the stairs.  "Hens in the... cock house..."

Darryl, Jim and Stanley shook their heads as Kevin nodded with that famous smile.

"What're you two doing here?" Kevin asked.

Both ladies knew what he was thinking.  "Not happening, Kevin," Karen said, walking straight for Jim.  He stood, curious why Karen and Pam were both there.

"What's up?" Jim asked, looking between the two women.

"We need to talk," Karen told him.  "Let's go upstairs."  The three went up into the stairwell and stopped on the landing.  Karen finally let go of Pam's wrist and put her hands on her hips.  "I'll be honest," she said.  "I'm a little tired of being caught in the middle.  Pam, you're great, and I think you're a good friend.  Jim, you're an awesome boyfriend.  But let's face it: you guys still have feelings for each other.  Jim, you told me yourself you still have feelings for Pam.  Pam, it's obvious you have feelings for Jim.  So Jim, as much as I am enjoying being your girlfriend, I don't think we can really be... anything... until you figure out if you and Pam will work out.  If you do, that's great.  There will be plenty of fish left for me.  If not, well, maybe I'll still be around."

Jim looked utterly confused and amazed, all at once.  He looked at Pam.  She looked just as confused.  "Um, Karen, are you sure--"

"Yes," Karen said firmly.  "Look, I won't be happy if I know that you're both still pining after each other.  I'll still feel like I'm in the middle--like I'm just being the buffer.  I don't want to feel like that."  When Jim and Pam still said nothing, she went on to say, "Now hurry up and accept the break up before I change my mind."

Jim nodded.  He took a step forward and planted a chaste kiss on Karen's cheek.  "Thank you," he said, his voice cracking. 

Karen sighed.  "Yeah, it was nothing," she muttered, looking away.

Pam smiled and gave Karen a big hug.  "I'm so sorry."

"Don't be," Karen said softly, hugging her back.  "I think you had dibs on him anyways."

Pam chuckled and finally released Karen from the embrace.

"I'm gonna... go tease Ben Franklin some more," Karen said, moving towards the exit into the hallway. 

When Karen was gone, Pam and Jim looked at each other blankly.  They weren't sure what to do.  It was such a strange, abrupt situation. 

Jim let out a sigh.  "So... are you free for dinner tonight?"

Pam chuckled.  Jim had missed that sound.  "Yes," she replied, beaming.

"Great," he replied, clasping his hands together.  "Then it's a date."

End Notes:

I couldn't help using that line again... it's just so great!

COMMENTS!!!

Phyllis' Wedding by receptionist
Author's Notes:

Reminder: This chapter is a separate entity from the others.  Assume previous episodes have occurred as aired.

Jim asks the cameraman a question.

"Hypothetically, f I thought Pam was interested... No, it's totally hypothetical."  Jim paused for a moment, realizing that the camera guys saw a lot more than the "cast" did.  After all, that was their job--to see things and to know what's going on.  "Wait, did Pam say something?" he asked.

Chuck shrugged with a smile on his face.

"C'mon man," Jim pried.  "You'd tell me if she had said something to you, right?"

Chuck sighed.  "Well, she hasn't said anything outright, but you know how shy she can be at times."

Jim furrowed his brows.  "You think she's interested?" he asked.  Chuck nodded after a pause.  "Why?"

"Don't you see the way she looks at you?" Chuck asked.  "Don't you hear the pain in her voice everytime she talks with you about your relationship with Karen?  Jeez, man, you must be blind if you haven't realized that she's totally after you!  I mean, the day you come back, she's a single woman and she asks you out for coffee?  Sure, you guys were friends, but didn't you hear the disappointment in her voice when you turned her down?"

"She said we're friends," Jim said.

Chuck sighed.  "Look," he said in a low tone and taking the camera off his shoulder.  He turned the machine off an looked around to make sure no one heard him.  "We really aren't supposed to show you things or talk to you about the stuff we see with other people.  But I'll be honest.  This whole thing between you and Pam is driving me insane.  You're perfect ofr each other, it's obvious you want each other, yet for some reason, you both insist on having some kind of significant other to be the buffer.  You know Karen isn't right for you!  Why are you still with her?"  Jim opened his mouth to answer, but Chuck wouldn't allow it.  "But what I was going to say in the first place is that we have something on tape--a conversation--that really, really indicated to us that Pam was still into you."

Jim frowned with concern.  "Really?"

"Really," Chuck said.  "I mean, damn, Jim--she called off her wedding.  Isn't that a big enough sign for you?"

Jim sighed.  "Well, what should I do?  Just break up with Karen and ask Pam out?"

Chuck nodded.  "Yeah, why not?"

"That's just so..."

"So... honest?"

Jim smirked.  "Yeah."

Jim shook his head as he rubbed the back of his neck.  "I don't know, I just..."

"Karen is great," Chuck said.  "I have nothing against her.  But she isn't for you."

Jim nodded, agreeing completely, but wondering what on earth he was going to do.  "I really don't want to do this.  Not here."

"I'm telling you man, it's now or never.  I've been filming you guys for what, two and half years?  Almost three?  I know you, Jim.  If you don't do this now, it's not gonna happen.  You'll miss your chance, and you'll lose her again.  I'm not stupid, Jim.  I know you still love her.  And you know it too.  It's time to be honest."

Jim closed his eyes and nodded.  He did not want to do this.  He didn't want to make a scene at Phyllis' wedding.  But he also knew Phyllis.  He knew she would be proud that he was being honest and going after Pam, like she was always encouraging him to do.  He knew that she, of all the people in the office, would be completely for him and Pam.

Jim let out a sigh and re-entered the reception hall.  He found Karen and tapped her on the shoulder.  "Hey, uh, can we talk?"

"Sure," she said with a frown.  Something was not right.  She could see it in his eyes.  "So what's up?" she asked when they were out on the balcony.

"I, um, I need to, uh...."

"C'mon, Halpert," she goaded.  "Spit it out already."

"I think we should break up."

Karen felt as if she had just been socked in the gut.  "Excuse me?"

"I just," he began, shaking his head.  "I don't think we're right for each other.  I mean, you are awesome--you're smart, beautiful, funny...  but I just don't think we're... meant to be."

"Like you and Pam?" she asked.

"This isn't about Pam," he said, although they both knew he was lying.

"Yeah, it is," Karen argued.  "Because she's the one that got away, and now you have a second chance.  I get it.  It just... sucks.  This isn't cool, Halpert.  You know you're a jackass, right?"

Jim nodded.  "I know."

"Good.  Remember that.  Pam's a nice girl.  Don't make her go through all the shit you're putting me through."

Jim nodded solemnly.

Karen sighed, a hand on her forehead.  "Listen, uh, I'll get a ride with... someone.  I don't really feel like spending any more time with you tonight."

"I understand," Jim told her sincerely. 

Karen turned and walked inside.  Jim followed shortly after, but she headed for the door while he looked for Pam.  He spotted her walking with her head down, following Roy to a different balcony than the one he had just emerged from.  No, no, no... fuck!

"Pam!" he called.  She turned and looked to him curiously.

"Hey, Jim," she said awkwardly.  Roy shot him a dirty look.

"Um, can I talk to you for a minute?" Jim requested.

Pam looked and Roy, and then to Jim.  Behind Jim, she spotted Karen watching with angry eyes from across the room.  "Um, y-yeah."  She looked apologetically at Roy, then followed Jim out into the foyer.  "What's up?" she asked.

Jim looked down at his feet, then at Pam.  "Pam, are you at all... remotely... um, interested... in me?"

Pam furrowed her brows.  What was the right answer?  Was this settling a dispute between him and Karen?  "Is this about what I said to Karen at the bachelorette party?"

"What?" Jim asked, genuinely confused.  "What did you say?"

"Oh, I guess it's not, then," she said, avoiding the question.

"Just answer me Pam," he demanded.  "Be honest.  Please.  I need to know."

It was time for Fancy New Beesly to speak her mind and get what she wants.  "Yeah," she said quietly.  "I'm... I'm interested."  She looked up at Jim and saw the relief and adoration in his eyes.  "More than interested," she admitted with a shy smile, suddenly feeling more bold as she looked into those dark green eyes of his. 

She was about to elaborate, but he silenced her with his lips.  His hands on her hips, pulling her closer, and his hands now running up her back, into her hair.  She ran her hands over his chest and up around his shoulders, bringing them to rest in the long hair lapping over the back of his shirt.

He pulled away, breathless.

"What about Karen?" Pam wondered.

"She's gone," he told her.

"You broke up with her just now?" she aked.  Jim nodded.  "Why?"

"Because I couldn't stand being without you for another minute.  It couldn't wait."

Pam reached up and kissed him firmly, and then let him go, wishing to look at his eyes again.

"And it looks like I had perfect timing, too," he said, obviously hinting at her closeness to Roy.

Pam nodded with her head down.  "Well, at least I know that whenever I'm about to make a really stuipid mistake, I can count on you to save me from it."

"I'll always be there to save you," he nearly whispered.  As she hugged him tightly and he rested his head on hers, he smiled. 

He was proud in that moment.  He had done what he had always desired.

He had saved the receptionist from herself.

End Notes:

I considered having Jim break up with Karen only to see Pam walking out with Roy... but then I decided to be nice and give you all a happy ending.  Be grateful.  This one could have been full of irony and pain.

COMMENTS!!!

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2286