- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Startng in Season 3 at "The Initiation", we see what would've happened if Pam would've just spoken up!

Warning:  Not all of these will end up with happy, in love Jim and Pam... I will leave some hanging!  I know, I'm mean...

 

I don't own any of this.

Author's Chapter Notes:

Spoilers for "Initiation".

"Dunder Mifflin," she answered.  It was after five.  She had a long day tracking Michael's every action (all five of them), and she didn't even bother saying, "This is Pam."

"Uh, hey," he replied. 

Her heart stopped.  "Oh my god," she breathed.

"Hi," he said in return.

"Hi."  God, was it really him?

"Sorry," he said.  "I forgot Kevin's extension.  It's a... fantasy football thing."

"Oh," was all she could say.

"And I was just going to go through the system cause I didn't think you'd be there. Why, why are you still there?"

His voice... I can't believe it's his voice... "I had to work late.  Jan's making me keep a log of everything Michael does all day," she explained.

"Wow.  Do you think you could send me a copy of that?"

"Yeah, totally," she promised.  "So..."

"So..."

"Do you..."

"Oh, I'm sorry.  Go ahead," he isisted.

"Uh, no, I um," she stuttered. "Everything's pretty much the same here."

"Oh good," he said.

"A little different," without you...  "What time is it there?"

"What time is it here?" he echoed.  "Um, we're in the same time zone."

"Oh yeah," she breathed.  "Right."

"How far away did you think we were?" he asked.

"I don't know," she admitted.  "It felt far."   There was a slight pause.  "I really miss you, Jim.  It's not the same without you."  Oh, god, did I really just say that?  What is wrong with you, Pam?

A longer pause.

"I miss you too, Beesly."

"Why did you leave?" she wondered.  "You never seemed all that eager to move up in the company, you know?  Not that.... not that you aren't... you know, wanting to succeed, but... God, I don't know what I'm saying."

"No, I... I know.  I guess... it just... hurt."

Pam closed her eyes, refusing tears to form.  "I'm so sorry," she whispered.  "Come back--please.  I'll make it right."

"Pam, I... I can't just ask for another transfer," he said.  "Jan did a lot to get me this transfer as quickly as she did."

"I know."  There was no avoiding the tears now.  "God, Jim, if I could just...  I mean, the wedding was only a few weeks away!  I had finally... I was almost there.  And then... Jim, it wasn't easy."

"I know," he replied.  "I'm sorry.  I guess... my timing was bad."

"Well," she sighed.  "It's not like... I mean, it wasn't a complete surprise."

"It wasn't?"  Jim sounded genuinely surprised.

"No," she answered.  "I'm not blind, Jim.  You had told me so many times before... I just refused to listen.  It was so obvious!  Like the day I called jinx on you.  Or on the booze cruise.  Jim, I've known for a while, I just... wasn't willing to face it.  I'm so sorry!  And you didn't misinterpret."

"I didn't?"

"No.  You didn't.  I care for you a lot, Jim.  I have for a long time.  I just wouldn't let myself admit it because... well, because I was engaged," she chuckled.  "But I do want... I want to be more than friends."

Another long pause.  And then a deep sigh.  Pam nearly choked with the weight of her tears on her chest.

"Jim?  Please say something--anything!"

"What are you doing tomorrow?"

"What?  Tomorrow?"

"Yeah.  Tomorrow.  Like... are you free for dinner?"

Pam smiled.  Just like that?  No, she knew it would still take some time.  They both had a lot of baggage, and they would have a lot to work through.  But dinner was a nice start.  "But... you're in Stamford," she said. 

"It's only a couple of hours--three with traffic," he said.  "So what do you say?"

"Um, yeah--of course!"

"Good.  I'll pick you up at seven.  Are you still at the same place?"

"Uh, no," she said.  "Roy stayed in the apartment.  I'm at a new place.  I'll email you the directions.  And seven is fine."

"Good.  It's a date, then."  A shorter pause.  "Hey I have a question," he stated.  "How fast does the average person type?"

Chapter End Notes:
COMMENTS!  should I write more or should I stop here?

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans