The Dunder-Mifflin Country Club by xoxoxo
Summary:

It's the hottest June on record and desperate times call for desperate measures. 

I don't know exactly where to place this story.  It's June - but Pam definitely isn't married and Jim hasn't said anything.  So maybe June of Season 1?  Just work w/me people. :)


Categories: Other, Past Characters: Ensemble, Jim/Pam
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 4746 Read: 6699 Published: August 13, 2006 Updated: September 05, 2006

1. Be Prepared by xoxoxo

2. Adult Swim by xoxoxo

3. The Party's Over :( by xoxoxo

Be Prepared by xoxoxo
Author's Notes:

OK MTT-ers.  I'm freaking out.

Pixel graciously gave me the go ahead for this fic.  I just hope I can do it justice.  Various portions of this story are the direct result of her wittiness.  I've just taken them and run.

Because it's me and I cannot seem to help myself - there will be JAM but...sort of on the side.  Read on and you'll get what I mean. ;)

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

The Dunder-Mifflin Country Club

It’s the hottest June on record and desperate times call for desperate measures.

xoxoxoxo

(Jim sits in the conference room, collar is unbuttoned, his tie hanging loosely around his neck.  His shirtsleeves rolled up to just above his elbows.)

God. It's like the Sahara in here.  Oscar, Kevin and Angela are playing tug of war with the thermostat. I don't know why they're even bothering - the A/C's been iffy all day anyway.  I think the power is five seconds from going out completely and it'll probably affect the whole town.  Kelly's already suffering from heatstroke.  At least that's what she's been saying.  Every. Two. Minutes.  Everyone's just beyond irritated - and that's even with Michael up in New York today.   And since Michael isn't here, you know what that means. 

It's time to take matters into our own hands. 

xoxoxoxo

He leans back in his chair and smiles as he talks on the phone.  "OK.  No.  I promise.  Thank you so much - it's just.  I know…scorching right?    No.  Really.  Thanks a lot Billy.  Everyone will appreciate it I'm sure.  OK.  Right.  Great.  Have a good one." As Jim hangs up the phone he gives Pam a thumbs up as he hangs up and turns towards Dwight.

She grins back and walks over to his desk, swaying a bit.

xoxoxoxo

(Pam lifts her hair off the back of her neck and waves a fan she's folded out of cardstock.)

Jim is brilliant.  He's gotten the management company to agree to let us have a barbecue up on the roof. He even went out on his lunch hour and bought a pool.  And Stanley went home and brought back one of those little cabana things so we'll have some shade.  Between that and the umbrellas we've duct taped to the lawn chairs up there we should be all set. 

(She sighs and her voice becomes dreamy.)

I'm really looking forward to it. I don't usually hang out by the pool much.  Roy bought those wave runners and we take them to the lake.  I'd love for us to take our honeymoon to somewhere with a really nice pool.  The kind with the bar service where you can order margaritas and they bring them right to you.  I know.  It sounds silly but I've always wanted to do that.

xoxoxoxo

"Hey Dwight."  She says brightly, waving her fan in front of her.

"Did you purchase that?"  He replies accusingly as he watches her waving her fan back and forth.  "That fan has been made from a piece of limited edition paper product. Rocket Red - item number #347830G50A, retailing for $8.99 a ream."

She rolls her eyes.  "No Dwight.  I didn't have to buy it.  Michael told me to test it out.  It's a wonderful quality.  Very sturdy."

"Are you lying to me?  Don't try Pam I can tell.  I've taken a highly specialized course in Body Language."

Jim spies a book resting on the corner of Dwight's desk.  "Um…Dwight? Pretty sure the "Complete Idiot's Guide to Body Language' is for beginners."  Not to mention "idiot's" he thinks with a smirk.

"You don't know anything about anything Jim." He replies with disgust.

"I…beg to differ."  Jim counters.  "For example, I know that if one is reading a book geared specifically towards 'complete idiots' then they themselves might be suspect."

Pam tries to stifle a laugh and get back to the task at hand.  "Dwight.  I have a really big favor to ask you.  Didn't you used to be a lifeguard?"

His chest puffs out and he sits straighter in his chair.  "Milford Beach.  Summer of 1997.  I saved the same elderly woman from certain death on three separate occasions."

Pam shakes her head and tries to suppress a smile.  "I thought so.  Listen.   We really need your help.  Jim's found out that the management of the building is letting us set up a roof deck to help us deal with this oppressive heat.  They're even going to let us have a small pool and we'd really like it if you could help to ensure everyone's safety."

A look of smug satisfaction fills Dwight's face.  "A pool?   I'm really trained for more dangerous waters.  Question.  How deep will this pool be?"

Jim shrugs.  "I don't know.  Two feet?" 

Dwight second guesses himself and waves off Jim's reply.  "Actually, scratch that.  A human being could die in less than two inches of water.  That is why I always keep a flotation device next to the bathtub at all times."

"Good thinking, Dwight."  Pam nods approvingly, scared to even contemplate the image of Dwight in a bathtub.  "So can we count on you?"

xoxoxoxo

(Dwight couldn't look more proud as he gives the camera a superior smile.)

"You know - Mose and I are working towards a concept that consists of providing power made from a compound comprised entirely of beet by-products.  Once that happens, brown outs like these will be a thing of the past and I'll make a fortune."

xoxoxoxo

"As if there is anyone else with enough training."  Dwight replies with repugnance.

As Pam and Jim dash off to get things in order Dwight pushes back his chair.  He wonders aloud if he has all of his supplies and equipment in the trunk of his car.  He decides he'd better go check to be sure.

xoxoxoxo

(Kelly giggles and sighs)

I just bought a bathing suit yesterday at lunch because I'm supposed to go to Club Med with my sorority sisters in two weeks!!!  And I still had it in my car.  YAY me!!

It's sooooo cute.  It's a bikini - from H&M??  I saw it on a billboard and I thought it was the hottest thing I've ever seen. 

(She claps her hands and giggles louder.)

Hopefully when I wear it today Ryan will think it's hot too.  It's hot but you know.  Not too, too hot.  Sort of like tastefully hot??  Like Britney when she was with Justin as opposed to K-Fed Britney???  And by the way who doesn't wear shoes in a public bathroom?  I mean.  Helloooo!???!!  Flip flops anyone!?!?  Way to ruin a pedicure!

xoxoxoxo

(Angela rolls her eyes and folds her arms across her chest.)

It's no wonder productivity is at an all time low around here.  At least the people who work in the warehouse understand the importance of a days pay for a days work.  You never see them plotting elaborate schemes like…some people I know. 

Bathing suits should never be worn on company time.   It's entirely inappropriate.

xoxoxoxo

Jim leans over Pam's desk and sifts through the jellybeans.

"I am so not wearing a bathing suit in front of…"  Pam leans closer and speaks softly. "Creed."

Jim gives her a bemused look and tries to hide his grave disappointment.

He guesses he'll have to be content with his fantasies.  Maybe he'll at least get to see her in shorts.

Her arms cover in goose bumps as she shivers.  "I'm not.  He creeps me out, Jim."

"More than Dwight?"  He prompts leaning closer. 

As he does he breathes in deeply, inhaling her scent.  Today she smells all powdery.  She keeps lifting her hair off the back of her neck, driving him to near distraction. 

Subconsciously she loves when he does this, looks at her that way.  It makes her feel dizzy and fluttery.  Almost as if she were drunk.  It's like she's the only person in the room.  She swallows and tries to focus.  For a split second she can't remember what they've been talking about. 

Oh yeah.  Creed. Dwight.

If there was any topic of conversation that could sober her up that was it.

"Different than Dwight.   Jim.  I'm serious.  I think he lives in his car.  Have you ever noticed he's almost always here first in the morning? And I caught him stealing a whole box of those little non dairy creamers from the break room.  I think he pours it on his cereal."

xoxoxoxo

(Creed shrugs.)

Real dairy products are highly overrated. On the whole I'm not a big fan of anything that requires refrigeration.

xoxoxoxo

Dwight walks back into the office dressed for the task at hand.  Orange Speedo, white t-shirt with the word Lifeguard in bright orange letters.  He's carrying a life preserver and has zinc oxide smeared over the bridge of his nose.

"Hey Hasselhoff.  Thanks for stopping by."  Jim comments as he moves towards the door, carrying a box full of plastic cups and paper plates. 

Dwight looks at him with disgust.  "Jim.  Have some respect.  Saving lives is serious business."

xoxoxoxo

(Kevin's voice sounds wistful.) 

God I wish I was David Hasselhoff. I really miss Baywatch.  I can't believe how lucky that guy is.  The lifeguards at my beach never looked like that. 

(He ponders for a second.)

They looked more like Dwight come to think of it.

Yasmin Bleeth?  Hottest Baywatch babe ever.

(He grins.)

Adult Swim by xoxoxo

"I don't know if asking Dwight to be the lifeguard was the best idea."  Pam sighs as she helps Jim set up chairs poolside.  "I mean, honestly?  I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to rid myself of that image."  She shudders a bit.

Jim tends to agree, but knows there was no way around it.  Without Dwight's buy in - the whole concept would come crumbling down.  Jim whistles as he drags the garden hose to the pool and begins to fill it.

Unable to stand the heat a moment longer Pam snaps the rubber band she'd fastened to her wrist.  She stretches and pulls her hair back off her face.  A sliver of her stomach becomes visible as she twists her curls into a messy ponytail.

Seeing her in shorts, with her blouse knotted neatly at the waist was difficult enough but this?  Water splashes on Jim's feet and he jumps back.  He'd been so preoccupied watching her that he'd missed the pool completely.

She doesn't notice, or if she does she doesn't say anything.  It's easy to pretend when sunglasses shade your eyes.  She smiles up at him as she plops into a chair, rifling through a box she's pulled into her lap.

"Oooo!  Margarita mix?"  She says with a giggle. 

"Mockarita, Pam."  Jim scolds her.  "Notice there is no tequila.  We are on the clock you know."

xoxoxoxo

(Oscar looks slightly irritated, if not offended.)

Last month Michael organized a Cinco de Mayo party. He seemed genuinely surprised when I told him that "my people" did not invent mayonnaise.

xoxoxoxo

Suddenly a life preserver comes flying up and onto the roof.  Pam and Jim hear grunting and then see a large cooler appear, quickly followed by Dwight.  

Pam bites her lip and keeps her eyes level; scared she'll go blind if she takes another look at his attire. 

"What you got there?"  She asks, afraid of the answer.

"Provisions." He says as he stands next to the cooler, hands on his hips.  "It's been a good gaming year.  There was an influx at the farm this spring.  I have enough woodchuck patties for everyone.  Although."  He looks at Pam thoughtfully.  "We might have to supplement with a few beaver burgers..."  He trails off.

Pam's eyes fly open wide and her stomach rolls.  She gives Jim a look that says "He did NOT just say beaver burgers…"

He shakes his head, and holds up a hand, silently letting her know there's no need for worry.  "Thanks Dwight." He smiles as he watches Dwight drop the cooler next to the grill.

One by one they all make the climb to the roof. 

Phyllis appears, wearing an enormous straw hat to shade her face from the sun. 

xoxoxoxo

(Phyllis looks giddy.)

Bobby would have stopped by but on days like today he's in high demand.   I love swimming.    Synchronized is my favorite. 

(She leans forward and whispers.)

I actually won a medal once upon a time.

xoxoxoxo

Angela stalks over to Dwight looking beyond agitated. 

Meredith sinks into a chair immediately, and sips on a Big Gulp she'd just refilled in the break room. 

Kevin is inexplicably wearing a business suit and a snorkel mask.

Oscar has changed into a pastel Hawaiian shirt. 

Toby puts on his sunglasses and rolls up his pant legs.  He surveys the rooftop as the garden hose trickles water over his bare feet.

Ryan is absent, but no one really notices - besides Kelly.  He's taking full advantage of the empty office.  He's holed up in the conference room, studying.  For once, it's as quiet as the library.

xoxoxoxoxo

(Kelly giggles as she fastens a flower in her hair.)

Ryan is sooooooooooo smart.  He's totally got like…Matt Damon's brain from Good Will Hunting, but he looks more like Ben Affleck. 

Except shorter. 

And without the funny accent.

xoxoxoxoxo

Stanley lags behind, huffing and puffing as he makes his way to the roof top.

"Whose idea was this?"  He grumbles as he lumbers over to sit next to Meredith in the cabana.

The pool is finally filled and the grill lit.  Pam stands next to Jim holding a tray full of hamburgers and hot dogs.  She gives him a once over, her gaze moving up and down.  The last time she saw him dressed like this was the day he'd played basketball.  Once again she found herself making mental comparisons.

She blinks and tries to focus on the task at hand. 

"Please tell me you will not let Dwight anywhere near this grill."  She begs.

He smiles back at her.   "I'm conducting an experiment.  I'm thinking beaver burgers taste better when cooked on asphalt."

She peers over his shoulder makes a horrible face.  "Just when I thought it couldn't get more disgusting…"

He laughs loudly.  "Completely understandable, Beesly. When you start with Dwight in a Speedo…the bar's set pretty low."

xoxoxoxo

(A now contented Stanley is calmly working on a crossword puzzle.)

The best thing I can say about today is that Michael isn’t here to ask me if it's really this hot in Africa.

xoxoxoxo

"ATTENTION.  Any one who has just eaten is forbidden to come near the water for a full thirty minutes."  Dwight commands as he paces poolside.

The party is in full swing now.  Jim and Pam sit side by side on lawn chairs, dangling their feet in the pool.  

Phyllis wades through, holding her skirt up above her knees as she chuckles.

"It's a two foot pool Dwight."  Jim says drolly.  "Not to mention that that - is in fact - a myth.  You can swim right after you eat.

Pam takes a sip of her drink and giggles.

"Where did you hear that?"  Dwight asks accusingly.

"The question really should be why haven't you heard that?"  Jim admonishes him as he shakes his head.  "Were you sick that day in lifeguard school? 

"It's not lifeguard school.  Its six weeks of intense physical training.  Question. Have you ever carried a 200 pound dummy through raging water?"  Dwight challenges.

Jim looks at the pool and wonders if Pam splashed really hard it would qualify as raging.  He decides it's too hot to attempt carrying Dwight across the pool to prove a point.

"Can't say that I have."  He replies.

"I didn't think so."  Dwight grumbles and folds his arms across his chest.  He sits on the ledge and takes a bite of his burger.

xoxoxoxoxo

(Kevin gives the camera a look of terror)

I am so not eating that beaver.

xoxoxoxoxo

Shuddering as he watches Dwight eat, Jim leans back in his chair, his foot knocking against Pam's under the water. 

"Sorry."  He says as he straightens his legs and swallows a gulp of his mockarita.  The little drink umbrella she'd fashioned out of cardstock and a binder clip hits him in the nose. 

She's thought of everything.  He smiles.  Her creativity never ceases to amaze him.

"It's OK.  It's not as if you can help it, Jim."  She's still giggling and he feels a bit light headed looking at her.  "Your feet are HUGE!"  She comments, a little too loudly.

Jim gazes over at her and the he thinks the heat must be getting to him.  He regards the drink in his hand.  Suddenly he could swear these mockaritas aren't quite as mock as he originally thought.

Meredith stands to the side, shaking the margarita mix container with excessive force before refilling her cup.  She settles back into her chair and sips through the straw.

Pam's still giggling.  "Well.  You know what they say about big feet." 

"No.  I really don't."  Jim deadpans. 

She shrugs and gives him a smile.  "They say men with big feet also have…"

He holds his breath.

"…big shoes."   She finishes, giggling again.

Not buying her answer completely, he smiles back at her.  "It would stand to reason."  He agrees.

"Need a refill?"  She asks as she moves to stand.  She wobbles and her foot slips on the plastic liner of the pool.

Jim rushes to steady her and his feet tangle with hers, sending them both crashing in the water.

Both come up sputtering and laughing uncontrollably. 

Dwight's suddenly behind Jim, hooking his hands under his arms and trying to drag him over the side. 

"Dwight."  Jim swats him away.  "Get your hands off of me."

Pam wrings out the hem of her shirt as she sits in the water.  The way her clothes are now molded to her have Jim struggling to concentrate. 

It takes great effort but he stands and offers his hand. 

Pam gazes up at him approvingly.  He looks quite muscular in thin wet cotton. 

Pam takes his hand tightly and leverages herself.  With one yank she pulls him back down into the water where he lands with a gigantic splash. 

Water crashes all over Angela, leaving her intensely furious. 

Oblivious, Jim makes another attempt to get up which results in putting Pam into hysterics as she watches him take poor Phyllis down with him.

He's red faced as he surfaces.  "I'm sorry."  He sputters as he looks over at her guiltily. 

Phyllis takes it in stride, and begins to do the backstroke.

 

The Party's Over :( by xoxoxo
Author's Notes:

So again...I have no idea where this fits timewise.  I'm assuming the Dundies have happened...but I'm iffy with the rest of S2.  Kindly suspend your disbelief. 

Merci beaucoup!!  Until we meet again....

The Party's Over

(Meredith slurps on her straw loudly.)

I'm always happy when Happy Hour actually begins during work.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

The party is winding down.  The heat is getting to everyone and it's nearly four o'clock.

Stanley is snoozing in the shade.

Toby heads downstairs to call corporate and alert them that due to building maintenance issues the office needs to close early. 

It's actually true - since all of the fiddling with the thermostat has now brought the indoor temperature to a chilly 56 degrees.

Meredith sits in the same spot for so long that she now has a sunburn in the design of the chair she had napped in.  Alternating stripes of pink and white adorn her cheeks.

A shrill whistle fills the air, waking Stanley with a start.  "Everyone out of the water!" 

Phyllis steps gracefully to leave the pool as Pam leans back against the side and takes another swig of her mockarita.

Jim swipes water out of his eyes.  "Are you proud of yourself?"

"Immensely."  She smiles widely and takes yet another sip.

She looks so cute he can't hold back a smile.

"Did you not hear me?"  Dwight splashes between them and blows the whistle again.

"I heard you Dwight."  Jim replies.  "I'm also ignoring you."

"Out of the pool."  He orders again.

"Why?"  Pam asks defiantly.

"As appointed lifeguard of this facility…"  Dwight begins.

"Facility being…an inflatable pool I bought at Target."  Jim inserts nodding at Pam.

She snorts and kicks his knee with her foot - which - he just now realizes, has toes painted bubblegum pink.

"That is irrelevant."  Dwight folds his arms across his chest and glowers down at him.

"As is your so-called authority."  Jim counters.

"JIM."  Dwight's patience is now visibly thin.  "It is unhealthy for…"  His voice lowers to a low whisper.  "females to sit in the water for lengthy periods of time."  He whirls around and glares at Pam.  "Do you know the statistics for urinary tract infections in this county?"

Pam sputters as she spits out her drink.

"OH. MY. GOD."  She drops her cup and her eyes bug out of her head.

That was enough for Jim.  "Ohhhhkay."  He says with a sigh as he stands and holds his hand out to Pam.  Grasping hers tightly, he carefully steps over the side.  He can tell she's incredibly unsteady on her feet.  Without giving himself time to think about it he grabs her waist and lifts her out of the pool.  She sways into him as he sets her down.

"Thanks."  She murmurs as she stares up at him.

"You're more than welcome."  He leans close to her ear and whispers back.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

(Kelly smiles and giggles a bit.)

This was soooooooo fun and all and I'm soooooooo glad I Ryan got a look at my new suit.  I swear he took a double take. Actually - I'm totally sure of it.

(She sighs)

I just hope Club Med has hotter lifeguards than we had here today.  Someone really should tell Dwight that board shorts are what's hot.

Speedos!?  Soooooooo unnecessary. 

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

(Creed regards the burger in his hand)

Tastes like chicken.

(He shrugs and takes another bite)

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

(Oscar smiles…or at least he appears to.)

Events like this are always a morale booster. 

It's amazing how much damage we can repair when Michael is out of the picture. 

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Pam watches as Jim carefully drains the pool.  She laughs as they both stamp the extra air out of it until it's completely deflated.  She folds the chairs as he wheels the grill to it's hiding spot in the corner.  It could come in handy later this summer.

She can't remember when she's had such a good time.  Then again, if she really stops to think about it she'd realize that she always has the most fun ever when she's with Jim.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Phyllis takes a sweater she keeps in her bottom desk drawer and fashions it into a type of turban.

(She grins widely.)

Jim and Pam did such a wonderful job organizing today.  Everyone had such a good time.

(She winks)

If you ask me those two make quite a pair.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Pam giggles as she watches Jim climb down off the roof.  She stands at the top shakily and he begins to get nervous. 

"Easy, Beesly."  He calls up to her.  "I'm in no shape to drive you to the hospital if you break your leg."

"HA!"  She laughs loudly as he helps her down.  She stumbles as she steps off the last rung of the ladder.  Without warning she turns around in his arms and gives him a smacking kiss on the lips.

He stands there shocked as she laughs again and moves behind him, jumping up on his back, clearly intending for him to give her a piggyback ride.  She curls her arms around his neck and rests her head against his shoulder. 

The feel of her body pressed so closely to his is threatening his sanity.

She smacks her hand on the side of his arm.  "Home James."  She orders and laughs again.

"Your wish - my command."  He says with a half smile, wondering if she knows how much he really means it.

As everyone makes their way back inside, Creed kneels next to the cooler and fills his suit jacket with the remains of Dwight's offerings.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

(Jim's cheeks are flushed pink.  He looks perplexed and slightly giddy as he gives a bit of a shrug)

OK.  It's official.  There is definitely a direct correlation between margaritas and Pam kissing me.

(He smiles slightly and ducks his head before becoming self conscious.)

Honestly?  I think she's just an affectionate drunk.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

The frosty air conditioning has everyone rushing to get back into their office attire.  One by one everyone takes their leave.

Jim whistles as he walks back toward his desk.  He swears he can hear the sound of teeth chattering.

He leans over Pam's desk and is rewarded with a tantalizing view of her butt in the air.  She wiggles a bit and he sucks in a breath.

"Lose something?"  He finally manages.

"I can't find my skirt."  She crawls back to rest on her heels.  She looks up at him with a pout.

He bites back a smile.  "Your mother would be so proud to hear that."

She glares at him and then sighs staring down at her soggy clothes.  "I guess I'll just go home like this." 

Her hair falls in damp ringlets around her shoulders and he loses his concentration for a second as he watches her.

She shivers and he's roused from his reverie.

"I think I can help you out."  He says as he pulls open a desk drawer.  He grabs a spare tee shirt and nods towards the restrooms.  "Follow me."

She recognizes the shirt immediately.  "Jim.  I can't wear that shirt."  She gives him a look.  "I'd rather freeze to death."

He gives her a look.  "C'mon.  Do you think I'd do that to you?"  He slips his tie from his collar and hands it to her.  His fingers fly over the buttons of his shirt and he shrugs it off casually, like it's no big deal for him to be standing bare-chested in front of her.  Pam catches her bottom lip between her teeth and stops breathing for a moment.

He looks much more...well...built than she ever imagined.

She shakes her head vigorously.  Not that she's really imagined him shirtless or anything...

Oblivious to her reaction, he hands her his shirt with a smile.  "It'll fit you like a dress."  He says with a chuckle.

She blinks furiously as she moves to the Ladies Room.  "Um.  Yeah.  Probably." 

As he watches her go he pulls the other shirt over his head.   Michael had them made up as part of one of his brilliant marketing schemes.

Somehow no one really believed that "Dunder-Mifflin Paper.  We'll wipe the competition" would ever really catch on - nor that it would exactly be the image corporate was looking for.

Jim smiles as he catches sight of Pam, who emerges with his shirt skimming her knees, and his tie cinching her waist.  She looks so delicate and tiny he loses his breath again. 

"What do you think?" She asks nervously.  She is acutely aware that he'd just been wearing this shirt himself.  His scent envelopes her - a mixture of clean laundry, spicy deodorant soap and simply…Jim.

She decides then and there to conveniently "forget" to give this shirt back to him.

"Very nice."  He grins as she does a little turn.  He nods towards the door.  "Ready to go?"

She really wasn't but she also knew that all good things must come to an end.  She wonders if Roy will ask her why she's wearing Jim's shirt.  She decides he probably won't even notice.

"Sure."  She replies with a sigh.

They stop at their desks to grab their belongings.  Pam stuffs her water logged clothes in a shopping bag that she swings casually by her side as they wait for the elevator.

Jim keeps his eyes on the lighted numbers, desperately trying to forget that she's standing beside him dressed in his clothes.  It's an image he's daydreamed about for years.  Of course that daydream included her wearing such an outfit after she'd left his bed but he figures that's a little too much for today.

She's happy.  There's really not much more that matters.

He doesn't hear her call his name.  Pam finally elbows Jim in the ribs to get his attention.

"Hmmm?  I'm sorry - what?"

"This was a great idea Jim.  Today was really fun."  She says as she smiles up at him.

"It was wasn't it?"  He replies, smiling back.

She nods and adds - her voice full of sincerity.  "You're really wasting your talent here." 

Jim contemplates for a second.  He's pretty confident that his greatest talent is making her smile.  

The elevator doors open and he leans against them to make sure they don't close before she exits safely.

"I'm not so sure about that."  He whispers too low for her to hear as she walks past him.  

 

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=229