The Consequence of Devotion by dmscranton
Summary:

How the events of Casino Night effect Pam emotionally and how she digs herself up and out the hole of despair to be the Fancy and New Beesly of Season 3.

Completed 8/06/08


Categories: Jim and Pam, Past, Episode Related Characters: Angela, Dwight, Jim, Jim/Pam, Kevin, Michael, Other, Pam, Pam/Roy, Phyllis, Roy
Genres: Angst, Romance, Workdays
Warnings: Adult language
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 14482 Read: 29693 Published: September 06, 2007 Updated: August 06, 2008
Story Notes:

07/18/08: I've been working on this fic for almost a year and didn't expect it to take so long. Weirdly enough I'm sort of living my own version of Pam's life and have found it easy at times and more difficult at others, to get the creative juices flowing. I am hoping to wrap it up in the next 2-3 chapters. I have just gone through and re-edited some portions, no major plot points just grammar and sentence structure. You know, the fun stuff! :-P

I hope it's not just another CN-fic that people are tired of reading. I hope it pulls a little at your heart and places you within Pam's mind.

It's written a little differently, though, I'm introducing everyone to the characters as if we've never met them. So there will be brief introductions each time we meet a 'new' character, and I hope it works.

1. Chapter 1 by dmscranton

2. Chapter 2 by dmscranton

3. Chapter 3 by dmscranton

4. Chapter 4 by dmscranton

5. Chapter 5 by dmscranton

6. Chapter 6 by dmscranton

7. Chapter 7 by dmscranton

8. Chapter 8 by dmscranton

9. Chapter 9 by dmscranton

10. Chapter 10 by dmscranton

Chapter 1 by dmscranton
Author's Notes:

I want to thank Wendy Blue and Cousin Mose for their talented beta skillz. They're like the dynamic duo.

updated: 07/18/08

Dunder Mifflin’s office was dark, except for a few sparse desk lamps left on throughout the room. Most of the staff left the office earlier in the day and were participating in a special Casino Night event, taking place in the company’s warehouse downstairs. There was one, lone Mifflinite standing in the office. The low yellow lighting of the office shone off of the tears trickling down her cheeks; changing the hue of her periwinkle dress.

 

************************************************************************

 

    Pam Beesly was the receptionist for Dunder-Mifflin Paper Company at the Scranton Pennsylvania branch. She worked at D-M for the past three years and during this time never entertained the thought of leaving her job, until tonight. Her hands were sweating beneath her weight as she leaned her body against the top of the desk. She had faced away from it almost fearing the its sight. Her palms rested on top of the smooth surface, with her thin, long fingers gripping the edge. Her knuckles changed to a shade of white as she burst into silent tears.

    Thirty minutes earlier her best friend stopped being the charming, goofy, dependable, predictable man she knew and turned into an enigma she couldn’t decipher. He loved her; in fact he had told her as plain as day, and she didn't how to handle it. He said those exact words to her, I’m in love with you, and she faltered. She lost her breath, and was also losing her friend.

    Jim Halpert had stood before her, telling her something she had feared for years. Just two minutes earlier her fiancé had left her in Jim’s caring hands. She stood before Jim, stumbling to catch her reeling mind. He had stood there, however, expecting more. He waited for the words he’d longed to hear, but she wasn’t ready to say them. The feelings she had sensed for a long time were tossed at her and she was unprepared to catch them.

    For ten years Pam had been in a relationship with Roy Anderson. The couple had been engaged for the last three years and she was finally planning the wedding that Roy evaded for so long. The path her life had been taking hit a sudden fork with Jim's confession and she was eager to continue down the comfortable, predictable route. Her heart was telling her to follow the road less traveled but she, of course, was prepared to follow her reliable mind.

    She responded to Jim with I can’t but the words sounded more uneasy, more questionable than reassuring. Oddly enough, her heart was hoping he would answer her, you can, but to no avail. Later she understood that he must have expected her to say something else and his ears were only tuned to those three words. He wouldn’t catch anything else but I love you, no matter what she had said.

    The look strewn across his face was clear devastation. He turned away from her while a single tear rolled down his cheek. Pam had never seen Jim look so crushed and hurt, especially to have her be the one to cause his pain. She wanted nothing for him but happiness, for as long as she had been his friend. She was with him everyday and reveled in his bright smile. She always felt a small amount of internal glory to be the cause of such happiness. 

    Little did Pam realize that over time those happy feelings turned into love. She was never sure of the exact moment it happened but she knew somewhere along their journey they both changed. What Jim didn't know was that she loved him too but was scared of what that would mean for their relationship.

    For years they had their lives plotted out; she was with Roy at home and on weekends but she was able to enter this alternate universe at work and be happier with Jim than she’d ever been. There were times, of course, it didn’t seem to be that simple. She ignored the obvious reasons, she just told herself it wasn’t love it was a different kind of love perhaps. Not the heart wrenching, life altering love but the kind of love that grows between two really close friends. 

    There had been many times she shared these sentiments with her mother, or even tried to convey something to Roy without using the word love. All she wanted was an answer all she needed was the definition of what they had. 

    That is how she ended upstairs in the office, alone. She didn't set a course to make that her destination, but she just ended up there. Her fingers shaking as she reached for the phone to call her mother. She didn't realize until the cold plastic receiver was in her trembling had that she was standing at Jim’s desk. It made total and complete sense however. Her instincts had taken her past her own desk to be at his, just to feel his aura in the air. 

    Her voice was shaky, at almost a whisper when her mom answered. At first Jane Beesly was afraid of what had happened to Pam. Her worst fears were flashing through her eyes, and she was scared Roy had done something unforgivable. Pam choked on Jim’s name and her mother was relieved, but ultimately could determine what had happened.

    For years her daughter spoke very highly of Jim. Pam had on many occasions expressed her love for him to her mom but had always prefaced it with he’s my friend. He’s the best best friend anyone could ask for. Jane knew Pam was struggling with the reality that the man she called her best friend really was more than that.

    Jane asked her daughter what had happened and Pam told her everything. She told her mother that Jim expressed his true feelings and that she panicked. She didn’t know what to do; she was afraid she would lose him forever, and she wasn’t sure she could live without him.

    Jane asked her daughter the inevitable question that was hanging heavily in the air. Pam easily replied with “Yeah, I think I am.” Jane hoped her daughter would embrace her feelings now that she had accepted them, but she knew her daughter too well. Without warning, Pam was hanging up the phone and Jane asked her to please call in the morning. Pam said she would, and then hung up. 

    Jim had suddenly appeared around the corner of the front entrance. His hands were in his gray pants, and his head was lowered to the floor. He had heard her voice down the hall, and everything inside of him told him to run: his gut, his brain, his legs, but he was tired of listening to those things and he followed his heart.

    His hair was a bit more frazzled than it had been downstairs in the parking lot. Pam was sure he’d run his fingers through it many times since their last meeting. He was still devastatingly handsome though and her heart fluttered against her chest as he neared her.

    When he saw her facing away from him, clutching his phone, he knew she just lied to him downstairs. When she told him he misinterpreted, she had just been too scared. There she was standing at his desk, of all places for her to make a phone call she had chosen his. He almost didn’t realize his body was headed towards her, his feet still moving as he pulled his hands out of his pockets and gripped her waist.

    Pam took a deep breath as she felt his body touching hers and his lips push firmly against her mouth. Jim’s heart was racing and he was sure if she pulled away from him now he would shatter internally, leaving him soulless and empty.

    His mind began to race as she continued to kiss him back. He questioned everything she had said. He mentally began to prepare their future together; he could visualize their lives forming in his mind. Then fear crept within his thoughts and he began to worry. He needed to hear her reassure him. Slowly he released her from his arms and moved his body a few inches away. His hands ran across her arms and found her fingers, intertwining them with his own. The two of them stood in front of each other for the first time, uncovered.

    Jim released an abundant amount of air that he had held within his lungs for, what felt like years, and was finally inhaling fresh air. He couldn’t control the smile that took over his face when he looked down at her. His eyes continued down and he felt his heart burst with glee at the sight of their hands together.

    Pam just stared at him, completely lost and disoriented. She watched his face, his reactions, and followed his eyes as he smiled. She couldn’t feel her face, his lips had just touched hers and they were still too numb to react with a replying smile.

    He suddenly felt the urge to be truthful and he told her, she had no idea how long he’d wanted to do that and to his surprise she also had the urge.

    “Me too.”

    The kiss rattled her, pulled her out of her comfort zone and released the invisible boundaries around them. She didn’t like the way this made her feel, she was nervous and scrambling for an excuse. Maybe they were just drunk, but Jim hadn’t had anything in hours and she hadn’t either. There had to be an excuse for this, the real reason couldn’t be the truth, there had to be something else causing the butterflies in her stomach.

    When Jim leaned in for a second kiss Pam’s body leaned in also but her mind began screaming at her and she stopped him. She spoke his name and he understood exactly what that meant.

    His heart fell to its final resting place as he asked her honestly if she was going to marry Roy. She replied with a nod and Jim knew he’d never be the same. He released her fingers and turned, leaving her to stand alone in the quite office once again. This time however Pam didn’t pick up the phone; she didn’t reach out and call anyone. She stood frozen in place, almost glued to the position her feet were in.

    Her mind was racing quickly as memories flooded her thoughts. Stolen glances, warm smiles, staring eyes, obtained touches and in the 27 seconds after he left she realized what she just missed. She ignored it for so long and those few seconds her brain finally broke free and connected to the pulsing heart inside her chest. The most important organs of her body were finally communicating and she was willing to accept the truth.

    It was too late, however. Jim was gone. He tried, twice, and she denied, twice. Pam was sure he wasn’t going to try again, and she couldn't blame him. How could their relationship be fixed from this? How could they possibly go back?

    A sensation Pam had never experienced before crept deep within her. She was now officially alone. The one thing holding her to this world was gone; she had no idea how important he had been. Now that he was gone, she felt so empty.

    She felt her face dampen and knew she was crying before she could stop the tears from flowing. She didn’t care if she went home red in the face now, she didn’t care if Roy would question her or try and pry. She had officially lost hope.

    Her legs began to shake, and her knees gave way as her small body collapsed to the floor. She put her face in her hands and sobbed loud and hard and didn’t care if anyone heard her. She curled up her legs to her body and pulled out Jim’s chair from the underside of his desk. She pushed it hard and it fell when the back wheel snagged against the carpet. She turned her body and rolled under Jim’s desk hiding in the darkness. She cried as hard as her body would allow. 

    She was purging every emotion she’d ever felt towards Jim, and towards Roy. Her tears were changing from fear and sadness, to guilt and anger. She was startled when her cell phone began to ring. It was in her purse, which was lying on Jim’s desk just above her head. She feared it would be Roy, he would be wondering where she was and she was sure he would hear that she’d been crying.

    She reached her hand up and gripped the handle pulling it down towards the ground. When she pulled the black phone from her purse she was relieved it wasn’t Roy.

    “Angela?”

    “Pam? Jim told me that Roy left and that you were going to need a ride home? Are you still here?”

    Angela Martin was a co-worker who lived in Pam and Roy’s neighborhood and who was always willing to be the designated driver for any and all of her co-workers. Pam was surprised to hear that Jim told Angela she would need a ride home. No matter what Pam had done to him, no matter what he had felt, he still cared.

    “Yeah. I’m still here. I’m upstairs.”

    “Pam? Are you crying?”

    “No, I’m fine.”

    “Well, I was going to leave in five minutes. Do you want me to take you home?”

    “Yes, thank you. I’ll be there.”

    “I hate to pry, are you ok? Jim seemed a little upset too. Did you two have a fight? Will this affect your work performance? Should I inform Michael or Dwight perhaps?”

    “No, Angela. I’m fine, I don’t know about Jim, but no, it’s just been a long night. I’ll see you downstairs in five minutes. Bye.”

    Pam couldn’t bring herself to tell Angela the truth. Angela was a nice woman and had confided in Pam once, but Pam didn’t feel close enough to share this life shattering information with her. She just wanted to hold it in, deal with the emotion all herself, no one else would understand. The only person who might, was also going through the same thing and Pam was sure she couldn’t talk to him.

    She shakily brought herself up on her feet and lifted Jim’s chair from the floor. She sat down in it and his scent wafted into the air surrounding her. She closed her eyes and let a few more tears fall before she stood up and walked into the bathroom to collect herself.

    By the time Pam sat down in Angela’s passenger seat there were no remnants of tears remaining on Pam’s face. Angela eyed her cautiously before they pulled out the parking lot. Pam just turned her face to stare out the window. She could see across the dark asphalt, Jim’s car was still there. She swallowed hard and tried to stop the tear she could feel forming in the corner of her right eye.

    So alone.

 

End Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter 2 by dmscranton
Author's Notes:

Pam comes home after CN.

Thanks to Cousin Mose for being a great quick beta. 

updated: 07/18/08

Chapter 2

    Pam silently slid in through her front door, and gently closed it behind her. The dark small living room engulfing her frail delicate frame. She leaned her body against the solid door and clutched her purse between her thin cold fingers. Exhaling loudly she closed her eyes, her bottom lip quivering. She nodded silently to herself, in the empty darkness, as she decided to wait to speak to Roy until morning. She realized that if she spoke to him that night it wouldn’t be a pretty ending. She wanted this break up to be more than amicable because of their history together. She also hoped that in the morning the puffiness around her eyes would subside.

    Slowly, she pulled herself away from the door and headed into their small bathroom. Feeling her way down the hall, her thin fingers running along the wall reaching for the door frame. When she stepped into the chilly bathroom, she didn't turn the light on but stood in front of the sink, pulling the medicine cabinet door open. She reached her hand in behind the mirror and pulled out a small, round bottle.

    Her head was pounding from the tears she shed earlier. She was positive the dreams and nightmares that would appear to her that evening would not allow her a wink of sleep. She poured two sleeping pills into her palm from the tiny bottle, and placed it back into the medicine cabinet. Popping the two pills on her tongue and leaning down to the faucet she filled her mouth with a gulp of water. Then tossing her head back to allow the water and the two white pills, to slip down her throat easily. This movement was almost routine for Pam now, always desperate for a quiet nights rest.

    She began taking the sleeping pills on a regular basis once Roy decided to set a wedding date. She was anxious, for years, to finally start this chapter in their lives but the fact that it was actually going to happen frightened her. There were so many nights where she laid in bed awake, staring up at the ceiling for hours. The pills became the only thing that could calm her constantly moving mind. She was taking them every night now.

    Stepping back out into the vast darkness, she skimmed her fingers along the wall back out to the living room. She brushed against the couch and sat down pulling the soft cashmere blanket down from the back, wrapping herself up in it. Her body tilted sideways and she placed her head down on the soft throw pillow, curling her legs up underneath her.

    Instead of trying to fumble her way to the bedroom and possibly waking up Roy, she decided to sleep in the living room on the couch, in her dress. If Roy asked her in the morning why she didn't change she would just tell him she didn't want to wake him; the real reason she would keep to herself.

    She wanted to place her hands over her stomach and continue to feel Jim's warmth upon the fabric. Hopelessly wanting to be close to him tonight; she needed to know he was still there for her, even if he wasn't physically there. She eventually fell asleep, the effects of the sleeping pills washing over her and allowing her a moment of peace. She dreamt of him, and of Roy. Some were sad, some were happy but all ended the same... she was alone.


    The next morning Pam woke up before Roy did. The sun peeking through the blinds shining across his face. She stood over him watching him sleep, one last time. She didn't want to wake him, so she quietly picked up a standard pencil skirt and a button down top from within the laundry basket. Then she pulled a couple items out of her dresser and then left the room.

    She stepped into the bathroom, and slowly shut the door behind her, tossing her clothes down on the floor. Standing in the middle of the room and lowering her face down, she closed her eyes. Tears began pouring down her cheeks, and she lifted her hands up to her face pressing her fingers deep into her eyes, trying to stop the tears.

    She threw her arms down at her sides, giving up and moved slowly to the shower. Turning the faucet on, she ran her fingers gently under the flowing water, washing away the tears. The room filled with steam and she finally stripped the periwinkle dress off of her body and delicately draped it over the sink, running her now damp fingers across the fabric. Her face changing from calm to hurt. Struggling to hold back the gasping sob building within her throat, she turned quickly away from the shiny dress and stepped into the shower.

    At first she let the warm water wash over her back, hoping it would wash away the tension built up in her shoulders. Then she tilted her head back, letting the water wash out the soft delicate curls she had worked so hard on the night before. They were matted and disheveled, and the water was now washing the memory of them away. With her hair fully damp, and her fingers massaging her scalp she began to remember, began to day dream of the past. Water and tears now mixing against her cheeks.

    So many smiles, so much laughter, so much happiness, all gone. She lifted her hands back up to her face and covered the soft skin imagining what work will be like now between them. How will they manage the facade? How will they survive?

    Suddenly the horrible feeling of guilt began to creep up her legs, digging into her gut as she remembered the man sleeping on the other side of the bathroom wall.

    Roy.

    What will she say to him? How can she do this? She's about to lose both of the men who have meant so much to her. She's not in love with Roy any longer but she cares about him.

    She quietly turned the water off and leaned her hand against the cool tile, curling her fingers absentmindedly against it, shaking her head in silence. She slowly lifted her leg and pressed the shower curtain away stepping out onto the bathmat. Pulling her towel off of the rack she pressed it against her face. Her shoulders started to shake, as she cried harder into the plush cotton.

    "This isn't how it's supposed to be, this isn't how it's supposed to be...this isn't..." Her voice muffled by the soft fabric covering her face.

    She inhaled deeply and pulled the towel away from her face, wrapping it lightly around her body. She turned toward the mirror and stared back at the blank face staring at her, eyeing the appearance. This woman was empty, this woman was colorless, this woman wasn't Pam.

    Reaching over to her small portable CD player, and flicking it on. The quiet whir of the CD player filled the enclosed space. She pressed her finger gently on the 'Next' button heading to track six. The room instantly filled with a gentle xylophone, tinkling out a clean bright rhythm.

    She let the song play, silent tears falling with each note, while she finished getting dressed and put together.

****
(Song "You Could Be Happy", by Snow Patrol)
End Notes:


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter 3 by dmscranton
Author's Notes:

Wow it's been awhile since I updated this story, my bad!

You might want to re-glance over chapter 2 but it's not necessary or anything. Here's the next installment, with chapter 4 on it's way.

Thanks to Cousin Mose for being a great beta!

updated: 07/18/08

    By the time Pam stepped out of the bathroom Roy was already up and sitting at the kitchen table, his hair ruffled and wearing a white undershirt and his work pants. He looked up at her over his bowl of cereal and spooned a bite into his mouth.
    "Hey babe. What time did you get home last night?"
    She sat down in the opposite chair and fiddled with her necklace. "Oh, not that late. Are you going to be ready to leave in 10 minutes?"
    "Yea, I just gotta put on my shirt and comb my hair. Oh and now that you're outta the bathroom I can brush my teeth." He stood up and tossed the empty bowl into the kitchen sink.
    "Good. Well I'll just... sit here." Pam's voice was quiet and she was sure Roy didn't hear her.
    Her mind was spinning while she tried to calculate how to deal with all of the change. She wanted to talk to Roy, wanted to explain things to him but she was scared. They had been together for so long that the idea of being apart was daunting. She was staring out the window when he walked back into the kitchen.
    "Ready?"
    "Oh! Yes, sorry I was just... thinking. Yep, let's go."
    She stood up and grabbed her purse off the counter and slung it over her shoulder giving him a small smile. He gently placed his hand on the small of her back to guide her to the front door. That simple gesture, that Roy did every day and never realized, was now causing her to be acutely aware of each pressure point on his hand. Each finger tip and the way his palm touched her cardigan was causing a slight chill to crawl up her spine, and the hair on the back of her neck was standing on end. She wanted to pull away, wanted to run, wanted to shrug him away but knew she couldn't, not yet at least. So she bowed her head and let him lead her like he did for the last 10 years of her life.

***

    When Roy pulled in to the parking lot at work Pam couldn't bring herself to look up and scan the asphalt for Jim's car. She wasn't sure her stomach could handle the emotion that would consume her. She shyly said goodbye to Roy and stepped onto the elevator while he turned toward the warehouse. She stepped into the small metal chamber and watched the doors close in front of her. She was trying to imagine what it would be like at work now between her and Jim. How could she possibly sit a few feet away from him and expect things to ever go back to normal?
    When the ding from the elevator went off it snapped her back to reality and she cautiously walked toward the office. She paused in front of the door for a moment with her hand hovering over the handle as if expecting it to burn her. She kept thinking, "It's okay, just go in, everything will be... just fine. Don't forget to breathe." She knew, however, that it was not going to be and that's what was ultimately stopping her. Suddenly she felt a tap on her shoulder.
    "Pam?"
    "Oh geez!" She quickly turned to see Phyllis Lapin, one of her co-workers, standing behind her. Phyllis was a kind woman, she had a smile that could warm up any one and was always very pleasant to Pam.
    "Are you okay dear?" She gently placed her hand on Pam's shoulder and tilted her head to the side in a loving nature.
    "Oh yes, I'm sorry, I... thought I forgot something in Roy's truck... Sorry, let me..." She quickly pushed open the door and felt her stomach drop as she walked towards her desk.
    "Oh, okay. Wasn't last night fun? Bob Vance and I had a wonderful time. It's too bad Michael scheduled it on a Wednesday." They both walked inside together, Pam not hearing what Phyllis was saying, her mind occupied with other things. Her eyes quickly darted to Jim's desk, it looked just the way she had left it the night before. His chair slightly turned and pulled away from his desk, and she could feel her lungs filling back up with air.
    "What? Oh...right, yeah it would've been nice to have it on a Friday, but... that's Michael." She dropped her purse under her desk and slumped down in her chair. Phyllis continued over to her own desk walking by Jim's. Pam's stomach gave a small lurch as she watched Phyllis walk by his desk. She was afraid that Phyllis might be able to sense what had happened the night before. Maybe there was something in the air now, that would cause all of her co-workers to know everything. To her relief Phyllis didn't react, she just walked to her desk calmly and sat down like she does every other day.
    Pam sat for a moment staring at Jim's desk, noticing how empty it looked, how lonely it appeared. Images from the night before were flashing through her mind. Her eyes moved over to his phone and she thought of her mom, then to his chair and she thought of her hands pushing it away. Everything that that space was, reminded her of him, of them, of the good times, the bad times, everything, and now she was scared. This small moment, the small action that occurred was forever changing her life.
    She slid over a small notepad in front of her and pulled a pen from her pencil holder and found herself staring at the metal cup. Her eyes fell to the desk and she smiled in remembrance, she got a good deal on that pencil holder. She realized at that moment, things would never be the same no matter how much she wanted them to be.
End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 4 by dmscranton
Author's Notes:

Thanks again to Cousin Mose for the beta job and words of encouragement.

updated: 07/18/08


     At 10 o'clock Regional Manager Michael Scott, sauntered up to Pam's desk and placed the palms of his hands down on the counter in front of her.
    "Pamela of Sunnybrook farm, have you spoken with one Mr. Halpert?"
    Pam's mouth went dry. She thought Michael had spoken to him that morning.
    "No... um, no no I haven't. Why, didn't you?" Her hands felt clammy as she tightly gripped her pen.
    "Yes. I was just curious to hear what he said to you. He told me he's 'sick.’ Know what I think? Hangover. Too much partying last night. Can't blame him though, I do throw a great party." Michael smiled wide and tapped his index finger against her desk.
    "You sure do. I bet he is sick though. He wasn't drunk... last night." Her eyes fell to her desk and she could feel warm tears beginning to form. She smiled quickly, and fought them back hard.
    "Right. Well if he happens to call, please tell him get well soon, from Michael Scott, his favorite boss... and best friend."
    "Ohhkay, don't you think you could tell him yourself?"
    "Yes, but he said he was going to be sleeping so I didn't want to wake him. He should call in though for his messages and I'd like you to give him that one. Please Pam, just do your job, okay?" He smirked at her and lifted his eyebrows to punctuate his point. Then slowly turned around and meandered back into his office.
    Pam just nodded at him. Sometimes he was too much to handle. Plus, the headache she was experiencing with the waves of sorrow and bouts of guilt, was exhausting.

****

    After Michael mentioned that Jim would be calling in for his messages, every time the phone rang Pam would hesitate to answer it. She knew he wouldn't call reception if he was indeed going to check his messages but the possibility made her nervous. She knew they needed to talk but she didn't want to bring it up, and she especially didn't want to talk about it at work. The office was relatively small and she wasn't that intimate with her co-workers. Not enough to share this huge conversation with them, anyway. Actually she didn't even want to have the conversation with Jim.
    As much as she wanted to discuss their feelings and explore the possibility of them, she didn't want to rock the boat she had gotten used to. It's not that she hated her life, she just lived it day by day and there weren't any major problems, in her eyes. Roy was an okay guy, he took care of her when needed, paid the bills, and would fix things around the house. He wasn't romantic though and she knew that about him, and she'd accepted it. Why should she expect him to change now? She did wish he was more thoughtful though. Jim always remembered special moments and events and would surprise her with little gifts to remind her of it. Last year's Christmas gift was a perfect example. He had given her an adorable green teapot and inside it were small mementos of past events: a mixed tape, a hot sauce packet, and his High School yearbook photo. Roy would never think to give her any of those things, let alone keep them for such a gift.
    Jim always seemed to put Pam ahead of everyone else. She hadn't realized how special he made her feel until last night. When she stood in her bathroom examining her life and her relationships, she realized it should've been obvious to her. His actions for years have shown a caring, loving, relationship, deeper than just friendship. He knew she was with Roy and he put his own happiness aside just for her.
    The phone rang in front of her as she was thinking about her future, and she picked it up in a daze.
    "Dunder Mifflin, this is Pam."
    "Um..."
    "Jim?" She knew it was him but still asked.
    "Yeah, can I talk to Michael?" He sounded serious, almost urgent.
    She lowered her voice just above a whisper, "Jim, listen..."
    "No, not now." His voice showed his obvious exhaustion.
    "Of course, no I wasn't, yeah I'll transfer you to Michael now."
    "Pam?"
    "Yeah." There was a long quiet pause as she waited for him to speak.
    "Never mind."
    "Okay... well, here's Michael."
     "Thanks."
    "Bye Jim."
    With that, she dialed Michael's extension and released the call. She watched Michael through his office blinds and couldn't tell what the conversation was about. Besides calling Michael to tell him he was sick, she didn't know why Jim would call to talk to Michael?
Any other time she would've already known what the conversation was about or she would know right after they hung up. Jim would've kept her in the loop but not anymore, things had already changed.
    At first Michael seemed like himself, smiling, being animated but as the conversation progressed he seemed to be getting upset. At one point he turned his chair around away from his desk and Pam couldn't quite tell but it looked like he was crying. She couldn't come up with any idea as to what Jim would tell Michael that would cause him to cry, but she figured Michael would spill it once he walked out of his office.

End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 5 by dmscranton
Author's Notes:

Just a quick/short chapter of how Pam initially reacts to the devastating news of Jim's transfer.

updated: 07/18/08

    Michael hung up the phone and slowly stood up. After a few seconds he headed to the door and pulled it open quietly. He cleared his throat and crossed his arms protectively in front of his chest.

    "Um... Jim has decided he doesn't love us anymore and is transferring to Stamford." His voice was quiet and shaky.   

    Phyllis was the first to speak up. "What did you just say Michael?"

    Pam had heard him however.

    "I said," Michael raised his voice loudly, "Jim's gone! He's... not coming back. He doesn't like you Phyllis and that's that!" He threw his arms up in the air and turned around toward Pam. "Pam! Did you know this?" He stomped over to her desk with fervor.

    "What? No! No... I, oh god. Michael I have to go."

    She leaned down beneath her desk and grabbed her purse and pulled her coat off of the rack and ran out the door. She couldn't listen to Michael, she couldn't hear the rest of the story. It couldn't be true, he didn't just call Stamford this morning and ask to be transferred, that's not how it worked. She ran to the elevator and stepped inside. As it slowly made it's decline to the first floor she was trying to wrap her brain around the news, trying to piece it all together.

    "He can't leave," she whispered to herself.

    When the doors opened she walked out in a daze. She stepped into the small lobby of their building and quietly headed to the front door. She couldn't feel her feet. She couldn't tell that she was touching the ground. She couldn't even feel her heart beating beneath her chest. Her life was changing before her eyes and she had no control over it.

    The bright sun blinded her as her small shoes stepped out into the parking lot. This time she let herself glance around looking for his car, it wasn't there. He wasn't playing a trick on her. He wasn't joking around, and he wasn't hiding. He wasn't going to pop out of the bushes and yell surprise. He was gone. She placed her hand over her face and sat down on the cement hard. She let her face fall into her hands and released the tension, stress, and emotions she'd been holding all morning with warm salty tears.

    "Pam?"

    She looked up quickly and saw Roy coming around the corner.

    "Oh, Roy!" She stumbled up to her feet and started to wipe at her face.

    "Michael just called the warehouse." He reached out for her and put his hand on her shoulder. She instinctively pulled away from his touch and turned from him.

    "I'm okay, it's nothing, really. I guess I'm just sort of emotional today or something."

    Roy shoved his hands into his pockets and lowered his voice. "He said Jim's transferring."

    "Oh, yeah. I guess he just called."

    "Jim didn't tell you?"

    She silently shook her head.

    "I thought you guys were best friends."

    "Yeah." She huffed out a fake laugh and turned to face Roy. "I guess we aren't. Hey can I have the keys? I sort of need to get away for a little bit?"

    Roy fumbled in his pockets and pulled out the truck keys. "Yeah, sure, don't worry about it. If you don't come back I'll have Darryl drop me off."

    "That's good, I uh, I probably won't come back. I'll just see you at home." She smiled shyly and leaned in taking the keys and kissing him delicately on the cheek.

    "Okay, well call if you need anything. I love you."

    "I will, it's not a big deal or anything, I just need to get out of here. I'll probably be home when you get there." She looked down at the keys in her small hand and nodded. Then she turned and walked away briskly. She wanted to run, to feel her feet bounce off the ground. She wanted to let go, of everything, but she couldn't.

    Not yet.


End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 6 by dmscranton
Author's Notes:

What happens when Pam leaves DM after hearing Jim was headed to Stamford.

Thanks Miss ellabella for being my beta!

updated: 07/18/08

    Pam quickly got into the truck, and pulled the door hard behind her. Slamming the key into the ignition, she revved the engine angrily. Then throwing her seatbelt on, she pulled out of the parking spot quickly and left Roy and Dunder-Mifflin behind her.

     She didn't know where she was going, and at this point didn't care. Her heart was beating quickly, and she felt her lungs gasping to hold onto air. Her face was drenched with tears and she was rubbing her knuckles into her eyes trying to wipe them clean.

    The stop light ahead of her turned yellow and she had to slam on the brakes. When the truck came to a complete stop she began banging her fists hard against the steering wheel. Closing her eyes, she rolled her head back against the headrest and screamed loudly. The tension was releasing from her chest and she was trying to clear her head. Michael's voice was ringing in her ears and she wanted it to stop. She didn't want to believe what he had said, she just wanted it to be silent.

    When the light turned green she slowly stuttered to press on the gas pedal. It was as if she'd lost the power to hold her foot up and to press it firmly enough to get the truck to move. At that moment she realized she shouldn't be on the road. She should just go home, just be alone with out having to deal with anything or anyone, but she couldn't.

    As she continued to drive, she just stared forward, not blinking, hardly breathing and letting her intuitions guide her. Eleven minutes later she turned down a residential street and began counting the houses from the end.

    "...three...four."

    She inhaled deep and felt her stomach drop as she saw the dark cherry wood door. She brought the truck to a crawl and glanced at the driveway, it was empty.

    "Where is he?"

    Small droplets of sweat began to form under her hair draped across her neck. Her heart began to race again and she finally stepped on the brake, bringing the truck to a complete stop in the middle of the road. Dropping her face down, she stared at her lap. Her shoulders drooping and her chest still shaking from the tears that refused to stop.

    How could this be? How could he do this?

    With everything they had been through and the experience they shared the night before, Pam couldn't comprehend what was happening. Her life had been flipped upside down and what she thought she knew was gone. Her head, her heart, her emotions, her intuitions, her body were all betraying her. It was as if her soul had lied to her for years and she was now paying the price.

    She didn't notice the cars slowly having to pass around her every few minutes. She didn't hear the faint honks and barking dogs of the neighborhood. All should could think about was Jim.

    She slowly lifted her fingers to her lips and pressed them softly against the skin. She was sure they were still warm from his touch even hours later. She sighed gently and pulled her hand away slowly, allowing it to drop back in to her lap. When she looked back up she realized she had parked in the middle of the road so she pulled the truck over to a side street and parked it near the corner. It was close enough to see when he came back home but possibly far enough that he wouldn't see her or recognize the truck. Pam knew that if Jim saw the vehicle he would recognize it instantly and the fear that he would confront her caused chills to rush over her spine. She wanted to be able to stay in the truck to watch but was afraid he'd see her. After a few moments of internal conflict she decided to just stay where she was and deal with it if he decided to talk to her.

    It made her angry to think that she was actually fearing the sight of him.


    How dare he think he can do this to me.

    Her emotions began to shift and her blood began to boil. She realized he had to have a lot of nerve to throw his emotions at her and not expect some hesitation. He knew she was engaged. He knew the situation and he decided that he wasn't having it anymore. He didn't even think of what she might have to deal with and it angered her. He had been selfish and she wanted to tell him how childish he was acting. She quickly folded her arms in front of her and huffed angrily. Her eyebrows were furrowed and she was biting on her bottom lip. The tears of sorrow were morphing into blind anger.

    After 20 minutes she began to relax and remember the good times. Her heart slowed down and her eyes felt heavy. The adrenaline rush was gone and the crying had drained her emotionally. She slowly closed her eyes and felt herself drifting off. She was so exhausted she didn't even realize she was falling asleep.


****


    *tap tap tap*

    "Pam?"

    *tap tap*

    She slowly opened her eyes and felt disoriented. The sun was setting in the distance and she couldn't remember where she was.

    "Pam."

    She heard her name and turned her head to look out the window. She gasped as the memory of the morning came rushing back with one glance. She found herself eye to eye with Jim. He had been trying to wake her for the last few minutes, tapping gently on the driver's window so he wouldn't startle her.

    When he came home he noticed the truck right away. She had parked it so the front end was practically sticking out and he knew it was her. He had actually had a moment earlier in the day when he envisioned going home and she would be there waiting for him with open arms. Yet, when he saw the truck his first reaction was that she had told Roy and he was waiting there for Jim to come home. Then he saw the faint outline of curly hair and his palms began to sweat.

    When he approached the truck he kept thinking she was going to rush out and either hug him or punch him and she hadn't done either. Then he saw her through the windshield and noticed her eyes closed. She looked angelic, sleeping quietly with the sun shining through the window across her face. He had just watched her for a minute or two before he knew he had to wake her. He just wanted to enjoy the site of her.

    He had dreamt of that vision. Her laying next to him, asleep in his arms and he wanted to see what she really looked like when she slept. She was beautiful and he loved her so much. It hurt to just look at her anymore and now she was sleeping outside of his home, waiting for him.

    The emotions that were involved were so intense he knew he had to leave town as quickly as possible. It was never going to get any better, if she couldn't love him back he couldn't deal with it any longer.

    "Are you okay?"

    His voice was muffled on the outside of the glass. She ran her hands over her face and unbuckled her seatbelt slowly, then unlocked the truck door and pushed it open. Jim held onto the handle and pulled it gently for her. Her feet fell softly onto the ground below her and she suddenly felt so small. He was towering over her and she felt so vulnerable.

    "Um... what are you doing here?"

    He already knew why, well he assumed why, he just didn't know how to handle the situation. As much as their relationship had been close, and the two of them were best friends, they weren't the most honest and open about their feelings. He didn't know what to do.

    She folded her arms in front of herself and hugged her body tight. She wanted to hit him, flail her hands over and over again at his chest but she knew that wouldn't resolve anything so she hugged herself instead.

    "Michael, um... he said," she stopped and looked up at him, catching his eye and trying to read his thoughts. "Stamford?" Pursing her lips tightly, she stifled back a sob. She didn't want to stand in front of him and let him see her falling apart.

    "Yeah," he swallowed hard and felt a lump growing in his throat. "Jan, uh... she said they had an Assistant Regional Manager position and, um, that I'd be perfect. I was actually over there today, you know... checking it out."

    "Why..."

    "Pam, I wanted to say something..."

    "Stop it, just stop it. No you didn't, or you would have Jim."

    He just nodded and began chewing on his bottom lip. He shoved his hands deep into his pants pockets and felt guilty. She was right, he was hoping he was going to get to leave with out ever having to see her again. Maybe out of sight out of mind would work and he could ignore the pang that plagued him day in and day out.

    "Pam... I'm sorry but I can't stay."

    "Why? Why are you doing this?"

    He looked down at her baffled. Did she really not understand, did she really not comprehend that he was being tortured?

    "I just have to."

    "Fine. I-I really... I gotta go." She threw her arms down and turned away from him.

    He reached out and touched her shoulder, just wanting to hold her and tell her it was okay, but she pulled away in obvious pain.

    "Pam, wait."

    "No, I've been gone for awhile and Roy is probably wondering where I am. I didn't tell him I was coming here. He's probably worried."

    At the mention of Roy, Jim backed away from her and remembered his place in her heart. She would never be his and he couldn't change that.

    "Yeah, he's probably worried."

    "I'll talk to you later."

    She knew that wouldn't be true however, she knew that this was it, there wouldn't be a later. She stepped back into the truck and pulled the door tightly closed behind her. The key was still in the ignition and she turned it slowly, powering the vehicle back on.

    As she drove away, Jim just watched the tail lights disappear into the darkness.

 

End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 7 by dmscranton
Author's Notes:

How Pam breaks up with Roy.


    When Pam got home a little while later, Roy was relaxing on the couch his left arm slung over the back and his legs tossed up on the coffee table. She opened the door and startled him. He sat up quickly and brushed his hands over his shirt tossing crumbs onto the floor.
    "Hey babe, so... uh did you go talk to him?" He didn't stand up but just turned his body toward her.
    Pam nodded and set her purse down.
    "What'd he say?"
    She sighed and shrugged her jacket off of her shoulders while collecting her thoughts.
    "Apparently the Stamford branch has an Assistant Regional Manager's position, Jan thought of him."
    She rubbed her palms over her skirt fabric a few times, trying to rub some sort of sensation back in to her skin.
    "This is the first you heard of it? That doesn't seem cool."
    "Yeah, well I guess he didn't really know until last night and, um, Jan needed an answer. He just didn't have a chance to tell me, really."
    She was making excuses again. This time, however, she wasn't sure if it was to spare Roy or to spare her own feelings.
    "Hmmm."
    Roy turned back around to the television and turned the sound up. The room filled up with the sound of cheering and Pam continued her way down the hallway.
    "I'm going to get on the computer for a little bit."
    She called out to the living room. She wanted some peace and quite and to mull things over in her head. Roy didn't respond or get up, she knew that their little office was going to be all her's for at least an hour without interruption. When Roy got into a game he didn't come up for air until it was over.
    She flicked the light switch on and the lamp across the room lit up. A golden aura flooded the small space. It was a second bedroom that she tried to keep tidy and neat. There was a bookshelf, with novels and sketch books she'd accumulated over the years, in the corner. She remembers when she brought home her first figurative drawing book. Roy had given her such a hard time about it. He had snatched it from her hands and flipped through it briskly. He noticed the naked bodies passing by on the pages and he stopped and stared, teasing her for buying pornography. She tried to explain that it was art, at which time he replied "art fart". Roy never understood her, and she'd always known it, just never bothered to acknowledge it. Not until last night of course. Not until Jim put his hands on her face and held her so close that she realized maybe she should.


*****

    Pam sat Roy down in the living room just after breakfast Saturday morning. Each of them were sitting on an end of the couch. He curled up his left leg under his body and tossed his arm across the back of the couch, turning himself towards her. She sat with both feet planted firmly on the floor and her hands in her lap. Her fingers tightly gripping around each other, wringing them firmly.
    "Hey, babe. What's wrong?" He tilted his head in compassion.
    "We need to talk... about, us." She lowered her head down and stared at her hands.
    "What'd I do now?"
    "Nothing, no it's not like that. I-I don't think I can do this... anymore. I feel like we've grown apart."
    "What?"
    "Us Roy, I think it's time."
    "Wait... are you breaking up with me?" He raised his voice slightly, fear quivering in his words.
    She nodded, "Yes, but... Roy," Pam turned her head slightly to look at him, but her eyes stayed lowered; she couldn't bear to see the look on his face.
    "No. Wait... what's the deal? What's happened?"
    "We've changed Roy. I'm not that girl you met in high school... and you're not the boy, it's just it's different now. I think it's time."
    "No. No I can change, what do you want me to do? I'll do it, I'll be better whatever you need." He pushed himself up onto his leg, moving his large build closer to her.
    "There's nothing you can do Roy, it's over. I'm sorry." She stood up quickly and placed her face in her hands, crying as she ran down the hallway to the bathroom, slamming the door behind her.
    "NO! Pammy!" He called after her, but didn't follow.
    He sat on the couch for a few minutes trying to collect his thoughts and could hear her cries echo on the tile in the bathroom. He was stunned, shocked in fact. He never saw this coming; he never could have anticipated this move on her part at all.
    He stood up and walked solemnly to the bedroom. Pam could hear his large footsteps crossing the carpet as he passed by her. He reached into the closet and pulled down a duffel bag. Tossing it onto the bed and filling it with his work uniform, pants, socks everything he would need for a week away. After zipping the bag up and tossing it over his shoulder he stepped out of the bedroom door and stared silently at the bathroom. Wishing he could see her, somehow. He walked towards it and placed his large hand over the white paint, and leaned in towards it.
    "Pammy? I'm going to Kenny's for the week. I'm going to give you some time to think about this, I think that's all you need, time."
    Pam was on the other side mirroring Roy's actions. Her head leaning onto the door and her left hand pressing against the wood. Her engagement ring still on her finger, for now. She didn't speak, just heard his hand slide down and his feet walk away. The front door opened then shut and she heard the key turn in the lock.
    That was the hardest thing she ever had to do, and it was so simple, so few words, yet life altering. She had always imagined it a lot louder, a lot longer, a lot more exhausting but in reality it hadn't been. She carefully opened the bathroom door and peered out into the living room. He was gone. She walked out of the small space and went into her bedroom, reaching for the telephone. Silent tears were streaking her cheeks as she dialed.
    "Hello?"
    "Mom..."
    "Pam? Honey are you okay?"
    "Yes, it's over... Roy, I did it, he's gone." She pressed her fingers on her forehead and leaned forward, her fingers clutching the phone to her ear.
    "Honey, I'm planning on driving today to see you. I'll be there in a couple hours okay? Are you going to be home?"
    "Don't... don't do that mom, you don't need to come. I just sort of want to be alone... today."
    "Are you sure? What about tomorrow? You really shouldn't be alone right now Pam."
    "You're probably right but I just need to."
    "Have you spoken to Jim yet?"
    "No, not since Thursday. I'm not ready."
    "Thursday? Did you two talk it over? Wasn't he at work yesterday?"
    "No, he's gone too."
    "What?"
    "He's transferred, to Stamford. He's going to be their Assistant Regional M-Manager." She stuttered and felt more tears welling in her eyes, it was too much.
    "Wow, start from the beginning."
    "It's, so I was on the phone with you, he showed up in the office and he kissed me. I told him I was still marrying Roy, I don't know where that came from, and then he left, I went home. Uh... the next morning Michael said he was gone. Just like that mom. Just, just like that. He didn't tell me. He, he never said anything to me. He tells me he loves me and kisses me and then he leaves. I-I don't get it!"
    Her heart raced and anger began to build.
    "What the hell? He's my best friend and I thought I was his. There's no way that he didn't know about this job before Thursday. There just isn't! He had a doctor's appointment in the city last week. I bet it was an interview with Jan. Had to be. He's been planning this and then he springs his last move on me and then doesn't even give me a chance to think! What was I supposed to do? What did he expect of me mom?" She took a handful of deep breathes and just let the tears fiercely roll down her face.
    "Did you ask him?"
    "Well, I left work and ran to his place and he wasn't there, then I stupidly fell asleep in the truck. He showed up and woke me up and I... No, no I didn't ask him. You know how it is? I asked him about Stamford. He said that Jan offered it to him Wednesday night and that he needed to give her an answer. That's not how it works! I know he's been working on this. He said he just can't stay any longer. I didn't know, he never told me before. Well, maybe I knew. I don't know what I knew. I had felt it, I thought maybe but you know I was with Roy and sometimes he had a girlfriend and it... well, it was really easy to forget about Roy with Jim. Maybe it's my fault. I never established the right boundaries. What am I going to do mom? I just broke up with Roy so I can be with Jim and Jim leaves and we're not even talking. I'm an idiot."
    "Honey, you're not an idiot. Why don't you call Jim?"
    "I can't. I just can't. Oh crap, oh no."
    "What is it?"
    "The wedding... I-I have to cancel everything. I have to, mom do you think you can help? Will you come tomorrow? Yeah, I need to take care of everything soon. I can't do this."
    "I'll come over tomorrow but you don't need to do all of this at once. You're going to over do it, just relax today. Don't worry about anything."
    "Yeah, you're right I really shouldn't. No, you're right. Well I think I'm going to make myself a cup of tea and just sit on the patio out back. The air might be good."
    "Okay pumpkin, I love you. Call me if you need anything."
    "I love you too mom. Bye"
    "Bye."
    Pam set the phone back down on the nightstand and stared at the pattern of the bedspread for a moment. Then she fell forward crashing onto the soft mattress, face first, and continued to cry. She felt like she was purging every emotion she had held in for the past three years, finally cleansing the truth from her heart.
    The rest of her life had started on this day.
End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 8 by dmscranton
Author's Notes:

How Pam tells Roy she's moving out and how everyone finds out they've broken up.

 

Pam sat at her desk, later that week, in a constant daze. A smile never cracked her face no matter how hard Michael tried.

     Michael decided, just a few days after Jim left, that he didn't like how empty the space outside of his office was, so he made Ryan move out of the annex into Jim’s old desk. Michael was quick to move on, along with the rest of the Dunder-Mifflinites, but Pam could not.

    Every morning she would go to work early and hold her breath when she pushed the door open. The dark office welcomed her with silence, all the while her heart rate increasing when she stepped closer to her desk. She would raise her eyes up to Jim's old desk in anticipation, but every morning reality continued to stare back. He was never there; he was never waiting for her.

    She’d sadly sit down at her desk and pull up apartment listing websites on her computer. She’d take care of any and all business related to the wedding before her co-workers arrived between 8-9 am. She’d also check her email, constantly refreshing, just hoping for his name to show up in her inbox.

    It had been 16 days since Jim left when Pam decided she'd found the perfect apartment. She stopped by one Saturday on a whim and it had everything she wanted and was reasonably priced. The down-payment was within her price range and they had one available right away. She saw it as a sign, it really was time she left.

    Pam lined everything up with the move, before speaking to Roy. She knew his temper, knew him so well, she was afraid of how he'd react. He hadn't called since he left the other night after they "broke up" and she was scared at how he'd react when he saw she wasn't joking. It was the first time the thought of him hitting her actually crossed her mind. He'd always gotten upset and thrown items or broken dishes but he'd never touched her. She didn't know how she was going to go about telling him but she felt incredibly relieved to have her new place already set up before having to cross that hurdle. She had taken the opportunity of him out of the house, to start packing up her things.

    One night, while sitting on the floor of the living room, Pam heard Roy's truck pull into the driveway. When he entered the house, his footsteps were loud across the tile.

    "Pam?"

    "Hey." She turned around and tried to smile up at him.
    "What are you doing?" He looked around the messy living room cluttered with boxes, in confusion.

    She stammered on her breath trying to stop the words spilling from her lips.

    "I'm leaving."

    "Leaving? W-what? I thought you just needed some time." His voice hitching on the words.

    "No Roy." She turned away from him, her eyes falling to the floor in front of her. "I-I can't do it anymore."

    "Fuck, yeah whatever." He exhaled loudly and just shook his head in disbelief.

    "I'm sorry."

    "Sorry? Where are you going?" He demanded.

    "I found an apartment near work."

    "When are you leaving?"

    "Saturday."

    "This Saturday?"

    She nodded. "I'm sorry."

    "No you're not. What happened Pam? What happened between us? You can't even look at me."

    "It's just time Roy. We've grown apart. It's not the same anymore. I-I need to be alone."

    "What about me Pam? How do you think I'm supposed to deal with this? What am I going to do alone?"

    "You've got your brother, you'll be fine." She could feel him inching closer behind her.

    "Whatever. So you're going to pack up all your shit by Saturday? I'm not going to help you know? You want to leave, fine you leave, but I'm not helping you."

    "I know."

    "Who's coming over to help you? What about the wedding?"

    "I have it handled."

    "Oh, so you've been doing all of this behind my back? How long have you known Pam? How long have you decided this was over? Was it when Halpert left? Did he put you up to this?"

    "What? No, he didn't say anything about this. He doesn't even know. We don't talk anymore Roy, he's gone. This is about you and me, not Jim."

    "Yeah, right. Fuck it, I thought I'd come home and everything would be fine. I'm going back out." She heard his shoes swish on the tile. "Don't wait up, like you would anyway."

    Pam heard the truck door slam and the engine rev up in the garage. Then she watched the truck fly out by the window and down the road. She leaned her hands down into her face and cried. Tears flowing freely for the first time in a few days.

    A couple hours later she found herself in the kitchen washing a small amount of dishes, when she looked down at her hands and eyed the tiny engagement ring on her finger. She gripped it between her index finger and thumb and twisted it around delicately for a moment, then pulled it off freeing her skin from the mini-band. She lifted the ring up in front of her face and eyed it with a clear mind for the first time. She inspected how perfect it was for their relationship. It was cheap, small, and ugly. When Roy had given it to her it had been perfect. She didn't want anything flashy, in fact she hadn't even wanted anyone to notice. Now, however, it looked so sad and lonely. She set it on the kitchen counter and plunged her hands back into the water. The warm soapy liquid began washing away the tarnish of the ring, and any traces left of what Roy had been in her life.


*****


    If Pam had been a betting woman she would have laid it out that Kelly noticed first in the office that her ring was missing, however, she would have lost and lost big.

    "Pam."

    "Yes Angela." Pam looked up from her desk at the petite blonde accountant.

    "I noticed that you are no longer wearing your engagement ring. Has something happened?"

    Suddenly Pam could feel all the eyes in the office on her. Her cheeks flushed and heat rose up to her face. She swallowed hard and swiveled her chair over to face Angela on the other side of the small dividing wall.

    "Yes Angela, Roy and I have broken up. Anything else?"

    "I'm sorry to hear about that." Angela turned around avoiding anymore conversation.

    "What!?" Michael stepped from his office doorway just as Pam answered Angela. "You and Royster are over? Wow! Did you tell Jim?"

    Pam placed her hands back on her keyboard and looked down at the monitor. "No, I didn't."

    "Whoa! You should Pam, you know he had a thing for you? Whoops, never mind I didn't say anything. My bad!" Michael turned around and smiled.

    "Yeah, maybe."

    "Hey Pam." Kevin stood up from his desk. "I can tell him; he's still in my fantasy football league."

    Pam closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "Thank you Kevin but no; he doesn't care, it's fine. Just please, everyone please just... I don't want to talk about it."

    Kevin slowly sat down in his seat and eyed his phone.

    "You'll be alright Pamster. I mean look at me, we'll be a great single-pair. You and me, a duo-dynamic. Do you need somewhere to live? I have an extra room. I could even move the futon that's in the living room in there."

    "No, thanks Michael I already found an apartment. But if you really wanted to help me, you could help me move my stuff. I would be grateful." Normally she wouldn't want Michael anywhere near her things, or her mother, but she was short handed and could use the help.

    Michael's smile vanished and he looked away awkwardly. "Oh, yeah sure, when are you moving?"

    "Saturday."

    Dwight suddenly stood up from his desk and addressed Pam. "If you need my assistance I would be more than happy to lend a hand, and Michael I will pick you up so we can carpool. Your vehicle will not be sufficient in helping move items anyway and therefore would be a useless piece of machinery."

    Pam smiled wide. "Oooh, thanks Dwight that would be nice. That's really sweet of the two of you. I couldn't do it without you." She looked up at Michael and gave herself a silent pat on the back, success.

    "You got it Pam, anything I can do, you can count on me." Michael turned around and gave Dwight a frustrated look and walked back to his office.

    Phyllis slowly meandered up toward Pam's desk. Pam could feel her eyes on her. She looked up from her computer and smiled and slouched down into her chair.

    "Soooo Pam, since you're not going to be getting married would you be wanting to get rid of all of your stuff? I mean the magazines and contact information? I would be happy to take it off of your hands." Phyllis smiled brightly.

    "Sure Phyllis." Pam reached over to the bottom drawer of her filing cabinet and pulled out a notebook and a stack of wedding magazines. She dropped them onto the counter top and pushed them toward Phyllis. "Have fun."

    "Oh I will." Phyllis scooped the items into her arms and walked away.


*****


    Saturday went off without a hitch. Michael didn't drop anything, Dwight didn't scare her new neighbors, and Roy avoided all of it. Her mother  stayed over that night to help her get settled in and Pam was relieved. She found herself in a new place, sleeping on a new bed and the idea that she really left Roy hadn't sunk in yet. While lying alone in the dark empty room, Pam cried herself to sleep. She had never been on her own and she felt so lonely even with her mother in the living room. The idea of being completely alone scared her and she feared it would only get worse. Jim wasn't coming back and she knew that, there was no light at the end of the tunnel. What would she do?

    The next morning she sauntered out into her living room and found her mom tidying up some boxes.

    "Good morning dear."

    "So I was thinking last night." Pam stretched her arms wide over her head and yawned.

    "What's that?"

    "I think I'm going to take some art classes at the community college."

    "That's a great idea. You've always wanted to do more graphics stuff. Didn't you say DM had some sort of summer intern thing?"

    "Yeah but that was just for this summer. From the sounds of it our budget is overbloated and there might be some cutbacks going on. I wouldn't be surprised if that ended up being one of them for next year. It's alright though. I'll get into these classes and maybe I can find a job doing some graphic design work in New York."

    "Are there still talks of downsizing around there?"

    "A little bit here and there. If anything, it'll be Scranton. With Michael and all, I'm surprised they haven't shut us down yet."

    "Do you want some tea or coffee?" Her mom stood up from the couch and headed into the kitchen.

    "Sure, some tea would be lovely."

    "So, have you heard from Jim yet?"

    "No mom" Pam sighed, she knew exactly what her mother was trying to accomplish with that line of questioning.

    "Well?"

    "I'm not calling him. He obviously needs a break, and honestly so do I. I'm just going to enjoy this new life, try and go out and do things and not think about it."

    "Well maybe it'll be good for you to be single for awhile. I don't want you to jump right into another relationship anyway. You haven't been given the chance to blossom yet. Here." Her mother handed her a large ceramic mug.

    "Thanks. Yeah, I think I'm going to enjoy this for a bit, we'll see what happens. Maybe I'll even buy new clothes and try some things with my hair. I was starting to feel like a bum lately."

    "Well you know I love you no matter what."

    "Yeah I know. Well I think I'm going to work on some stuff in the bedroom. Are you going to keep working on this stuff in here?" She motioned to the boxes piled up in the middle of the floor.

    "Yep, I'm going to keep working on it."

    "Alright." Pam walked back into her bedroom and smiled. She stood in the doorway for a moment and eyed the bare white walls. They were her walls, they weren't their walls or Roy's fiancee's walls, they were Pam's. She could close her eyes and envision how she wanted it to look, and she knew that she could actually do it. Her smile spread so wide she bit her bottom lip with glee.

    Maybe it was going to be alright after all.

 

End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 9 by dmscranton

Chapter 9

    Weeks had passed since Jim left and Pam was getting more comfortable in her surroundings. She did still have a few instances where her initial reaction was to turn to Jim and laugh or look up at his desk to get his attention, but even those instincts were waning. Everyone in the office had respected her wishes and left her alone about Roy, mostly. Michael of course was always trying to get her to go out with him but it was a sad attempt to say the least.

    Roy had tried calling a few times but she never picked up. His voicemails were often a roller coaster of emotions. He'd go from screaming at her to breaking out in tears to begging her to come back. He ended up going through a rough patch and was arrested for a DUI. He had turned into something so pathetic Pam tried to avoid any contact with him at all. She evaded ever having to go to the warehouse and tried to park on the opposite side of the lot as him. He hadn't made the break up easy and was often tugging at her heart strings. She didn't like what he'd become. She felt some what responsible for his downward spiral and she'd often have to give herself peptalks reminding her of the terrible life she used to lead. She didn't want to go back to that; she didn't want to live that way any longer. It usually worked, until the next time he'd call and leave another wailing voicemail. Which, ironically enough, is what she probably would've sounded like if she had ever decided to call Jim, so she was lenient on Roy.

    Eventually her mom stopped asking about Jim and Pam continued to avoid conversations where his name would come up. She missed him terribly. Not only because she loved him but he had been her best friend for years and they talked every day, now he was gone. The void that he left within her made her feel so alone sometimes. She would go home from a long lonely day at work and step into an empty apartment. The nonethingness of her life was starting to consume her.

    She had overheard Dwight reading a letter he'd received in a package from Jim one day at work, and it brought a smile to her face and an ache in her chest. She used to know everything. She would've been heavily involved in that prank a year ago and now she had to overhear it from the victim himself. The thought of him still pulling pranks made her wonder if he was getting along well in Stamford. Was he pulling pranks there? Was there a Dwight there? Was there a Michael? Or a Pam? That last one always stung when it crossed her mind. There's no way he could've moved on, she would think. But just the idea that he could move on was heartbreaking.

    She'd stopped walking into the office expectantly, she stopped feverishly refreshing her email, and her stomach stopped lurching every time the phone rang. She was living with his absence and trying to get used to the way it would be from now on. She realized that she needed to live her life no matter if Jim returns or not. She needed to stop living her life for the men she had loved. She couldn't be the Roy-Pam and she wouldn't be the Jim-Pam, she needed to be 100% Pam.

    She decided to look into art classes at the community college, like she had suggested to her mother the morning after her move. They had night classes and the pricing was decent so she went for it. She wasn't a spontaneous type of girl and she often continued on the path her life was leading, hence staying with a man she didn't truly love for 10 years, but she was trying to be brave. She was trying to venture into the world with a fresh outlook on life and it seemed to be working.

    When this new "adventure" started for her a few months earlier she didn't know how to function. She didn't know what to do at work, without Jim, and didn't know what to do at home, without Roy. Since then, she was able to find her own groove. She visited local area coffee shops and bookstores. She would visit the poetry readings on the weekends and tried to find the artist within herself. She opened herself up to meeting with some of her classmates after class to get a drink or to grab some food. She was truly enjoying herself and it was completely refreshing.

    She started decorating her apartment to her tastes. At first it was difficult for her to get used to not having to compromise. She had been trying to please another person for so long that her intial reactions were never to get exactly what she wanted. That eventually passed and she loved the idea of having the things she wanted. She ate what she wanted. She shopped where she wanted. She watched the movies she wanted. Even though she had a bit of an incident confusing 28 Days with 28 Days Later, it was still her fault and she loved it.

    Work was getting more comfortable as well. She still enjoyed her role in Michael's development as a human being. She found it endearing that one time he really wanted to adopt a child but didn't reliaze that you couldn't give the child back once you were done with it. That was so Michael and she was starting to enjoy that again. Dwight was still his annoying self and everyone was perfect in their own way. She even allowed Kelly to set her up on a date. Yes, a true date date.

    She hadn't been on a date in... well ever and she wasn't sure how to go about it. Thankfully Kelly offered herself and Ryan to tag along just to keep it comfortable. Too bad they were cuddling all night and the guy looked down her top, but it still gave her ego a bit of a boost. She found herself walking taller and actually making eye contact with guys at the grocery store. She liked the idea that men found her attractive. She never imagined that anyone, other than Roy, would ever see her that way and it made her feel good.

    Just after the date debacle, Pam let Kelly order her some new clothes online. They were a bit more risque than she liked and she definitely wouldn't be wearing them around her creepy co-workers, but at least now when she would go out with her classmates she could wear something sexy. Of course she wouldn't be interested in anybody that came up to her in a bar, but it would still feel nice to be noticed.

    She was spreading her wings.

    She was living her own life.

    She was loving every second of it.

 

End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 10 by dmscranton
Author's Notes:

Wow, I'm finally finished!! I wanted to thank those of you that have stuck with this, or have found it in the last few updates. I appreciate everyone reading and reviewing it means the world to me. This has been an interesting (writing) journey for me. For those of you that visit the MTT boards or have been around in the last year you might understand why. :)

So here it is the last chapter, taking place during Initiation.

 

Chapter 10.

    The day had been as normal as it could be in her world. She had tried everything in her power to get Michael to accomplish some actual work. As much as he acted like a child, he was a good guy and ultimately a pretty good boss. Corporate had asked her to keep an eye on him and mark down everything he did all day. They were watching him; they were preparing for the downsizing and she knew it. It was too bad that this was also the day the pretzel vendor showed up at the business park. Sugar plus Michael was a terrible combination. He slept for most of the afternoon and she didn't think dreaming nor drooling was what corporate was looking for on his task sheet. But the man always has an ace up his sleeve. He had surprised her with a major sale at the end of the day, and she had felt an overwhelming sense of pride when she saw the fax in the basket. He had acted so nonchalant about it too, but he didn't know how important that sale had been. How utterly important it was for his job's sake.

    She was just about to leave when the phone rang. She had forgotten to turn it off so she picked it up and just answered "Dunder Mifflin". The voice on the other line wasn't expecting to hear her and she wasn't prepared for his.

    "Ah, hey." His stomach dropping to his feet.

    "Oh my God." She was embarrassed that that was her initial reaction, but it was true and realistic. She was happy to hear from Jim; she had just wished that he had intended to talk to her in the first place but she would take what she could get.

    They awkwardly said hello and avoided the ever present elephant in the room. Jim felt the overwhelming urge to explain himself and Pam just enjoyed hearing his voice. She explained why she had stayed late and having to log Michael's tasks for the day and they fell easily back into the groove. She asked him what time it was. It was funny because he was only over one state but it felt like a world away. Then, in the perfect way he does, Jim made it all better. He drew her attention away from the obvious, they avoided what they really wanted to say and joked around instead. It was their way and they perfected it so cleverly over the years that it was as easy as breathing.

    He'd lob up a softball and she'd swing hard. They laughed, joked, and shared the banality of their lives. Never delving into truly serious manners, they made it easier for each other to enjoy the conversation. They both forgot that they were still at work. They forgot they were sitting at their desks surrounded with the world of Dunder Mifflin. They shared stories, new stories, where the other wasn't involved. She told him about the Gaydar and how perfectly it had worked. He told her about the faxes he continued to send to Dwight in a never ending prank to screw with his head. They spoke of how different the offices were without the other, but never truly said how much they missed one another. They were both cautious to keep their hearts close to their chests.
   
    Jim explained how different Stamford was. They played team building video games and everyone got so into it. He said in reality, Dwight should've been the one to get the job, he would fit perfectly. There was a co-worker of his named Andy that was the perfect match for Dwight and maybe one day the two would get together. Jim explained how cosmically the two would be a great match. Pam told Jim about the funeral they had held for a dead bird that was in the parking lot. Pam said she gave the best eulogy of her life and only wished that at the next animal's funeral she could be half as good.

    They talked for hours, and eased back into eachother's hearts. They could've sat there all night, reveling in one another's voices but the conversation was awkwardly interrupted by Ryan and Dwight, Pam becoming distracted. Jim suddenly felt the overwhelming sensation of dread when she wasn't answering him. He saw that as the perfect opportunity to hang up. He knew if he didn't sieze it, he would get wrapped up again and he needed to let her go. How he missed her.

    She was surprised that he needed to hang up. She hadn't even imagined he had a life outside of work, or her, but it made sense. It had gotten late and she had already missed her Figurative Drawing class and didn't mind. When they hung up she was surprised at herself for not feeling upset. She had expected when her and Jim finally spoke she would end up in tears, that wasn't the case. She enjoyed catching up. She loved hearing him again and would continue to miss him, but this was the final nail in the old Pam coffin. He had called her Fancy New Beesly and maybe he was right. She was feeling fancy and new lately and she rather enjoyed it.

    The conversation was a perfect way to end their relationship. If she never got the chance to see him again, it would be okay. If he never called again, it would be okay. No matter where her life was headed, at this moment, she didn't care and that was okay.

 

End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2558