Not on a Bet by Becca Lavender
Summary: Jim just can't turn down a dare.
Categories: Jim and Pam, Present Characters: Dwight
Genres: Humor
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 2720 Read: 6059 Published: September 09, 2007 Updated: September 14, 2007
Story Notes:
For some reason while watching my S3 DVDs, as I had this sudden great yearning to see Jim go hunting with Dwight. I just couldn't figure out how to get him out there.

But what if Pam dared him? That's really just too powerful of a motivation, isn't it?

1. The Dare by Becca Lavender

2. No Deer Harmed in the Writing of this Story by Becca Lavender

3. Not Backing Down by Becca Lavender

The Dare by Becca Lavender
Author's Notes:
This is set sometime after The Job, with the assumption that Jim and Pam are a couple. Will they still have to mess with Dwight, and with each other once they find happiness? I think the answer is a resounding yes. So, please enjoy!
Jim is leaning over the reception desk talking with Pam, a habit that he hasn't broken since they started dating. He had thought maybe he wouldn't have such a need to conspire with him once he saw her frequently outside of the office, but he had been very wrong.

Pam was definitely what kept things lively for him at Dunder-Mifflin. Well, Dwight's presence helped in its own way.

Dwight had come in with a rifle that morning, and it stood leaning against Dwight's desk. Toby had immediately walked up to Dwight when he entered with it, but seemed defeated before he even started. Jim had known it had been a mistake to start down that slippery slope when Dwight had been allowed to keep the Christmas goose in the office.

"Dwight, c'mon. I already took your other weapons. You know a hunting rifle is not appropriate for the workplace."

"I am going on a hunting trip after work. I have always voiced my disapproval of the lackluster security at this office. This hunting rifle has been in the Schrute family for three generations, and is incredibly valuable," Dwight told him in his usual fashion.

"Is it loaded?" Toby asked.

"No, it is not."

"Fine, whatever. Just don't bring in any loaded weapons," Toby said with a sigh and walked back to his corner of the office.

Toby had missed it when Dwight had grinned evilly at the cameras and pulled ammunition out of his pocket. "It's not loaded...yet," Dwight told the cameramen within Jim's earshots. Jim gave the cameras the reaction they had expected.

"Seriously, Dwight. I don't want to look at a gun all day," Jim said, irritated.

"Fact: It is much more than a gun. It is a precision hunting instrument that could take down any predator in the blink of an eye. I am ready for the day to protect anything that comes at me or anyone at this office. Or to kill a deer this weekend."

"Can you please at least not load it? I really don't want to think of you with a loaded weapon," Jim said.

"That's what she said," Dwight told him with a grin.

Jim laughed. "I do imagine that is what most women would say to you."

Dwight looked confused and then realized what he had said. "Whatever. Toby told me I can keep the gun for the day. And you might need protection again, so you should be grateful."

Jim sighed, and decided to leave the conversation, which is when he had moved over to talk with Pam.

Pam smiled at him. "It looks like Dwight is armed and dangerous. Should I be worried for your safety?" Pam asked.

"I think so. Can you even imagine what he must be like out hunting?" Jim asked.

Pam giggled and leaned closer. "I think you should invite yourself along and see."

"Not even if you bet me ten thousand dollars, Beesly," he told her.

Pam then got a gleam in her eye, one that Jim years ago had learned meant trouble. "How about on a dare?"

"How old are we?"

"I think we deemed that question irrelevant to the world of dares. Suck it up and invite yourself on the hunting trip. I dare you," Pam said.

Jim looked at her, astonished. "You do understand this hunting trip will take the whole weekend, and we won't see each other at all?"

Pam shrugged her shoulders. "I think I'll manage. I'll kick back, watch some chick flicks and think of you out being the most manly man you can be. With Dwight," she smirked.

"You are unbelievable," Jim said. He was both appalled and awed.

"And I know he'll try and resist, so use some of those Halpert mind tricks on him to get him to agree," Pam told him. Jim felt his last argument go out the window.

Not believing he would actually do this, even on a dare, he approached Dwight.

"Hey, Dwight. I have a favor to ask you," Jim said.

"I do not do favors. If this is an order from you as ARM, I have no choice but to accept," Dwight told him.

"Well, it is not in my duty as ARM. But I do want to appeal to your sense of civic duty here."

Dwight looked skeptical, but a bit honored as well. "I'm listening."

"I am finding I am not much of a real man," Jim began.

"Duh," Dwight said. Jim clenched his jaw.

"One thing that makes me feel like less of a man is that I know nothing about guns or hunting, and I was hoping you could teach me," Jim said.

"And how does this appeal to my sense of civic duty? It sounds like you are just trying to prove yourself worthy of Pam. Which you're not, by the way," Dwight told him.

"I think it would behoove you and the office if there were more than one trained marksman that worked here. What if you weren't here one day?" Jim asked.

"Fact: I am always here. Except when I'm not, but then I would still have the Schrutte sense to get here quickly in a time of danger," Dwight told him.

"I'm sure that's true. But what about some backup for extreme situations, like multiple wolves?"

Dwight looked thoughtful. "It would be difficult to try and take down multiple wolves."

"Exactly. So what do you say?"

"I will train you this weekend. You will spend the weekend hunting deer with me. I hope you understand how valuable this training is," Dwight told him gravely.

"I do, and I'll find some way to pay you back," Jim told him.

"I will not accept anything. We have already discussed how a citizen does not take gifts or payment for being a good citizen," he told him.

Jim just nodded, trying not to groan in frustration.

He turned around and headed back to Pam's desk. "Tell Michael I had to take the afternoon off. It seems I am heading to the hunting section of Wal-Mart," Jim said.

Pam's eyes grew wide, and she covered her mouth so as not to laugh too hard.

"Yeah, it's all funny Beesly until someone gets killed. I am almost sure one of us won't make it back alive," Jim said.

"Oh, c'mon. I bet you'll just kill some deer. Then you guys can go an make some jerky out of it. I hear nothing bonds men like smoking meat," Pam told him, clearly enjoying his suffering.

"You had better be planning some wonderful reward for me after I fulfill this dare," Jim told her.

Pam shook her head. "I think this is a service to the office. And a citizen should not expect payment or rewards for being a good citizen."

Jim leaned in and kissed her lightly goodbye. "I really hate you."

Pam waved at him, amazed at the lengths this man would go to in order to make her happy.
End Notes:
I own nothing. Nothing at all.

Please let me know what you think!
No Deer Harmed in the Writing of this Story by Becca Lavender
Author's Notes:
This is just a little transitional chapter to set up the big trip. More to come soon!

I own nothing. It really makes me sad.
Jim was busy perusing the Hunting & Outdoors section at Wal-Mart when his cellphone rang. It was a Dunder-Mifflin call, so he figured it must be Pam.

He was stunned to hear the voice on the other end.

"Jim, this is Angela."

"Uh, hi. Is everything okay?"

"Everything's fine. I just heard that you are going hunting with Dwight. I have a proposition for you." Angela's voice sounded a little devious. Jim was intrigued.

"I know that you play stupid, immature pranks on Dwight all the time. I imagine this weekend will be no exception," Angela told him.

"I don't know if I would say they're stupid pranks...."

"Please, Jim. All pranks are stupid."

That settled that.

Angela continued on. "You know how strongly I feel about animals."

"Sure. I know you really love your cats and don't eat meat."

"I find killing animals reprehensible, and I think hunting is horrible and barbaric," Angela said.

"But Dwight loves it," Jim said, seeing if she would take the bait.

"Yes, he does," Angela said tersely.

"So, no offense here, but can you cut to the chase? I'm trying to decide if camouflage is needed this weekend."

"Yes, very well. I want you to do what you can to make sure no animals are killed this weekend. If you must make it into one of your pranks, so be it," Angela said.

"Wow. Am I supposed to keep this little conversation to myself?" Jim asked.

"For now. I plan to tell him after you thwart his hunting mission so he knows the extent of my disapproval," Angela told him.

Jim pondered this. He hadn't really thought at any point he would actually make it hunting. He felt fairly sure Pam would bail him out. But the thought of being on a mission fron Angela and the possibilities of messing with Dwight were beginning to make things more interesting.

Plus, he had an idea for payback for Pam.

"I will do my best, Angela. But only if you do something for me."

"Fine. What is it?"

"Pam is going to be alone this weekend now, and I know she'll get lonely. Can you make sure she's never alone all weekend?"

"I can do that," Angela told him.

"Excellent. Then I will make sure no deers are harmed during our deer hunting trip."

With that, there was a dial tone on the other end. Apparently Angela wasn't one for goodbyes.

Jim shook his head. It was going to be an odd weekend.
End Notes:
Thanks to those who reviewed! I really appreciate it.
Not Backing Down by Becca Lavender
Author's Notes:
Well, in my outline they left the office sooner, but this seemed like a more natural break. I promise the hunting trip actually begins next chapter!

I don't own any of them, or anything.
Jim went back to the office, feeling he had the proper supplies for his big trip with Dwight. Following Angela's phone call, he had a few plans to thwart the mission of hunting. He figured there would also be plenty of opportunities to mess with Dwight on the fly.

He tried to figure out why he was playing along with all this on a silly dare. It also seemed odd to actually head out with Dwight in his free time, voluntarily putting himself in his presence. Plus, it seemed a bit meaner to mess with him when he wasn't trying to just relieve the boredom.

After all, the last time he had been possessed to prank Dwight outside of the office he had found a hooker. It could also have possibly been Angela in retrospect, but he liked to believe that he had not seen Angela sprawled naked across a bed.

In this version of events, Jim could actually continue to look Angela in the eye when he turned in his expense reports.

Jim returned to the office just before 5, packed and ready to roll. Pam laughed when he saw him, gun slung over his shoulders.

"You're really going through with this," Pam said skeptically.

"Does the dare still stand? Have you not realized how much you'll miss me this weekend?"

Pam looked thoughtful. "Dare still stands. I think I will enjoy having some time to myself. You can be really exhausting, you know."

Pam smiled at him to show that she was teasing. But it was clear the dare still stood, and she was waiting to see if he would back down.

"Looks like I am hunting then. But don't be so sure you'll get any alone time."

Jim smiled broadly when Pam shot him a puzzled look.

"What do you mean?" Pam asked, looking worried.

"Let's just say I had a concerned animal lover calling on me to thwart Dwight's ability to actually kill anything. And I might have told said concerned animal lover how lonely you'd be without me."

Pam's jaw dropped. "You didn't!"

Jim just smiled and nodded.

As though summoned, Angela appeared. "W'hy do you have a gun?" she asked sternly.

"It's just a BB gun," Jim answered.

This statement brought Dwight out of the woodwork.

"Jim, why do you have a BB gun?"

"It's the only gun I have. I figured it was good enough. Is that a problem?"

Dwight let out a sigh. "You cannot carry something so weak into the wild. The animals will sense you can be taken, and they may attack. The gun levels the playing field. It's kill or be killed."

"With deer?" Jim asked.

"Deer can be quite vicious. Do you want to see the scars?"

Pam looked disgusted. "No!"

Angela was standing back, arms crossed and indignant. "I am going back to my corner now," she said tersely, without a glance at Dwight.

Jim and Pam looked at each other, and Jim shrugged.

"I guess some people don't like hunting, huh?" Jim prodded.

"A lot of people don't understand the beauty of strategically following prey through the woods, carefully analyzing its every move. Then you spot it in your line of sight, and pull the trigger, showing the animal who is stronger. It's a magnificent showing of power," Dwight said seriously, slightly awed by his own words.

"But isn't it really the gun that's powerful?" Pam asked.

"A common misconception. People created guns. Hence, people are powerful and therefore rule the animal kingdom."

"Yes, I see that now. I think there's a lot you can teach Jim," Pam told him earnestly.

"He clearly has a lot to learn. I don't know if I can teach him a lot of what I know, as it is the primitive Schrute instinct that makes us gifted hunters," Dwight said, looking at Jim skeptically.

Jim nodded, looking stoic. "I am ready to begin whenever you are."

"I have one more call to make, then we can leave," Dwight said, heading back to his desk.

Jim stayed at Pam's desk. "Wow. This might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever done."

Pam shrugged. "No, there was that one time.....No, you're right. I think it is the most ridiculous thing you've ever done."

"Well, you dared me. Have fun with Angela," Jim reminded her.

"That was a low move," Pam said, shaking her head. Then she was suddenly alert, and pointed at Jim. "Wait! Did you even know about them before?"

"Yes, unfortunately through an imagine that will remain in my head forever," Jim told her. "I know you had your suspicions before, but I didn't really believe it."

"It wasn't something I really wanted to discuss," Pam said, leaving it unspoken that she and Jim hadn't really been speaking much anyhow until recently.

"Beesly, I am not at all angry that we have never discussed this relationship. This power play call Angela made is really messed up. Maybe she'll share this weekend how she wields that power in other ways," Jim smirked at her.

"That's even lower. And gross."

"You started this, and now we're going down together," Jim told her.

"Have a good weekend," Pam said.

"You too," Jim told her.

It appeared neither of them was relenting, so Jim went to see if Dwight was ready. Which he was, and then some.

"Luckily, I have another rifle I can let you use in my car. It is nowhere near the quality of my rifle, but it will suffice. And you will need to wear camouflage. "

"Okay. I also have one of those orange vests, so you won't shoot me," Jim said.

"I am far too well-trained with superb vision for that to happen. I would never shoot you. By accident, that is." Dwight shot the cameras a sly look.

"Are they coming too?" Dwight asked, his head angling towards the camera.

Jack, one of the cameramen, answered. "I drew the short straw."

"Excellent. I have both a witness and someone to call for help in case I end up shot."

"Likewise," Jack said.

"Well, let's get this show on the road!" Jim said, slinging his BB gun over his shoulder, along with his backpack crammed with all his trip essentials.

Dwight glared at him, shaking his head at Jim's BB gun.

Jim waved goodbye to Pam on his way out. "Don't feel too guilty when you're giving my eulogy."

Pam just smiled and waved back. Angela had crept up to the middle of the office, and caught his eye. She raised an eyebrow at him, looking stern. Jim returned her look, and nodded once. Angela then slowly smiled, looking alarmingly sinister.

Jim just prayed that Dwight wasn't going to be in a sharing mood this weekend. The more he saw, the less he wanted to know.
End Notes:
Next, as promised: A huntin' we will go!

Please tell me what you think. This has been a bit tricky for me, as I don't want to lose the reigns and go too over the top, given that the situation is fairly ridiculous to begin with. But I do find Dwight's hunting obsession and Angela's vegetarianism to be interesting, and I also just got this image of Jim and Dwight hunting in my head and it wouldn't leave.

Anyhow, with all that, I hope you're enjoying it!
This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2570