Playing Catch-Up by McGigi
Past Featured StorySummary: Pam wishes she had loved Jim all her life, and Jim rises to the challenge. Pure fluff.
Categories: Jim and Pam, Present Characters: None
Genres: Childhood, Fluff, Weekend
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: Yes Word count: 10255 Read: 21356 Published: September 10, 2007 Updated: September 19, 2007
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
***********

This will be a five or six part story; I got the idea awhile ago and am just now running with it. It'll be fluffity fluff fluff, because why not?

*************

1. Prologue by McGigi

2. The Early Years by McGigi

3. The Awkward Years by McGigi

4. The High School Years by McGigi

5. The College Years by McGigi

6. Epilogue: The Present by McGigi

Prologue by McGigi

"I wish I would have loved you my whole life."

Jim rolled over and looked at her, his brow furrowed, and a slight look of amused confusion played across his face. She smiled slightly wistfully and spoke again.

"I wish we wouldn't have wasted so much time, I wish I could have shared all my life with you, not just the past month."

Jim smiled. "Month and eighteen days, thank you very much, and we shared four years before that, don't forget. It might not have been ideal, but I was there."

Pam snuggled into him and felt his arms circle her waist. "I know," she said, "It's just wishful thinking. I'm just loving every moment of this, and I think it would've been so nice to have loved you forever."

She felt laughter rumble in his chest, and felt his arms squeeze a little. "Now, Jim, please don't get started on how what has happened in our lives makes us who we are and all of that and how we shouldn't regret the past, and blah, blah, blah- Hey!" she giggled as the arms began to tickle her. He stopped and she caught her breath. "Just let me be faux-nostalgic tonight."

"Ah, fauxstalgic. Very important emotion. "

"Yes, it is, and now I'm picturing hopelessly dorky Jim and Pam in junior high. That would have been fun," she murmured, starting to drift off to sleep.

"Maybe it would have been fun for you, but I was terrified of girls in junior high, so it would have been a very unbalanced relationship, and not just due to the fact that I was four foot ten, " he whispered in her ear, and she smiled as she fell asleep.
The Early Years by McGigi
Nearly five weeks later, Pam found a note on her desk, addressed to PAM in big crayon letters. She opened it and read, "Pam: Be outside your place at 10 a.m. sharp tomorrow for mysterious Pre-Birthday Extravaganza. Bring nothing with you, all you need will be provided. From the Committee for Fun Birthdays." She smiled over her desk at Jim, who shrugged and said, "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"What should I wear?" she asked the back of his neck, and he swiveled back around. "If I had any idea what you were talking about, I'd say just wear whatever you feel comfortable in," he said, and she grinned. "Duly noted," she said, and tried for the rest of the day to concentrate on her work. It was difficult to do, she thought, when one's boyfriend was so easy to look at, and when one's boyfriend apparently had a birthday surprise planned. This would be the first birthday they'd share together, and she had wondered what he might come up with. Jim wasn't the 'sweater and CD' type, she thought, and this made her love him even more.

*

The next morning, Pam was waiting on the front steps of her apartment at ten minutes to ten. The air was crisp in an early-fall way, and she was glad she had her sweatshirt. She grinned as Jim drove up and climbed out of his car. She stood up and moved to kiss him, but he stopped her. “None of that yet," he said, holding out his hand. "Keys please. I'll be right back."

She watched as he disappeared inside her building and reappeared a few moments later with a duffel bag. She knew better than to try to find out what was inside, so she just followed him to the car. He unlocked her door and grinned at her with such an excited face that she laughed. "Are you sure I can't kiss you? Because you're pretty adorable right about now," she said, and he shook his head. "All in good time,” he replied, and she got in the car.

Once inside, he tied a blindfold around her eyes, and she wondered what was going on. "This is pretty kinky," she joked, and Jim patted her knee. "Not really, you'll see, but I think you're going to like it."

She felt him turn corners and speed up and felt him stop at stop signs. They slowed down a bit, so she thought maybe they were in a residential area. "You're not taking me to the beet farm, are you?" she asked, “Because that would be the saddest birthday ever."

"You better behave yourself, or that's where you'll end up. It's not the beet farm, but we're here," he said, and she felt the car stop. He opened her door and helped her out. "This way," he said, and she felt his hand on her lower back. She felt grass under her feet and heard the creak of a metal gate. Then Jim was standing behind her and taking her blindfold off. She looked around. "My old elementary school?" she asked, looking around. "What's going on?"

Jim smiled and looked almost nervous. "We're making up for lost time. This is me loving you forever." He looked at her and she wanted to cry. He had remembered their conversation and didn't think it was silly, which meant more to her than he knew. She opened her mouth to say something, anything, but Jim reached over and tapped her on the arm. "Tag! You're it!" he said, and took off onto the playground.

She ran after him, but his legs were so much longer. He ran around the monkey bars and past the giant oak tree, but stumbled over a tree root, and she was able to tag him back. He chased her, but she changed direction often, trying to make up for her shorter legs with unpredictability. Dwight would be so proud of her. Jim finally caught up to her, and slapped her arm. "Ha!"

She tumbled to the ground, out of breath and banging her knees onto the dirt. Jim collapsed beside her, also out of breath. "Are you thirsty?" he asked, and she nodded. "Meet me at the swings," he said, getting up again. She dragged herself up again and watched as he jogged to the car, rummaging in the trunk. She sat on a swing as he walked back over and handed her a juice box.

"This is great, I haven't had Hawaiian Punch in forever," she said, draining the straw and swinging idly. "Hawaiian- punch!" Jim said, punching her lightly on the arm. "Ow!" she said, throwing the empty juice box down and jumping up. "Now you get a Hertz donut from me," she said, punching him on the arm, and he ran away laughing.

"Stop and close your eyes," he called, and she did. "Count to a hundred!"

"One, two, skip a few, ninety-nine, one hundred!" she yelled out, opening her eyes. Jim was gone, as she had fully expected, and she began to jog around to look for him. There were a few places that could hide someone as tall as him, so she approached each of them cautiously, feeling that nervous feeling she always used to get during hide-and-seek. He wasn't behind the huge oak tree, and he wasn't behind the maple, and as she passed the weather-beaten cabinet that contained the tetherballs and jump ropes, he leapt out from behind and yelled "Boo!"

Pam jumped and ran after him, trying to hit him, but he dodged out of the way. "Your turn to hide," he called, jogging over to the fence. "You forget that I went here, I'm the hide and seek expert! I OWN this school!" she yelled after him, and she heard him laugh. She had forgotten how much she had liked this game, and when his eyes were covered, she ran lightly over to the play structure. She climbed silently up the ladder and folded herself into the fort at the top of the slide.

"Ready or not, here I come!" Jim called from a distance, and she waited silently. It was a few moments before his face appeared at the slide. "You're good, I never would have tried to fit in there," he said, and she grinned triumphantly. "Come on down and I'll push you on the swing," he said. She slid down the slide and followed him over to the swingset. She sat down on a swing, and waited expectantly. Jim reached into his pocket and pulled something out. "I know it's a little late, or maybe really early, but here's this," he said, handing her a little white envelope. She opened it, and found a little paper valentine that said, "Will you bee my Valentine? Jim"

"Aww, it says bee and there's a picture of a bee on it," she said in her best Ralph Wiggum voice. "Naturally. That's the only way I can show you that I like you," said Jim, moving behind her and grasping the swing chains. "Are you ready for your underdog?"

He pushed her as high as he could, and she felt herself soaring through the air. It had been far too long since she'd been on a swing, and now she remembered why she played on the swings every day as a child. Jim hopped onto the swing next to her and kicked off. Soon, he was swinging as high as she was. "This is so cool," he called out. "I know, I haven't been on the swings in forever,” she answered.

Their swinging synched up and she found herself looking right at him as they swung together. "Uh-oh, you know what they say when swings match up," she said, and then stopped talking when she realized what she'd have to say. "What?" asked Jim, and she felt her face get a little red. "It means we're married."

"Hmm, interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I swing with Dwight," he replied, and she was gratified to see that his face was slightly red as well; she felt her stomach flip pleasantly in the way it did whenever they broached the subject of the future.

"Did you pack me a lunch?" she asked, partly to change the subject and partly because she was hungry. "Better than that," answered Jim, dragging his feet into the woodchips, and Pam did the same. She felt windswept and exhilarated as she jumped off the swing. Jim picked up the juice boxes and threw them out as they walked toward the sidewalk. "Hey, I give a hoot," he said in response to Pam's approving smile.

They walked up the sidewalk to the main road, and Jim grinned down at her. "Can't I please give you a kiss?" she pleaded. "No, kissing is gross. But we have to cross the street, so you can hold my hand," he said seriously. She reached for his hand, but he pulled it away first. "Just a moment," he said, tracing a circle on his palm with his other pinky. "Circle, circle, dot, dot, now I've got the cootie shot," he said. Pam snorted, and Jim raised his hands in mock surrender. "Hey, I've got a niece, I know all the tricks," he said, and she laughed, taking his hand in hers.

She had almost forgotten how nice it was just to hold hands, and she swung their hands back and forth as they headed towards what she thought was their destination. "Only the McBest for my girl," said Jim as he held the door open. He directed her toward a table, assuring her he'd take care of the food, and she wasn't surprised at all when he showed up with three Happy Meals. "Three?" she asked as he sat down. "I'm a very big kid," he explained, "but you can steal some McNuggets."

They ate their food and played with the cheap plastic toys; Pam ran her Hot Wheels all over the table until the wheels fell off, and Jim primped his tiny Barbie. "I'll leave it on Dwight's desk," he said, slipping it into his pocket.

"Are you finished?" he asked, and when Pam nodded, he cleared their trays and looked up front. The bored teenagers working the counter weren't watching, and Pam was startled when Jim grabbed her hand and pulled her into the Play Place. "Come on, while they're not looking," he whispered, shutting the door behind them and slipping off his shoes. Pam grinned and pulled off her tennis shoes and followed Jim into the ball pit. "You realize that we're going to catch so many diseases from this," Jim said to her, and she answered by chucking a ball at him. "Thank you, Dwight, for the informative PSA."

"No, if Dwight were here, he'd already have charts and would be taking samples from the balls!"

"Ha, you said balls!"

"Wow, when did Michael get here?" asked Jim, looking around in fake consternation as an employee opened the door to the Play Place. "Sir, ma'am, you'll have to get out of the ball pit. This is for children ten and under," she said without a smile.

"Oh, yes, we're sorry. We were just looking for...our child's shoe. Little Michael lost his shoe in here yesterday," said Jim, and Pam grinned, though she tried not to. The employee had clearly heard this before, since she didn't say anything, just continued to stand at the door. They sheepishly climbed out and put their shoes on, then ran out the door and back outside.

"Awesome, we almost got a lifetime ban from McDonald's! That would have gone really well with my lifetime ban from Chili's," said Pam as they headed back toward the elementary school.

"I hope you start collecting lifetime bans from mediocre chain restaurants," said Jim, grinning, "That would be quite the accomplishment."

"Also, Little Michael? That would be quite a child."

"Yeah, well, I came up with that really quickly, I was doing improv, like Little Michael himself," said Jim, "Besides, I feel like we're all Michael's parents sometimes."

Pam laughed and took his hand again. "Jim, this is so great. I'm having so much fun with you. Thank you for my present," she said, smiling up at him. He squeezed her hand and replied, "Well, the day isn't over yet. We've only covered up to, what, sixth grade? We've got a lot left."

She squeezed his hand in return and they headed toward the car, running like a pair of children.

End Notes:
I hope everyone's enjoying this, since I'm having a lot of fun writing it. I'm not sure if other people have heard the whole 'married when the swings sync up' thing, or the cootie shot. Was I a crazy child? Do other people remember that?
The Awkward Years by McGigi
Author's Notes:
I'm having way too much fun writing this, and I'm glad people are enjoying it!
Back in the car, Pam buckled herself in and Jim handed her the blindfold. "It's protocol. The Committee for Fun Birthdays requires a blindfold during any mode of transportation," he explained, tying it behind her head and fluffing her hair out.

"Thanks for the help," she said, trying to smooth it back down. She heard him slide a CD into the player as he started the car, and she laughed when Green Day filled the car. "God, I haven't heard this in so long," she said, bobbing her head, "This was the first CD I ever bought with my own money."

"I won't ever tell you what mine was," said Jim, "but it might actually rhyme with 'Schmatman Schmeturns'." Pam laughed again, disappointed that she wasn't allowed to see the gleeful smile she was sure played across Jim's face. "Wow, you really were so dorky," she giggled, "We really would have been perfect for each other."

"Ah, yes, I've seen the photos of 1993 Pam," he said, and she felt the car come to a stop. "Speaking of whom, put this on," he continued, and she felt him reach into the backseat and heard him root around in the duffel bag. He dropped something soft in her lap, and she pulled it on.

He got out of the car and opened her door. She had a shrewd idea where they might be, and Jim did not disappoint as he untied the blindfold. She smiled at the sight of her former junior high school, which hadn't changed a bit since she'd been there, right down to the garbage on the sidewalk.

She looked down and saw that she was wearing a plaid flannel shirt, and she laughed aloud when she saw that Jim had pulled on a Pearl Jam t-shirt. He grinned at her. "You look exactly the same as your eighth grade school picture," he said happily.

"Hey, grunge was great, I got to wear my dad's old flannels," she replied, swatting the blindfold at him. "That behavior is acceptable, because we're in junior high," he said, checking his watch.

"Let's go here first," he continued, pointing down the block to a party store. They headed down the sidewalk, and Jim rummaged in his pocket. "This place got busted for selling cigarettes to eighth graders the year after I left," said Pam.

"It's nice to see they're still in business, " replied Jim, handing her three dollars. "This is your slush and candy allowance."

Pam accepted the money as they walked into the dingy interior and faced a wall of candy. "Ooh, this is hard," said Pam, surveying the candy. "That's what she said," said Jim, grinning devilishly. "I don't know what I feel like having," she said.

"That's what she said!"

She shot him a devilish look of her own. "Really, are you twelve?"

"Hey, I'll keep it going til you stop," he said, and she yelled, "That's what she said! Ha!" and Jim blushed, not even realizing that he had walked right into it. "You're good, I'll have to give you that," he said, smiling.

"That's what she said."

He laughed again, and Pam snickered, "I was just about to make a joke involving hard candies and sucking, but even that's too much for me." Jim grabbed her around the neck with his forearm and pulled her into a noogie. Her face smushed into his arm, and he rubbed her hair up to a frizz before she pulled free, laughing. He checked his watch again.

"Let's get our candy before I'm tempted to kiss you," he said, which made her blush. "Unreleased sexual tension is a main cause of noogies in the junior high set, and actually kissing would throw off the data."

Pam smiled to herself as she picked out her candy. Skittles for sugary, M&Ms for chocolate, and a Payday for salty sounded perfect to her. She found Jim at the slush machine, filling two cups. "I mixed every flavor," he said, handing her a cup. "Of course you did," she replied as she paid for her food.

Back outside, Jim sat down on the low brick wall by the parking lot. "I'll trade you a handful of M&Ms for some Sprees," said Pam, immediately coveting Jim's candy. "Okay, but the ratio of M&Ms to Sprees is higher, since there are a lot less Sprees in here," he answered, tossing three Sprees into her palm. She rewarded him with six M&Ms, and they began to eat.

It was hard to talk with so much candy in their mouths, so they sat in silence for a few moments, idly banging their feet against the wall and chewing. It was such a beautiful day, and Pam still couldn't believe what Jim was doing for her. The best part of it all was that it all came so naturally; she didn't feel as though she were pretending to be a kid, she really felt as she had when she was younger. It was all Jim's doing, she thought, he was the one who had a knack for making things perfect.

Jim jumped off the wall after one last look at his watch. "Come on, Candy Monster," he said, smiling at her with blue stained teeth. She snickered at him and threw the last of her Skittles at his chest. They threw out the candy wrappers and empty slush cups and walked back toward the school.

As it was Saturday, the school lawn should have been empty, but as they approached, Pam could see a girl standing by the main sign. "Jim?" she asked, slightly puzzled, "Why is my cousin Morgan here?"

"She's right on schedule, that's perfect. I needed a thirteen-year-old's help. Stay there, please, Pam, and await further instruction," Jim said, quickening his pace over to Morgan. Pam watched as he reached into his pocket for something, which he gave to her.

As Morgan headed toward Pam, Pam saw her aunt Liz's car waiting on the other side of the street, and her aunt Liz and Pam's mom were both inside, giving her the thumbs up and grinning broadly.

"Hey Morgan," she said to her cousin. "Hi Pam," said Morgan, looking a little skeptical. "This is from Jim Halpert." She handed Pam a folded up note; Pam unfolded it and read, "Dear Pam, will you go with me? Please check yes or no and send the note back with Morgan. From Jim H." Morgan wordlessly handed Pam a pencil, and Pam hitched her knee up to rest the paper on her leg. She scratched out the box marked 'yes' and wrote in 'Absolutely I will.'

She folded the note back up and handed it and the pencil back to Morgan who shook her head. "You guys are so weird," she said, but she was smiling, looking slightly embarrassed. "Thanks, Morgan," Pam said as her cousin headed back toward Jim. Pam watched as Jim read the note and was gratified that he smiled so widely.

Morgan hung back a little as Jim walked over to Pam. "Since we're officially boyfriend-girlfriend now, will you come with me? It's very important," he said, motioning toward the door. Jim held it open for Pam, and she looked surprised. "It's unlocked; there's continuing education classes down the hall right now," he explained, "but I don't think we'll be disturbed where we're going."

Morgan followed them inside, and Jim led them across the hall and into the dimly lit gym. Pam saw a CD player on a card table next to a small disco light, and she understood what was happening. "Have a seat," Jim said, indicating the lowest row of bleachers. Pam sat and watched as Morgan crossed over to the table; clicked on the disco light and pressed play on the CD player. 'Love Hurts' poured from the speakers, and Pam smiled in anticipation.

Jim motioned Morgan over, whispered to her, and she crossed over to Pam. "Jim wants to know if you'll dance with him," she asked, and Pam smiled at Jim, who had followed Morgan.

"Thanks for your help, Morgan, you're the best," Jim said, and Morgan headed toward the door, fully smiling now. She shot Pam a happy glance before leaving and shutting the door behind her.

"Will you?" asked Jim, holding his hand out. Pam stood and was surprised that she felt almost shy. This would be their first real time dancing together and somehow the junior high theme fit perfectly. She slid her arms onto his shoulders, cupping his neck slightly. He put his hands on her wait, holding her at a distance, and as they swayed to the music, she looked up at him.

"This is the first song I ever danced to with a boy," she said quietly, and Jim smiled. "I know, I heard rumors," he said softly and she felt his hands squeeze her waist slightly. Pam closed her eyes and moved with the music, amazed that the song still gave her a funny feeling in her stomach.

The song ended and Eric Clapton's 'Wonderful Tonight' started, and Pam moved a little closer to Jim. "Don't get ahead of yourself," he said anxiously, "I heard you can get pregnant from dancing too close."

"Thanks, Angela," Pam said softly, but it was hard even to joke when Jim was looking at her with such adoration, swaying with her in a darkened room. She had never appreciated just how sensitive touch was, until she was confronted with the situation of wanting to hug Jim, or kiss him, and knowing that she had to wait.

"Last dance of the night," said Jim in the lull after Clapton, and 'Purple Rain' came on. Pam grinned. "How could this not be the last song at any junior high dance?" asked Jim, straightening his arms out, and Pam moved her fingers to the hair at the nape of his neck. "You're getting a little frisky," Jim said, and she smiled mischievously. "I really want to kiss you," she admitted, and he shook his head. "No way. You're lucky I even asked you to dance. I didn't kiss a girl for three more years after this," he said seriously, "You'll be thankful if I only make you wait a few hours."

"You're such a kiss-tease," said Pam, and he grinned. "Well, I guarantee if I would have known you in junior high, I might have gotten to it a little sooner." Pam looked up at him. "Why don't you?" she asked, and his arms were pulling her a little closer, and her eyes closed as he planted a soft kiss on her lips.It was over quickly, but she still felt it when she opened her eyes. "I guess it's okay if we break the rules a little bit," Jim said quietly, and she closed her eyes and they danced silently until Prince faded away.

They broke apart slowly, and Pam smiled shyly. "Whatever magic you're doing, it's working," she said, "I feel like I'm a little kid again." Jim just smiled and held her hand as he led her over to the table. He unplugged the CD player and light and carried them in one arm.

They moved toward the door, blinking in the sunlight that filled the hallway. "I wanted to have Morgan crying in the hallway with one of her friends, but she wouldn't do it," Jim said as they walked back outside. "Poor kid, sent to do your dirty work," Pam said, lacing her fingers through his. "She was a good sport, and guess what? We've graduated junior high," said Jim, smiling, and the two climbed into the car.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading! I love junior high dances and the way only junior hgh kids 'go together' (why is that?), and listened to far too much crap '80s and '90s power ballads while writing this chapter. And grunge rocks.
The High School Years by McGigi

Once in the car, Jim pulled off the Pearl Jam shirt, his t-shirt underneath riding up so Pam could see smooth stomach. She resisted the impulse to touch it, and unbuttoned her flannel. "The next change of clothes will take place at our next venue," Jim said, handing her the blindfold again. Pam complied and felt the car engine rumble to life as Alanis Morrisette's voice filled the car.

"God, this was so popular my sophomore year," commented Pam. "Yeah, it creeped me out then and it creeps me out now that these songs are all about Dave Coulier," answered Jim.

Pam laughed and tried to picture where Jim was driving. He should be making a right any moment now if he were heading to her old high school; but instead, he made a left and continued for far too long, moving onto a main street in the opposite direction. "Where are we going?" she asked, "This doesn't feel like the way to my high school."

"All will be revealed in good time. The Committee for Fun Birthdays never reveals its secrets." said Jim, as Alanis ended and Hootie and the Blowfish came on.

"You're not taking me to an art museum to show me a painting you did of me, are you?" asked Pam, "Because I don't care that that's one of my favorite movies, that's still really stalkery!"

She heard Jim laugh. "No, but I plan on spending my life savings on diamond earrings for you, and I plan on telling you that you look good wearing my future," he said, and she smiled. She loved that Jim understood all of her movie references. It hadn't been like that before, and she still found it hard to believe that she could be with someone who loved the same things as she. It just felt so right, and she reached over to squeeze Jim's knee.

"Watch your hand there, you're getting a little friendly for someone just out of eighth grade," said Jim. "Hey, you already kissed me," she said, "In my book, that gives free reign for knee-squeezing."

"You're lucky I've matured somewhat, or I'd give you a horsebite, like this," said Jim, reaching over and squeezing her knee, making her squeal. "That tickles! My brother used to torture me with that one," she said. "Well, then, I'll stop, I don't want any Freudian associations to form in your mind," said Jim, finally turning the car as a Dave Matthews Band song began.

"God, my friend Brad was so into this band, and he always said he was going to get a tattoo of ants marching around his ankle in tribute to this song," she said.

"Where's Brad now?" asked Jim, turning the car again. "Last time I heard, he was working at some insurance company in Pittsburgh," Pam answered. "Wow, being an adult sucks," said Jim, and he pulled the car to a stop.  

"We're here," he said, and Pam opened her door, waiting for him to untie her blindfold. She had no idea where they were, but she heard lots of cars and people, so wherever it was, they weren't alone. Jim untied her blindfold, she looked around, blinking.

"We're at your old high school?" she asked, spotting a sign. "Yup, here you go; this was my favorite in high school," said Jim, handing her a Dunmore High sweatshirt. She pulled it over her head. "It's so soft and it smells like you," she said happily. "Yeah, I don't wash my clothes," said Jim seriously, looking pleased that she was so delighted with it.


Pam slid her hands up into the sleeves and watched as Jim slid on his old varsity jacket. "It's time to party like it's 1997," he said, putting his arm around her and pulling her to his side as they started to walk towards the back of the school. "You're like one of those sad people who never gets over high school and goes back to the football games every year," Pam snickered, and Jim grinned. "You've got me, actually," he said, and as they rounded the corner, Pam saw that there was a football game already in progress.

Jim led her up to the concession stand and purchased tickets and hot dogs. He handed Pam her hot dog with a smile, and Pam found that she was genuinely looking forward to being at a game with him. She and her friends had gone all the time, and though they didn't really pay much attention to the games themselves, it was still a really good time. They clanged up the bleachers in the students section, attracting many glances from the students, all whom looked confused. Several smirked as they saw Jim's jacket.

"I guess they don't recognize the star of the basketball team when they see him," whispered Pam as they found a spot. "Sadly, they were all in kindergarten when that actually happened," whispered Jim, "And I never said I was the star. Second best, maybe."

They watched as the first quarter ended and the second one began. Jim seemed impressed with Pam's football knowledge, asking, "Where did you learn all this?" She just looked at him, and he looked down. "Oh, right," he said, looking slightly abashed.

"I like this so much better," she said, sliding even closer to him and resting her head on his shoulder, "You understood me better in the first week I knew you than he ever did." She reached for his hand and laced her fingers through his. His other arm snaked around her waist, and before she even knew what was happening, they were kissing. She was thinking about how fantastic it was to finally really kiss him after an entire day of wanting desperately to, when she heard a kid behind them say, "Get a room!"

They broke apart, Jim's face as red as Pam's felt. "Let's go," he said, grabbing her hand and jogging down the metal stairs. They reached the ground, and instead of heading left toward the parking lot, he pulled her to the right, underneath the bleachers. "What exactly are we doing?" asked Pam, and Jim shushed her.

"Come here and I'll show you," he said, grinning, pulling her towards him and kissing her. Pam found this very agreeable and slid her hands into his hair, leaning back onto a pole. They made out like a pair of teenager until Jim slid his hands to cup Pam's face and his arms pressed against her sweatshirt. She broke the kiss to burst out laughing. "I know that trick! I know what you're doing!" she cried, and Jim blushed red. "That is a secret that no female is ever supposed to know," he said, laughing at her delight. "Let's move on, since you're not letting me put my best moves on you."

They headed back around the school, just as halftime was starting. "Hey, we can do the awesome back pocket walk," said Pam, sliding her hand into Jim's back pocket; he did the same. "Don't get me wrong, you have a very nice butt that I very much enjoy, but this is the most awkward way to walk ever," she said. "Agreed," said Jim, as they heard the cheerleaders start their halftime show.

"Are you disappointed that I wasn't a cheerleader?" asked Pam, smiling, knowing she was goading him. "Of course not, you know I love you just they way you are," he said, picking her up around the waist and staggering toward the car. Pam laughed and struggled. "Put me down, you'll hurt your back!" she cried, and Jim scoffed, "What, with all twelve pounds of you?"

They reached the car and he set her down; she was still smiling from him saying he loved her. She marveled how fantastic it was to hear, every single time he said it.  She climbed into the car and tied on the blindfold. She held his hand as they drove, moving slightly to the music, and very soon, they had stopped again. Pam climbed out of the car and Jim untied the blindfold. "Your parents' house?" she asked, smiling. "Pit stop and change of costume," he said, hoisting two duffel bags out of the car.

He led her into the house. His mother was in the living room, smiling knowingly. "Hi Pam," she said as Jim led her down the hall to the bathroom. "Here you go," he said, handing her one of the bags, and she went into the bathroom.

 She shut the door and unzipped the bag; inside, she found a pink dress she had worn in her cousin's wedding six years ago. She slipped it on, smiling at herself in the mirror. She pulled her ponytail down and refashioned it into a messy knot, because after all, it was obviously prom night. She slid on the shoes she found in the bottom of the bag and touched up her lip gloss.  

She left the bathroom and saw Jim's old bedroom door was closed. She snuck it open, and saw him buttoning a dress shirt.  "Hey, you look great," he said, smiling, and she crossed over to kiss him. "We can't, my mom will catch us," he said pleadingly, and he finished getting dressed. Pam watched him from the bed, admiring how little the room must have changed since he had lived in it.

"Ready?" he asked, pulling on his tux coat. "Can't we just stay here for a little while?" asked Pam, flopping on her back onto the bed. “I’ll bet you never had a high school girl in your bed before," she continued, and Jim laughed. "That didn't quite sound like I meant it to," said Pam, grudgingly getting up.

They walked back down the hall and out the front door. "Oh my God," exclaimed Pam happily, when she spotter her parents, who were standing next to the Halperts. Her mom and Mrs. Halpert had their cameras out, and Pam blushed when Jim presented her with a corsage. "You're insane," said Pam as he slid the white roses onto her wrist. "Let's get some photos before it gets any darker," said Mrs. Halpert, and the parents all smiled as Jim and Pam arranged themselves in front of the garden in true prom fashion.  Pam loved that their mothers were getting really into it, posing them and snapping photos, their fathers looking on and smiling.

"We should get going," said Jim, and they exchanged their goodbyes. Jim shook hands with her dad, and her dad joked, "Take good care of my little girl and have her home by midnight."

Pam's mother gave her a hug and whispered, "Honey, this one's a keeper." Pam blushed and nodded her agreement. "I'll do my best," she whispered back, and Jim held out his arm to her.

Back in the car, they drove off, their parents waving their goodbyes. "Doesn't it disturb you that they're all back there alone together?" asked Pam. "Nah, they got along really well at the fourth of July picnic. I'm sure they'll talk about us for a little while, but we can't possibly be that interesting," replied Jim, glancing at her. "You really do look fantastic," he said, "We need to do more things that involve you dressing up."

"Hey, I don't mind Tuxedo Jim, either, you're not so bad yourself," she replied. "It's my dad's, but it fits me pretty well, I think," said Jim, straightening his tie in the rearview mirror at a stop sign.

Back at the high school, Pam was unsurprised to see Jim pull out the CD player and disco light, plus a paper bag. "Come on, let's sneak in before the football game's over," he said, holding open the door for her. He led her down the dark hall toward the gym. Once inside, she hung back as he plugged in the light and CD player. Soon, the room was softly lit, and a slow song was playing. Jim crossed over to her, holding out his hand in invitation. "This is going to be so much better than junior high,” he said, pulling her close, "We can actually touch this time."

She slid her arms around his neck and her head fit perfectly under his chin. For five slow, dreamy songs they swayed, sometimes kissing, sometimes just dancing, eyes closed and moving together. "This is the last one," said Jim quietly, "I cheated, this wasn't from high school, but it always reminds me of you and that night in the parking lot with my iPod."

"Yeah, I was so nice to you the next day and told you that swaying isn't dancing," she said, sighing at the memory of it. "Well, I hope I'm proving you wrong," he said, and she kissed him in response, which he seemed to like.

They didn't stop moving until the song ended, and then they slowed down to a standstill. "I guess we should go," whispered Pam, and Jim squeezed her. "I know what's next, and that's the only way I would agree with you," he answered.

He gathered up the CD player and light, and before they left, he opened the paper bag and handed Pam a champagne glass. "Your prom favor," he said, and she held it up to the hallway light to see "Second Chance Prom, September 15, 2007" written in Jim's neatest cursive in Sharpie. "Aw, thanks," she said, smiling happily as they walked back to the car. "Yeah, I like the way we got champagne glasses and beer glasses as favors, yet they pushed the no drinking thing," said Jim as he opened her car door. Stragglers from the football game gave them strange glances, and Pam supposed they looked ridiculous in their formal clothes.

Back in the car, Pam put the blindfold on, looking forward to what came next. If it was half as nice as the dancing had been, it would still be fantastic. She leaned back on the car seat as Jim drove. "Did you manage to find all the one-hit wonders from the mid-to-late '90s?" she asked, as one song ended and another began. "Hey, I just did my job," he said. 

They drove smoothly and quickly, so Pam supposed they might be on the freeway. After a few moments, Jim seemed to exit, and eventually the road got a bit bumpier and quiet. "Where are we now?" asked Pam as the car juddered to a stop, Jim pulling out the keys.

"Should I get out now?"

Jim reached behind her head to take off the blindfold. "Nope, this takes place in the car," he said, and she looked out the window. The sun had gone down completely, but she could still see the scenery.

"Are we at Lake Scranton?" she asked, craning her neck to look out his window. "Yup," he said.

"Is there a change of clothes?" asked Pam. "Nah, I think it'll be more fun in these clothes," he said, and she was slightly confused. "Why exactly are we here?" she asked, and Jim laughed.  "Little Pam, so naive. You should probably stop talking, or I'll never let you get to second base," he said, and all of a sudden she felt silly for not understanding.

She grinned and climbed into the backseat. "You learn quickly, young padawan," said Jim, "What did you think teenagers did at Lake Scranton on prom night?"

Before he climbed to the backseat, he advanced the CD a few more tracks. "This is cheesy, but I thought it might help," he said. Peter Gabriel's voice filled the car, and they were soon both quite distracted, neither of them noticing when the CD ended.

End Notes:

I loved high school, though I would have loved it even more if Jim had been there. Enjoy!

Thanks to everybodyhurts and time4moxie for the parking at Lake Scranton ideas, I knew they'd be parking, but Lake Scranton made it so much better!

 

The College Years by McGigi
Author's Notes:

The epilogue will follow, thanks so much for reading!

Some time later, Pam found herself sitting up; their clothes were considerably rumpled, but they were smiling. She leaned her head against Jim's shoulder and looked out at the moonlit water. "I never thought Lake Scranton would hold so many memories for me," she said softly.

"Yeah, me neither," said Jim in the same tone, slowly stroking her arm. "I think the beach day with work was the closest I ever came to knowing what you felt like when I told you how I felt at that Casino Night. I know it wasn't the same, but I really saw how you felt, and I couldn't keep ignoring the fact that I felt the same way as I ever did."

"Really?" asked Pam, even though she knew the answer. However close they were, they still steered clear of some painful subjects; aside from a few late night talks, they hadn't discussed what had happened between Jim and Karen and Pam and Roy. Pam thought it was a strange and somewhat lovely thing that though she knew that Roy was absolutely not the one for her, she could still feel a twinge of empathy for him and still remember their shared past. She had to remind herself of this on the rare occasions when Jim mentioned Karen, telling herself that he still loved Pam more than he ever liked Karen.

"Of course. I tried to convince myself that you had moved on, and tried to tell myself that she was a good fit for me, but it just didn't work. You're just...perfect, and I couldn't deny it any more when you said those things here."

Pam squeezed his hand. "I'm not perfect," she said.

"Maybe not, that's up for debate, but you're absolutely perfect for me. You just... get me. You always have, and I think I get you, too, and that's why I love you more than I've ever loved anything," he said, looking down at her, and she thought his eyes looked bright. She reached both arms around and pulled him into a tight hug. "I love you, too," she said into his neck. "I know, and that's the best feeling in the world," he said as they broke apart.

They smiled at each other for what seemed like a long time, until Jim patted her knee. "We'd better keep going," he said, "or else we'll be stuck in high school and we'll never be sure if it would have worked out long-distance in college."

Pam smiled and he handed her the bag with her clothes in it. They managed to change clothes in the car, though Jim's long legs gave him some trouble, and Pam laughed at him. As they pulled back onto the dirt road, Jim changed CDs. "Dave Matthews Band. We must be in college now," said Pam, and they held hands.

Back on the highway, Jim made her put on the blindfold, and she had absolutely no idea where they would end up. Her college years had been pretty uneventful, mostly hanging out with Roy and his friends, and she hadn't even gotten her degree, petering out in her junior year to work full time. She was embarrassed by this, but when she said it aloud it to Jim, he just squeezed her hand. "I sometimes think degrees are overrated. Look where my English degree got me, I'm selling paper," he said, and she laughed. "But if it's something that you want to do, you should do it. Figure out what you want to do and then just go for it."

"You're amazing, you know that?" asked Pam, patting his knee. "You're the best cheerleader I've ever had."

"And definitely the sexiest," replied Jim, and she could hear the smile in his voice. "Hey, we're here," he said, and the car parked. "Where are we?" Pam asked as she pulled off the blindfold. "My buddy Jason's little brother Eric's house. This is our first college party, Beesly."

"Nice," she said, as they walked up the front steps. Jim rang the bell, and let himself in. There was loud music playing, and people milling around with cups of beer.

"Hey Eric," said Jim to a dark- haired guy who looked to be around twenty or twenty-one. "Hey Jim!" said Eric, and he smiled at Pam. "This is my girlfriend Pam," said Jim, and she shook hands with Eric. "Nice to meet you. There's beer and food over there," Eric said, pointing toward the kitchen.

They thanked him and walked over to the keg. "Everyone here looks so little!" whispered Pam. "Are we that old?" Jim grinned. "Probably. I've known Eric since he was about six, so it feels really weird to be drinking with him. He does this a few times a month, I've come with Jason a couple of times."

He handed Pam a beer, and they wandered through the little house. Most people smiled at them, and Pam blushed when a few of the guys grinned and stared at her. "Why do they keep looking at me?" she whispered, "It's weird."

"Maybe you remind them of their mothers," Jim whispered back. She mock-glared at him. "Pam, you're totally hot, that's why they're looking at you."

Pam blushed again and looked down. She was just wearing jeans and a fitted blue t-shirt, but maybe she carried herself differently now. She smiled at Jim and tossed her ponytail.

They went into the living room and watched the Wii boxing tournament happening there, and Jim even joined in, ultimately losing to one of Eric's roommates. Jim was slightly out of breath after, so they edged out of the living room to get some air. "I'm sorry the Wii is here, that's definitely an anachronism. I was afraid it's be like Christopher Reeve and that penny, and we'd be snapped back to reality and I'd go into a coma and die," said Jim, sipping his beer. "Did you actually just describe 'Somewhere in Time'?" giggled Pam, "You're such a dork."

"The fact that you know what I'm talking about makes you equally as dorky," said Jim.

"Hey, it's one of my mom's favorite movies," said Pam, and Jim laughed. "I don't even have that excuse. I just really loved Superman when I was younger, and watched all of Christopher Reeve's movies."

Pam laughed at him and he looked down the hall. "Come here," he said, and pulled her into a dark bedroom. "It smells like boy in here," said Pam. "We can still make out," said Jim, and he began to kiss her. "What if someone finds us?" asked Pam, pulling away. "Then they'll be really jealous of me," said Jim, pulling her against him and kissing her again.

They emerged a half hour later, slightly disheveled and smiling. "Do you want another beer?" asked Jim, and Pam shook her head. "Nah, cheap beer isn't doing it for me either," he said. "Ready for the next place?"

"There's more?" asked Pam, who had expected the party to be the final place, since it was getting late in the evening. "Yeah, well, we've still got a few more years to go. One more stop," said Jim as they moved toward the front door.

They drove in companionable silence, and when Pam got out of the car, she heard downtown sounds. Jim untied the blindfold, and she saw that they were standing in front of a microbrewery that had just opened a few months previously. "Nice, I've wanted to try this!" Pam exclaimed, looking in the window. "Yeah, well, what better way to transition into our twenties than snobby beer and an emo singer?" asked Jim.

The hostess sat them in a booth, and they could see the singer setting his equipment up on stage as they opened the menus. Pam found that she was starving and decided on a burger. The beer choices were numerous and all sounded good. "I have no idea which one to pick," said Pam, looking at the list again. "Let's get the sampler; I'll have two and you can have three," said Jim. 

"Will you be okay to drive?" asked Pam anxiously. "Yeah, lightweight, some of us are fine after a couple of drinks," said Jim, giving her a mischievous smile that made her blush.

They ordered their food and drinks as the singer came out onstage and began his set, playing an acoustic guitar and singing, apparently about his brother's drug addiction. "His name is Emory Allister?" asked Jim, "He has emo right in his name!"

"Maybe he decided that was his only obvious career path," whispered Pam, "Or maybe he changed his name."

"Yeah, his name is probably Rocky or Butch," whispered Jim, and both giggled. "Or, like, Gerald."

"Oh my God, did he just say that this next song is about global warming?" asked Pam. "He did, and if the next song is not about the war, I'll give you five dollars," replied Jim, grinning.

Emory Allister finished the song with a plaintive, "As her children, we've got to take care of Mother Earth..." and Pam snorted into her little glass of apricot wheat beer. Emory continued, "This next song is about the Holocaust, and it's also about you and me."

Jim threw up his hands in mock defeat and Pam laughed and almost choked on her turkey burger, hoping that the singer couldn't see her in the darkness. Jim reached for his wallet and gave her the five dollars, which she pocketed gleefully. "Okay, I'll give you a chance to win it back if the next song is about the war," she said, and he nodded. "If it's not, I'll buy dessert," he said.

"This next song is a song I wrote about slavery," said Emory from the stage, and Pam raised her hands in victory. "Start ordering, Beesly," said Jim, laughing and shaking his head before getting up and excusing himself to the restroom.

Pam's dessert was brought out with a candle on top as Emory's song ended, and all the faces turned towards her. "I'd like to wish my beautiful girlfriend Pam a happy 21st birthday," said Jim, standing up and addressing the other patrons. Emory strummed his guitar and everyone sang 'Happy Birthday' to her, some raising their glasses of beer.

She was bright red as they finished and Jim sat down, smiling happily at her. "I'd like to dedicate my next song to Pam, for it's about the beauty of life as it relates to the horrors of the war," said Emory, and Jim cheered loudly.  Pam felt like her face would split from smiling. She was dizzy from the beer and the singing and her life felt simply perfect.

"Let's go home," he said, "I'll show you what adults do after college."

She raised an eyebrow suggestively. "And that would be..."

"Cuddling in bed and falling asleep to a Christopher Guest movie we've seen a dozen times, of course," said Jim, and she nodded. "That's perfect," she said, getting up a little unsteadily.

They left the restaurant, Jim's arm around her waist.  "This is the best day ever," she said to him, and he patted her hand. "We'll have lots more like this, I promise," he said, and she knew he was right.

End Notes:
The only thing I made up about the singer was his name, all the rest is very, very real. :-) One more chapter to follow, and thanks for reading!
Epilogue: The Present by McGigi
Author's Notes:
Here's the final chapter. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy!

Pam arrived at work on Wednesday still smiling about the weekend. The seemingly requisite bouquet of carnations was on her desk; Michael could be thoughtful, if not overly imaginative.

She looked at the card with the flowers and read, "Hey girlfriend, I got you something small for your birthday!" She opened the card and saw a shirtless, muscular young man in very tight cutoff shorts and the words "Make that something BIG!" Underneath, Michael had written, "Bet you wish Jim looked like this, ha ha. May the road rise up to meet you, and may the wind be always at your back. Love your BIG boss Michael." 

Pam sighed, amazed that someone could be so sweet and offensive at the same time. Jim walked out of Michael's office, smiling widely, leaning over her desk to kiss her. Phyllis smiled appreciatively from her desk and gave Pam the thumbs-up. "Michael's been reading inspirational websites again," said Pam, holding out the card. "Wow, I didn't realize you were attracted to Never Nudes. I've been doing this all wrong," said Jim, shaking his head at the card.

"No, I like your style much better," she said, raising an eyebrow, and he blushed. "Come on, let's go. I told Michael we're going on a coffee run."

"He's okay with that?"

"Well, he said he's not sure that Starbucks has 'free trade agreement' coffee, so I told him we'd stop and get him a milkshake. He liked that, he says the calories won't count if he doesn't buy it."

"Nice."

They had arrived outside and Jim led her over to his car. Once inside, he handed her a stack of presents, his face like a little kid's, or maybe Michael's on Christmas morning. "I thought last Saturday was my present," said Pam, "And also we're going out to dinner tonight, don't you want to wait until then?"

"No, I'm tired of waiting, and these aren't big presents or anything. Go ahead!"

"Nice girls open the card first," said Pam, slipping her fingernails under the envelope flap. Inside was a card that had a cartoon kitten in a little pink dress, with the words "Happy 1st Birthday to a Very Special Girl". She opened the card and read, "September 19, 1980. Happy 1st birthday Pam. This was a big year for both of us, you got born and learned to walk, and I learned to walk and talk and climb stairs, and I have the bump on my head to prove it. All my love, Jim."

Pam looked up, and Jim handed her the first present. She opened it and opened the box inside, which contained a stack of cards in envelopes. "There's one for every birthday," he said, and she just stared. "You're not supposed to make me cry this early in the morning," she said, replacing the lid. "Read them later," he said, and gave her the next present.

The second present was a set of two homemade CDs, and when she read the back of them, she found every song they had listened to on Saturday, plus a few more, beginning with Madonna's "This Used to Be My Playground" and finishing with Travis's "Sing."

"It's the soundtrack for our life, now you can listen to cheesy '90s music any time you want," said Jim, in a joking tone, but when she looked up, his eyes looked slightly anxious, as if she wouldn't like anything he gave her. "I love it!" said Pam, "You made it, so it's perfect." She knew she'd never listen to it with anything but delight, that had been a golden day and now she'd have good memories associated with each song.

The third present was much larger, and when Pam unwrapped it, Jim's high school sweatshirt fell out. "Seriously, I get to keep it?" she asked, sniffing it. "It still smells like you, even after I wore it!"

"Well, it was my favorite shirt ever in high school, and I wanted you to have something I really loved," he said, smiling at her. "Are you trying to win the Dundie for Most Perfect Boyfriend Ever?" she asked, only half teasing.

"Nah, I just wanted you to have a memorable birthday. This is the first one we're celebrating together," he said, handing her the last present. "I don't know if this is crossing the line from being charming to utterly cheesy."

Pam opened it and just stared for a moment. It was a picture frame with five slots; on the top two, Jim had put pictures of Little Jim and Pam. Pam recognized her kindergarten school picture, ribbon in her ringlets and a smocked dress. Jim had a shaggy bowl haircut and was wearing a sweater vest, and tears filled Pam's eyes as she recognized the same look of wide-eyed apprehension on both baby faces, as though neither was sure of what was going on.

Her eyes moved down to the bottom two, and she began to laugh as a couple of tears escaped and slid down her cheeks. The school pictures there were much worse; Pam's eighth grade self smiled awkwardly up at her, bushy hair gathered in a denim scrunchie, wearing a flannel shirt and smiling through braces. Jim looked as goofy as she did, except that his hair was shorter and made his ears look big.

The big picture in the middle made her want to cry again; someone had snapped it on the Fourth of July. Jim and Pam were sitting across from each other at a picnic table, looking right at each other and grinning, their hands twined together on the tabletop. "This is amazing," she said softly. "How did you do it?"

"I had some help from your mom, and my sister gave me the big picture, " he said, "I hoped it wouldn't be too lame."

"No, it's fantastic, I love all of it," she said, looking at him. "I can't tell you how much it means to me that you've done all of this for me. You're so thoughtful, it's almost like dating a girl!"

Jim smiled and took her hands. He started to look a little nervous, which made her stomach twinge a little with worry. "I just wanted to say something," he said, looking at her, and her heart started to beat a little faster. He took a breath and continued, "I know we don't talk about stuff like the future very often, and I know we don't want to rush into anything, but I just wanted you to know that I have never loved anyone or anything as much as I love you, and the reason that it didn't matter as much to me that we didn't grow up together is that I plan on spending every single day of my life with you. I tried living without you, and it just isn't going to work for me. You're absolutely the one I want to be with forever, and I know I sound like a dork, but it's true."

Tears filled Pam's eyes again as she threw her arms around his neck. "You're not a dork!" she said into his hair, "I love you too, and it's just so easy to be in love with you, and I can't wait to be with you forever either!"

Jim squeezed her and they broke apart, grinning rather redly at each other. "We're a pair of dorks," Jim said, and he laced his fingers through hers. Pam laughed. "I meant what I said. It really is easy to be with you, and you're my best friend and I love you," she said simply, and his smile made her stomach twirl pleasantly. "Come on, birthday girl, let's go," he said, and he started the car. As they drove, Pam traced her thumb on his hand, eyes closed and thinking her own lovely thoughts. Maybe Jim really was a 'sweater and CD' type of guy, only a little better.

End Notes:
 I promised fluff, and my fluff you shall have. Thanks so much for reading!
This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2582