The Dunder Miffline Comedy by A Little Stitious
Summary:

Jim Halpert takes a journey through his own personal inferno with a little help from the characters we know and love (or hate).  Will it lead to paradise and a reunion with Pam, or will he be sidetracked along the way?

A takeoff of the classic Dante Alighieri work The Divine Comedy.


Categories: Jim and Pam, Other, Past, Alternate Universe Characters: Ensemble, Jim, Jim/Pam
Genres: Angst, Dream/Fantasy, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: Adult language
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 21480 Read: 18326 Published: December 02, 2007 Updated: March 25, 2008
Story Notes:

I thought a ways back that this would be an interesting one to do Office-style, but never had the time or ability to do it until now.

The story is set during Branch Closing, when Jim is trying to decide whether or not to return to Scranton.  Almost entirely AU, and I'll need a little bit of slack on some of the actual show events included. 

1. Into the Inferno by A Little Stitious

2. Familiar Faces, Different Places by A Little Stitious

3. That Sinking Feeling by A Little Stitious

4. Lost in a Daydream by A Little Stitious

5. Airing Dirty Laundry by A Little Stitious

6. Drowning In Memories by A Little Stitious

7. Tasting of Sugar and Breaking Hearts by A Little Stitious

8. South America by A Little Stitious

9. Have you ever had a crush on a coworker? by A Little Stitious

Into the Inferno by A Little Stitious
Author's Notes:

This is set in the middle of what would be Branch Closing's filming.  I'm going to just pretend that Jim didn't decide on going back to Scranton in one day, but rather slept on it for a night beforehand, haha.  This is 3rd person, unlike the actual story, which is in 1st person.  I just don't like to write 1st person that well.

Also, I own neither the Office, nor any of the characters, or anything at all really, save a bunch of golf clubs, a car and a few computers.  And some clothes and other random items.

Ah, it is hard to speak of what it was. That savage forest, dense and difficult, which even in recall renews my fear: so bitter- death is hardly more severe! But to retell the good discovered there, I’ll also tell the other things I saw.

~The Divine Comedy, Inferno, Canto I

Jim Halpert slammed the door shut with enough ferocity to shake the plates on the dining room shelf. Stepping into the darkened space he called home, he stared into the grainy wooden paneling, feeling lost as one could be in their own skin, in their own living space. How the hell could Josh do that to us? To me? After all, he had it together in Stamford. He had a job that paid well, a sweet little apartment with a view of the Atlantic Ocean, and he was finally getting a chance to socialize a bit now that he was secure in his job. The best part was, he thought he’d finally found someone who could take his mind off Pam…at least for a few hours a night, he thought with a chuckle.

Karen Filippelli was sort of an anti-Pam Beesly. Sure, she was gorgeous, smart and funny, but unlike Pam, she was a high achiever, and she was the sort who could push him to want to better his own life, he thought. She was always impeccably dressed, composed and not afraid to speak her mind. They’d gone out on their first date a few weeks after his arrival in Stamford. She showed him around the town…they dined at the 122 Pizza Bistro downtown, took a walk on the beach at Cove Island Park, and finished the night off with a few drinks at the Thirsty Turtle. Then he took her home and as they stood on her front stoop, she leaned down from her perch on the top step and planted a firm, yet warm kiss on him. He was stunned…he’d never had a woman initiate the first kiss with him. But that was Karen, in essence. She’d asked him out, she’d been the first one to refer to him as her "boyfriend," she’d been the first to say "I love you." She’d been so patient with him, as though she could sense his heartbreak and word unspoken, be the security blanket to allay his fears. He felt like such a girl to admit it, but her strength and willingness to just admit whatever she felt was a welcome reprieve in in the sea of uncertainty that was his current situation.

Josh had shattered that façade earlier that day. You can’t blame a guy for taking a better offer, he thought as he flipped on the TV, but that wretch used us as his bargaining chip. He can rot in hell, for all I care. Most of the rest of the afternoon was awash in mystery. Would they get a new regional manager and still absorb some of Scranton? Would they just shut both branches down? He couldn’t imagine Jan would want Michael in charge of any more potential lawsuits than he already was. In the back of his mind, he just knew fate would push him back into the path of the Scranton (or was it Reading? He always did love Monopoly) railroad. When Jan had broken the news and given him the option to be the Assistant Regional Manager back in Scranton, he felt all the air drain from his lungs. Unable to give a real reason not to take it on the spot, he’d hemmed and hawwed enough that Jan had let him off the hook. Nonetheless, she’d want an answer by the end of the week in case she needed to go elsewhere to find Michael's number two, so time was running short to make a decision. Leaning back on the sofa, he tuned out the Sixers-Knicks game and rubbed his eyes in the vain hope that it would provide some him with a moment of clarity.

The insistent chattering of his cell phone on the glass tabletop provided him with a respite from his thoughts. Karen. Like a gift from above…she’d been so great to that point, surely she could provide him with some kind of perspective. He flipped the top…."Hey there, beautiful. What‘s up?"

"Hi Jim," came the reply from the other side of the phone. It sounded cold, surgical…he wondered if maybe she’d come down with something since he talked to her just a few hours earlier. "Can we talk?"

"Umm…well, usually that’s the point of a telephone, Filipelli. Alexander Graham Bell didn’t invent them all that time ago so we could just listen to each other’s TV in the background." The nervous sounding, not too convincing chuckle coming back at him told him that this was not a time to be joking. "Okay, sure. What’s on your mind?" He wasn’t used to Karen sounding so…unnerved, so unsure.

"I thought about what you said earlier."

"Oh, yeah?"

He remembered their brief conversation that afternoon. She’d asked him about going back to Scranton…he tried to give her the stock answer…"I really don't know"...but she was his girlfriend.  Didn't she deserve to know more? Seeing her non-believing glare he knew he’d have to switch gears or risk divulging the deep, dark secret from his not-that-distant past. So he did what he was used to doing…he turned the subject to her plans. Lord knows, she was usually prepared for everything. He remembered her sounding a little uneasy as she wondered aloud about her job status. He’d made a suggestion that she move to New York, but behind it was his silent pleading….WE should move to New York…WE have nothing to do in Scranton. He knew that he wasn’t ready to take the big plunge and fully commit after only 5 months, but he also knew that he was slowly falling for Karen, and if he had a few more months, maybe he’d be ready then.

"You were right, Jim." He let the breath that had caught in his throat out slowly so as not to sound too excited. She GOT it. He could feel himself falling a little more for her by the moment. In fact, he should have saved it for what was coming next.

"Cool…so should we go apartment seeking this weekend then? I can tell Jan…."

"We?"

"Yeah, we. What’s going on here, Karen?" He was starting to get concerned about the direction of this conversation. He grabbed his glass of Coke and let one of the ice cubes roll onto his tongue, pretending to be nonchalant, as though she could see him through the telephone signals.

"Jim…you told me…" He thought he could hear a little bit of a choke as she tried to hold back a tear. Oh my God…she misinterpreted what I said. I’ve got to let her know what I meant.

"Karen, listen, I care about you and I wasn’t really excited about moving back to Scranton. I was hoping you’d know I meant that you and I could move to New York. Jan seems to like me…maybe I could find a place in corporate until I can find somewhere else to work and…" He knew he sounded a little desperate, but he needed Karen to know that he needed her.

"Jim, there’s someone else."

He froze. He felt like the proverbial deer in the headlights and he was glad that they weren’t doing this face to face, because he was certain the look of sheer terror in his features would have scared her away right then. He thought for a second about feigning ignorance, but decided a partial truth in this situation would be proper. "No, Karen, that was a long time ago, before you, and I’m *totally* over her, and now I have you, and..."

"No Jim, I mean that *I* found someone else." The briefest silence that followed was splintered by the sound of his glass clanking off the hardwood floor. Thankfully he’d been down to just ice, but the tinkling of the cubes off the sides of the cylinder pounded inside his ears like the beating of a war drum. He couldn’t even speak…he was still stammering when she interjected. "I know this isn’t the best timing Jim, but I figured you deserved to know what was going on. I just can’t do this anymore." The hint of emotion was now gone…the idea that she sounded so matter-of-fact about throwing away the last five months of their lives stirred the bitterness in his next statement.

"So, I suppose I was just some sort of fun distraction…someone you figured you could throw away once you found someone better?" He was really trying not to raise his voice, but failing.

"No, I mean I loved you, but you never seemed to let me in. Frank and I met at yoga class and we hit it off and…"

His anger overflowed, spilling into his voice. "Karen, spare me your damn love story, alright? Frank? How the hell old is this guy? No one our age has that name!"

"That’s none of your business, Jim!" Karen yelled back. "He may be a few years older, but at least he has GOALS, Jim! He wants a life, and he wants a great career, and he wants ME, Jim! Which is more than I can say for you, lately." The solemn realization with which she made the final statement cut him to the core….further than any yelling or screaming could, because he knew it was true. He wasn’t going to win any "Boyfriend of the Year" awards…hell, it’d been two weeks since they last had sex, even.

He responded in the only way he could think. "Yeah, well at least I’m not running away, Karen!" Despite the irony of the statement in his mind, he was glad he said it. It didn’t help the matter at hand though…it served to set off a firestorm of insults, curses and obscenities before he finally had it and slammed the phone down on the floor, cracking it and rendering it useless. At least I won’t have to hear from her ever again though, he thought.

He looked at the clock on the microwave….9:23. He’d been arguing with Karen for nearly three hours. Warming up some leftover lasagna, he sat down at the table in exhausted silence. In the span of about 12 hours, he’d gone from feeling like his life had turned a corner to the bottom of the pits…he wondered aloud who he’d pissed off enough to deserve this.

His moment of self-pity was interrupted by the tinny ringing of the kitchen phone. Only one person ever called him on his home phone.

"Hey Mom," he said thoughtlessly.

"Hi honey. Are you busy? If Karen is there, I can call back later…" His instinct was correct.

"No, umm, she’s at her place tonight." He hoped she’d leave it at that.

"Okay. Jim, I’m just calling to tell you…that your father’s biopsy results came back today. The tumor they removed was cancerous." This must be the body blow after all of today’s jabs in the eye, he thought. Can it get any worse?

"How, I mean…what’s the prognosis?" was all he could muster.

"They said they think the surgery got all of it, but he’s going to have to undergo chemo and radiation. He didn‘t want to tell your brother, sister or you yet because of Jon’s med school exams this week, but he went to bed already and I‘m so scared." He could hear the struggle in his mother’s voice as she tried not to cry.

After a few minutes of questions and a few tears shed on both sides, they said goodbye and Jim turned his attention back to the physical mess he’d put off cleaning in the sink for a few days. He stood against the counter, cleaning up the leftover dishes and pondering when his life had ever been so screwed up…briefly he let his mind dance on thoughts of letting the knife he was washing slice its way through his wrist…letting go and giving in, telling the universe that it in fact had conquered his soul and put him to the ultimate shame. Thankfully, the negativity quickly dissipated and he knew that he’d have to really give this return to Scranton some thought now.

He grabbed two beers from the fridge, stepped out onto the balcony and breathed in the crisp November night. It was normally chilly this time of year, but a warming breeze off the ocean tempered both the air and his spirit. As he curled himself into the oversized lounge chair he and Karen had pushed out sometime over the summer, he thought of his surroundings…chic, bright, glamorous and quick in pace…the kind of place everyone would want to be. Surely his excellent numbers with Stamford would count for something , and he could find another sales job pretty quickly. He was comfortable with sales, and darned good at it when he wanted to be. He’d outsold Dwight the last quarter, something he’d never done when he was in Scranton. His thoughts turned to his hometown…it was a slower place, comforting and warm…he’d be closer to his parents, which was important now especially, and to his brother and sister, whom he hadn’t seen since he moved. Scranton was like a sibling to him…he picked on it sometimes, but deep down he loved it and missed it greatly when he was away from it. But Scranton was also where Pam was…and he knew the risks of falling back into things with her. Sure, she’d called her wedding off, but it obviously wasn’t about him. She’d made that clear enough on casino night when she rejected him…twice. Plus, now she was going on dates again…he’d be lucky if she’d remember their friendship at all when…if….he went back. Wearily, he leaned back into the chair and allowed himself to drift off, gazing into the ocean before him, stretching out endlessly toward the stars.

End Notes:
Chapter 2 should be coming tomorrow unless you all throw garbage at me.  Hope this is a satisfying start though...it won't all be so dreary. :)
Familiar Faces, Different Places by A Little Stitious
Author's Notes:
Jim has a unexpected visitor in the night, perhaps leading to the start of his journey?
If I have understood what you have said, your soul has been assailed by cowardice, which often weighs heavily on a man- distracting him from honorable trials- as phantoms frighten beasts when shadows fall. That you may be delivered from this fear, I’ll tell you why I came and what I heard when I first felt compassion for your pain.

~The Divine Comedy, Inferno, Canto II

He awakened several hours later and groggily rubbed his eyes. Peering through the slight fog shrouding the street below, he could see the iridescent blinking of the light at the end of the street…must be two or three in the morning, he thought. It wasn’t often in Scranton you could get away with sleeping outside in November and not wake up to a frozen limb or two, but Stamford winters were so much milder than the ones back home. He gathered his blanket and stepped back inside, shutting the door with a solid clack.

Immediately, he felt a sensation that he was not alone in the eerie darkness. He thought for a moment that maybe Karen had stopped in and stayed on the couch, but remembering their earlier conversation, he knew there was little hope for that. He was even more alarmed when he spied the soft glow of the street light poking through the slightly opened door. Shit…after all this, now a burglary? Exasperated, he grabbed a golf club he’d left in the corner and walked into the living room to survey the damage. Surprisingly, his new plasma TV, the DVD surround sound system, and even his Xbox 360 were all sitting just as he’d left them. Nonetheless, he figured he should call 911 to report it just in case. Besides, he’d been in every room in the apartment besides the kitchen and despite that, he still couldn’t shake the feeling that someone was in here with him. He made his way to the kitchen and was reaching for the phone when he felt a pair of hands grip the back of his shoulders and heard a familiar, shrill voice cut through the still air.

“SURPRISE!!!”

His immediate reaction was to violently brush the arms off his shoulders and slam the smaller man who’d grabbed him backward into the counter. He had his hand drawn back and ready to connect with his face when he spotted the goofy grin he’d seen thousands of times. “Michael?!?!”

Michael, not even sensing the potentially dangerous situation he’d put himself in, immediately stepped forward and tightly embraced him. “Jimbo! Man, how I missed you!!”

Still numb from shock, Jim staggered back defensively. “Jesus Michael, what the hell are you doing here?!!? Don’t you realize that breaking into someone’s house can get you shot?”

“Jim, I knew you weren’t a gun freak like Dwight…besides, I had to come visit the guy who’s gonna be my new number two. Hang out a little, you know, some guy on guy action…”

“Michael, I don’t think you know how bad that sounds.” He couldn’t keep a slight smirk from his face.

“Ahhh…I see that little grin, Halpert. So, you in or not?”

“It’s three in the morning, Michael. You’re lucky I’m not going to have you arrested…now go home.” The look of dejection he saw forced him to soften his voice…he never did have the ability to resist the puppy dog look from anyone. “Listen, Michael, I know you drove a long ways to come see me, but I’m *really* not in the mood to go out tonight. I had a shitty day yesterday and I just want to sleep it off. You can stay here on the couch tonight but you have to go home tomorrow.”

Michael slipped down onto the couch and stared idly toward a photo of Jim, his mom and dad at his college graduation that was perched on the end table. “Karen dumped you, didn’t she?”

For the third time in the last 24 hours, Jim felt trapped. “Wh-Wh-How did you know that? You never even met her. You didn‘t even know we were going out!”

“Come on Jimmy. Dunder Mifflin is like a hotbed of gossip, and I am like my namesake in the bidness, Mike Ausiello…nothing gets past me. Everyone knew you were hittin’ that. I woulda been on it myself if not for my two other girlfriends…”

Trying not to cringe at the thought of his former boss “hitting” anything, he simply nodded and sat down in the chair facing Michael. “Yeah, she did,” he admitted despondently. “She didn’t like the idea of moving b-, I mean moving to Scranton.” He hoped he hadn’t noticed the little slip. “I mean, I really liked her, I guess. She was fun, and caring, and…”

“Sa-mokin hot!,” Michael interrupted as he reached his hand out for a knuckle bump. “Am I right?”

“Yeah, Michael,” he replied wryly, not bothering to stick his hand out. He was NOT going to play this game.

“You know what you need, Jim-bag? You need to spend some time at Hooters. You’re a young stud…no doubt one of those girls would go out with you.”

“Wow. That is definitely not what I would have thought of…”

“C’mon, buddy…it’ll be fun. Just you and me. It worked back when you had the problem with P-”

“No, Michael. I am not going to Hooters with you. Now, if you’re done rambling, I’m going back to sleep.” There. Crisis averted, he thought. He turned and began to walk toward the bedroom, sidestepping his now functionless cell phone lying on the floor.

“How about Chili’s?” Michael was relentless, and not going to give this up until he got what he wanted. He’s like a freakin’ 8 year old, Jim thought. “I mean, you always had fun at the Dundies, right?” Thoughts ran through his head. Ping. Bowling trophies. “Like second drink.” “ Smelliest bowel movement.” “Fine Work.” Drunken kisses. Questions not asked, not answered.

He smiled, then turned his focus back toward his former manager.  “Sometimes, I suppose. There aren’t even Chili’s restaurants open at this hour though.” He hoped that would cut off this idea that was somehow growing on him, despite its insanity.

“I know one that’s open 24/7...not too far from the N-Y-C either.” He said it with such conviction, Jim couldn’t help but believe him. The man’s zany attitude was winning him over, impossibly, like a slow drain of resistance from his body.

“OK, I guess a late night run wouldn’t hurt too much. At least traffic shouldn’t be too bad at this hour,” he said with a breathy laugh as he grabbed his jacket.

Michael jumped up, clearly elated. “Alright! You driving? Or you can ride with me…my Sebring is a corporate lease, you know.” The only man I know more proud of things given to him than things earned.

“Well, your idea, so you drive,” Jim replied, patting him lightly on the shoulder. Michael quickly gathered his coat and keys and within a few minutes, they were standing in front of Michael’s car.

“Aren’t you going to open it?,” Jim asked.

“You didn’t call shotgun. So not yet, in case anyone else comes…”

“Michael…we’re the only ones going. Why would I need to call shotgun? I’m not 10 years old.”

“Well, Dwight always does.”

“Dwight’s an idiot.”

“True. Alright…let’s do it then.” Jim let out a sigh as he slumped into his seat. John Mayer’s “Waiting on the World to Change” blared through Michael’s speakers as he turned the key in the ignition. He was probably singing this at the top of his lungs on the ride over, knowing him, he thought with a small grin. Michael quickly turned it down to the point where Jim couldn’t hear anything more than a gentle humming coming through the air. They backed out of the driveway as Jim fidgeted with the seatbelt to keep it from cutting into his neck and adjusted the seat backward in hopes to find any stitch of comfort in this too-small transport. He looked at his watch. 3:16. This is going to be an adventure.

End Notes:
So Jim is on his way now...but what is Michael doing with him?  Stay tuned to find out...Chapter 3 should be on its way soon!
That Sinking Feeling by A Little Stitious
Author's Notes:
Michael and Jim make their way toward wherever they're going.  Will they meet anyone we know along their path? 

This miserable way is taken by the sorry souls of those who lived without disgrace and without praise…The heavens, that their beauty not be lessened, have cast them out, nor will deep Hell receive them-even the wicked cannot glory in them.

~The Divine Comedy, Inferno, Canto III

The open highway, traveled alone, can be a lonesome place. Jim never imagined it could ever be that way riding in a car with Michael Scott. But there they were, the two of them in Michael’s Sebring, silently passing the miles on the way to their destination. It was almost as if Michael sensed what he was going through and knowingly stayed silent. If his mind hadn’t been working so hard to digest everything that had transpired in the last day, he would have been touched.

The methodical whir of the tires on pavement and the blur of the painted line beside him felt like his only companions as he lost himself in his thoughts. He thought of Karen, and how he really was a jerk to her sometimes. As much as it hurt to lose her, he knew in his heart that she would be better off with someone who could really, truly commit himself entirely to her. He thought of his dad, and he prayed a silent prayer to God that the cancer was contained…he thought maybe he should take a few days off and spend some time back at home, whether he was returning for the job or not. Mostly, he thought of Pam, wondering if she’d heard the news of his possible return or not. Michael can’t keep a secret…I’m sure everyone in the entire office knows by now. If he came back, could they return to their old ways? Would she even want to go back? Would she want to be friends at all anymore? Her silence after calling off her wedding was perplexing. When he heard the news from Kevin during a call to set up their fantasy football league, he was beyond shocked. He’d spent the rest of the night…the rest of the month…truth be told, he’d probably spend the rest of his life…hoping she’d call. He checked his cell, he checked at work first thing every morning…yet still nothing. Best friend my ass, he remembered thinking as he tried to drown his worry in whiskey one night at home. His stance softened in the months after…maybe she was scared…maybe she didn’t know my number…maybe Roy threatened her. Whatever it was, he’d been rejected twice and there was no reason to think he’d want to walk back into that buzz saw again.

“Jimbo, check that out!” Michael was prodding his shoulder and pointing toward something beside the road. It looked like a regular office building to him, although he wondered why the lights were all on at 4 in the morning.

“Yeah, Michael. A building with some lights on. They do stay up past 10 in places other than Scranton, you know.”

“Nope, that’s not just any building…that’s Dunder Mifflin’s IT building. Well, they don’t actually work FOR us…they’re hired by corporate to come fix the messes that people like Toby make. Why don’t we stop in and say hi? I wanted to get some advice about how to set up my home network anyway. Don‘t want Jan or Carol finding anything on my computer I don‘t want them to see,” he said with a wink and a nudge. Before Jim even had a chance to respond (or vomit), Michael had caught the exit and was turning toward the parking lot. This night can’t get much stranger. Jim stepped out of the car and by the time he’d taken two steps, Michael was halfway to the front entrance. “Last one in is a rotten egg!,” he called out. He had to shake his head at Michael’s childishness, yet at the same time he envied his seemingly carefree spirit.

Once inside, Jim immediately realized that now was not the time to be visiting. The alarm above the entrance was buzzing loudly, and in the room to his left, he could see lights flashing on and off, as though controlled by a child flicking a switch back and forth. Women in heels were clacking loudly across the white tile floor between rooms down a long hallway, while men in white lab coats shuffled around, mumbled, huddled together in conferences and generally tried to ignore the cacophony surrounding them.

Jim was about to suggest that maybe they should come back at a better time when Michael firmly grabbed his wrist and pulled him down the hall. As they neared one room in particular, they noticed a blinding white light streaming out, rendering them unable to even look into it to see what was going on. Periodically, someone would go running by them, nearly in tears and itching some random body part, like there was a plague of sorts going on. They entered a large common area where there was some shelter from the bitter screeching of the alarms. It was hardly a better situation, though. A few moments after they walked in, the sprinkler system failed, sending a torrent of water splashing onto the crowd below. As the throng rushed for the exits, Jim and Michael were caught in the stampede and forced out of the room themselves.

As the IT professionals stormed past, Michael spotted Sadiq, the dedicated Scranton tech. “Sadiq! Sadiq!,” he bellowed over the crowd.

Sadiq heard the yelling and with an impatient look, waded his way across the crowd. “Michael, Jim. What are you doing here?” He looked like he’d just run a marathon…his speech was a bit ragged, his clothes worn and his eyes had large black circles under them. Jim guessed that whatever this problem in the building was, it had been going on for a while.

“Well, Michael wanted to get the guided tour of the factory…I think he thought you guys made chocolate here,” Jim quipped. Both of the younger men chuckled, while Michael simply snorted at Jim in defiance. Instinctively, he stuffed his hands in his pockets and toyed with the loose change to keep his hands calm in the chaos. “So, what’s going on here? It looks like World War III started or something.”

The young professional paused, unsure of how to continue. “Well, to start with, our main server went down, and then somehow the power line to the building was cut, so we’re running on a generator, which as you can see is shaky…” He gestured toward the flickering lights. “To top it all off, a shelf in the lab above us tipped over and released the mosquitoes they were experimenting on. We’ve been here for three days straight trying to get it fixed but every time we think we have it, another server crashes.”

“So, why don’t they just send you home?,” Jim asked.

“Well, we were behind to begin with and management says that if we can’t get caught up soon, we might lose some of our big accounts. The entire staff has been on duty here…I’m not sure how much more of this we can take.” He wiped the sweat from his brow as his cell phone rang. He gave a knowing nod and told he caller that he’d be right there. He turned and started to inch away from the two paper employees. “I’m really sorry guys, but I need to get going. We just lost our second to last server and I’m the guy who usually works on that one. I’ll see you later.”

Michael, quiet the entire conversation, began to call out, “But wait, I didn’t get a chance to ask you about my…”

“Michael, they kinda have more important things to do here,” Jim cut him off. “Now let’s get going before we get trampled by the herd.” Michael smiled and they made their way to the exit. Jim felt genuinely sorry for those guys, and a little better about his own situation. “Man, those guys are going through absolute hell in there,” he remarked as they strolled across the parking lot to the car.

“Not quite,” came the quick retort. Jim thought he saw a wink and a small grin tugging at the corner of Michael’s mouth, but passed it off as another of Michael’s oddities…his idea of the ultimate punishment would be no more Pretzel Day. As they re-entered the freeway, the older man turned to him and asked, “To the Chili’s, my young friend?”

“Sure thing, Michael.”

The miles ticked by like grains through an hourglass. Michael again remained silent as he drove, the few bars he’d hum at the beginning of every song he liked notwithstanding. The tranquil purring of the wheels as they touched asphalt combined with the effects of the long day and early morning were beginning to take hold of his consciousness, and before he knew it he was slipping into a peaceful rest. As he slept, he dreamt he was leaning over a ledge and extending his arm downward to something. Looking down, he realized it was Pam, dangling off a tree root. She’d scream “Jim!” and he reached toward her, grasping the warm tips of her fingers before she pulled her hand back and said, “I can‘t do it, Jim. Please go get help!” The anguish of his own inadequacy infuriated him and he wanted to walk away, but at the same time he couldn’t leave his love like that. He reached his hand down again and begged, “Please, Pam….just take my hand. I can save you!” Pam was unable to respond, paralyzed by the fear of falling...or of him. He couldn’t be sure. Disgusted, he turned around and began to walk away when he heard the branch break and Pam call out his name. He dashed back to the ledge but it was too late…she was already falling.

He woke up with a gasp, lurching forward in his seat. Michael turned his head and looked at him funnily. “You ok, Jimster?”

“Uhh, yeah. Strange dream. What time is it?” He wiped his hand across his face, hoping not to trigger one of Michael’s stories about his nightmares.

“It’s 3:16. Well, it’s a good thing you woke up now, because we’re almost there!”

He thought he remembered it being 3:16 when they left, but decided to ignore that for the time being. “Good, cause I’m starving.” He glanced out the window, noting the scenery that was more trees and grass than houses and buildings as he expected. It did look familiar, however. He turned back toward Michael. “Hey, where is this Chili’s at? Sure seems like we’ve gone a long ways.”

“It’s in Scranton,” Michael replied matter-of-factly.

“Scranton?!?,” Jim barely choked out. What the hell? That was the last place on earth he wanted to be tonight. Besides, they had to have driven for three hours now and it wasn’t even beginning to get light yet. “Michael, why did we need to come all this way to grab breakfast? Are you trying to kidnap me?” He was only half-joking.

“You sir, are going to visit the afterlife tonight.” He spoke in that slightly off British accent that he usually used when he was messing around. He’s probably going to take me to a haunted house like we had to visit three Halloweens ago.

“Sure Michael. And just why am I doing that?”

“Because you’re dead, Jim.” His tone turned severely serious and he wondered how Michael could keep a straight face right now…normally he’d have broken down and burst out laughing before they even started at the mere thought of his twisted joke.

“Oh, you got me. Real funny.” He tried his best to genuinely laugh, hoping Michael would drop the increasingly annoying routine.

Michael continued. “James Halpert. Parents Samuel and Larissa Halpert. Born July 7, 1979. Two siblings, an older brother Jonathan and a younger sister Tanya. Attended Dunmore Middle School and Scranton East High School. Majored in journalism with a minor in public speaking at Pennsylvania State University, graduated Magna Cum Laude in May 2001.”

“Ok, so you got my file from Toby. Cute.” He was trying not to encourage the lame gag, but he couldn’t resist a jab at Michael. “I didn’t realize you two had gotten so close since I left.” He grinned as the barb hit its mark.

“Ugh, Toby. He is the devil. Well, not literally, but I would have put him in hell if the big guy didn’t override me.” Repulsion was written across his features. Nevertheless, he went on. “Started walking at 11 months, first word was “doggy,” played Rudolph in the 2nd grade school play, first kiss Kelsi Jones, first date Jennifer Sanderson, biggest fear is rejection, has a guitar but never plays, secretly admires Dwight Schrute…”

“Umm, err, h-h-ow do you know all that? Did you talk to my mom?” He was beginning to get a little nervous.

“I told you…you’re dead, Jim. I know everything about you now.”

He snapped. “Bullshit, Michael! Now tell me what the hell we’re doing in a car going back toward Scranton and why you know all this crap about me!” He could see out of the corner of his eye a sign that said “Leaving New Jersey” as they rolled onto the Delaware River Gap Bridge. A thick cloud of smoke, or perhaps fog engulfed all but the ebony highway shining in the headlights in front of them.

Michael stared straight ahead and calmly said, “If you don’t believe me, just check the messages on your phone.”

“I smashed my phone earlier…it’s sitting on the floor in my apartment.”

“Look in your pocket.”

Jim slipped his hand into his jacket and in astonishment, removed an intact cell phone. He thought for a second that it was just a replacement, but the same worn Chiquita sticker was still there. He smiled…Pam had put that one on there last spring. It was the one place he hadn’t erased or removed whatever had reminded him of her…the last vestige of hope clinging to his psyche like a secluded snowflake under the cool pine boughs in the spring. Snapping back to reality, he flipped the phone open and noted 9 new messages.

Time 3:16 AM Nov. 16, 2006 From: Big Guy Subj: Welcome!

Time 3:16 AM Nov. 16, 2006 From: Big Guy Subj: Re: Jim (From-Tanya Halpert To-Pam Beesly)

Time 3:16 AM Nov. 16, 2006 From: Big Guy Subj: Re: Jim Halpert (From-DunMiff To-All Employees)

Time 3:16 AM Nov. 16, 2006 From: Big Guy Subj: Obituary

………………………………......................................................

Who was this Big Guy? He thought the better of asking Michael, but he could only shut the phone and stare out the window in dead silence. His throat tightened and sweat began to gather on his forehead at the thought that he might really be dead…and not only that, MICHAEL, of all people, was escorting him to Heaven…or maybe was it Hell? He hadn’t been to church in a few years…oh my God….why? He cringed at the thought of his friends in Scranton, and especially Pam, having to find out about his demise from a text message or an email. Despite their distance, they were still friends and he knew she cared about him.

His mind was racing as they neared the far end of the bridge, a mysterious blackness threatening to swallow the car whole on the opposite side. “Michael, please…turn around!, he begged. ” I’m too young to be dead…I’ve got so much left to do…I swear, God, just let me live and I’ll never take anything for granted again. Michael, numb to his pleading, simply continued on his seemingly programmed path into the night. He began to hyperventilate at the thought of the finality that seemed imminent; he thought he’d reached the breaking point when his boss turned and placed a hand on his forehead.

He tilted his head back at the touch and felt a jolt of electricity surge through his body. The last thing he recalled seeing before he blacked out was a large blue sign announcing “Welcome to Pennsylvania-You’ll Want to Stay Forever!”

End Notes:

Not the cheeriest chapter, but Hell isn't a cheery place, is it?  I'll try not to make it too bad on Jim.  Thanks for reading and reviewing!  Look for the next installment tomorrow sometime. :) 

Lost in a Daydream by A Little Stitious
Author's Notes:
Jim enters a dark and shadowy place with Michael...will he be stuck there?

In truth I found myself upon the brink of an abyss, the melancholy valley containing thundering, unending wailings. That valley, dark and deep and filled with mist, is such that, though I gazed into its pit, I was unable to discern a thing.

~The Divine Comedy, Inferno, Canto IV

 When Jim came to, he was suspended in an absolute darkness. He was lying on his side, impeded from moving by solid objects on both sides and the heavy, crinkly solution he was surrounded by. His legs and torso were both strapped down as though he were tied animal, making movement of more than a few inches impossible. He screamed for help…none came. He wondered for a moment if this was what his eternity would consist of. It was uncomfortably cold and disconcerting to be stuck in his position…a few minutes passed before he could spot a tiny light trickling in between the pieces of what he now understood to be sheets of paper. He called out, then heard a scratching a few feet away and the opening of a door.

“Jim! You’re up…I was wondering when you’d decide you had enough beauty sleep.” It was Michael, who was now removing the pile of paper from atop his body. “The backseat was barely big enough for you, Jimbo…had to make sure you were all buckled in, too!” Working the latch of the buckle, Jim extricated himself from the tiny backseat of Michael’s Sebring and picked a few of the spare papers up off the ground. He took a glance to see just what Michael had wasted so many trees writing and throwing on top of him in the back of the car. A Pollok and his drill instructor are skydiving….A priest, a minister and a rabbi were playing golf….What do you call a…? “Jokes, Michael? Why did you write so many jokes out?” He couldn’t wait to hear this one.

“It’s for the comedy! I needed to pull out my best material for this one!”

“Comedy?” He furrowed his brow in mock questioning.

“Yes, Jim…comedy! Didn’t you ever read Dante Al-legory’s Divine Comedy in college?,” Michael responded, eager to make Jim understand what he clearly pictured in his mind.

“Umm, first off, it was Dante Alighieri, and second, Michael, comedy then didn’t mean it was supposed to be funny.”

Michael looked up at him, insult written on his face. “Well, that’s retarded! Why would they call it a comedy then?” A realization dawned on him. “That explains why I didn’t get the lead role when I tried out for it with the traveling theatre…I was ahead of my time!” He waved his finger as though he’d just solved a complex equation, smiling broadly.

Jim was still puzzled as to where Michael was going with this. “So what does that book have to do with what we’re doing? Dante wasn’t dead during the book.”

Michael looked at him sternly, then quickly said, “Oh, you’re not dead. I got you pretty good though, didn’t I?” At that, he started giggling uncontrollably.

He couldn’t believe he’d fallen for anything Michael had plotted, yet still Jim felt as though a huge weight had been removed from his shoulders. He heaved a massive sigh of relief and managed to pull his shaky hands out of his pockets, exaggeratedly checking that they were intact. Still, he wasn’t sure whether this was simply a strange dream or a very abnormal reality. Right now though, he really wished he had read all of the Divine Comedy instead of the bare minimum needed to pass the weekly quizzes his Lit class took on it. He knew there was the Inferno, Purgatory, and Paradise but he was clueless as to what to expect and how this was all related to him. As his eyes adjusted to the low light levels around him, he could make out a sign saying “Pennsylvania Anthracite History Museum and Coal Elevator.” He was thinking that if Michael weren’t so crazy as to be harmless, he’d worry more about someone dragging him out to an abandoned tourist attraction in the middle of the night.

Michael’s voice interrupted his thoughts. “So, buddy, are we going to go in or what?”

“It’s closed, Michael. I’m not sure they’ll be open til next spring, in fact.”

“Oh, I know they’re open. I have some connections with the guy who runs the elevator…my cousin painted his aunt’s house a few years ago. He owed me a favor so he said he’d leave the rear entrance unlocked.”

Jim rolled his eyes at Michael’s implicit trust of just about everyone. “I guess that means we have go through the back door then.”

Michael didn’t miss a beat in firing out a quick, “That’s what she said!” Jim could only shake his head as they circled the building and found the door in question. Michael grabbed the handle and it turned easily, the door opening with a metallic croaking sound to reveal, shockingly, a warmly lit vestibule leading to an open atrium flanking the elevator shaft. As they stepped inside, Jim could faintly hear a dull pounding in the distant underground…perhaps the mine was still in operation despite the museum being closed.

Giddily, Michael strode toward the elevator door and implored Jim to follow him. He pointed toward a sign that stated “Abandon all your cell phones, cameras and other personal and digital devices, all who plan on entering here.” Jim took his phone from his pocket while Michael removed a phone, camera, pager, laser pointer, Groucho glasses, fake teeth, three decks of cards, and two rubber chickens from his seemingly bottomless pockets, depositing them in the makeshift bin to his right.

Once inside, Jim glanced around the contraption…it looked like something you’d see in a 1930s film. The buttons were antiquated and he could see the guide wire above them as well as the walls through the heavy iron slats that boxed in the platform. He wondered whether the thing would even hold their weight. “Hey Michael, isn’t there another elevator we could take?”

“Umm, nope. My friend told me to take this one cause he left it unlocked…I like to think of it as the scenic route into the mine. It‘s more aesthe-nicaby pleasing.” He flipped a lever, causing the machine to screech and roar in its attempt to dislodge itself from the resting place that Jim figured had to have been its home for the last ten years.

“Ok…is it possible your friend is a murderer only trying to lure us into his dungeon to torture us? Cause I’ve seen that in tons of movies.” He smirked as the elevator began to lurch downward. Their slow descent was accompanied only by the chirping of the wheel as it turned on the rusted wire, lunging and croaking its way through the shaft. After several minutes of that sickening serenade, Jim was relieved when the platform stopped. The two men stepped out onto a rock platform facing a heavy iron door. Michael moved forward, pulling a shiny brass key from his pocket and inserting it into the lock on the door. The door opened very smoothly, considering its condition, and Jim stepped across the threshold into a place that looked as normal as a large open space could look when buried 200 feet underground.

The place appeared to be rather idyllic, really…the light looked almost natural, with large fluorescent receptacles dangling from brand new chains on the ceiling. Somehow, they’d managed to get birds in there…he could hear the sweet call of a cardinal in the distance as the robins performed their ceremonial dance across the grass in front of a row of buildings. He could even see a small stream flanked by a pair of stately elms off to his right next to the wall. There were five buildings placed on each side of a central street, paved in brick and surrounded by a smooth sidewalk that Michael led him down. The smell of baking pastries permeated throughout the entire space and a glance in the first shop window confirmed the source of the pleasing aroma. They continued down the sidewalk to the third building.

“Well, this is our stop, Jimbob. Shall we go in?” He motioned toward the door, which he grabbed and held as both the men entered. After a short walk down a hall and up one flight of stairs, they came to a door labeled DUNDER MIFFLIN. Jim couldn’t recall being in any Dunder Mifflin office that looked like this…he grabbed the door handle and started to walk in, only to run straight into a solid wall that formed the top half of the door. Michael burst out laughing, calling out, “Silly! You have to go under that! Why do you think they call it L- well, never mind.” Jim watched as Michael leaned his torso backward and waddled under the door, while he himself chose to just duck under.

Inside, they found an exact replica of the Dunder Mifflin Stamford office, replete with his entire stable of coworkers. They were all busily tapping away on their computers as some pleasing jazz music played over the speakers. First to spot them was Karen, who excitedly jumped from her chair and walked briskly to them. She seemed to be smiling, and her warm exclamation of “Jim!” made him wonder whether she was just playing with him. Soon the entire crowd of his current office mates had surrounded the two. Andy Bernard’s familiar “Tuna!” greeting drowned out the “Hi James” from Tony Gardiner, a cool “Hello Jim" from Hannah, and a chorus of words from the rest of them.

“See, Karen, I told you Tuna would be joining us,” Andy arrogantly remarked to Karen. “Josh said he could be the number 2 man here in this branch pretty soon.”

“Just where is Josh?,” Jim couldn’t resist asking.

“Oh, he had to step out for a while. We’re not sure when he’ll be back,” came the reply from his heavyset office friend, Tony. “So are you staying? This place is pretty awesome, isn’t it? I don’t know that I’d want to leave…”

Jim was trying to pay attention to the harried words of his all-too-excited coworkers but his mind was drifting as he looked around the office. It wasn’t exactly as it had appeared when he first entered. For starters, all the doors were half the size that they should have been, with the top halves fused to the wall with large steel plates. Wonder what’s up with that?, he thought. Seems pretty inconvenient. He watched as Tammy, the Stamford receptionist, contorted her body backward to go under the door much as Michael had done when they came in.

“Pretty nice touch, huh?” Michael had noticed the same act. “I thought it was appropriate.” He nudged Jim in the side and winked. Suddenly it dawned on him. Limbo. The first circle of Hell. Leave it to Michael to take things literally. He laughed lightly and rolled his eyes.

He stepped away from the sphere of his boss’s needling to take in the rest of the office where he’d spent so much time in the last six months. Strolling slowly, he glanced at the walls; at the paintings which framed the space between each window. They looked to be watercolors of a somewhat familiar style. He stopped at the one overhanging his desk and drank it in. It was very simple, yet he felt a strange, comfortable connection with it. It was sort of an odd painting to be placed in an office…a brightly colored Christmas star silhouetted against a dark green background. He smiled as he recalled a different time and place…

“C’mon Pam, just let me do it…I can just reach up and put it right on and be done with it.” He reached for the shiny gold electrified object.

She pulled it away greedily. “No, Jim. I told you…my brothers never let me put the star on top of the tree before, so I want to do it now.” He knew if she kept smiling at him like that, he’d never tell her no…to anything, ever again.

Michael had insisted on a real tree that year. Four weeks before Christmas. No one had volunteered to come in the day after Thanksgiving to decorate it and Michael had insisted that it be done in time for the following Monday‘s “Rein-deer hunting season celebration.“ It was before Ryan started working in the office, so as usual, he assigned the task to Pam. And as usual, he had volunteered to give her a hand so that she could get out in time to join Roy for his family’s day after Thanksgiving party. Right now, they were engaged in a playful argument over who would put the final decoration atop the tree.

“Well Pam, if you insist…I’ll go grab the ladder.” He turned and started to walk toward the utility closet.

“No, just give me a boost here…I can almost reach.”

He stood in stunned silence for a brief moment before turning around. “Are you sure? I mean…”

“What, are you scared of me or something? Not like I'm sick or something.“ She raised her eyes in mock challenge. “Well, unless you’re worried you can’t lift me. Roy says-,” she began, turning her eyes toward the floor.

“Alright,” he quickly interrupted. He had Pam all to himself for a few hours…no need to ruin it by talking about Roy and his callous comment about her putting on a few pounds that he‘d heard several times before. “But don’t be surprised if I have to call in sick with the cooties on Monday.” Her little giggle warmed his heart as it usually did and he stepped toward her. “You ready?”

“Yep.” She stood braced, feet close together and hands outstretched with star in hand as he placed his hands on her waist. The sweater she was wearing rode up on her stomach, and his grip allowed him to feel her soft skin beneath his thumb and index finger. He sensed her stomach muscles tighten slightly as his fingers slid into place for support and his thumbs around her back. I can’t believe this is happening, he thought. He hoped she’d pass off the slight trembling in his hands as he hoisted her into the air as simply strain from lifting, but truth be told, he’d have mustered the strength to lift her a thousand times if she’d wanted him to. Pam deftly placed the decoration onto the top branch of the tree and within seconds, he had placed her back on the ground. To his surprise, she turned and traced her finger quickly across his chest. “You’re so strong,” she said with a giggle. “Just so lanky and…strong.” She pushed her tongue between her teeth and continued, “I bet the girls love when you pick them up like that.” He thought he could see a slight blush on her face as she realized how she’d come off, and he was certain that if he could just freeze this moment in photo form and keep looking at it forever, he would.

“Yep Beesly, they do.” He couldn’t resist teasing her with a wink. “Now, let’s plug this thing in to make sure it looks ok so we can get out of here.”

He was jarred from his daydream by the sound of Michael’s voice. “Earth to Jim! Is anybody in there?” He was waving his hand in front of his face.“Oh, yeah, sorry Michael. What’s up?”

“We need to get going, Jimbo. We got promises to keep, and miles to go before we sweep.” He was moving his arms in a broom-like motion, oblivious to his own error, and Jim wasn’t about to spend the time to explain it to him.

“Alright.” He walked back to the group of his coworkers. “Hey guys, listen, we have to get going…”

Karen looked deflated. “You mean you’re not staying?”

Michael intervened before Jim could speak. “He can’t, Karen. We’ve got to get to Scranton before sunup.”

She looked puzzled. “Where’s Scranton?” Were these people living under a rock? How could they not know about the merger?, Jim wondered.

Michael looked slyly back at her and broke into a grin. “You’ll never know.” With a wink, he grabbed Jim’s wrist and pulled him toward the exit. Andy’s slap on the back and “Later, Tuna” as they ducked under the door and slammed it behind him were the last things he had a chance to take in until they were safely out of the building. Quickly they made their way through the street and back out the iron door, standing on the elevator platform again as the door shut with a loud thud.

End Notes:

So there it is...Jim has entered Hell.  Not too bad, thus far.  Thanks for taking time to read this story and an even bigger thanks to those who've left a review! :)

Airing Dirty Laundry by A Little Stitious
Author's Notes:
Jim visits the next level...who will he meet?  What will he remember?

O living being, gracious and benign, who through the darkened air have come to visit our souls that stained the world with blood, if He who rules the universe were friend to us then we should pray to Him to give you peace for you have pitied our atrocious state. Whatever pleases you to hear and speak will please us, too, to hear and speak with you, now while the wind is silent, in this place.

~The Divine Comedy, Inferno, Canto V 

“So what was so bad about that? That hardly seemed like punishment in there,” Jim asked.

“Those people will never see what the ultimate paradise looks like, because they never believed in the Scranton branch to begin with, Jim.” Michael was looking at him like he’d just told him the sky was green. “The best part is,” he continued as he tried not to laugh, “is that they didn’t know how we rolled in Scranton, so they’ll never even know that Scranton exists.” He began to chuckle.

“So Scranton is Paradise?”

“Um, no, I didn’t say that.”

“You sound kind of defensive.”

“Well, I can’t tell you what Paradise is because I’ve never seen it. David Wallace made me swear…woah, Michael, you’ve said enough…”

Jim tried to press for more answers, but Michael wouldn’t budge. The elevator’s squeaking, lurching descent had reached yet another detour. It looked much the same as the last place, right down to the rock platform and the heavy iron door. Again, Michael removed the key from his pocket and slid it into the lock. With a slight grunt, he pushed the door open and motioned for Jim to step inside. “After you, sir.”

Jim took a step in and noticed immediately that this second room was much more severely decorated than the first one. It was also a large, open space, but rather than buildings and trees, it was populated by small wooden huts. The lighting was dim and the air was cold and damp, with a light, persistent rain falling from the sky, draining into puddles centered in the muddy streets. He could hear the hoot of an owl in a distant, hidden corner covered by dense, sagging spruce trees. He knew that this had to be some sort of step up in punishment…surely they weren’t living the good life here.

At the sound of the door slamming shut, he noticed that the residents of the huts came staggering out into the street, slipping and falling in the mud as they raced toward Michael and Jim. “Food! Food!.” they bellowed…all of them were skinny as poles, as though they hadn’t eaten in weeks. Rushing to beg at their feet, they pleaded for a scrap of food…anything, to sate their hunger. Michael turned toward Jim and whispered, “watch this” from behind his hand. He removed a Snickers bar from his pocket and tossed it into the throng. That incited a skirmish the likes of which Jim had never seen before…kicking and gouging and biting, until one man who was taller and bigger than the rest secured it. He jumped to his feet and hungrily devoured the chocolate bar. He was clearly a newer arrival, obviously stronger than the rest, and not sharing the same gaunt appearance. Jim thought he looked familiar, and as the crowd dissipated, man’s bald head and uncaring features came into clearer focus. This was….

“PACKER!” Michael shouted, running forward and bumping chests firmly with the much bigger man. He briefly staggered backward at the impact but caught his balance. “Me feeding you, just like always.” Michael was clearly delighted to renew his one-sided friendship here.

“Whatever, Scott. I can take care of myself. So who’s your queer buddy here? Oh, hey Halpert, didn’t recognize you when you weren’t dressed like a little girl.” He cackled. Jim felt that this was going to be an incredibly annoying experience.

“Oh! Oh! Packman in the house!” Michael turned and pushed his arms into the air, as though Jim would find it funny at his own expense.

Jim called out, interrupting the singular admiration party. “So, Michael, can we go now?”

“No, not yet. I’ve got to get something from Packer’s hut over there.” He motioned for Jim to follow him as he slogged through the mud and up the ramp into the hut. The thatched roof and bamboo walls belied a decent existence, save for the lack of food and the terrible weather. He could see into each hut as he passed by it…they had a small cot, a toilet, a sink and a tiny screen that appeared to be a television, broadcasting a faint picture across it. Also, each contained one piece of art…he couldn’t see closely but they looked similar to what he’d noticed in the Stamford office.

He made his way into the middle-aged sales rep’s abode and took the time to survey the surroundings. The tiny television was set to a channel that looked like a satellite feed of the earth. It was barely moving and Jim could see how watching something so methodical and inactive all day would nearly be enough to drive on insane.

Michael was picking up a magazine off the table, apology lacing his voice. “Sorry Packer, but this is illegal material. You know you can’t have Maxim in here. Reader’s Digest and Newsweek only. The Big Guy is making me confiscate it.” He looked as though he was on the verge of tears at the thought of punishing his friend, and he knew that Packer could easily talk him out of it. Surprisingly, he didn’t try, giving in and moping over to sit on his cot. Jim spotted the painting sitting above the head of the man he had no sympathy for. It was another watercolor…lacking a bit of the vividness of the ones he’d seen displayed at the Stamford office, but otherwise a fine portrait of an everyday item. The edges were a little smudged as though the artist’s hand had wiped across it before it had dried…still, the image of a basket of laundry filled with bright, showy shirts and pants sent his mind wandering again…He’d been standing in the local laundry mat…whenever he wasn’t dating anyone, he liked to come here on Saturday nights to avoid some of the rush. Everyone who had a life then was either out on a date or home with their families, leaving single loners like him to either hang around their apartments or go find something to do. He didn’t mind washing, drying and folding as much as he thought he would, the way his mother usually complained about it when he was a kid. Of course, he didn’t have to take care of three kids, feed a family and work a full time job on top of it, so he figured he should hold off on declaring his love for it too much. He silently laughed, then returned to his bitter reality.

Here he was on Saturday night, completely alone in the laundry mat, thinking about his disastrous date with Brenda from the night before. She probably blocked his number by the time she got in the front door of her apartment. Talk about nothing in common, he thought. He was only in that position because he’d dumped Katy in a knee-jerk reaction over Pam‘s engagement on the booze cruise. He sighed as he pulled the last fabric softener sheet from the box and put it in the dryer. This time it was for real, and as he slid the sheet between his fingers, he couldn’t help but feel the thinly veiled irony of the minute gesture in the grand scheme of his life. He closed the machine and sat down in a random chair, grabbing the Time magazine off the table to read over. He had just flipped open the table of contents page when he heard a familiar voice.“Jim?”

“Hey Pam,” he responded before he’d even looked up. It was as natural a reaction to her voice as breathing when he needed air. He turned his head upward and beheld Pam, a basket full of laundry under each arm and a bottle of Tide dangling from her weary fingers. He snapped out of his gazing mode and quickly jumped to her aide. “Here, let me help you with that.” He grabbed the bottle of detergent and one of the baskets, carrying them to the counter beside the machine next to his. He hoped it didn’t seem too presumptuous, and was relieved when she set hers beside it and opened the washer. “So what are you doing here tonight, Beesly?”

“Oh, the washer broke and Roy’s out at Poor Richards with his brother and some friends. We’re supposed to be at his step mom’s for dinner tomorrow night so I have to get this done tonight.” She gestured toward the laundry, her eyes begging him not to make a comment on Roy. When he didn’t say anything, she continued. “Sooo…one could ask the same of you. I thought you’d be out with Brenda again.” He thought he could hear a little bit of jealousy tinting her words, but he thought it best to ignore it.

“Yeah…we went out last night. Didn’t go so well…I accidentally knocked her wine glass into her lap, picked a dud of a movie and ended up running into a college girlfriend of mine who just wouldn’t leave me alone. Plus, she never laughed at any of my jokes. So I *don’t* think I’ll be seeing her again,” he chuckled a bit uncomfortably.

“Oh, too bad…so you traded a warm body for some warm clothes, eh?” Her bright smile melted the nervousness out of his expression.

“I guess so,” he shrugged as he let out a hearty laugh.

Quickly, they fell into their usual routine of joking and laughing, scanning the magazines on the table for ridiculous articles or funny captions; creating wild commentaries, news bulletin-style, for what the people who sauntered by on the street were doing.. When his laundry was finished drying, she helped him fold it…he felt a little uncomfortable at the thought of the woman of his dreams, whom he was barred from being with, helping him fold his boxers, but she didn’t miss a beat…in fact, everything looked a lot better than when he did it. He stayed around and gave her a hand with her laundry, she gently needling him that she would be blaming him for any wrinkles in her clothing and he telling her that with free help, you get what you pay for. He imagined that this could be their life….their Saturday nights spent doing the mundane tasks that he just couldn’t envision ever getting boring, so long as he had her in his life…if he would just take a chance…if she would just let him.

It was nearly midnight when they finished up…he’d taken his clothing out to his car some time before and then helped her carry what she had out to hers.. The laundry safe inside, he straightened his back out to face her and say goodnight. She caught him off guard when she quickly stood up on her tiptoes and kissed him softly on the cheek. “You’re the greatest, you know?,” she said softly. “Some girl is gonna be lucky as hell to have you take care of her someday.” She smiled…he could hear his heart thumping wildly in his chest.

“Oh,” was all he could manage, feeling both ghostly white and beet red at the same time. Regaining his composure, he quickly opened her car door and she slipped inside. “Well, goodnight Beesly. See ya at work on Monday.”

“Night Jim,” she said as she closed the door and turned the key. As she was driving away, all he could do was stare into the darkness, smiling uncontrollably. Yeah, it was a good night.

His deep thoughts were broken by the sound of a bell clanging loudly outside. Packer nearly knocked him over in his mad rush out of the hut. Jim moved to the doorway and watched as the entire village traipsed through the deepening mud toward a truck parked in the corner nearest the entrance door. He and Michael walked their way slowly across the slippery expanse to the iron door and paused for a few seconds to take in the chaos of what apparently was feeding time in this area. It looked like little more than slop, but the men devoured it before it would even hit the ground. On the off chance that it did hit the ground, some would eat mouthfuls of mud, desperate for nutrition. Sometimes, they’d try to jump onto the chow wagon, but the guards would simply push them back down with a three-pronged fork. One solitary person didn’t make it, lying face down in the mud halfway between his hut and the wagon. With once last glance, Jim and Michael left the room and closed the door behind them.

“So what were those guys in for? I figured Packer would have a lot worse fate than that,” Jim quipped.

“Well, those are what we call corporate pigs,” Michael said. They didn’t do much good in their dealings with us, but they were relatively harmless because they just didn’t know what they were doing. You see, Jim…Packer…he’s a boor, but he doesn’t know any other way. He never has known any other way. Some people just don’t have the self-awareness of you or I.”

Jim tried hard not to laugh hysterically at the absurdity of Michael’s declaration of self-awareness, although he could see his point. “Huh. I never thought about it that way.” As they stepped onto the elevator platform, he could only wonder just what kind of sights the rest of this journey would bring.

End Notes:

Thanks for reading!  I hope you enjoyed it! :)

Your constructive criticism compliments are always welcome! haha

Drowning In Memories by A Little Stitious
Author's Notes:

Another level down...who's gonna show up this time? 

Remember now your science, which says that when a thing has more perfection, so much the greater is its pain or pleasure.

~The Divine Comedy, Inferno, Canto VI

Jim paused for a moment as Michael deftly cajoled the platform to a stop. This entire experience had been so surreal…and the people he knew and sort of liked were in it. He wondered if this was what the whole journey would be…a meeting with people from his past and present…to persuade or dissuade him to rejoin or rebuff the place he grew up in business as well as in life. In his heart, he knew that he only truly needed the approval of one…or the hint of approval of one…and the decision would be out of his hands.

A steady drip of water fell from above onto the floor, the droplets shattering into hundreds of pieces as they landed, running down the slate platform and cascading into the silent pit below. When they stepped off, it was slippery, even with his running shoes…he thought that he was glad the elevator didn’t swing far out or someone could lose their footing and fall right off. Michael made quick work of the key again and moved to push it open. It budged, albeit with a forceful grunt, revealing a dimly lit corridor behind. Michael snagged one of the lit torches off the wall, guiding the way as they came to a smaller door. It was unlocked, and the two men silently crept into the large cavern beyond.

The first thing Jim noticed was that it was cold…he wished he’d remembered to grab a sweater or something back at home. The low light made it tough to see anything in the distance, but he thought he could make out the outline of a low, flat-roofed building beside a pit or a lake of some sort. Otherwise, the entire space had a dry, sterile feeling…there were no trees, no plants, no birds or fauna of any kind, visible or audible. Jim idly stuffed his hands into his pockets as he and Michael slowly wandered down a dirt path toward the structure. Dust flew with each footstep, quickly churning a suffocating cloud into the impotent air.

They walked for minutes, or maybe hours, before they’d arrived at the building. Jim thought that it looked even more ragged from up close than it had at a distance…worn and weathered, the door was a collection of crudely hewn driftwood, one board clinging to existence by a single nail leaving a gap to reveal what lay within. Michael pushed the door open and Jim stepped into the tired structure, wary of the danger that he might find another weak spot with any misplaced step.

The inside of the shed was a mirror of its exterior. Jim looked to see some people huddled in corners, others lying on the ground, and others still standing and staring blankly into the distance. He glanced at one older man…he held his arms away from his body, his fingers splayed as though touching them together were painful. His skin was sere and red, small fissures tracing the ridges and valleys of his withered hands. The look in his eyes was intense, like he was determined not to give in to some hidden temptation, yet failing. Surveying the room, the same gaze sat across the face of everyone there. No one was speaking…no one was laughing, or joking, and he even wondered if anyone was breathing.

Suddenly, a shriek came from the back of the room...“I can’t take it anymore!” A woman flashed by the pair, running toward the door. Two of the others tried to corral her before she escaped, but she was too fast. Jim and Michael rushed to the door and stepped outside. The woman covered the dusty expanse between the building and the body of liquid in two steps and leapt headfirst into the murky concoction. The two who had been chasing her followed like lemmings, diving in on top of her. Within moments, all three were screaming in agony…Jim thought he might lose his breakfast if he’d had any. He thought he even heard Michael gasp and whisper, “Oh, God!”

“Leave ’em be!” A woman called out from behind them. Turning, Jim spotted yet another familiar face.

“Meredith…wow, I didn’t expect to see you here. WHAT is that?,” he asked, pointing toward the makeshift pond.

“That’s formalin…it’ll preserve them until it’s time to dig them out.” Jim felt his stomach churn as she continued, “bad thing is, it hurts like hell in all these cuts.” She pointed to her arm, displaying the marks and scrapes like the others.

“And the whole death experience is probably part of the bad thing, too…” He felt sort of lame for attempting to joke in this situation, but was heartened when Meredith laughed.

“Oh, they’re still alive…they’ll just be in a lot of pain until they come drag them out and bring them inside again.” She must be familiar with this procedure, he thought.

“Huh. So what is this supposed to teach anyone?” He wasn’t sure if she’d even know but he was curious.

Michael interrupted before she could open her mouth. “Well, Jim…the purpose…” He was trying to sound official, when in fact he just sounded silly. “…of this is to teach these folks that staying dry…is painful…but drowning in your own sorrows is much, much more painful.” He was pointing back and forth between Jim and Meredith as he smiled at his own clever explanation. “Am I right, Meredith?”

She could hear a catch in her voice as she said, “I guess so…I mean, I quit 6 months ago and haven’t touched a drink since.” She was avoiding eye contact with both men in an effort to hide her obvious lie.

“See, Jim! Another Michael Scott success story!,” Michael squealed. He was oblivious, as usual.

He needed to change the subject. “Can we go inside now, Michael? It’s kinda cold out.”

Once inside again, he noticed something he’d almost forgotten to look for in here…there was a small, nearly camouflaged photo frame placed on the far wall. He walked casually over and took a glance. The painting, in oil this time, was scratched up a bit in each corner, but the subject was still visible in the center. It was a plain white can of paint, with a smear of light green color streaking down the side, as though the painter had dripped some and tried to sop it up with a brush. He thought of the last time he’d seen that color….“So I was at Sherwin Williams last night and I found this awesome color of paint for my new bathroom.” She was looking at him, obviously giddy over her find. She and Roy were moving to a new apartment, so Pam had the opportunity to paint and decorate as she pleased. She looked radiant, and he marveled at how she could be so excited over something so simple.

“Really? That sounds exciting.” He couldn’t resist…when she smiled, he did. It was like shaking a person’s hand when they extended it…reciprocation came naturally. He thought that if they worked together long enough, they might end up looking like an old married couple…smile and frown lines matching each other in perfect symmetry. He shook his head slightly to dislodge that thought from his mind.

“Oh yeah. Totally, Halpert. I’ll bring in the sample to show you some time.”

“Deal.”

A few days later, he gathered his belongings at five and made his way to reception for the nightly walk out with Pam. As he grabbed her jacket and held it out for her to slip her arms into, she stopped him.

“Hold on a sec, Jim. I forgot that I brought that paint sample with me today.” She reached into her bag and slipped a small sheet of laminated paper into his hand.

He looked at it briefly, five subtly differing hues arranged vertically on a white background. “So which one is it?”

She leaned over his elbow and lightly touched her finger on the 2nd from the top. “Umm, it’s that one.”

He needed only to rest his eyes on it for a moment when he recognized the color. Her eyes. He smiled, tempted to point it out to her. After all, she always said she didn’t like the color of her eyes, wishing she could have been born with the vibrant blues that some lucky people got. Now, here she was praising the “awesomeness” of the hazel-green tint he was studying in her expectant eyes, and she didn’t even know it. She has no idea how beautiful she is right now, he thought. Just go for it, Halpert. “It’s perfect.” The wide smile on her face validated that section of the answer. Now for the tricky part…“In fact-”

“Pammy!,” came the masculine voice from behind them. It was Roy. He grabbed her hand possessively as she smiled warmly up at him. “Hey babe, you ready to go?”

“Umm, yeah. I was just showing Jim the color we’re going to paint our bathroom,” Pam replied. Jim handed the small tag of paper back to her as she slipped on her jacket.

Roy grabbed her bag and slipped his arm around her shoulder, turning toward the door. “You know what, babe? I just remembered what that color reminds me of.”

Jim felt suddenly sick. He is NOT going to grab that idea right out from under me. He wished he could close off his ears so as not to have to listen.

“That looks like the color of the dress you wore to your sister’s wedding.”

Pam turned her head slowly, beaming. “You remembered that? That’s so sweet.” She tilted her head up and the last thing Jim saw as they walked out the door was Roy’s lips on hers, most likely headed for a night of romance…well, as much romance as a lug like Roy could give her. He would give anything to show her how much more than that there was out there, just once…he would gladly set forth everything he had to offer every day and night for the rest of their lives if only he had that one opportunity...that sliver of chance that would never materialize.

His next move was only logical…he rushed in the direction of the bathroom.

His vision came into focus as he emerged from the blurry confines of his dream world. He turned to Michael, who was simply watching him with an all-knowing look of concern on his face.

“You alright, Jimbo?”

“Never better, Michael,” he lied. “So, anything else to see here?”

“Nopers. Let us depart, then!”

After a quick goodbye to Meredith and one last glance around (was that Billy Joel in the chair over there?), they were walking slowly back across the dusty courtyard toward the entrance, doing their best to avoid choking on the suspended dirt.

“So, what do you think so far?,” Michael casually asked.

“Well, it’s a little weird…like for instance, what’s with the art? It’s kinda plain…I always thought there’d be gargoyles and huge murals of demons and such in Hell,” he joked.

“Well, we’re trying this new thing…no more demons. It’s an HCLU thing.”

“Don’t you mean ACLU?”

“No. HCLU. Hellenic Civil Liberties Union.”

“Doesn’t that have something to do with Greece, Michael?” Jim raised his eyebrow at his boss in jest.

“Would you quit asking so many questions, Jim? It’s just what it’s called, alright?” Michael appeared to be a little frustrated with at him over his pressure, so Jim backed off. Once inside the narrow corridor, they let the door snap shut behind them and exited the main gate. Safely back on the elevator, Jim worried silently whether this experience was only going to get worse before it got better.

End Notes:

Meredith in Hell for her drinking ways?  Who would have guessed?  I hope you enjoyed this chapter! 

I didn't write anything more today but I've got another chapter left in the tank, so I should update again tomorrow.

Tasting of Sugar and Breaking Hearts by A Little Stitious
Author's Notes:

Jim meets another of his officemates and has another flashback.  Another best/worst first date (from TC deleted scene TH), with a little twist.

Your knowledge cannot stand against her force; for she foresees and judges and maintains her kingdom as the other gods do theirs. The changes that she brings are without respite: it is necessity that makes her swift; and for this reason, men change state so often.

~The Divine Comedy, Inferno, Canto VII

As the elevator rumbled its was further down the tunnel, Jim stood in silence, watching the rock walls slowly pass by into the dark. He’d never taken geology but he found it interesting that the walls got darker as they descended. He eyed a spot on the wall…it looked like someone had written on it in chalk, but the water trickling across it had erased it almost entirely from the face. About halfway (judging by the time it normally took) between the levels, he felt the pulley roll over a hard object on the wire, then strike the other side with a loud click.

“What was that, Michael?,” he asked.

“What was what?,” Michael replied as he tinkered with the control panel.

“That loud clicking sound! Did you not hear it?”

“Probably just the lock to keep this from going back up once it’s down.” Again, a perfectly straight face told Jim that he really wasn’t fibbing.

“That is just…great,” he replied under his breath, to no one in particular.

Their transport ground to a halt, settling next to the fourth identical platform Jim had set foot on thus far. Michael’s key once again fit the lock and he leaned into the door, not budging it. “A little help, Jim? This thing’s pretty heavy.” Jim aided his guide and pushed…the door swung open fairly easily with the two of them. They stepped forward onto a foot bridge spanning a narrow crevasse between the rocks…upon reaching the opposite site, Jim noticed a striking difference between this area and the last few. It was bright and warm, with no sign of any strange features that would indicate that it was a place of punishment. There were a few small buildings tucked into the right-hand hillside…they looked nice enough, yellow with grey trim, well kept shrubs and even a garden in one of the yards. The left side was dotted with fruit orchards, apples and plums dangling from the overflowing branches. Even the people bustling around the street looked healthy and well-fed…maybe even too much so, if he were to be honest. Michael motioned for him to follow him, and they walked down a winding, cemented path to the grassy field blanketing the area between the trees and houses.

Suddenly a booming voice split the air…”Jim! Look out!!” It was too late for Jim to react to the unseen threat though, as he felt a piercing blow sting his forearm. It was quickly followed by another on his chest and Jim cowered to the ground, unsure of what was happening. Michael grabbed his arm and pulled him to his feet as he noticed a large figure moving quickly toward him. The man was dressed in all black with the exception of his face, which was dotted with welts and recognizable as the same source that had produced the warning he’d received….Kevin Malone. His portly coworker turned and shielded Jim from the onslaught as they all shimmied into one of the buildings.

Once inside, Jim cast an uncertain glare at Kevin’s attire. “Is that a paintball outfit?,” he asked.

“Y-Yes,” came the reply.

Michael looked on sternly. “Don’t you know, Kevin, that you are not allowed to wear anything but the standard uniform in here?” He swung his arm toward the window, and Jim noticed that everyone outside was wearing a thin, toga-like outfit with no head covering. Most of them had the same welts Kevin had on his face and plenty more on their arms and legs. “Now tell me who smuggled this in here so I can punish them. Was it Rosie? Al?”

Kevin smirked. “Creeeeed,” he giggled.

“Creed? He’s not even in here…how would he..”

“Creed is a man who knows how to get things…if you know what I mean.” Kevin continued to giggle.

“So where is Creed, if he’s not here?” Jim interjected.

Michael looked at him and sighed loud. “I’m not allowed to tell you that…how much crap is it that I can’t even tell my best friend about Creed’s whereabouts?”

Jim quickly cut him off. “We’re not best friends though.”

Michael looked as though he’d been kicked in the shin. “Well, I can’t tell you either, then,” he growled. He turned and stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind him. Jim started after him but decided to let him go, knowing that he’d have forgotten about the incident in twenty minutes…he’d probably get teary eyed, apologize profusely and try to hug him. He turned to say something to Kevin, but the chubby accountant was sprawled out on the floor, fast asleep. He wandered down the short hallway in search of the bathroom, his eye catching a small charcoal drawing tucked on the end wall. Coming closer, he could see that although the peripheral setting was blurred, it was a sketch of a salt shaker…spiral glass and small holes that he could nearly see glistening in spite of the time that’d passed since he’d seen that exact shaker….

“Oh my God, Pam! You did not!!” He was laughing so hard his stomach had begun to hurt.

“Yes, yes I did, Halpert. And if you keep laughing at me like that, I’m afraid the days of you and me hanging out are over.” She was unable to keep a the smile from her face, even though she was sticking her tongue out in disgust at the repulsive taste.

Calling me by my last name already. She is SO great, he thought. “I know, Beesly. If you keep on pouring salt in your iced tea like that, the high blood pressure will get you before you’re 30.”

“Oh, shut up!” She slapped him on the arm. “You know that thing looks just like a sugar dispenser. It even has the pour spout!”

They both slipped into a fit of laughing…there were a few puzzled glances in their direction, wondering what the commotion was. He was pretty sure that over Pam’s shoulder he saw one of the waitresses nudge another, point at them and faux swoon as she placed her hand over her heart. Had he not been so completely content in the moment, he’d have been worried that they were causing a scene. Truthfully, this was by far the best first date he’d ever been on. He and Pam had just clicked when they met on Monday, sharing an unseen connection…like a thread into each other’s mind that ensured that awkward pauses and uncomfortable silences would never be a problem when they talked. It was Wednesday morning when he summoned the nerve to ask if she wanted to grab lunch with him. She normally left the office for lunch anyway, and he’d “forgotten” his lunch that day, so it was convenient. She didn’t need any prodding to agree, and when he suggested Cuginos as they strolled through the front door, she enthusiastically responded, “Ooh, I love Italian food!” He felt the heat shoot through his chest and a slight tingle in his toes as he looked down at her with a half-smile and shot back, “Well, that’s perfect, because it just so happens to be my favorite too.”

Now here they were, laughing and joking like they’d known each other for years. Jim offered to call the waitress to bring her a new iced tea but Pam didn’t want to cause an inconvenience…she’d just go to the front counter and ask for a new one. As she stepped to the counter, Jim spotted the familiar slim figure of his mother come walking through the side entrance, University of Scranton Art Department tote bag, small sketchpad and umbrella in hand. She strolled up to stand next to Pam, not noticing Jim, as they had a corner table on the same side. He couldn’t help but notice the identical relaxed posture of both Larissa Halpert and the woman whose company he was now enjoying…he wasn‘t able to stop the smile from spreading across his face as he watched this scene play out from afar. He secretly hoped they’d somehow speak to each other, and he strained his ears with a voyeuristic curiosity to hear as he heard Pam speak up.

“Um, could I get a new iced tea, please?,” She said.

The waitress stared at her blankly. “What happened to that one? It looks full to me.”

“Oh, uh, I accidentally grabbed the salt shaker instead of the sugar.” He could tell she was probably blushing, as she tilted her head slightly downward. He heard his mother chuckle, and knowing her inability to resist such a golden situation to start a conversation, even with perfect strangers…
Game on, he thought.

Larissa spoke up. “That sounds like something one of my kids would do, except they’d do it on purpose. When the boys were little, they’d stick anything in each other’s drinks. Every night at dinner was like Christmas, with the “gifts” they’d leave each other. And the fighting afterward every time,” she chuckled.

Pam mimicked her laugh,, saying “Yeah, well I don’t think I’ll ever live this one down either. Maybe literally, with as much sodium as I ingested in the one sip of it I could stomach.” His mother laughed heartily as the waitress handed Pam a fresh iced tea. She began to turn before looking down at the older woman’s bag and stopping. “Nice bag,” she said, “do you take the community art classes at U of S?”

“Actually, hun, I work in the art department. I’m an advisor.” She smiled warmly. Jim thought that she’d be more than pleased to find out they had another connection besides art.

Pam stood back, slightly shocked. “Oh wow. I started taking some art classes at LCC a few years ago but I kinda got sidetracked. I’d really like to take some more but I don’t know if I can fit it in with my new job and all. Do you offer any night programs?” She meekly looked down at her hands, and Jim wondered why the hesitation.

“Absolutely we do,” his mother offered. “I’m sorry, what’s your name?” She extended her hand.

Pam extended hers and they shook briefly. “Pam.”

“Nice to meet you Pam. I’m Larissa. I’d really like a chance to get to know you better. I think you might be very interested in what I can offer you at the University of Scranton.” She held out a small business card, placing it in Pam’s hand. “Here’s my card…give me a call sometime in the office and we can talk about our programs, ok? Do you have any samples, because I could send them to some of our professors and give you a hand with the application.”

Pam was beaming again. “Gosh, that’s really nice of you.” She glanced at the card. “Yeah, I’ve been doing some painting on my own lately, plus I have stuff from when I was in classes.”

“That‘s good then.” his mother replied. “U of S is a great option for locals like yourself. We accept transfer credits, so if you wanted to work toward a degree, you’d already have a start. I really hope to hear from you, Pam.”

“Yeah, maybe I will,” Pam said.

“Great, and definitely send in your samples too. I’ll bet they’re great.” his mother responded warmly.

He thought he saw Pam blush lightly. “That’s nice of you. It might be tough though with my new job and…”

His mother smiled sensitively, sensing uncertainty in Pam’s voice. She cut her off…“Well, I’m not sure how fulfilling your new job is…maybe it‘s comfortable and you can see yourself there the rest of your life relatively happily. But just remember, it’s never too late to go after what your really love, honey. Just give us a chance.”

Jim could hardly believe the conversation he’d just overheard. He sat as Pam said goodbye and made her way back to their table, then watched his mom wait patiently for her order to be done. After a few minutes, the waitress handed her a small box and she turned toward the exit. Jim smiled as his mother caught his eyes from the front, then turned abruptly and walked hurriedly toward the table.

“Jim!” she exclaimed as she set the pizza box on the table beside them.

“Hi mom,” he said, standing up to give her a hug. He could see Pam’s eyes wide in their sockets, shock written across her lips. He slid his plate over next to the window and motioned for his mother to sit down. She did, folding her hands as she placed them on the table in front of her. She smiled broadly, looking at Pam and then back to Jim. It seemed as though each of them was looking back and forth between the others, unsure of how to proceed.
Oops, I wasn’t supposed to have heard their conversation, Jim remembered. “Oh, mom, this is Pam. Pam, this is my mom.”

“Pam and I are a little familiar with each other already, honey. We met at the front counter…she was thinking about signing up for some art classes with us,” his mother responded.

“She also told me a few inside secrets about you and your brother that will come in handy some day,” Pam said with a bit of glee. All three laughed and Jim threw up his hands as if to signal his innocence.

Larissa used her hand to shield her mouth and turned to Jim. “She is adorable,” she said quietly. Jim could tell by her wild grin and chirpy voice that she was pleased, and he knew Pam could hear what she said because he saw her turn a slight shade of red. The older woman stood up and grabbed the pizza box from the adjacent tabletop. “Well kids, I have to get going. Your father is waiting on this pizza, and you know how he gets when he’s kept from his food.” Jim laughed, and she continued…”Pam, sweetie, please do call me. I’d love to help you out. Or, you could just stop by the house sometime.” She gave Jim the look that he knew meant he was expected to be bringing her by for dinner ASAP...she looked ecstatic, beaming and proud of her son‘s good taste. Pam, however, looked a bit uncomfortable. “Well, I’m going now…you two have fun on the rest of your date.”

Pam cut in. “Oh, Mrs. Halpert, this isn’t a date.” She laughed nervously. “We’re just friends out having lunch together…I’m engaged, actually, to Roy Anderson from the warehouse at our company.”

Jim felt the panorama around him cut to a tiny focus…the stab of pain in his chest felt as though it might kill him, and his stomach twisted into a knot immediately. He tried to put on a face that belied his devastation but he could tell by the look of concern on his mother’s face that she had caught his reaction and knew he was hearing the news for the first time as well.

“Oh. Well, congratulations then. But you’re still welcome to call me.” She gripped Jim’s shoulder sympathetically and kissed his cheek. “See you later, honey,” she said. She turned back to Pam. “Remember what I said, dear…it’s never too late.” She smiled and then turned to leave, turning her bag on her shoulder. It accidentally clipped the salt shaker , sending it cascading to the floor, shattering into dozens of jagged shards. She offered to help clean up but Jim waved her off. He was going to have to pick up this mess himself.

It was funny how the mere thought of that moment made his stomach churn, but he suddenly needed to find that bathroom more badly than he had before. He exited and made his way to the living room where Kevin was watching the Victoria’s Secret fashion show and giggling loudly. He decided to leave him alone and go find Michael…anything to get the hell away from here, he thought.

Stepping outside, he didn’t need much time to find Michael. He was sitting Indian-style in the middle of the grassy expanse, being pelted periodically by flying candies in the exact same spot, just below his collar. He walked over to him, hands inside his pockets. “Michael, listen…I’m sorry about that, back there. You’re a good friend, and I should have treated you as such.”

Michael turned and looked him in the eyes…he could see that he’d been crying. “Oh, Jimbo, you have no idea how that makes me feel!” He stood up and tightly hugged him. “You can be like the son to me that Ryan never wanted to be!”

“Oh, I don‘t think I want to get into that kind of thing,” Jim replied. Changing the subject quickly, he asked “So, why were you being hit in the same place every time?”

“It was hitting me in my grief bone,” Michael responded as though a grief bone were a real chunk of calcified material somewhere within his body. “In here, the guns will hit you in the place that you hurt the most every time. The gluttons in here can’t come outside most of the time, and they can’t eat from that orchard over there until the lose enough weight to meet the standards.” He waved at the copse of trees lining the opposite wall.

“Weird,” Jim replied thoughtfully. “Can we go now…I’d rather not be pelted with tiny candies again.”

“Absofruitly, Jimster. Let’s go.”

 

End Notes:

Thanks for reading!  Leave a note if you want.

Chapter 8 should be up tomorrow hopefully!

South America by A Little Stitious
Author's Notes:

It's been forever since I updated...holiday and s****e stuff keeps the writing bug in check, I guess.  Anyway, here it is....this one is dedicated to Rocker Creed. ;-)

But I saw well enough how he had covered his first words with the words that followed after- so different from what he had said before; nevertheless, his speech made me afraid, because I drew out from his broken phrase a meaning worse-perhaps-than he'd intended.

~The Divine Comedy, Inferno, Canto IX

The elevator ride was uneventful as any of the five that had preceded it, and within a few minutes, Jim and Michael had made their way to another rocky platform. Michael’s key fit the lock yet again, and with Jim’s help, they were able to jar the door loose and soon were standing in something that looked like a control center for a TV network. The scene before them was chaotic, with alarms blaring, papers flying and people running frantically from side to side adjusting sliders and writing things on slips of paper. Jim sensed a disconnect between this area and the others he’d seen before…he wasn’t sure what these people were doing here, but he thought maybe whatever was through the small door on the other side might give him a clue.

“Here, take these,” he heard Michael utter as he reached for the handle. He placed a pair of earplugs and sunglasses into his hand, opening the door to a flood of light and sound. Stepping through the archway, Jim took in the room…the walls and floor glittered with a pearlescent sheen, white from base to ceiling, and a single light shone fiercely from the center. He thought that had he not had sunglasses on, he wouldn’t have been able to see a thing, and judging by the group of people standing in front of him, his estimation was correct. The sound in the room was nearly unbearable…a dull roar not dissimilar from that of a football stadium’s. Mostly, it just felt hot and humid…stuffy, despite the relative dearth of souls in the wide spread of space. He thought that this felt more like the common vision of Hell…uncomfortable, abysmal, hopeless. The two of them waded through the sea of wandering, senseless bodies until Michael grabbed onto an outstretched arm, pulling both Jim and the mystery person toward the wall. He pushed a small panel, opening a hole in the wall that they practically burst into.

Once inside, the features and familiar figure of the mystery person came into clear view…Phyllis took a step toward him, rubbing her eyes even as she exclaimed, “Jim!” He looked at Michael, wondering what the sweet office matron could have done to deserve this punishment. Certainly she didn’t have it in her to cause anyone harm…well, except maybe Angela during the Party Planning Committee meetings, but he figured that one was a free pass for anyone. He still was unsure of who was running things here…was this some kind Michael-run playhouse…or was it bigger than that?

He was about to ask when Phyllis spoke up again…”Come on, Jim…I want to show you something.” She smiled as she motioned toward the far wall. He covered the distance in a few steps, stopping near a deteriorating canvas splashed with an oil facsimile of a small, furry creature, possibly a mouse or chipmunk. He couldn’t be certain, because the tattered canvas hung loose on the wall, necrotic shreds of its very being exposed to the harsh humidity of the room. He peered closer, noting that it was a South American map, he drifted off into the first thought in his mind when it came to South America….

It was that time again….Michael’s 4th quarter camaraderie event was upon them, and this time, it meant a cramped, three hour bus ride from Scranton to Philadelphia to visit the “nation’s oldest zoo.” Michael created the theme of “Going Wild on the Competitors,” even going so far as to print a banner at Kinko’s that lasted nearly to the exit of the Scranton Business Park lot before falling off. He also printed off several dozen sets of Mickey Mouse ears, apparently unaware that they were not going to Disney World.

Jim leaned back and sighed. If there was any consolation in this entire affair, the warehouse staff was not invited because Jan wouldn’t approve the expenditure for anything more than the office workers, due to the branches poor quarterly performance. That meant no Roy. Jim loved the moments he could steal away from work with Pam, hording them in his memory banks like goldenrod sapping up the last rays of a sunny autumn day. He looked to his left, to watch as she peered out the window…he wondered what she thought about as she watched the white lines zip by…whether she ever thought about Roy, and him, and if anywhere in her mind, she knew the truth about the two closest men in her life that was so evident in his own mind. He knew she certainly had to be thinking of anything besides this rickety bus that seemed have been rented from the Korean War surplus store.

The rolling coffin finally ground to a halt and they piled onto the sidewalk in front of the entrance. Michael doled out tickets and gave some sort of little speech about how they should always pair up in groups of three because “you never know what kind of weirdos lurk in these zoos.” He propped his mouse ears up on his forehead and removed his sweatshirt, revealing a “Michael Scott, PhD-Animal Love” T-shirt beneath. “Yeaahhhh…that’s not creepy or anything,” Jim whispered to no one in particular.

Once inside, everyone seemed to go their separate ways. Dwight grabbed Michael by the wrist and went running toward the bear exhibit, Angela and Oscar meandered off to Big Cat Falls, Kevin made a beeline for the hot dog stand, Phyllis and Kelly admired a peacock that was strolling around the open park, Toby snapped photos of random creatures, Creed and Meredith both vanished mysteriously, Devon walked into the first building he spotted, and Stanley found the nearest bench to sit and do his crossword puzzles.

“Well Beesly, looks like it’s just you and me left,” Jim said playfully as Pam glanced at the map.

“What, you trying to get rid of me, Halpert?” she shot back. “Because if you are, I can go and learn everything I could ever want to know about bears, and probably some stuff I don‘t…Dwight isn’t quite up to Olympic sprinter status yet so I could probably catch up.”

“Well, bears ARE the second biggest natural threat to the office, according to Dwight’s list, Pam,” he answered with a laugh.

“Oh, that’s right,” Pam said mockingly. “How did that list go again? I know he has it taped to his desk, but he‘s not my hero like *some* people here, so I don‘t spend hours gazing at his personal things.”

“Well, I’m honored to be your hero, Pam, but…” he began.

“You know I meant that Dwight is YOUR hero, ya goof,” she retorted, sticking out her tongue.

“Oh shut it, Beesly,” he said with an eye roll. “Anyway, it is imperative that you know the list, for your own protection….Number one was flash floods, number two was bears…black, of course…number three was a change in the moon’s gravitational field...”

“Oh my goodness, what does that have to do with anything?” she said between laughs.

“He said something about tides and menstrual cycles…I cut him off after that,” he chuckled. “Number four on the list was meteorites, and number five was the chupacabra.”

“What the hell is a chupacabra?”

“I guess it’s some sort of Mexican legend…like Bigfoot on roller skates or something. Or maybe it’s part of the new lineup at Taco Bell…with Dwight, you never know. Maybe we can ask Oscar later on.” They both dissolved in a fit of laughing…this was their MO…laugh themselves silly and pretend there was nothing more than friendly office chemistry between them. It had been two years of the same act since Pam’s first day, and their dynamic wasn’t likely to change, especially considering that Michael had signed them up to be filmed for some TV documentary in the fall.

They made their way in the opposite direction from everyone else, coming up on an exhibit inhabited by large rodents of some sort. “What are these?” he wondered aloud.

“They’re capybaras,” Pam said, reading the sign.

“Capy-who?”

“Capybaras…they’re the world’s largest rodents…native to South and Central America. Duh, Jim.”

“Oh, of course I knew that,” he replied. “I’m just used to them being a different color.”

“Sure, whatever you say, Halpert,” she poked back. “They are so cute, though, aren’t they?!?”

“They look like a giant hamster to me.”

“Whatever…if I weren’t here you’d shed that tough, manly exterior and coo like a little girl,” she teased.

“Beesly, if you’re trying to get me to take my clothes off…that’s not gonna work.”

He thought he could see a blush come over her face. “You know that’s not what the main point of my comment was.” She slapped lightly at his arm, and a short silence came over them. Pam broke it by exclaiming, “Ooh, you can adopt one of these for only $50! Omigosh, we should totally do it!” as she pointed excitedly at the sign fronting the exhibit.

“Okay, okay, take it easy there Kelly Kapoor….we?” He smiled as she looked briefly toward the ground and then back up, catching his eyes.

“Yes, young Jim…we. As in you and I. It’s a pronoun…check your 1st grade textbooks if you’re still unsure what it means.” She was in classic form today, and the light cascading down through the budding May treetops, across her face and drenching her softly curled hair made her look absolutely stunning in his eyes. An artist couldn’t have painted…a symphony orchestra couldn’t have played…indeed, he wasn’t sure if God Himself could have crafted a moment that looked, sounded and felt as perfect as that very instant in his world.

“Point to Beesly then,” he said with a laugh.

She threw her hands in the air. “Score!” They continued through the rest of the zoo, occasionally crossing paths with their coworkers. They saw Michael sitting on a bench, head in his hands as Dwight droned on about the migratory habits of the harlequin duck. They walked past Creed, who was picking the lock of the bald eagle exhibit. They noticed Stanley, Phyllis and Kevin parked at the ice cream stand. But mostly, they enjoyed each other’s company, frolicking in a world free of their fellow employees, fiancés or girlfriends, hopes or dreams…just fun.

They made their way to meet Michael and company outside at the 2:00 appointed time, and as they passed the zoo office, Jim felt Pam grab his hand and tug him toward the small building. “C’mon!”

Recovering from the initial jolt of euphoria from the feel of Pam’s warm hand on his, he remembered the adopt-an-animal thing Pam mentioned. She led him into the office and he thought she held onto his hand perhaps a second longer than necessary once she stopped walking. They stepped up to a booth where a young woman named Linda, perhaps in her early 20s, and likely a summer employee, cheerily greeted them. “Hi, and welcome to the Philadelphia Zoo main office. What can I help you with today?”

Pam spoke first. “Umm, we saw the sign about adopting an animal out there…is there where you do that?”

“It sure is! Now what would you like to sign up for?” Linda chirped back.

“One capybara, please,” Jim chimed in, handing her his credit card.

“Jim, you don’t have to-” Pam tried to cut in, reaching into her own purse..

“Oh, but Pam, I *have* to. How bad would I look to my ‘International Society for the Salvation of Capybaras’ pals if I let a nonmember sponsor one and I didn’t?” Pam giggled slightly and he knew he’d won this round.

“Well, you are in luck…it looks like our eldest female is pregnant so when the pups are born, we can send you photos and a certificate for them! You’ll be the first to ‘adopt’ a newborn capybara!” Linda’s enthusiasm was contagious, and Pam clasped her hands gleefully.

“Sounds great then, Linda. At the risk of sounding like I’m treating you like a fast food employee, I’d like it to go, because our boss is waiting for us outside…and he has the patience of your average 6 year old.” Both he and Pam chuckled slightly, and Linda gave an approving nod.

“Ok then, I just need your ID for the credit card, sir.” Jim pulled the card from his wallet and handed it to her. “Alright…anyone you want to dedicate this to?”

“No…you can just put down Jim and Pam,” Pam offered. With a few taps of the keyboard, Jim had his cards back and they were out the door.

Three weeks later, Jim spotted the large manila envelope in his mailbox, opening it to find the promised photos of the newborn capybaras as well as a Certificate of Adoption for a little one called Spike, made out to….Jim and Pam Halpert. He knew he’d have to scan and print a new one without his last name…but at that moment, as the tingle coursed from his spine through his body, he found that moment of greater perfection in a simple clerical error, born in haste, yet somehow cast as though it were an act of fate. He let the words roll off his lips, barely more than a whisper…Pam Halpert…but their impact felt as though it could shatter the walls of the cramped, dusty kitchen. Pam Halpert, indeed…all he ever wanted.

He was shaken from his reverie by the smack of Michael’s hand on his shoulder. “Jimmy cracked corn! C’mon, we have to get going. No use staying here with Phyllis…she’s like 13th hottest in the office, so you know the sights have to improve, am I right?” He nudged Jim in the ribs with his elbow.

Jim glanced at Phyllis, who had her head down, before looking back at Michael and stepping toward the door on the opposite wall from the entrance. He said a quick “Bye Phyllis,” and with that, they were through the exit and into a long, constricted corridor. Alone in the dimly lit hallway, the click of Jim’s shoes and the steady flapping of Michael’s sandals on the brick floor echoed through the chamber, sounding the way to their next stop. .Jim started. “I wouldn’t have expected Phyllis in here. What was she in for?”

“Gossiping,” Michael answered quickly. “Everyone in there is a rabid gossip.”

“What? Then what’s the bright light and noise for? Why not just throw them in a muddy pit or something?” He felt guilty for grinning at others’ misfortune, but he did anyway,

“Well, gossips can’t get enough of seeing or hearing things that they want to believe….so in there, they are seeing and hearing everything. The light is made up of millions of paparazzi photos, and the noise is every episode of Entertainment Tonight ever being played simultaneously on top of each other. That’s what the room on the other side of the door was for.” He sounded almost like he knew what he was talking about…somehow, it calmed Jim’s nerves.

“Wow. So, I guess we’re going back to the elevator now?” he said, letting out a sigh.

“Nope, we’re going down another way….right….there.” Michael said, pointing down a flight of stairs in front of them. “That is, unless you want to stop now?”

Jim took one glance at the dark hole, surrounded by a thick cloud of yellowish vapor, swallowed hard, and stepped forward. “Might as well see where it takes us.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

End Notes:
Yeah, so there it is.  Capybaras included in a fanfic.  Hope you liked it, or at the very least it didn't make you retch in agony....probably, if you made it far enough to read this, it must have been ok.  LOL
Have you ever had a crush on a coworker? by A Little Stitious
Author's Notes:

Jim and Michael journey further on their desolate journey and meet a strange fellow or two along the way. ;-)

Many thanks to kerber1920 and sedimentary for looking at this and telling me it didn't suck. lol

I found my guide, who had already climbed upon the back of that brute animal, and he told me: Be strong and daring now, for our descent is by this kind of stairs

~The Divine Comedy, Inferno, Canto XVII

The staircase wound in a tight spiral downward into the unknown, and the thick yellow gas was nauseating. Jim treaded carefully down the tiny steps, finally working his way into a short, dimmed hallway. He took two steps toward the facing door, neatly catching the handle before he noticed a shadow slip in behind him followed by the menace of cold steel against his neck.

“Hand over everything you’ve got or your buddy gets it!” a man screamed toward Michael. It was a familiar scratchy growl, well-worn by time and desperation. Jim recognized it instantly.

“Creed., what the hell are you doing?” Michael sneered. “That joke was funny the first fifty times but it’s old now.” He rolled his eyes in disgust. Jim wasn’t so sure it was a joke, but soon he felt the pressure from the blade slacken and took a few quick steps back to make sure he got as far from his crazy coworker as rapidly as possible.

“Matthew, my brother!” Creed exclaimed, holding out his fist. “Bringing in a new recruit, huh? You know we can always use new blood.”

Michael kept his hands in his pockets, rocking backing on his heels. “Actually, this is Jim
Halpert…you used to work with him. He’s getting the full monty…the full tour, today.” Jim shook his head and continued to avoid staring at the freak show going on.

The older man thought for a moment, then turned to Jim. “Were you the gay one?”

Jim, used to the routine, simply said “Umm, nope.”

“Keep the grenade launcher under your desk?

“Wow, no.”

“Did you talk everyone’s ear off?”

“Pretty sure you don’t even have the right sex there.”

“Oh, so you had ‘the change’ then?” He flexed his fingers in mock quotation marks. Then, in a barely audible tone, he added “talk to me when John Paul here leaves…I might have something to help you with your…growing problem.”

Jim’s bulging eyes gave away his shock as he stepped to the side, eager to end the conversation. “C’mon, Michael,” he motioned, wrenching the door open and slamming it shut when they were safely on the other side.

Glancing from one side to the other, Jim could tell that this space was considerably more confined than the others he’d been through. Rocky crags protruded from the floors and ceiling, and the souls gathered in the center chamber of the room were motionless. There was but a single tiny structure on the opposite wall, decorated with a bright, striped awning that underscored the ridiculousness of its presence in such a place.

As he and Michael waded their way through the crowd, Jim took note of the souls they passed. Weary and gaunt, he thought they might even be figments of his imagination…that no one could look so hopeless and desperate. Each person was bound not by chains or ropes, but by a thick layer of ice on each hand. He surmised that this must have been the punishment for thieves…that their eternity would be spent shackled with the inability to do the most menial of tasks as punishment for being a little too adept with their digits on earth. Some seemed resigned to their fate, while others thrashed and beat their hands upon the stones they lay on. Success was fleeting, however…the rime reformed as quickly as it had shattered, each time creeping further and further up the offending limb.

Arriving at the small stand, they stood for a second until a tall, graying man with sunglasses and a pair of gloves appeared from beneath the counter. “What can I do for you two today?” he asked.

“Creed…you just saw us out in the hall…what the hell are you doing in here?” Jim asked incredulously.

“Look man, if you’re cops, I don’t know anything about nothing’. I’m just here tending my glove selling business and-”

Jim was unsure of how to proceed, and Michael was staring silently off into the wall. “No, not a cop. Wait, how did you get away without the ice on your hands?”

“Oh, no I still have it.” He tapped his hand on the counter three times, a wooden clack emanating with each rap. “I just put these gloves on ‘em.”

“Well, how did you get the gloves on, even?” Jim had to admit, even as creepy as Creed was, he was nothing if not resourceful.

“I use my feet.”

“Wow.”

“I spent 13 days chained to some broad’s bedpost…’Frisco, ‘67. You learn to do pretty much everything with your feet.” he shrugged.

“Yeah, that’s messed up,” Jim stammered, but something else caught his eye. On the rear wall of the stand was a mural. It looked like something from the early 20th century that’d be painted on a barn…the paint was chipped and the boards were weathered and splitting from end to end, but he could make out the pattern of a scene on it. It looked like an old west saloon. And it looked so familiar. He turned to Michael. “Who painted that?”

“Oh, I dunno. Creed probably found it somewhere.” Michael drawled, still looking at nothing.

“Huh.” He felt his mind drifting, though, as Creed began to talk about different kinds of acid. He was beginning to put the puzzle together…

It had been a stirring 03/03/03 party….Michael had insisted that everyone sync their watches so that they could start promptly at 3:33 pm, but by 3:45 the party had pretty much fizzled out. Since they’d all been instructed to shut down their computers and put away all files and folders in order for them to “fully appreciate the awesomeness of the moment,” they were left with no work to do and sent home. Kevin made the suggestion that they head to Poor Richard’s to kill the last hour before it was time to get home, and despite Angela’s objection, everyone else agreed.

Jim was gathering his jacket off his chair when Pam came walking over. “Hey,” she said brightly. “Can I ask you a favor?”

“Sure.”

“Um, I was just wondering if you could give me a ride to Poor Richard’s. Well, cause, Roy and all-” she motioned over her shoulder. “Well, I called him and he said he’d come by at 5 and pick me up.”

“Oh, yeah…absolutely” he nodded. “Sounds cool. So-”

“Yeah?”

“I, yeah, I was just gonna ask if you were ready to go. I’m still getting settled here after a full year…but generally, I know where everything I need to take home is, so it takes like 3 seconds to get ready and go home. Double that if I’m leaving for good.” he chuckled.

“Well, fingers crossed that you need that 6 seconds soon, Halpert” she mocked as she held up her hand, fingers crossed neatly. She turned and walked back to her desk, scooping up her jacket and purse in one swoop and rounding back to the entryway. “Come on, Mr Six Seconds,” she called out playfully.

“That’s what she said!” came Michael’s voice from inside his office, working diligently on a People magazine crossword as he sulked over the demise of his party. Jim looked toward Pam with an amused grin, then draped his jacket over the his arm and slung his messenger back over his shoulder, catching up to Pam in a few steps.

They arrived at the bar shortly after four, catching it at a down time. Most of the group took up a table at the center of the room, but Pam insisted that she and he take stools at the bar so they could “avoid Kevin’s stinky feet.” Jim saw the glint in her eye and wondered if she got as much a thrill from spending a spare half hour or so with him as he got from sitting next to her on a bar stool, watching the US National Ping Pong championships on one TV screen and the early news report on the other.

One beer turned to two, that progressed to a shot, and before he knew it, Jim felt his world start to tingle. Roy showed up soon after five, skipping to Pam with a glee that almost made him understand how Pam had fallen for him in the first place. He mentioned that he was going to the other room to shoot some pool with Kenny and Darryl, motioning to the bartender to fill up their usual pitcher of Budweiser.

Time ticked by, and the drinks still came…not so fast as to endanger his perch on the stool next to Pam, but slowly he felt himself slipping under the veil of inhibition, longing to glimpse the secrets that lie in her heart and let her into his own. Roy returned for two more vessels of beer, each time passing the excuse that “the game is on in the other room and Kenny doesn’t like these stools” for good measure. Pam gave a rather uninterested response each time, giving him hope that maybe she was enjoying this time…this moment…as much as he was.

It happened during Jeopardy. They both discovered that their meager skills were considerably diminished in their current state…Jim currently had 3 questions answered, Pam 2. It was a commercial break and Pam was leafing absently through a magazine sitting on the bar. Jim, more intent on watching the furrow of her brow as she concentrated on the pages…unsure if she was truly interested in the article or simply trying to stare away the blur in her eyes…was startled when she slapped it down on the counter in front of him and proclaimed “Ooh a quiz! We need to take it!”

“What is it?” he asked, coming to from the sudden shock.

“It says ‘How normal are you? 20 questions about life, love and work.’ You are so going down, Halpert.”

“Huh, I didn’t know it was a competition,” he joked.

He could see the wheels turning in her head, but instead she started reading. “Question one: how many credit cards do you have? None, 1, 2-4, 5-10, more than 10.”

“More than 10? My goodness…” Jim laughed. “Uhh…should I write these down? It wouldn‘t be fair if you heard all my answers before I got to hear yours.”

“Absolutely you should.”

“Nice…remembering what I told you,” he snickered as he grabbed a napkin from beside the peanut bowl and produced a pen from his pocket. “Continue.”

She kept going, passing through questions about his first job (working at his uncle’s gas station in Dunmore), how old he was when he had his first kiss (17), first drink (21-he was too afraid of getting caught), how many cars he’d owned by 30 (3, although he was not yet that old), finally coming to the penultimate question. He sensed a brief hesitation on her part, as though she were unsure she wanted to ask…it piqued his curiosity, even though he didn’t know what she was about to ask. “What?” he said, more curious than inquisitive.

She cleared her throat. “Oh, nothing. Just something in my throat.” He didn’t know if he bought it, but his features calmed and he could tell that relaxed her. “Uh, have you ever had a crush on a coworker?”

He exaggerated his thoughtfulness, eliciting a giggle from Pam. “I’m telling you Beesly, this is a tough one. I mean, there’ve been so many. Do I just count crushes? Does that one night stand with Phyllis mean anything?”

“Oh God, Halpert. Please…never bring up that joke again. You’ll have her believing it really happened if you don’t shut your mouth.” Pam shot back, smiling.

“Yeah, I know. It sure grossed Michael out though.” he chuckled. “And I don’t think I’ll have to worry about getting the ‘Hottest in the Office’ Dundie again this year.”

“True.”

Jim turned back to his task. He felt his heart bump as his pen touched the ratty paper, writing almost without thinking. He finished up the final question and reached for the magazine. As he grasped the smooth, glossy paper, he felt her hand pass under his and grab the napkin out from under his right hand.

“Aha!” she shouted, perhaps a bit too loudly. Stanley turned from the table behind and leered at them, but the chirp of his cell phone prevented him from making a comment.

“Wait! That’s not fair…you didn’t even answer. You can’t look at mine yet.”

“That’s what she said.” Pam answered with a laugh.

“Oh, nice, Pam.” he mocked. “Here, I bare my soul to you on a bar napkin and all you can do is poke fun. I should just go-” he faked a turn toward the door.

“Yeah, yeah. I’m sure these are some psychologically revealing answers here, Jim.” Number 6. You’ve eaten 10 or more different flavors of ice cream in the last month. That’s deep, man” she drawled. “Also, kind of disgusting…if I did that, I’d gain 15 pounds.”

“Good genes I guess” he shrugged. He leaned toward her, trying to swipe the napkin from her hand but failing. He caught her eye and it may have been the alcohol whispering sweet nothings in his ear, but he thought he saw a challenge in her eyes…a call to come just a bit closer, to let himself fall into her and see what happens. He wondered if she could see the same light in his gaze.

He spun back to the bar just in time to catch a stumbling drunken Roy slip past a waitress before his foot caught on Stanley’s chair. He came hurtling forward, falling into Jim’s stool and knocking it off balance. He felt his nose crack off the ledge in front of him, spilling blood onto the countertop before he landed on top of the now immobile warehouse worker. He stood up immediately, grabbing the towel the bartender had tossed in his direction.

“Oh my God!” Pam shrieked, snapping to sobriety. “Roy, are you alright?” Roy mumbled something about his ribs hurting, and Pam called for Kenny and Darryl to come help him up.

Jim kept the towel braced against his throbbing nose, knowing he’d need to head for the hospital once the dust cleared. He just couldn’t stand to watch her nurturing HIM, ignoring him when it was so obviously Roy’s own fault. He thought he heard Pam call his name as he walked to the restroom, but he ignored the draw of her voice as he slipped inside the door.

Jim stood there, legs heavy against the counter as he stared hard as his reflection in the grimy little mirror. He wiped at the blood dripping from his nose, careful not to bump it….he looked and felt pitiful. He wondered what he’d done to deserve this fate…which metaphorical mirror he’d shattered to bring about such bad luck. Exiting the bathroom, he walked back to pick his jacket off the stool, looking down to see a note pasted onto his spot on the counter top….

“Jim- I am so sorry about that….you know how Roy gets when he really drinks. We can’t take him to the doctor like this so we’re heading home to let him sober up. You should probably get to the hospital though…don’t want to ruin your prize-winning nose. See you Monday, Pam”

Even though he knew that was a standing joke between them, he felt the ire rise in his throat.
How could she even attempt to stick up for him? he thought. He crumpled the note and tossed it onto the counter, landing on top of the napkin he’d so treasured only a few minutes before. He picked it up, glancing at number 19. “Not until I met you.” Like something out of a chick flick. Or a Hallmark card. He stuffed the answer key to his soul mercifully into his pocket.  He rolled his eyes at the notion that fate might shine brightly on him just once, then turned and briskly marched into the blackened March evening.

Jim shook his head to shake free the memory of that day. He needed to get out of here, and now. Not just here…but all of it. He thought it was all a dream, yet still he wasn’t sure how much more he could take. Reaching for Michael’s arm, he pulled him toward the small door in the corner. It swung open easily and he marched through with a reckless abandon, eager to his pain behind him. One step later, he felt himself tumbling down into a watery pit below.

End Notes:

Well, not quite so happy as before, but it's Hell, right?  Things will improve eventually. :-) 

Reviews are always appreciated...thanks for reading!  Props to my friends at http://www.jamtherapy.com for the inspiration. :)

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2971