Operation Kurt and Noelle by andromeda
Summary: The plan had been hatched that night as they lay in bed, Harry Potter dancing in their heads.
Categories: Jim and Pam, Present, Future, Episode Related Characters: Dwight/Angela
Genres: None
Warnings: No Warnings Apply
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 3325 Read: 7691 Published: December 05, 2007 Updated: January 27, 2008
Story Notes:
Jim and Pam plot on how to get Dwight and Angela back together. General Season 4 Spoilers.

1. Chapter 1 by andromeda

2. Chapter 2 by andromeda

3. Chapter 3 by andromeda

4. Chapter 4 by andromeda

Chapter 1 by andromeda
Author's Notes:
What if Jim and Pam started scheming on how to get Dwight and Angela back together. Starts with Money, and will eventually go beyond our short season 4.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The plan had been hatched that night as they lay in bed, Harry Potter dancing in their heads. Her head was on his stomach, and they were trying hard not to fall asleep. The line where the beds came together was uneven under his back, and his feet were starting to fall asleep from hanging off the end, but this was kind of perfect so he didn't mind much. The night seeped in through the floor boards, and the window sills and he was imagining they were on a raft, afloat for the first time, and alone in a way that was not lonely, but more of a finally.

"It's probably a bad idea to meddle." he had said into her hair.

"Mmm, maybe, but when two people belong together . . ."

But her words were lost, and he waits for that little hum. She blames it on her allergies, and he teases her about keeping him awake. But it sounds like kittens and he kind of likes it on nights like this.

Operation Kurt and Noelle is what they agreed to call it, and the next day the opportunity for contact with their targets presented itself.

They both looked on, horrified, but unable to turn away, as Angela cradled her new cat Garbage in her arms and finally agreed to go out with Andy.

"You may ask me out to dinner. Nothing fancy or foreign. No bars. No patios. No vegetables. And no seafood."

It was only a quick glance, but with the simple exchange, Jim knew what had to be done. He took a deep breath, and followed Dwight into the stairwell. He had no idea what he was going to say. He remembered saying that maybe this wasn't such a great idea. And then he remembered the irony in her sleepy words.

"Did I ever tell you why I left Scranton?"

The world was iridescent blue for a second. It was May, he felt sick and his hands were sweaty.

"I can't?"

He couldn't tell if Dwight was listening or not, but he went on. He knew exactly what Dwight was feeling and it came pouring out easier than he had imagined it would.

"I couldn't sleep, I couldn't concentrate on anything . . ."

"I'm really sorry if you misinterpreted things. It's probably my fault."

The memory of all those long afternoons at the Stamford branch washed over him. What he mostly remembers is the strange and lonely view from the window by his desk. The weird lighting in the office that was always too bright, and the back of Andy's head.

"And isn't something I'd wish on my worst enemy."

For a brief moment the image of Pam, in that pink coat walking out of Phyllis's wedding, hand in hand with Roy bobbed to the surface. Maybe he and Dwight had more in common that he thought.

Dwight was still pressed against the wall.

"And that includes you." Jim finished, suddenly wanting to see her, feel her skin, know for sure that she was really his.

By the end of the day, Dwight had seemed to come back to his normal self and Jim had only smiled to himself when Dwight pushed his stack of papers off the edge of the desk with a ruler.

On his way out he had slapped Dwight on the back (which he knew Dwight hated with a fiery passion).

"Goodnight, Dwight"

"Damn it Jim . . ." Dwight started knowing there would be a post it on the back of his jacket.

But he stopped in his tracks as he read the words that Jim had scrawled onto it.

Never, ever, ever give up.
























End Notes:
Next chapter up soon. If you have any suggestions on some fun ways that Pam and Jim try to push Dwight and Angela together let me know!
Chapter 2 by andromeda
Author's Notes:
Takes place around Local Ad.
Inspiration for this came from this interview with Angela Kinsey, where she talks about how Dwight and Angela got togther.
http://popgurls.com/article_show.php3?id=667
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


She stood, admiring their work. The Christmas lights were the final touch. Although the plan was to recreate the atmosphere that had led to Dwight and Angela's first kiss, she found herself remembering how that night, she had felt her cheeks redden when she had caught herself watching him as he sung a karaoke duet with Michael. How after 2 beers, she had kind of wanted to kiss him, even though she knew she wouldn't.

The idea had come to her at Poor Richard's, after everyone watched the ad that Michael stayed up all night editing on his computer.

"Seriously? That is how it happened?"

"Yes.", she had said her eyes wide, motioning for him to lower his voice. "She told me while we were waiting in the bathroom line. I don't think it was Ginger Ale that she was drinking either."

Poor Richard's was loud, it was doubtful that anyone would overhear, but he had leaned in close anyway. He liked the way her thigh felt against his thigh.

"It's just . . . I never thought I would be a part of history like this." he had said as he inhaled the scent of her hair. "It's kind of gross in a way".

She threw her head back and laughed her hand on his knee. She suddenly realized how much she was enjoying the constant planning to rekindle Dwight and Angela's relationship. It made her feel good in a way that she could not explain. If pressed, she would probably say something about having a soft spot for Dwight since he had tried to console her the day she had cried over Jim and Karen. But, maybe it was something more, something she couldn't quite put her finger on.

"Wait, I just had the best idea ever.", she had said, as he drank the last of his beer and smiled into the glass, knowing that he would go along with whatever she was cooking up.

They had paused while Kevin squeezed past them, a bottle of beer clutched in each hand.

"Michael says he can do that thing where you throw something and knock an apple off someone's head. We are calling dibs on who is not going to take Dwight to the emergency room."

"Should we . . ."

"Absolutely not."

"Right. Ok, here's my idea. We recreate that night. Remind them of their first kiss. It may just be enough to break her down."

“Very romantic Beesley, though I’m not sure it will be enough to melt the ice queen’s heart.”

He had thought about their first kiss. Well, really, their third first kiss. How inexplicably it had been more awkward than the former ones, but how her lips had tasted just the way he remembered. The way she had shyly pushed her bangs behind her ear and looked at him expectantly, and the way in which in that one spectacular moment, he had been absolutely certain that telling her he was in love with her all those months ago, had been the most important decision he had ever made.

"Do you think we could get Phyllis to sing White Snake again?" he had said.

"Yes!” she had said emphatically, already breaking, erupting into the laugh that was just so . . . her. Unwound, inviting, the sound of home, and the past.

"Cause, I think that would really set the mood." he had said trying hard to sound serious.

After five straight days of cajoling, and promising her that it was just a small, refined gathering, and that she desperately needed help planning it, she had finally persuaded Angela to come. She hadn't been sure Angela would actually show up, but she had, and now Jim was tickling her elbow and making faces in Angela's direction.

"Your mission was so much easier." she whispered as she made her way towards Angela. She had not yet figured out how she would handle things when Angela realized Dwight had also been invited, as had most of the rest of the Office . . . except for Andy.

Angela's arms were crossed, never a good sign. Pam took a deep breath, and joined her, her leg bumping against the edge of Jim's couch. Dwight was sneaking glances, but Angela only stared stonily ahead.

"I thought this was only going to be a small gathering. Everyone is here."

Pam bit her lip, trying to come up with a way to keep her from leaving.

"What do you think of Andy?" Angela said surprising her.

"Like as boyfriend material?"

"Pam, is that all you ever think about?"

"I uh . . . "

Angela did not wait for the rest of Pam's response. "No. I mean as a man. He is trustworthy right? Maybe a little strange, but a gentleman still . . ."

"I um, I guess. But what about Kurt?" Pam whispered. "He and Noelle seemed perfect for each other . . .”

Angela pulled back. "That is none of your business."

"Your right, I shouldn't . . . I mean I am totally the wrong person to give advice about relationships. It just seemed like fate brought Kurt and Noelle together. It's a shame that they have drifted apart."

Pam hid a smile at that. She wasn't sure if fate was what brought them together, but it was a shame to see Dwight so sad, and painful for everyone, to be around Angela who had become all sharp angles and withering glances.

Angela's pony tail swung sharply as she narrowed in on Pam. "Is that what you think? Now that your with Jim? Grow up Pam. Fate is just a matter of proximity and circumstance. You shouldn't let yourself be deluded by romantic notions."

Pam gulped, and then took a sip of her beer, unsure what to say next. She met Jim's eyes across the room, silently sending out an SOS. Things were not going the way she had hoped.

"Hey Angela. Glad you came.” Jim said arching a mischievous eyebrow in Pam’s direction. “I was wondering, since you have a lot of experience with party planning, if you could help organize the karaoke. Things got a little crazy last time."

"Of course." Angela said curtly, pushing past Phyllis who was going through the karaoke song book.

“Thank you. That was going badly.”

“Well, I am better at this kind of stuff. Don't feel bad, it's just a thing I have always been able to do.”

“Oh, really?”

“Yes. And, I just happened to have asked Dwight to help me get the Karaoke machine hooked up. So . . .”

Jim looked over the top of her head. Dwight stood up as Angela approached the area where he was plugging in the Karaoke machine.

"Check it out."

Pam looked over in time to see Dwight, fearful, yet hopeful say hello to Angela.
End Notes:
Thanks for the awesome reviews. Sorry, I am so behind at responding :( This one took me longer to write than I thought it would, I rewrote it a dozen times. Hopefully the next one will go down smoother.
Chapter 3 by andromeda
Author's Notes:

Survivorman Spoilers.

 They needed a new plan. 

Progress on Operation Kurt and Noelle stalled after Jim’s barbeque redo.  So, they spent a lot of time thinking up silly sitcom inspired ideas, like locking them in the supply closet over night. 

“I think I saw that on Friends once”, Pam had said scooping the last of her yogurt from the bottom of the container. 

“I think that would be a very bad idea.  And I really hate that show so . . .” Jim had said. 

Or setting them up on a blind date where they would be forced to talk things out. 

“No way are we going to be able to get Angela to go anywhere.” Jim had said as he refilled her wine glass. 

“We could kidnap her!”  Pam replied her tipsy hiccups making him smile.  He liked it when she was a little bit tipsy.

 Jim kissed her on the nose.  “Try again.”   

Or sending flowers anonymously to Angela, or maybe getting Dwight to quit again so that Angela would remember how much she missed him. 

But in the end nothing seemed right, or plausible, or even doable. 

Pam spent most of Thursday searching the internet.  Typing in phrases like How to get back together, how to fix a relationship, and saying you’re sorry.  She read a couple of funny articles on LovingYou.com until she realized that they weren’t supposed to be funny. 

She had tried to get Jim’s attention all day, but ever since Michael left to go into the woods, Jim had seemed stressed out. 

Finally, at the birthday parties, she had given him firm orders to talk to Angela about giving Dwight another chance.  They were going to go big.  Drop all pretense of pretending they didn’t know about the clandestine affair. 

Her mission?  Derail Andy’s affection for Angela, causing Angela to tailspin back towards Dwight. 

She took a deep breath and headed in Andy’s direction.  She had no idea what she was going to say.
 

"Hey Andy.”   She couldn’t help thinking about how icky he was sometimes. 

What's up?

Me. All night. Dreaming about Angela's smoking hot body.

You're being gross.

Not from a male perspective. 

“Pam.  Have you tried Fudgie?  My girl really outdid herself.” 

“Hmm.  So how’s that going?”  

I don't know if I really see you two together. 

“It’s great.  I mean we are still working out the details, but she is coming around.” 

“Coming around?” 

“You wanna know a little secret?” 

“Umm, is it a private kind of secret?  Cause I don’t . . .” 

She looked past Andy at Jim who had plopped down next to Angela. 

 “I have gone through her trash.  The dumpster outside her apartment to be more precise.” 

“Why would you do that?  That’s just . . . ewww.” 

“I am committed to finding out what makes Angela Martin tick.  By any means necessary.” 

“And conversations are out of the question?”

 “Angela, isn’t really a talker.  At least not to me.” 

"Do you really want to be with someone how you have work so hard just to talk too?  Do you even like the same things? How do you feel about cats?” 

“I got her a new one didn’t I?” 

“Oh Andy, sometimes we want something to work so badly, that we ignore all the signs that tell us that the person is the wrong person for us.  It could go on for years and years before you realize that you aren’t happy with them at all.” 

“Pamela, what are you saying?  You lost your chance with me.  Besides I couldn’t do that to Tuna.  We’re bros.”

 Pam sighed.  Andy wasn’t getting it.  He was still talking about the rules of bro-hood, but she was looking past him. 

Jim was talking to Michael instead of working on Angela.  He was laughing, but his eyes were serious.  Things were weird today and maybe she had picked the wrong time to continue their plan. 

“Well, that was a waste” she said pulling on her coat.  “You didn’t even get to your part of the deal.” 

“That doesn’t mean that I didn’t come up with a plan.” 

“Really?  Come on Halpert spill it.  I ended up with a big old goose egg with Andy.” 

“Dwight has to make Angela jealous.  It’s the only way he will climb out of the abyss.”  

Pam stopped in her tracks, considering. 

“Drastic, I know.  But we have to do something.  I caught him staring into the vending machine today near tears.” 

“I am taking it you know this will work from experience.”  Pam said, her cheeks blazing as soon as the words were out of her mouth. 

“Unfortunately I may have some experience is this field.” Jim said softly, tipping her chin up so that their eyes met. 

“Well, if she sees him with someone else maybe she will realize what her real feelings are for him and that she has to fight for him.” Pam said taking his hand as they made their way through the lobby. 

“Then I guess it is time we found him a new girlfriend.” Jim said, turning to her with that smile that still made her all melty, whatever weird conversation he had had with Michael already almost forgotten.  They walked toward her car, the chill of November tickling his cheeks, her warm hand in his.    

End Notes:
I am already working on conjuring Dwight up a nifty new girlfriend.
Chapter 4 by andromeda
Author's Notes:
This has taken me a long long time to post. Still not sure if I got it right.
Jim lets Dwight go in first. He wants Pam to get the full effect, plus he has had the entire elevator ride up to admire Dwight's attire.

"Good morning Pam."

"Good morning Dwight", she says the half formed smile quickly fading as Jim motions to her not to say anything about the creepy tux that Dwight has arrived in. She has seen it once before, and she does smile now, thinking of umbrella's and coat stands, and that one dimly lit kiss that ignited a thousand fires in her heart. She feels Jim's eyes on her, and blushes, even though now she can think about these things whenever she wants.

"Don't you think his dead grandfather's tux is a little . . . much? We're just going to Cugino's."

"Do not kill his confidence", Jim says as he finishes off his coffee with a heaping mound of sugar. "You have no idea how hard it was to get him to agree to this. Besides, it's a family heirloom remember?"

She did remember, and was about to say that despite the Dwight factor it reminded her of that day in May, how far they had come and how much happier she was, but before she can get the words out Jim tugs on her sleeve. Angela was standing stiffly at Dwight's desk, and they seemed to be engaged in a hushed but tense conversation.

"I wonder what they are saying." Pam said as they watched from the break room.

"Hello Dwight. You look very dapper today." Jim said in his best Angela voice.

Pam laughed. "Stop it. We have a very serious mission today."

"So tell me more about my date." Dwight said as Jim settled in at his desk. "Are you sure we will be compatible on at least 85 different levels?"

Pam tried to hide her smile behind a stack of order forms. Dwight's "date" was Jim's cousin Sarah, who lived on the west coast, but was home on break from college. She wasn't sure how much information Jim had divulged to his cousin about her "date", and hoped that tonight wouldn't be a total disaster.

"Well that is . . . wow, a lot to ask."

"Jim, making an informed choice when choosing a mate is what separates us from most mammals. Except for orangoutangs, they have been known to be very choosy."

"I didn't need to know any of that. Here is what I do know. One. Halloween is her favorite holiday."
"Yes! Couples Halloween costumes. I have always wanted to do that." Dwight said pumping his fist in the air, not noticing the look of disgust radiating off of Angela from across the room.

"What else?"

"Her favorite show is Lost."

"Who does she like better, Jack or Sawyer?" Dwight said suspiciously.

"Hmmm, Sawyer I think." Jim said winking at Pam.

"So far so good. Sawyer could totally kick Jack's ass."

"And her favorite band is Dokken. So . . ."

Pam watched as Angela strode briskly past them into the break room, Dwight was so caught up in his conversation he did not watch her with his usual pale faced sadness.

"That is really very limited information Jim. Luckily I have a questionnaire prepared which I will bring tonight."

Pam was already typing, "Are you serious?" into the subject line.



PBeesley: Dokken? Really?

JHalpert: I have no idea, but it sounded good didn't it?

PBeesley: Nicely done. But I am starting to get nervous about tonight. Did he really say he had a questionnaire for her to fill out?

JHalpert: Don't worry, we aren't really trying to set him up with my cousin remember?

PBeesley: I know. You're right. The important thing is that Angela is here when she shows up.



.






End Notes:
Maybe another chapter or two, will Dwight and Angela find their way back to each other?
This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2985