Tales from West Scranton High School by ibraveheart
Summary: The Dunder-Mifflin crew works at West Scranton High School.
Categories: Jim and Pam, Alternate Universe Characters: None
Genres: None
Warnings: Adult language
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 23 Completed: Yes Word count: 37055 Read: 54104 Published: March 30, 2008 Updated: April 27, 2008

1. Chapter 1: Prologue by ibraveheart

2. Chapter 2: The Interview by ibraveheart

3. Chapter 3: Post-Interview Phone Call by ibraveheart

4. Chapter 4: The School Year Begins by ibraveheart

5. Chapter 5: The Department Head and Old Habits by ibraveheart

6. Chapter 6: A First Prank and a First...Date? by ibraveheart

7. Chapter 7: Insubordination by ibraveheart

8. Chapter 8: A Not So Welcome Surprise by ibraveheart

9. Chapter 9: Introductions by ibraveheart

10. Chapter 10: First Day of School by ibraveheart

11. Chapter 11: The First Week Comes to an End by ibraveheart

12. Chapter 12: Friday Night Lights by ibraveheart

13. Chapter 13: The Faculty Meeting by ibraveheart

14. Chapter 14: Some News by ibraveheart

15. Chapter 15: Ready to go back? by ibraveheart

16. Chapter 16: Basketball Homecoming by ibraveheart

17. Chapter 17: Black History Month by ibraveheart

18. Chapter 18: The Future by ibraveheart

19. Chapter 19: Drug Bust by ibraveheart

20. Chapter 20: Prom by ibraveheart

21. Chapter 21: Graduation by ibraveheart

22. Chapter 22: On To Philadelphia by ibraveheart

23. Chapter 23: Epilogue by ibraveheart

Chapter 1: Prologue by ibraveheart
Author's Notes:
Hi all. This is my first story, and I have it all written but the last chapter, which I'll finish this week. I will probably post a couple of chapters a day until I'm done. I hope everyone likes this story. I've been reading stuff on here for a little while, and figured I needed to contribute and earn my keep. So here it is.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
March 22, 2005

Jim Halpert was nervous. He had spent the last four years of his life away from this place, and now, here he was back in high school. Four years of undergraduate education at Penn State, and now here he was back at West Scranton High School. When he left four years ago, he was positive he would never come back. But here he was, waiting to interview for a teaching position at his alma mater. He wondered about this new principal; he heard he was quite a character. He was also glad that there was a new principal, because there was no way the old principal would even consider hiring him after the senior prank he orchestrated. At the time, he found it hilarious to have the principal’s car towed to the center of the football field. Okay, it wasn't just at the time- it was still funny. His mom wasn’t happy when they considered not letting him walk at graduation, but c’mon, he was a senior and the class clown- it was his sworn duty to create a perfect senior prank. And when he combined that with everyone leaving their car at home so that the school buses were completely overfilled and the administration was overwhelmed with the complaints of parents whose children were stuck at school until the buses could get back, well, he felt he had done his duty.

But now, he was thinking of becoming one of them. He was applying to become a teacher. He hadn’t really seen himself doing this when he was here the first time, but the more he thought about it, the more he liked it. He always had a knack with people, and one day he decided that it might be cool to help inspire America’s youth. Or something like that. He just thanked his lucky stars that this principal was a total outsider who had never heard anything about him.

“Mr. Halpert?” said the secretary, shaking him from his reverie.

“Yes?” he answered.

“They’re ready for you. Go on in.”

“Thanks,” he grinned, starting to feel a bit nervous. Here goes nothing, he thought.
End Notes:
Next up: The interview.
Chapter 2: The Interview by ibraveheart
Author's Notes:
Same disclaimer.
March 22, 2005

Jim walked through the door to the principal’s office, shaking off the feelings of déjŕ vu that this walk gave him, and immediately his eyebrows hit the ceiling. Nothing could have prepared him for what he saw.

“Dwight?” he creaked out.

“Hello, Jim,” Dwight said, in almost a cackle.

“What are you doing here?” Jim asked.

Dwight answered, from his stance behind the desk, which looked really creepy, “I’m the new Assistant Principal here.”

“Assistant to the principal,” answered the man sitting at the desk, with a slightly irritated tone.

“Same thing,” Dwight said.

“No, it’s not, it’s lower,” said the principal. “Michael Scott,” the man said, rising and extending his hand.

“Jim Halpert,” Jim answered, shaking his hand.

“Dwight here has been telling me all about the times that you two shared together back here at old West Scranton High School.”

“Really?” Jim asked. He thought he might as well leave now. No one would hire someone to be a teacher that had his past.

“Yes, I have,” Dwight said seriously, with a smug smile on his face.

“Yeah,” said Mr. Scott. “What you did back then with Mr. Truck’s car…” Mr. Scott finished, beginning to trail off…
Jim started to stand up to leave…
“Was awesome,” finished Mr. Scott, as a huge grin started to take over his face.

“What???” Dwight yelled out.

“Awesome. Mr. Truck was a total lamewad. I met him right before I took over. Jim, you remind of myself back in my high school days. Which weren’t that long ago,” said Mr. Scott.

Jim was positive that Mr. Scott’s high school days were at least 25 years behind him, but he began to realize that maybe this interview wasn’t a lost cause. “Really?” asked Jim.

“Oh, yeah,” answered Mr. Scott. “I ruled my school; me and my best friend, Todd Packer. We were always playing jokes on people, picking up ladies, just being utter badasses.”

Wow, Jim thought, no one has ever said badass to me in an interview before. “What kind of stuff did you do?”

“Well,” said Michael, leaning back, “this one time I was in the cafeteria, and I thought it would be hilarious to pull the fire alarm and freak everybody out. So I waited until the lunch line was empty, so no one else would be near me, and I pulled the alarm and ran out screaming ‘Fire! Fire!’ and pushing everyone out of the way. It was…” Michael stated through his laughter, “hilarious,” Michael stopped laughing. “Except that this one girl I pushed actually broke her arm when she fell. It kind of ruined the girl’s basketball season. And her boyfriend, well…he was pretty unreasonable about the whole thing. I mean, he really didn’t need to act that way…” Michael said quietly.

What??? Jim thought. What a disaster. “That sounds pretty funny, actually,” Jim said. Ugh. I really hate sucking up to get ahead, but…

“Yes! Thank you, Jim. It really was! I wish you would have been around when I was in school. We would have been best buds!”

“Weren’t you friends with that Todd guy, though?” Jim asked.

“Yeah, we were. But sometimes he didn’t… anyhoo, Jimbo, from your resume and what we’ve done here, I think you would make a fine English teacher. Grades pretty good; you’re a funny guy; you get my jokes. Yup, we’re ready to make you an offer.”

“Michael,” Dwight finally spoke up, “Hiring Jim Halpert would be a terrible mistake. He is a slacker and will never take his job seriously. I told you what his reputation around this school is…”

“Shut it, Dwight. Jim seems fine to me, and this place is WAY too uptight, anyway. I want this place to be somewhere people look forward to coming to and hate leaving. These teachers and the administration are like family to these kids. We are all like their moms and dads. I want to have teachers that the kids can look up to, not people that have their panties in a wad all the time.”

“Michael…” Dwight pleaded.

“Enough!” Michael yelled. “If Jim wants this job, it’s his.”

Wow. “Mr. Scott, I accept your offer. I can’t tell you how excited I am to be joining this team.”

“That’s the kind of attitude we need! All right, talk to the secretary on your way out. She’ll give you some paperwork and stuff you have to fill out. I actually don’t know anything about that end of things, really, because I’m too important to worry about those kinds of formalities, but she’ll set you up. See you when the school year starts.”

“Thanks a lot,” Jim said, shaking Michael’s hand, “Looking forward to it.” Jim turned to leave and walk out the door, when he suddenly turned back around. “Bye, Dwight,” Jim smiled at him.

Dwight narrowed his eyes at Jim as he walked out the door.
End Notes:
Next up: Jim makes a phone call.
Chapter 3: Post-Interview Phone Call by ibraveheart
Author's Notes:
After this chapter, things should get going a bit. Still don't own anything Office related. Except a couple of DVDs.
March 22, 2005

“Hello?”

“Mark, what up man?” Jim had called his friend Mark on his drive back to Penn State.

“Jim- how was the interview?”

“Oh. My. God. You wouldn’t believe it if I told you.”

“You’re probably right…want to go to the basketball game tonight?”

Mark, Jim’s roommate, and Jim were in their final semester at Penn State. Mark was going to work at a hospital for a year, and then get his master’s in psychology, hopefully, starting the next fall.

“So you really don’t care about what happened in my interview that would make me say you wouldn’t believe it?”

“That’s about right.” Mark paused. “Of course I care, moron, what happened?”

“Do you remember Dwight?”

“Dwight…”

“Schrute.”

“From high school?”

“Yup.”

“Yeah…I remember him- I just wish I could forget him. Why are you asking?”

“He’s the new assistant principal at West Scranton.”

“You’re shitting me.”

“Nope. And he had informed the new principal all about my high school days before I got there.”

“Wow. That…sucks. Sorry about that, man.”

“Yeah. But the thing that may be even more unbelievable is that I got the job.”

“What? How is that possible? What principal would hire someone who four years ago had the car of the then principal towed to the middle of the football field? The only person who would do that would have to have like… the worst judgment in the history of the world.”

“Yeah, and I think I just spoke with that person today. He told me it was hilarious and that I was exactly what the school needed. I am going to be the new English teacher at West Scranton High School.”

“Wow. Congratulations, man. That’s awesome.”

“Thanks, Mark.”

“Although…”

“What?”

“It just sucks that I will probably know the next subject of the Dateline student-teacher scandal. Do you think I’ll have to testify?”

“Har har, Mark. Shut it, alright?”

“You know I’m just messin’ with you. Seriously, congratulations.”

“Thanks. See you later.”

“So, will you be back for the game?”
End Notes:
Next up: Jim starts work.
Chapter 4: The School Year Begins by ibraveheart
Author's Notes:
Skipped forward here a bit. We meet a couple more familiar faces in this chapter.
September 2, 2005

Jim Halpert groaned. Don’t get him wrong- he was excited to start his job. Career, actually, though that word had always kind of scared him. He was just going to miss summer. He had done basically nothing for the three months since he graduated. Mark and his other friends had started their jobs, and Jim’s job was to be there waiting for them when the weekend started, and otherwise be an absolute bum. It was the kind of existence that made him stress-free and without a care in the world, except that he sort of knew that living such a life at twenty-two years old was somewhat childish. But it was his last summer as a free man. Except that he was going to be a teacher and would thus still get his summers off. But still, it would be different after he started his job. Or career.

Jim got out of his Toyota Corolla and entered West Scranton High School. He had called Mr. Scott, the principal, three times last week to figure out what he needed to do when he got here, but had never actually spoken to him on the phone, each time leaving a message asking what time he needed to come in and whom he needed to ask for. Each time Michael called back, Jim let it go to voicemail, and then instantly regretted doing so, although it was probably better than having to actually speak with Michael. He couldn’t believe this guy was first of all, his new boss, and second of all a high school principal. The first time Michael called back, the message he left said, “Jimbag. Jimbo. Jimaroni. This is your new friend, Michael, returning your call. I’m just chillin’ right now, ya know, enjoying the summer tryin’ to keep all the ladies off me. Gimme a holla later to tell me what you’re doing.” That message answered none of his questions and was just kind of…weird. The next message, Michael spoke in a weird voice and said, “Fat Halpert. Fat Halpert. This is Michael again. Just callin’ ya back. Phone tag- smack! You’re it. Later.” Again, just creepy. The third message, Michael said, “Can’t wait to see you in a couple days, Jimsock. I guess it will be on Tuesday. Holla!” At least that one told him to come on Tuesday.

So Jim walked in at 8:00, not wanting to be late, and made his way to the principal’s office. As he walked in, he stopped at the door as he noticed the secretary, and his breathing stopped. She. Was. Gorgeous. And not the same person he had met in March. She wasn’t really glammed up like some girls were, but she had that understated, natural beauty that so few people were truly blessed with. Her dress was professional-like, with a striped button-down and a cardigan, but she still looked absolutely beautiful. She had curly hair pinned up in a barrette and a gold chain around her neck. He was in love.

“Um…hi,” he said to her, as he walked up to her desk.

“Hi,” she said sweetly, smiling at him.

What a smile, Jim thought. She could light up a town with that. “Um, I’m the new English teacher, and I think I need to speak with Mr. Scott.”

“Oh. Michael won’t be in probably for…” she looked up at the clock, “a couple of hours. It’s his summer break and he has to ‘get his beauty sleep for the ladies,’” she told him, as she made air quotes around the end of the sentence.

“Wow,” said Jim. He instantly admired her contempt for her boss, as he had grown to feel the same, though he had only had one conversation with him. “Do you know… I mean… do you have any idea what I should do until he gets here? I mean… it’s my first day as a teacher and I don’t really know…”

“Oh, yeah,” she interrupted his rambling. “Angela Martin is the head of the English department; I’ll just take you to see her. She’ll know what to do.”

“Thanks,” he smiled at her.

She got up and walked to the door. “C’mon.”

They had walked down the hall for a minute or so when Jim said, “So I’m Jim, by the way. Jim Halpert.”

“Pam Beesly,” she said, sticking out her hand to shake his. He noticed that it fit perfectly in his.

“So did you just start, or…”

“No, I’ve worked her for three years, I guess. When Mr. Truck retired, Michael decided to keep me on. Said I would do a great job as ‘the face of the school,’ whatever that means.”

Jim cringed a bit; he was starting to realize that maybe his boss was a creep. Though, if his boss had any sense, he wouldn’t have hired him after he heard about Jim’s antics, so maybe it wasn’t all that bad. “Oh. It’s just that I didn’t see you when I came to interview last March, so I figured…”

“Yeah. I was pretty sick for a couple of weeks last spring, so they had someone come in and cover for me. I missed most of the interviews for your job.”

“How many people did they actually interview?”

“Um, I’m not sure. I think about ten. Michael told me all of them were too ‘buttoned up’ except for the guy he hired who was hilarious.” She paused. “I was actually kind of scared to meet you when Michael said that.”

Jim chuckled and looked at her. She was grinning up at him. “Yeah, I think I would be, too, actually. But I don’t think I’m too scary.”

“Me neither. But what did you say to him in your interview?”

Well, here’s where she finds out how pathetic I am. “Um, do you know Dwight?”

“Schrute? Unfortunately.”

“Yeah. Well, he was in my high school class here at West Scranton. And I used to kind of play pranks on him and stuff. And Dwight told Michael all about them, and then a couple of the senior pranks I pulled, and Michael thought there were awesome. I actually kind of thought I was done for, but Michael said I was just what the school needed.”

“What kind of pranks?” she asked curiously.

“Well, I don’t know all of what Dwight told Michael, but I used to just mess with his locker and stuff. Like one time I popped a stink bomb in it and it smelled for like a week and everyone was pretty mad at him. I convinced everyone it was some kind of beet odor from his beet farm, and that got him even angrier. And one time, I got a hold of his car keys out of his book bag while we were in gym class and moved his car to a shopping center down the road so that when he went to drive home at the end of the day, his car was gone. And one time I switched out his P.E. uniform with a girl’s uniform. I don’t know, stuff like that.”

When he finished, he looked over at her. She was looking at the ground and laughing with her arms wrapped around herself. He thought it was adorable.

“Wow,” she finally said. “I really wish I could’ve seen Dwight’s reaction to all of that.”

“Well, if you’ve spent any time with him, I’m sure you can guess what happened. He always ran to tell Mr. Truck. Which was especially funny when he was in the girls’ P.E. uniform. I never could figure out why he kept that on, or never realized it didn’t fit him, but it’s Dwight, and I gave up trying to explain his actions years ago.”

She laughed out loud, and it was like music to his ears. “So that’s what Dwight told Michael that made him hire you?”

“I actually don’t know what Dwight told Michael, but the thing that Michael thought was the coolest was when I had Mr. Truck’s car towed to the football field one day.”

“What? Why would Michael think a prank on the principal was hilarious? He’s the principal now.”

“Yeah, that was what had me so baffled. But, it’s Michael, so…”

“Yeah,” she said.

Things got quiet, then, as they walked down the halls. Soon, they arrived at their destination. “Angela?” Pam said as she knocked on a classroom door.

“Yes?” said Angela coldly. Angela was a short, skinny blonde woman who was sitting at her desk dressed in a gray sweater over a white collared shirt buttoned all the way up. The way she answered Pam coupled with the way she was dressed made Jim shiver a bit.

“This is Jim Halpert. He’s the new English teacher.”

“Very well,” Angela said, with almost no emotion. “I’ll take care of him. You may go, now.”

“Okay, um, bye, Jim.”

“Bye, Pam.”
End Notes:
A/N: I’ve decided to split up Jim’s first day a bit for length reasons. And I imagined that school begins mid-September. Decreases the amount of time I have to cover, and it helps me with the timeline a bit.
Chapter 5: The Department Head and Old Habits by ibraveheart
Author's Notes:
Last chapter for the day.

I think Angela would fit in very well with a couple of my old English teachers.

Oh, and I know very little about teaching, so if it’s inaccurate, I apologize. I figure having Michael as the principal will help my cause some, since his school will run nothing like a school actually should.
September 2, 2005

“Hi, Ms. Martin, I’m Jim Halpert,” Jim said, extending his hand.

“Yes, I know,” Angela said, shaking his hand firmly. “I would have liked to participate in the hiring process myself, but Michael assures me you will do a good job.”

“Well, I’m certainly going to do my best.”

“Yes. Okay. Well, this is the curriculum from the county. You need to draw up lesson plans and submit them to me by Thursday using this curriculum. There is a suggested list of outside reading, beyond the textbook, listed in the curriculum. You need to pick at least five of those readings and submit your choices to me. I also need a syllabus by Thursday, which generally outlines your lesson plans, lists classroom policies, and includes how you will evaluate your students.”

“Evaluate?”

“You know- grades? The reason students come to school. Learning? Where did they find you?”

“Um… Penn State?”

“Party school. Figures. Nothing but heathens coming out of there.”

“So you went to…”

“Messiah College. In Grantham. I majored in English and was certified to teach for grades 7-12. I received a 4.0 grade point average. I also minored in Biblical and Religious studies, which brought me even closer to the Lord. I then began here three years ago and have quickly risen to become head of the English department.”

“Wow… that’s um… quite impressive, Angela.”

“Ms. Martin.”

“Ms. Martin. Sorry.”

“What did you major in at… Penn State?” Angela asked, saying ‘Penn State’ with utter contempt and distaste.

“I actually double majored in English and Education. Which is why I’m here trying to be an English teacher.”

“Hmmph. Well, how were your grades Mr. Halpert?”

“Um, I did pretty well. A’s and B’s.”

“Well, maybe you will be adequate as a member of this department, then. Here are your materials. Your classroom is Room 707. I suggest you get to work, since you have never before written lesson plans.”

“Well, actually I did that when I student taught, but thanks for the advice, I guess. Good to meet you, Ms. Martin.”

“Good bye.”

Jim walked out of the room and let out a big exhale. Why did he just feel like he stepped down from the witness stand after cross-examination? The two people that he directly answered to were an uptight disciplinarian and a middle aged man who acted like a misguided teenager. Pam’s pretty cool, though, he thought. I need to get to know her. Jim walked down the hall and turned right into his classroom. Wow. His classroom. It was only six years ago that he sat in the back of this classroom and shot a spitball at Dwight. He laughed to himself. Dwight had jumped up and yelled, “Mucous!” causing the whole room to erupt in laughter. Even the teacher had chuckled, having long ago tired of Dwight’s brownnosing, weird opinions, tattle-tale nature, and just…everything else about Dwight. Jim sometimes missed those days. But now he had to get to work creating lesson plans and a syllabus. Jim sat down at his desk, pulled some paper and a pen out of his messenger bag, and got to work.

Forty-five minutes later, Jim’s head hit his desk. He thought he might die of boredom. Yes, he had written lesson plans before, and yes he was somewhat excited about being a teacher, but this was painful. He was coming off a summer of doing nothing. How could anyone expect him to jump right back into some kind of working routine with both feet? Jim groaned and walked out of his classroom, noticing the bare walls and thinking he would have to do something to spruce this place up a bit. Jim walked toward the faculty break room. He knew where that was from his school days. He smiled and remembered the time that he told Dwight that some teachers were in there plotting against Mr. Truck. Dwight ran in and began yelling accusations at the teachers, who were none too pleased. When Mr. Truck pulled Dwight out of the room, Dwight spent twenty minutes trying to explain that his actions were only out of loyalty and that it was the teachers who should be punished. Yeah, that was a good day. Dwight deserved it though for raising his hand during Algebra class and telling the teacher that Jim was playing tetris on his calculator and that it was ‘disruptive to the learning environment.’ Ugh. Jim stepped into the break room, and for the first time today, saw his nemesis.

“Hey, Dwight.”

“Jim?” Dwight said as he stood up. He had been sitting behind Angela in a chair, and apparently the two had been talking, while both sat in chairs facing the same direction. Weird. “What are you doing here?”

“Just getting some coffee,” Jim said as he picked up the coffee pot and poured some coffee into his Penn State mug.

“Bye, Ms. Martin,” Jim said as he turned toward the door as Angela scurried out of the room.

When Jim turned back around toward the interior of the room, Dwight was three inches away staring right into his face. “Jim, let me make something quite clear. I am now your boss. I graduated college in three years, which is something that takes a slacker like you four.”

“Don’t they call it a four year degree?” Jim interrupted.

“For a normal person, yes, but I am a Schrute. I worked very hard to get where I am today, and am older and wiser than I was when you knew me. Do not mess with me, Halpert.”

“O-kay, then. What were you talking to Angela about?”

“Angela from English?”

“Um, yeah, you know, the person who was just in here talking to you.”

“We were speaking about education business. The new textbooks should be arriving today, and we were also discussing possible changes to the curriculum, not that it’s any of your business.”

“I actually think that changes to the English curriculum would be my business, you know, since I am an English teacher.”

“Jim, do not question my authority. I am Assistant Principal…”

“Assistant to the Principal,” Jim corrected.

“Same thing,” Dwight said.

“Um, I’m pretty sure it’s not. Remember in my interview? Michael specifically said that it’s lower.”

“You can refer to Michael as Mr. Scott. Michael has accomplished things in secondary education that you cannot even fathom. No one in this school will ever be able to come even close to accomplishing what he has.”

“Did you just call Mr. Scott Michael? With all his accomplishments, I would figure everyone would have to refer to him as Mr. Scott.”

“I alone can call him Michael. As Assistant Principal…”

“Assistant to the Principal.”

“I am the number two ranking person in this school. I have earned the right to speak to Michael in an informal matter, as a sign of mutual respect.”

“Sure, Dwight. I’m going to get back to work. I have to fill out those forms Michael wanted everyone to fill out by noon or he’s going to be ticked,” Jim said as he began to walk out of the room.

“What form?” Dwight asked.

“Dwight, c’mon, you know what form,” Jim said, still walking away.

“Jim, as your boss…”

“You are not my boss.”

“Yes, I am.”

“Not really. I checked. Your position is really kind of an informal one. I answer to Michael and Angela.”

“Jim, it’s Mr. Scott and Ms. Martin. Second, I am the second in command here, and as such I order you to tell me what form you are going to fill out.”

“Fine. Mich…Mr. Scott wanted everyone to write down their suggestions for the new cafeteria menu and submit them to him by the end of the day.”

“What?”

“Dwight- you’re the second highest ranking person here. I just assumed you would know about the investigations.”

“What investigations?” Dwight whispered conspiratorially.

“Dwight, if you don’t know, I’m not sure I’m the person to be telling you this. I mean, I don’t want to get in trouble.”

“Jim, as a Schrute I am extremely trustworthy. No one will know. Now, what is the investigation?”

“Okay, Dwight, but this is just between us. Apparently, the Department of Health found some things in the cafeteria that were…well, they should not have been there. Now the whole operation is in jeopardy, and Michael wanted everyone’s suggestions about what we could do.”

“I see,” Dwight said. “Perhaps I should make my own investigation. As a roadside beet salesman, I have a great deal of experience in the food service industry.”

Jim had to contain his smile. This was going just as he thought it would. “Just be careful, Dwight. The people I saw go in there…it’s pretty bad, Dwight. Some kind of virus they can’t identify yet. If I personally were to go back there…do you have like some sort of protective suit you could wear?”

“Of course I do. After I saw Outbreak and heard about the bird flu, I bought a protective suit to protect myself from biological attack.”

“Great thinking, Dwight. I just wish I had one. If you are going anywhere near the cafeteria, I would be sure to put that on.”

“I keep one in my office. I’ll be sure to get it. Jim, you did the right thing in telling me about this.”

“Dwight, it was my honor.”
End Notes:
This chapter actually went in a very different direction from where I imagined. The prank just came to me as I was typing. Weird. I hope it works. I can personally see Dwight keeping a biohazard protection suit in his office.

And there actually is a Messiah College in Grantham, PA.

More tomorrow.
Chapter 6: A First Prank and a First...Date? by ibraveheart
September 2, 2005

Jim smiled and waited one minute. Then he left the break room and began to walk towards Dwight’s office. He did not want to miss this. Sure, he had promised himself before he began this job that he would grow up and would resist the temptation to mess with Dwight. But he couldn’t help himself. Who throws around titles like that? I mean, sure, Dwight had a good job now as Assistant (to the) Principal, but c’mon. Plus, Michael specifically hired him to lighten this place up a bit, so he was just doing his job, right? Right, he told himself as he walked into the office and saw Pam again. Still breathtaking. I need to ask her to lunch, Jim thought.

“What’s up?” she asked him as he walked in.

“Nothing much, just um…did Dwight come in here?”

“Um, yes, he ran in here just a second ago. Why?”

“No big reason. Just wondering,” Jim said with a small smile.

“What’s going on?”

“Okay, I’ll tell you, but you can’t rat me out.”

“Rat you out? What is this, a mob movie?”

“I’m seriously, Beesly, I can’t lose this job on my first day.”

“Okay. What’s going on?”

“I told Dwight…I told him the department of health is investigating the cafeteria, and suggested that maybe he should investigate. I told him he shouldn’t go in there without some sort of protection, and he just so happens to have a biohazard protection suit in his office.”

“You’re kidding.”

“Um, no, I’m not.”

“That is awesome. So is he…?”

“Oh, yeah, he should be changing right now. I just came down to give him some last minute warnings. And to take pictures of him with my phone. Which I will plaster all over the school.”

Pam laughed at him. Man, she’s so beautiful when she laughs; her whole face lights up. I gotta get her to do that more often.

Just then, Dwight came out of his office in his suit, complete with a mask and some sort of heavy duty rubber gloves.

“Dwight?” said Pam.

“Yes, Pam?” answered Dwight.

“I just read the reports from the Department of Health. It does not look pretty. Please, please be careful.” Jim looked at her and grinned broadly. He had just found an accomplice.

“Pam, as a volunteer sheriff’s deputy, I have been in these circumstances before. I know exactly what to do.”

“They send the police to handle stuff like this?” Jim asked. “Volunteer police?”

“Jim, my job requires me to subject myself to all types of danger. In my line of work, this is nothing new.”

“In your line of work as Assistant to the Principal?”

“No, Jim. My weekend job as a volunteer sheriff’s deputy.”

“Ah. Well, be careful, Dwight, like Pam said. I wouldn’t personally go in there, but I’m sure you can handle it.”

“Of course I can. We Schrutes have been warriors for generations, and with my genes this suit may not even be necessary. I am impervious to many types of germs and bacteria that would normally kill a man.”

“Then why do you even have the suit?”

“Safety, Jim. Who knows what the enemies of America have cooked up to fight us.”

“And then unleashed on a high school cafeteria. In Scranton.”

“Right.”

“Right. Well, good luck, Dwight. Oh, one more thing, can I…get a picture? I mean, if you end up being a hero, the papers will want a photo, and…well, this shot could be valuable.”

“Of course, Jim. But I will need 80% of the proceeds.”

“Obviously. Okay. On three…one, two, three.” Jim snapped the photo, and looked at it on his phone.

“Yep, this came out great. Good luck.”

“To infinity and beyond!” Dwight yelled out as he ran towards the cafeteria.

“Oh my god!” Pam laughed as she watched Dwight run off.

“Toy Story was a popular movie, Pam. Buzz Lightyear was a hero to all,” Jim said seriously as he leaned his body against the counter.

“What does he think he is going to accomplish in there?” Pam asked.

“I don’t know exactly. I’m just concerned that he may give someone a heart attack in his Darth Vader outfit. Considering no one else knows about the dangerous biohazards in the school. The ones that don’t actually exist.”

“Right.” She was still grinning up at him from behind her counter. Jim felt like he could look at her forever. And if he wanted to do that…

“So,” Jim began, “since the cafeteria is obviously going to be shut down for a little while, do you want to go out to lunch today?”

“Oh…um…”

“C’mon, Beesly. Tell you what- it’s on me. So long as you stick to the dollar menu.”

“Well…um…okay. If you put it that way, how can a girl refuse?”

“Good. I’ll, um, be back here at like, noon?”

“Sure.”

“Okay. See you then.” Jim shot her one last grin as he walked out the door. As he walked down the hallway, he heard screams coming from the cafeteria.

Maybe this job wasn’t going to be so bad.
Chapter 7: Insubordination by ibraveheart
Author's Notes:
I came up with the completion of this prank as I wrote it. I figure that nothing makes Dwight madder than someone questioning his authority and bringing him down a peg or two. If only I could figure out which characters would be the ones to do that…
September 2, 2005

It was 11:30. Jim had created a rough outline of his lesson plans, listing the material he hoped to cover, and he created his syllabus. He was bored out of his mind. He wanted to be a teacher so that he could, you know, actually teach. Lesson plans and syllabi did not interest him in the least. He would have preferred to just plan something to do each day before class, but he figured Angela probably wouldn’t appreciate that. He actually wondered if Angela would appreciate anything.

He spent the next ten minutes playing solitaire on his cell phone under his desk, figuring if Angela came in he could tell her he was thinking of ways to enhance the learning experience for his students. That sounded good. At 11:40, Jim was tired of sitting. He figured if he walked slowly he could reach the secretary’s desk just before noon. Plus, he wanted to see Dwight again.

So he got up and made his way down the hall and towards the principal’s office again. It took three minutes. Oh, well. “Hey, Pam,” Jim said quietly as he entered, with a shy grin. All of a sudden, he had gotten a little nervous.

“Hey,” she answered back.

“So,” he started, leaning down on the counter, “did Dwight come back?”

“Yes,” she said slowly, with her face still turned to her computer.

“What did he say?”

“Well, apparently, Dwight believes the cafeteria crew is in complete denial about the investigation. And Dwight uncovered some things he believes the health department to have missed, so…yeah.”

“And?”

“Dwight has used his powers as Assistant Principal to indefinitely shut down the cafeteria.”

“But he’s only Assistant to the Principal.”

“That’s what I said, but he told me when Michael is gone that his powers are ‘supreme and plenary.’”

“Obviously.”

“Dwight is now in the cafeteria in his suit with a pressure washer cleaning the kitchens.”

Jim’s eyebrows rose to the top of his forehead with this information. “Wow,” was all he could say.

“Yeah.”

“Can we go see?”

“I tried, but he has covered the outside of the doors in police tape, and there’s no way to break through such an imposing barrier.”

“Because the tape clearly states that we cannot cross.”

“Exactly.”

“Well, I like to live dangerously. C’mon.”

“Okay, but only if you promise to lead the way,” Pam smiled at him.

“Sure. I’ll lead, but you have to watch my back,” Jim said.

“Deal.”

As the two of them reached the door to the cafeteria, Jim turned to Pam and asked, “Now, Pam, I have to warn you that what we are about to do could lead to jail time. Do you know the penalty for interfering with a volunteer sheriff’s deputy investigation?”

“Actually, no.”

“Shoot. I was hoping you did. Well, it can’t be more than five to ten and I’m only on strike one, and you get three, so…”

“Nothing to worry about.”

“Right. So how do you want to play this?”

“I don’t know. What do you want to do?” Pam asked with a little hesitation.

“Here’s what I’m thinking. We go in and just start acting like we are going to cook something and nothing is wrong. Dwight will start to tell us about contamination, and we just play dumb.”

“Okay.”

“Okay. Follow my lead.”

Jim and Pam entered the cafeteria and walked back into the kitchen. Jim walked into the freezer after turning on an oven to look for food.

“What are you doing here?” Dwight yelled. “This is a contaminated area! Didn’t you see the police tape I put on the door?!!”

“What are you talking about, Dwight?” Jim asked, as he emerged from the freezer.

“The health investigation- this area could contain serious bacteria and deadly viruses.”

“Dwight, are you feeling okay?” Jim asked.

“Yeah, and what’s with the costume?” Pam asked.

“I just…I just told you. This is a dangerous area. Jim, this morning you told me about the hazards of this area, and I am just fulfilling my duties as part of this town’s law enforcement.”

“Um, Dwight, I don’t know what you’re talking about. This area certainly isn’t dangerous, and there is no health investigation going on. How would I know if there was? It’s my first day here.”

“Pam, talk some sense into Jim,” Dwight said.

“Dwight, I think you might be having some kind of delusion. There is nothing wrong with the cafeteria. Jim and I were just coming in for a snack. And there’s no police tape outside the door.”

“Although…” Jim began, “this place was probably in need of a good scrubbing before the school year started. Good job, Dwight. I’m sure the janitors will be most appreciative.”

“Jim,” Dwight said menacingly through clenched teeth, “I am not a janitor. I am an Assistant Principal…”

“Assistant to the Principal,” Pam interrupted.

“…Currently acting in my line of duty as a sheriff’s deputy.”

“Volunteer deputy,” Jim corrected.

“Same thing,” Dwight answered.

“Okay. C’mon, Pam, let’s go. Dwight, I’ll be sure to visit the janitor and tell him this room is taken care of. Good work.” With that, Jim and Pam walked off to Dwight’s yelling at them about insubordination and having a talk later with Michael.
End Notes:
Next up: The first date
Chapter 8: A Not So Welcome Surprise by ibraveheart
Author's Notes:
I will be incorporating things from the series into my story. This is the first of them. Jim’s thoughts in italics. And I don’t own Forget Paris, Cugino’s, or anything, really.
September 2, 2005

“So, where do you want to go for lunch?” Jim asked.

“Hmm…well, let me think about the options. I have to decide which dollar menu is best…”

“Yeah…that was a joke, um, probably not a good one, but, yeah. Do you, um, like Cugino’s?”

“I’ve never been.”

“What? Pam, how long have you been in Scranton? Cugino’s is the best!”

“Well, I moved here three years ago with…um…”

“In three years you haven’t been to Cugino’s?”

“No,” Pam answered shyly.

“Well, then it’s settled. That’s where we’re going.”

“Okay.”

The drive over was nice. Jim thought maybe Pam was a little nervous like he was, but still incredibly adorable. She played with his radio, which didn’t bother him at all, and softly hummed along with the songs coming out of the speakers. Yeah, he was a goner.

They arrived at Cugino’s and Jim raced over to open Pam’s door and help her out of the car, trying to earn good gentleman points. “Thanks,” Pam smiled, as she took his hand and got out of the car. There’s that smile again, Jim thought. Yeah, this is going to be great.

The two of them were taken to a booth in the back by their hostess and handed menus. “So what’s good?” Pam asked.

“All of it’s pretty good. Most of it tastes like your standard Italian dish.”

“I thought it was ‘the best,’” Pam teased.

“Um, okay, Beesly, it is. I meant that there aren’t any weird ingredients or anything like that. I mean, chicken parmesan is basically made of the same things everywhere, but it just tastes better here.”

“Alright, then. Next time, try to be a little more clear with what you are trying to say.”

“I’ll try.”

“Good. So what’s good?”

“Well, Pam, all of it is your basic Italian dish in terms of ingredients, but the difference is that here, it just tastes much better.”

“Okay. I think I’ll try linguini with shrimp. How ‘bout you?”

“Um, I usually get the chicken parmesan.”

“Like the guy in Forget Paris?”

“Huh?”

Forget Paris. Billy Crystal always orders veal parmesan when they go out to eat, and his wife gets made at him for being so boring.”

“So you think I’m boring?”

“I’m just saying…the same thing every time you go out…at least you don’t eat the same lunch every day.”

“Um, actually I do pretty much eat the same lunch every day.”

“Really?”

“Uh-huh.”

“And that doesn’t get boring?”

“I don’t…I don’t really need a lot of variety in my meals. If you find something you like, you should stick with it, right?”

Pam gave him a curious look and said, “Okay.”

Soon, the waitress came and took their drink orders (a coke for each of them) and their food orders (Pam rolled her eyes and sighed with exasperation when Jim ordered). They began to recap their day messing with Dwight so far and laughing until the time their food came. When it came, they began to eat and continued doing so until Pam said, “Jim?”

“Hmm?” Jim managed to get out with a mouth full of pasta.

“I have a confession to make.”

“What’s that?” Jim asked after he swallowed.

“I eat the same lunch every day, too.”

“Really?”

“Mm-hmm. Yogurt. Mixed berry. It’s awesome.”

“Sounds like it if you eat it every day.”

“Just wanted to let you know.”

“Okay, Beesly.”

They ate for a little while longer and then Jim asked Pam to tell him some more about her.

“Well, I grew up in Carbondale. My parents moved away, but I stuck around and spent a year at Marywood before I got the job at the high school…”

“What were you studying?”

“Art. I really like to do illustrations, um, I’d still like to do something like that someday.”

“So…why did you, um, quit?”

“Well, when my parents moved away I had to get my own place, so I had to make some money, and, um, Roy got me an interview at the school. I didn’t really have time then to keep going to school, obviously, but I’m hoping to take some night classes when I save up enough money.”

“Cool. Who got you the interview at the school?” What I mean is, who is this Roy character?

“Um, Roy did. He’s my boyfriend. He’s the football coach and he teaches auto shop. We started dating in high school. He’s a really nice guy, Jim.”

And there it is. How in the world did I expect someone like her to be available? And how in the world can I be so bad at reading a woman’s signals? “Yeah, I’m sure he is. Maybe you can introduce me later.” Yikes. Why would I want her to introduce me to her boyfriend after I spent all morning flirting with her? What is wrong with me?

“Oh, um, yeah. Maybe. He just… he doesn’t like to be interrupted during the day, usually, but yeah…”

“Okay. Well, either way. Hey, you ready to go?”

“Sure.”

“Okay. We better get back. It’s my first day and all. Gotta walk the line, at least for a little while.”

“Oh, is creating a fake department of health investigation on your first day what you call ‘walking the line’?”

“Sure, Pam. I’m just looking out for the health of our students. The cafeteria probably was dirty. And now, Dwight is cleaning it. I’m a problem solver, Pam. It’s what I do.”

“Ah, now I see,” Pam said as she smiled up at him.

Too bad she’s in love with someone else, Jim thought. She’s perfect.
End Notes:
Kinda sad. Poor Jim. Hope it works out for him.

That's all for today. Tomorrow- Jim meets some more teachers. Michael comes to school. Jim's first day of classes.
Chapter 9: Introductions by ibraveheart
Author's Notes:
We meet some more characters. A couple of these jokes are borrowed from the series, because they do it best.
No copyright infringement intended.
September 2, 2005


Jim and Pam were laughing as they walked back in to the main office, and then…

“There he is! The new kid on the block!”

“Oh, um, hi, Mr. Scott.”

“Please call me Michael. We’re friends now.”

“Sure, um, sorry, Michael.”


“I see you’ve met our secretary, Pamalot. If you think she’s hot now, you should’ve seen her when I hired her.”

“Michael, what??? You didn’t even hire me. That was Ed Truck. And you just met me last year. I look the same.”

“Sure, um, okay. Women, sheesh. Jim-let’s introduce you to some of the other teachers around here. Let’s get you exposed.”

Jim made a funny face.

Michael began to stammer, “Um…not…exposed…intro…introduce….introducted to the rest of the staff. Let’s go.”

Just then, Dwight came in, still wearing his chemical suit. “There you are!” Dwight pointed his power washing wand menacingly at Jim. “Michael, this morning Jim fabricated a story about the department of health condemning our cafeteria. I then took it upon myself as Assistant Principal…”

“Assistant to the Principal,” Michael corrected.

“…To look into the matter myself and rid our cafeteria of any possible carcinogens or contaminating agents. Jim broke across my police safety tape and then claimed that there was, in fact, no ongoing investigation. I suggest you fire him, now.”

“Jim, is that true?” Michael asked.

“Um, I went to the cafeteria, Pam was with me, to kind of just see if things had changed any since I had been here. I saw Dwight in a weird costume, and wanted to see what was going on out of concern for the school. Then Dwight started talking about investigations, sheriff’s deputies, and health departments, and I was really confused. I figured he just wanted to really shine up the cafeteria before school started.” Jim shrugged and said, “Pam, did you hear about any health investigation?”

“No, I think Dwight kind of made that up as an excuse to use his power sprayer and that costume.”

“First of all,” Dwight said, “this is not a costume. This is a contamination suit. It protects me from any type of biological attack. Secondly, why would I make up a health investigation?”

“I just figured you were a dedicated worker, Dwight, and wanted to go beyond the call of duty to make the school as aesthetically pleasing as possible. Unless I was wrong about your level of dedication…” Jim trailed off.

“NO!” Dwight yelled. “I am more dedicated than anyone, Michael. I did this to improve the school as best I could!” Dwight said, grabbing Michael by the arms.

“Ugh. Get away, Dwight. ‘Luke, I am your father,’” Michael said in a terrible Darth Vader impression, laughing and pointing at Dwight.


“I would never fight for the dark side, Michael,” Dwight said, totally dejected from his interaction with Michael.

“Okay, Dwight, just…go away and do… whatever it is you do around here. I have to introduce Jim to everyone.”

“Fine.” Dwight slunk back into his office.

As Jim walked out of the office, he turned back to smile at Pam, and felt a pull on his heart strings when she was doing the same.

Jim and Michael first ran into a Hispanic man in the hallway. “Oscar!” Michael called. “Oscar Martinez, this is my new friend, Jim Halpert. He is our new English teacher. Jim, this is Oscar. He teaches Spanish. Wow, you both teach languages, so you have something in common right away.”

“Michael, I teach Geometry,” Oscar said. “You hired me to be a math teacher, remember?”

“Really? No, that can’t be right. Why would I hire a Mexican to teach math?” Michael queried. He then realized his comment wasn’t exactly appropriate and said, “I mean, of course someone of your…eth…ethni…ethnicalous background can teach anything, but Spanish just seems more…”

“More what, Michael?”

“More your…you know…”

“No, I don’t.”

“Okay. Well, Jim this is Oscar. He is not a Spanish teacher,” Michael said, adding, “though it would be much better if he was,” under his breath.

“Hi,” Oscar said to Jim, ignoring Michael’s last comment.

“Good to meet you,” Jim said, relieved to finally have an end to the awkwardness Michael created.

“Okay,” Michael said, “We’ve got to keep moving, Oscar, but let me know if you want to get some margaritas after work. Or maybe enchiladas. And let me know when the Mexican new year is coming up.”

Oscar shook his head as Michael and Jim walked away.

Jim next met Andy Bernard, who taught history, which is apparently what Andy “minored in at the Ivy League school which he attended.” Jim replied, “What’s the Ivy League? Is that like a gardening club, or…?” Andy looked shocked, and said, “No. It’s a collection of the best schools in the country. I went to Cornell, one of the best schools in the country, which is part of the Ivy League.”

“Ah,” Jim answered. “So you don’t know how to garden?”

“Not really, no. But I am an a capella singer. Which I also started at Cornell. Which is in the Ivy league. Where I went to college.”

Jim had to find a way out of this one-sided conversation. “Okay. Well, nice to meet you.” As Jim walked off, he heard Andy say, “See ya round Big English.” Jim gave a look of confusion.

Next, Jim met someone he actually knew. Kevin, the P.E. teacher, who had taught Jim in his P.E. classes at West Scranton. Jim knew him well because he took the maximum number of P.E. credits in high school. “Jimbo, this is Kevin Malone, he teaches P.E., though you wouldn’t guess it from looking at him,” Michael laughed.

Kevin gave a confused look and then said, “Hey…” in a slow voice.

“I know Mr. Malone, Michael, he taught me back in the day. How’s it going?” Jim asked as he shook his hand.

“The same,” Kevin said. “Good to see you. You can call me Kevin, now.”

“Okay,” Jim smiled, “See you round, Kevin.”

Next, Jim met Mr. and Mrs. Bob Vance. “Bob Vance, West Scranton High School,” Bob said as he shook Jim’s hand. Okay. “Jim Halpert.”

“Bob teaches two things,” Michael said, “Technology and how to mack on the big girls,” Michael said, nodding at Mrs. Bob Vance, a.k.a. Phyllis, who taught home economics.

“What did you say, Scott?” Bob said to Michael.

“Um, nothing. Jim, this is Phyllis, our resident senior. She teaches home ec.”

“We’re the same age, Michael,” Phyllis said as she shook Jim’s hand. “It’s so nice to have you here, Jim,” Phyllis said as she pulled Jim into what was kind of a creepy hug, especially considering that her husband was next to her.

“Nice to be here,” Jim managed to answer.

“Oh, look,” said Michael, “There’s Roy Anderson, the football coach. This isn’t like a University, though, Jim. I’m the highest paid person at this school, not the football coach.”

“That’s, um, great, Michael. Congratulations,” Jim said.

“Thank you kind sir. Roy!” Michael yelled.

Jim saw Pam’s boyfriend walking towards him and Michael with a look of exasperation on his face. Does everyone look at Michael that way, Jim wondered.
“Roy this is Jim Halpert, our new English teacher. Jim, this is Roy Anderson, he’s gettin’ it from the secretary, you know, Pam.” Roy contorted his face in a kind of grimace and said, “Wha…”

Michael interrupted with, “Still gettin’ it regular, coach?”

“Um…” Roy began to stammer.

“Jim Halpert,” Jim said, extending his hand in an attempt to diffuse the situation.

“Roy,” Roy said, shaking Jim’s hand.

“I actually remember you from your playing days at Carbondale. I went here the same time you went there,” Jim said.

“Oh, yeah?” Roy asked. “You a big football fan?”

“Sure,” Jim said. “I mean, I played basketball, but obviously I’m a football fan. I went to Penn State, so I know all about big time football.”

“Cool,” Roy said. “If you wanna get a beer and watch games some time, I’ve got a group of guys I go out with, so just let me know. The more the merrier.”

“Cool, man. Will do,” Jim answered. Unfortunately, Roy seemed like a pretty nice guy after all.

Finally, Michael told Jim that he probably had to meet the head guidance counselor. “Though I would advise you to never go to him for guidance,” Michael said. “He’s divorced and can’t even keep his own life straight. I didn’t, and wouldn’t hire him. The school board makes all of the decisions about hiring guidance counselors. Ugh… those stupid burea…bureau…bureacratics. Can’t even trust me to run my own school. I’ve told our board representative, Jan, who is smokin’ hot, by the way, countless times how terrible he is, but she refuses to do anything about it. I don’t think I am overstating it, Jimbo, when I say that that man is a plague on this school and is the sole cause of everything wrong with education in America’s schools today. He has personally destroyed the lives of countless children. It’s just terrible, really,” Michael finished.

Man, Jim thought, this guy really must be some kind of monster for Michael to dislike him this much. Imagine Jim’s surprise when he walked into the counselor’s office to see a middle-aged man with sad eyes and a soft smile that had pictures of his daughter around his office. “I’m Toby,” the man said, shaking Jim’s hand.

“Um, yeah, I know, I, uh, went to school here a few years ago and you were the counselor then, too. Jim Halpert.” Obviously, Jim thought, Michael is a lunatic.

“See what I mean, Jim? Toby here didn’t even remember you from four years ago. What a snake…”

“Michael, the school has multiple counselors and we split the students up by last name. I have A through G…”

“Yeah, we only have to have multiple counselors because you can’t handle your job. What a joke. I just can’t even fath…fathomize what you do around here. Let’s go, Jim.”

“Um, okay, yeah. Good to see you again, Toby,” Jim said with a small wave.

He didn’t even hear Toby say, “You, too.”

What a day.
End Notes:
And so ends Jim’s first day as a teacher. I hate to end it on a somewhat sad note, but that’s what Toby is there for. Michael, Michael, Michael. I kind of feel bad for creating all of the inappropriate jokes he makes, because, well, I came up with them. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

I think this is the only one I'm going to add today. More tomorrow.
Chapter 10: First Day of School by ibraveheart
Author's Notes:
I wanted to say thanks to everyone who has reviewed. I’m kind of excited that it seems some people are reading this.

I'm not really sure about this chapter. I was having trouble writing Jim as the ‘cool' teacher. It’s not an easy thing to write, I don’t think. But I came up with something. I dunno.

Oh, and a minor shout-out to "The Devil and Angel in Pam Beesly" in here, even though I wasn't thinking about it at the time.
Jim punched his alarm clock, thinking, Please stop yelling at me. He had some trouble sleeping the night before, the night before he began his career as a teacher at West Scranton High School. He had gone over his lesson plan several times until he finally decided he had it in the bag. Just play it cool, he thought. After he got cleaned up and ate a quick breakfast, he was out the door and on his way.

His first class began at 8:30, and he got there at 7:45, checking in at the office first, just to let them know he didn’t chicken out. Plus, it meant he got to say hi to Pam. And see her smile at him. Yeah, that was the real reason he stopped by there, as he had found himself doing so multiple times a day during teacher preparation week. Now, on Monday, the first day of school, he saw no reason to break the habit. He did, however, decide to keep his relationship with her more professional, so that they became more like work acquaintances. She’s taken, he told himself. Plus, this is my job. We don’t really have that much to talk about except me torturing Dwight. And I can’t go on pranking Dwight all the time, even though he deserves it. It’s not worth getting fired over. Jim had resigned himself to acting professional. Or at least somewhat professional. He was not going to be one of those teachers that put his class to sleep.

The bell rang at 8:30, and Jim walked into the room from the side hall, seeing his class all seated. He said nothing and tried to put on a tough exterior. “You two,” he pointed at two of the boys in the front row, “get up here and pass out these books,” Jim said, pointing to a tall stack of new textbooks at the front of the room. “We are going to read pages one through twenty-two, SILENTLY, and then I want you to write a four-page synopsis of those pages, including your reactions and critique to the reading. Please keep emotional-type comments to a minimum. Begin the assignment when you receive your book. I expect it to be handed in at the beginning of class tomorrow. I’m going to get back to writing my novel.”

The class sat stunned. They slowly began their assignment, sort of shocked that this was how their year was going to go. A couple of minutes later, Jim heard some murmurs in the room and told the class to ‘pipe down.’

About 10 minutes in, Jim decided that they had had enough. Jim stood up and addressed the class. “Okay, I think that’s enough of that. Close your books, please. See, I had this bet with my roommate that I would scare my classes on my first day. And I really wanted to win. So you can’t blame me for that, right?” Jim smiled. “Okay, now that we have that out of the way, I want you guys to know that I actually don’t take myself quite that seriously. My name is Jim Halpert. You guys can call me Mr. Halpert or Jim or Jim Halpert. I kind of prefer Jim. Mr. Halpert is my dad’s name.” Jim heard some soft groans. “Yeah, it’s an old joke, but I just spent four years at college listening to them from professors, so it’s all I’ve got. The difference between high school and college, it seems, is that the kids in college are smart enough to at least chuckle at them.” Jim heard a couple of laughs at that one. “Quick learners, I like that. Good at following direction. I knew this was the right school. It’s my first day teaching, and I’m kind of excited about it. Seeing as how I didn’t really like freaking you guys out and how incredibly easy it was,” Jim paused, “I’ve decided I want a challenge this year instead of a sure thing. So I want to see if I can get at least some of you to show an interest in English. Though, you’ve spoken it for a while, so you should have some interest. So, okay, here’s what we are going to do instead of the scary assignment I tried to give you earlier,” Jim said. “Flip to the poetry section, and get in groups of like three or four. Pick one of the poems you like. Tomorrow, so that I can get to know all of you, I want you to tell the class why you like the poem and also bring in a song to play that reminds you of both the poem and yourself in some way. That will probably take us a couple of days. See the good thing about assignments like this is, for me, you guys tend to like them and I don’t really have to do any work. That’s the best of both worlds, right? So, that’s your job for today- talk about the poems with your classmates and maybe work together on song ideas. Do that for at least a while. See, I know how these group assignments go- pretty soon you guys will talking about parties and the football game on Friday and how stuck up the Bishop O’Hara kids are.” That got some laughs. “I do agree about that, but please do some work first. I know it’s your first day back and it’s kind of early, but do me a personal favor and make my first day easy.” The class actually seemed a little excited about the project, and mostly a little taken aback by their new teacher.

Class went on for the next forty minutes until Jim stood up in the front. “Okay, guys, we have just a few minutes left and I wanted to say a couple things. First, please don’t tell anyone about the act I put on at the beginning. I kind of want to do it to all of my classes today, because, well, I have to win my bet.” His class smiled. “So if you tell everyone anything, tell them about that and pretend it went on the whole time. If any of you want to cry or something, that would be perfect. Also, please remember your songs tomorrow, and please pick up a syllabus on the way out, which I will put right…here,” Jim finished as he set the syllabi down on a desk in the back. “Please take good care of those. It’s my first official syllabus ever, and if I do say so myself, it is absolutely spectacular. Truly puts any other syllabus you’ve ever seen to shame. Plus, I spent a chunk of last week, my summer, working on them. I told Angela, Ms. Martin to you guys, that it took me 12 hours to finish. Actually, it took about 45 minutes, and I may or may not follow it. But she is my boss, and to be honest, she scares me. Um, that’s it; see you tomorrow.” Just then, the bell rang and everyone got up. “HOLD IT!” Jim yelled. “The bell does not dismiss you! I dismiss you!” Jim broke out in a smile. “I’m just kidding; I just always wanted to say that.”

The class laughed again and began to leave. “Seriously, though, tell everyone I’m a jerk, please.”

The rest of Jim’s classes went pretty much the same way, and before he knew it, Jim had reached the final period of the day, which was his planning period. Which was awesome, by the way, to have the last period of the day off. Though Angela had made it quite clear to him that he was supposed to work the entire time, and that it was not some kind of “glorified playtime.” It was pretty clear that Angela was not a huge fan of Jim’s after hearing of his prank against Dwight, which Jim had finished off today by putting the picture he took of Dwight in a frame in the trophy case with the caption, “Dwight K. Schrute. Gold Medalist, 22nd Sci-Fi Olympiad.” Jim swore that was the last prank he would pull on Dwight. Plus, that was really more finishing the prank he had already started. He was pretty proud, though, when he heard some people talking about it when he walked to lunch. A part of Jim, however, started to feel sort of bad for Dwight when he heard people calling him weird.

Of course, that went away when Dwight approached Jim while Jim was on his way to the break room with Angela close behind. “Dwight. Angela,” Jim said, nodding at each of them.

Dwight immediately ripped into Jim. “Jim, I have just received some very disturbing reports on your first day. Angela has told me about some very unorthodox and thus unacceptable teaching methods of yours. Jim, we are dealing here with the youth of America. They are impressionable at this young age, and we cannot have people like you at this school contaminating their minds.”

“Dwight, what are you talking about?”

“As your direct superior, Jim…”

“You are not my superior.”

“It is my job to make sure that you do your job in a satisfactory manner. Since you have behaved recklessly today, despite specific instructions from Ms. Martin about the conduct we expect from our teachers, I will be forced…”

“Forced?”

“…to write a report recommending your termination and I will place said report on the desk of Michael Scott tomorrow morning.”

“Dwight, don’t you think you’re being just a bit extreme?”

“I most certainly do not, Jim. You’ve got to learn. Though your position as teacher gives you authority over students, you are not above the rules.”

“Okay, Dwight. I understand. When you sign this paper, will you sign it as…”

“Assistant Principal.”

“Assistant to the Principal. But that’s not what I was going to say. What I was going to ask is if you were going to include your Olympic title in the report.”

“Olympic title?”

“Yeah, didn’t you check the trophy case today?”

“No…I…”

“There’s some new award that you won this summer in there. It was a great looking picture of you. I just assumed you were going to make some kind of speech today or something.”

“Hmm. Well, I will have to go investigate this award to see if it is legitimate. Then I will decide how to proceed from there. Thank you, Jim, for bringing this to my attention.”

“Just doing my job, Dwight, as you are Assistant to the Principal.”

“Assistant Principal.”

“Mmm…pretty sure that’s not right. Alright, bye, Dwight. Bye, Angela.”

See, this kind of situation was the exact same kind that had gotten Jim in trouble in the past. Dwight’s overbearing and obnoxious nature was just the kind of thing that Jim despised, and now Jim was having an internal battle. He really wanted to take his job seriously, and knew Dwight’s current complaints to Michael couldn’t get him in trouble, though maybe the trophy case thing might, but pulling another prank on Dwight might be too much. Jim felt like he had an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other. The problem was, the devil was suggesting that Jim slash Dwight’s tires. The angel was suggesting a more "innocent" prank. So, Jim felt he really didn’t have any other option but to bring Dwight down a peg.

“Dammit Jim!” Jim heard Dwight scream from just down the hall. So, Jim felt he really didn’t have any other option but to bring Dwight down a peg. “Dammit Jim!” Jim heard Dwight scream again. Yeah, maybe Dwight had had enough today.

“Halpert,” Dwight sneered as he approached Jim, “your days at this school are numbered. And that number is zero as soon as I include this trophy case malfeasance in my report to Michael.”

“Dwight, obviously I could not have been the one to put that in the case. I don’t have a key to open the case, so how could I get in?” Jim had in fact gotten one of the janitors, Phil, who went to school with Jim's brother to open the case for him. And to give him a copy of the keys (yes, keys) to Dwight’s office. For emergencies only, of course.

“Jim, I know it was you. You were the only one to take a picture of me in my suit.”

“That’s true, Dwight. But again, I don’t have a key to the case, and someone stole my cell phone last week. See, look. New phone,” Jim said as he pulled a cell phone out of his pocket. This was actually his old cell phone which no longer even turned on, but Dwight didn’t need to know that.

“Hmm. Okay, Jim. It seems I may have jumped to conclusions about the trophy case. But I will still be writing up your other misconduct from the last week.”

“Dwight, I would expect no less from you.”

“Thank you, Jim. I’m glad you are able to see that I am merely helping you grow in your career. I wish you luck in your next job, and know that you will be much more successful having learned your lesson.”

“I hope you’re right, Dwight. Good luck.”

It was 5:30. Jim had waited until he saw Dwight pull out of the parking lot before making his way to his office. Yes, Jim had a plan to mess with Dwight. As he walked into the office, he was surprised to see Pam. “Um, hi.”

Pam looked up, startled. “Hi. Oh my gosh, you scared me. What are you doing here?”

“I was going to ask you the same thing, Pam.”

“Um, I just waiting for Roy to finish up practice. They usually finish around six or so.”

“So…you wait here until he gets done?”

“Yeah. It’s not that bad. I have to stay until five anyway, so it’s only an extra hour. I get to make phone calls I have to make and play on the computer and stuff, so it’s not that bad.”

“Cool,” Jim said.

“What are you doing here so late?” Pam asked. “Did you have a good first day?”

“Yeah, my day was good. I think I have good classes and everything, good kids, so, yeah.”

“So…you heading out?”

“Um, yeah, pretty soon, I was just going to, um…” Jim stammered, pointing over his shoulder with his thumb in the direction of Dwight's office.

“Dwight locks his door, and he has three locks, you know?”

Jim grinned. “Yeah, I know. That’s why I got keys to all three locks.”

“You’re kidding! That’s great.”

“Yeah.”

“So, what are you going to do?”

“Actually, I was thinking I would have some fun with his speed dial.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. I thought I might change a few of them around to dial foreign countries.”

“Really? That’s great!” Pam was beaming up at him, and Jim couldn’t help but smile along with her. We just like, click, Jim thought, but then forced those thoughts from his mind.

“Yeah, I’m gonna go in, do you, want to, um, help?”

“Sure,” Pam said sweetly, getting up from behind the counter.

The two of them spent the next half hour programming Dwight’s phone and laughing away.

And they also unscrewed the wheels to his desk chair.

And hid one of his bobbleheads.

All in a day's work, Jim thought as he left the office.
End Notes:
I know they did the phone prank in a deleted scene from Gay Witch Hunt, but it’s better when it’s done to Dwight, I think. And it seems like a Jim idea.
Chapter 11: The First Week Comes to an End by ibraveheart
Author's Notes:
I decided to put another chapter up tonight, especially since this chapter kind of wraps up the last one. So enjoy.
September 12, 2005

Jim was happy about his first week. He felt he was actually capable of having his students like him, and he felt like he was getting through to them and teaching them that English was a real-life topic that could enrich their lives.

Dwight had been furious, obviously, and hilarious when he accused Jim of resetting his speed dial. And unscrewing the wheels to his desk chair. And hiding his bobblehead in a filing cabinet. But Jim assured him that obviously he couldn’t have done it since Dwight triple locked his door every time he stepped out. Jim next convinced Dwight that it must have been some sort of remote electronic attack on his phone and that his bobblehead could possibly be alive, and that Dwight should suspect everyone. Which of course led to Dwight standing just outside the principal’s office scowling at the entire school for two days.

Dwight actually did write up a report recommending Jim’s termination for Michael and arranged a meeting for the three of them before school on Wednesday. But two minutes into the meeting, Michael told Dwight to stop annoying him and his “friend Jim,” and laughed hysterically at Dwight when Dwight read out loud his list of accusations. When Michael finished laughing, he leaned back in his chair and said, “Jim, you and I, you know, we’re so alike.”

“Absolutely,” Jim said, struggling not to laugh out loud. He and Michael were nothing alike. Jim was just trying to figure out how Michael had managed to keep his job. Like, the first day of school, when Michael gave the afternoon announcements, Jim could not believe the things he said over the loudspeaker.

“Hello, students, my children, welcome back to high school. I’m sure you all spent your summer partying it up like me and are dreading being back here. Like me. But thanks for coming back. That’s what she said. Um…not…so…”

It continued on in much the same fashion, and finished with Michael attempting to quote Confucius. Except he did it in an offensive Asian accent, and said, “Man who stand on toilet is high on pot.”

Toby of course came to Michael and told him that his announcements were inappropriate, but Michael said, “You know what was inappropriate, Toby? You. As a husband. Since your wife divorced you. And I can see why.” That was, well, irrelevant was probably the nicest word to describe it.

The week was going pretty well, actually, until Friday when after the day was over Dwight approached Jim and lectured him on his inappropriate workplace attire when Jim was about to leave. “What are you talking about, Dwight?”

“Jim, as a teacher you have to dress for respect.”

Jim first of all had to restrain himself to keep from busting out laughing at Dwight for saying that, considering that Dwight was wearing a ridiculous looking mustard colored shirt and tie. “That is not how the saying goes, Dwight.”

“Well, it should be. Jim, when you show up to this school and stand up in front of your class, you are representing this school and all of its alumni.”

“Well, I’m pretty much just representing me. And I am an alumnus, by the way. And my clothes are fine.” Jim had been wearing khakis and a button up dress shirt to work every day, and he wore brown dress shoes. He certainly saw nothing wrong with his attire.

“Jim, bottom line, those rolled up sleeves have got to go.”

Ah, that’s what he’s mad about, Jim thought to himself. “Well, I wouldn’t normally have to roll them up, Dwight, but I think there may be something wrong with the central heating and cooling system. It’s like an oven in my room.”

“I see,” Dwight said. “I will personally inspect the furnace room to check for malfunctioning equipment. Thank you for bringing the problem to my attention. You did the right thing. In the meantime, please return your sleeves to the correct length.”

“Sure thing, buddy, as soon as I get a chance. Talk to you later.”

Why couldn’t Dwight just leave him alone? When he did things like that, Jim just had to do things like break in to his office, take his coffee mug (which had a picture of him and Michael on it on one side and the logo for Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff’s Deputies on the other- creepy) to the cafeteria, and put it in jello. And then put it back in his office for him to find the following Monday (although Dwight actually found it Saturday morning, since he for some reason worked on both Saturday and Sunday). And it also didn’t bother Jim at all when the maintenance crew yelled at Dwight for tampering with their equipment. Unfortunately, all of this delayed the beginning of his weekend. But Pam was captivated by the whole thing and was by his side throughout the process. Which made it actually not that bad at all. Actually, it kind of made it totally worth sticking around on a Friday afternoon. She had told him about Dwight’s reaction to the speed dial prank, which was basically to yell at the people on the other end that it was in fact, they, who had the wrong number. However that worked.

Jim didn’t really know what to do about Pam. Obviously, she was awesome, but she was also very unavailable and her boyfriend (who was huge) was his co-worker. So, obviously, nothing could happen. He was trying to stick to his plan, which was to become just an acquaintance to her, just a couple of co-workers who said good morning to each other and spoke politely if they saw each other outside of work. But he just felt drawn to her. Like a moth to a flame, he thought. She was just so different from every girl he had ever met before. So funny, and warm, and just…nice. Except to Dwight. Which was actually another plus. But she was even kind of nice to him, sometimes. Was there really another person on the planet who was so full of kindness that she could deal with the antics of not only Michael, but also his lackey, Dwight? Not to mention, Jim thought, the fact that she made him weak in the knees when he looked at her. Again, Jim forced those thoughts out of his mind, telling himself to get over this crush he had. But this one part of his brain kept telling him that this might be more than that.

“So…” Pam interrupted his thoughts as they walked back into Dwight’s office with his coffee mug. “You coming to the football game tonight?”

“Um, yeah, probably. First one and all. Home opener and all. Like Michael said on the announcements this afternoon, ‘gotta whip up on those snobby bastards.’ I can’t wait to see what Michael actually does at the game, considering this morning.”

Pam laughed at him and said, “Oh, my god. I know! I can’t believe he said that, and that he then followed it up with those announcements after questioning Toby’s loyalty to us by pointing out he went to Bishop O’Hara? The best!”

Jim smiled thinking about what Michael had said this morning to the team’s quarterback.

“So,” Michael said while putting his arm around the QB’s shoulders,” we gonna win tonight, because that is your number one priority at this school.”

The QB was a little freaked, but managed to answer, “Um, I hope so, Mr. Scott. They’re pretty good, so it will be hard, but in the end I think we’ll come out on top.”

Michael snorted and yelled, “That’s what she said!"


“Yeah,” Jim grinned, “Just another day at West Scranton. How bout you, you going tonight?”

“Yeah. I go to all the games.”

“Right, because of, um…”

“Yeah, Roy wants me there for support, so...”

“Yeah, Roy, sure. So are we going to have a good team this year?”

“Roy thinks so. I don’t know, he’s been talking about it a lot, but it’s kind of hard for me to follow, ya know?”

“Sure, I can imagine.” Jim really did not want to hear about Roy right now. “Well, I’m going to take off, I think.”

“Oh. Yeah,” Pam said, “maybe I’ll see you at the game?”

“Yeah, maybe,” Jim answered, “Alright… bye, Pam. If I don’t see you, have a good weekend.”

“You, too. Bye, Jim.”

They gave each other a little wave as Jim walked away.
End Notes:
I know that not a whole lot actually happens here, but like I said at the beginning, this chapter is kind of wrapping up some loose ends from Jim's first week. And I’m really sorry if anyone by chance went to Bishop O’Hara and is offended. I know nothing about the school, and just assume that the public school calls the private school a bunch of snobs (Pisslop who cares a, right?).

Next: The First Football Game
Chapter 12: Friday Night Lights by ibraveheart
Author's Notes:
A/N: I don’t own The Office. Or Jim and Pam. Or Scranton and any of its surrounding high schools. Or Friday Night Lights, the book or the movie. But I own some stuff, and I’m keeping it.

Flashbacks are in italics.
September 12, 2005

Jim laid back in his bed and smiled at the ceiling. He had just had the best time ever at a football game. And he lived for football at Penn State and had some amazing times in Happy Valley, where Penn State played.

Jim met up with Mark at the gate. Mark had the night off from work and had agreed to come to the game with Jim. “Hey, man,” Jim greeted Mark.

“Hey. So don’t you feel just a little bit…”

“What?”

“Weird being back here.”

“Mark, I work here. It’s your school and your town. Show some support.”

“All right. You’re right. Go West!”

“There ya go. C’mon.”

Jim showed his faculty card to the guy at the gate and got in for free. Mark had to fork over the $8, which Mark claimed was “unfair” since he “made this school what it is today.” Obviously. Jim calmed him down by telling him he would buy him a coke.

When Jim left his seat and walked underneath the bleachers to the refreshment stand, that’s when he saw her. She was in jeans, a blue West Scranton t-shirt, and had a blue “W” for West Scranton painted on her face. Adorable, of course. Pam looked over, and when she noticed him, she smiled and waved at him. Jim walked over to the concession stand and said, “Excuse me, aren’t you the school’s secretary?”

“Who wants to know?” Pam asked, still smiling.

“Well, I just wanted to know if you had any inside information that I could perhaps profit from. See, I’ve got this bookie, and I have to make a splash tonight or bad things might happen.”

“I see. First, let me tell you how irresponsible it was to get into such a predicament…”

“Noted.”

“And next let me tell you that I cannot participate in illegal gambling on amateur sports in the state of Pennsylvania.”

“Geez, Pam. Such a spoilsport.”

“Sorry, Halpert, that’s just the way I was raised.”

“Well, I can forgive your one glaring deficiency if you’ll sit with me. Though,” Jim paused, “I’m not quite sure I’m decked out enough to sit with the likes of you,” Jim said, pointing at her face.

“Shut it,” Pam said, swatting his arm. “As a school employee, it’s your duty to do everything you can to support the team.”

“You’re right. I just didn’t know face painting was necessary.”

“It’s very necessary. At least as necessary as your letterman’s jacket.”

Jim blushed a bit. He was wondering about whether or not he should wear his jacket, but he was proud of his basketball days, and it was a good thing to do to support the team. “Okay, then, Beesly. Glad we got all of that cleared up. Next week, I’ll have face paint along with the jacket.”

“Good.”

The two of them stood there grinning at each other for a few seconds until Jim broke the silence. “You want to go sit down?”

“Sure.”

“Let me just get a coke.” Jim ordered his cokes and walked back toward the bleachers with Pam. “So, I’m sitting up there with my friend Mark,” Jim said, pointing him out, “if you want to, um…”

“Sure. Let’s go.”

Jim thought back to their conversations and how much…fun they were to be a part of. It was like they could turn a conversation about absolutely nothing into a truly fascinating discussion. Not something that’s easy to find, Jim thought.

By the third quarter, Jim was having the absolute best time talking with Pam and watching the game. Pam was really into the game, though Jim tried his best to ignore the reason why, and it was just infectious. She wasn’t loud in her cheering or anything, but she just got this look of excitement on her face when things went well. And things were going well. Scranton had a three touchdown lead midway through the third quarter. Mark, however, was feeling like the third wheel and got up to leave. “Okay, Jim,” he said, “Some of us have to work in the morning, so I’m going to get going.”

“Really?” Jim asked. “It’s like nine o’clock.”

“And I have to be at work at seven. Plus, I will need some time to come down from this huge victory before I can get to sleep.”

“Okay wise ass. See you later.”

“Bye, Jim. Bye, Pam, nice to meet you.”

“You, too, Mark, hope you don’t have a trip when you’re coming down.”

Jim turned to her and laughed. “Nice, Beesly.”

“Thank you, sir,” Pam said with a sort of bow.

Mark grinned and said, “Yeah, guess I walked in to that one. See you guys later.”


Jim’s smile shrunk just a bit. Mark had called later and teased him mercilessly for his ‘shameless flirting’ during the game. Jim tried to explain that Pam was spoken for, but Mark just said that’s what made it ‘shameless.’ Jim really just couldn’t help himself. He had known Pam for less than two weeks, but it felt like so much longer than that. She just instantly got him, and she was really the only friend he had made at West Scranton so far. Though Michael would certainly claim otherwise.

At the beginning of the fourth quarter, Jim turned to Pam and asked, “So as someone with an intimate knowledge of the team, can I ask you a question?”

“I already told you, Jim, I’m not helping you gamble.”

“Dang it, Pam. Quit being so selfish.”

“Jim, I think you have a problem, and the first step is admitting it.”

“You’re right, you’re right. Okay, can I ask a different question?”

Pam rolled her eyes and said, “Okay.”

“Is there a reason our cheerleaders are dressed entirely in pink when our colors are blue and white?”

Pam giggled. “I think that has something to do with the cheerleading coach.”

“Which one is that?” Jim asked.

“Kelly, the Indian girl down there. The only one in the whole stadium that is dressed in pink but not holding…oh, wait, she is holding pom poms. Well, she’s the only Indian girl on the field. See her?”

“You mean the one jumping up and down, even though we just failed on third down?”

“That’s her.”

“Yup. I see her.”

“Kelly’s…special.”

“No doubt there is something special going on there.” Jim turned to smile at Pam and saw her shiver a little bit. “You cold?” he asked.

“No, I’m okay.”

“You sure? It’s cooling off a bit.”

“Well, yeah, I’m a little cold, but it’s fine. It ‘s just this stupid Pennsylvania weather. I need to remember next time to bring a jacket.”

“Here, take mine,” Jim offered.

“No, I’m fine.”

“Seriously, take it. I’m starting to sweat a little.”

“Oh, well in that case, please let me borrow the sweaty, disgusting jacket.”

“Okay, the sweating thing was a lie. But I will feel like a total ass if you are shivering and I’m sitting here wearing a jacket. Pam, the other guys will look down on me, and more importantly, I will lose any shot with all the single ladies here.”

“You mean the ones down there?” Pam asked, pointing at the student section.

“Pam, that’s illegal. Geez. So not what I was talking about. I was thinking of Angela, actually.”

“Really?”

“Yup. The uptight, riding my case, snarling bible-thumper is exactly my type,” Jim deadpanned. But then he busted up laughing.

“Well, in that case, Jim, thank you so much for lending me your jacket. You are such a gentleman,” Pam said in a much louder voice than she normally would.

“Not a problem,” Jim said as he handed it to her.

“So,” Pam said, looking at the patches on the sleeves of the jacket, “seems like you were some kind of basketball star around here, huh?”

“Nah, not really. I mean I was okay, but, I definitely wouldn’t call myself a star.”

“You’re right. I actually can’t imagine you being good at, well, anything, so there’s no way you were a star.”

“Thanks, Pam, for the overwhelming vote of confidence. If you don’t mind, I’ll just take my jacket now and go home and cry myself to sleep.”

“Aww, poor baby,” Pam cooed, “did a bully make you feel bad?”

“Don’t want to talk about it,” Jim said as he turned toward the field.

“Good, I hate crybabies.”

Jim just smiled.

All too soon, the game was over. Pam stood up and clapped for the team and for Roy who gave a thumbs-up to the cheering fans. “Well, I’m going to go down to the field and wait for Roy. It was fun watching the game with you, Jim,” Pam said.

“Yeah, it was fun,” Jim agreed. “I’ll walk down with you. It’s on the way to my car.”

When they reached the bottom of the bleachers, Pam handed his jacket back to him. “Thanks for letting me borrow that,” she said, genuine appreciation in her tone.

“Not a problem. Have a good weekend, I guess.”

“Yeah, you, too. See you Monday. I’ll try to come up with some new ideas to torture Dwight.”

“Cool,” Jim said. “See you Monday.”

Maybe it wasn’t Jim’s dream ending, but it sure was good while it lasted.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading!
Chapter 13: The Faculty Meeting by ibraveheart
Author's Notes:
I realize that Michael could never hang on to a job as a Principal, but it’s fanfiction, so please suspend disbelief. Plus, suspending disbelief is necessary for all things Michael even on the show.
October 6, 2005- October 10, 2005

“Thank you all for coming,” Michael began. “It really means a lot to me that all of you would sacrifice your free time out of concern for our school, which is really more like our home than a school…”

“It’s our job. We have to come, Michael,” said Oscar.

“Anyway,” Michael continued, “It’s great to have all of you here. Well, almost all of you,” he said, glaring at Toby. “Is there something you wanted?”

“I work here, Michael. I have to come to the faculty meetings.”

I work here,” Michael said, trying to imitate Toby's voice, at least, as he heard it. “Okay, all of those who want Toby to leave, please raise your hands.”

Dwight raised his hand, and Andy’s shot up shortly after that, but everyone else just sat there.

“Fine,” Michael exhaled, “But Toby, if you so much as open your mouth…”

“Michael, maybe we should just begin the meeting,” Pam interrupted, wanting to save Toby from further humiliation.

“Yes, Pam. Great idea. Before Toby got us sidetracked, I was about to congratulate all of you on a great first month of classes. We’ve been getting great feedback from the students, parents, and the school board has done nothing but praise us.”

“Actually, Michael, I’ve gotten a lot of calls from parents and the school board has expressed some concerns about…”

“Thank you, Pam. Always good to get some input from our lower ranking workers.”

Pam frowned and Jim gave her a sympathetic look, and then rolled his eyes at Michael. Pam’s face picked up a little bit. Jim and Pam had become fast friends, and their friendship had grown deeper, beyond the superficial, just as fast. Jim obviously still felt conflicted about his feelings for Pam, trying to convince himself that what he felt was just the beginnings of a deep friendship, but really, he knew better.

“We’ve done a lot of good so far, but by far the best thing about the year so far is the football team. We’re unbeaten and have whipped some ass out there so far! And really, that’s all anyone around town actually cares about. That’s what keeps the ho’s hangin’ around, and that’s what’s important. See, the thing is…”

“Michael, this is a place of public learning,” Angela interrupted, “Though Roy Anderson has done an outstanding job leading our young men onto the field, that sport is barbaric and at most a secondary concern. It has, as you stated, attracted a bottom feeding class of women to the school, and encourages rowdy and inappropriate behavior. As a concerned citizen and Christian leader of the community…”

“Pipe down, small fry!” Michael said, grinning, looking around the room for approval. Of course there was none, although Pam was somewhat glad Michael had put a stop to Angela’s basically bashing her boyfriend’s job. “As I was saying, the football team has been doing really well lately. Which is why I excused Roy from this meeting so he could hold practice. See, that’s what being a great leader is about; it’s about letting the members of your team do their thang.” Michael paused to let the message sink in.

“Okay," Michael continued, "so morale is obviously high from the success on the field, but we need to take it to a new level. That’s what she said. This coming Monday is October 10, and I suggest a 10/10 party.”

Jim smiled to himself, remembering during teacher preparation week when Michael came in and suggested an 09/09 party; he suggested it of course during the 2 hours when he actually came in to work.

“Man, it’s so boring around here right now. You know what we need? A party this week. Tomorrow is September 9th, so let’s have an 09/09 party. That would make up for the 08/08 party I had last month that people were too busy to come to.”

“Michael, we do not have the budget for a party right now. People have work to do, and there are really more important things to do right now than that. As head of the English department…”

“Angela, I’ve always wondered what it’s like to be the last person to know when it starts raining. Can you tell me?”

Angela huffed and walked out of the room.

“So, back to my party…”

“Michael, Angela’s right,” Pam said. “It really isn’t in the budget right now.”

“Stupid school board wet blankets. Fine, maybe we’ll try again next month when our budget increases.”

“Michael the budget isn’t going to…”

“Good work, Pam.”



“So,” Michael said, continuing on about the 10/10 party, “what would really make this school rise up, I think, would be a 10/10 party this Monday. Since this school is a ten out of ten, it fits perfectly. We can have…”

“Michael,” Toby interrupted softly, “This is the same situation as last month. There isn’t room in the budget to throw school-wide parties. Remember last year when you tried the 04/04/04 party and Jan came in and…”

“Shut it, Toby. I warned you before about speaking during meetings. No one hear wants to hear your voice and I cannot stand it. Why you hate fun I have no idea. I hate so much about the way you choose to be. You are without doubt the most…”

“Hey, Michael?” Jim interrupted. Someone had to put an end to this, and it certainly wasn’t going to be Michael.

“Yes, Jimfloor?”

Great. Another nickname. “I was actually thinking about something today. October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month. That is kind of an important issue in the modern age, so I think that what would be great on Monday is if you made an educational announcement. You know, use your position and knowledge to really improve the lives of our students?”

“Jim, that is a great idea, my friend. The only problem I see is that the topic is kind of boring. Not really many opportunities for comedy there. So how bout instead we call October something else. Any ideas?”

“How about Music Appreciation Month?” asked Andy. “I could sing something over the loudspeaker. At Cornell, where I went to college, I sung in an a capella group.”

“Andy, music is important, but it doesn’t need a whole month. Plus, I have the perfect idea, anyway. Sexually Transmitted Disease Awareness Month. These things are plaguing our community people. And I’m sure our students are affected. I mean, if I was a guy in this school, I know I’d have probably caught something, so, yeah. That’s what we are going to do.”

“Michael, I think that the health teachers already…”

“Toby, I told you already to shut it. If you want the students of this school to become infected with STD’s, that’s your problem. I, on the other hand, am not going to stand by and do nothing. It’s my job as Principal of this school to keep my students safe. Like a father would. Or a best friend. After all, the last three letters of Principal spell Pal.”

Jim nodded and caught Pam’s eye at that. Pam nodded back in appreciation.

“So on Monday, I will make a series of announcements to teach our students about STD’s. Now that that’s settled, unless there is anything else…”

“Michael?”

“Yes, Dwight?”

“I would like to raise some issues to the attention of the faculty.”

“Fine. Please be fast. That’s what she said.”

“Fellow educators,” Dwight began, rising out of his chair, “I am speaking to you, not only as your superior…”

“You are not our superior,” Jim interrupted.

“I am Assistant Principal…”

“Assistant to the Principal. And that means nothing,” Jim said.

“Michael,” Dwight said, “can you please explain it to them?”

“It’s kind of made up,” Michael answered.

Dwight looked dejected, but continued on. “Fine. As I was saying, I have some concerns to express about a fellow educator who has caused a significant drop in productivity and is threatening to tear down all that we have built with his cavalier teaching methods. The person I speak of is Jim Halpert. For the moment, I will leave his teaching methods alone and just focus on his conduct outside the classroom. Jim has taken it upon himself to constantly interrupt my efforts to improve the school. First, he changed all of the numbers on my speed dial to dial foreign countries. I have nothing to say to such people, and those fourteen calls cost this school a great deal of money.”

“You made fourteen calls?” Pam asked. “How long did it take you to figure out something was up?”

“Pam, I have many enemies. I thought perhaps at first that it was a mistaken attempt to switch the phone lines and that the problem would correct itself. Next, Jim Halpert stole my key ring, which has the key to every room in the building. Only Michael, myself, and the janitors have such a privilege. Jim stole my ring and replaced it with this.” Dwight held up a child’s play set of keys that had three large plastic keys, colored red, blue, and yellow. “This theft led to my being unable to check the clogged toilet in the girl’s bathroom as quickly as I needed to. Thank you for reporting that Jim, though the problem had solved itself by the time I arrived.”

Jim smiled, remembering the shrieks and the reports to Michael about Dwight barging into the girl’s bathroom in his biohazard protection suit.

“Jim then tampered with my personal files and put in ridiculous fake student files for students such as A. Hitler, N. Bonaparte, and I. Terrible. I know that was you Jim," Dwight said, turning to glare at Jim. Jim gave a look of shock, like he could not believe the accusation. "And Jim also falsified a department of health investigation on his first day. And forged Olympic championships. As such, I recommend that Jim Halpert be terminated…”

“Dwight,” Michael interrupted, “that’s enough. Jim, do you have anything to say?”

Jim squinted as if in concentration, but only said, “Nope.”

“Okay, meeting adjourned,” Michael said.

When the following Monday rolled around (10/10), Jim walked in to the main office to talk with Pam. As usual, she was there playing on her computer. “Hey, Pam.”

“Hey, Jim,” she smiled up at him.

“Um, is Dwight around? I had something important to talk to him about.”

“Really? And what important thing is that?”

“Well, I wanted to help him with his introduction for Michael this morning, you know, the introduction to the STD Awareness Announcements.”

“Right. Well, he’s in his office, so you can find him in there,” Pam said, trying to contain a smile.

“Okay, wish me luck.”

“Good luck.”

One minute later, Jim was talking to Dwight. “Dwight, I’m just saying, you know how Michael is always telling you how he is disappointed when you introduce him?”

“Yes,” Dwight said as he hung his head in shame.

“Well, I’m an English teacher, Dwight. Writing is my thing. I also took some speech writing courses in college; I know how to write an introduction.”

“Really?”

“Yes, Dwight, I do. It’s probably what I know best. When you get to the intercom, just take these note cards and read them out. It will bring the kids into a frenzy before Michael gets on and can bring it home.”

“Thank you, Jim. It’s about time you did something for the school.”

“My pleasure, Dwight.” Jim walked out the door, raising his eyebrows and winking at Pam on his way out. He could hear her giggles as he exited the office.

Immediately after the first period bell rand, the intercom came on over the loudspeakers. “Students and fellow educators, this is Dwight K. Schrute, Assistant Principal. I am here to introduce your leader Michael Scott, who will be speaking to you about Sexually Transmitted Disease Awareness. So I want everyone to get excited and spread the disease! Here’s Michael to help further STD’s…" Dwight turned to the second note card he had and finished, "awareness.”

Jim laughed to himself softly in his classroom as his class sat in confusion, then bust up laughing. Too easy, Jim thought.

“Dwight, what are you, ugh, sorry about Dwight my children. He’s just weird. I can't believe I let him discuss STD's. Not that he would ever even have the chance to catch one!” Michael laughed, as Dwight sulked out of the room. “Okay, Michael continued, “I am here to do some straight talking with you about STD’s. Well, not just straight talking, because I am accepting of all lifestyles. I mean, this is the age where a lot of people experiment, and I want to encourage that, so, as Nike says, ‘Just do it…’"

Michael paused, then continued, "Well, actually this day is about not just doing it. Doing it can be dangerous if you aren’t safe. There are lots of serious problems that can come from sex. To the guys out there, I walk down the halls, and I see what you see. There’s no doubt that it’s tempting, but you have to be safe. I know it’s hard out there. That’s what she said. Every year worldwide, it is estimated that over 400 million Americans become infested with an STD. That’s more than eat at McDonald’s. STDs are like a plague, sort of like Toby Flenderson. Ugh, Toby. There’s something that makes you want to forget all about sex. Kids, remember that. Toby is the ultimate STD protection,” Michael smiled- he was an improv genius.

“Guys, keep in mind that we have to wrap it up or an STD will snap it up. Girls, I don’t want you to go all virginal, but it might be a good idea to talk your parents into getting you on the pill so that you are protected from these dangerous diseases.” Michael paused to let his knowledge sink in. “Just remember kids,” Michael again pause to switch to his Asian accent, “Man who fish in other man’s well often catches crabs.” Michael then paused again, “Something to think about. Check for lumps. You guys have been great.”

The school sat in stunned silence.
End Notes:
I was tempted to have Michael tell an AIDS joke, but even Michael knows there is no such thing as an hilarious AIDS joke.

Next- Jim gets some disappointing news. Stay tuned!
Chapter 14: Some News by ibraveheart
October 11, 2005


Jim Halpert had been a teacher for about a month now. And he was tired. Not of his classes and the actual teaching. No, that part was great. What he was tired of was everything else. Michael. Dwight. Angela, who was like, the most demanding department head ever. Even Pam was a source of his exhaustion. Since the first week of school, Jim felt himself growing even closer to her. He had started having lunch with her a couple of times a week, and it was his favorite time of his work day. The two of them had now watched every one of West Scranton’s football victories together, and that was Jim’s favorite time of the whole week. Of course the worst part of the week was when she went down to see Roy at the end of the game. Last Friday, it had been Pam’s birthday and while the two of them were watching the game, Jim gave Pam a cupcake and had her blow out a little candle. The way her face lit up when she saw his surprise, well, it didn’t make her less endearing to him.

Jim made his way to the break room to get some coffee and go back over yesterday’s afternoon in his mind. After the announcements, which had been incredibly inappropriate (no surprise there), Michael wanted to have another faculty meeting to discuss the success of his educational program. Dwight enthusiastically agreed because he wanted to renew his motion to terminate Jim, since it was Jim that gave Dwight the introduction to read for Michael. Jim was in the office during Dwight’s pleas to Michael. As the two of them walked out the door, Pam got his attention.

“So, Jim?”

“Yeah?”

“You have any plans to get back at Dwight?”

“For what?”

“For trying to get you fired. Again.”

“Did you not hear what I had him read to the whole school, Pam? I think that was revenge enough.”

“But wasn’t that for yesterday’s attempt to get you fired?”

“Yeah. And?”

“Nothing. I guess I just didn’t figure you for the type to lie down and take it from the likes of Dwight.”

“Lie down and take it? Is that a challenge, Beesly?”

“And what if it is?”

“If it is, then I accept.”

“Good. Any ideas?”

“I have a couple I’ve been saving up. I guess I’ll just have to rush one of them in to production.”

“Okay, well keep me posted.”

“Wait, you issued this challenge, which means the least you can do is help me execute the plan.”

“Fine,” Pam said, rolling her eyes. But her smile betrayed her. “What kind of prank were you thinking?”

“Wait here.”

Jim walked back to his classroom and went to his desk. From there, he pulled out his electronic accomplice and walked back to the office.

When he got there, he laid it on Pam’s counter and said, “Do you know what this is?”

“Should I?”

“This is the key to embarrassing Dwight in today’s emergency faculty meeting.”

“So what are we going to do with it?”

“We are going to tape it under his chair, and then the magic happens.”

“And what does this thing do?”

“You’ll see.”

Pam watched the door to the meeting room as Jim duct taped the device under the chair where Dwight sat in the meetings. Directly to Michael’s right, since he was ‘Michael’s right hand man.’ Dwight’s words, not Michael’s.

When the meeting began that afternoon, Jim waited patiently for Michael to finish praising himself for his performance, reaping himself with praise such as ‘two thumbs up!’ and ‘best of the season!’ Michael then said, “Apparently, Dwight here has yet another complaint, and these meetings are about letting people express themselves, even Dwight, so I’m going to open the floor to him and hope he falls through it.”

“Thank you, Michael. As you remember, yesterday I recommended that we…”

That was when Jim grabbed the remote in his pocket and pushed the button. The unmistakable sound of a fart came from Dwight’s chair.

“Dwight!” yelled Michael. “That’s gross, man! Save it for the beet farm! Maybe you ought to lay off of those beets if this is what they lead to.”

“Fact: beets do not cause flatulence. And Michael, that was not me,” Dwight said.

“Dwight, first of all, whoever denied it supplied it. Secondly of all, it was definitely you.”

“Michael, as a Schrute, I have a perfect gastrointestinal system, so I never have the need to…”

Jim pushed the button again, and again the sound of an obnoxious fart came from Dwight’s chair.

“Seriously, man! Leave! Leave now! No one wants to deal with that!” Michael screamed.

“Michael…”

“If you don’t leave now, I am going to fire you! Come back when you have your issues taken care of.”

Dwight got up and left.

“Now that the freak show is gone, does anyone else have anything to discuss?” Michael asked.

No one answered, so Michael said, “Okay, meeting adjourned. Get out there and inspire.”


Jim smiled at the memory. Maybe his job wasn’t that bad. He loved teaching after all, and something about being back in this building torturing Dwight, well, it just made him feel like he was where he was supposed to be.

After a good day of classes (Jim was teaching The Catcher in the Rye, which he loved), Jim walked in to the office to say good bye to everyone before he left. Well, there was really just one person he cared about saying good bye to. Plus, since she would be stuck until Roy left, he knew that this was one of the best times to talk to her. “So,” Jim said as he leaned on the Pam’ counter, “good day today?”

“Let’s see,” she said, “I got about fifty calls from parents complaining about what Michael said over the intercom yesterday, which was your idea, by the way…”

“Whoa! Michael saying that stuff was not my idea. I suggested Cyber Security Awareness, not sex ed by the perpetually confused. I wanted to address serious issues. Michael wanted an excuse to hear himself talk about sex. What happened is definitely not my fault.”

“Well, it was your idea that he instruct the students, and you should have realized that he would take it to an inappropriate level, so suck on that, Halpert.”

“Ouch. Well, then, my apologies. Next time, I’ll let Michael come up with his own ideas.”

“Please be sure that you do.” The two were grinning at each other. Jim loved talking to her more than anything in his life right now, which he realized was maybe just a little pathetic since he had only known her for a month.

“Um, Jim, something excited happened to me last week.”

“Really?” Jim was curious.

“Yeah, um, remember how Friday was my birthday?”

“Was it? I think I may have celebrated someone’s birthday on Friday… you sure that was you?”

“Yeah, dork, it was.”

“Ouch. Yeah, I remember.”

“So anyway, after the football game, Roy took me home and we were just watching a movie or whatever, and he said, ‘do you want your present?’ which surprised me because he had already given me a sweater that morning.”

“Was that the new one you wore to work that day?”

“Um…yeah. Good memory. Anyway, I said ‘sure’ and he said ‘okay’ and then he got down on a knee and proposed to me. I’m getting married this summer!”

Jim felt his chest tighten up, and he thought he might be sick. Did it all of sudden get warm in here? He looked down, and for the first time, noticed the ring on her left ring finger. He couldn’t believe he hadn’t noticed that this week. Usually, he noticed everything about her. “Really?” he managed to croak out.

“Yeah, I’m pretty excited. We’ve been together for, um, six years now, and I always wanted to get married, and after I said yes he said ‘this will make you happy?’ and I said ‘yeah.’ I just wasn’t sure if it would happen, ya know? I feel like we’ve been saving money forever, but now we really are going to get married.”

“Um,” Jim still felt sick. “Congratulations.”

“Thanks.”

“Um, wow, yeah, congratulations. Um, I think I need to get going. I’m having dinner with my brother tonight, so…”

“Yeah, sure. I understand. Have fun.”

“Yeah, thanks. See you later.”

“Bye, Jim.”

Jim walked out the door and walked to a spot where Pam wouldn’t be able to see him and leaned against the wall and rubbed his hand over his face. Of course you’re nothing more than a work friend to her, idiot. She’s been with the guy for six years and has known you for like a month. Some days, Jim thought, it would be better to just stay in bed.
End Notes:
Hope everyone liked the prank in this chapter.

Up next- Jim thinks back on November and December
Chapter 15: Ready to go back? by ibraveheart
Author's Notes:
This is the day before school begins after winter break. Jim thinks about the last couple of months. Bits of this chapter obviously come from the series.
January 4, 2006

Jim was laying on his couch, thinking, and dreading going back to work tomorrow. Angela had called him twice today to complain about not having his lesson plans for the next month. Jim actually didn’t really know what he was going to do yet on the first day back. All he really knew is that when he was in high school, he hated teachers that on the first day back from vacation jumped right back in and made kids do tons of work. He decided he forgave them if they had a department head like Angela- it was difficult to fight what she wanted. Jim figured he would just try to engage the class in a discussion about what they did on Christmas break. Jim cared about his students and wanted to know about their lives, so he figured he could relate their break to English somehow.

As he so often did these days, Jim began to reminisce about his life. The last two months had been exhausting, but he had also enjoyed them tremendously. Kevin had asked him to help him coach the basketball team this year, though it wasn’t something Jim really liked; no, he absolutely loved it. He forgot about what it was like to be part of a team like that. He had played intramurals and pick-up games at Penn State, but had forgotten what it was like to put in work together and truly be a team that was fighting towards the same goal. And West Scranton was having its best basketball season since he had been in school. The football team had won its region, but fell in a close game in the second round of the playoffs. Which disappointed Jim for two reasons. First, he was upset that his school lost. He was disappointed more, however, that it meant an end to his Friday nights with Pam. It meant that he would have to be satisfied seeing her only during the work day, which was not nearly enough for him. He was starting to fall for her. Hard. Every day, he found some other endearing quality about her, and it was becoming more and more difficult to remember that she was getting married in a few months. Like the time he came in and saw her sketching at her desk.

“Hey, Pam.”

Pam jumped up in her seat. “Jeez, you scared me.”

“Sorry. Whatcha working on?”

“Oh, it’s nothing. I just draw sometimes when I get bored.”

“Can I see it?”

“Um…I don’t…yeah, I guess, if you want. It’s not that good or anything…”

“I’ll be the judge of that,” Jim said as he took the paper away from her. Jim looked at the drawing and saw what Pam had been working on. It was a drawing of Dwight’s coffee mug encased in Jello. Jim smiled at the memory. The drawing was perfect. “Wow. Pam, this is amazing.” Jim remembered that Pam had said she studied art at Marywood for a year until she quit school, but he had no idea she was so talented.

“Um,thanks.”

“Seriously, Pam, this is awesome. How’d you get to be so good at this?”

“Um, I dunno, “ Pam answered, starting to blush. “ I’ve always liked to draw, and I took all the classes they had in high school, and then in college, but…since then I haven’t really had time to, you know, work on my art as much.”

“Well, have you ever thought about maybe going to night school or something like that?”

“Not really. I just…it’s not really practical right now, ya know? I mean, Roy and I are going to get married soon, and we’ve been saving money for a while now and…night school is kind of expensive, and…well, it’s just a hobby, really.”

“Pam, this drawing is great. I really think you could make this more than a hobby. I mean…you’re too talented to be… stuck here behind this desk.” Jim paused for a second and then finished, “ You’ve gotta take a chance on something, ya know?”

“That’s nice of you to say, but I’m really fine with where I am, Jim. I’m happy here with Roy. Things are…fine. So there’s really no need to spend money on something that won’t lead to anything.”

Jim decided it was time to drop it. “Alright, sorry. Just trying to be helpful, I guess. You really are good at it.”

“Thanks. I know you didn’t mean anything by it. But, it’s just a hobby. I like it here. I mean, where else can I watch forty year old men make idiots of themselves?”

“True.”


Jim smiled at this memory, getting to see her artwork. She just really had no idea how amazing she really was, and it did bother him to see her sitting behind that desk when he knew she could be more, but was it really his place to tell her that? That should really be Roy’s job, Jim thought, before trying to push Roy out of his mind. That was not the person Jim wanted to be thinking about on the last day of his vacation. Pam’s art was amazing, though. Yet another reason to love her. He spent a pretty good chunk of his Christmas break thinking about her, what she was doing, and how much better his break would be if he got to share it with her. When Pam sent him a text message Christmas Day, he felt like he could walk on air, even though it only said ‘Merry Christmas!’ It was just so rare that he got to spend quality time with her. Which made times like the time in late November that much more precious to him.

It was the Wednesday after Thanksgiving. Jim had a good Thanksgiving, staying in town to spend the holiday with his family, including his older brother who drove in from Philadelphia with his daughter, Samantha, Jim’s five year old niece whom Jim loved playing with. That afternoon, Jim walked into the office to say good bye to Pam before he left. When she saw him, she started bouncing in her chair- it was obvious she was excited to see him. “What are you so happy about?” Jim asked, smiling at how cute she was.

“You will never believe what I found today.”

“What?”

“Okay, so you know how Michael went to meet with the school board today?”

“Mm-hmm.”

“Well, he called me to go into his desk and read some jokes to him so that he could, and I quote, ‘blow their socks off and put their panties in a wad.’”

“Wait…that doesn’t make sense.”

“Did you forget this was Michael?”

“Ah.”

“So anyway, I got out his favorite joke book…”

“He has more than one joke book in his desk?”

“Again, you forget this is Michael we’re talking about.”

“Right.”

“So I read one of the jokes to him, and when I was putting the book back, I found this.” Pam put a small leather bound book on the counter that said ‘Diary’ on the front.

“Wait…is this…”

“Michael’s diary.”

“Oh, good work, Pam. Did you read it?”

“At first I felt kind of weird about it, but then I remembered that he’s forty-four years old and has a diary. I just couldn’t help myself.”

As she finished, Roy walked in to see Jim leaning over on the counter and talking with Pam. “What’s going on?” Roy asked with a voice that suggested he wasn’t thrilled with what was going on. Jim leaned back off of Pam’s counter.

“Nothing,” Pam answered.

“You two sure look chummy,” Roy said, looking at Jim, then at Pam.

“Just talking about work stuff,” Pam answered.

“Well, it’s time to go, babe.”

“Um, I kind of need to work late tonight. Just paperwork and stuff since Michael’s gone today.”

“Pam, c’mon, I’m going to play poker with Darryl tonight. I really need to get going.”

“Well, why don’t you leave the car with me and get a ride with Darryl?”

Roy looked between Jim and Pam again and narrowed his eyes a little when he looked at Jim. “Sure,” he finally said, handing Pam the keys.

“Great. See you at home,” Pam said as Roy walked out the door. As soon as Roy was gone, Pam rolled her eyes.

“What was that?” Jim asked.

“Nothing. I just hate it when Roy gets jealous. He doesn’t really like it when I talk with other guys, even if we’re just friends.”

“Yeah…”

“Jim?”

“Yes?”

“We’re friends, right?” Pam asked shyly.

“Of course we are,” Jim answered, shocked that she would even ask.

“Good,” Pam smiled. “So, do you want to read this diary with me?”

“Well, we don’t have basketball practice today, so absolutely, I do.”

“Good.”

The two of them spent 2 hours reading and laughing at the inner workings of Michael’s mind. Some of it, mainly the chapter about Ryan Howard, the senior class president was pretty disturbing. “’September 20,’” Jim read, “’I’m so glad our school has a leader like Ryan to work beside me. It’s just not right for a guy to be that good-looking. His wavy brown hair and deep blue eyes…sometimes I could just get lost in them. He’s such a good friend.’ Wow. That is…creepy,” Jim finished.

“Yeah,” Pam said. “You wouldn’t believe how many times Michael has taken him out of class to come into his office. Ryan always looks terrified when he goes in, and he usually stays for at least 45 minutes.”

“Doesn’t Michael know he has to go to class?”

“Jim, it’s Michael. He believes that he is helping prepare Ryan for life. One time, Ryan came out of Michael’s office saying that he had a test next period, and Michael said, ‘Pssh. None of these tests even matter, Ryan. What is most important is that you be ready for life. And who better to advise a good-looking guy like you than a handsome guy like me? Now get back in here, hot stuff.’” Pam looked Jim right in the eye so he knew she was serious, “ I am not exaggerating.”

“Wow,” Jim said, “how does Michael get away with that kind of thing?”

“Well, if you were Ryan, would you want people to know about this? I mean, Michael doesn’t do anything really bad; he just doesn’t have a filter over what he says. He really is a nice guy.”

“Yeah.” Just then, Jim heard Pam’s stomach growl. “Whoa, Beesly! What’s going on in there?”

“Shut up,” Pam laughed. “Guess I’ve gotten a little hungry.”

“Well, you want something to eat?”

“Yeah, I probably should get going…”

“Nope. If you leave, you’ll miss me making my specialty.”

“Your specialty?”

“Yup.”

“Well, I guess I can’t turn that down.”

“See, I’ve got you curious.”

“Yeah, you do,” Pam smiled up at him. Jim tried to push down the thought that there was more behind her curiosity included more than just his ‘specialty.’

“Alright, Beesly, off to the cafeteria.”

The two walked to the cafeteria, where Jim snuck in and made two grilled cheese sandwiches and set them down on a table. “My famous grilled cheese sandwiches,” Jim said with a flourish.

“Ah. Should have expected your specialty would be something that anyone over the age of 9 can make.”

“Pam, first of all, the sarcasm is not appreciated. Second of all, no one, and I mean no one, makes grilled cheese like this. Don’t be so quick to judge, Pam.”

“Okay, sorry,” Pam said with another smile. Another shot to Jim’s heart. “Here goes nothing.” Pam took a bite, tilted her head back and forth as if contemplating the merits of the sandwich, and said, “Pretty good, Halpert. My compliments to the chef.”

“I try.”

“I can’t remember the last time someone made me dinner,” Pam said.

Jim just smiled, and stifled a laugh when the image of Roy in a chef’s hat popped into his head.
Soon the two were saying good-bye in the parking lot. “I guess I’ll see you in,” Jim checked his watch, “12 hours.”

“What are you going to do with your time off?” Pam asked.

“Travel. I’m going to find myself, Pam.”

“Right.”

Jim began to put an ear bud in his ear. He had downloaded some new songs to his Ipod during his planning period today.

“You have new music?”

“Yeah.”

Pam stuck her hand out.

“Sure,” Jim said, handing her his other ear bud.

A couple of minutes later, Jim said, “I better get going. See you tomorrow.”

“Yup. Hey, Jim?”

“Yeah?”

“Thanks for the dance.”

“Any time, Beesly,” Jim answered with a smile.


As the memory faded, Jim wasn’t sure he was ready to go back to school tomorrow. He had been back many times throughout the break for basketball games and practices, but she hadn’t been there. That was one thing he didn’t know if he could handle anymore. Seeing her again would be the best thing of the day, but when it was over, it would be the worst thing of the day, because then he would remember that she wasn’t his and would never be his. Jim’s last thought before he rolled over for a nap was, When did my life get so complicated?
End Notes:
Next chapter: Basketball homecoming.
Chapter 16: Basketball Homecoming by ibraveheart
January 17, 2006


Tonight was the homecoming basketball game against Scranton High School. The winner of the game would take control of the region and be the top seed in the Region tournament in three weeks. West Scranton had continued its great season after break, and people in the area were beginning to talk about the great job the coaching staff had done, especially the new assistant coach, Jim Halpert.

To build excitement for the game, Angela had agreed to help put on a pep rally during 8th period after much pleading from Michael. Angela was bothered that the kids would be missing ‘1/8th of their education’ that day, but decided that school spirit might also be a good thing. The plans were that the captains would give a little speech, the band would play, there would be a performance by the cheerleaders, and then Michael would say a few words before a faculty basketball game. Sides had been chosen earlier in the week with one team consisting of Michael, Jim, Bob Vance, West Scranton High School, Dwight, and Andy Bernard. The other team would be made up of Roy, Darryl Philbin, one of the janitors, Toby, Oscar, and Kevin. Jim was pretty excited for the game, if only to show off his game to one particular secretary. Jim walked into the office at lunchtime and leaned on Pam’s desk. “So,” he began, “will you be sticking around to watch the faculty basketball game today? I hear everyone is going to be there.”

“Really? Hmm. I was thinking about it, but if everyone is going, then I guess I’ll definitely have to make an appearance.”

“Good. Plus, you wouldn’t want to miss Michael and whatever he does during the pep rally, right?”

“Exactly. Jim, last year at one of the football pep rallies, Michael ran and tackled a freshman because he was wearing the other team’s colors.”

“Um…how does he still have a job, exactly?”

“Well, his punishment for that was that he wasn’t allowed to attend any more pep rallies. But he says that only applies to football, so he can attend today.”

“Seems logical. The punishment should fit the crime, right?”

“Yeah…he really shouldn’t be allowed at any events, but what are you going to do?”

“Right. Well, I guess I’ll see you there.” Just then Michael came out of his office.

“Jimbo! My main man! You ready to dominate today?”

“Um, sure, Michael. You know it’s just for fun, right?”

“Pssh. Fun. Jim, this is an intense competition! We are playing for pride! And there is nothing more valuable than that.”

“Right.”

“So get your game face on and get ready to go to the hole hard today. That’s what she said.”

Pam and Jim both rolled their eyes. “Pam?” Michael continued. “Are you going to be doing some cheers for us today?”

“No, Michael, I’m going to leave that to the actual cheerleaders, I think.”

“Can’t blame you for that. They are some fine lookin’…” Michael cut himself off at the looks of shock from Jim and Pam and continued, “some fine student-athletes. Their parents have got to be proud of all they accomplish in the classroom, and then they find time to cheer, which is a sport, you know?”

“Yup, it is,” Jim said.

“Okay,” Michael finished, “Jim, make sure you get good and stretched out before the game today. Don’t eat before you play, either. Rookie mistake.”

“Michael, I am a basketball coach. I know how to prepare for a game.”

“Right,” Michael said, “Just double-checking. Checking on the check. Just remember to feed me the ball, and I’ll bring it home.”

“Okay, Michael.” Michael turned to go back into his office, and Jim and Pam looked at each other and laughed.

“Wow,” Jim said, “this should be good. Alright, I’m gonna go. See you later, Pam.”

“Bye, Jim.”

At 2:30, all of the students piled into the gym for the pep rally. It began with speeches from the players, asking everyone to show up and be loud from the stands. Next came the band playing while the cheerleaders performed one of their routines. Then it was time for the game. But first, Michael got behind the podium that had been set up to make a speech. Angela had tried to dissuade Michael from speaking, citing his suspension, but Michael could not be dissuaded. When Toby had stepped in to try to enforce Michael’s suspension, Michael said, “Geez, Toby. The suspension was for football. And the suspension was ridiculous in the first place. I know you aren’t loyal to the school, having gone elsewhere, but the kid deserved what he got! You don’t come in to my house and cheer for the enemy! If I had my say, all of the traitors in this school would be gone, and you would be first! Why don’t you just go home? Who even told you to show up today?” As usual, Toby gave in and just walked away.

As Michael stepped up to the podium, Jim looked into the stands to look at Pam and nod and point at Michael. Jim had found her as soon as she sat down, as he sort of just sensed her walking into the gym. She had a seat in the second row, on the sideline near the baseline. Michael stepped up to the podium and began, “First off, let me thank our cheerleaders for a great job.” The students began to cheer. Michael continued, “I know, right? How amazing do they look in those outfits?” The gym went silent. “I mean…they look….they did a great job on their routine. Everyone, we are here because we want to support our basketball team. The game tonight is huge. The biggest in history. That’s what she said,” Michael laughed. No one else joined him. “Okay, so I am here to introduce the faculty basketball game. The first team is my team: Team Scott. I am the captain, and will joined by Andrew Bernard, Jim Halpert, Bob Vance, and the fifth guy, who is only playing because no one else would is Dwight Schrute. The other team, who has no chance at all, has Roy Anderson, Darryl Philbin, Kevin Malone, Oscar Martinez, which I don’t understand because Hispanics can’t play basketball, and Toby Flenderson. So clearly they have no chance. I mean Toby sucks at basketball like he sucks at everything else. Seriously, who would pick him for anything…”

“Michael?” Jim interrupted, stepping up behind Michael.

“Yeah?” Michael said over his shoulder.

“We really need to get the game going.”

“Oh, right. Well children, enjoy the show. That’s what she said.”

Jim was ready to go. Basketball was his thing, and he was ready to show what he could do. “Big English- listen up,” Andy said to Jim, “Just so you know, I’ve walked two marathons. Just keep it close and I’ll win it for us when the other team gets worn out.”

“Andy, it’s a fifteen minute game. I’m pretty sure no one will get worn out.”

“Whatever you say. Good luck out there, English.”

“Alright, Andy.”

In the early going, Team Scott was getting creamed. The other team used Kevin and Oscar on the outside, as both could hit jump shots, and put Roy and Darryl down low, and no one on Team Scott was big enough to keep them away from the basket. Toby pretty much stayed out of the way because Michael had insisted on guarding him and basically pushed him anytime Toby got near Michael. “Can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen, Toby!” Michael had yelled.

On offense, things weren’t much better for Team Scott. Michael had thrown the ball, not shot it, into the bleachers three times in the team’s first four possessions, claiming that he ‘usually made those shots’ and that ‘his depth perceptiveness must be off.’ Jim was able to make a couple of drives to the basket, and hit one three, but that was pretty much it for the team, besides one shot Dwight hit, after which Michael called him a ball hog.

The game was pretty much one sided about half way through, but then things got interesting. With 8 minutes left, Jim had the ball and was driving to the basket. As he jumped toward the rim, Roy jumped from the side and when he tried to block Jim’s shot, he basically punched Jim in the face. Jim went down hard, and Angela ran from the bleachers with the first aid kit to work on Jim’s bloody nose. Jim shook her away, as he looked around. His eyes went to Pam, who looked concerned. Jim mouthed, ‘It’s okay,’ and waited a minute for his nose to stop bleeding. When the game got back going, Jim took the game over. He really hadn’t felt his competitive juices flow since high school, but somehow, Roy was able to bring them back. Jim hit back to back threes right in Roy’s face, and then stole the ball from him and went down the court for a layup all within about 45 seconds. That brought Team Scott to within 3 points. The teams trades baskets until there were about two minutes left and Michael took a time out. In the huddle, Andy tried to tell Jim again that this was where he could take over, but Jim ignored him and said, “Get me the ball.”

Roy’s team now had a two point lead, and stretched it to four when Oscar hit a short jump shot, which made Michael say, “Are you kidding me? This isn’t baseball. Or boxing.” Jim took the ball up the court with about 90 seconds to play, with Roy guarding him closely. Jim had the ball at the top of the key, when Roy tried to slap the ball away. Jim backed up a step, then leaned into Roy with his shoulder. Roy went falling backwards, and Jim stepped behind the three point line and hit another three. Roy popped up and gave him a shove, saying, “What’s your problem, man?”

“Take it easy,” Jim answered.

“No- you take it easy,” Roy snapped back.

Roy brought the ball up the court with a one point lead and about a minute to go. Jim picked him up at half court and stayed close. Roy passed the ball over to Kevin, who pump faked. Kevin passed over to Oscar with about 30 seconds left. Oscar started to dribble the ball and Jim met his eyes. He saw Oscar’s eyes light up when he looked at Darryl and Jim took off to intercept the pass. Jim was able to intercept the pass and began to dribble up the floor with 20 seconds to go. Jim dribbled to his right, guarded by Roy, then stepped back and hit a jump shot with 8 seconds to play. Roy’s team was unable to score again, and Team Scott was the winner by a point.

Michael was kneeling at center court, screaming out lyrics to “We Are the Champions,” though he had the words wrong. Dwight tried to give Jim a chest bump, but Jim just walked by him. Some of the students in the crowd were giving a standing ovation, as it had obviously been a great game. Michael stepped up to the microphone and said, “Wow! What a great first annual faculty basketball game! I am going to give the MVP of the game to…yours truly!”

Jim was walking towards the door to the gym, as a few people from the front row congratulated him. When he got near the door, Jim saw Pam and Roy talking as Roy sat down next to her on the bleachers. Jim could also hear Michael claimed he scored 15 points, had 12 rebounds, and 8 assists while shutting down Toby. Jim was pretty sure Michael had 0 points, 0 rebounds, and 0 assists. And Toby ended up hitting 2 or 3 layups. As Jim walked by Roy and Pam, Jim smiled at Pam. When he passed them, he heard, “Hey, Halpert! C’mere a second.”

Jim froze, a little nervous that Roy wanted to talk to him. But he still turned around and said, “What’s up?”

“Nothing, really. Just wanted to say good game out there, man. You can really ball, right, Pam?”

Jim turned to her as she said, “Yeah, he’s pretty good.”

Jim smiled and said, “Thanks.”

“We’ll just have to be sure to get you on our side next time,” Roy added.

Me and Roy on the same team? That seems unlikely, Jim thought. “Yeah, maybe. We’ll have to see how it works out.”

“Sure. Well, Pam, you ready to go? I’m going to be sore tomorrow, I think.”

“Well, let’s get you into a tub,” Pam said.

“Let’s get you into a tub,” Roy said as the two walked off. Roy turned over his shoulder as he continued to walk away with Pam and said, “Halpert, good luck with the game tonight. We’ll be there rootin’ for ya.”

“Yeah, thanks, Roy,” Jim said dejectedly.

West Scranton won the game by 6 points that night, but all Jim could think about was what Pam had said to Roy.
Chapter 17: Black History Month by ibraveheart
Author's Notes:
I’m all around not sure about this chapter, but I let it sit for a long time before I finished it and changed how I was going to do it and I am incapable of doing better. So it’s done and here.

Oh, and I added 2 chapters today (so don't forget chapter 16) because I won't be able to add another for a couple of days probably.
February 28, 2006

Jim sometimes could not believe how quickly the year had gone by. There were only about 4 months of the school year left, and he couldn’t remember where the previous ones had gone. Things had slowed down for him in the last week or so, though, as basketball season had come to a disappointing end with a first round loss in the state playoffs. Still, it had been the best year for West Scranton since Jim led the team to the state quarterfinals as a senior. People around town were congratulating him for the team’s success, and even though Jim, self-deprecating as always, said it was the players that had gotten it done, he felt some pride well up inside him about his contributions to the team’s success.

Things with Pam were, unfortunately, he thought about the same. It was so weird because he was so grateful to have her friendship during the day that it made him almost physically sick to think about losing that, but at the same time, not having more left this little ache inside of him that just never seemed to go away. Even when he was coaching, he was conscious of her presence in the gym, and he would find his eyes being drawn to her. And sometimes when they were talking or messing around with Dwight, he would see her smile or look at him in this way that left him thinking, ‘Maybe.’

But Jim felt it best to focus on that as little as possible, because, Pam was, after all engaged to be married. He was at least thankful the wedding wouldn’t happen this summer, as was originally planned.

“Hey, Pam.”

“Oh, hey, Jim.”

“How are things in the control center, today?”

“Well, Michael is considering instituting what he likes to call ‘Movie Mondays,’ where he plays bits of a movie over the closed-circuit television every Monday afternoon from 2:30-3:00.”

“Seems like a good idea.”

“Yeah, it didn’t go over well with some people. Angela came running into Michael’s office within minutes of receiving the memo yelling that she did not approve of Movie Monday. I’m pretty sure Michael is scared of her sometimes.”

“That feeling is…well, it’s natural to be scared of her, Pam.”

Pam giggled. “I still can’t believe a guy like you can be scared of a 5’1” tall woman.”

“Pam! It’s not at all about her height. I know she couldn’t like, beat me up, but still…things that are short can be scary. I mean, have you never seen The Leprechaun?”

“You’re also scared of leprechauns?”

“Geez. Not all of them, just that one.”

“Okay. What about Chucky?”

“Chucky?”

“The doll. Did that scare you?”

“Um, kinda.”

“Hmm.”

“So anyway, what’ s new with you?”

“You mean since this morning?”

“Um, yeah, it’s a fast-paced world, Beesly.”

“I forget that sometimes around here. Well, nothing’s new, really. Um…I guess…well, Roy and I decided to put the wedding off for a little bit.”

“Oh.” Jim really had no idea what to say to this, considering he personally wanted to jump up and down. But Pam probably wouldn’t appreciate that, so instead he just said, “ Really?”

“Yeah, we um…well, we just aren’t sure we have enough money saved up yet, so…maybe we’ll get married next Christmas. Or maybe the next summer.”

“Haven’t you been saving money, like, for a while now?” Whoops, not the nicest thing to say, Jim thought to himself. But it didn’t seem to faze Pam.

“Um…yeah. We just…we just want to make sure that um, the timing is right, ya know?”

“Sure…yeah. Gotta make sure that everything is right before you make a decision like that, I guess.”

“Well, the decision is, uh, made…we just want to be sure we get started off on the right foot, I guess.”

“Right.” Jim just looked at Pam, trying to figure out what to say. In the end, he decided the conversation was over, as was typical when Roy came up. “Well, um, good luck with all of that, I guess, um, I’m gonna go get lunch since I was too lazy to pack mine today.”

“Okay. Bye.”

When Jim got back to his classroom after he went out for lunch, his computer desktop was changed to a picture of Chucky.


Today was February 28, the last day of February, and for that Jim was thankful. Michael had been giving daily announcements about Black History Month, and they were, well, insane. The end of today meant the end of the insane announcements. Well, it meant the end of the insane announcements about black people. Yesterday’s had been particularly inspiring, with Michael talking about how he ran into Tupac last week. Last week’s Chris Rock routine had also been pretty good. Maybe the best day was when Michael went through about 15 black jokes and explained why each was offensive. Pam thought that was the best announcement, but Jim was partial to the Tupac dedication.

Today, Michael had his grand finale video planned, which he would broadcast to the school over closed circuit television at the end of the day. Jim couldn’t wait. He and Pam had a bet on what Michael would do. Jim predicted Michael would read stories by Uncle Remus. Pam had predicted that Michael would read the Emancipation Proclamation.

It was the last class of the day, and there were about 5 minutes left. Jim no longer had the last period of the day off. Instead, his planning period was the period before last. Jim had to change since one of the teachers had gone on maternity leave. Jim was happy for his co-worker, but upset for himself. Jim had told the class he was done teaching for the day, so they could work on homework or talk. Basically, Jim was worn out. It had been a long day and an even longer month. So what would 5 minutes hurt? The class had basically gotten through everything Jim wanted to cover, anyway. Jim was checking his email when he heard someone say, “Mr. Halpert?”

“Hmm? Oh. Yes, Jennifer?” One of the girls in the front had gotten his attention.

“Do you…um…do you have a girlfriend?” Jennifer’s friends started giggling.

“Um…no, I’m single right now. No girlfriend.” Yeah, this wasn’t weird.

“Oh.” Jennifer let that sink in and then said, “What about Ms. Beesly?”

“Ms. Beesly?”

“Yeah, you know, the secretary.”

“Um, she’s engaged. We’re friends.”

“Oh. Okay. We thought you guys might be dating.”

“Um…no. She’s engaged to Roy Anderson- the football coach.”

“Oh. Really. I didn’t know that. We just…saw you guys talking and thought maybe, you know, that you two were together.”

“Nope. Just friends.”

“Okay. Sorry to bother you.”

“No problem,” Jim said. Jennifer turned around to talk to her friends, and the group continued giggling.
Jim all of a sudden got this really paranoid-like feeling. Was he that transparent that a group of 15 year old girls that saw him talking with Pam thought the two of them were together? Jim decided maybe he needed to tone things down a bit, out of respect for Pam and her engagement and out of necessity. He just felt like he couldn’t be around her without his feelings for her, which were definitely more than friendship, popping up. Whenever she laughed or came up with a great idea to prank Dwight…he just needed to start to back away from her. He loved her friendship, but it was too difficult to go on without more, and it wasn’t really the moral thing to do to pine over an engaged woman. Especially when it was apparently obvious to everyone what he felt.

“Attention, students and faculty,” the voice of Dwight K. Schrute came over the loudspeaker. “Please immediately cease what you are doing and please turn on your closed circuit television sets. It is time for the conclusion to Principal Scott’s month long series of announcements regarding Black History Month. I have personally videotaped this announcement, and I assure you it is not only educational, but inspiring as well. So without further ado, Michael Scott.” This oughta be good, Jim thought.

Soon, the image of Michael Scott dressed as Abraham Lincoln came on to the screen. “Hello, students. I am Abraham Lincoln. In the 18th century, I freed the slaves of America and the world. I did this with the Emancipation Proclamation. As such, I am the greatest white black man in history. Even better than Eminem. I am here to speak to you about black history, and from my position I know a great deal about this subject. I only wished I could have lived longer to tell people about these issues, but I was shot by James William Booth.” Jim’s class was already shaking their heads. “I have a great reputation for helping black people. For example, just before the Civil War, I told Robert E. Lee, that if you are a racist, I will attack you with the north. I single-handedly re-united the United States and amended the Constitution to outlaw slavery. Unfortunately, many did not and still do not follow my lead. People, prejudice still exists. I am a fan of diversity. I once said that a house divided against itself is in serious trouble. So the question is: where do we start rebuilding this house? The answer is that we start with the foundation. And our foundation should be trust and understanding and an ability to accept others. Let us build bridges into the 20th century and eliminate hatred and prejudice. Please keep these ideas in mind not only this month, but all year long so that we can build a better tomorrow full of exclusiveness rather than inclusiveness.”

The video continued running with Michael just sitting there for about 10 seconds. Then Michael said, “Dwight, turn the camera off. Turn it…give it to me.” Michael stood up and wrestled the camera away from Dwight and shut it off. Over the loudspeaker, everyone could hear Michael say, albeit muffled, as if he had his hand over the microphone, “Dammit Dwight! Why did you show that part? What is wrong with you?” Seconds later, Michael began speaking again at normal volume, “Hello, West Scranton, my Union army. I just wanted to wrap this month up by saying I hope you all have learned a few things and have taken what I have said to heart. It’s been a great month, but the battle rages on in the streets. Well, not just in the streets. Black people do live in other places…um, the fight continues in our schools and other places, too. The fight for equality. Which is good. It’s great. So have a good afternoon, and I would like each of you to spend 30 minutes tonight considering what you can do to take equality to the next level. Good night, everybody! You’ve been a great audience!”

Jim stood up and said, “Okay, everyone. Have a good day. See you tomorrow, when we will go over proper research techniques, and how important it is to fact check. Even though you can rise to a position like Principal without these abilities, you don’t want to look…well, it’s important to be accurate with what you say. See you tomorrow.”

Jim was pretty sure he owed Pam some French onion sun chips. Even though Michael hadn’t read the Emancipation Proclamation, he had mentioned it. And even pronounced it correctly. And a deal’s a deal.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading. I wasn't sure how the last 2 chapters actually went, so I would appreciate feedback on them if you have any.
Chapter 18: The Future by ibraveheart
Author's Notes:
I'm going to be busy for a while, I think, so I've posted most of the rest of this story today. Hope you enjoy it.

This chapter kind of sets up the rest of the story, I guess. Not really much Jim-Pam interaction, but important events occur.

Oh, the other dates in the story actually correspond to the days of the week on which they actually occurred. However, here, April 1 is a Monday. April 1 actually fell on a weekend in 2006, but I can’t have that for this story so I took the liberty of changing it. Suspend disbelief starting…now.
April 1, 2006

To Jim Halpert, the future was often a scary thought. He really didn’t like change a whole lot. He picked a major in college and went with it. It had been tough for him to even get up the courage to go to Penn State. He had considered just staying in Scranton or going to college closer to home. In the end, his parents had persuaded him that even though they would miss having him around, PSU was absolutely the best option for him. He hadn’t regretted his decision at all. But it didn’t stop him from being scared of change. When he finished school, where did he end up? Did he permanently move on from his hometown, going on to the bright lights of a big city like so many of his fellow graduates? Nope, he ended up exactly where he had been four years earlier: West Scranton High School.

But it seemed that now fate might just give him the chance to move on from Scranton. And now that he had that chance, he was torn about what to do. Scranton was his home. It always had been. It was a part of who he was. His family was here. His friends were here. And Pam was here. He really tried to ignore that part of the equation, but he couldn’t. He knew it was maybe a little pathetic to factor into his big decision the woman he loved considering she didn’t really love him back. But he couldn’t help it. She already influenced his life in other ways. He couldn’t bring himself to date anybody else because he was in love with her. He knew he needed to move on, and his friends and his sister had tried to set him up with people, but he just couldn’t do it. He had used the excuse of basketball season for a while, but now, well, now he didn’t have an excuse. But he still felt like he would be cheating or something. Which made him feel even more lame. So as much as he tried to factor Pam out of his important decision, he couldn’t do it.

Jim had been approached about three weeks ago by West Scranton’s school board representative, Jan Levinson, about a possible job opportunity. Apparently, she had gotten a call from the principal at Carroll High School in Philadelphia. The school’s long-time basketball coach was retiring, and someone would need to take over. And the school needed a new English teacher too, because they also had someone retiring from that position. The long and short of it was that Jim’s name had been mentioned in basketball circles, as people remembered him from his playing days and had seen how he had made a splash as an assistant in his first year. When the principal at Carroll did some research and found out that Jim also taught English, he figured he might try to kill two birds with one stone, especially when the “stone” was a young up-and-comer like Jim.

Jim had gone to interview at Carroll a couple of days after that, on a Friday, and found himself actually a little excited by the opportunity. He could teach English, still, AND be the head basketball coach. While at Penn State, he hadn’t even considered coaching, but he absolutely loved it and was thankful that Kevin gave him the chance to do it. The interview with Carroll’s principal obviously was a little different than the one with Michael. Actually, it was a lot different. He had asked Jim why he became a teacher, asked him to describe his teaching methods, and asked him how he liked teaching having gone almost a whole year now. Jim had great answers to all of his questions (he really thought he would like influencing young people and had some teachers of his own that made a difference in his life and he thought it would be cool to do the same; his goal was to get his students interested in the topic, so he used many different methods; and he loved teaching and the main reason for that was his students). The principal then asked about coaching, how Jim would handle being in charge instead of an assistant, what Jim would expect of his players, and what his goals would be as a coach. Jim had good answers to these questions as well (he was ready for a leadership role and had been a leader as a player and had ideas of his own he would like to implement; he would expect his players to give their best effort in the classroom, the community, and on the court; and his expectations were that his players would be good students and citizens and would win on the court). The principal finally asked if Jim was ready to live in a big city and leave home, having lived in Scranton his whole life and then gone back. Jim said he was and that Philadelphia really just offered so many more opportunities, especially in basketball as it was the “big time.” The principal told Jim it was very nice to meet him and that he would hear from the school soon.

Almost two weeks later, Jim was offered the job. He told the principal he would like some time to think it over and make sure it was the right decision for him before he took the opportunity. The principal agreed and told Jim they would appreciate a prompt response, as they would like to fill the openings quickly. So for 10 days now, Jim had thought of nothing but this job in Philadelphia. Well, almost nothing.

Today was April 1. The national holiday of pranksters. Dwight had been trying for about 2 weeks to convince Michael to install metal detectors to protect against “juvenile practical jokes” with April 1st in the near future. Michael was unreceptive. Today being April Fools’ Day, Dwight was extremely suspicious of Jim, and pretty much just stared at him whenever he was near. And Dwight had sort of stationed himself near Jim’s classroom for much of the day. Dwight probably thought Jim couldn’t see him staring at him as he taught. That sort of made teaching a little difficult and was sort of creepy. Really creepy. Good thing he had the class working on their group projects today.

What Dwight didn’t know was that his actions played right into Jim’s hands. Jim had enlisted an accomplice for this day, knowing that Dwight would be especially attentive to his actions.

“Hey, Pam,” Jim said, leaning on her counter.

“Hey, Jim,” Pam smiled up at him. Jim had sort of decided to ignore Pam a little bit more since the girls in one of his classes mentioned the two of them, but that had been something of an exercise in futility.

“So,” Jim said, “Monday is April 1st.”

“Yeah, I can’t believe how quickly this year is going by.”

“Me neither. But you know what else that date means?”

“April 1st? Hmm…oh! It’s April Fool’s Day.”

Jim grinned at her. “Yeah, it is.”

“Well, I know to someone like you that fact doesn’t have any particular significance. Since every day is sort of like April 1st to you.”

“Touche. But obviously, something has to be done. And I think Dwight may be especially likely to keep an eye on me. Especially since Michael is going to be gone that day.”

“Right.” Michael had called in sick and had already said he thought there was ‘no chance’ he would be back on Monday. Pam had told Jim earlier that morning that she knew he was actually not sick, but had gone off to Magic Camp.

“So I think I’m going to need some help with what I have in mind. Know anyone up to the task?”

“Hmm…no one comes to mind. Good help is hard to find, you know.”

“That it is. There aren’t any secretaries that could help me out?”

“Maybe.”

“Good. Okay, here’s what I have planned…”

Jim smiled. There were only about 15 minutes left in the day, so his plan would soon be set into action.

“Have you ever seen the movie Scream?”

“Yes…”

“Okay. Remember how the guy on the phone has that really creepy voice?”

“Yes…”

“Okay. So with Michael gone, Dwight will be the one doing the afternoon announcements. I figured perhaps Dwight could have a…similar voice when he makes the announcements.”

Pam started giggling. “Oh, my gosh, Jim, that would be hilarious. How are you going to do that?”

“Actually, Beesly, you are going to be the one to do it.” Jim reached into his messenger bag and pulled out a voice modifier. “All you need to do is put this into the intercom system shortly before he makes the announcements. I’ll come in early on Monday and show you how.”

“Are you sure you know how to do that?”

“Yeah, it’s easy. One of my friends works at an electronics store and he showed me how to do it. It’s pretty simple.”

“Okay then. See you Monday, bright and early.”

“Yup. Have a good weekend, Pam.”

“You, too.”


Jim looked up at the clock: 8 minutes to go. He looked out into the hallway and saw Dwight still staring at him. Jim waved and yelled out, “Hi, Dwight!” The class looked up at Jim, and then looked into the hallway to see Dwight. Dwight’s face went white with being caught. He obviously thought that Jim didn’t notice him. Dwight contorted his face in anger and turned away, walking toward the main office. Good, Jim thought, time to get ready for the announcements.

Ding! An IM popped up on his computer screen.

Artista17: Mission accomplished. Microphone has been modified to your specifications. :)
Balla11: Excellent. Now we play the waiting game.
Artista17: Oh! Here comes Dwight! TTYL.
Balla11: 10-4.

5 minutes later, Dwight’s voice filled the loudspeaker. Well, it wasn’t exactly Dwight’s voice but the modified voice of the killer from Scream. “Hello my students. This is Dwight K. Schrute, Acting Principal.” Dwight’s voice was then kind of muffled but still audible. “What? Pam, when Michael is gone I am Principal of this school. Know that I am going to write you up for insubordination.” Dwight’s voice then returned to ‘normal.’ “ Sorry for the interruption, students. Some people at this school need to learn their place or they will be very sorry.” Dwight laughed after that last sentence, only it came across the loudspeaker as something of an evil cackle. Which Jim thought probably wasn’t too far from the truth. “There aren’t any announcements of any importance today. Prom is coming up. Talk to someone other than me about that. I have no time for silly affairs like that. I want to thank the students today for not stooping to childish jokes on this day. I have a feeling a certain faculty member wanted to try something, but I kept my eye on him. All day. So he couldn’t accomplish his mission. When I am on my game, nothing can stand in my way!” Another laugh. Jim couldn’t contain his own laughter by this point. And his students were also laughing. “That is all for today. Be safe tonight, children. You never know what is lurking around dark corners.”

In the two minutes before the bell rang, Jim stood up and said, “I would like to go on record as saying that I was not involved in the recent microphone malfunction. Off the record, it turned out better than I thought it would. See you tomorrow.”

For a day that started with Jim thinking about what his future might bring, he certainly was content with his present, and that’s what he thought about for the rest of the day.
Chapter 19: Drug Bust by ibraveheart
Author's Notes:
English teachers are not more likely to smoke marijuana.
April 14, 2006

Today was turning out to be one of the weirdest days of Jim Halpert’s life. Last night, Dwight had found a joint in the faculty parking lot. Dwight said that meant one of two things: 1) a teacher was responsible or 2) a student was responsible and had a faculty member as a dealer. Thus, Dwight came into work in his volunteer sheriff’s deputy uniform and began questioning teachers, beginning with Jim. “Jim, if Michael had taken my advice and installed metal detectors at the school entrances, we would not have this problem right now.”

“Oh, so metal detectors, which detect metal coming into the school entrance would have prevented marijuana from coming into the parking lot how exactly?”

“How do you know it was marijuana, Jim? Is there something you want to tell me?”

“First, you told me it was marijuana when I came in. And again over the announcements this morning. And actually there is something I want to tell you.”

“Please continue, Jim. Don’t be afraid.” At the end of speaking, Dwight put a tape recorder on the desk and pushed record. “This is just for the record.”

“Whose record?”

“Mine. And Lackawanna county’s.”

“Okay. I would like a lawyer present and it is your duty to provide one,” Jim said, crossing his arms over his chest and leaning back in his chair.

“Jim, don’t be ridiculous.”

“I’m not being ridiculous. I am asserting my constitutional rights.”

“Constitutions are made to be broken, Jim. What do you have to tell me?”

“Okay, Dwight. I’ll talk, but I reserve the right to remain silent.”

“Obviously, Jim. I told you that when you came in here.”

“Okay,” Jim took a deep breath. “Dwight?”

“Yes, Jim?”

“Your badge is crooked. Wow. Didn’t think I’d be able to get that out.”

“Dammit, Jim! This is serious business.”

“Serious volunteer business?”

“Jim, this is my job…”

“Volunteer job.”

“And part of that job is to find out who is smoking and/or supplying marijuana to our students. And I suspect you. You fit the profile of a marijuana smoker to a T. One, you are and always have been a slacker. Two, you are an English teacher and get off on reading things written by men who lived hundreds of years ago. Three…”

“Wait a second, Dwight. Are you suggesting that all English teachers smoke marijuana? Even Angela?”

“No…I am suggesting that you smoke marijuana, Jim.”

“Okay. Well, I don’t and have work to do so I would appreciate you letting me get to that.”

“Jim, I am not even close to finish my interrogation.”

“Your volunteer interrogation?”

“Jim, tell me why you brought drugs to school.”

“Okay.”

“Good.”

“I’ve been having headaches lately. And I thought the drugs would help. And they have.”

“Ah ha! I knew it was you! Jim, by the authority vested in me by Lackawanna County, I hereby place you under arrest.”

“For what?”

“For possession of illegal drugs.”

“Is Advil illegal?”

“What Advil?”

“The Advil I brought in to help with my headaches. I googled what drug would help my symptoms and found a drug called Advil. Gotta tell ya, Dwight, I didn’t think it was illegal. I mean, I bought it at the grocery store, so…”

“Dammit Jim! Get out of here!”

“Is the volunteer interrogation over?”

“It is NOT a volunteer interrogation!”

“So you are getting paid, then?”

“No, but…”

“So it is a volunteer thing?” Jim loved messing with Dwight.

“Yes. No…it’s still official as can be, Jim. I have been appointed to this task by the county to assist them in law enforcement.”

“Assist in a volunteer fashion.”

“Just go, Jim. Before I charge you with obstruction of justice.”

“Okay,” Jim stood up. “Good luck and Godspeed, Dwight.”

Jim left Dwight’s office to go find Pam and compare notes on what Dwight had said. He saw her sitting at her desk. “Pam, I will never get those minutes of my life back and it is very depressing.”

“That bad?”

“Actually, it was exactly what you would suspect. Dwight said I am a slacker and an English teacher and therefore more likely to smoke AND distribute marijuana.”

“What does being an English teacher have to do with smoking marijuana? Or distributing?”

“Ask Dwight. Apparently I ‘get off’ on reading old guys’ writing. Which is the same thing as doing drugs, apparently. How did your interview go?”

“Well, mostly Dwight just asked about you.”

“And what did you say?”

“I said that Jim never smokes marijuana. Except for that one time.”

“Pam!”

“I’m kidding. I covered for you.”

“Whoa! You didn’t ‘cover’ for me. I don’t do drugs. Just say no, Pam. That whole campaign really spoke to me.”

“Right. Well, anyway, that was about it. Dwight kept telling me he could protect me and I shouldn’t fear telling the truth and that you couldn’t get to me if he was around.”

“Nice.”

“Yep.”

“So what else you got going on? What’s that?” Jim pointed to a notebook Pam had out on her desk.

“Oh, that’s nothing, really.”

Jim smiled. “Okay, now I have to know what it is. Can I see it?”

“Um…I guess. Only if you promise not to laugh.”

“Okay, I promise. But only if it isn’t funny.”

“Jim!”

“Okay, I promise. Now gimme.”

Pam handed the notebook to Jim, and Jim discovered that it was actually a sketchbook full of pictures Pam had drawn. And they were awesome. Some of them were landscape type pictures. One was a picture of a beach somewhere with waves crashing onto the shore. Some were still-life pictures: pictures of a stapler, the phone, the intercom. And then one of them made Jim break his promise: a picture of Dwight in his biohazard suit.

“Jim! You promised!”

“Pam, how can I not laugh at this?” Jim asked showing her the picture.

“Oh, I forgot about that one,” Pam smiled.

“Pam…why would you think I would laugh? These are amazing!” Jim remembered when he saw the picture she drew of Dwight’s stapler and jello and how talented she was. But these were even better.

“Really?” Pam asked shyly, turning her eyes away.

“Yes, really. I knew you were a great artist, but some of these…Pam, I’ve seen things like this at museums.”

“Okay. Give them back.”

“What?”

“You’re making fun of me now.”

“No. What? Pam I am 100% serious here. You really are great at this.”

“Seriously?”

“Pam, look at me.” Pam looked up at Jim. “I wouldn’t lie to you about this. You really are talented. I really wish you would think about going to art school or something.”

“It’s just…I don’t think I would have time and…I’m still saving for my wedding and…the timing is just off.”

“Yeah, I guess. But…you’ve gotta take a chance sometime, right?”

Pam paused, contemplating what Jim had said. “Maybe you’re right. I’ll think about it.”

“Good. That’s all I ask.” Jim smiled at her and she smiled back. “Okay,” Jim said, standing up off of Pam’s desk. “I’ve gotta get to class. My lunch break is about over.”

“The lunch break where Dwight wasted most of it interrogating you?”

“That’s the one.”

“Well, have a good day.”

“You, too. I might make my way back here during last period.”

“Okay. See you then.”
Chapter 20: Prom by ibraveheart
Author's Notes:
Remember that I added multiple chapters again today starting with chapter 18.

Some of this may look familiar…
May 17, 2006

Jim had a lot on his mind today. First, he had accepted his job offer with Carroll High School. In the end, even though his home was in Scranton, he just couldn’t turn down an opportunity like the one that had been offered. Or so he told himself. Really, he just felt it was unhealthy to pine away over an engaged woman. If he could put some distance between them, he knew he would be able to move on. Or at least he hoped he would.

Tonight was also the West Scranton Prom. Jim had volunteered to chaperone the event. And Pam would be there, too. Apparently, she and Roy always went to these and Pam loved being able to relive their high school days. Having heard that, Jim could not be less excited about tonight, where he was sure he would have to watch Pam and Roy act like love-struck teenagers.

But Jim had volunteered and knew he had to go. At least I’ll get to see Pam in a dress, he thought. And there was another one of those thoughts that made him think he had made the right decision to go to Philadelphia. He was excited about the prospect of seeing an unavailable woman in a dress. What is wrong with me, he wondered.

Two hours later, Jim was in the ballroom of the Radisson hotel for the 2006 West Scranton Prom. The room was actually pretty nice, with a dance floor in the middle of tables set up on the outside and a DJ at the back of the room. And there she was, sitting and talking with Roy with a smile plastered on her face. She was wearing a periwinkle dress that allowed Jim to see more of her skin than he ever had and had her hair styled in looser curls than usual. She looked absolutely stunning. She was just glowing, and Jim was upset that she was that way because of Roy. But then she looked over at him, and her smile grew wider and her eyes actually brightened even more. Man, is she gorgeous. She grabbed Roy’s hand and the two of them walked over to Jim. “Hey, Jim,” Pam smiled at him.

“Hey, Pam,” Jim smiled. “Roy,” Jim said extending his hand to shake Roy’s.

“Hey, Halpert,” Roy replied.

“You look nice in your tux,” Pam said to Jim.

Jim blushed and said, “Thanks. You guys look nice, too.”

“Go to enough of these deals and you get the hang of it,” Roy answered. “I can’t even remember how many of these I’ve been to, now. Probably not too many more, though.”

Pam snapped her head to look at Roy. “Why not?”

“C’mon, Pam. When we get married we aren’t going to want to come to these anymore.”

“Why not? I love coming to prom with you.” Jim kind of wished she had kept that to herself, and Jim was trying to figure out how to escape this increasingly awkward situation.

“Pam, we’re going to be too old for this stuff soon. There’s no reason to keep coming to this kind of thing.”

“Oh,” Pam answered.

“Hey, Halpert, I didn’t get a chance to congratulate you on the basketball season. You guys did a great job,” Roy said, oblivious to Pam being upset.

“Yeah, thanks, man. The players made it happen, you know? I just tried to put them in a position to succeed…”

“Sure, you did. Halpert, I’m a coach, too. No need to be modest to me. The difference between a group that loses and a group that wins is the man in charge. And to me, that guy was you last year. Great job, man. Seriously.”

“Thanks. Well, I’m gonna go walk around a bit, say hi to people. You guys have fun.”

“Sure thing, man,” Roy said, shaking Jim’s hand again.

“Bye, Jim,” Pam whispered.

Jim had made the rounds, and a couple hours later was sitting and ‘chaperoning.’ He actually wasn’t sure what it was he was supposed to do. Unless someone got into fisticuffs, there was no way he was telling anyone what to do. “Hey.” Jim turned his head and saw Pam sit down next to him.

“Hey, Pam. How’s it goin’?”

“Um, it’s okay.”

“Where’s Roy?” Stupid question ,he thought, wanting to reach out and grab those words as soon as they left his mouth.

“Um, he was tired, so he went home, I guess. I’m going to get a ride home from Angela.”

“Oh. Okay. Well…good to have you here.”

Pam smiled at him. “Yeah, I just love these things.”

“Have you been every year since high school?”

“No. Not the first year. Roy didn’t get a job as Assistant Coach and as the shop teacher until a year after we graduated. But we’ve been every year since. It’s usually pretty nice to get dressed up and go out, but…anyway, you having fun?”

“Loads of fun. I’m going to miss everyone.”

“Well, you’ll see most of us next year, right?”

Oh, man, Jim thought, I guess now is as good a time to tell her as any…but she’s pretty upset I think so… Jim had not yet told Pam about his impending transfer. He was really not looking forward to it.

“Jim? You with me?”

“Yeah, sorry. I, um…”

“What is it?”

“Can we go outside for a couple of minutes?”

“Won’t that interfere with your chaperoning?”

“Pam…”

Pam saw the serious look on Jim’s face and said, “Sure.”

The two of them walked into the hallway to talk. Jim was very tempted to take Pam’s hand as they walked, but knew he couldn’t. “Jim, what’s up?”

“It’s not a big deal, really. I just…man, this is tough…”

“Jim, it’s me. You can tell me anything.”

Oh how I wish that were true, Jim thought. Okay, here goes. “A while ago Jan approached me and told me that a school in Philadelphia had contacted her about maybe considering me for a job there. I would be an English teacher still, but I would also get to be the head coach of the basketball team. Apparently, they had an English teacher and their basketball coach both retiring at the same time, and, well, I guess I could fill both needs. So I talked with them, and they offered me the job.”

“Wow. That’s um, that’s great. Have you decided yet, or…?”

“Yeah, I, um…I told them yes. I mean, it’s a great opportunity for me, you know? A real step up, and a challenge, and…I think it’s the best thing for me to do.”

“Sounds…great. Congratulations, Jim. You deserve it.”

“Yeah. Thanks, that means…that means a lot to me, Pam.”

“Well, it’s true.”

The two of them stood there for what seemed like minutes just staring at each other. Each had part of a smile on, but it wasn’t a full smile, and it was put there only to make the other feel better. Really, neither of them was happy about this new job in Philadelphia. Finally, Pam broke the silence. “Well, if you are really going to leave me to fend off Michael and Dwight all by myself, you at least owe me a dance.”

Jim smiled at her. “If you insist. And I am really am sorry. About the whole, leaving you out to dry thing, I mean,” Jim said, looking down at the floor.

“Let’s just forget that for now and have fun,” Pam said to him.

“Okay,” Jim said, looking back up at her and offering her his arm, which she took as the two walked back into the ballroom.

The two of them spent the better part of an hour dancing and laughing together. During the slow songs, Jim prayed that Pam could not feel his heart beating, seemingly out of his chest, as he held her. He had never been in such close proximity to her before, and it was slowly driving him crazy. Part of him felt guilty inhaling her scent and imagining she was his, but the other part of him (which won out) knew that this would be his last chance (also his only chance) to be close to her, so he just savored the moment. Their dancing ended after a slow song when Pam asked if Jim wanted to go for a little walk and take a break. Jim said sure.

The two of them walked outside toward the parking lot and ended up sitting on a bench with each other for a little while staring up at the starry night sky until Pam again broke the silence. “Whatcha thinking about over there?”

I’m thinking about how I’m in love with you and how much I will miss you. “Nothing really. Just…I think I’m going to miss it around here.”

“Aww, are you scared to leave, Dwight?”

Jim chuckled. “No, not that. I won’t miss that at all.”

“What then? Michael?”

Jim smiled again. “No, not Michael. I just…I’m going to miss you, Pam.”

“Oh,” Pam smiled at Jim, finally looking at him. “I’ll miss you, too, Jim.”

“Yeah…it’s just…” Jim looked at Pam, then, and it hit him again just how beautiful she was and how much he really did love her. “I’m in love with you, Pam.” Whoa! Where did that come from? Did I say that out loud?

Pam looked shocked and, quite frankly, terrified. “What? Jim…”

“Pam, I’m in love with you,” Jim said again. Now that it was out there, he wasn’t going to run from it, even though a small part of him wanted to.

“Jim…you’re not…you’re not making sense. You aren’t…I mean…”

“I know this isn’t the best timing and everything, and I know this might be weird to hear or whatever and we haven’t really known each other for all that long…but it’s true. I am, Pam. And I needed you to know. Once.”

“Well, I, um…I can’t…”

Jim looked down. “Yeah…”

Pam reached out and grabbed Jim’s arm. “Jim, you just…you have no idea what your friendship means to me and…”

“C’mon, Pam. Don’t do that. I don’t want to do that. I wanna be more than that.”

“I, um, I can’t. I’m really sorry if you misinterpreted things. It’s probably my fault.”

“Not your fault,” Jim said, standing up and wiping away a tear with his right arm, the one that Pam had been holding. He hoped Pam couldn’t see that in the dark. “I’m sorry I misinterpreted our, uh, friendship.” Jim started to walk away from her, ready to run home and just hide under his covers. Maybe hit the bottle.

“Jim, wait.”

“What?” Jim asked in a soft voice, turning back to face her.

“I really am sorry. You really do mean a lot to me. It’s just…I’ve been with Roy forever and…I just don’t think I can leave him.”

“It’s fine, Pam. I understand. I, um, I probably shouldn’t have said anything. Look, you won’t have to worry about me or anything. I’m moving to Philly, so...yeah.” Jim turned to walk away again.

“Jim?” Jim stopped again, but only half turned around this time.

“Yeah?”

“I really am going to miss you.”

Jim gave a very small, defeated smile and walked away from Pam again. As Jim walked away, Pam sat twisting her engagement ring around her finger.
End Notes:
Sorry for the cliffhanger of sorts. I'm tweaking the end of the story a bit and it should be up soon.
Chapter 21: Graduation by ibraveheart
May 27, 2006

Jim sat in the crowd and smiled, recognizing some of his students among those walking in their graduation today. He of course couldn’t help but think back to his own, 5 years ago, and the memory of better times. The last couple of weeks had been tough on him. He hadn’t realized how much a part of his life Pam had become, even though he really only saw her at school, until she was no longer a part of it. Jim was like a fish out of water, just struggling to get through the days. And this was his last day at West Scranton High School. After today, odds were that he would never come back, except possibly for high school reunions. Obviously, part of him was sad with the way things turned out, but the other part of him knew it was absolutely necessary that he leave. He just couldn’t stay and watch Pam and Roy live out their lives in domestic bliss. Not that Jim really thought that they would be anywhere close to anything that he personally would consider ‘bliss,’ but just the idea of Pam being legally tied to someone else forever, bound together in the sight of God, it was just too much.

Jim snapped out of his reverie and looked over the crowd, full of teary eyed parents and family friends, all watching their teenage sons and daughters and friends complete this chapter of their lives. Jim remembered his own graduation, thinking that although this chapter ended, he had another part of his life about to begin, with endless possibility. Back then, he never could have predicted the road his life would take. Especially this last year. He had given teaching a shot, and loved it. He was presented with the chance to coach, something he had never really considered, and he loved that, too. And there was one other new thing in his life that he also loved. Pam. And she is what he loved the most.

He had barely spoken with her over the last 3 weeks. They actually only had one encounter, a chance meeting in the parking lot that lasted all of 2 minutes.

It was the Thursday after Prom. Jim was walking to his car with his head down, absolutely spent from his day, as was now the case every day. When he looked up, he saw her, standing and waiting at Roy’s truck. She was looking right at him. Jim wanted to walk away from her, pretend he never saw her, but he knew it was impossible, that she had seen him see her. He walked to her about as slowly as he could, trying to not only muster up his courage and delay this for as long as possible, but also in the delusional hope that she might somehow disappear before he got to her.

“Hey,” he whispered to her.

“Hey,” she said back.

“How have you been?” he asked cautiously.

“Okay. How about you?”

“Okay, I guess.”

“You getting excited about the end of the year?”

“Yeah, sort of. I’ll be able to finally get rid of Dwight, so…”

“Definitely a bonus,” Pam said with the smallest of smiles.

“Well,” Jim started, knowing that she could see how unsure of himself he was, “I’m gonna get going, I think.”

“Oh. Yeah. Sure. I was just um…waiting to…leave, too. So…”

“Yeah. See ya round, I guess.”

“Sure. Bye, Jim.”


And that had been it. Part of Jim had hoped that Pam would confess her love to him before the year came to an end, but only the youthful part of him that believed in fate and destiny and soulmates actually believed that would happen. Jim wasn’t really sure he bought into stuff like that anymore. Because he just knew that Pam was the woman for him. He knew it like he knew the sun would rise and set. And even though it was difficult, he knew he had to come to terms with the fact that he and Pam were not actually meant to be. No matter how much he wanted them to be.

When Jim came out of his trance, he saw that the line of students going to get their diplomas from Michael was growing shorter. Jim even managed a laugh when Ryan came forward to get his diploma and Michael hugged him and lifted him off the ground. But then Jim remembered how Pam had told Jim about Michael and Ryan’s “relationship” and the smile disappeared from Jim’s face. Jim just wasn’t sure how he would get over Pam. She was his first love. Sure, he had girlfriends in high school, and he had always thought of Jenny Williams as his first love, but now he knew differently. Now, he knew what it was to love and he knew what it was to lose. He sure hoped time would heal his wounds.

Soon enough, the last of the students had received their diplomas. Jim was happy that, besides hugging Ryan, Michael had been on his best behavior and hadn’t done anything to tarnish the day. Michael announced the class of 2006, saying, “May your hats fly as high as your dreams!” and the students cheered threw their hats into the air. Michael beamed with pride and Jim smiled again, happy for Michael to have a proud moment.

For a while, Jim remained seated in the bleachers, watching the students hug each other and their families. It did his soul some good to see such happiness. Soon, however, everyone had left and Jim was alone. Well, almost alone.

Michael came up the bleachers and sat down next to Jim. “Jim, how ya doin’?”

“I’m good. Thanks, Michael. Good job today, by the way. You really were great up there.”

Michael again beamed with pride. “Thanks a lot, Jimbo. That really means a lot to me.”

There was a lull in the conversation for a while, as Jim really didn’t have anything to say right now. Not to Michael, not to anyone.

“You know,” Michael began, “I know you’ve only been here for a year, but we’re going to miss you around here. I wish there was something I could do to get you to stay.”

Jim smiled. Michael was sometimes so inappropriate, but sometimes could also be so innocent. He really was a great guy at heart, just misguided sometimes. “I know, Michael. And I appreciate the sentiment. I just really can’t turn down an opportunity like this, ya know? I mean, you obviously have moved on from different jobs, and…it’s just the best thing for me to do right now.”

“I guess you’re right,” Michael said. “But we will miss you. You just bring a certain…energy to everything. The students love you, and you did a great job with the basketball team this year. And who is going to fill in for you in the faculty bball game?”

Jim smiled and said, “I think that I will miss that. That game was fun.”

“Yeah,” Michael said, exhaling and looking into the clouds. “So, have you talked to Pam lately?”

“Pam?” Jim asked in surprise. “Um, no, not really. Why?”

“Just wondering. I know you guys are friends, and I figure she must be having a hard time with the break-up and all, and she really won’t talk to me about it, even though I offered her my shoulder to cry on. Seriously, Jim. I literally offered her my shoulder. And she still refused. So I figured she was talking to you and probably crying on your shoulder instead. Because why else would she turn down my offer, right?”

For a second, Jim had to remind himself to breathe. “When did…when did she and Roy…” Jim was having trouble speaking, too.

“The break-up? It was about a couple of weeks ago, I guess. She came in looking all depressed… actually she came in looking depressed for a week or so before that, too. But anyway, I asked her if she was having trouble on the home front, and then I noticed she wasn’t wearing her ring. I put 1 and 2 together, and there it was,” Michael paused for a moment. “You know, I miss the old Pam. She’s just so…down. She’s really not herself at all. She’s taking this really hard,” Michael smiled. “That’s what she said.”

“Wow,” Jim said, still not sure what to say. “I hope she’ll be all right.”

“Oh, I’m sure she’ll be fine. Women are fickle, ya know, Jim?”

“Yeah. Well, Michael, I’m gonna get going, I think. I’ve got a lot to do before the move next week. It was good talking to you. Keep in touch, okay?”

“Will do, Jim. I’m going to keep you on my email list and if I’m in Philly, I’ll be sure to hit you up.”

“Okay, Michael. Thanks for everything.” Jim stood up, and so did Michael. Jim offered his hand for a handshake, but Michael instead pulled him into a tight embrace. When Jim pulled back, Michael was tearing up.

“We’ll miss you, Jim.”

Jim began the trek to the parking lot to retrieve his car and began packing for his move. The year was officially over. It had been an interesting year, full of more surprises than he could count. But none of them were as big as the one waiting for him at his car.
Chapter 22: On To Philadelphia by ibraveheart
Author's Notes:
Now we find out the surprise waiting at Jim's car.
May 27, 2006

Jim looked towards his car and saw her leaning against it looking in the opposite direction. He froze. There she was. The woman who had filled his thoughts for most of the past year was here, and for the first time, she was available. Jim had to calm himself down. She’s probably just here to say goodbye, he told himself. Jim stayed rooted in his spot until, finally, she turned around. She looked almost surprised to see him, like she hadn’t expected him to show up and retrieve his own car. “Hi,” she finally said.

“Hey,” he answered back, looking at the ground to avoid her gaze. He had absolutely no idea how to act at this moment.

“How was the graduation?” Pam asked.

Without looking up, Jim answered, “It was really good, actually. Michael was really great today. Although he did give Ryan a hug that was questionable.”

Pam gave him a small smile. “Couldn’t have expected him to resist doing that.”

“Pam,” Jim looked at her. The suspense was too much to take. “What are you doing here?” he asked, looking back down at the ground when he finished.

Pam exhaled, also unsure of how to act. “I just…I needed to say good-bye to you. I needed us to be…on good terms before you left. Jim, you’ve been my best friend this year, and I just can’t stand the idea of us not being…good. Before you leave. Forever.”

“Pam, I will always care about you. I mean, I know things might be kind of…awkward? But, I…you’ve been my best friend, too, Pam. I’ll miss you. I know I told you that already, but…I really will. And of course we’re good. Just…not the same.”

“Jim, I…I broke up with Roy.”

“Yeah, I heard something about that,” Jim mumbled.

“I just…I realized that he and I weren’t right. We probably haven’t been right for a long time. I guess there were a lot of reasons to end it. The thing is, though…I didn’t care about those reasons until I met you.”

Jim’s gaze snapped up to look at her face and for the second time today, he could not remember how to breathe and wondered if he had ever actually known how to do so.

“Jim…I…I needed you to know that everything wasn’t…misinterpreted. I am so sorry for how I responded to you that night. I was just…confused. And scared. I had been with Roy for most of my life, really, and I didn’t know if I could just…leave him. But a couple of weeks ago, I just…woke up. I realized I wasn’t really in love with him anymore. And if you aren’t in love with someone, you can’t marry them, right?”

“Yeah, I suppose you can’t,” Jim answered.

“So, that’s that, I guess, and I just wanted you to know before you left. Jim, I…I think…I love you, too, Jim. And I needed you to know that. I wasn’t really…I don’t know when I fell in love with you, really, and I think I’ve been denying it for a while now, but, I know that I do. Love you, I mean,” Pam finished.

Jim stood speechless. What do you say when you get everything you have ever wanted?

Before too long, Pam spoke up. “Jim, can you please say something? I mean…it’s okay to say whatever you want. I would just really appreciate an answer of some sort.”

Jim looked at her, studying her face. He would do anything for her. “Can I kiss you?”

“Kiss me?”

“Yeah. Can I kiss you, Pam?”

“Yes,” Pam answered. “Please.”

Jim lowered his head to hers and kissed her, pulling her close to him. Her lips were warm and soft, just like he knew they would be. When her hands threaded through his hair, Jim groaned and pulled her closer to him. He never wanted to let her go. Kissing Pam had turned on the light of his soul, a light he had shut off about 3 weeks ago. Now, he felt more alive than ever, and he wanted to bottle this feeling and remember it, remember kissing Pam, the woman he knew was the love of his life for the first time.

After what felt like days, Pam pulled away, lowering her hands into his and smiling up at Jim. “I love you, Jim.”

“Pam, I love you, too. I love you so much. I just…I don’t know what I’m going to do in Philadelphia without you there.” Why his moving had picked this moment to enter his mind, he would never know, because it was the one storm cloud on his now sunny day.

“Yeah, about that…” Pam said slowly, “I’m not really into long distance relationships, Jim.”

“Wha…Pam…don’t…” Was she really going to pull the rug out from under him like this? No, she can’t

“Yeah. It’s just too much to deal with. So, if it’s okay, I think I’m going to go to Philadelphia too.”

“What?!”

“Well, a few weeks ago, around 6 weeks ago, I guess, I applied to the Art Institute of Philadelphia. I sent in some of my drawings and watercolors, and then a couple of weeks ago, I got a letter and they said yes. So…yeah. I’ve got money I’ve been saving up for a while that I was going to use for the…you know. And I’ll probably just go at night, but…yeah. I’m going to go up there and find a job and go to school. It’ll be good for me to finally, you know, take a chance on something,” Pam finished, looking at him and smiling brightly.

“Man. Pam, that is…awesome. I just can’t believe…I mean, this afternoon I was just…not really that excited about moving and now…now I can’t wait!”

“Me, neither! It’ll be a good chance for us to have a fresh start, I think. And I won’t have to worry about you all alone in a strange new town,” Pam teased him.

“I don’t know if I would have been able to make it without you, that’s for sure,” Jim answered truthfully.

“Me, neither,” Pam answered, pulling Jim down to kiss him again.

When they finally pulled apart again, Jim asked, “So, what do you think is in store for us in Philadelphia?”

Pam thought for a minute before answering. “I’m not sure really. But…I think…I think that’s okay.”

Jim smiled. “Yeah. I think so, too.”

And so ended what had been, to this point, the best school year of Jim Halpert’s life.
End Notes:
I thought this was going to be the last chapter, but all of a sudden while editing this, I got an idea for an epilogue of sorts. I'm going to mark it complete for now because I can't decide whether to write it or leave it at this, but I'll think about it and if I write an epilogue, it will probably be up soon.

Since this may be the last chapter of my first story, I would really appreciate any reviews. Thanks for reading.
Chapter 23: Epilogue by ibraveheart
Author's Notes:
First- Thanks for all of the reviews I got for the story. A couple requested the epilogue, so here it is. Sorry it took so long to get done- I hope you readers remember my little story.

Like I said last chapter, this idea just hit me all of a sudden and I decided to go with it since it wouldn’t get out of my head. I’m sort of torn because I feel like the story could stand without this chapter, but I also want to include it. So I don’t know, really, but I wrote it so I posted it. If you don’t like it, maybe pretend it doesn’t exist?
May 11, 2045

Jim was coming closer to what was honestly at this moment the last place he wanted to go. He turned to his wife who was riding in the seat next to him and said, “You know, one of the benefits of retirement is that I will get to spend less time at the school. And I’ve been working as hard as I can to get into that non-school mode, and right now…this is just wrecking all of that hard work. It’s crippling my plan.”

Jim had gotten to the point in his life that he was ready to retire and ride off into the sunset. It wasn’t an easy decision, because he truly loved his career, but at this point in his life, he was ready to move on. And his family agreed.

His wife of 38 years smiled over at him and replied, “I’m really sorry about that, but I really wanted to show everyone something at the school and what with the retirement and all, this might be one of my last chances to do it.”

Jim sighed and answered back, “Fine. But don’t expect me to be happy about it.”

“Suck it up, Halpert. It shouldn’t take too long. We’re almost there.”

Soon enough, Jim pulled into the familiar parking lot of Carroll High School. He got out of his car and walked over to the passenger side to help his wife out of the car. After all these years, he still felt the need to treat her like the goddess she was. She smiled and took his hand as she got out of the car thanking him. Jim had spent the earlier part of the evening at dinner with his family. It was sort of a pre-retirement celebration dinner and Jim had a blast. His favorite times were the ones he got to spend with his family, especially since they weren’t all together as often as they used to be.

As the couple walked away from their car, they were greeted by the rest of the family. “So,” Jim said, “what’s this thing you want to show everyone here?”

“It’s a surprise,” was the only answer he got back.

And boy was it a surprise. As Jim walked into the school’s cafeteria, he was greeted by a huge crowd that all yelled, “Surprise!” when he and his family entered the room. At the front of the room was a sign that said, “Congratulations!” Inside the room, Jim recognized so many familiar faces: both current and former colleagues, former students, the current principal, his assistant coaches, former players of his, a couple of old friends including his college roommate, Mark, and other old familiar faces. “What is all this?” Jim finally managed to ask.

“This is a pre-retirement party for you, Jim. It was all Mr. Henderson’s idea.” Mr. Henderson was the current principal at Carroll and the 4th principal since Jim had been there.

Mr. Henderson stepped forward and shook Jim’s hand. “Jim, we just wanted to do a little something to thank you for all the years you put in here. We’re going to miss you, but we wanted to thank you in our own little way.”

Jim really was in shock from seeing all these people here for him. “Wow, I really don’t know what to say except thanks, I guess. It really means a lot.”

“Well, you should thank your better half. She was really the one that got everyone here.”

“Wow,” was really all Jim could muster, as he was just so overwhelmed that all of these people were here for him.

“Everyone?” Mr. Henderson shouted, “Let’s go ahead and sit down so we can get started.” Everyone took a seat in one of the cafeteria chairs that were organized in rows facing the rear wall of the room, the one that had the large “Congratulations” sign on it, where there was also a podium and microphone set up.

Mr. Henderson got behind the mic when everyone was seated and began, “I would like to thank everyone for coming. I’m sure that everyone knows why we’re here- to show our appreciation for all that Jim Halpert has done for this school and for all of us. I met Jim about 6 years ago when I took over as principal, and I consider myself lucky to now call him a friend. He’s a special person and has been a truly exceptional teacher and coach at this school. His accomplishments are incredible- he’s been teacher of the year here 7 times in his now 39 years at the school. He’s been the school’s athletic director for the last 12 years now, and our program is the best it’s ever been in performance on the field, in the classroom, and in fundraising efforts. He’s been our head basketball coach for all of his 39 years here, and has brought the school four state titles. Everything Jim has touched has turned to gold. We all owe him a debt of gratitude for his dedication and the way he has inspired us to be our very best. Jim, on behalf of everyone here, thank you.” The crowd applauded the speech and Jim, and then Mr. Henderson concluded his speech, “Our next speaker is someone who has also been very special to this school and has special insight into Jim’s life. It gives me great pleasure to introduce one of our school’s former art teachers, Pam Halpert.”

Jim looked at Pam in surprise. She had no doubt grown in confidence since he first met her all those years ago, but public speaking still wasn’t really her thing. Even as a teacher, she really preferred one on one interaction with her students to group lectures. But Pam just squeezed his hand, the one she had been holding, before smiling at him and getting up to walk to the podium. Pam continued to amaze him, even now.

“Hi, everyone, I’m Pam Halpert, Jim’s wife, and my husband and I want to thank all of you for coming. When trying to figure out what I was going to say at my husband’s retirement party, I remembered back to when I met Jim in Scranton over 30 years ago. It was at West Scranton High School. I was the secretary there and Jim was the new English teacher. I remember my boss, the principal, talking about the new English teacher he hired and how hilarious he was.” There were some laughs in the crowd at that. “I remember having my doubts about that, but it turns out that my boss was right. It’s funny because Jim was different back then, I would say, but at the same time so much the same. He brought laughter into everyone’s day and made my days especially enjoyable where before they were often sort of dull. And he always managed to make everyone feel better about themselves, especially me. I remember that Jim was just very different than other people I had met and that he seemed to have a kindness about him that drew me to him. We soon became friends and when I came to my senses, we became more than that. Jim would always persuade me to pursue my own passions, specifically my art. It was only a year that he was in Scranton before coming here, and he inspired me to come here with him to take a chance on myself. I guess I didn’t always believe in myself, but it seemed like Jim believed in me enough for both of us.” Pam took a second to pause. “And then even when we got here, sometimes I wanted to quit, but Jim just wouldn’t let me.”

Jim smiled and remembered back.

It was warm for a Saturday morning, and Jim finally let himself wake up after sleeping restlessly due to his excitement. He realized that he probably shouldn’t be the most excited person in the house, but he just couldn’t help himself. He had wanted this day to come for years now, and it was finally here: Pam’s graduation from art school. He was just so proud of her. Finally, all of the hard work and sweat and tears she put into her artwork would be rewarded. Yesterday, Jim had wanted to run up and down the streets telling everyone his wife would be graduating tomorrow, but Pam had stopped him as he reached their front door, pulling him in by the arm and laughing at him before pulling him down to her to kiss him. Today was finally the day.

When he saw her seated amongst her classmates in their caps and gowns and then later on the stage receiving her diploma, he began to tear up. He had taken probably 100 pictures of her, even though she was only looking in his direction in half of them. He just couldn’t help himself. It was probably the happiest day of his life outside of the day she said, “I do” or his last day at West Scranton High School when she decided to take a chance on something. Take a chance on him.


“In fact,” Pam continued, “it was Jim that got me into teaching.” Jim smiled again, remembering that day as well.

“Pam, I really think you ought to consider this. Maybe give it a shot.”

“Maybe. I’m just not sure. I mean, I’ve never…I’m not sure teaching is for me, really. I mean, you’re great at it, Jim. You really are. And I know that I could teach; I mean I know enough having been through school, but…I just don’t think I’m cut out for it.”

“Pam…”

“And I really appreciate your support, Jim. Really, I do. I just don’t think it’s right for me.”

“Pam?”

“Yeah?” Pam answered back, sighing and looking at the floor.

“Look at me, Pam,” Jim said, waiting for her to look at him. “I love you more than anything. And it is my job to support and encourage you. But I would not tell you that you would be great at this unless I meant it. Pam, you just have more to offer than you realize. You would be perfect for this job. Won’t you please think about it?”

Pam nodded her head, knowing that if Jim believed in her, she could do anything.


“I think what makes Jim such a great teacher is his supportive nature. He has always been willing to go the extra mile for others, even if it meant sacrificing his own desires.”

“Do you want this job, Jim?”

“I honestly don’t know. I mean…it’s not something I’ve really considered.” Pam nodded, listening to all Jim had to say, as he had always done with her. “I mean…yeah, it’s a great opportunity, but…it’s one of those things that you think about when you’re younger and think ‘wouldn’t that be cool’ but then just write off as an impossibility. I just…I don’t know if I can leave everything behind.”

11 years into Jim’s coaching career, he had already won 3 state championships and that had gotten the attention of the head coach at his alma mater, Penn State, who had spoken with Jim and wanted to bring him in to be one of his assistants to reenergize the program and help recruit Philadelphia. “I mean, I’d have to give up teaching. Which I love.”

“Yeah, you do,” Pam answered.

“Plus, being a college coach is kind of a difficult life. They move around. Sometimes a lot.”

“Yeah, probably.”

“ And… there aren’t really many art jobs in State College, Pam.”

“Jim…that’s something you need to leave out of the equation.”

Jim looked at his wife with a tender look on his face, “Pam, I will never leave you out of the equation. Of all the things I would consider, you are what’s most important. You and the girls.”


In the end, Jim didn’t take the job. He told Pam he made the decision for himself, but she knew he didn’t want to uproot their life for an uncertain future. Never once did Jim regret his decision.

“Jim has made my life so much better because he has been part of it. I think that’s why we are all here tonight. Jim, I love you. You have made me so happy and brought so much joy to my life. You blessed me with a family and I can’t wait to have you home. Congratulations.” Again, there was applause and Pam stepped away from the podium and walked back to her seat next to Jim. When she got there, Jim wrapped his arms around her. He kissed her and then pulled her back into his embrace, whispering into her ear, “Thank you, Pam. I love you.” She whispered back, “I love you, too,” before both sat down.

Mr. Henderson stepped back up to the podium and said, “Pam, that was great. Now we were hoping we could get you to say a few words, Jim.”

“Me?” Jim asked.

“If you want.”

“Sure, yeah,” Jim said, walking up to the podium himself. “Okay. Thanks for coming, everyone. You’ll have to forgive me; I didn’t really have anything planned to say, and I’m only a teacher, so I’m not used to public speaking. At least not in front of adults.” Jim said, gaining a few laughs. “Really, I do want to thank everyone for coming. I see some familiar faces out there, some that I haven’t seen in quite a while. Everyone, my first boss, Michael, who hired me at West Scranton High School is here.” Michael also now lived in Philadelphia, having moved there when he married Jan Levinson, who took a job on a school board there. The two of them had a son, Daniel. “Also here is Dwight Schrute, who is now the Principal at West Scranton. Although when I was there, he was only Assistant to the Principal.” Jim smiled at Dwight, who was old and gray, who muttered, “Assistant Principal,” to himself, under his breath. “Man, Dwight. What can I say besides, I’ve missed you.”

Jim had actually not missed Dwight all that much. Jim had continued his pattern of pranking Dwight, only now it was from afar and he did not get to see Dwight’s reactions. He had asked Kevin if anything had happened with Dwight a couple of times, and Jim had thus heard that when Jim sent an anonymous message to the school that there were terrorists attempting to infiltrate a traitor in the History department, Dwight had attempted to get Andy Bernard fired. Jim had laughed at that.

“Next to Dwight everyone is his wife, Angela- she was my other first boss, the head of the English department at West Scranton. She really taught me a lot about teaching that first year, about how important preparation is because we really are preparing young people to go out into the world and preparation helps us maximize our time with them. It helps us be as efficient as we possibly can in the few hours a week we are privileged to spend with our students. So Angela, thank you for teaching me those lessons. Though I may not have been open to learning them at the time, I did keep them with me, and I am indebted to you for all you taught me that year.” Jim couldn’t be sure, but he thought he saw Angela blushing and hiding behind Dwight.

Jim paused for a moment, taking a second to gather his thoughts. “Next, I really want to thank my students. I hope I was able to teach them some things, because I guarantee that they taught me more. I wouldn’t trade the groups of kids I had for anything. I cherish a lot of memories they gave me, and I don’t think I could ever repay them.” A flood of memories came rushing into Jim’s mind.

It was a sweet victory- the biggest win of his career. State champions! It was the first time Jim had won, well, anything, really. No way would he have predicted it having started 2-6 with 3 sophomores and a freshman in the starting lineup. But his team had persevered and now they were hanging a championship banner in the gym.

Jim had felt honored to be voted the senior class’ favorite teacher, but he was even more proud of the good-bye gift they gave him- a prank. Jim had a Siamese fighting fish that he kept in a bowl on a shelf in his classroom. Some very clever students had taken the inside pane of his classroom door off and somehow reattached it- with his fish and a bunch of water now between the two panes of glass, with a post it on the glass that said, “From the class of 2010.”


Jim smiled at the memories. “Finally, I want to thank my family. That’s the Halpert clan over there. That’s my daughter, Samantha, and my son-in-law, Doug. Sam’s also a teacher, an elementary school teacher. Also here is my second daughter, Chloe, who is a lawyer here in town. And that guy standing next to them is my son, Will. He played for me and is now a sports reporter in D.C. Which is a shame because it has turned him into a Wizards fan- son, the Sixers will always be the best and everyone here knows it. But you guys should still buy his paper. Seriously. Otherwise, he’ll end up moving back home.” Some members of the audience laughed. “Just kidding, son. You know you’re always welcome at home. Seriously everyone, he’s a great writer, everyone, and being an English teacher, I should know. And those two future basketball stars with Samantha are James and Matt, my two year old grandsons. I really can’t wait to see them grow up. And Chloe is actually carrying my third grandchild and is due in a couple of months. So, the clan obviously keeps getting bigger.” Jim smiled and said, “Man, I’ve been outnumbered for a long time.” Again, the crowd laughed at Jim’s comments. “And finally…Pam. My Pam. We’ve had a good run, I’d say. It wasn’t always easy, but it’s been great.” Jim paused to smile at Pam. “You know, I remember when I met you, too, and I always think about that first year I knew you and how I had never met a greater friend. Pam, I still haven’t. Thank you so much for making my life so wonderful and full of joy. You really are amazing. More amazing than you know, I think. I love you.” Jim paused to gaze out at his wife, who had gotten misty eyed. It still amazed him that even after all this time; he was still head over heels in love with her. Even after so many days together, he still got butterflies around her, and he wouldn’t have it any other way. Time to wrap it up, Jim thought. “Everyone, thanks for coming, and thank you very much for putting all of this together for me. I will surely miss this, but I think I’m ready to lay back and watch my grandkids grow up. Thanks again.” The crowd stood and applauded Jim as he went to hug his family.

Later that evening, Jim was standing at the door and thanking everyone as they walked out in a procession. He had gotten to speak with countless former students, and got to see many of his former colleagues again. When there were only about a dozen people left in the room, Jim was approached by Dwight and Angela. Jim overheard Dwight call Angela “Monkey” and was thoroughly creeped out. When Dwight got to the front of the line, he shook Jim’s hand and said, “Jim, Angela told me I should congratulate you for your retirement.”

Dwight paused, and Jim tilted his head after a long silence. Finally, Dwight said, “So congratulations. However, I would like to point out that this just goes to prove that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks- even at your age, you are still looking to slack off and retire. I, on the other hand, will never retire.”

Jim smiled. Same old Dwight. “Dwight, I have no doubt that that is true.”

Then, Jim turned to Pam and Angela and said, “Can you guys excuse us for a minute?” They agreed, and Pam shot Jim a mischievous grin as Jim winked at her. Jim pulled Dwight aside and asked, “Dwight, do you still have connections in the volunteer sheriff’s department?”

Dwight answered quickly, “Of course I do. I still work there.”

Jim was puzzled but said, “Oh, yeah, obviously. Okay, can I trust you with something Dwight?”

Dwight was now intrigued and said, “Yes. Tell me.”

Jim paused for just the right amount of time, looked to each side of him, as if checking for eavesdroppers, and said in a whisper, “Okay, but this is just between us. I saw something a little suspicious outside…”
End Notes:
I have always wondered if that thing with the door glass would work. Thanks for reading.

I do have an idea for another story with a very general outline, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to find the time to write it out. This stuff takes me a while, which is why I am in awe of some of the things people put out on this site, especially considering how well they are written. I might get to it, though, so stay tuned.