It Could've Been Worse by larrymcg
Summary: Yeah, we didn't get our proposal, and I was as upset as anyone else, but think about how bad it could've gone. Here are a few examples. These are meant to be as horrifying as possible, but hopefully in a fun way.
Categories: Jim and Pam, Episode Related Characters: None
Genres: Angst
Warnings: Mild sexual content
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 2597 Read: 11318 Published: May 19, 2008 Updated: May 28, 2008
Story Notes:
I don't own Jim, Pam, or any other characters. No copyright infringement intended.

1. She's Baaaaaaaack by larrymcg

2. The Asp Strikes Again by larrymcg

3. Ryan's Revenge by larrymcg

4. Toxic by larrymcg

5. Jim's Revenge by larrymcg

She's Baaaaaaaack by larrymcg

 

Jim knew this was the right moment, and he wasn't going to let Andy's proposal change that. As soon as Pam got back, he was going to pop the question. He didn't want to wait one more minute to possibly let anything else get in their way. He was now anticipating her return so much that he had to get out of the lawn chair and walk around a little bit.


“Hi, Jim,” he heard a voice say from behind.


Jim immediately recognized this voice, but still didn't believe it until he turned around. “Karen?”


“Hi,” she brightly said.


“Hi,” he awkwardly replied, and began to nervously look around for Pam.


“I was here for Toby's party and thought maybe you wanted to talk,” she said hopefully.


Jim was getting increasingly uncomfortable. “I'm not sure that's a good idea.”


“Maybe this will change your mind,” Karen said as she kissed him. He tried to break away immediately, but it was too late.


“Jim!” a stunned Pam shouted.


“Pam, I can explain!” he said, rushing over to her.


“Explain what?” she said, with tears in her eyes.


“She was kissing me. I wasn't kissing her!”


“You must think I'm really stupid if you expect me to believe that, Jim. I guess I shouldn't blame you. I really must be stupid because I thought...”


“Thought what?”


“It's not important. Not anymore. I hope you and Karen are happy together.” She turned and began to run away.


Jim tried to stop her, but it was too late. She was leaving and didn't want to listen to what he was saying.


Andy and Kevin walked up to a dejected Jim to console him. Kevin patted him on the shoulder. “Sorry, Jim. Trust me, I know how it feels. When Stacey left me, I just wanted to blow my brains out.”


“Woah woah woah, Kev! “Andy hurriedly interrupted. “Let's not depress the man. Look, don't worry about it, Tuna. You don't need her. Angela's got some friends with hot bods we can set you up with.”


Jim couldn't take it anymore and walked in the direction of the closest alcoholic beverage.


“As a matter of fact, where is Angela?” Andy wondered, as he looked around for her. He spotted Phyllis walking out of the building. “Phyllis! Have you seen my lovely Angel?”

 

End Notes:

 

Hope you guys "enjoyed" it. This isn't even the worst one.

The Asp Strikes Again by larrymcg

The photographs were finally taken. Pam was glad to get away, because Toby's tight hold during the pose was getting to be a bit uncomfortable. She walked back to Jim, who seemed like he was either lost in though or ready to kill Andy. It was hard to tell.


“He stole your thunder, didn't he?” Pam asked.


Jim hadn't noticed her walk up, so it took him a moment to grasp what she said. He was certainly relieved when he figured it out. “You could say that,” he said through a sad smile.


“Well, I guess you'll just have to kick my ass some other time,” she said warmly.


She was always great at cheering him up, and he loved the fact that she could read him so well. “I think I can manage that.” With that, he took her hand and they walked back to the lawn chairs.


They passed by Andy, who was wandering around looking for something. They just chalked it up to him being his usual eccentric self and continued on. They didn't continue too far, though. Standing before them now was someone they certainly hadn't expected to see at Toby's farewell party.


“Katy,” a mildly stunned Jim blurted out.


“Hi, Jim ... and Pam,” she said, slightly stunned herself, having noticed them holding hands. “You guys are together. Wow!”


“Yeah, for almost a year now” Pam said pleasantly. She wasn't jealous, but she did move a bit closer to Jim just in case Katy didn't get the point.


“I thought you guys were just friends, but it all kinda makes sense now,” Katy said, as she relived the moments of the ill-fated booze cruise in her head. She tried to recover with a bright smile. “Well, I'm really happy for you two.”


“Thanks,” Jim said, still not entirely comfortable with seeing her. “Not to be rude, but I guess I'm wondering why you're here?”


“Well, there's something I wanted to talk to you about,” she said. “I called Mark, but he said you didn't live there anymore, but he knew you had a work party tonight.”


“Okay, but I guess I'm wondering why it couldn't have waited,” Jim replied, with only a tinge of annoyance in his voice.


Before she could respond, Kelly came up from behind her, holding a little girl in her arms. “Oh my god, Katy, she is the cutest thing!” She handed the girl back to Katy.


“Jim, meet Sadie, “Katy said, with a nervous smile. “She's your daughter.”


Jim and Pam could not form coherent words at the moment. Even Kelly was shocked into silence.


Andy walked up to them, looking more than a little desperate. “Have you guys seen where Angela went? We're engaged and I can't find her!”


Everyone was still too shocked to listen to what Andy was asking, much less care about it.


“Real helpful, guys!” an increasingly distressed Andy said to the silent group. He stormed off in frustration. “ANGELA!”


End Notes:

I dedicate this one to my fellow Gilmore Girls fans, who suffered something very similar to this. 
Ryan's Revenge by larrymcg

 

It was a beautiful night. Everything Jim had done in preparation for this had been perfect. The fireworks lit up the sky to create that magical moment he was looking for. Pam looked over at him with such a bright smile that he wondered if she knew what was up. He didn't care, though. This girl was obviously in love with him, and there wasn't going to be a better moment than this to ask her to spend the rest of her life with him.


"Hey," he said, grabbing the ring in his coat pocket.


Pam looked over at him in nervous anticipation, but she was still smiling. She did know what was coming.


Jim got down on one knee in front of her. "Pam Beesly..." he started, but was immediately interrupted.


"James Halpert?"


Jim turned around to notice several police officers standing there. He immediately stood up and so did Pam.


"Are you James Halpert?" the officer asked.


"Yes?" a confused Jim responded. What could this be about?


"Mr. Halpert, you are under arrest." The officer immediately walked behind Jim and began to handcuff him.


It happened so fast and Jim was so shocked that the handcuffs were on him before he could protest.


"You have the right to remain silent,” the officer said, as he began reading the list of rights, but he was quickly interrupted.


"WHAT THE HELL?" Pam shouted. At first, she thought it was a joke, but she quickly realized that it wasn't. "What are you doing? Leave him alone!"


"Mam, please don't interrupt," one of the officers sternly warned her.


"Look, I understand my rights,” an angry Jim said. Even as he was being arrested, Jim couldn't stand someone talking to Pam like that. “What is this all about?"


"Corporate fraud, Mr. Halpert,” the arresting officer responded. “According to Mr. Howard, you were assisting him in recording fraudulent sales information."


Jim started to respond to this, but knowing his rights, he decided against it. The police began to lead Jim away.


"Don't worry, Jim! I'll be right behind you. I'm gonna bail you out!" Pam said, following them to the police car.


Andy Bernard was extremely frustrated as he watched all of this go down. It had ruined the big moment he planned. Thankfully, the commotion started to die down after the police put Jim in the car and left. Now it was his turn to surprise everyone. Andy walked up to the stage and grabbed the microphone.


“Can I have your attention, please?” he asked the crowd. “I've been waiting for the right moment to do this,” he continued, but he started to look worried. As he scanned the crowd, he couldn't find the person he was looking for. “Has anyone seen Angela?” he asked.


The few that were paying attention to him muttered that they hadn't. She must have gone somewhere during the commotion.


He started to sound more desperate as he shouted into the microphone. “Come on! She was just here! ANGELA!”


End Notes:

I plan on doing two more chapters of this. The worst is yet to come.
Toxic by larrymcg

“Big Tuna and Pamalama!” a jubilant Andy said as he walked up to Jim and Pam.


Andy was the last person Jim wanted to see right now. Even if it was just a coincidence, he'd ruined Jim's carefully orchestrated plan to propose that night. All Jim wanted to do was think about the next chance he'd get to propose.


“What did you guys think of the proposal?” Andy asked.


“It was very sweet, Andy,” Pam replied.


“Yeah, perfect timing,” Jim said sharply. This didn't go unnoticed by Pam.


“Actually, on the subject of my awesome proposal, I was wondering if either of you have seen Angela around?”


“No, we haven't,“ Pam quickly said, hopefully interrupting some rude comment from Jim, and Andy left to find help elsewhere.


“They're off to a great start, aren't they?” Jim sarcastically asked.


“Jim?” Pam asked, immediately getting his attention. “The moment is still right. You don't have to wait just because of Andy.”


Jim was immensely happy that Pam had figured it out, but he still wanted to come up with something special for the proposal. “You know what? Wait here, just one minute. I'll be right back.”


Pam could swear it took longer than a minute, but she didn't care. She was amazed by what she saw when Jim came back.


“Pam?” he asked.




We interrupt your regularly scheduled program to bring you the following NBC news update...


Sources inside the LAPD have reported that Britney Spears has been arrested for DUI. About 30 minutes ago, she was pulled over for reckless driving and registered a .20 blood alcohol level. We will have continuing coverage throughout the night.

 

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming, already in progress.




Pam wiped tears away from her face with a hand that now displayed an engagement ring. "I have to admit. You really did kick my ass. That was an amazing proposal."


"Told ya, Beesly," he said with a huge grin on his face.


Off in the distance, the happy couple could hear a frustrated Andy shout, "Can somebody help me find my freakin' fiancee?!"



End Notes:

One more to go, and it's a really bad one! Hope you guys are having fun!
Jim's Revenge by larrymcg

Jim Halpert couldn't believe it. How many more random things would stand in the way of a happy future with Pam? After all they had been through in the past and then dealing with the Ryan debacle, things seemed to be looking up. He had created the perfect moment to propose to Pam and he knew she was going to say yes. He even got so far as a "Hey" before he was interrupted, and it was all Andy Bernard's fault.

"Are you okay, Jim?" a concerned Pam asked.

"Yeah," he replied, a bit distracted as he was trying to burn a hole in Andy's head. He was determined to get his revenge on Andy as soon as possible.

"Are you sure?" Pam asked. "Because I haven't seen your face like that since the time Michael asked us about our favorite sexual positions."

Jim laughed. She was always good at lightening the mood when he was upset. "You know what? Screw it,” he impulsively said.

"What?" she said, a little startled at not only what he said, but also by the fact that he left his chair and got down on one knee.

Jim opened up the little box and displayed the ring to her. "Pamela Beesly, will you marry me?"

The word that came out of her mouth surprised her almost as much as it surprised him. "No.”

This was the last thing Jim expected her to say. He searched her face, hoping that she was joking. Maybe this was some payback for all of his proposal pranks. Sadly, he knew this was just wishful thinking. He’d seen this look on her face before. The same look he'd hoped to never see again. This was real. She did not want to marry him.

“What?” a still bewildered Jim responded. “I thought this is what you wanted.”

“I thought so, too,” a teary Pam replied. “I don't know what to say.”

She didn't even really understand it herself. She was definitely in love with Jim, so what was the problem? Maybe it was the art school in New York. Maybe it was cold feet because her last engagement wasn't a very positive one. Whatever it was, she just couldn't say yes at that moment, and she didn't know how to explain that to Jim.

“I guess you said it all with that one word, didn't you?” he said with a little more bite than he intended.

“Jim...”

“Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I guess I just feel like an idiot right now.”

“Please don't feel that way.”

“Actually, I'm gonna go for a walk. I think that would be good for me.”

“Jim!” she called out, trying to stop him, but it was too late. He was determined to get away as quickly as possible.

It had been an excruciatingly long wait for Jim to come back, but it did give Pam time to think. All she could think about is how crazy she'd been. She wanted to marry him. She knew that for a long time. Pam decided there was no more time for stupid excuses to not go after what she deserved. She got out her cell phone, dialed, and impatiently waited for an answer.

“Pam Babely!” Andy exclaimed, greeting Pam enthusiastically, but looking a bit desperate.

“Not now Andy,” she said as she kept dialing and dialing, hoping that Jim would pick up soon.

“Well, the thing is I can't find Angela. I was hoping...”

Pam was starting to feel a little desperate herself. “Andy, I said NOT. NOW.”

“Very well. I guess I'll just go look for her in the ditch over there! Seems like a reasonable place for her to go,” he sarcastically said.

Pam wasn't paying attention to him anymore. The only thing she was paying attention to was her cell phone and the redial button on it. Jim didn't seem to be taking calls at the moment, and this deeply concerned her.

Little did Andy know that his beloved Angela was in one of the most obvious places for him to look. She was up in the office by her desk. It's probably a good thing he didn't know that, because he would have seen a half-naked Angela cheating on him.

No more necking for Angela. She needed some raw sexual energy and this man could provide it in ways that Andy never could, if only he would turn off that damn cell phone that kept ringing.

“Please shut that thing off,” she demanded.

Jim reached into his pocket and turned the ringer off before returning to her lips. It was only a matter of time before Angela smacked him on the chest to get his attention and he turned around to see someone standing at the entrance. When Jim saw a stunned Phyllis looking at the two of them, he knew nothing would ever be the same again.




End Notes:

I told you guys I was saving the worst for last! However, anyone who has read In Her Arms probably expected this from me. :)
This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3568