I Object by gamesetmatch
Summary: AU: Karen and Jim are getting married! How does everyone inside (and outside!) the office react? Begins pre-Beach Games.
Categories: Jim and Pam, Present, Alternate Universe Characters: Ensemble, Jim/Karen, Jim/Pam
Genres: Angst, Drunk Pam/Jim, Fluff, Humor
Warnings: Adult language
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 7176 Read: 14286 Published: July 14, 2008 Updated: July 17, 2008
Story Notes:
I own nothing! Except for the advantage of having my brain. Which I use...when advantageous. So, there's that.

1. chapter one: the bomb is dropped by gamesetmatch

2. chapter two: venting by gamesetmatch

3. chapter three: not a big deal by gamesetmatch

4. chapter four: escorted off the premises by gamesetmatch

5. chapter five: the wedding part I and epiphanies by gamesetmatch

6. chapter six: the wedding part II and "what are you doing?" by gamesetmatch

chapter one: the bomb is dropped by gamesetmatch
Author's Notes:
Okay, so, here goes. I hope you enjoy!


If someone had asked her what day today was, she would have simply answered “Tuesday.” A bland, bleak, Tuesday of no significance, of no importance to her or anyone she knew. Another day at the office, followed by another night on the couch watching Law & Order and eating double the serving suggestion of macaroni and cheese from the box. She didn’t think anything of it. Except she’s was a little excited for tonight because there was also a new episode of CSI: Miami and she bought like six of those Betty Crocker instant-dessert things because Kelly told her they were really good and just enough to satisfy your chocolate craving but not too much to make you feel like you broke your diet. Pam didn’t tell her about the macaroni.

Nor did she think anything of it when Jim and Karen came in late, not looking the least bit remorseful. No, both of them seemed the happiest she had seen either of them in a long time, if ever. Her heart shattered a little but she just ignored it and greeted them with a monotone “Hey”. They greeted her shortly and Jim took Karen’s coat, whispering something in her ear and she giggled. Pam kind of gagged but pretended to cough. They didn’t pay her any attention.

“Michael wanted to see you two? In his office?” They were not meant to be questions, but the way Jim’s fingers were splayed over Karen’s shoulder made her throat catch and they just came out that way or something. Karen nodded at her, her teeth sparkling and her grin never faltering.

“Yeah, I guess we’re a little late, huh?” she giggled (Since when did Karen giggle?) and her smile grew wider as she looked up at Jim, who just nodded and stared at his girlfriend. Pam cleared her throat and fought down the urge to leap over her desk and strangle Karen. ’Probably shouldn’t have watched Mean Girls again last night.’

“Y-you should probably g-go see him. He had three cups of coffee this morning and he’s getting pretty antsy.” Jim tore his eyes away from Karen (finally) and looked up at Pam, his eyes dark and sparkling, and for a minute, Pam pretended he was thinking about her. The couple nodded and sauntered into Michael’s office, Jim’s hand on the small of Karen’s back and her gripping his bicep. What the hell was up with them being so lovey-dovey-touchy-feely today? She silently thanked the Lord that they hadn’t started cuddling or Eskimo-kissing on Jim’s desk. Ugh.

About three minutes after Jim and Karen had gone in to see Michael, some cheers and whoops started coming from his office, and a loud “I bet you guys did it like twenty times!” was enough to drive Pam to grab her coat and silently slink out of the office to take her lunch break (even though it was only eleven-thirty). She silently hoped with all of her being that maybe they would fight or get sick of each other or something while she was gone, and then immediately chastised herself for being so horribly mean. A thousand tiny toothpicks pricked her skin as she drove past Karen’s car, noticing that Jim’s was nowhere in sight. Obviously they had come together, they had arrived at the same time, had they not? Pam jerked her tiny blue car into a parking space and slammed the car door shut. Almost violently she stomped into the Dunkin Donuts and hissed her order to the young girl behind the counter, who merely rolled her eyes and handed Pam her the scalding styrofoam cup. As kind-hearted as she was today , Pam didn’t bother to tip.

Truth be told, she really wasn’t hungry, on the contrary, she felt the familiar sticky, harsh taste in her mouth, like the taste of blood or pennies, whenever she thought of Jim and Karen together, doing things she had only dreamed of doing with him, of experiencing with the only man that seemed to understand her completely. ‘Until now.’ She thought bitterly.

Pam shivered, grabbed a few napkins from the dispenser and left, pushing the door with so much force that the bell the signaled someone entering didn’t even jingle, it just hit the side of the door with a loud smack. She nearly injured an incoming customer, but because she was so caught up in her little hissy fit she just mumbled an apology. There were just almost impaled with a glass door. They’d get over it.

In the car, Pam mentally prepared herself for more awkward encounters and half-hearted conversations. When she got of the car back at the office, she looked straight ahead and didn’t think about cars or they’re owners, nor did she think about the parking lot itself, because that was likely to maybe cause a little breakdown. She did not mentally prepare herself, however for the sight she was greeted with.

Phyllis, Meredith, Michael, and Oscar were gathered around a blushing, giggling Karen who was staring at Jim, who was staring at Karen. Pam furrowed her brows in confusion, a wave of panic washing over her like the kind you get in grade school when you realize that you forgot to do your homework or study for a test. No one noticed Pam’s entrance except Michael, who excitedly beckoned her over with his hand.

“Did you hear, Pam-o-ramma?” He was hopping excitedly, and used his other arm to move Oscar and Meredith out of the way. Like a six-year-old proudly showing off his new toy, Michael yanked Karen’s left hand forward, revealing a glittering, white-gold ring.

“Jimbo and Karen got engaged!”

End Notes:
Please review! I'll even do your laundry. :)

Next up: Pam vents and some confrontation sparks. Oooh!
chapter two: venting by gamesetmatch
Author's Notes:
I know I promised "confrontation", but this chapter was getting really long, so. Sort of a transition chapter, as a super big THANK YOU to everyone who reviewed! You guys are the best!


The next few weeks were pretty brutal for Pam. Karen was constantly giddy and giggling, and Jim worked even harder at sales so they could “afford a honeymoon as far from the Poconos as possible.” Which was Karen’s reasoning, but if you asked Pam it would be because Karen wasn’t really trying to make sales anymore. No, Karen had decided to use almost all of her time in the office calling caterers and ordering flower arrangements. There was a stack of bridal magazines next to her desk to rival Kelly’s. Seriously.

Jim talked to Pam less than usual, and it was the worst torture she could have imagined. Not only was he distant, cold, and with someone else, but he actually exuded happiness. He was happy. And she knew that she should probably be content with the fact that he had moved on and found happiness and all that, but she wasn’t. No, she really just wanted to scream and yell at him and throw heavy objects at his effing fiancé and burn all her magazines in the fiery pits of hell. Instead, she played game after game of Solitaire, clicking violently and staring so intently that her eyes burned. Sometimes she thought about the irony that she was playing Solitaire and she was, in fact, utterly alone (Okay, so that sounded way too emo, even in her own head.) But Pam didn’t like to dwell on the bad things.

What really was the icing on the cake, the cherry on top, teh final straw, so to speak, was that Karen had enlisted Pam’s help in planning the entire wedding; asking her advice on color schemes, bridemaid dresses, her opinion on DJ’s versus live bands.

And it wasn’t that she minded that much, except during those not-so-rare occasions when Jim would ask to help. Yes, Jim wanted top help in his own wedding. He wanted to help pick out the bridesmaid dresses and help Karen decide veil-or-no-veil. And it made Pam sick to her stomach and, for a lack of a better word, unbelievably jealous. Roy hadn’t wanted to help at all, he didn’t really care. He wanted to plan the bachelor party and that was it. Jim? Jim didn’t even want a bachelor party. Which actually turned into a heated argument between him and Karen, who wanted him to “have his last taste of freedom” before the wedding.

Naturally, all this horribleness eventually got to Pam, like really got to her, and it showed. To anyone who was paying attention, she was sure. Sh made no effort to disguise it; I mean, why bother?

“Pam?” a timid voice questioned one day when she was (seemingly) alone in the kitchen, furiously dipping her tea bag into her mug. The voice startled her and she turned around sharply, bumping her elbow against the counter.

“Oh, hey, Toby.” She rubbed her elbow and offered him a tight smile. “What’s up?”

“Hey, um…listen. Don’t take this personally or anything, but I just noticed that you seem pretty…um…well, a little mad these days. I mean, I wouldn’t pry or anything, but as HR rep I have to make sure outside things aren’t interfering with productivity, so…”

“Productivity? I’m a receptionist, Toby. I answer phones. I don’t even think I’ve missed a call all month!” She knew she was totally overreacting, but who the hell cared? She had to take this out on someone, and innocent Toby was currently the only one around, so.

“Um, right. That’s…true. Well, okay. Just, if you want to talk or anything…” He trailed off and looked around nervously, and Pam instantly felt awful. It wasn’t Toby’s fault that Jim was marrying an awful woman with horrible tastes in wedding decorations. (Honestly, orange flowers? What the hell is that?)

“Oh, I’m sorry Toby. You’re right. I’ve been pretty crabby lately. It’s just, all this with Karen planning her wedding? During office hours? I mean, if you want to bust someone productivity, it’s her! I mean, it’s totally not my place to say, I guess, but she’s like those women on Bridezilla and it’s just really, really, really annoying!” Pam’s voice climbed about twenty decibels as she continued to vent. Toby’s eyebrows were so high they were hidden behind his hairline.

“Sorry, sorry! That was...whew. I’m sorry. That was really mean. I-I shouldn’t’ have said that.” Pam flopped into a chair and Toby sat down beside her, awkwardly patting her shoulder.

“Well, um, since that technically counts as a complaint, I really have to write it down…” Pam’s eyes grew wide and her mouth began to quiver. On top of all this awfulness, there would be a piece of paper, actual tangible proof of her loathing of Karen?

“C-Can I take it back?”

“You can redact it…”

“Yes. Yes, I redact it.”

“Um, okay then. Um…I guess I should get going…” Toby jerked his thumb in the direction of the annex and started to get up, but Pam covered his hand with hers.

“So my name’s taken off? No one will know I said those things?”

“Yeah, it’ll be taken off.”

“Okay…um, well, thanks Toby.” Pam stood up too, and looked down at her Ked’s, shuffling her feet awkwardly. “You know, for listening.”

Toby nodded and slumped out of room, shooting Pam a withering smile before letting the door close behind him. Great. Now Toby-freaking-Flenderson felt bad for her. What the hell was wrong with her!?

Pam went back into the office, only to be greeted with the sight of Karen poring over bridal magazines at Jim’s desk. Ew.She walked slowly back to the reception desk and opened a new game of Solitaire, just as the phone rang. Pam sighed as she piked up the phone, and it felt heavier than usual in her hand.

“Dunder Mifflin, this is Pam.”

End Notes:
Reviews make me a giddy schoolgirl, dress and all.

Next up: Toby spills the beans.
chapter three: not a big deal by gamesetmatch
Author's Notes:


Okay, we are changing point of view in this chapter, and we get to see a little bit of my completely fictional bitchy Karen. Because let's be honest, she's not that bad, but for the sake of this story she is. Also, this chapter is really long. So, sorry about that. Also, I own nothing!


It was a slap in the face.

Seriously, who complains about someone being happy? About someone planning the biggest milestone in their life. It was disgusting! She wanted to severely question each person in the office to figure out who could be so undeniably cruel.

But most of all, it hurt. It hurt so much that someone was annoyed that she was finally, finally happy. Then again, it was probably Angela-in-accounting, who was a heartless bitch, or Stanley, who groaned or rolled his eyes whenever she asked his honest opinion on whether it was okay to not have a chuppa even though Jim’s family was Jewish and neither of them were converting.

So yeah, it was mean and spiteful and rude and all of that, but what was worse was the way Toby-the-HR made such a huge deal out of it.

“Hey, Karen, can I um, talk to you for a second? In the break room?” he had approached her desk at 4:30pm, clutching a clipboard, while Pam was helping her decide between salmon or mahi-mahi.

Karen looked at Pam, her eyebrows quirked as if to say “What do you think that’s about?” but Pam had only shrugged nervously before averting her eyes back down to the PRO-CON list they had started earlier about Church weddings.

“Um, sure, Toby. Break room okay?”

“That’s good.” He nodded and clutched the clipboard tighter to his chest, like a high school freshman clutching his books on the first day of school. He held the door open for her and they sat down at a table in the corner.

“So what’s up?” she asked, fiddling with the buttons on her blouse. Toby laid his clipboard on the table neatly, unclipped a few papers and patted on the table a few times to straighten them out. Karen thought he seriously looked like a dork.

“Um, don’t take this personally, but I just think you should know that a few people have filed complaints against you…”

“A complaint? What does that mean? Who’s complaining about me?” she was totally caught off-guard: someone was complaining about her? What was this, like Kindergarten? She was being tattled on?

“Um, it’s really not a huge deal, just…you know. I think that maybe people just think you should try to plan your wedding…maybe…outside o the office. It’s just…I think people are finding it distracting…”

What? Who said that? Who’s complaining about me?” she looked at Toby square in the eye. He shuffled the papers nervously and dropped his gaze to the table.

“Um, I’m really not supposed to tell you that, it’s really just…”

“Let. Me. See.” Karen growled and snatched the paper from the table top and skimmed the page. “They’re criticizing my productivity?! A Bridezilla?! What the hell, Toby? Who filed this? Who’s got a problem with me planning my wedding, huh? What. The Hell?!” Karen was standing now, clutching the now slightly-wrinkled paper in her manicured hand.

“I can’t tell you that, Karen, but you have to calm down. It’ really not a big deal. Really, I think that we should just forget this ever happened…this…this is inappropriate behavior for the workplace!” Toby’s voice squeaked and he gathered his papers and hurriedly exited the room. Karen, on the other hand, was fuming. She walked back into the office and over to Jim’s desk.

“Look a this.” She commanded, thrusting the paper in front of his face. Instead, her pushed her hand onto the table and twisted his head to look at her.

“Kar, I’m really, really busy. Can this wait? I told already I don’t care if you don’t want a chuppa, that’s fine with me.”

“No, Jim, it’s not that. Look at this. Someone complained about us.”

“What? What does that mean?” he asked, grabbing the paper from her hands and reading it over.

“I know, right? It’s so horrible! Like, how could they say that about us?!” Jim shook his head set the memo on his desk.

“Its fine, Karen. Not a big deal.” He stated calmly (Because let's be honest here, they were complaining about her, not him,) turning back to his computer.

“Jim!”

“Karen, listen, I really want to close this sale, okay? Let’s…let’s talk about this later?” his voice had dropped to a low whisper, his eyes pleading with her to just let it go. She took the hint.

“Fine. I have to leave now anyway. I’m going to go pick up the bridesmaid dresses.” She crossed her arms over her chest before bending down and kissing Jim on the cheek. After grabbing her coat and bag, Karen began walking out, stopping at Pam’s desk.

“Hey, I just wanted to say thanks for helping me and everything. Um, and I was just wondering if you’d like to come to my bachelorette party?” Pam looked stunned.

“Oh, um. Sure, I guess so.”

“Great! It’s this Saturday…um, in New York, actually. Yeah, so, just call me later and I’ll give you directions or whatever.”

“Okay, sounds great. Thanks Karen.” Pam replied right before the phone rang.

----------------------------------------------------------

“She invited you and not me?!” Kelly squealed in the kitchen about five minutes later. “But I’ve been helping just as much as you have! And I have better taste than you!” Pam stared straight ahead as Kelly rambled on about how her wedding would be “way huger!” than Karen’s and that at Kelly’s bachelorette party, there’d be strippers would looked “exactly like Jude Law! Or Brad Pitt! Or Justin Timberlake!”

Pam, meanwhile, was completely wrought with worry. What the hell was Toby thinking?! Telling Karen? What if Karen found out it was Pam’s complaint! All hell would break loose, that’s what. Holy shit.

“Pam, are you even listening to me?” Pam turned her head to look at Kelly, whose arms were folding across her chest.

“Um…” was all she could muster.

“Whatever. I have to go, but I’ll see you tomorrow. Bye, Pam.”

“Bye, Kelly.” Her voice had no volume or feeling, and it took Pam awhile to realize she was the only one left in the office.

Pam exited the kitchen, only to find that she was horribly, horribly wrong. She wasn’t the last person in the office. No, there also happened to be one other person left in the office: Jim.

“Oh, hey Pam, I was wondering if I could talk to you for a second?”

“Uh-Um…s-sure…!” she stuttered and her mind went blank. That was the longest group of words he had spoken to her since last Wednesday, when he asked what she thought was better “white and blue china or white and gold?”

Pam sat herself down in Ryan’s old chair and placed her hands awkwardly in her lap.

“So…what’s up?” she asked nervously. He was facing her, but his eyes were al over the place, obviously avoiding looking at her, but when she spoke their eyes locked.

“Oh, um, I just wanted to say thanks, you know, for helping Karen out and stuff. For...for helping us out with the planning…or whatever.” He cleared his throat nervously and his eyes went zooming around the room again.

“Oh, yeah. Of course.” She nodded her head a little too eagerly, before deciding to just be spontaneous or whatever. “This is really awkward, isn’t it?”

“Yeah, kinda…” he chuckled and they looked at each other sheepishly.

“I wish it wasn’t…” she was almost whispering now, and his eyes were finally looking at her face. She blushed.

“Me, too, Pam. Me too.” They sat in silence for a few moments, when suddenly the trance was broken by Jim’s cell phone ringing on his desk.

“I should...get…tha—“

“Oh, yeah! Yeah, that’s fine. I have…to go, anyways…” she mouthed the last words as Jim answer the phone, and he waved to her as she was leaving. She stalled a little so she could listen to the conversation.

“Hey Karen. Everything wet well? Good, okay. Yes, I’m on my way. Okay. Bye, okay you too.” He flipped his phone closed with a 'thwap' and a long sigh, just as the door closed behind her.



End Notes:
That was a long one, huh? (that's what she said) Well, in any case, please review! I'd love to hear what you think so far!

Next up: Karen's bachelorette party and a date for Pam. Oh boy!
chapter four: escorted off the premises by gamesetmatch
Author's Notes:


Another little transition mini-chapter, I guess, but probably one of my favorites to write! Hope everyone enjoys!


So. This was awkward.

The bar was stuffy and smoky; it smelled like stale cigarettes and cheap perfume and booze. Seriously, cue the Journey tribute. And she could have been having a good time, but really, she was bored and frustrated, and not nearly drunk enough to be enjoying herself.

Karen had chosen a bar in the city, a small little unknown with really good cheese fries and lukewarm beer. Everyone at the bachelorette party was wearing a plastic crown and a feather boa, assorted colors. A stripper dressed like George Clooney in Oceans Eleven had stopped by about an hour ago, and all the girls (minus Pam) had started whooping and whipping out their singles and waving them around like pom-poms, the most prolific being Karen’s cousin Olivia. Pam had sat in the back, stirring her iced tea (‘designated driver’ and all that), and squeezed the little lemon slice until it was utterly completely dry. Woo-hoo.

It occurred to Pam early on that she didn’t know any of these women. They all looked like Karen, slender with pin-straight hair and a businesswoman-like demeanor (Until the booze kicked in, of course.) Pam? Pam was a lowly receptionist who took weekend art classes at the university and stood back and watched as her best friend married a bitchy, uptight, pushy, and currently inebriated woman that was totally completely wrong for him.

So, yeah. She didn’t really have all that much to talk to them about. But c’mon, no need to be bitter! Pam sipped down the rest of her tea and ordered another, just as a wobbly Karen came by her table.

“PAY-YAM!” Karen sang as she flopped into a chair across from her. “I have—hic!—just the perrrrfect date for you! For—hic!—the wedding!”

“Oh, yeah?” Pam asked in monotone as the waiter clinked her refill back on the table.

“Yes!” Karen squealed, dipping one finger in the tea and licking it off. In her mind’s eye, she spilled the entire contents on Karen’s perfect sleek little head. In reality, she just pushed it towards her. “His name is Will and he’s my best friend! And you’re my best friend ever! So you guys would be awesome!” Karen giggled and Pam quirked your eyebrow.

“Your best friend, Will? You want me to go to your wedding with your best friend?”

“Mmmmmhmmmm!” Karen nodded and took a sip of the iced tea. She winced as she sipped through the straw. “Ugh. Too sweet!” The mid of honor, Karen’s sister Alyssa, handed the bride what looked like a rum-and-Coke, and Karen dumped it into the half-filled iced tea glass and took a long sip. “Mmmmm! Better!”

She then proceeded to slip off her chair, taking the rum-and-tea-and-Coke with her. The glass crashed around her, soaking her outfit and her hair. Everyone started laughing, and even the manager smirked as he kicked them out. (“That is not appropriate for this establishment, lady. I’m going to have to ask you to leave the premises.”)

The girls all shuffled out and stood on the corner while Pam fished her cell phone out of her bag and dialing.

“Pam? What’s going on? Are you guys okay?”

“We’re fine, Jim. But, um, we just got kicked out of the bar, so…”

“Kicked out? Oh boy, what did you do, Beesly?” he asked jokingly, and she could tell that he had a little alcohol in his system, too. What lovely parents they were sure to make.

I didn’t do anything. Karen fell off her chair and got us escorted off the premises.”

“Fell off her chair, huh? That sounds familiar. Don’t you remember the Dundies like two years ago, Pam? Ah, you and Karen are one in the same, I guess!” he chuckled. Tears stung Pam’s eyes. They most certainly we’re not.

“Whatever, Jim. Just…what do you want me to do?”

“Relax, Pam. Just call a few cabs and have them take everyone down to Poor Richards—hey!“ There’s was some crackling on Jim’s end before a new voice screamed in Pam’s ear.

“Pam-a-lamma-ding-dong!” Ugh. Michael.

“Hi Michael.” she groaned. One of the bridesmaids had fallen asleep on the sidewalk and was snoring so loudly Pam had to plug one of her ears.

“Pamela! I hear you have some drunken babes! Bring ‘em down! We’ll “git ‘er done!” Ha—Dane Cook. It’ll be like Coyote Ugly! Except they’re hot!”

“Michael, I don’t think that’s a great idea. Can you put Jim on?”

“Sure, just remember! He’s getting’ hitched tomorrow!” Like she needed any reminding. There was some incoherent yelling before she heard Michael’s voice again. “Heeeere’s the groom!”

“Hey, sorry, about that. I tried to take the phone back, but Michael bit my hand.” Jim’s deeper voice stated breathlessly. Her heart flip-flopped.

“Yeah, well, I’ve got three cabs waiting here, so should we just come to Poor Richard’s, or?”

“Yeah, that’s fine. We’ll them home…somehow. I don’t know, but let’s just get everyone back in the state.”

“Okay. Well, Bye Jim. See you soon.” Pam said with a resound sigh.

“Bye Pam. See you.” And he hung up.

End Notes:
Ah! Karen and her friends: they're a rambunctious bunch, aren't they? Ha, well, review! Review like the wind! Next up: the Wedding: Part One! Oh boy!
chapter five: the wedding part I and epiphanies by gamesetmatch
Author's Notes:


Oh boy oh boy oh boy! This is my longest chapter so far, and probably the heaviest, too. But, I just had to get it out. I hope everyone enjoys!


She was supposed to meet Will out front one half hour before the wedding started. They had talked on the phone (Karen had given her the number after she was sober and well-rested Monday morning) and he had seemed nice enough. He told her he’d be wearing a green tie, which seemed weird to her because he’d be clashing horribly with the décor, but whatever. He was late, in any case.

She stood outside the church, leaning against one of huge columns that lined the outside. Her dress was light pink, shiny silk and strapless (with a shawl around her shoulders, of course. She was still Pam,) with a fitted bodice that flowed gently from her hip to past her knees in layers. Leaning against this pole was probably not making it look any better, but what did she care? This wasn't her day to make an impression.

Pam ran a frustrated hand through her loose curls and clutched her small purse in her hand. In it was nothing but her cell phone and two envelopes, one containing a check for Karen and Jim’s wedding present, and the other a note just for Jim that she had no intention of giving him but had brought along anyway. Maybe, in a moment of boldness, she would shove it down his throat during their vows. Probably not. Pam shivered and pulled her shawl tighter around her shoulder.

Pam shook her head in disgust. She couldn’t actually believe that this was happening. Jim and Karen were getting married. That bitch was going to be Karen Halpert. Pam nearly vomited at just the thought of Karen and Jim sharing a honeymoon. Ugh.

And what was worse, Jim was just so cavalier about the whole thing. He acted like he and Pam had no history, no connection. Like he had never felt her lips on his, he had never loved her. Been in love with her. She wondered if Karen knew about that casino charity thing in the warehouse, if she knew the real reason Jim moved to Stamford. She highly doubted that Karen knew the truth. Then again, Karen and Jim we’re so happily in love, she doubted that either of them would care if she revealed it to the entire wedding party. They were just so heartless, both of them. Couldn’t Jim tell, couldn’t he see that she was (still) in love with him? Didn’t he care?

And suddenly, it dawned on her. This was how Jim had felt. This is how Jim had felt for three years, or however long he’d been in love with her. She realized that she was kind of a little bit lucky. Jim and Karen’s engagement had lasted, what? Two months? They wasted no time at all. It really was a whirlwind courtship. Her and Roy? She had made Jim feel like this for three years. How absolutely horrible was she! It wasn’t like she couldn’t tell Jim sort-of liked her. And it wasn’t like she didn’t secretly like him, too. In fact, that was the reason she didn’t tell him to knock it off, no, she totally lead him on.

Because truth be told, it made her feel good. It made her feel desired and even kind of powerful. That she could toy and play with a grown man who had a thing for her. God, she was cruel. And here she was, feeling angry and blaming him and Karen for all the anger she felt and cursing them every night before she went to sleep. What was wrong with her? Jim didn’t do anything wrong. He had moved on, plain and simple.

And another idea struck her. (Seriously, this day was totally full of epiphanies. Why the hell could she have figured all of this out ages ago?!) Jim was moving on because Pam didn’t love him. Because the woman he loved, his first choice, was out-of-bounds, off-limits, not interested. Or so he thought. Maybe, just maybe if she could get him alone and tell him exactly how she felt, he would…

’He would what, Pam? Leave his fiancé, the woman he was about to be forever bonded to in less than an hour, to be with you? You are so selfish. He moved on because he doesn’t want you, either. Not because he had to.’ the voice in her head taunted.

But if she could just tell him to let him know she would never ever, ever give up on him, because he was the only one for her! She just had to find the right opportunity, she just had to grow a pair and tell him! If only should had the right opportunity, an open window…

Pam was startled out of her reverie moments later by a soft tap on her shoulder.

“Pam Beesly?” a tentative voice asked behind her, and she turned. In front of her was a very handsome man dressed in an expensive looking black suit with an olive colored tie. He was tall, about six foot, with coiffed black hair and smiling blue eyes. His mouth, however, was more scowling that smiling, however.

“Will? Will Mattera?” she knew it was him; he looked exactly like what she’d picture Karen’s best friend would look like: city, dreamy, a tall-dark-and-handsome type.

“Yeah, that’s me. Uh—nice to meet you.” He stuck out his hand and she shook it. There were no sparks or electrical currents. His palm was actually really sweaty.

“You too. Uh, I guess we should go in…the ceremony’s gonna start soon.” Pam jerked her thumb towards the Church entrance, where a large sign proudly proclaimed “Wedding of James Halpert and Karen Filipelli”. Will nodded and held the door open for her and she thanked him politely, cordially. They were so not making out in the coat room later.

Pam and Will took seats in the very last pew, which Pam didn’t mind at all. Sure she was shoved between some old lady who was rambling on about her pet duck, and the still-scowling Will, but she was the farthest away from where the “happy couple” would be, so it was fine. She did glance to the front, however, to get a glimpse of the family in the front row. Karen’s mother, who looked exactly like her daughter: smooth olive skin and sleek brown hair, was already crying, her husband holding her hand and her sisters clutching handkerchiefs in anticipation.

On Jim’s side, his mother and father were having a whispered discussion that looked harsh, but Pam dismissed it as a trivial disagreement, probably about the reception or something.

“If you’re Karen’s best friend, why aren’t you, you know…in the wedding?” Pam blurted out after about three minutes of awkward silence. The duck lady was trying to show Pam a picture of her grandchildren, and even in her strapless dress she was starting to feel kind of hot. So whatever if she was blunt today. Today, in Pam’s opinion, she could feel whatever she wanted to.

“Oh, um, well…it’s kind of a long story.”

“I’ve got time.” Pam looked up at Will, who’s face had scrunched up into a twisted sort of frown. He looked like he was trying really hard not to…cry? That’s weird, Pam thought, but continued to wait for his reply.

“Yeah, um, I didn’t really want to be. Doesn’t matter. Hey, um, I’m gonna go have a smoke. You want one?” He held out a nearly empty pack of Marlboro Lights but Pam shook her head.

“No, I’m good, thanks. But, um, the ceremony’s about start…” she fiddled with the hem on her dress and dropped her gaze to her lap.

“I’ll be quick.” He replied gruffly, hastily exiting the pew and walking out the front door.

“Uh, okay…” she mumbled as Will dashed out. The duck lady leaned towards her.

“That man is very peculiar.” She whispered, patting Pam’s arm comfortingly. Pam mumbled something and settled back against the pew bench, leaning her head against the wall, letting out an exasperated sigh. She must have zoned out for a few minutes, too, because the next thing she heard was the notorious sound of the organ playing. And what was weird, Will still hadn’t come back.

Everyone stood and turned to look at the bride as she entered, her father on her arm. Pam, on the other hand, wanted to look at Jim, to gauge his reaction. To see if he looked completely taken with his soon-to-be wife as she strode down the aisle in her $3000 wedding gown, her hair in tight up-do and her veil framing her exotic features. Pam had to admit, she really did look very beautiful.

So why wasn’t Jim gazing, lovingly, adoringly, at her like she was the light of his life, his one true love, the ying to his yang?

Why was he staring at her? Her being Pam?!

He looked away hastily when she caught him, and went back to beaming at Karen as she slowly made her way down the aisle. And everyone applauded as she made her way to the front and the guests took their seats again. But Pam was still pretty shell-shocked. On his wedding day, as his bride was walking down the aisle, Jim was absolutely undeniably staring at Pam. What the hell?

And while she was shocked and confused and totally spacing, she made a decision right then and there. To tell him. To tell him soon. She just had to find out when, exactly.

While the priest rambled on in a tired, feeble voice about “unions” and “holy matrimony” Pam tried to block it all out, to stop her heart from twisting into unpleasant positions. She was actually really curious to where Will had gone. After awhile, she decided he either ran away or choked on his cigarette.

Neither of these possible scenarios were correct however, as he slunk back into the pew just as Karen was saying “I do.” And then, another epiphany struck Pam as the next words left the priest’s mouth,

“…speak now or forever hold your peace.”

This was it. Her window. She just had to...had to...

Pam mustered up all the courage she had, and, shutting her eyes tight, tight, tight, she stood.


I object!” One, two, three voices rang out in unison.

End Notes:
Oh my gosh. Whew. You have no idea how awesome it feels to have this up. I know it's really long and really emotionally magnificent, but stay with me here! I think we'll have about one or two more chapters, plus an epilougue. Next up: Well what do you think? :D
chapter six: the wedding part II and "what are you doing?" by gamesetmatch
Author's Notes:


Oh, here we go! I hope everyone enjoys! Everyone who's reviewed already, you guys are incredible and deserve a bajillion yogurt lid metals! (:


Pam mustered up all the courage she had, and, shutting her eyes tight, tight, tight, she stood.

“I object!” One, two, three voices rang out in unison.


Silence. Complete and utter silence. Pam slowly opened her eyes and looked around the hall. Next to her, Will was standing straight as stone, his expression fixed towards the front of the room. His fists were clenched tight, his brow furrowed.

Pam debated what to do next. What she really wanted to do was run away, far away, and never look back. What the hell had possessed her to stand and do this? Why couldn’t she have just let the other two people object, and she could go back to being Pammy Beesly, shy receptionist, not Pam Beesly, wedding objector, possible life ruin-er. Oh boy.

The silence was interrupted first by the priest. “Oh dear!” he uttered. After he spoke, an uproar or hushed whispered rippled through the room.

“Will? What the hell are you doing?!” Karen asked incredulously, and only then did Pam realize that Will was in the midst of stomping towards the front of the room, fists still clenched.

“Karen, you can’t do this! You can’t marry him!” Will had definitely gone into hysterics. He was gesturing wildly to Jim, who wasn’t really paying attention. His gaze, Pam realized, was on her. His brow was furrowed and his eyes dark. He looked…hurt…and troubled…and confused. Okay, this wasn’t one of her more thought out plans, but who cares? She could not let this happen, no effing way. Pam tore her eyes away from Jim and focused her attention again on Will, who was still bumbling and stuttering and trying to grab Karen’s hand.

“What the fuck are you talking about?! This is my wedding!” she shrieked, tears starting flow down her cheeks.

“I know, Kar, I know! B-But…but you can’t marry this guy! He’s not good enough for you!”

Excuse me?!” a voice shrieked from the front. Pam whipped her head around to see who it was and gasped. She was the only other person standing, the third person to shout “I object”, and currently marching towards Karen and Will. Jim was staring at her, his mouth open and slack.

Mom? What’s going on?”

Everyone watching gasped a little, but Jim’s mother kept speaking. Pam took this cue to slowly walk towards the front of the church, her heart was beating like a hummingbird’s.

“Young man, that is my son you are talking about, and if anything, he is much too good for her!” her arms were flailing and she looked as if she was dangerously close to slapping Will in the face.

“Excuse me, lady? What did you just say about my Karen?” he took a step closer to Jim’s mother, who was being dragged back to her seat by a tall, older man with blond hair and Jim’s eyes that Pam assumed was his father.

Let go, Jonathan. This man is way out of line!” she hissed to her husband, who let go and put his hands up in surrender. Pam looked up to see Jim’s reaction, and saw that he was just staring at her, a blank expression on his face. She cleared her throat quietly and looked away.

The priest, who had all but fallen over, took this opportunity to take charge.

“ATTENTIOOOOON!” he shouted, startling everyone and causing a dead silence to fall over the room once again. “Thank you! Now, since apparently we have some people who think this wedding ought to be called off, it’s only fair that we hear what they have to say!”

Pam was shocked that a man that looked to frail could be so….loud.

Will was the first to turn and address the wedding guests.

“Um, hi. My name is William Mattera, and I don’t think this wedding should go through because I-I….” hi voice faltered but he looked back at Karen, who was softly weeping into her hands. “I am in love with the bride.” He turned quickly back to Karen, enveloping her in his arms. She didn’t hug him back, nor did she pull away, she simply just kept sobbing and sobbing and sobbing. After a minute she was sobbing so loudly that her father had to come up and lead her and Will away and to the front pew, where she sat and sobbed and sobbed and sobbed some more.

Jim’s mother had just marched back to her seat, nudging Pam forward as she did. ”Say something!” came a whisper, but Pam wasn’t sure if it was Jim’s mom or her own head talking to her.

“Pam?” Jim’s voice came softly, and she realized he’d been staring the whole time. She walked toward him, grabbing his hands. He winced but didn’t pull away.

“Y-you can’t marry her, Jim. You can’t.” she whispered pleadingly, imploring. He shut his eyes and took a deep, steadying breath.

“Why not? Tell me why not, Pam.” His eyes were still closed, but he gripped her hand tight, tighter, tighter. A tear slipped down her cheek and she went on.

“B-because I love you. I’m in love with you, Jim.” His eyes flew open and he gazed at her, searching her face for a sign that maybe, maybe she was bluffing, and when he didn’t find it, he wrapped his arms around her and she buried her face in his chest. He smelled amazing, like sandalwood and rain and fabric softener and she inhaled deeply.

“Tell me you mean that Pam, please tell me you mean that.” Jim said, his voice shaking, and Pam realized he was crying too.

“I mean it, I do. I love you, Jim. I will always, always love you.” And with a soft gasp he crushed his lips to hers and everything around them, the church, the priest, Karen’s sobs, melted away and Pam thought that she would never, ever feel this amazing again because his lips were soft and delicious and velevety and her whole body was tingly and warm and she felt electric.

When they broke apart Pam was grinning ear to ear, and Jim was stroking her cheekbone with his thumb, warmly, lovingly, and she held him tighter, burying her face again in his chest, thinking that she could never, ever love a man like she loved this one.

“I love you, Jim.” she whispered softly, urgently, tears still slip-sliding gently down her cheeks.

“I love you, too, Pam.” he buried his face in her hair and placed a kiss on top of her head, and she knew that everything was okay.

End Notes:
Whoa! Okay! I hope everyone is happy with this chapter! Review, review, review, or I'll be forced to clamp my hands in a George Forman grill, and we don't want that, right? Next up: The reception!
This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3773