We Gather Together by xoxoxo
Summary: Thanksgiving - as only The Office could celebrate it. Extremely mild spoilers for Frame Toby.
Categories: Jim and Pam, Present Characters: Ensemble
Genres: Fluff, Holiday, Humor, Workdays
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 3707 Read: 8508 Published: November 21, 2008 Updated: December 03, 2008
Story Notes:
Michael wants to celebrate Thanksgiving.  That should be enough of a description for you. 

1. Preparations by xoxoxo

2. Rewrite by xoxoxo

3. Thanksgiving by xoxoxo

Preparations by xoxoxo
Author's Notes:

Michael wants to celebrate Thankgiving.  And there you go.  This is just a taste to set things up.  Also - I can't seem to write anything without some Jim and Pam fluffiness.  So sue me.

I hope you enjoy.

Don't own anything about The Office - or The Brady Bunch for that matter.   

xoxoxo

 

"Kiss me."

Jim turned to find Pam standing next to him.  He hadn't even heard her come in the kitchen.  He stopped stirring his coffee and gazed at her intently.

"Excuse me?"

She moved closer and tugged on his sleeve.  "I mean it.  Kiss me now.  Or tell me a joke.  Do something to remind me why I ever came back here."

Jim smiled, brushing his lips over hers.  Pam frowned as he pulled away.  He grinned wider, his eyes twinkling as he watched her.  "Sorry.  That's all you get until you explain further."

She huffed out a breath.  "Seriously?"

He shrugged in reply.

"So demanding.  Okay.  It's..."

The sound of the blinds clanging on the door cut Pam off.   Jim rubbed a hand over the small of her back as he turned his attention towards the door.

Michael stared at them sighing exaggeratedly.  "Hello lovebirds.  Get yourselves decent.  Conference room.  Pronto."

Pam pleaded at Jim with her eyes.   He laughed as he snagged her hand and led her through the door.  "C'mon.  I promise.  I'll remind you later."

xoxoxo

Michael stood in the front of the room wearing a feathered headdress.  "Giving thanks."  He began.  "It's one of our rights in the Constitution."

"It's not...really."  Jim scratched his chin as he shook his head.

"And so I think it's what we must do.  To celebrate Thanksgiving we are going to have a sort of pageant."

Kelly clapped excitedly.  "Yay!  I have the perfect gown."

"As if you'd have a chance."  Angela muttered under her breath.

"No.  Not that kind of pageant.  I'm talking about a Thanksgiving reenactment."

"Great idea."  Andy's eyes sparkled with excitement.  "I know everything about the first Thanksgiving, considering my family came over on the Mayflower."

Dwight rose and moved to stand next to Michael.  "Michael?  One suggestion.  The first Thanksgiving has been done before.  I propose we reenact a Thanksgiving held during the Civil War."

"I don't think so Dwight."

"I have to insist.  It's perfect.  We could use my farm.  I just happen to have a variety of muskets at my disposal."

Jim turned towards Dwight smiling widely.  "That's...shocking."

"No."  Michael shook his head vehemently.  "I was thinking of more of a Brady-esque Thanksgiving.   In honor of that - we'll be making a short film."

Pam pinched Jim's arm. 

"Ouch!"  Jim turned towards her, his expression a mix of shock and amusement.  "What was that for?"

"This is what I was talking about."  She sighed loudly.

"I have everything scripted."  Michael moved to the table and picked up a pile of papers.  "Pam will play Marcia.  Jim.  You'll be Greg."  He moved to hand Jim a copy but then pulled away quickly.   "Just remember that Pam's your sister now. Well...step-sister so making out is taboo.  Wait.  That might be kind of hot - actually.   Feel free to improvise."

He continued around the room, his voice rising in excitement.  "Angela will be Jan.  Not - like our Jan just...Jan as in Brady.  You're perfect.  Hair of gold.   Plus you've got her expression down.  That's called type-casting.  Speaking of which - Phyllis - you'll be Alice.  Kevin - you're Bobby.  Dwight - you'll be Peter..."

"Am I Cindy?"  Kelly asked expectantly.

"No.  Don't be silly."  Michael explained.  "Meredith is Cindy.  You'll be Pocahontas.  And Oscar? You can play...Pocahontas' brother."

She rolled her eyes and then stared at the paper he'd handed her.  "Michael. I'm not that kind of Indian."

"Question."  Jim raised his hand.  "Who will you be Michael?  Wait.  Don't tell me.  You're one of the Village People."

"No. Jim. I'm not.  I'll be directing.  And starring of course.  I might have a dual role - still hashing that out."  He cleared his throat and raised his voice an octave.  "I suggest you all start thinking about costumes.  We'll meet again tomorrow for a dress rehearsal - oh-nine-hundred hours.  That is all.  You are dismissed." 

Pam continued to sit still as the rest of the room emptied.  Jim nudged her with his elbow.  "C'mon sis.  Lighten up."

She tried to suppress her smile as she sighed.  "I know.  It's just...he's driving me crazy."

"This can't be news to you.  He always drove you crazy."

"It's worse this week somehow.  I never thought I'd say this - but I miss Jan."  

Jim moved to stand and Pam followed smoothing her skirt as she did. 

"Bite your tongue."  He scolded her with his eyes.  "It has nothing to do with Jan.  I think it's just that he really misses Holly."

"Enough so he's making me miserable?" Pam stared at the floor and shuffled her feet a bit.  She met his eyes again and sighed.  "I missed all that.  They were really great together huh?"

"A match made in...well...not heaven exactly but yeah."  Jim shrugged.  "He misses her.  I can't help but be a bit sympathetic to the guy."

Pam searched his face, her own annoyance dissipating as she considered Jim's explanation.  "Okay then.  I guess now we have to work on our costumes."

"There's the spirit.  I'm thinking we search the attic.  I'm guessing the carpeting is not the only thing in the house leftover from the seventies."

She smiled widely as she followed him out the door.  "I'm pretty sure you're right."

Rewrite by xoxoxo
Author's Notes:

Here's the next installment.  I'm polishing the finale but thought I'd post this little filler chapter in the meantime.  I feel like there's nothing too exciting about this little ditty - but I'm determined to finish what I've started - hopefully before Thanksgiving is really here.

I hope you like it anyway. :)

xoxoxo 

 

The door to the office flew open with a bang.  Dwight threw a glare in Pam's direction and hung his coat on the coat tree near her desk.

"What is that?"  Dwight sniffed loudly.  He turned his attention towards Jim. "And why are you dressed like me?"

"That is popcorn."  Jim replied, gesturing towards Dwight with his pen.  "And I am not dressed like you."

"Yes you are."

Jim smoothed down his tie.  "What are you talking about?  I'm not.  I'm dressed - as instructed by Michael - like something out of a seventies sit-com.  Where's your costume?"

Dwight shoved a shopping bag under his desk.  "I'm saving it for later.  And don't try a diversion tactic to fool me.  I'm unfoolable.   You've worn those clothes before.  When you were trying to be me - and failing at it miserably I might add."

Jim shrugged and began to type.  "I don't know what you are talking about."

"First off - that shirt's the entirely the wrong color mustard."  Dwight muttered under his breath as he took his seat.

"Michael?  The toaster isn't working."  Phyllis called from the kitchen.  "And we're almost out of butter."

Michael bounded out of his office, sighing loudly, clearly flustered.  "Well.  Have your boyfriend fix it."

Phyllis stuck her nose in the air as she replied.  "He's my husband and he deals with refrigerators - not toasters..."

"Same difference."  Michael sighed louder.  "Go to the store then."

"Hey."  Pam took a steadying breath and tapped him on the shoulder. "Anything I could do to help?"

Jim flashed a wide smile in her direction.  She gave him a pointed look in reply.

"Sure.  You can help.  You can help me understand why isn't everything ready yet!?"  Michael threw up his hands, the beret he wore almost flying off in the process.

"That's a nice hat Michael."  Jim remarked. 

"Thank you."

"Who are you supposed to be exactly? Let me guess. Pepe Le Pew?"

"No Jim..."  Michael began.  "I'm the director.  This is what directors wear."

Jim's mouth twisted in disbelief.  "Is it really?"

"Yes. Really."  

Pam tried to keep her voice level as she interrupted.  "Michael maybe we're not ready because you changed you mind since yesterday.   We're all just trying to keep up..."

"I can do what I want.  I'm the director.  Creative license Pam."  He walked towards the kitchen in a huff.

Pam shrugged at Jim.  "I tried." 

"Valiant effort."

"It's a shame.  I was all set to play Marcia before the rewrite.  I was even going to practice with the football."  She sat on the edge of Jim's desk, tugging at the hem of her short plaid skirt as she did. 

Jim stole a quick glance at her legs before he blinked and replied.  "He's a mess.  Nice tights by the way."

She tugged at the skirt again and blushed slightly.  "Thanks.  And I know.  He's all over the place."  Pam's face brightened as if she'd had a brilliant idea.  "I think you should talk to him."

"Who?  What?  Me??"

"Yes. You."

"Talk to him about Holly?"

"Yes."

Jim chuckled and shook his head.  "No thanks."

"I'm trying here because of you."  Pam gave him a look of disappointment.  "What happened to your sympathy?"

"Hey.  I said I was sympathetic - not a glutton for punishment."

Pam's voice softened as she nudged Jim's shoulder.  "Seriously.  I've been thinking a lot about what you said.  Maybe it's exactly what he needs."

Jim regarded her closely as he considered her request.  "Let me think about it."

"You do that."  She smiled as she pushed off his desk and went back to reception.

xoxoxo

Pam stood on a chair hanging streamers from the ceiling.  She reached down to grab the piece of scotch tape Angela offered. 

She gave Angela a half smile.  "That's a beautiful top you're wearing."

Angela's brow furrowed as she gazed down at the high necked lace blouse she wore.  "Thank you."

"It's very festive and pilgrim-like." Pam's smile grew.  "It's a great costume."

"What are you trying to say?"

Pam's eyes widened as she fought to explain.  "Well it is Thanksgiving..."

"I'm not dressing up for Michael's ridiculous reenactment.  This is exactly what I was planning on wearing today.  I always try and dress proper and ladylike.  Unlike some people who think a swatch of cloth suffices as a skirt."

"Okay..."  Pam self consciously tugged on her skirt as she shook her head and turned her attention back to the task at hand.

"I've got what I could manage as far as buttered toast and the pretzel sticks."  Phyllis called out as she entered the conference room.  She held a basket filled with toast slices and bags of pretzels from the vending machine.  "I think we're all set except - Pam - we still need your jelly beans."

Pam nodded.  "I'll go get them."

"I've got the popcorn."  Kelly sighed heavily as she placed a large bowl in the center of the table.  "Do we really have to do this?"

Michael cleared his throat as he walked in.  "Kelly.  Just stop complaining.  I don't know what your people do but this is an American office and we're going to have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner."

Kevin poked his head in the room.  "Is the food ready?"

"No.  Not yet - Kevin."  Phyllis replied.

"This is so not fair.  I'm starving.  I've smelled the popcorn for hours but haven't been able to eat any."

"Yes.  I'm sure you're only mere minutes away from malnutrition."  Angela muttered.

Michael ignored them all.  "The food is not important.  The people are important.  Charlie Brown had all his friends around him for Thanksgiving - because that's what the holiday is about.   It's much better than the Brady Bunch because your friends are also your family."  His voice rose in excitement as he continued.  "You know - I don't think I've thought this through enough.  We could have just done one of the Friends episodes.  You know the one where they put the turkey on their heads?  That was great TV."

Pam hopped off the chair.  "Michael.  Here's a thought.  Why don't we...we could just have the party without having to reenact anything..."

"NO.  We need to do this.  To film something.  I need to have something to show her..."

Pam's eyes widened.  "Show her?  Her...who?"

Michael waved her off.  "Never mind.  Tell everyone to gather around.  I'm going to get the camera.  Filming starts in five minutes."

"Sure." Pam nodded as she followed him out the door and headed straight for Jim's desk.

She stood by impatiently waiting for Jim to finish a call.  The moment he hung up she started to speak.

"You were right."

"Of course I was."  He smiled up at her.  "What was I right about this time?"

"Michael.  And Holly.  He's making us go through all this to send her the video.  I think he's trying to win her back by showing her what's she's missing."

"Hmmm."  Jim nodded his head.  "Not a bad idea."

"Really?"

"You didn't see them together.  I forgot. You missed the ethics presentation she gave right?"

"Yes. I did."

"Well if you'd seen it you'd understand.  Holly and Michael operate on - like - an equal plane."  He explained.  "She's like...his...I don't know...twin or something.  That doesn't quite sound right...but close enough."

"Okay that's scary.  Honestly?"

"Honestly.  And she'll probably love his little skit.  Might be what he needs to get her back.  And so...I think we should help him."  Jim stood, shoved his hands in his pockets and shrugged.  "Ten bucks we get out early if we do."

Pam's face filled with relief.  "You think so?  That would be great.  I'd have time to bake for tomorrow."

"Whoa.  Watch out Betty Crocker." He teased.  "Still going to try that pie huh?"

"Yes."  She looked at him smugly.  "I am.  And it's going to be delicious.  Better than Marci's."

"I'm sure Tom will tell you if it isn't."

"I should do something to his slice."  Pam replied.  "Show him what a real prank is like."

"Wow.  Fighting words."  He chuckled at the look on her face.  "Go get 'em Beesly."

Pam sighed and twisted her hands a bit.  "You know - I probably won't prank him.  It's the first time I'll be at Thanksgiving with your family.  I want to make a good impression."

"Well you can relax about that.  You've already made a great impression."

"Really?"  Her voice sounded so earnest it made him smile.

"Yes really."  He assured her, brushing a stray curl off her cheek as he did.  "Now c'mon.  Sooner we do this - the sooner we're home."

Thanksgiving by xoxoxo
Author's Notes:

 

Sorry for the delay.  Just think of this as some (hopefully yummy) Thanksgiving leftovers.  I'm thankful to all of you for reading along.  I hope you like the ending to my silly fluffy tale.

Until next time!

xoxoxo

 

"Settle in my friends."  Michael stood at the head of the conference room table, now filled with all the "trimmings" he'd requested.   He was wearing a pilgrim style had and adjusted it as he waited until Stanley, who'd dragged his feet coming into the room, reluctantly took his seat. 

"Dwight are you filming?"

"Yes. Of course."  He replied.

"You might want to take the lens cap off there."  Jim remarked.

Dwight grumbled as he quickly rectified the problem.

"Alrighty."  Michael began. "We will now reenact the decade's old tradition of saying what each of us is thankful for.   Starting with..."

"I'll go."  Andy scrambled out of his seat.  "Since my ancestors came over on the Mayflower and were actually at the first Thanksgiving..."

"Pilgrims."  Dwight rolled his eyes.  "A little late to the party there Bernard.  Everyone knows the Vikings were here first.  It's why we celebrate Leif Ericson Day."

"It's why you celebrate Leif Ericson Day."  Jim said with a grin.  "And I thought you were German?"

"Shows what you know." Dwight scoffed.  "I also have a substantial amount of Norse blood."

"So you're saying you're descended from horses?"  Jim looked at him confused.  "How is that possible?"

"I said Norse.  Not horse.  Pay attention.  And just so you know.  I've defeated many a centaur when playing Tomb Raider."

Jim nodded his head.  "Thank you for that piece of completely useless information."

Michael sighed loudly.  "Are you two finished?  Can we just..."  He rubbed a hand over his face.  "Andy.  Continue please.  What are you thankful for?"

Andy stood straighter as he replied.  "I'm thankful for my lovely lady.  My petite flower.  My beautiful bride-to-be.  And I'm thankful for candied yams.  My favorite dish on Thanksgiving. My Aunt Enid makes the best ones."

"Best candied yams I ever had were in 1965.  Haight-Ashbury Soup Kitchen on Waller Street."  Creed remarked.

"I'm thankful that I'll have actual turkey and mashed potatoes and candied yams when I have dinner on Thursday and not just stupid popcorn and pretzels."  Kevin added with a very displeased look on his face.  He then promptly took a large handful of popcorn and stuffed it in his mouth.

"Disgusting."  Angela muttered.  "I'm thankful the people I spend Thanksgiving with have acceptable table manners."

"I'm thankful I didn't actually have to wear a stupid Pocahontas outfit today."  Kelly chimed in.

"I'm thankful Jake will be out of my hair and at his father's this Thanksgiving."  Meredith paused for a moment before she added, "And for two-for-one nights at the bar at the Holiday Inn"

Phyllis' voice was full with pride as she spoke.  "I'm thankful that Bob Vance ordered our entire meal from Wegman's and I won't have to lift a finger this Thanksgiving."

"This is great.  This is exactly what our forefathers did.  Everyone sharing like this."  Michael said with a nod.  He then shook his head as he gazed over at Toby.  "No.   Put your hand down.   You don't need to go.  We know that you're thankful to have your job back.   Oh and you can consider that your Christmas present too."

Toby sighed.  "I actually don't celebrate..."

"Hanukah.  Kwanza.  Whatever.  You're done for the year."  He turned towards Pam.  "Pamcakes.  What are you thankful for?"

"I'm thankful that I found out I hate computers."  She turned towards Jim and grinned widely.

"That's a stupid thing to be thankful for."  Dwight's brow wrinkled as he regarded her closely.  "Considering your entire job involves computers." 

"Not my entire job."  Pam snapped back.

"Agreed."  Jim reached under the table and took Pam's hand in his.   "You know what?  I am thankful that Pam hates computers as well."

She gave his hand a squeeze and smiled wider.

Dwight shook his head.  "You two deserve each other."

"Thank you Dwight."  Pam replied.

"That wasn't a compliment."  He muttered to himself as he went back to filming.   "Hey.  Where'd Michael go?"

The entire staff turned their attention to the front of the room.   Michael - it seemed - had disappeared. 

Pam looked at Jim who gave her a shrug.    She stood as she said. "I'll go look for him."

"I'll help you." Jim followed her out of the conference room.

They found him in his office, his hat perched on top of his computer monitor, his head on his desk.

Pam knocked softly on his door.  "You okay Michael?"

His voice was muffled as he responded.  "I'm fine."

"You don't look fine."  Jim squinted at him.

"It's just...it's the holidays."

"We know."  They replied in unison.

"And even the word makes me think of her.  You know what?  That's what I'll call the time she was here.  The Holly Days.  And sadly, there are no more Holly Days for me."

Jim walked over to stand beside Michael.  "Nashua isn't the end of the world."

"You have no idea what you are talking about Jim."  He sat up, his mouth set in a frown.  "We talked it over and we decided.  It's too hard to do the long distance thing."

"I have no idea?"  Jim sighed.  "Don't you remember?  Pam and me?  We just had to deal with that.  And don't get me wrong - it was tough - but we got through it.  You could give it a shot.  If she means that much to you you owe it to yourself to try."

"I agree."  Pam piped in.  "If you miss her you should call her.  Try and make it work.  If you don't you'll never stop feeling like this.  You'll feel like this until you can finally tell her how you feel.  Trust me on that."

"Today would have been so much better if she was here to plan it with me."  Michael picked up his hat and ran a finger over the brim. 

"I'm sure it would have been."  Jim nodded.

"We could have stuck with the whole Brady thing.  Maybe even had a sing-along to Sunshine Day."

"Great song."  Pam smiled.  "I actually have it on my iPod."

"Do you really?"  Jim looked over at her, completely amused.

Color flooded to her cheeks.  "Shut up." 

Jim decided to let it slide for the moment.  He'd get back to teasing her about it later.  "The point is Michael - you either need to try again with Holly or try and move on.  Both of those things will be equally hard, but you'll never know unless you try."

Michael looked completely lost. "How?"

Jim shrugged.  "I don't know.  Calling her would be a start."

"I can place the call for you right now if you want."  Pam offered.

His face brightened slightly.  "It would be nice to hear her voice."

"There you go.  So?"  Jim gave his shoulder a little squeeze. 

"Okay.  I'll call her."

"Great!"  Pam smiled brightly as she walked towards reception.  Jim moved towards the door.

"Hey Jim?"

"Yep?"

"You know what I'm thankful for?" He paused for a moment, placing his hat back on his head and smiling.  "I'm thankful you're my friend."

Jim swallowed audibly as he nodded and gave him a grin.  "Don't mention it."   He heard Michael's intercom buzz as he pulled the door shut behind him.

Pam was replacing the receiver when he reached her desk.  "Do you think it will work?"

"We'll see.  At least they're talking."  He picked up a pen from the cup resting on her desk and dropped it down again.

Pam took a steadying breath as she gazed up at him.  "Maybe they can learn from our mistakes." 

"That would be kind of nice actually."  It took him a second to meet her eyes but when he did he smiled softly.

"It would be."  She agreed grinning back at him.

"Now that our good deed for the year is done..."  Jim's voice turned serious.  "...we need to have a talk." 

"About what?"

"Hand over your iPod."

"What?" Pam blinked in surprise.  "Why?"

"Because we absolutely cannot get married until I check all your playlists."

"Stop it."

"I'm serious.  This might be a deal breaker Pam."

She picked up her iPod and handed it to him. "I'll let you look at it but if you find anything objectionable it's just too bad.  I don't care.  You're stuck with me."

"You're lucky." He laughed as he took it from her.  "There's no place I'd rather be."

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=4138