ab ovo usque ad mala by bebitched
Summary: A random collection of drabbles/ficlets too short to warrent their own posts. Updated with three drabbles (#23-25) on 11/19.
Categories: Jim and Pam, Other Characters: Andy, Angela, Dwight, Dwight/Angela, Jim, Jim/Pam, Karen, Katy, Kelly, Pam, Pam/Other, Pam/Roy, Roy, Stanley
Genres: Angst, Drabble, Fluff, Holiday, Humor, Married, Romance, Slash, Steamy, Travel
Warnings: Adult language, Explicit sexual content, Mild sexual content
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: No Word count: 5435 Read: 40590 Published: March 15, 2010 Updated: November 18, 2010
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. hypothermia never brought us closer by bebitched

2. there are some better uses for the lasso of truth by bebitched

3. and then she smiled at me, me and my drum by bebitched

4. solution to the copious toaster conundrum by bebitched

5. wrapped in pink paper and tied with glittery twine (or epiphanies for friday afternoons) by bebitched

6. cut me a slice of that pumpkin pie, pumpkin by bebitched

7. a compact history of infinity by bebitched

8. kissed you on the cheek and gave you flowers out of season by bebitched

9. never so much blood pulled through my veins by bebitched

10. i wrote a valley winter song to play for you by bebitched

11. strawberry constellations by bebitched

12. paint me a color world by bebitched

13. nomenclature by bebitched

14. underwater, i wrote "drowning" (i used to be such a good good swimmer) by bebitched

15. you and onions make me cry by bebitched

16. elephants by bebitched

17. solitaire by bebitched

18. so this is the new year by bebitched

19. karen verus the cooking class by bebitched

20. city of love in miniature by bebitched

21. when life gives you lemons it makes a great projectile by bebitched

22. be true to your school by bebitched

23. how to learn history in cubes by bebitched

24. chiromancy by bebitched

25. don't think i don't know sympathy by bebitched

hypothermia never brought us closer by bebitched
Author's Notes:
For the porn battle so, you know... there's a warning for porn. Takes place during Jim and Pam's stay at Dwight's in "Money".
“I’m cold.”

“How? You’ve got a bajillion blankets over there.”

“Umm, maybe because this place doesn’t appear to have central heating?”

“Point.”

“What are you doing?”

“Pushing the beds together.”

“Oh. Why didn’t we think of that before?”

“Probably because this situation feels strangely like a co-ed sleepover and we didn’t want to get grounded.”

“Mmm-hmm.”

“Hey! That’s just cruel. Your toes are like stubby little icicles.”

“But your thigh is so warm.”

“So you decided to punish it?”

“I can think of other ways to get toasty. If you’d prefer?”




“Oh! Oh, yeah. Righ-ri-right there.”

“Shhh.”

“Shh? Really?”

“I don’t want Dwight to come busting in here because he’s convinced the room is infested with raccoons. I think that would be scarring for all involved.”

“Wait. Are you saying my sex noises resemble those of a woodland creature?”

“Umm… no?”

“Goodnight.”

“Oh come on, Pam, don’t turn away. I think it’s cute.”

“Oh yeah? Maybe you should go find Rocky or Thumper to hump instead.”

“Nice rhyme.”

“Thank you.”

“Just… please come back? I’m delirious with exhaustion; I can’t be held accountable for my words.”

“Jim! Stop that, it tickles! Stop- d-don’t stop. Oh god.”

“How are your toes now?”

there are some better uses for the lasso of truth by bebitched
Author's Notes:
Pam/Karen. NC17. For the porn battle.
When Pam was growing up, in the days when she’d fold herself up into an origami shape in from of the television on Saturday mornings, she discovered that she definitely had a weakness for the superheroes. Something about stopping bullets and tying up criminals got her little thirteen year old mind racing.

But that’s not the unusual part.

See, here’s the thing: it wasn’t Clark Kent’s broad shoulders miraculously fitting into that phone booth, ripping off his white collared shirt and slipping into something a bit more comfortable, that happened to be blue and yellow and red and spandex, that made her melt. It wasn’t Batman’s blue, pointy ears, or Aquaman’s boyishly mussed blonde hair. Frankly, she though the rest of the Super Friends were a little lame. No, her obsession lay within a gravity-defying red and gold-plated bustier, star-spangled boy-shorts and a pair of knee-high, red pleather boots.

Wonder Woman was confident to a level that Pam could only idolize, held her own among the big-name boys of the future Justice League. And she was hot. Whether in the form of a sketched cartoon or in the live action shoes of Lynda Carter, Pam found herself practically suctioned to the screen.

All this, of course, is to explain why, when Karen walks into the Halloween party in a painfully familiar leotard, you won’t think less of Pam for flushing strawberry pink and squeezing her thighs together.

All of Karen’s thick, dark hair has been tussled into chunky waves and is being held back by a metallic headband. Never has that red star seemed more like a bulls eye, flashing in the light like a huge, neon sign: fuck me.

Of course it isn’t until two hours and three shots of liquid courage later, with one hand on the bathroom counter for balance and one pushing aside the scrap of blue fabric between Karen’s thighs, that Pam gets the advantage. She’s just beginning to curse the functionality of one-pieces when Karen leans her head back into the mirror, making their reflections shake like the tremors running up her legs.

“You know,” Karen breathes, a desperate hand tugging the tie around Pam’s neck to pull her closer, “you’ll probably think it’s silly, but I always had a thing for Annie Hall. Something about wide-legged khakis and that black vest and uhg-” she grunts as Pam’s fingers finally stop making the rounds and thrust into her.

Pam giggles, simultaneously tracing the gold etching on Karen’s breasts.

“You don’t say.” 
 
and then she smiled at me, me and my drum by bebitched
Author's Notes:

Angela/Pam.

Drunk Angela is a fascinating specimen. Her words slip and slide together, like honey on ice, and her hips loosen from their rigid hold, swaying just slightly with her steps and-

Wait. Back up you say? Angela? Drunk? Okay, so maybe this requires somewhat of an explanation.

Item #1: The office Christmas party.

Item #2: The bowl of eggnog, which maybe, sort of, could have been tampered with by a certain red-headed employee.

Item #3: Pam’s hidden smirk as Angela ladles portion number three of said spiked eggnog into her red plastic cup.

Maybe she’s going to hell for not warning her but, hey, she’s having fun. And it definitely pays off as Angela drunk-stumbles into Pam’s lap, spilling a little milky white and drowned nutmeg onto her crimson turtleneck. Angela, ever Miss. Manners even when intoxicated, insists on accompanying Pam to the bathroom to help her rub out the stain. Even Pam has to chuckle at that one, and she checks for Angela’s horny-tell… oh yeah. Her fingers haven’t left the base of her neck since she righted herself on the couch and eyed the stain while licking her lips. She’s easy to read if you’ve thumbed through her dictionary.

She’s barely got the bathroom door closed and latched before she’s wearing Angela like a coat, arms wrapped tight around her from behind.

Angela’s lips taste like rum and her hands are sure as they find the waist of Pam’s skirt, slipping it far enough down on her hips so as to un-tuck her sweater and wrestle it free. They’re moving until suddenly they’re not, and Pam has to glance down at Angela giggling at her haphazard position on the couch they both apparently forgot was there. Pam takes out her little red earrings, the ones she wears every year, and drops them with a soft plink-plink onto the counter before turning to find Angela sprawled across the florally upholstery. Unfortunately for them both, her head is tilted at an odd angle that only babies in car seats or sufficiently drunk people could find comfortable enough to doze off in. In short, she’s asleep.

Pam sighs good-naturedly, running the pads of her fingers over Angela’s forehead and down her cheek to cup her neck, maneuvering it back into a slightly less painful posture.

There’s always tomorrow. And three days of vacation spent in bed being put to very good use.

Believe her. Pam will make sure of that.
solution to the copious toaster conundrum by bebitched
Author's Notes:
"I got them a toaster. They called off the wedding and gave the toaster back to me. I tried to return the toaster to the store and they said they no longer sold that kind of toaster. so now my house has got two toasters." Stanley finds a way to unload a certain something.
When the mail comes that Saturday afternoon, Stanley flips through each piece, a monotone voice ticking off each one. Daughter’s suspiciously hefty credit card bill. Newsletter he never signed up for and doesn’t care about. Reminder for his annual check-up at the dentist. And… oh.

Stanley chuckles to himself. He snickers as he opens the envelope and as he RSVPs. He chortles as his wife wraps up the three-year-old box, as she places the tape strategically and fluffs the pre-tied bow. He laughs right up to the table of wedding gifts, and as he congratulates the happy couple.

Jim and Pam smile, glancing suspiciously at each other from the corners of their eyes, as he says cheerily: “I hope you needed a toaster.”
wrapped in pink paper and tied with glittery twine (or epiphanies for friday afternoons) by bebitched
Author's Notes:

 

Kelly/Andy.

 

It was at about 5:02 on a Tuesday afternoon, as Andy was helping me slide on my pink fuzzy coat, discussing the weekend’s plans (with each other) that it hits me, like a diamond ring or a Pepsi truck (because it totally kicks Coke’s ass) or running into Britney Spears at Starbucks, all bald and babyless and sad. Wait, what was I talking about? Oh right…

“Oh my God! We’re, like, dating.”

Andy’s face fell, “Is that… not… okay?”

“Well… no. Not really.”

His face scrunched up in pained confusion.

"Wait. Explain double negatives to me again?”

My eyes rolled.

“It’s okay we’re dating Andy, geez.”

Andy grinned, wiping his forehead and nodding.

“Groovy.”

I nudged him out the door.

“You’re such a dork.”

He took me by the arm and I’ll admit, I totally swooned.

“I’m cool with that.”

cut me a slice of that pumpkin pie, pumpkin by bebitched
Author's Notes:

 

Karen/Pam. Pam and Karen attempt to make a pumpkin pie. Some aspects turn out better than others.

 

“It’s burnt.”

“No, no, it’s just… Cajun.”

“How very culturally expansive of us.”

Pam places her hands on her hips, her expression stern but her lips twitching. Karen snorts.

“Okay, okay. We’ll just cut bits of the crust off where it’s the worst.” She angles her body toward the counter of their small kitchen, already in repair mode and her periphery blocked by still-lingering smoke. Their mangled fire alarm beeps weakly from the trash. “Hand me that knife?”

Instead, she feels Pam’s arms circle her from behind, fingers spread wide and warm over her ribcage and a chin resting on her shoulder.

“How about we let it cool first, yes?”

Her lips dance softly within the dip between her collarbone and her neck. Karen shivers as Pam’s curls tickle just behind her ear and she feels the wet of her tongue on her skin.

“Okay,” Karen breathes out between unmoving lips, Pam already walking them backward toward the living room couch, “You’ve convinced me.”

They end up covering the holes in the crust with whipped cream and their flushed cheeks behind the cupped hands of their mittens.

a compact history of infinity by bebitched
Author's Notes:

 

Angela/Pam.

It’s as if a million moments are occurring just inside this one, pressed tight together and spinning tiny spider fractures from the pressure. First-day cardigans and last calls at Poor Richards and cautious smiles hidden inside disapproving lips when her engagement ring disappeared, leaving her finger as naked and pale as virgin bones. But that was the last time you’d seen the words “holy matrimony” preceded by Pam’s name in elegant script on cream stock. (You weren’t lying when you’d said it wasn’t your taste.) Last time you’d been given a stay of execution, another chance. And it’s just that-

Pam is stepping up to the front of the altar (Which is wrong. This can’t be happening yet. Aren’t you supposed to walk slowly up the aisle in tiny two-steps?) and suddenly you can’t breathe. You can’t breathe and your dress itches at back of your neck and your heart just… hurts. You could invent a million different ways to say it, elaborate visions of ice picks or cliffs or a million sharp knives, but in the end broken is broken.

She’s beautiful, you think. A vision in white, flowers held protectively over her blossoming stomach and hair pinned up in curls. But it’s not for you.

(She was never for you.)

The past and present and future are on a collision course and you can see it, everything, at the moment of impact, the sound of it all crashing together sounding strangely like your own breath rattling quick and quietly panicked in your lungs. Desolation looks something like this: they’ll say ‘I do’ and have beautiful children and love each other and grow old together and-

Your chest constricts around another painful heartbeat. Time slows down just long enough for you to watch the woman you’re in love with marry her second chance. You just wish you’d taken yours when you had it.
kissed you on the cheek and gave you flowers out of season by bebitched
Author's Notes:

 

Katy/Pam. Pam and Katy revert back to high school antics.

 

Katy’s the type of girl guys dream about. The kind that people throw pebbles against windows for, climb trees and stumble through window frames to get to. The kind you’d ask to sock hops or give a carnation to or meet her imposing daddy for. In short: Katy’s everything Pam always wanted to be in high school. Behind her arty, plastic frames and paint-stained jeans, she just wanted to be liked.

Which is why the situation they’re currently in is particularly ironic.

“Just move… a little to the left… put your leg…” Pam grasps Katy’s ankle to help her maneuver her thigh over Pam’s hip, but in the process of trying to get leverage knocks her head against the door handle. “Ouch.”

“You okay?” Katy questions breathlessly, running her purple-painted fingers through Pam’s wild hair.

“Fine. I’m just-“ She scoots back and up, so that her back is resting against the car door and Katy’s in her lap. Her hands run rivers up Katy’s jean-clad thighs, her thumb-nails catching against the inseams of the fabric. “Maybe we should go somewhere else. I feel like a horny teenager afraid to get caught by Mom making out at home.”

“But this is fun!” Katy whines with a persuasive lilt.

Pam can just make out the scarred skyline pocked by stars through the front windshield, the blanket they were using to keep warm abandoned in the front seat when Katy declared they could make their own heat. An owl hoots academically and the autumn leaves shift, restless.

“Come on,” Katy husks in her ear, “Don’t you want to see how far you can get with the captain of the cheerleading squad.”

And Pam giggles because they gave out prizes for that kind of crap in high school too. Just slip her a letterman’s jacket and call her quarterback.

So just for the record: all the way.

never so much blood pulled through my veins by bebitched
Author's Notes:

 

Karen/Pam. Pam and Karen sit in the back row on a Movie Monday.

 

 

It’s movie Monday again. And it isn't the same as last week and the week before. Even though Michael still makes her pop five bags of popcorn that no one ever eats. And though everyone in the office has a cautious slump to their shoulders as they lug themselves into the conference room, caught between being annoyed by their boss’ forced fun and giddiness at getting a break from their droll work day. (It’s a tie.)

Because this time Karen’s sitting next to her in the staccato dark and she’s suddenly hyper-aware of the placement of her arm. How often Karen shifts in her seat. Every time her breath hitches at something surprising in the film. Pam’s so distracted that she doesn’t even notice what they’re watching until someone gets their throat slit and the cough syrup blood runs down the screen.

“Oh, eww.” She groans under her breath, closing her eyes tight and trying to dispel the image, giving her head a little shake. Someone screams, piercing and panicked, through the crappy television speakers, and something grabs a hold on her arm in a vice grip. Her head whips to the side, and there’s Karen holding on for dear life, face as white as, well… an Italian sheet.

Pam settles a comforting arm around Karen’s shoulders, and if she were a teenaged boy she’d probably be thinking how this is the perfect opportunity to “accidentally” feel her up. She’s actually not really sure if that’s not what she’s thinking, despite her age and gender. If opportunity knocks…

She knew there was a reason they chose to sit in the back row.

But she’s more focused on the way Karen’s heavy breathing evens out at their contact of skin-on-fabric-on-fabric-on-skin, and how she nestles further into the crook of her arm. How the whole top half of her body is bridging armrests to lay her head on Pam, and how she doesn’t really mind being used as a pillow because she’s pretty sure the tightness in her chest has nothing to do with Karen’s weight.

Another would-be-heroine bites the dust on screen as Pam lets out a contented sigh.


 

 

i wrote a valley winter song to play for you by bebitched
Author's Notes:

 

Angela/Pam. Snow angels.

 

The snow forms miniature mountains around them, a growing valley where their arms drift side to side. If Pam had to guess this morning where she’d be on her break, she’s about 98% sure she wouldn’t have said lying in the snow with Angela. But the blonde is sprawled out passively beside her, every few minutes making a soft sound that could be mistaken for contentment if she isn’t careful.

And for some reason all Pam can think about is how she’d used the phrase “knock on wood” once, and how Angela had accused her of witchcraft. It seems so at odds with this quietness. This gentle existence. It makes her wonder how Angela could be so polar. Like how breath is warm huffed through an open mouth, but cold through pursed lips.

She experimentally breathes out wide and hot, watching as the air crystallizes into a fog just above her nose.

Maybe Angela’s just trying to save her soul, or some such thing, even if Pam is fairly certain her own words are on the whole more gentile than Angela’s.

But Angela doesn’t tell her she’s going to hell. Or that God is going to strike her down. She doesn’t even speak at all. Their girl time coffee talk presents itself in her memory and she wonders if maybe she’s the only girl Angela knows under the age of forty.

Angela’s actual breath humidifies the side of Pam’s neck just seconds before she scoots in close, her grey, wool coat pressing up tight to Pam’s arm. The snow compacts, shuffles into another bank by their feet and hair, top and bottom, and Pam turns her head just slightly to ask something pertaining to just what she thinks she’s doing (what they’re doing) but Angela’s lips silence her.

So maybe it’s not just a friend Angela needs.

Her hand hovers over Pam’s poofy winter coat before settling on her chest, an approximation of where her breast could, might, possibly be under all those layers, and Pam sighs even if she can’t really feel much more than the pressure of her tiny, pale hand.

It’s the gesture that counts. 
 

strawberry constellations by bebitched
Author's Notes:

 

Katy/Pam. Post-Casino Night.

 

Her lip gloss smells like strawberries. Pam can taste it when Katy kisses her in the dimly lit hallway outside of the ladies’ room at Poor Richard’s, as it leaves a sticky trail down her neck, over the hill and valley of her collarbone, down to the neckline of her shirt.

“I’m drunk.”

Pam’s not sure if it’s an excuse or an invitation, even as the words leave her own mouth in a slurred breath, but suddenly Katy can’t stop giggling and it’s infectious.

“No, no really.” She manages to choke out between bursts of laughter, “I don’t get drunk that often but when I do…” Pam’s abruptly mesmerized by the shine of Katy’s mouth, and she only realizes the redhead is talking when her lips form the syllables of her name.

“What?”

“You’re silly, Pammy. I asked if you wanted to share a cab home.” The ‘o’ in home gets stuck in her throat for a second, and it’s almost enough time for Pam to realize that it doesn’t bother her so much when Katy calls her Pammy, even if she probably got it from Roy. Ass. Stupid finally-set-a-date-at-the-wrong-time ass.

She’s explaining all this in jumbled words as they stumble into the tiny yellow car of a taxi, and she only remembers that Katy told the driver just one address as Katy is opening the door to her apartment.

“Shhh,” Katy hushes when Pam giggles at the realization. She makes exaggerated tip-toe motions across the living room.

“Do you have a roommate?” Pam whispers.

“No.” Katy declares rather loudly, flicking on the hall light and blinding them both.

Pam collapses into her leather couch, wiggling around amidst the squeaky protests of the material to get comfortable. Katy’s thigh ends up over her own, somehow.

Her head falls back, Katy’s face just a breath away. Their noses brush and Pam begins to count to constellation of freckles across her cheeks.

“Kiss me?” Pam asks softly, and she does. She kisses her and her hand inches up her skirt, and she can’t even find in her the fidelity to stop her when her fingers slip into her cotton underwear.

She’s engaged. She should care that this is the second person’s lips becoming familiar with hers in the last week. Her second-hand glossy lips should be forming the words stop, I can’t, any one of the previous denials.

“Right there,” works too.

Roy doesn’t notice when she comes home smelling like strawberries.

paint me a color world by bebitched
Author's Notes:

 

Karen/Pam. A sunday morning in new york

 

Small studio apartments fill with sunlight nearly as quickly as they fill with oven heat, like water from an over-flowing bathtub. Pam watches the parallel lines of morning’s fingers reach into their bedroom, pressing thumbs into corners and drifting down the walls.

Karen is usually an early riser, with Sunday mornings being the only exception. Not even black coffee and a grape jelly doughnut will rouse her from her comatose state, ten hours since they fell asleep, satiated and sticky, last night. Karen’s back is bare, one arm shoved under the pillow and the other crooked above her head, an invitation for something Pam hasn’t decided on yet.

It strikes her like her muse would if she was something tangible, like inspiration and genius on a small, quiet scale.

Pam swings her legs over the edge of the bed, letting them drift like clock pendulums whispering time, before pressing them down onto the wood floors and padding over to her easel. Chartreuse and violet and sienna and scarlet fisted in her hand, Pam kneels down on the bedspread. She dabs a little auburn in her palm, placing a possessive handprint on Karen’s shoulder.

The Brooklyn Bridge where their eyes caught in traffic spans her lower back in indigo; train tracks just like the ones they first kissed under weave over her spin in red. Red like passion and love and the blood she’d metaphorically bleed if Karen ever said done. Green from Central Park and yellow like the cowardice that postponed the meeting of you and me to make us. Little polka-dots of orange, each for another sunset that predicts a sunrise where they’ll still be here, like this, together.

Karen sighs out an awake little breath, adjusting her shoulders; not enough to make the paint smear. Pam sits back on her heels. She surveys her work and admires the woman beneath it, the woman that is it. She waits for a response with baited breath.

But Karen smiles, grins even, blinking out sleep and motioning her closer.

“Morning.” 
 

nomenclature by bebitched
Author's Notes:

 

Jim/Pam. Post-finale.

“What about Eugene?”

“What about him? Is he finally being promoted to assistant to the assistant to the manager at Wal-Mart?”

“Robert.”

“Bob, really? Jeffrey.”

“And you made fun of my Robert suggestion?”

“Thomas.”

“Too old fashioned.”

“Adam.”

“Too creationist.”

“Then Noah’s out. Oliver.”

“Too orphan-y.”

“Copernicus.”

“Too long. What about- what?”

“Your objection was that it was too long? Not that it was too 15th-century-heliocentrist?”

Pam glances over at him from the passenger seat, a snarky smile on her lips.

“We could call him Ernie for short.”

Jim’s lips twist up and she giggles.

“I’m sure he and Burt will be very happy together.”

The red light clicks on and he slows to a stop. He glances over at Pam. With two hands resting over her belly, she grins down at the very slight swelling there. Her lips softly form around the words ‘hello there, baby’.

And suddenly he needs to kiss her like he needs to breathe. He pulls over slowly to the side of the road, ignoring the parking meter flashing expired and the honk of dismay from somewhere far away, so that he can capture her lips with his. Her pony tail swishes against the head rest and she sighs.

Jim places his palm wide against her abdomen.

“Our little no-name baby.”
underwater, i wrote "drowning" (i used to be such a good good swimmer) by bebitched
Author's Notes:

 

Karen/Pam.

Pam was used to feeling like she was drowning.

Trying to find herself had been like searching for quarters at the bottom of a pool. Every time she dove down she came up gasping because the chlorine stung her eyes and she wasn’t used to holding her breath for so long.

But now it’s more like… floating.

“You’re fingers are getting all pruney,” Karen remarks, stretching her digits out wide for inspection. Pam giggles in spite of herself, wading further into the deep end. Maybe it’s a challenge. Maybe her shoulders had just been getting toasty in the sun.

When Karen tackles her she’s too focused on the slip slide of their bare skin to put up much of a fight, and then both splash underwater. There’s five seconds of silence, water pulsating gently in her ears, of blue luminosity rippling through the sunlight, before Pam resurfaces to Karen’s laughter. She grins.

Karen’s lips tastes salty, like sweat and suntan lotion and present tense.
you and onions make me cry by bebitched
Author's Notes:

 

Kelly/Andy, some Kelly/Ryan. Beach Day '09.

 

Ketchup stains Kelly’s fingers, but as long as it’s her skin and not her pale dress, she’s okay. Well, at least okay in that sense. Okay with the mess at least.

“I’m just a stupid ass.” She sniffles. “Stupid Ryan with his stupid China or whatever and his stupid… hair! Ugh. Makes me so mad.”

The lake ripples like it agrees and she glares, hoping the sound of Michael herding her officemates and Angela being all disapproving and Stanley not caring will fade intro the distance. She has the lake. They understand each other. Just alone and cold and wavy. Egh, it’s not a perfect metaphor, okay?

“I don’t think you’re stupid.”

She glances up at Andy, wiping at her nose and hoping it isn’t all red and gross.

“Really?”

He tips her hot dog straight, which was about point five seconds or a sneeze away from falling into her lap, and offers her a smile. And it doesn‘t seem forced or like a peace offering or like he just thinks she’s crazy under it all.

“Really.”

It’s a smile she could get used to.

elephants by bebitched
Author's Notes:
Jim(/Pam). S2.

I’m a liar.

I told you we were (only) friends, and it was a lie.

I said yesterday that I didn’t mind listening to you rail on Roy for his latest bull-headed move, and it was a lie.

I tell myself I don’t love you, and it’s a lie.

Because of that cute face you make when I double-dog-dare you. Because when you’re really determined, you scare me a little. Because you’re wearing that pink sweater I told you looked pretty. Because I know you love me too. Because you draw cartoons of elephants and we can spend all lunch break writing thought bubbles for them. Because I love being the one that makes you laugh. Because I know you’ll never say it back.

I may be a liar, but I’m not the only one.

solitaire by bebitched
Author's Notes:

 

Pam, Pam/Jim, Pam/Roy.

 

Solitaire becomes her haven when he’s gone. Pam flits through the digital cards, deck after deck after deck, marking win times as she goes. She thinks it’s because the rules here are simple; queen slips overtop king, jack follows after, ten after that, nine mounts ten, and so forth. Red, black, red. Aces up top. Spades go with spades and everyone goes home happy. Here the background is always green (she switches patterns for the backs of the cards because the little winking frog that Jim had picked out serves as a constant reminder of that one face that she couldn’t see). Here there are sequences, set groupings, re-deals. She doesn’t have to dwell on one miss or one mistake because there’s always the next game and the one after that. There’s no worrying if the Queen of Clovers is meant to go with the King of Spades, all pointy edges but dependable and protective, or the King of Hearts, rounded sides and red like the actual organ pumping in her chest.

But then Pam stops herself. There must be something wrong if she’s looking for the answer to her life in the inconsequential rules of a computer game.

Yet still. The Queen of Clovers goes with the King of Hearts. Black, red. Deal again.

so this is the new year by bebitched
Author's Notes:
Jim, Karen.
His new year’s resolution had been the same every year for the past five.

Tell her, tell her, TELL. HER.

Either tell her, or get over her. And the former, while far-fetched itself, was always more feasible than the latter. He probably should have yearned for a goal more manageable, simple, like health or career or any of the things that all the shlubs with nothing more to worry about promised themselves as the clock struck twelve.

And this past year? This year especially. If he’d just…

Jim leans against the balcony, not bothering to check if there’s dust there to dirty his suit jacket. He can hear whoops in the distance, chatter and laughter and clinks from inside the apartment behind him, but he focuses on the starry horizon. He doesn’t think about how the cold and his posture reminds him of booze cruises and bitten tongues, or how this tie suffocates him like their silence or… but he’s not thinking about it.

“Jim? What’re you doing out here, it’s freezing.”

Karen rubs her hands down her bare arms, the slinky black dress with a shimmer of sparkle more suited for crowded rooms and hot air rather than December nights. Or January mornings.

“Yeah, I’ll be in in a sec.”

She nods, letting her unanswered question go, and he listens to her close the sliding glass door behind her without looking back to see it.

Ten minutes to midnight and he has no resolution to make. Because, like last year and the year before, telling her was always more likely than getting over her. And as 2006 slips quietly into 2007, his feelings for her remain unchanged.
karen verus the cooking class by bebitched
Author's Notes:
Pam/Karen.
“How does one go about burning noodles? What did the pasta ever do to you, Karen the Spaghetti Slayer?”

Karen scowls, throwing down the wooden spoon and throwing her hands up in the air.

“I don’t know! Italian food just… doesn’t like me. First the meatballs…”

“Don’t you speak Italian?”

She purses her lips, hiding a smile behind a mean glare.

“Are you suggesting that I talk to the food? Hm? Edible Whisperer?”

Pam grins, distracting her from the smoke with a kiss.

“I’d watch that.”

The pasta comes out a bit crunchy, but the red wine masks the taste.a279;

city of love in miniature by bebitched
Author's Notes:
Sequel to a longer Karen/Pam fic of mine, Seeds That Make the Higher Ground Grow and Multiply, but you don't necessarily need to read that first. Of course I'd love it if you did ;)

 

 

There are only two things that anyone will remember about French night years later: the petits fours and Angela catching Karen and Pam hooking up in the stairwell.

(To be fair, the only reason why anyone remembers the former is due to Dwight’s passionate and lengthy speech about the inferiority of baby desserts and how if they really wanted to be eaten, they should grow up into real food and stop being so infantile. But this is beside the point.)

Angela blabs, of course. It’s inevitable.

So to the Dunder-Mifflin newsletter: (Cue blush.) No comment. (A cleared throat.) No, seriously.

 

when life gives you lemons it makes a great projectile by bebitched
Author's Notes:
AU. Jim/Pam. Dwight/Angela
For the record, Jim knew this was a disaster for the moment the bespeckled ex-farmer and petite blonde moved in. But no, he was being “alarmist.”

With a son and daughter like the Halperts, Pam thought the Shrutes would make perfect neighbors. Jim was skeptical.

What followed was ten years of lemonade-stand rivalries, meetings about grass height, and missing mail.

Jim painted their shed a whorish green, Dwight retaliated. The wives simply shook their heads.

Of course that’s nothing compared to the day he found Cecelia and the Shrute-boy holding hands. Just sowing the seeds of his first heart attack.

be true to your school by bebitched
Author's Notes:

 

pre-series. roy/katy.

 

 

Adrenaline is still pumping through his veins as Roy waits outside the stadium for the rest of the team.

“Got a light?”

The tiny, feminine voice matches the speaker, a cheerleader. Her red hair is tied back in a perky ponytail and she’s dressed in enemy colors. But the body underneath it is worth flirting with the competition.

He clicks his lighter beneath the cigarette between her lips.

“Thanks.”

He leans back against a minivan.

“There’s a party at my buddy’s house later. Free beer.” He shrugs like he doesn’t care.

She giggles, sidestepping.

“I don’t sleep with the enemy.”

how to learn history in cubes by bebitched
Author's Notes:
Roy/Karen.

 

 

Roy hadn’t expected to pick up a girl in the hardware store. Specifically the nuts-n-bolts aisle.

“Is this too big for a washer?”

Roy eyed the woman as he leaned over to help, satisfied that her pantsuit and slick, black hair were totally unlike ex-fiancé’s.

“I think that’ll do just fine,” he grinned charmingly.

When they woke between his flannel sheets, the morning-after dance wasn’t awkward. Neither clingy nor embarrassed, she looked at him like a swamp monster when he offered to microwave their cold, breakfast pizza, instead chomping down two pieces.

He decided this Karen girl was pretty cool.

chiromancy by bebitched
Author's Notes:
Jim/Pam. Set during The Fight, into S3.

 

 

Jim had never put much stock in fortune tellers, dismissing palm reading as hot air on cold hands. But in this case his hands spoke no lies.

“Your lines cross at a ridge.” Pam’s mouth had creased apologetically, delivering the bad news. “That sucks.”

(It was odd having his downfall predicted by the very same person that would cause it.)

Months later, graced with a view of the ocean and another girl, the memory of Pam in his arms won’t have faded with time or company.

Her neck had smelled like vanilla ice cream and her rejection like sour milk.

don't think i don't know sympathy by bebitched
Author's Notes:
Jim & Dwight. Chapter title from Cold War Kids' "Robbers."

 

 

It’s definitely a three-cups-of-coffee-type morning.

He likes Karen, but these late-night interrogations are sapping his energy. From his desk-mate’s expression he knows they’d agree.

Angela swoops by, taking care to elbow his bobbleheads.

Angela and Dwight are in some kind of fight about smoked beets and fire extinguishers (or something; Jim doesn’t listen too hard for fear of mental scarring).

Jim and Dwight share a knowing look over his computer monitor and he wonders if they’ll reminisce in retirement like they old friends.

Dwight huffs.

“Women.”

And even though they’re kinda arch enemies, Jim knows exactly what he’s talking about.

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=4971