Love Cannot be Bound by adampascalfan12
Summary: Pam gets into a major car accident and while she's in the hospital and is in a coma, Pam's mother Helene manages to reach Jim but will they rekindled their relationship after several weeks later after Casino Night? DISCLAIMER: I DON'T OWN JIM OR PAM OR THE OFFICE!!!
Categories: Jim and Pam, Present, Past, Future Characters: Jim/Pam
Genres: Romance, Hurt/Comfort
Warnings: Violence/Injury
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 10147 Read: 17171 Published: August 04, 2010 Updated: January 25, 2011

1. Chapter 1 by adampascalfan12

2. Chapter 2 by adampascalfan12

3. Chapter 3 by adampascalfan12

4. Chapter 4 by adampascalfan12

5. Chapter 5 by adampascalfan12

Chapter 1 by adampascalfan12
Author's Notes:
Thanks to the betas Deedldee and MilkandSugar! You guys are awesome!!
Pam looked out the window, at the sky was beginning to show the colors of the sunset. She loved watching the sunset; it was like a painted that God had created. It had some blues, orange, pink and yellow meshed together as the sun began to descend below its horizon.

It had been several weeks since Jim left Scranton; Pam had canceled her wedding and was now living in an apartment alone for 3 weeks. Her apartment was upstairs above the lobby. Pam’s apartment wasn’t small or big, it was perfect. The apartment was mostly quiet, no kids screaming or band music blaring next door to her. After she watched the sunset, she walked over to the fridge to grab a drink. As soon as she bent straight back up, the pain in her head started to pound.

"Oh boy," She put her soda can down on the counter and pinched the spot between her eyebrows and her nose. "That really hurts." Pam mumbled. The pain had started several days ago. It would come and go at certain times. Pam was convinced it was part of getting her period and it would go away when it’s over.

"Pam?" Penny knocked on the door.

"Coming," Pam said as she rubbed her forehead in pain.

"Hey," Penny chirped as Pam opened the door. "I brought some food." She held up a white bag.

"Thanks," Pam softly smiled as she took the bag from Penny, set the bag on the table and plopped on the sofa.

"What's wrong?" Penny asked, alarmed at Pam’s ashen face.

"I just don't feel good," Pam sighed as she lay down on the sofa. "My head hurts."

"I'll get you some Aleve," Penny put her purse down and went over to the bathroom.

"Okay," Pam sighed as she reached for the white bag and opened it but then set the bag back down the table. She wasn’t hungry, her appetite seemed to be off.

"Back," Penny arrived to the living area.

"Thank you," Pam retrieved the glass from Penny.

"Headache?" Penny asked as she handed the pills to Pam.

"Yeah," Pam put the cup down. "It just comes every once in a while."

"Why don't you go to the doctor?" Penny sat down on the sofa beside her sister.

"It's fine really," Pam gave out a dissimive wave. "Everybody gets these."

"Hmm-hmm," Penny nodded as Pam lay back down on the sofa. "Aren’t you hungry?"

"Not at the moment," Pam mumbled as she covered her eyes with her forearm.

"How about lying on your bed?" Penny patted her sister’s arm. "That would be more comfortable for you."

"Good idea," Pam got up to go to her room but felt a sense that her sister was following behind her so she turned to Penny. "You don't have to come with me; I'm a big girl you know?"

"Right," Penny smiled softly. "I'll let you go and rest. And eat something."

"Yes mom," Pam rolled her eyes as she sighed exasperatedly.

"I'll call you later, then?" Penny softly smiled.

"Okay," Pam nodded and then headed to her bedroom. She sighed as she plopped down on the bed and stared up the white ceiling above and the barren walls surrounding her. It would need some color. But she'd been in no mood to paint or draw ever since Jim had left. She felt empty with nothing to inspire her to what she loves to do.

"Maybe I should take a little nap," Pam said to herself and turned over to lie on her side. Few minutes later, her eyes still refused to close. All she did was picture Jim lying in front of her, fast asleep.

"I don’t need this now," She groaned as she turned over to the other side of the bed. But then, she looked up to the picture that was pinned on the corkboard on her wall. She went to the corkboard, took the picture into her hands and smiled softly.

It was a picture of them taken unexpectedly by the camera crew. Pam was laughing as Jim leaned against her desk while he smiled brightly at her. Pam thought this picture was the best one out of them. It showed respect, joy, happiness and not only that in the picture: She looked at Jim's face, it was full of love. She closed her eyes and pictured him looking at her with those expressive emerald eyes and hearing his golden laugh.

Pam opened her eyes, she was still standing alone in her room, still holding the photo. She wished desperately to be able to reconnect with him, to see that smile, to hear his voice, to laugh with him once again. She sighed as she lay back down on the bed. These kinds of thoughts would come to her a lot. Would she call him to see how he was doing? Or maybe go up to see him and tell him that she regretted making her mistake, telling him that she can’t and letting go of his hands after they had kissed on that night. She turned to her nightstand to read the clock which flashed 7:34, before looking back down to the picture.

It's now or never, Pam. Just do it. And with that thought, she grabbed her duffel bag out of the closet and begin filling it with clothes as fast as possible.

Several minutes later, she was driving on the North Scranton Expressway during at night and no traffic on the road. But she still hated driving at night, always preferring to have someone else in the car with her. "Not again," Pam muttered as the sharp pain came back again. She tried to ignore it, hoping it would go away. But then she felt numbness spreading throughout her fingers, up her arms and blurring her version and while she shook head to clear it, the darkness pulled her under until everything went black. She didn't hear the sounds of screeching of tires and the car hitting the guardrail before flipping over to its roof.

"Miss?" Pam heard an older man's voice. "Miss?"

Pam blinked and looked around at the sight by her, she was leaning her head against the roof while being upside down the roof and pieces of glass shattered by her. Little pools of blood surrounding her head.

"You're awake," The EMT said. "Look into the light," He shone the light at her eyes. "Pupils are dilated," He put the pen flashlight in his pocket. "We're going to take you out in a second." Then he stuck his head out of the car. "Bring the gurney over here!"

Pam groaned and closed her eyes as the crucial pain hit her head.

"Okay, we're bringing you out," The EMT shifted the orange board underneath her and slid her body onto it. "What's your name?" He asked.

"P-Pam," Pam looked up to the EMT as he put the neck brace on.

"I'm Nick," He looked down to her.

"Let's put her on the gurney," Another EMT spoke.

"On the count of three," Nick said. "1, 2, 3--" He groaned as they picked her up and set her on the gurney.
"Ready?" Nick asked the other EMT. "We're going to take you the hospital now, Pam." He brought her to the ambulance.

Suddenly, Pam was blinded by the bright light above her.

"You okay?" Nick looked down to her. "Can you squeeze my hand?" Pam gently squeezed his hand. "Good."

"H-hurts," Pam struggled to speak.

"What hurts?" Nick asked.

"H-head," Pam's voice wavered.

"Okay, we're going to give you something to get rid of the pain," He put his hand on her shoulder. "Liam, get me a milligram of---

The voices and sounds of a siren became faint as her eyes fluttered closed.
*****************************************

Helene stood with her husband Bill and Penny, forlorn in the cold bright white room, various machines beeping and wires surround their daughter as she lay still. Pam looked cold and pale as a ghost with some deep bruises around her face, cuts on her arms, and a white bandage that was wrapped around her head. Unable to either wake up or breathe on her own. the ventilator was supporting her.

"You should go to get some rest," he said. "We'll watch her."

"Okay," Helene sniffled and nodded as she picked up her clothes. Then she saw a folded paper fall to the ground after picking up Pam's jacket. She picked it up, it was Jim's new cell phone number, but then she remembered the conversation:

"Mom, he's gone," Pam sobbed.

"What?" Helene asked.

"Jim left. He transferred," Pam said.

"Can you call him?"

"I-I don't know if I can, especially after that night."


Helene looked at the clock; it was 12:30 in the afternoon. It has been a long 14 hours since Pam arrived to the hospital. She looked down to the paper in her hand, grabbed her cell phone out and began to dial the number.

*************************

Jim sunk down on the sofa and sighed as he leaned back on the sofa. It had been a long stressful week for him, With no one to play a prank on, no silly and boring conferences, no eating a jellybean and talk to the receptionist. He'd been talking to clients all week. It wasn't the same as being back home in Scranton. That had been the point in moving, but that fact didn't make it any less lonely.

"With Jimmy Rollins up next--" The announcer chatted on television.

Jim heard his cell phone chime on his coffee table, he groaned as he reached for it, wondering who the hell would be calling him. The number came up as unknown caller. He flipped the phone open.

"Hello?" Jim answered.

"Jim?" Helene asked.

"Yeah, this is he," Jim said.

"This is Helene, Pam's mother," Helene spoke.

Jim's head raced with all the aching possibilities and questions and for the first time in several weeks, hope surged within him.

"I'm not sure...I don't think I should be calling you, I mean I don't mean to bother...but-" Her voice became more anguished.

"What is it?" Jim could feel his gut churning as he heard her voice. He knew something had gone wrong.

"Pam was in a car accident," Helene's voice broke.

Then that's when his heart just sank to his stomach, "What?" Jim's voice croaked and tears began to well up in his eyes. "Is she okay?"

"She's in a coma at the moment." Helene sniffled. "The doctors said-"

"I'll be right there!" Jim interrupted and without thinking twice, he grabbed his keys then his wallet before rushing out of the door. "Which hospital?"

"Moses Taylor Hospital," Helene said.

"I'll be in there in a few hours," Jim said. "Maybe 2, if I can."

"Just take your time, Jim. She's not going anywhere."

"Okay," Jim nodded. "I'll be there as soon as possible."

"Okay," Helene said.

He sped down the highway, thankful there were no police officers on the side of the road. He began to slow down as he saw a sign for Interstate that would lead him out of that quiet, dreary state that was miserable for him to live in. All of these memories came through his mind, including all the emotions that would surround him.

But he saw her smile, her hair, her eyes as Michael's words ringing his head, "Never ever ever give up."

She needs me. And I need her. He turned onto Interstate 84.
Chapter 2 by adampascalfan12
Author's Notes:
Thanks to all three betas pamelamorganhalpert,Deedldee and MilkandSugar for helping me with this chapter!
Jim turned onto Quincy Ave and saw the "EMERGENCY" sign that was lit up in bright red. He quickly drove into the parking lot for patients close to the hospital, got out of the car and rushed towards the hospital.

He was out of breath by the time he reached the front desk. "I'm here for Pam Beesly."

“One moment please.” The receptionist typed in the information. “I’m sorry she’s in ICU, only family members are allowed in.” She looked up to Jim. "Any relation to the patient? What is your name, sir?"

“Jim Halpert. I’m um…” he trailed off, the sound of someone calling his name taking his attention from the lady behind the desk.

"Jim!" A voice called out from a few feet away.

"Hey." Jim looked over to the woman walking towards him.

“I’m Pam’s sister, Penny,” she said, shaking Jim’s hand.

"Excuse me?" The receptionist tried to get Jim's attention.

"Sorry," Jim looked over to her.

"Are you related to the patient?"

"He's her fiancé." Penny interrupted.

Jim looked over to Penny in surprise. Just go along with it, he thought and looked back to the receptionist. "Yeah I am. I'm her fiancé."

"I know where she is, so I'll take you to her," Penny said and led him to the elevator. "Pam told me about you."

"Really?" Jim looked over to her.

"Yeah," Penny nodded. "She said that you are one of the people that she can't live without at work. She told me all about the pranks. And how-” Penny swallowed and held back her tears as she looked down before looking back to Jim. “Every time she called me, she would have a new ‘Jim story’ to share about the things you and her had done and how you guys are such good friends, how much you mean to her..."

"Yeah," Jim said sadly as he looked up at the glowing numbers on the elevator.

"We're here." Penny led him to where her parents were. “Mom, Dad, this is Jim. Pam’s friend from work.”

"Jim!" Helene stood up and hugged him.

"Jim?" William frowned in confusion.

"Sir," Jim shook her father's hand.

"I'm so glad you're here," Helene hugged him.

“What happened?" Jim asked.

"I'll let you see her," Helene began to walk with Jim. "Well, the police say that her car hit the guard rail before flipping over onto its roof. They took her out of the car but she passed out and stopped breathing in the ambulance." Helene wrapped her one arm around herself and the other hand wiping her tears. "Her skull was fractured and had surgery right after they worked on her in the trauma. They had to put a metal plate to hold the skull in place. Her surgery went well, but they don't know when she's going to be awake, she's in a critical condition."

“God,” Jim muttered as he ran his fingers through his hair.

As they walked down long hallway in the hospital, it seem an eternity to Jim. He had been in a hospital twice before. Once when he was 7 when he got stitches due to a prank that his brothers played on him and when he visited his newborn nephew. But he had never been up in an intensive care unit before. As he passed by patient’s rooms, there were old and young people lying still with tubes everywhere.

Helene spoke softly as they approached Pam’s room. "The nurse is in there at the moment but you can go in. You two need to spend time together." She looked back to Jim and then to Pam.

Jim gave a brief nod and gulped before turning into her room.

"Oh my god," he whispered at the sight. Jim went forward slowly to her bed and touched her hand. It was a little cold.

"Can she hear me?" Jim asked as he looked up to the nurse.

"Probably not but you can still try," the nurse said as she pushed the liquid through the syringe into her IV.

"Pam, it's me, Jim." He held her hand.

With a shaky sigh he sat next to her. "Is she going to be okay?"

"She's definitely improved from when she was admitted last night," she said as she checked her vitals. "Her vitals seem to be okay, her oxygen is a little low for her to breathe on her own. That's why we have the tube in her mouth." She pointed to Pam and then looked back up to the monitor next to her bed. "Her pulse is not too rapid or slow.”

Jim put his face in his hands as his forehead sunk to the bed, a whimper escaping.

The nurse gently said, "Don't worry, we're going to watch her closely. I’ll be right outside if you have any questions."

Then Jim looked at Pam who had a small band and tape around her face to support the blue tubes in her mouth that connected to the ventilator machine next to her. That’s what’s keeping her alive, he thought.

He felt tears brimming as he looked back at her. He thought about the times he'd wished he'd never met her, how much simpler life would've been, how he'd give anything to have never felt the pain of heartbreak. And as he saw her lying pale and broken in the hospital, he couldn't imagine a life ever without her.

"Please wake up, Pam. I need to hear your voice and your laugh again.” Jim brushed his fingers against her face gently. I miss hearing about what you did on the weekend with your mom,” He sighed. “I miss everything about you. You need to come back, I need you." He lifted her hand to his lips, kissing her hand tenderly before holding it against his cheek, "I love you." He began to sob quietly as he put his head back down beside her.

***************
Moments later, Helene came to Pam's room to check on Jim and Pam. She saw Jim's body slouched forward and had his head by her arm, holding her hand securely. By the dim white light, she could still see the dampness of tear tracks on his cheek. She closed her eyes as she wished Pam would wake up right now, happy and healthy again, to see Jim right there at her bedside. Helene looked over to Jim and thought it must be uncomfortable for Jim to sleep that kind of position. So she shook his shoulder to wake him up.

"W-wha-" Jim lifted his one eye opened. “What’s going on?”

“Shhh,” Helene hushed. “I want you go lie back on the chair,” Helene said pointing to the chair. “You may be more comfortable.”

“Okay.” Jim sighed deeply as he leaned back. "Anything yet?" He looked over to Pam.

"No." Helene brought the blue cotton blanket over and covered him.

"Thank you." Jim closed his eyes and then took one arm out of the blanket to hold Pam's hand.

"Hmm-mmm." Helene smiled at the gesture and headed back out to the hallway where Bill waited for her.

"Where did he come from?" Bill pointed toward Jim through the window.

“I’ll tell you,” Helene said as they walked back to the room that was connected to Pam’s.
Chapter 3 by adampascalfan12
Jim groaned as the bright sunlight shone on him and shielded his eyes before blinking them to wake.

"Morning," Helene smiled softly.

He looked over to Pam. "Nothing yet?" he asked.

"No," Helene shook her head. "Do you want some coffee?" she pointed to the coffee carrier.

"Sure," Jim wiped his eyes and got up from the chair. "What time is it?" He asked and groaned as he stretched his arms and back.

"9:30," Helene read the clock on the wall. "Here you go," she handed a cup to him.

"Thank you," Jim nodded and took a sip.

"Did you sleep okay?"

"I slept okay but not well," he shrugged and sat back down on the chair. "One of the nurses checked her vitals during the night and each hour, I would keep waking up to see if she was awake." He looked over and held her hand.

"I know. I'm the same way," Helene sighed. "I kept peeking in several times to see if anything would change. But then I realized that patience is all we need, so she has to take her time. We're all going to be here waiting for her.”

She’s right. Patience is what I need. Jim thought as he looked up to Helene for a moment before looking back to Pam. Suddenly, he heard his stomach give out a growl.

“Hungry?” Helene chuckled.

Jim gave a wry smile and he rubbed his stomach with his other hand, “I didn’t eat after I left.”

“You should go to the cafeteria.” Helene suggested.

“I don’t want to leave her,” Jim gently gripped her hand. “I just got here yesterday,” he said softly.

“But you should really eat something Jim,” Helene put her hand under his chin.

“What if she wakes up?”

“The doctors said that she isn’t going to wake up right away, it might take a while for her to come out of the coma and regain even just some level of consciousness.” Helene looked at her and back to Jim who held his gaze on Pam. “I know you want to stay here and be by her side all the time,” she put her hand onto top of his. “But wouldn’t Pam want you to eat something and feel little bit better?”

Jim looked at Pam for a moment, he knew she was just using Pam as a way to get him out of that chair. Who knew what Pam would want, he sure as hell didn't know. But Helene had a point. His back was hurting, his head even more and his stomach ached with emptiness. “You’re right.” He looked back at Helene. “Thanks Helene,” he said as he pulled her into a hug.

“No problem,” she softly smiled as she pulled back. “That’s what moms are here for.”

Jim gave a brief nod before getting up, “Be right back.” He kissed Pam’s forehead and gently squeezed her hand.

Helene smiled at the gesture and watched him walk out of the room.

“Excuse me,” Jim asked one of the nurses at their station.

“Yes?” The nurse looked up to him.

“Do you know where the cafeteria is?”

“Take the elevator to the second floor, and once you’re down there you’ll see the doors to the corridor that connects to the other part of the hospital. Turn left, and you should be able to see it in front of you.”

“Thanks,” Jim said.

****

When he arrived to the cafeteria, it was filled with visitors, doctors in their white coats and nurses in their colorful scrubs roaming around the spacious room like little ants. As he reached to the cash register, he spotted Mr. Beesly sitting alone with his coffee in his hands, spacing out.

“Sir?” The cashier took Jim out of his reverie.

“Oh sorry,” Jim handed the money to her.

“Here’s your 25 cents back.”

“Thanks,” Jim nodded and took several steps towards the table to where Mr. Beesly was. Jim was hesitant for a second and remembered what Pam told him about her family at work. Her dad was more protective and self-willed. He recalled a conversation with Pam one day, "He's a great man, really, and he loves us all. But sometimes it's hard to know what he's thinking. He holds everything back and at times it looks like he doesn't care at all,” she said.

Jim gulped as he walked more towards him and looked at Pam's father. "Mr. Beesly,” Jim spoke.

“Jim?” He frowned as he looked up to Jim.

“M-may I sit here?” he asked. Mr. Beesly didn’t say anything so Jim sat down on the bench across from him. “How are you doing, sir?”

Mr. Beesly was still in a complete silence and was fiddling with the paper that was wrapped around the foam cup.

"Mr. Beesly,” Jim spoke. "Before you say anything-”

“I know,” Bill looked up to him.

“You know?” Jim frowned in confusion.

“Helene told to me about you last night,” Bill replied.

“Oh?” Jim lifted his eyebrows in surprise.

“She told me about Pam and you,” Bill said and then sighed as he looked down to the table.

“Mr. Beesly, I can explain-” Jim waved in a protest.

“You don’t have to explain,” Bill looked back to him. “I know what happened.”

“You d-do?” Jim stuttered a bit.

“Can we take a walk?” Bill asked.

Jim gulped as he felt his stomach go uneasy and was certain that her father was going to scream or hurt him. He was slightly taller than Jim. He was balding, had Santa's round belly and few day old stubble painted his cheeks.

“Sure,” Jim nodded as he picked up his sandwich.

As they walked out to the courtyard, the air seemed warm and scent of flowers swelled around them.

”You know, I love my daughter more than anything in this world. Like any father would,” Bill looked at Jim.

Jim nodded and swallowed nervously as he shoved his hands in his pocket, “Y-yes sir.”

“I know she isn't perfect, no one is. She can make some really bad decisions. She got engaged to her high school sweetheart, and they were still so young, really,” Bill continued. “I don’t know why I went along with it. I assumed it would be okay because Helene and I got married young too. But when she had broken off her engagement several weeks before the wedding, I was a little mad at her. I thought she was a good match with him and she had spent a lot of money planning for the wedding.” Then he looked down to the ground before looking back at Jim. “Helene told me why she broke it off. And what you had to do with that.”

“I--” Jim was about to speak, but was interrupted by Bill.

“At first, I was skeptical when I saw you at the hospital. Later, Helene told me stories that I didn’t know about of the two of you. I know Pam appreciates you supporting her after all these years and I know now how much she loves you.”

”Mr. Beesly,” he cleared his throat before speaking. “I have loved her for so long,” Jim looked at him. “And I still do,” he stuttered as he remained his gaze with Pam’s father.” I- I just…” He took a pause. “I really want to be here for her when she wakes up, you know? And be on her side.”

“I know you do,” Bill put his hand on Jim’s shoulder. “You’re a good man, Jim.” Bill smiled as he patted Jim’s back.

“Thanks,” Jim nodded.

“Are you ready to go back to the room?” Bill asked.

“Actually, I’m going to back to my car quick to get some a change of clothes,” Jim pointed his thumb behind him.

“Okay,” Mr. Beesly nodded. “So I’ll see you up then?”

“Yeah,” Jim nodded.

As he picked the bag up from his trunk, the iPod fell out onto the floor of the trunk with a thump. He looked down and picked the iPod into his hands. He didn’t remember packing it. He looked over to the building, unsure if it would be the right idea.

But what if the music will wake Pam up? It can’t hurt , he thought as he looked down to the iPod in his hands. With a quick decision, he put it in his bag and shut the trunk before heading back to Pam’s room.

“I’m back,” Jim announced as he put the bag down on the floor next the chair.

“Hey.” Helene said as Bill and her looked up to him.

Jim went to Pam’s bedside, “Anything yet?”

“No,” Bill shook his head.

“Sorry that I keep asking that question over and over again,” Jim gave a wry look and looked down to Pam.

“It’s okay,” Helene reassured. “It’s expected.”

Jim gave a brief nod and looked over to the bathroom that was near the glass doors. “Um, I’m going to get changed.”

Helene nodded and leaned against her husband’s shoulder.

Once Jim had changed his clothes, he walked over to the small faucet to wash his face with the cold water. He looked up at the mirror; he didn't recognize the man who looked back.

****

Pam opened her eyes and was blinded by the fluorescent light above her. She sat up straight and found herself on the gray sofa next to her receptionist desk in the office.

“Hello?” She stood up and looked around the room. It was eerie, quiet and empty with no one in the office. “Michael?” She walked by his office and opened his door. He wasn’t there, talking to Jan. “Let’s see if they’re in the conference room.” Pam muttered as she walked to the room next to his office and opened the door, all the chairs around the table were empty. “Maybe it’s early?”

She took a step back and looked over to the clock, it had numbers but it had no hands. “That’s odd.” She frowned in confusion and as she looked back, her outfit caught her eye in the window reflection. She was wearing a white hospital gown and blue socks instead of wearing cardigan, a skirt and her white sneakers. She was puzzled at the outfit, but then she remembered that she was taken into the ambulance and the EMT talking to her last before she blacked out.

Is this heaven? Am I dying? She thought as she looked and walked around the room.

***

“Jim, this is Doctor Shepard.” Helene pointed to him. “He’s the neurologist.”

“Hello,” Jim shook his hand.

“Jim,” He gave a brief nod. “I just came by to see how Pam is.” He walked over to her and held her other hand. “Pam? Can you squeeze my hand?” He looked down to her and had no response from her. “Okay.” He reached over to the chart that lay on the table next to her.

“Okay what?” Jim asked, sounding irritated.

“According to the Glasgow Scale Chart, this allows us to know what kind of stage she is in.” He held up the chart in his hands. “The scale is from 3 – 15. Three being the lowest, 15 is the highest and most responsive.”

“What’s her number?” Helene asked.

“Her number is three.”

“Can she wake up when the number is low?” Jim looked up to him.

“I'm afraid it's too early to say right now. We'll keep her under close observation and see what happens over the next few days.” The doctor avoided eye contact with them, occupying himself by writing on her chart.

Helene let out soft sob as she hugged Bill and Jim grabbed onto Pam’s hand as he felt hot tears rolling down his cheeks.

“I'll be back to check on her later,” he gave a very weak smile that would do a little to reassure them.

******

Pam heard distinct voices surrounding her but couldn’t make out what was being said. “Hello?” She looked above her. “Can anyone hear me?” It continued for a moment and eventually it stopped.

Okay, this is weird and I’m getting out of here, Pam thought and headed towards the door. “Oh no,” Pam fretted as she jiggled the locked doorknob. “Help! Can someone open this door for me?” Pam banged on the door twice before going over to the phone on her desk to see if Darryl could help but when she picked up the phone. The phone line was dead.

“Damn.” She sunk down on her chair and sighed deeply. What am I going to do? I don’t want to stay here alone in this place. She thought as she looked around the empty office.

Then she looked up and spotted Jim’s desk just a few steps away from her desk. She got up and walked to Jim’s desk, it was empty. Just like it was when she came to work the next morning after that night and found out that he had transferred. She brushed her fingers along the empty desk and the phone that was placed by the computer. With her imagination, she vividly could see the dim office and her wearing the periwinkle dress as she stood next to Jim’s desk, making a phone call to her mother. She looked up to see Jim with his head bent down as he made his way to her. The picture suddenly became a blurred.

Pam turned around and leaned her body against the desk as she choked back a sob. Why did I say I can’t? It’s too late now. Pam wrapped her arms around herself and let out a cry. Soon, she started to smell something familiar. It was getting stronger minute by minute. She realized it was the scent of Old Spice that Jim used to wear.

****

Several minutes later after Dr. Shepard had left Helene and Bill went to the chapel to pray. “It might help if we pray a lot to and see if she could prove the doctors wrong.” Helene said, full of conviction.

With her words, Jim wasn’t sure if he would pray. He wasn’t strongly religious like them or his parents. But he figured he would do something besides praying so Jim took the iPod out of his pocket and pushed the white circular button as the small light appeared. He flicked through the album before placing the ear bud next to her ear.

*****

Pam heard a music playing faintly in her ear and the volume grew a bit louder each second.

Baby, you've been going so crazy
Lately, nothing seems to be going right
Solo, why do you have to get so low
You're so...
You've been waiting in the sun too long

But if you sing, sing, sing, sing, sing, sing
For the love you bring won't mean a thing
Unless you sing, sing, sing, sing…


“I remember,” Pam whispered and smiled softly at the memory. Pam felt something hold onto her hand. It felt big and strong. She could feel someone rubbing her hand with a soft pad of someone’s finger.

It can’t be Mom; her fingers aren’t big or strong. I don’t think it could be Dad or my ex-fiancée, they have rough fingers from working out a lot. Couldn’t it be…

“Pam…” A soft gentle voice was heard.

“Jim?” Pam gasped.

Oh my god, he’s here. He came back.

“Jim!” She yelled as she looked above.

“Let me take this out for you,” She felt his fingers brush along her ear. “I guess it’s not really helping, isn’t it?” Jim said.

“No, no,” She shook her head furiously. “It’s helping. I heard the music.” Pam said loudly. “And I can hear you, Jim.” Then she heard Jim sigh in a distress as he gripped her hand gently.

“Please Pam, I want you fight so you can prove these doctors wrong.” Jim said. “I know you can do it.”

Pam felt his fingers brush gently against her cheeks and above her eyebrows, “I’ve been trying, Jim. I can’t get out of here, I’m locked in.”

“I want to you wake up.”

“I want to wake up too,” Pam’s tears began to roll down her cheeks.

“Please…” Jim whispered. She felt his lips on her hand and then his wet cheek onto her hand. “I miss you so much.”

“I miss you too,” Pam sniffled. “I want to see you again so badly.” She looked above her as she walked towards the sofa. “It’s been so hard not to see you around.”

“I love you,” Jim said.

“I love you too,” Pam croaked as she wiped her tears and felt her chest tighten up as she let out a sob. “I love you so much.” She began to lie down on the sofa and curled up. Within in minutes her body was getting more tired and her chest had been sore due to her crying. She closed her eyes to go back to sleep. Within minutes, she found herself in a strange dark place where she couldn’t see anything. It was almost like someone had permanently locked her in the room without a light bulb.

“Hello?” Pam asked timidly as she sat up and looked around. She could still feel the wetness of her tears on her cheeks and her chest burning every time she took a breath.

“Pam?” She heard Jim speak.

“Jim?” Pam immediately stood up. Suddenly, she was taken by a gush of wind that almost lost her footing and was blinded by a bright white light that appeared in front of her. Pam frowned in confusion as she looked back to the darkness behind her and the light. She wasn’t sure what would happen next if she stayed here or if she walked to the light.

“Please wake up…” Jim’s voice echoed.

As soon as Pam heard Jim’s voice again, she looked over to the light. Maybe it’s coming from there, she thought and decided to walk towards this luminous white light that would surround her. When she looked back, the black and the darkness had disappeared as she walked further.

Suddenly, she felt some strange sensations go through her— tightness in her throat almost if she couldn’t speak, severe pain throbbing in her head, her body feeling hot and cold and weak. As Pam reached towards the end of the tunnel, she could hear loud beeping noises of machines and felt Jim’s hold onto her hand again. She gently squeezed it and heard him whispering her name. He squeezed her hand again, she responded back and slowly Pam opened her eyes to see Jim looking down at her.
End Notes:
Thanks to Deedldee and MilkandSugar for helping me with this chapter!
Chapter 4 by adampascalfan12
Suddenly, she felt some strange sensations go through her— tightness in her throat almost if she couldn’t speak, severe pain throbbing in her head, her body feeling hot and cold and weak. As Pam reached towards the end of the tunnel, she could hear loud beeping noises of machines and felt Jim’s hold onto her hand again. She gently squeezed it and heard him whispering her name. He squeezed her hand again, she responded back and slowly Pam opened her eyes to see Jim looking down at her.

***
Jim felt his hand being squeezed gently. He looked up at Pam who still had her eyes closed, but he noticed her eyelids were fluttering. "Pam?" He whispered, choking back a sob. She slowly opened her eyes, revealing her hazel hues.

"Oh my god," he whispered. "You're awake," he said almost in disbelief. She tried to move her mouth, confusion coloring her face. "Shh…you have a tube in your mouth. Don't talk,” he soothed and pushed the nurse call button on the bed next to her.

"Yes, may I help you?" the nurse asked.

"Can you get Dr. Shepard here, Pam is awake," he smiled, looking down to Pam.

"Yes, right away.”

"Thank you," Jim said and then felt Pam squeezing his hand again and groaned softly in pain. “I’m here, Pam. I’m here. It’s going to be okay.” He squeezed her hand to assure her that he was by her side. He grabbed the cell phone with his other hand to dial Pam's parents’ number.

"Hello?" Helene answered.

"Hi, it’s Jim. She’s awake. Pam's awake," he said happily.

"She is?! I'm coming right there!" Helene shouted and hung up the phone.

"Your mom and dad are coming, Pam. Just hold on," Jim caressed her forehead and squeezed her hand gently.

"I heard the news that Pam is awake." Dr. Shepard came in the room with a couple nurses and went examine her. “Pam, look over here and follow the flashlight.”

Pam followed the light with her eyes slowly. "Can you squeeze my hands?"

Helene and Bill rushed into her room. "Oh Pam," Helene squeaked as she looked down to Pam.

"How are you doing, sweetie?" Bill asked, relief washing over his face.

“She’s still weak but responding well,” Dr. Shepard looked at them before looking back to Pam who was getting restless, irritated due to the continuous pain in her head and tube in her mouth so she tried to move her mouth again.

“Don’t talk, Pam. You’re going to choke on the tube,” Dr. Shepard kept his gaze on her and tried to hold her still.

“Stay still Pam,” Jim caressed her hand with his thumb and the other on her shoulder.

“Try to stay still, honey.” Helene patted Pam’s leg. “It’s okay.”

Pam looked over to them and eventually calmed a bit.

"Ok, Pam. I'm going take the tube out and I want to you take a deep breath as I take it out," he said as he took the tube out slowly from her mouth.

Pam began to cough harshly and her voice became raspy each time she took a breath.

“Easy, easy, easy,” Dr. Shepard put his hand on her shoulder and let the younger nurse put the nasal cannula on Pam.

"Jim," she whispered softly as she looked up to him.

"I'm here," Jim smiled as he squeezed her hand. "I'm here."

Pam groaned weakly and cringed in pain, “Okay Pam, I will give you some medication for your pain.” Dr. Shepard looked at her before turning to the older nurse behind him. “Chelsea, order some morphine please?”

“Yes doctor,” she nodded and walked out of the room.

"Is she going to be okay?" Bill asked.

"It will take time for her to recover Mr. Beesly,” he said then looked down to Pam. “Pam, listen-” He put his hand on her forearm to keep her calm. “I know that you are getting irritated or restless now. It’s due to the fracture, you have in your skull. You’ll have excruciating headaches, or get really tired at times because your brain needs to rest and you-”

“But didn’t she have surgery two days ago?” Helene interrupted. “Wouldn’t the pain stop right away after the surgery?”

“Yes and no,” he bobbed his head. “The pain doesn’t necessarily go away right after the surgery. It takes time for the skull to heal. She still has the side effects of skull fracture, even though we did the surgery on her and we can still give her medication to take edge off.”

“H-hurts,” Pam mumbled.

"It'll be okay, Pam," Jim looked at Pam who was getting restless due to the pain. “I know it hurts.”

“Here you go doctor,” Chelsea arrived with a couple syringes and bottles in her hand.

“Thank you,” Dr. Shepard gave a brief nod as he put the latex gloves on and put the syringes into Pam’s IV port then putting them into the hazardous red little box that hung on the wall. “You should get a bit of relief from the pain soon, okay?” He looked down to her and grabbed the chart on the table next to her bed.

“Ired…” Pam groaned weakly as she moved her head to the other side. “I want to sheep…”

“Do you want to go to sleep? Is that what you mean, Pam?” Dr. Shepard asked.

“Why is she speaking incorrectly?” Bill asked.

“It’s common in patients who have skull fractures. They'll have this very odd problem--they'll know the word they want to say but just can't come up with it. We call this anomia, which means can't name. The patient is saying it wrong by using a similar sounding word. For example: instead of saying, pass me the spoon, she might say pass me the noon.”

“Can that go away? Helene asked.

“Yes,” he nodded. “By going to speech therapy, they will help her speech and grammar.”

“How soon can she start that?” Jim asked.

“I can contact the speech therapy here at the hospital or you can have her go this place…” he took a piece of paper and pen out of his pocket of his white jacket and began to write down the name and the address. “Allied Services, I recommend that place if you decide to have her there. They offer the best services to people who have brain injuries.” He handed the paper to Helene and looked over to Pam who was getting more relaxed but was trying to keep her eyes open to stay awake. “Pam, don’t fight off to sleep. You still need rest.” Dr. Shepard put his hand on her shoulder.

“It’s okay Pam,” Helene interrupted and rubbed her leg. Pam’s sleepy eyes looked over to her parents and Jim. “We’ll still be here when you wake up,” Helene continued as they all nodded in agreement.

“They’re right Pam,” Jim nodded. He felt happy that she was awake after being in a coma. But then he felt a little disappointed that they would not be talking much because she needed her rest.

“If she gets drowsy or sleepy like this and forces herself to stay awake, it’s not good for the patient who has a brain injury,” Dr. Shepard said. “So, all of you need to assure her that’s okay to sleep.”

“Okay,” they murmured in agreement.

“And I’ll check on her about an hour or so from now,” he looked at Pam.

“Thank you,” Bill shook his hand.

Jim gave a brief nod to thank him before looking back to Pam.

"Please let me know if you need me. I'm glad she's awake and conscious." Then he left the room, leaving them alone.

Jim sighed of relief, "Oh thank god.”

Helene walked over to the other side of her beside and held her hand, "You're going to be okay.”

****
Later, Pam woke up as the sunset's rays shone through the blinds. She slowly turned her head, slightly wincing at the pain. She saw Jim, sitting by her bedside with his head in his hands. She had to blink twice to see if Jim was still there or it was just a dream.

"Jim?"

"I’m right here," He looked up at her and squeezed her hand before holding it securely. “I’m right here Pam.”

"I h-" She struggled to speak and sighed of frustration.

“Shhh,” Jim hushed. "It’s okay Pam,” Jim caressed her hand with his thumb. “Take your time. Like the doctor said, don't be frustrated with your speech."

"I earn music,” Pam tried again.

Jim frowned at her words as he caressed her face, “What do you mean Pam?”

“Sing,” Pam looked at him.

His eyes widened in realization, “You mean you heard the music that I played for you?”

“Yes,” Pam said hoarsely as she nodded slowly. “You,” She looked at his piercing green hues. “I m-miss you.”

“I missed you too Pam,” he smiled brightly and he brought her hand up to his lips.

“I-love-you…” she struggled a bit with her words.

Immediately, Jim looked up to her with a bit of a shock and tears began to brim in his eyes. “Y-you do?” Jim’s voice cracked.

Pam nodded slowly. “I l-love y-you,” she tried again.

Jim stood up then leaned over carefully to kiss her lips. It was more like last kiss but it had more love. "I love you so much," he planted a kiss on her forehead and then caressed her cheek carefully.

A small smile crept on her face as she looked up at Jim.

“God, I missed that smile,” Jim spoke without thinking.

Pam brought hand up weakly to Jim’s face and feeling the stubble on his face, “S-s-same.”

Jim brought his hand to lie on top of hers before bringing it to his lips.

“H-here,” Pam weakly pointed to the spot next to her.

“I don’t want to hurt you by lying down or get yelled at by the doctors to get off the bed,” Jim said.

“No,” Pam shook her head carefully and put her hand on Jim’s.

“Okay,” Jim nodded and began to lie down next to Pam. “Are you sure that you’re okay?” He carefully positioned his head on the pillow that they shared.

Pam nodded, “Y-yes.”

They shared a quiet moment with Jim holding her and them looking into each other’s eyes.

How I missed those hazel eyes. They would sparkle whenever we shared a prank, stories or a laugh after a stupid joke would be told. Jim smiled at the thought as he brought his hand to her face and brushed his fingers softly against her bruised cheek.

Pam frowned in confusion, “Wha-”

“Nothing,” Jim shook his head as he continued to brush her cheek. “I’m just happy that you’re awake.”

“Me t-too,” Pam said.

****

“What is he--” Bill saw Jim lying on the bed with Pam, fast asleep.

“Shhh,” Helene stopped him and smiled at the gesture before bringing the blanket over from the chair to lie on top of the sleeping couple. “Let them sleep,” she said and turned off the dim light above them before grabbing Bill’s hand to head off to the room next door.
End Notes:
Thanks to Deedldee and pamelamorganhalpert with the beta!
Chapter 5 by adampascalfan12
Two weeks after Pam had woken up, she began the arduous task of speech and physical therapy with Allied Services. Her condition progressed with each visit but despite the obvious benefits she felt just by the act of getting out of bed, the process itself was exhausting.

"Hey," Jim arrived to her suite in his work attire. Ryan had taken over Pam’s job until she would come back to work. After much begging and negotiating, Jim was finally able to transfer back home to Scranton. He felt a little guilty at first for wanting to transfer and then wanting it reversed but he was too concerned with Pam to really care at that point.

“Shhh,” Helene shushed him as she pointed Pam who was asleep.

“Oh sorry,” he gave a wry look as he looked over to her.

“What are you doing here?” Helene asked as she put the magazine down on the table.

"Work was boring and I didn’t have any clients today so I decided to head out just a bit early."

“Oh, how nice of you,” she smiled and hugged him.

"So, how are you?" Jim asked.

“All right,” Helene bobbled her head.

"Did she have speech therapy today?" Jim sat down on the chair next to Pam’s bedside.

"Yeah," Helene said. "She just finished about 15 minutes ago."

"Oh," Jim simply said and pulled his tie a bit loose. “How did that go?”

“Good,” she nodded. “Getting little bit better with her words.”

“That’s great,” Jim smiled.

“Yeah,” Helene folded her arms and looked over to the clock. “Oh, it’s 12:30. Maybe I should go to the cafeteria and get some food,” she went over to her purse that was on the chair. “Do you want something to eat Jim?” she asked.

“Nah, I’m good.” He shook his head.

“Okay,” she nodded. “Be right back.”

As soon as Helene left the room, Jim decided to sit over near the window where the spot would be warm due to the sun’s gleaming rays. He spotted a big yellow drawing tablet lying on the table next to Pam’s bedside and a box of pencils nearby. He lifted his eyebrows curiously at it as he got up again, looking at Pam who was sound asleep in her bed and back to the tablet.

He gently picked it up without a sound. Once he opened the first page he saw the drawing little girl. She was sitting on the chair, pouting as she clutched her teddy bear close to her little body. She had on overall dress, white lace socks with black shoes and her curly hair pulled back by a bow, revealing the outer piece of her Cochlear Implant. Then another page was a collage of landscapes of the national parks in Scranton.

As he turned the next page, he gasped softly as he held the paper in his hands. It was a drawing of them; Pam had her hands laid on his chest as Jim gave out a small crooked smile as they looked at each other’s eyes lovingly while Jim held her in a warm embrace. Not only that, he looked down to the date: 4/25/06. Wait…that was several weeks ago before I confessed. Did Pam actually have some feelings for me? He thought as he looked down to Pam who was still sleeping soundly.

Suddenly, he jumped at the nurse’s beeping noise of her watch and immediately shut the tablet.

“Sorry,” the older nurse gave a wry look as she stopped the beeping and saw Pam resting. “I just came in to check her stats/vitals.”

“It’s okay,” Jim nodded as he put down the tablet while he looked at Pam. He wondered how long she had actually felt that way about him.

“Everything’s looks good,” the nurse chirped as she put the chart back into slot on the foot of her bed. “Hey,” she frowned as she looked back at Jim’s facial expression. It seemed dazed, almost as if he were in a daydream. “Are you okay, honey?” She tapped his shoulder.

“What?” He shook out of his reverie. “Oh, sorry.”

“Are you okay?” She asked.

“Yeah,” he nodded. “Just had a bit of a day at work today,” Jim looked up to her.

“I know what you mean,” she smiled. “We all have that.”
“How is she?” He asked.

“It looks like she’s getting better,” she looked over to the machine.

“That’s great,” Jim smiled.

“Well, I’m heading off and Dr. Shepard will come by later,” she smiled as she turned and headed out of the room.

Pam softly groaned as she turned her sore head to the other side.

“Hey,” Jim smiled as she opened her eyes.

“Hi,” she said softly.

“How are you?” He gently grasped her hand.
“Okay,” Pam sighed. “Sore.”

“It’ll get better soon,” Jim said. “Do you want me to move the pillow more?” He got up to reach for the pillow.

“No,” she put her hand on his arm. “It hurts,” she paused as she began to struggle to speak, “when I move it.”

“Okay,” Jim sat back down on the chair.

Pam frowned at his attire, “W-were you…at work?”

“Yes,” he looked down at his outfit before looking up at her. “I decided to head out early to come see you.”

Pam gave a smile as she gently squeezed his hand, “I missed you.”

“I missed you too,” he brought his hands up to his lips. For a moment, they looked at each other before Helene spoke as she came into the room.

“Hey honey,” she smiled while carrying a tray into the room.

“Hi,” Pam said softly.

“How are you?” She asked as she put the tray down.

“Okay,” she shrugged.

“Did you have a nice little nap?” Helene carried a soup over to Pam.

“Yes,” Pam nodded.

“I brought you something to eat, so you have some nutritious food in your system.” Helene put a spoon and a napkin by her hands.

Pam’s face immediately scrunched up in disgust as she took a taste of it. “Ugh!”

“What’s matter?” Helene asked.

“It’s nasty!” Pam shuddered and stuck her tongue out.

Jim laughed as he handed her a drink, “I should have warned you, all hospital food isn’t that great.”

“Jim!” Helene rolled her eyes. “Don’t listen to him.”

“I’m sorry, Helene,” Jim smiled. “Your mom is right though, she wants you to eat so you can be healthy again.” He looked at Pam.

Pam gave him an “I don’t like you right now but I still love you” look as she continued to eat her lunch.

*************************

A few hours later, Jim went back to his parent’s house, where he would be staying until he could find a decent apartment to rent. He changed into his comfortable clothes and then went back to the hospital.

He walked down the hallway, back to her room and found her lying facing away from the door, sobbing quietly.

“What’s wrong?” Jim frowned as he went to other side of her bed. “Pam?” He asked again and he saw her face wet with tears. “Hey, hey…” he gently whispered as he sat by her legs. “What’s the matter?”

“I--” she hiccupped. “I--” Pam struggled. “Can’t draw…” She blubbered as she covered her face.

“Shhh,” Jim held her against him while she sobbed and he looked over to the table by her, it had papers crumpled up in balls and pencils everywhere.

“It’ll be okay,” he hushed as he rocked her softly.

“I draw a line, no face,” her voice was muffled and hiccuped. “My drawing…is horrible!” She let out a cry.

“Your drawings aren’t horrible,” Jim said. “I’ve seen them.” He shifted his back and forth, hoping she wouldn’t yell at him for snooping.

“You…did?” Pam said softly as she pulled back to look at him.

“Yes,” he said timidly.

“Is it good?” Her voice croaked.

“Amazing,” Jim gave a small smile.

She picked up her tablet and held it in her lap, “I tried…” she swallowed back her tears. “Many times…”

“That’s okay,” Jim gently spoke as he shrugged his shoulders. “That’s okay,” he repeated. “There’s nothing wrong with that.” He put his forefinger under her chin to make her look at him. “You were hurt badly in an accident, and you were in coma for three days. Then you woke up and had to start a rehab right away so you can be back on your feet again.” Jim said. “Do you remember how you had your speech?”

“Yes,” Pam’s voice wavered.

“Did the therapist have you repeat words after her?”

“Yes,” she sniffled.

“It’s like that,” Jim shrugged. “It’ll take practice, by drawing again and again.” Jim said. “By the time, you’re finished with practicing; you’ll be drawing the way you always have. You’ve just gotta give it some time, let things heal,” Jim continued as he wiped her remaining tears.

“Yeah?” Her voice squeaked.

“Yes,” Jim nodded and slowly brushed his hands down her shoulders to her hands to hold them. “I promise you that it’ll get better.”

Pam sighed of happiness, “T-thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Jim kissed her.

Pam fingered the edge of the tablet and slowly opened to the first few pages until the drawing of them.

“I-” Both of them spoke in unison.

“You go ahead,” Jim nodded.

“I drew a…picture of us.” Pam struggled at first. “I wondered what…our life would be like if we were together before.”

“Was it after I had said that I didn’t have a crush on you?” Jim asked.

“Yes,” Pam nodded. “I had feelings..for you.”

“Were you going to say that if I still had a crush on you?” Jim asked.

“Yes,” she said softly as she looked down to the blanket.

“But why did you say no that night?” Jim lifted her chin up.

“I-I was scared,” one of her tears escaped and rolled slowly down her healed cheek. “I didn’t know….what to do. I planned out the wedding…everything was good to go,” she fumbled with her hands. “I – didn’t know how-” she struggled to speak “You kissed me,” she looked up to his shining emerald eyes. “It was comfort and v-very loving. No one,” she shook her head as she put her hand on Jim’s cheek, “gave me that kiss,” she continued. “I-it was s-stupid of me, w-when I said ‘no’,” Pam felt a couple tears roll down her cheek.

“Hey,” he said gently as he held her face to stop her.

“It’s okay,” Jim wiped her tears with his thumbs. “We all make stupid mistakes, I made a mistake too.”

Pam frowned in confusion, “W-what?”

“I should have waited for you,” Jim caressed her cheek with his thumbs. “I should have been there with you when you canceled your wedding.” Jim brought his hands down to hold her hands. “But I guess our timing wasn’t right.”

“W-we’re here, right?” Pam gently squeezed his hands.

“Right,” Jim nodded as he smiled at her.

“I love you,” Pam smiled softly as she brought her hand back to his cheek.

“I love you too, Beesly,” Jim kissed her.

“I missed that,” Pam gave out a small giggle before Jim kissed her again.
End Notes:
Thanks to Deedldee and MilkandSugar for helping me with this chapter!
This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=5100