The Pam Dichotomy: Season 4 by scrantonbranch
Summary:

The Pam Dichotomy continues into Season 4 with analysis for every episode on a scene-by-scene basis, (episodes will be uploaded by title as individual chapters). Analysis focuses on Pam’s character development on emotional and psychological levels with emphasis on how her behavior impacts JAM. Also included are the QTPs (Question to Ponder) that incited so much discussion on the message boards.

 


Categories: Jim and Pam, Episode Related Characters: Pam
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: The Pam Dichotomy
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 31474 Read: 5384 Published: August 16, 2016 Updated: October 16, 2016

1. Chapter 1: Fun Run by scrantonbranch

2. Chapter 2: Dunder Mifflin Infinity by scrantonbranch

3. Chapter 3: Launch Party by scrantonbranch

4. Chapter 4: Money by scrantonbranch

5. Chapter 5: Local Ad by scrantonbranch

6. Chapter 6: Branch Wars by scrantonbranch

7. Chapter 7: Survivor Man by scrantonbranch

Chapter 1: Fun Run by scrantonbranch

In the very last scene of Season 3, Pam was literally in the throws of euphoria as Jim asked her out to dinner.  Two months later, the euphoria continues as Jim and Pam finally found a way to be together.  Pam is literally exuding joy through every pore of her being.  This joy is undoubtedly from her newfound relationship with Jim, but it’s also a product of Pam’s transformation into FNB.  Pam’s self confidence and assertiveness is obviously apparent with her first scene in Fun Run.  Her internal make-over has now transferred externally with new clothes, a new hair-do and a glowing smile that barely leaves her face.  Even her walk is lighter with the weight of self-consciousness lifted.  She is a new woman and she loves who she has become.  It’s good to see all of Pam’s hard work last season has paid off.  

Pam is truly happy for the first time in really long time.  Jim is in her life and she is chasing her dreams.  Although there was no mention of her artistic ambitions, a large set of colored pencils sits on her desk. (look closely as she comforts a crying Angela).  It’s obviously something she is still pursuing and hopefully this season will bring more progress in her endeavors.  Pam has created a new life for herself full of new possibilities.  However, Pam’s transformation into FNB is still ongoing.  Pam has truly reinvented herself, but now comes the critical step in maintaining FNB.  There are still traces of insecurity remaining, but Pam is consciously working towards overcoming hurdles.  In a few instances in this episode, she forced herself to confront a hurdle that stands in her way.

Pam’s indelible giddiness throughout the episode was as endearing as it was contagious.  Seeing Pam find so much happiness with Jim is truly the payoff all JAM fans have waited to see since Season 1.  It’s been a given all along that Jim could make her happy more so than Roy on his best day.  Fun Run provided unequivocal proof that Jim knows exactly what Pam needs and will give it to her.  It was glorious watching Jim and Pam find so much joy and happiness in one another, but little alarms are also blaring.  Jim and Pam have entrenched themselves into their own little world in which they alone populate.

As most new couples, they are in the lightheaded, euphoric honeymoon period of their relationship.  The second chance nature of their relationship only amplifies the sense of euphoria.  Both are more than aware of how lucky they are to be with one another, given the tumultuous nature of their relationship last year.  “The bubble” that Jim and Pam have been able to create for themselves is essentially a new escape tactic that both have enabled to simply enjoy some time together, before the magnitude of their feelings hits with a deafening roar.  

Keeping their relationship a secret from everyone adds to the bubble as it keeps the dream going in place of reality.  Once the relationship becomes reality, the deeper issues hiding in both of them will come to the surface.  They both have strong feelings for one another and it’s obvious they haven’t talked about it yet.  Right now they are focused on making up for lost time.  They actually need this time alone to simply reconnect and have fun with one another.  Their relationship is still very new, which means time is needed to explore and find a safe place where emotional honesty and trust can be built.  

The season opener answered so many questions in regards to JAM’s status, but it has left gaping holes as well.  No specific timeline was given in terms of how long they’ve been dating.  Furthermore, there is almost no information about what Jim and Pam have discussed concerning their feelings.  There’s no solid evidence about whether the past is going to be left in the past or if it’s going to be an issue between them.  Perhaps the most perplexing is the absence of Jim and Pam’s first date.  The only known fact is that they went on that date and it apparently went very well.  There’s a big gap between The Job and Fun where any number of things could’ve happened to lead Jim and Pam to their current status.  Until the events of the interim are revealed, it’s difficult to ascertain JAM’s relationship with any certainty.  But, it’s worth a shot! 

At Pam’s Desk

Pam is leaning on her desk with Jim by her side as the IT guy tries to fix her computer.  Both are clearly basking in the others presence. They are both very relaxed and friendly in their body language as they’re not afraid to be close.  The IT guy proceeds to inform Pam of some computer don’ts as he tries to fix her crashed computer.  He asks what exactly she was doing and surprisingly, she admits she clicked on ad for a celebrity sex tape.  There’s no way of knowing if she did it on purpose or on accident, but the interesting thing about it is that she can find the humor in her error.  Old Pam would have turned bright read weighed down in self-consciousness.  Instead, FNB looks to Jim and laughs it off with friendly banter.  Jim asks her, “Really, what kind of celebrity?”  She smiles and playfully answers “Not relevant” as she looks down at her desk.  

Jim prods her further by asking how much she paid for it and she again answers, “Not relevant” in response.  She can’t help but relish his teasing as he says, “You paid for it?!”  She looks right at him smiling and laughing on the inside as she says, “It all happened so fast.”  She smiles wider in response to his shocked smile.  She knows Jim is completely floored by this revelation, but she doesn’t get flustered or defensive.  FNB doesn’t get embarrassed anymore, instead she finds a way to laugh at herself.  It’s just another amazing characteristic that has developed in FNB.  It’s another indicator that Pam is continuing to grow.  

Talking Head #1:

Pam’s glow continues to dance across her face as she tells the camera about the aftermath of The Job, “Jim and I went to dinner a few times when he got back from New York.  The joy she feels inside refuses to be contained no matter how hard she tries.  A smile continually sneaks out as she speaks.  The story is obviously rehearsed as she can barely keep a straight face.  Here eyebrows raise and her mouth pulls back a little, almost begging the camera crew to buy her story.  Furthermore, her facial tics indicate she is desperate to blab.  She wants to tell the world how she feels, but she is held back by keeping the relationship a secret.  It’s hard for her to hold back something so big and wonderful after she learned how to remove the barriers to her emotions last season.  

She continues the charade by explaining she “talked him through his breakup.”  The statement is supposed to throw the camera crew off the scent by making it seem like their date was simply two friends going out to dinner.  Her face is again attempting to sell her story, but it’s hard not to notice her eyes light up at the demise of Jim and Karen’s relationship.  She pauses to grin and shrug, reliving the thrill that Jim dumped Karen and came back to her.  Pam may have liked Karen as a person, but she didn’t like her anywhere near Jim.  Pam caps off her story by saying, “It's really nice to be good friends again.”  This may have been part of the “show” but it’s something Pam really means.  Her face is much more relaxed as this isn’t something she needs to sell to anyone.  She missed Jim’s friendship last season and now she has him back in her life.  He is still her best friend regardless of the status of their relationship.  The missing piece of her life is finally back in place.

Weekend Plans:

The charade continues at Pam’s desk as Pam discusses weekend plans with Jim.  She tells him she is going to a flea market and he counters with a mountain bike ride.  This is purely for show for everyone around them. The conversation is light and casual, but there is an air of feigned interest on both sides.  It’s a made up story with no foundation, meant only to throw people off the trail.  Pam’s face is even a little amused as they run their lines.  She is enjoying the game of keeping their relationship a secret.  For the first time in a long time, they have the equivalent of an inside joke.  

In a sense they’re colluding on a prank on everyone in the office.  It’s fun, exciting and with Jim.  Humor has always connected them and it’s clear they are finding the fun in their situation. It almost makes sense that the beginning of their relationship is coupled with a little prank.  The need to reconnect is being met by the secret they share.  It’s just between them, therefore, creating a bubble that is their own little world.  Playing the game keeps everyone out of the bubble, allowing them to just be with one another without distraction.  The bubble is a nice escape from reality, a special place that only they know about.  It’s a perfect place to rebuild a friendship and explore something more than that without feeling the heat of co-worker curiosity or being the subject of office gossip.  Pam has always been a private person, so the idea of keeping the relationship a secret has a certain amount of appeal for her.  

Pam vs. Accounting:

In a glorious display of FNB, Pam takes on accounting as both Kevin and Angela give her reason to spread her wings.  In her usual warm voice she says, “Hey guys, we're all gonna visit Meredith for lunch. And were kicking in $5 for flowers.”  Kevin immediately begins to prod her about Jim, “Who's we, you and Jim?”  She doesn’t flinch one bit as she responds, “No, uh, me Stanley and Phyllis so far.”  Kevin doesn’t give up as he continue to “investigate,” “Oh, I bet Jim goes too.” Pam continues to show composure making sure Kevin doesn’t break into the bubble, “ Yeah, I haven't asked him yet.”   Still refusing to relent, Kevin tries again, “Oh, I bet you ask.”  Pam is now getting amused at Kevin’s persistence knowing full well he’s getting frustrated at her lack of information.  She smiles slightly as she responds, “I was planning on it.”  Kevin tries one last time with “I bet you were,” but Pam  has decided she’s had enough.  With Kevin, it’s just going to be one long endless circle.  

She breaths out a breath of her own frustration as she turns her attention to Angela to ask if she is coming to the hospital.  Angela’s excuse of her sick cat does not impress Pam.  In this situation, Pam’s compassion is geared towards Meredith and not a sick cat.  When Michael explained Meredith had been hit by a car, Pam was immediately effected.  Her face was genuinely full of anxiety and worry.  Angela’s lack of concern for Meredith is unacceptable to Pam, which sends FNB into action.  Pam asks, “Can't your other cats keep her company?” as a soft way to convince Angela that she needs to visit Meredith.  Angela’s response, “There's bad blood, jealousies, cliques,” only irritates Pam more as she watches Angela trying to wiggle out of seeing Meredith.  

Unwilling to let Angela win, Pam pulls out the big guns, “Angela, you're the chairman of the party planning committee. I shouldn't even be planning this, it's your job.”  Pam knows how seriously Angela takes her job of being the PPC chairman and knew this would give her a good hard kick in the pants.  Pam can’t get Angela to care about Meredith, but she can at least get  her do the right thing.  Pam bobs her head into victory nod and smiles.  She’s proud of herself for standing up to Angela.  Furthermore, she wasn’t afraid or hesitant to do so.  Her reaction to her victory indicates that Pam is very much aware of her continuing transition into FNB.  Pam is still making a conscious effort to maintain her newly acquired assertiveness.  Last season, she went through the growing pains of recreating herself and now she in the process of refining those changes.

Break Room #1:

Pam sits with Jim in the break room along with several other co-workers, enjoying a soda as he munches on popcorn.  The body language between them is again relaxed and comfortable.  Her shoulders are loose and her hands are openly on the table, without fear of being close to Jim.  Jim mirrors her with loose shoulders and a relaxed stance.  There is no tension between them.  This could be a result of the honeymoon stage of their relationship, but it’s hard not to wonder where the tension that characterized their relationship for a year has gone.  Pam’s yogurt lid may have healed wounds, but it’s not a magic wand.  That tension has either been dealt with or swept under the rug.  Given the sense of euphoria between them, there must be a broom in the corner somewhere.  Neither wants to pop the bubble to deal with reality.  Pam is beyond thrilled to have Jim back in her life and the last thing she wants to do is remind him why he was gone for so long.  

Michael makes an appearance in the break room to make announcement, which he quickly forgets due to jabs from Oscar and Phyllis.  After recovering from his flustered state, he starts to defend himself for hitting Meredith, by suggesting they plant a tree as a way to focus on something more positive than the tragedy at hand.  Again annoyed at the lack of concern for Meredith, FNB steps into action, “Okay, we're leaving for the hospital at 1.”  She want to get everyone’s mind back where it belongs, but Michael refuses to play along.  She ignores his, “So, like a freedom tree,” reference and immediately changes the subject to carpooling and formulating a plan for a card to give to Meredith.  Furthermore, she stretches her FNB muscle by planning times for specific times for when groups can go and visit Meredith.  

This take charge attitude is entirely new for Pam, but she is  embracing it completely.   Unfortunately, Michael refuses Pam’s plan, despite her best attempts to stand up to him.  She tried three times to get Michael to listen to and accept her plan, which is pretty amazing.  Old Pam would’ve given up after the first time.  Pam reluctantly gives into Michael, but she isn’t defeated.  There isn’t a trace of being self conscious, only annoyance at Michael’s attention span and one track mind. Go FNB!

Conference Room #1 - Religion:

During Michael’s insane religion discussion, Pam and Jim are situated at opposite ends of the conference table.  Again, they are playing the game of keeping a secret.  Sitting apart just expands the illusion that nothing is going on between them.  However, they have a clear view of each other to swap non-verbal jokes and communication.  Just when neither is able to handle any more of Michael’s ramblings, Jim provides an escape plan by offering to do some research on Michael’s mythical sacrifice animal.  Pam picks up on it right away and says, “I can help you with that.”  It’s a glowing example of how communication lines are reconnecting between Pam and Jim.  

She jumps up and joins Jim in exiting the conference room, while everyone else remains stuck in Michael’s insanity.  The symbolism behind this scene is undeniable.  Pam joins Jim as they head into their own little world, where it’s just the two of them.  They’ve given the slip to everyone as they engage in their own little escape from reality.  This scene is just a different way of depicting the bubble.  The discomfort and tedium of Michael’s madness is representative of dealing with the deeper issues of their relationship.  Walking out of the conference room is the equivalent of entering the bubble zone which blocks all that distracts from the euphoria of a new relationship.  

Picking Up Jim/Talking Head #2 (Overlap):

The game continues as Pam walks out to her car alone, with the intention of picking up Jim down the street.  Apparently, they’ve done this before, as the orchestration of the act is perfect.  She pulls off to the side of the street and waits with her head on the steering wheel, probably as a way to obscure her face should anyone drive by while she waits.  Within seconds, Jim arrives and hurriedly gets into the car wearing a huge dorky grin on his face, (Awwwww).  She leans towards him expectantly, waiting for the inevitable and now familiar kiss.  He obliges by leaning over to give her a quick kiss, while also reaching up to lightly touch her face, (insert squeal).  It’s a perfectly tender moment in a matter of seconds.  

Obviously, this is an act that’s been perfected during the short term of their relationship.  She smiles widely after the kiss, elated from his touch.  As she drives away, both are giggling and wearing mischievous grins denoting their belief that they’ve gotten away with their little secret once again.  They are proud of themselves for keeping the bubble intact for yet another day.  The fun and excitement of it all has yet to wear off.   They are enjoying every second of their subterfuge and each other. 

As the scene plays out, an overlapping talking head has Pam reasserting her claim that she is not dating anyone.  The game is in full swing as Pam tries to convince the camera crew that she is single.  Her tone is adamant, but soft at the same time.  Pam can’t hide the sheer warmth that she feels from her relationship.  She is comfortable and free from the weight that hung around her neck for years.  All the angst and pain from the last year is absent from her voice.  Pam continues to reinforce her assertion by adding, “And even if I was, I don’t think it’s anyone’s business.”  This is meant to get the camera crew off her case, but it’s also an indicator of Pam’s usual need for privacy.  If she can keep something to herself, she will.  It’s a characteristic that has been around since the beginning.  

Both Pam and FNB protect her privacy.  However, this statement’s primary purpose is furthering the game of keeping her relationship with Jim secret.  It isn’t just a privacy issue for Pam herself, it’s for both of them.  They need to maintain the bubble to keep their little fantasy world alive.  The excitement and “high” of the new relationship is amplified by the secrecy and neither wants to let that go, yet.  Pam continues to pile on reassurance of her single status by stating, “I mean, when I do fall in love, like when it’s for real . . .”  Again, this is meant to throw off the camera, but it’s obvious she is completely in love.  Her voice softens when she says the word “love.”  It’s been literally years since she’s loved anyone openly, without hiding.  It’s this softness that shows emotional honesty is something Pam has embraced.   She knows how she feels and she isn’t afraid.  However, she isn’t about to shout it from the rooftops, “ . . . the last person I’m going to talk about it to is a camera crew or my co-workers.”  

Apparently, Pam has learned her lesson.  The only person who needs to know the truth, is the one that really matters.   There’s no way of knowing if Pam has told Jim exactly how she feels, but it’s obvious she is showing him.  Regardless, Jim is aware of how she feels one way or the other.  It may be a secret from the world, but it’s not a secret from him.  

The next segment of her talking head provides some interesting insight into Pam’s transition into FNB.  She says, “Almost marrying Roy Anderson was as close to Pamela Anderson as I ever want to be.” Just as before, Pam is incredibly conscious of her transition into FNB.  She can clearly see the difference of who she was while with Roy and the woman she has become.  She loves her new life and her new self.  She won’t give it up for anything and will continue to work on growing.  For the first time, Pam really is fine with her choices.  Mainly because she made them for herself, instead of letting someone choose for her.  This statement is essentially saying goodbye to Old Pam for good.  

Pam understands that she has an unbelievable second chance with Jim and she isn’t going to blow it by returning to her old ways.  The past is riddled with could have’s and should have’s.  She is more than aware that she is living the life she could have had a year ago.  As a result, she is grabbing onto Jim and life in general with all her might, while leaving fear by the wayside.  

Pam caps off her talking head by stating, “Trust me, when I fall in love, you’ll know.”  It’s again part of the game, but it’s also another indicator of emotional honesty.  She knows how she feels, but she is unaware of how easily it plays across her face.  She is trying to hide it for the sake of the bubble, but even her voice glows with the reality that she loves Jim.  It’s not something she has to keep hidden from herself any longer.  She’s allowed herself to feel it, embrace it, and express it to the person who should have known a long time ago.  

In an interesting side note, Pam is the one driving.  It’s very symbolic of Pam’s role in the relationship.  She is clearly taking the lead in JAM so far.  She is driving him “home” and he is along for the ride.  She has taken the lead on everything else in her life, so it stands to reason she is doing the same with Jim.  Mainly because she knows he is incapable of moving things along at this point.  She is the glue keeping them together. 

Staring At Jim:

In a nice throwback to Season 2, the camera catches Pam stealing a look at Jim. She can’t help but smiles as she stares at him.  Her smile is dripping with love and a sense of nostalgia.  Jim is back in his old desk, with his shaggy hair and rolled up sleeves, (yay!).  He is right where he belongs and it’s good to have him back.  Things are normal again, with the added bonus of their new relationship.

This feeing of nostalgia is harmless for the moment, but it’s something to keep an eye on.  The idea of Jim can create of false impression of the real Jim that sits before her.  He appears as though he’s old Jim, but he is a different man than he was on CN.  Her face also has a the feeling of disbelief that it’s all really happening.  She can’t help but look at him and be thankful for the chance.  She let him slip through her fingers once, and she’s not going to let it happen again.  

Break Room #2 - Race Strategy:

Pam sits next to Jim in the break room, enjoying a bag of chips as he asks her, “So What’s your strategy for this race?”  Pam replies with a healthy dose of playful banter, “Well, I’m gonna start fast . . .Then I’m gonna run fast in the middle . . .” Jim plays along with her “strategy” by feigning surprise, “What?”  Pam continues the banter, “Then I’m gonna end fast.”  Jim keeps the joke going by asking, “Why won’t more people do that?”  Pam lightly laughs and responds, “Cause they’re stupid.”  It’s a fun little moment between them as they trade sarcastic jokes, just as they did before the Great Divide of last year.  

It’s another example of how Jim and Pam’s connection continues to strengthen as does their ability to play off one another.  Before they can play any further, the camera interrupts them.  Both Pam and Jim are confused by the camera’s presence. unsure why it’s so focused on them.  Pam is noticeably weirded out by the close proximity of the camera.  She doesn’t like the crew prying into the bubble.  They are invading her little world.  When silence ensues, Jim finally asks, “What?”  

Conference Room #2 - Caught:

Pam and Jim sit in the conference room as if they are sitting in the principal’s office.  They silently watch the video evidence of their secret playing on the TV screen.  Pam looks immediately to Jim, without saying a word to the cameras.  She is waiting for Jim to speak first.  Pam knows they’ve been caught and there’s no way out of it, but she still waits for him to make the next play.  From this point on, it’s obvious that the game was Jim’s idea, not hers.  He is clearly the lead player.  Jim fumbles for an answer, “Oh, ah... No that's not... I mean that wasn't, ah…”  Pam knows he has nothing, but she is quick to back him up, “Yeah... That was um…” hoping to give him the boost he needs to come up with something brilliant.  Unfortunately, Jim stumbles further, “I mean I can see how it would seem a bit like we uh... How it looks like um... I mean now a days you can edit anything, right? I mean you can edit anything to look like um... Anything.”  

She watches him, while slightly nodding her head, but she knows he’s not convincing anyone.  He needs a little more help so she tries to give him another set-up, “Yeah, I gave him a ride home because…”  Pam looks at Jim hoping he can piggyback on her prompt.  She’s silently telling him, “C’mon honey fill in the blank,” but instead he simply says, “Right.”  She realizes he’s expecting her to finish the sentence.  Knowing Jim’s mind is blank and they’ve been caught red-handed, Pam blurts the truth, “. . . We’re dating.” Jim is shocked she told the truth, but she is thrilled to finally let it all out in the open.   

It felt good to let her true feelings out.  After last year, she is not a fan of holding in her emotions.  In all likelihood, theyhaven’t talked about their relationship status in specific terms or their feelings.  This is the first time it’s been defined as anything.  Pam may have been waiting for Jim to find a way to play the game, but she was also waiting to see if he was going to give a relationship status indicator.  Her phrase, “we’re dating” was almost a guess.  Since he wouldn’t or hasn’t defined their relationship, she jumped in and gave it a name for the first time.  In connection to the concept that Pam is in the driver’s seat, she is again taking the lead.  FNB knows no bounds as she again rises to the challenge.  

Jim’s reaction of surprise isn’t just for her revealing the truth, it’s also for defining the relationship. She looks to him after saying it, unsure of how he’ll react .  She smiles widely shortly after she knows Jim accepts the status she designated.  Knowing she has his approval, she says “Ah, yeah” with conviction, as if this is the first time she has a clear idea on where the relationship is going.  Her tone is unmistakably indicative that this is the first time they’ve acknowledged their status to anyone, including themselves.  Although, there is agreement on where they stand, there is still a little touch of insecurity.  Pam continues to say, “ We haven't told anybody, but it's going really great. . . Right?”  It’s true they haven’t told anybody yet, including each other! She is even a little flushed at the exhilaration of defining the relationship.  For her, everything is going great.  

Pam is ready to be with Jim and has no hang-ups.  She is all smiles and gushing with love, but it all stops for a brief moment, when Jim hesitates to verify her statement.  Her heart literally stops.  She looks to him a little confused, even a little hurt that he hasn’t jumped right in to join her.  She feels the need to prod him a little further with her “Right?”  This is a strong sign that there is some insecurity within the relationship. The bubble has popped for the moment, allowing for issues of insecurity, communication, and emotional honesty issues to make their way into the euphoria filled fantasy.  

Pam knows the relationship is great for her, but she isn’t sure about how Jim is feeling.  They aren’t talking about it, and Pam can’t be certain from just reading Jim.  She is nudging Jim to communicate his feelings, which indicates communication lines are still on the mend when deeper emotional issues are at hand.  There was a time when she wouldn’t need to ask him, she knew by simply looking at him.  The goofy grin on his face isn’t enough to convince her that everything really is going great.  She needs his verbal reassurance because she doesn’t feel it.  He is a little closed off and she can’t get through that wall quite yet.  Pam is noticeably relieved when he turns to her and says, “It is going really great.” Her gushy smile resumes along with mushy eyes.  The bubble has been restored.

Conference Room #3 - Fun Run Plans:

Pam sits with Jim, Michael, and Dwight to finalize plans for the Fun Run.  In particular, they are deciding on how to spend the funds.  After a riveting argument over whether the funds should be presented on a big check or not, Pam  and Jim share a small non-verbal joke.  Dwight’s concern that there would be less money for bat birth control elicits a sarcastic remark from Jim.  The joke between them is on.  Dwight complains that Michael promised him his money would go towards bat birth control, but Michael explains he didn’t contribute that much money anyway.  Pam can’t help but see the humor in this lunacy, so she gives Jim a look paired with raised eyebrows.  Both are thinking the same thing and are laughing silently to themselves, much the same way they did in Season 2.  Old habits are becoming normal again.  

The meeting drones on as Pam explains a doctor won’t come by to pick up a check for such a small amount.  Jim immediately finds a way to bring humor into the situation by explaining, “You know what though, I actually seen ads for nurses that you can hire by the hour, for parties and bachelor events.”  While Michael and Dwight are oblivious, Pam is onto him from the start.  She knows what he’s up to and she loves him for it.  His ever so slight grin and playful eyes were immediately obvious to her.  She looks at him and matches his grin with one of her own, “good one.”  It’s hard for her to keep in the laughter, but she manages for the sake of the prank.  They are once again sharing an inside joke, where there are the only two who know the punch line.  

Break Room #3 - After Seeing “It”:

Pam is horrified after walking in on a half naked Michael.  She tells the story to Jim in the break room in a very animated fashion.  Rather than shutting down or becoming self conscious, Pam shows another facet of FNB.  She is grossed out, but she doesn’t blame herself for what happened.  She’s even able to find the humor in her situation by using phrases like “dangling participle” to describe Michael’s anatomy.  She’s even able to make fun of Michael when he arrives in the break room.  Following Jim’s lead, “You couldn’t have taken off all your clothes in the men’s room?,“ Pam turns the blame on Michael before he can blame her, “On average, how many hours a day to spend naked in your office?  Just ballpark.”  The statement is sarcastic, meant to put Michael in his place.  She knows she did nothing wrong and she’s not about to let Michael pin the fault on her.  

As predicted Michael tries to shift the blame, “European offices are naked all the time.”  Pam immediately fires back, “They're so not.”  She manages to get the best of Michael as he begins to defend himself, “Besides my shirt tail covered most of it so…”  Pam can’t help herself, she has to jab him one more time, “I didn't see where it started but I saw where it ended.”  It’s a bold FNB statement geared at making Michael just uncomfortable as she was when she walked into his office.  

Jim backs her up with, “Gross.“  She scored a major victory as Michael begins to get even more defensive by saying Pam should be comfortable seeing a naked body because she’s an artist.  Michael tells her to think of him as one of her models.  Jim immediately shoots Pam a horrified and humorous face that she can’t help but answer with eye contact.  They both share in the humor that is the lunacy of Michael.  She smiles slightly as the ridiculousness of Michael’s statements bounces between her and Jim.  It’s non-verbal communication at it’s finest.  

Holding Hands:

While the rest of the runners take off for the Fun Run, Pam and Jim lag behind.  Their lack of interest in running has nothing to do with laziness, but rather with a plan to be able to spend time together.  Staying in the back prevents anyone from seeing them together, allowing them to simply spend time alone.  Playful sarcasm envelopes Pam’s words, “Oh, we’re in last place.” She is smiling flirtatiously, all too happy to be last as long as Jim is by her side.  

Jim returns her sentiments with an equally flirtatious tone, “Oh, would you look at that.”  She continues to smile and keeps the sarcasm going, “Darn it.”  Both are thrilled to have a time alone with no on watching. To her surprise, Jim reaches for her hand.  She looks down at his fingers interlocking with hers and smiles.  She looks up at him, likely feeling the reassurance of his feelings for her.   The bubble continues to surround them as the happily hold onto one another.

Estate Sale:

Jim and Pam arrive hand in hand at an estate sale.  Jim playfully suggests they stop to take a look.  Pam finds him absolutely adorable that he would stop at a garage sale.  She responds playfully, “I don’t know I’m really committed to winning.”  Jim keeps the joke going by telling her, “OK, but what if I told you all the money you spend here, goes to preventing a disease that's already been cured.”  Pam plays along happily and agrees to go in for the purpose of the cause.  It’s almost as if playful sarcasm has replaced communicating on too deep a level for the time being.  They are still feeling each other out.  This scene is a perfect example of how the bubble continues to operate.  The sale is another escape where they are away from everyone and they can just be together.  The Fun Run is going on around them, but they are simply interested in exploring their relationship further by creating fun and new memories.  They are in their own world where playful sarcasm and garage sales are their reality.  

Pam emerges from the garage sale carrying an interesting lamp (ewwww).  She shows it to the camera crew and explains that it was only $8.  It’s interesting that she doesn’t ignore the camera as she leaves the house.  The camera crew is now part of the bubble and Pam is willing to include them in the relationship.  They already know, so it’s a safe zone.  In a very girlfriend-like way Pam passes the lamp to Jim, fully expecting him to carry it around.  Jim happily responds to the task, “Oh, and I get to carry it.”  

It may just be a lamp that Pam hands off to Jim, but the symbolism of the hand-off links back to the conference room when they were confronted about their relationship.  Pam was essentially carrying the relationship by defining their status.  She has the lead role right now, but she’s not willing to carry the whole relationship on her own. Eventually, Jim is going to have to step in and carry his half.  The handing over of the lamp symbolizes her need for him to make the next move.

Taking Care of Michael:

Pam and Jim approach Michael as he sits on the grass, ready to give up.  Pam pulls them out of their fantasy world, by disengaging their interlocked hands.  Both notice Michael’s deteriorating physical and mental state and immediately begin to take care of him, just as they always have.  Michael is annoying, but both Pam and Jim care about him as a person.  They try to motivate him through a little teasing, but soon find out that Michael is way past the point of laughing at himself.  Jim switches tactics by telling Michael, “Wow! You are a downer. We're having a pretty nice day.”  He’s hoping to convince Michael that things aren’t as bad as they seem.  Pam plays off of this, but she is also talking directly to Jim, “I’m still having a nice day.”  Her time with Jim during the race was fun and relaxing.  She loved spending time with him and making memories. Jim knows she’s talking to him and asks, “You are?”  Pam smiles at him and responds, “Yeah.” She’s reassuring him that she enjoyed her day with him.  

Jim’s question may have been playful, but she heard some of the insecure undertones.  She had the same feeling in the conference room.  As much as she’d like to keep her attention on Jim, Pam redirects her focus to Michael, “Hey Michael look at this lamp.  $8.”  She’s hoping to motivate Michael by showing him there are good things in this world.  It works as Michael can’t help but acknowledge that it was a good deal.  Pam kneels down next to Michael and continues to take care of him by saying, “And Michael, you don't have rabies. And chances are you're not going to get it anytime soon. So... you don't really have to think about it too much.”  She knows Michael wants to do good, but she also knows he’s clueless.  Michael tells her, “Pam, if everybody felt that way, nothing would get done.”  

Pam can appreciate Michael’s philosophy, but she lets him down as softly as she can, “Yeah, but there's other, better people out there who are helping.”  This is enough to motivate Michael to prove Pam wrong.  He struggles to get up off the ground to finish the race.  Pam may not have intended to motivate Michael with reverse psychology (it’s an awesome tool), but she fell right into her role of looking out for Michael, with Jim by her side.  It’s a role they’ve had since the very beginning.  It oddly connects them in a way other than humor.  They both care about other people and are willing to help.  While everyone else ran right past Michael, they stopped and tried to get Michael to finish the race.  They worked as a team, communicating with one another and with Michael on two different levels.  This is a promising sign as Jim and Pam continue to revert to the level of communication in Seasons 1 and 2.  They are going to need it when the bubble pops. 

The Bottom Line:

JAM is floating on air, but the bubble is going to pop when reality comes knocking.  Until then, sit back and smile.

- - -

JAM Playlist Song:

Sing Me Sweet

Matt Nathanson

Beneath These Fireworks

Questions to Ponder:

1.  What is your impression of FNB?  Is the transition complete?

2.  Does the bubble help or hinder JAM’s progression as a couple?

3.  Does Pam trust Jim?  How about the relationship? 

4.  What hurdles lie before Pam?  JAM?

End Notes:

Commonly Used Acronyms: PD = Pam Dichotomy, JP = Jim Paradox, CN = Casino Night, FNB = Fancy New Beesly, QTP = Questions to Ponder

This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation.  Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter 2: Dunder Mifflin Infinity by scrantonbranch

The bubble continues to surround Jim and Pam, but it is beginning to shrink as their secret is revealed to their co-workers.  Layers of the bubble began peeling off in Fun Run as the camera crew found their way into Jim and Pam’s little world.  Reality is beginning to break through the bubble as more and more people find out about their relationship.  The bubble keeps getting smaller, meaning the true reality of the relationship is getting closer and closer.   

Eventually, everything the bubble allows them to put aside for the time being will be knocking at their front door.  Issues of emotional honesty, the past, and communication gaps need to find a place in their relationship.  Not all of these issues necessarily need to be discussed in depth, but they still need to figure out how the weight of these issues is going to impact their relationship.  As the bubble shrinks the reality of this looms.  

Pam is handling the shrinking bubble with grace and even some excitement.  She has already figured out that the real euphoria is rooted in the relationship and not the bubble.  However, she is also able to see that Jim is having a  more difficult time letting go of their secret place.  She is beginning to sense his insecurities more frequently as hurdles are starting to become more visible.  Fortunately, Pam knows to afford Jim patience and dole out reassurances whenever necessary.  She’s beginning to read him with much more accuracy and is giving him exactly what he needs.  

Pam continues to take the lead in guiding and defining the relationship to both Jim and other people.  However, she is gaining more conscious awareness of this role.  She is starting to notice that Jim is letting her take the lead.  For right now, this is working, but it could eventually create problems of insecurity for Pam.  Sooner or later she’s going to need to see him take the next step.  Despite her gains as FNB, Pam still has some uncertainty when it comes to Jim.  The relationship is new and old at the same time as the rebuilding process continues.  

The bubble may be shrinking, but the euphoria continues to allow Pam to have Jim all to herself.  For her, she is still reveling in her second chance to be with the man she knows she should have been with years ago.  Her smile continues to glow as her eyes sparkle with joy and love. 

Break Room

Pam retrieves two cans of soda from the vending machine as Jim walks into the break room.  She sweetly lets him know she got him some soda and hands him on of the cans.  It may just be a can of soda, but it’s really about Pam taking care of Jim.  From the everyday little things to the insecurities he harbors in their relationship she is taking care of his every need.  Jim reciprocates by offering her chips, and she symbolically refuses.  She doesn’t need as much from him as she did in the past.  Pam has an understanding that right now Jim needs more from her than she does from him.  However, some insecurity does linger as she asks Jim if they are still on for lunch.  She tacks on a “Right?” at the end of her question just as she did in the conference room in Fun Run.  She needs little signals from him every now and then to reinforce her confidence in the relationship. His playful response of “I guess” amuses her and reassures her at the same time.  

She smiles back at him warmly, while quietly laughing at his joke.  She has always loved his humor.  She turns to walk away, but FNB comes right back and plants a kiss on his cheek.  She is being flirtatious and playful, but Pam likes the thought of just being able to kiss Jim.  She is pushing at the edges of the bubble by kissing him in public, but she likes the excitement.  To her delight, Jim responds in a positive way with another playful taunt, “How dare you,” as he grins at her.  Pam smiles over her shoulder with a fetching and outright flirtatious glance.  Subtle flirting is no longer part of the game. It’s blatant and unmistakable.   

In a beautiful example of non-verbal communication her face is asking him, “What are you going to do about it?”  FNB’s colors are shining brightly as she’s not afraid or self conscious in flirting with Jim.  She may have the foundation of a relationship in place to give her the freedom to flirt, but it’s still a huge accomplishment for her.  She has the confidence to feel attractive and flaunt it a little bit.  Pam knows her best qualities are warmth and compassion and that comes through as she flirts with Jim.  Her little kiss was all about letting Jim knows she wants to be close to him without being a hussy, (although Angela would disagree).  Pam is aware Jim needs to know she isn’t going anywhere and this is one small way she can show him.

The Secret is Out:  

Along with the rest of the office, Pam reads a memo from Toby regarding PDA in the workplace.  Pam looks up at Jim as they both look at each other with confused glances.  Jim non-verbally reassures Pam that it couldn’t possibly be them and Pam concurs with a shrug. Both feel pretty confident that their secret is safe.  

A small discussion between Michael and Toby concerning the PDA unexpectedly puts Jim and Pam’s secret out in the open.  Pam sits stoically at her desk as she waits for Jim’s reaction.  Keeping everything a secret is in Jim’s domain as he is the guardian of the bubble.  She doesn’t say a word as she waits for him to take the lead.  After a moment of silence on Jim’s part he finally utters a reluctant admission, “Yuuuup . . . . Yes we are.”  Pam is shocked as her mouth falls open.  She expected him to try and wiggle out of it the same way he did in the conference room with the camera crew.  Her eye brows raise in total surprise at his honesty.  With a lit up and flushed face, she is a relieved that their relationship is out in the open.  It was evident in Fun Run that Pam was more willing to make their relationship public.  

Now that it is, she’s thrilled.  It makes it more official and real to her.  Her enthusiasm for the reveal is apparent as she smiles widely in response to everyone’s warm reaction to the news.  Another layer of the bubble has been removed and Pam feels liberated.   She holds up the memo and happily asks, “Toby was this your fun little way of congratulating us.”  Pam has the hindsight to know their relationship was a long time coming.  The reaction of her co-workers tells her everyone else knew she and Jim belonged together.  She had no problem playing off that knowledge when confronting Toby.  Pam is literally basking in the reality that she and Jim have finally found their way to one another and now they don’t have to hide it anymore. She spent years hiding it from herself and everyone else.  After a year of self discovery, Pam doesn’t want to hide anything anymore.  She only went along with keeping everything a secret for a) Jim’s sake and b) the euphoria that accompanies the excitement of keeping a secret.  

Michael’s reaction to the news is, of course, overwhelming as he insists Pam and Jim join him center stage in front of everybody. Michael holds Pam and Jim’s hands as he takes his turn at congratulating them.  Interestingly, Pam is standing while Jim remains sitting.  This is very symbolic of their relationship roles.  They are uneven in terms of confidence and emotional honesty.  Pam has the lead in the relationship as she is a few steps ahead of Jim in terms of personal growth.  Jim remains stunted as he works the fear that blocks his emotions.   

Pam is more than willing to accept their secret is out, but she in incredibly embarrassed by Michael’s antics.  She turns red and puts her hand up to her face to hide her embarrassment.  She eyes him with annoyance, almost begging him to stop, but she knows it will continue until Michael has effectively gone too far.   As Michael drones on, her patience becomes thinner.  Pam doesn’t mind everyone knowing the truth, but she doesn’t want to remain the center of attention.  Furthermore, Jim also looks as though he’s had enough.  His enthusiasm never reached her level, and she likely noticed it.  It was time for this to end.  Michael gives Jim a hug and then spins around with the intent to hug Pam as well.  

Pam takes advantage of a ringing phone and saves herself from further humiliation by high tailing it back to her desk.  This is her attempt to return things back to normal as quickly as possible.  The bubble has lost another layer, as the secret is out, but the most important layer remains.  Pam still has Jim all to herself.  People may know about their status, but they don’t know everything.  Their own little world still exists as does the euphoria that allows for emotional exploration.  Pam has figured out that the euphoria is in the relationship itself and not the secret.

With Toby:

Pam greets Toby warmly as she and Jim enter his cubicle.  After being outed, she and Jim both knew paperwork had to be signed as per company policy.  Pam looks up at Jim as he asks Toby if they need to sign “one of those ‘we’re dating’ documents for the company.”  Pam smiles when he says “dating,” again feeling the euphoria from the relationship’s official status.  She’s also delighted that Jim is taking the lead this time, even though it‘s a small step.  It gives her some reassurance that he is on the same page as her.  Pam’s smile remains of her face and even grows as she contemplates the fact that they doing a “couple” thing by going to fill out the paperwork.  She can’t shake the joy of really being with Jim.  Toby’s response, “Oh well, you know, those were only for, you know relationships, so... if, if this is just a casual thing, there's no need, really,” elicits a confused, “Oh,” from Jim.  

Pam is equally thrown by Toby’s response but she recovers quickly, realizing that Jim could not handle it from here.  She can hear the uncertainty in Jim’s tone and jumps into action.  The relationship end of things is her realm, so Pam once again takes the lead by telling Toby, “Well, I don't want to speak for Jim, but, it's like pretty official.”  She looks into Jim’s eyes, searching for her own reassurance that she is making the correct assumption about their status as a couple.  Non-verbal communication again makes it’s mark as the foundation of JAM.  His slight smile is her permission to make it official.  It’s clear they haven’t verbally talked about defining their relationship beyond dating.  Her phrase, “pretty official” indicates that haven’t discussed having a committed long-term relationship as they’ve just been subconsciously acting on that assumption.

Pam steps out on a limb here by declaring their relationship official, thereby announcing that it’s exclusive. The relationship has been officially elevated, on Pam’s lead.  Her smile is much different than his as she is thriving on the euphoria of a the reality of an exclusive relationship, while Jim’s smile is the result of his head spinning both from the swirl of euphoria and insecurity.  Things can’t move fast enough for Pam, while they are moving a little too fast for Jim.  His head is trying to catch up to what he feels.  He is clearly along for the ride.  Luckily, the remaining bubble will allow for Jim to catch up to Pam, (more on this on the JP.).  Pam looks back to Toby and raises her eyebrows after speaking.  She feels the magnitude of taking that next step.  She almost has to convince both herself and Toby that this is really happening with Jim.  

After Jim’s head clears, he again asks if they need to sign the paperwork, only this time it’s much more cautious.  Pam is again thrown by Toby as he tells them, “Let's just wait and see what happens. You know.”  Her face is perplexed as she briefly directs her eyes in Jim’s direction.  Toby’s hesitance is unexpected, causing some insecurity to surface in Pam.  However, her concern falls primarily to Jim as she can feel the insecurity radiation off of him, as he tersely says, “What?”  She knows where Jim’s fears are regarding their relationship and his emotions.  They are out in full swing right now and she can feel it.  Pam is aware that Toby is questioning the validity of the relationship, but her face is laden with confusion as to why Toby would feel that way.  Despite her confusion, there is a strength in Pam’s face that almost resents Toby’s doubt.  She knows her relationship better than Toby.  Besides, she’s done waiting to be with Jim.  She is brimming with confidence that it’s going to work out this time.  They’ve been through too much for it not to work. 

As Toby reiterates, “Let’s just wait,” it changes both Jim and Pam’s demeanor as he doesn’t include “and see what happens.”  This puts both Jim and Pam  a little more ease on the surface.  Jim says, “Oh, okay” in a more chipper voice, but he is still clearly bothered.  Pam follows suit and smiles as she echoes Jim’s response.  Her relationship is more important that Toby’s doubt and paperwork.  She follows Jim as they retreat to their bubble.  Pam is bothered by Toby’s remarks, but she doesn’t let it stick to her.  In a sense, the bubble is coated in Teflon.  She’s not going to let hurdles from Toby or anything else detract her from building a strong relationship with Jim.  

This scene is dripping with a huge helping of symbolism as Toby represents the hurdles that await Jim and Pam when the euphoria wears off.  He is the one who outed them and he tries to halt the signing of official couple paperwork.  Their rather silent and confused response to him represents their current ability to deal with the hurdles that lie before them.   The remaining bubble is still necessary to gain strength as a couple.  This scene is all about showing the obstacles that stand in JAM’s way, in particular the communication gap.  Eventually, they are going to have to talk about their relationship and emotions beyond non-verbal communication.  Furthermore, they need to do it without a third party forcing them to define their relationship.  The bubble creates a smooth sailing atmosphere for their relationship, as it should to give them time to figure out emotions and other issues between them.  

Both sides have insecurities on different levels, but it’s obvious they aren’t talking about it.  Neither wants to leave the euphoric bubble and who can blame them?  Emotional honesty has yet to fully appear on either side as both are loving one another silently and starry eyed.  This stage is necessary if they are to reach the next level.  The hurdles of fear and insecurity will eventually need to be dealt with as they won’t simply disappear because Pam loves Jim.  There needs to be trust and a strong foundation before the hurdles fall at their feet.  Toby managed to convince them to wait, which is highly representative of their need to stay in the bubble a little while longer.   

Conference Room - Ryan’s Presentation:

In a welcome sight, Pam sits next to Jim during Ryan’s presentation to introduce the new company website, Dunder Mifflin Infinity.  It only takes a few seconds to notice that Pam is leaning into Jim.  There is an intimacy and tenderness between them, despite such a simple act. 

However, it’s also important to note that both have their arms folded.  Even though they are both very relaxed and comfortable with being so close, they are not completely open to one another yet.  There are still secrets between them that only time and patience will release.

Lunch - Dwangela:

As promised, Pam and Jim enjoy lunch together in the break room.  Jim decides that since this is a day of revealing secrets, he should tell Pam something he’s kept to himself for months.  He is certain that he has all the information on the juiciest piece of gossip in the office as he tells her about Dwight and Angela dating.  However, he thinks they’ve only been dating for six months.  Pam is surprised, but not at his little secret.  She can’t believe he knows.  She smiles widely at his news, because Dwangela is not a new topic between them.  After a year of being apart with barely any contact, it’s fun to have this with him again.  

This conversation is very reminiscent of the relationship they shared prior to CN, only this time there are no barriers.  Last season Pam wanted her friend back, and it looks as though she got her wish plus more.  Pam lets Jim ramble about how excited he is to tell her and she finds it absolutely adorable.  However, she realizes she can’t keep her secret from him either.  She corrects his timeline and reveals Dwight and Angela have been dating for 2 years.   FNB even delves into the past by mentioning Jim’s barbeque as a reference point.  The fact that Pam and Jim are even discussing this is encouraging in that they are opening up about the past without fear or barriers.

In fact, they are looking upon the past with a positive outlook, choosing to remember it fondly rather than painfully.  Furthermore, the Dwangela secret is a building block that opens communication towards total emotional honesty.  This little secret creates a little pocket of trust, which will lead to a larger pattern of trust that will be necessary when  secrets get a little deeper.  “I love you” is sometimes a tough secret to release.  Especially, when fear, insecurity and emotional blocks are in place.  

Jim is floored by Pam’s revelation.  He looks at her stunned, while she grins at him waiting for it to sink in.  It takes him a moment before he responds, “Wait. . What?”  She nods and smiles at him feeling a little playful guilt for keeping it from him.   Still stunned, Jim says, “You knew!  And you didn’t say anything.” Pam smiles right back, not about to let him off the hook, “You didn’t say anything to me.”  It’s here that both are acknowledging the gap of the last year between them.  There’s a lot they don’t know about each other’s lives or in general.  This is a little wake up call that they have a lot to learn about each other.  

There was a break in their tight connection and now they are trying to rebuild what they lost.  Moreover, their words are full of double meaning.  In terms of emotional honesty and their relationship there are still voids they are not addressing, given their current bubble status.  However, it can’t be forgotten that Jim and Pam need the bubble while they sort through emotions, the impact of the past, and rebuild communication.  Just as they spilled the beans about Dwangela to each other, the rest will follow.  Jim realizes that Pam is right and there is no argument to defeat her reasoning as he says, “Fair enough.”  The gap isn’t going to disappear and it’s promising to see both Jim and Pam choosing to address it rather than ignore it, even if on a playful level.  

Still shocked, Jim blurts, “Wow.  We should have started dating like a long time ago.”  She smiles at him thinking, “No kidding.” Both made mistakes and she knows that.  It feels a little jab to the past, but Pam knows he means it in a light hearted way.  It could’ve been this good ages ago.  Pam doesn’t say anything in response, knowing it’s better just to smile and let him be right.   That subject lies outside the bubble and they aren’t ready for it.  Besides, Pam has figured out that looking forward suits her better than looking backwards.  She has him now and that’s all that matters.   

Before Pam can redirect the conversation back to Dwangela, Phyllis walks into the break room. She apologizes for walking in on them, “Sorry, I didn't know you guys were in here.”  Jim responds casually, “Oh no, we're just sitting here,” to put Phyllis at ease.  Phyllis bluntly replies, “I couldn’t see your hands.”  Pam is shocked as she tries to hold back a little laugh.  She can’t believe Phyllis would say such a thing, “What?!”  In another show of FNB, Pam is amused rather than self conscious.  Mainly because she realizes it’s another reference to her now very real relationship with Jim.  

Phyllis’s off color statement actually made her a little giddy.  She really does like having it all out in the open.  Phyllis continues to say, “ Hey Pam, by the way, it's great that you're dating.”  Pam smiles at Phyllis, truly warmed by her comment and acceptance.  After Toby’s befuddling response the their relationship, Phyllis offers a bit more reassurance from an outside source. Phyllis may support JAM, but she’s also protective of her prospective sales as she warns Pam, “But when a new client calls, you just have to randomly assign them to a sales person. You can't base who gets new clients on who you're sleeping with that week, OK?”  Pam can’t even put together a facial response as she is beyond stunned.  Despite being flustered for a moment, FNB steps in and handles Phyllis with poise, despite being absolutely horrified.  She simply nods and smiles while dispensing a friendly, “Okay.”  Pam can actually see the humor in the situation due to it’s absolute ridiculousness.   

Pam has a strong enough sense of self to be able to laugh it off without taking it personally. Having the relationship out in the open means taking the positive, negative, and outright ridiculous responses from those around them.  Pam is handling it beautifully.  It’s safe to say that Pam wouldn’t have been able to handle this a year ago.  The gap between Jim and Pam may have been painful, but it was necessary for JAM.

Conference Room #2 - Ageism:

Pam finds herself enduring another one of Michael’s pointless meetings.  This time the topic is ageism and Michael has brought in one of the founders of Dunder Mifflin, Robert Dunder in the hopes of proving Ryan’s new technology plan is unnecessary.  After a pointless array of questions and discussion, Michael ushers the man out of the conference after realizing his point is not getting across.  In typical Michael fashion he is rude and clueless when it comes to seeing Mr. Dunder out.  He shuts the conference room door and leaves Mr. Dunder standing in the outer offices by himself.  

Adding to the situation is the fact that Mr. Dunder doesn’t have a ride home.  Pam jumps into action immediately by raising her hand, “I think that I should help him get home.”  Pam’s warmth and compassion for others has always been her strongest asset and this time is no different. Michael argues that he doesn’t need help, but Pam’s concern remains.  Before she can say another word, Jim nods signaling her to go and help.  

Pam ignores Michael and follows Jim’s lead due to some fabulous non-verbal communication. Jim’s face told her he’ll take care of Michael should he cause any problems.  She felt confident that Jim would watch out for her, so she had no problem heading out of the conference room. As a team they defy Michael’s insanity and do the right thing.  

Magic:

Pam is working quietly at her desk when Jim comes by to raid the candy dish for jellybeans.  He greets her with his usual “Hey,” and she returns the greeting with a swooning smile and vocal tone.  He appears to walk away, but quickly returns with a question, “All right I just have to ask now that we're public, um, is the magic gone?” She picks up on his humor immediately, but also understands the deeper meaning of his words.  She can sense Jim’s insecurity, despite his playful approach.  As a result, Pam finds herself doing major reassurance duty using Jim’s language of humor and sarcasm.  She smiles and sarcastically tells him, “It's funny you bring that up because . . . yes it is.”  She tries to make her voice sound as serious as possible, while also maintaining an edge of sarcasm to carry the joke. She looks away from him in the final segment of her answer to continue the joke.  

Pam knows Jim is a little perplexed by the current status of the bubble.  He wanted things to stay just between them and now everybody knows.  For Jim, their outed secret stole some of their thunder.  The redefined bubble needs to be acknowledged as it will change their relationship, but neither is willing to prod the other.  As a result, humor is the chosen form of communication. This mode of communication is very Season 2, and will accomplish the goal of reassuring each other that everything is fine between them.  She lets her face do the talking, instead of her words.  

The joke continues as Jim expresses fake disappointment in the magic ending so fast.  Pam drives the joke further by telling Jim, “I think... I mean, I don't know what it is but... I now find you repulsive.”  This is Pam’s way of reassuring Jim the magic is most definitely still with them.  She finds him attractive in every possible way and he has nothing to worry about.  Jim picks up on her message immediately,  and adds, “Alright, fair enough. It was really fun while it lasted though, wasn't it?”  Jim is relatively reassured at this point, but she realizes he needs one more little signal from her.  His smile lets her know they are still playing a little game.  She nonchalantly says, “Ehhhhh,” but pairs it with sparkling eyes and a slight smile.  The secret aspect of the bubble was fun, but she’s trying to redirect Jim’s attention to the fact that the relationship itself is the real bubble.  

The magic is within them, not just the bubble.  They are finally together and no one can take that away from them.  The magic isn’t gone, it’s just beginning.  Jim seemingly catches her message but still plays the game, “For me it was.”  Pam can’t resist as she playfully responds, “Okay,” with cheerful yet dismissive tone.  She smiles widely as he takes his leave.  She can’t help but find his approach to the subject utterly adorable.  She fell in love with him just a little bit more.  

This scene is an amazing reminder that Pam is willing to afford patience and understanding for Jim.  She understands his insecurity stems from the past and is doing all she can to secure him in the present.  She knows what he needs to hear and even knows how to convey the message to him.  Jim’s use of humor to bring up the subject was her cue to recreate and element of their past relationship.  

Their language of humor, sarcasm and non-verbal communication has always created a bubble between them that no one else could penetrate.  The bubble has technically existed since day one of their friendship.  Pam was able to show Jim that the bubble is still intact even with everyone knowing about them.  It’s still just the two of them.  The real “magic” is being together and not the thrill of the secret.

Ryan’s Opportunity:

Ryan approaches Pam’s desk with a surprising request, “Hey Pam. I haven't settled on our final design logo yet for Dunder Mifflin Infinity and I know you're into graphic design. Do you want to give it a shot? Maybe try and design the logo?”  Pam is both surprised and thrilled at the opportunity.  She happily accepts the chance to design the logo without hesitance.  FNB is shining here as Pam has the utmost confidence in her artistic abilities.  However, she is still surprised Ryan offered.   

Jim is already facing her with a shocked expression of his own, but he is clearly happy for her. Pam immediately sense Jim’s support for her, and it means the world to her.  He’s always supported her art endeavors and it feels to good to have him on her side.  Even still, she looks at him in disbelief and non-verbally asks him, “Wow, can you believe this?”  Jim gives her the best response she could ever want by offering an air high five, which Pam is more than happy to complete.  Pam can almost hear him saying, “Way to go Beesly.”  She can feel that he is proud of her and that he is always going to be there for her.   

The air high five is another example of how their connection is returning to Season 2 strength. As an extension of Pam’s assurances that they are still in their bubble, the air high five proves her point that they are truly in their own little world.  They are able to speak to one another without saying a word through both facial expression and actions.  After the communication gap of last year, it’s fabulous to see elements of their prior connection reappear.

Taking Head:

Still feeling the high of Ryan’s offer to design the logo, Pam rattles off a bunch of technical terminology in a flippant and playful tone to the camera, “Yeah, I'm gonna do some mock ups, and then turn those into thumbnails, maybe do some..splash frames. ”  It’s clear even before she owns up to it, that she is clueless about the terms she is using.  She laughs slightly at herself, able to poke fun at her lack of knowledge in this area.   

Pam fiddles with her earring nervously, but she is still thrilled to tackle the challenge of designing a logo,  “I don't know what I'm talking about but I'm excited.”  FNB shines brightly as Pam doesn’t let a little gap in vocabulary cause her to doubt her ability.  The thrill of trying something new and practice her passion is all Pam needs to meet this challenge.  Go FNB!

Ryan Asks Pam to Dinner:

With Ryan at her desk, Pam discusses her logo designs for Dunder Mifflin Infinity.  Ryan appears enthusiastic as he praises her designs and artistic ability.  Pam in encouraged by Ryan’s support especially when he tells her, “I'd love to talk to you about it more.”  Pam has no idea Ryan has an ulterior motive as she replies, “That'd be great.”  She is under the impression his interest lies in her art and she is approaching it with professionalism.  His next request smacks her right between the eyes, “Do you want to go out to dinner tonight?”  Pam is floored by Ryan’s question. 

It finally occurs to her that her art might not be what Ryan is after and she immediately tries as assess the situation further, “Oh, is it . . .” She’s trying to ask if Ryan means this as a business dinner or a date, but Ryan pursues her further by telling her, “Wear something nice.”  She is shocked by Ryan’s behavior and even baffled.  However, she is able to say “No” as soon as Ryan’s ambitions are clear to her.  Ryan is surprised and a little embarrassed at her rejection, “What?,” which flusters her a little bit more.  She didn’t expect this from Ryan and she’s not sure how to handle it.  His overconfidence is jarring to her and she is rattled.  Ryan reiterates that he just wanted to have dinner, but Pam is buying it.  She knows he meant a date and realizes she has to find a way to let him down easy.  She’s creeped out by his move on her, but she has to be careful.  He’s her boss and there’s a fine line between telling him no and slamming him. However, Pam isn’t going to let him run over her as he tried to do earlier.  

She figures the best way to get Ryan off her case is to let him know about Jim, “I'm uh, I'm dating Jim.”  Pam knows this will be a little embarrassing for Ryan, but it beats bruising his ego with a flat rejection.  This is another instance where Pam defines her relationship by stating she is exclusively dating Jim.  She knows Jim can hear her and hopes this sends him some reassurance that she is not going anywhere.  She is keeping the bubble firmly in place by keeping Ryan out.  Ryan is shocked to hear this, “You’re kidding.”  Pam looks over to Jim who gives a bemused wave in Ryan’s direction without even looking up.  Her face is a little worried as the camera pans over.  She isn’t sure how Jim is going to react.  Her experience with Roy left her preparing for jealousy.  His quiet response is a little perplexing to her as she expected him to at least say something to back her up.   

She looks at him with a face that reads, “Come on, jump in any time.” When Jim’s lips remain sealed, she takes the lead by saying, “We’re together.”  She again keeps her tone soft so as to not make things worse with Ryan.  The situation is already awkward and it’s only getting more uncomfortable.  Pam wanted Jim to be the one set the boundaries and when he didn’t she felt a little surge of insecurity.  Pam knows she can handle it on her own, but she would have liked to see Jim take more action.  

Luckily, her statement was enough to send Ryan on his way.  He replies, “That's... great, I... that's awesome,” in response to her relationship with Jim.  Ryan lightly touches her shoulder, which weirds Pam out even more.  She tries to focus on her logos, but her head snaps back in response to his touch as she thinks to herself, “Don’t touch me.”   She is trying to keep her focus on her art, hoping Ryan will take the hint that she wants the topic to change.  He picks up her tablet and tells her he’ll take a further look at logos.  She is relieved and happily says, “Okay, great.”  Ryan walks away a little embarrassed and humiliated, but Pam doesn’t feel bad for him.  She knows he used her interest in art as a pick-up tactic.  She doesn’t call him on it, seeing as he is her boss and he’s been effectively put back in his place via embarrassment.  

- - - 

The Bottom Line:

The magic remains despite the shrinking bubble.  

JAM Playlist Song:

These Are Days

10, 000 Maniacs

Our Time of Eden

Questions to Ponder:

1) What does Pam need from Jim?

2) Why haven’t Pam and Jim pulled a prank yet?

3) Does Pam feel the weight of carrying JAM?

4) Assess the status of communication between Pam and Jim.  What are the strengths and weaknesses of verbal and nonverbal communication?

End Notes:

Commonly Used Acronyms: PD = Pam Dichotomy, JP = Jim Paradox, CN = Casino Night, FNB = Fancy New Beesly, QTP = Questions to Ponder

This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation.  Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Chapter 3: Launch Party by scrantonbranch

JAM continues to waft through a field of daisies as they float happily in their newly re-established bubble fashioned from shared humor and a secret language of non-verbal communication. Both modes of communication have become stronger enabling Pam to connect with Jim on a level that approaches the standard of Season 2.  In an extension from the events of Dunder Mifflin Infinity, Pam and Jim are rebuilding further communication lines as they begin to revert to past behaviors, wade into the waters of the past, and brush the surface of their feelings for one another.   Perhaps, the most intriguing part of Launch Party are the references to the past relationship Pam shared with Jim.  Everything from talking heads, pranking, and the rooftop cues the memory to recall JAM’s past.  

The pain of the past is noticeably missing as both Jim and Pam engage in remembering only the very best of their relationship.  They are reliving the glory days as a means to find their way back to one another on every possible level.  The bond that existed in Seasons 1 and 2 was strong enough to withstand the turmoil of Season 3.  It’s crucial for this bond to regain full strength if JAM has a chance of withstanding the hurdles that lie ahead of them.  Issues of trust, emotional honesty, and bouts of insecurity on both sides need a stronger foundation than a bubble.  The euphoria will eventually wear off and all that will remain is the bond they create and the foundation on which they stand.  JAM’s willingness to let the past become part of their relationship is the first step towards restoring and upgrading their bond.  

Prior to this, the bubble only allowed for Jim and Pam to be alone with one another in the present.  The borders of the bubble have now shifted to allow them to bring the past into their little world.  This development is of paramount importance as Pam has a key role in continuing to show him the past doesn’t have to hurt, along with assuring him she won’t hurt him again.  The real trick will be figuring out where the past fits into their relationship, while ensuring the past doesn’t define their relationship.

Conference Room/Talking Head:

Pam sits in the conference room staring intently at the TV screen as the DVD Video box bounces across the screen, of course, just missing the corner. Michael is babbling about something, but Pam joins the rest of the group in completely ignoring him in favor of the mesmerizing quest of seeing the DVD Video box find it’s way into the corner of the TV screen. Jim is sitting behind her, where once again she is happy to have him so close to her.  Their body language exhibits comfort with one another as arms touch and individual personal space has fused.  He leans in closer to her as the box continues to trek across the screen.  It almost makes it in to the corner, but at the last moment, misses.  

Along with the rest of the group, both Pam and Jim are dismayed.  She looks over to him and they share a knowing glance.  There is obviously something going on between them that no one else knows about.   Jim’s talking head helps to shed light on this little mystery, “Pam claims that she saw it one day when she was alone in the conference room. Okay. I believe she thinks she saw it.”  Apparently, Pam’s supposed sighting has been a longstanding, but playful argument.  She confirms this with her own talking head by insisting she has seen the DVD Video box hit the corner, “I saw it. I saw it, and it was amazing! Who said I didn't see it? Did Jim say that I didn't see it? I saw it!”  Her tone carries notes of frustration, but she is clearly playing along with the joke.  Her little argument with Jim has transferred to the camera, as it can be assumed the crew asked her about her supposed sighting.  

She knew almost immediately that Jim is the one who said she didn’t see it.  Her face lights up and she even smiles as she refers to their jestful inside argument.  Of course, she refuses to lose and throws in one more adamant “I saw it!”  This little argument is a great example of how humor and playful banter continues to form a bubble around Jim and Pam.  Even though the whole world knows about their relationship, they still have a few things that are just between them.  They may have shared with the cameras, but it’s still their little joke.  

This pair of talking heads reminisces slightly into the past, as it has the same feel as a set of talking heads from the Pilot episode.  Jim makes a comment that mixed berry is Pam’s favorite flavor of yogurt.  Pam’s talking head immediately follows his with her saying, “Jim said mixed berries? Well, yeah, he's on to me. Um…”  They unequivocally know one another better than anyone else.  It’s encouraging to see this dynamic return on such a strong level and with the added bonus of humor.

Back in the conference room, Michael continues to drone on as interest in the Video box intensifies after several close calls with the corner.  Finally, the box begins to follow a promising line of travel to the upper left hand corner of the TV.  Jim leans closer into Pam and whispers, “Wait for it.”  She whispers back a subtle, “Uh-huh” in response, noticing the same track of the box.  The excitement intensifies as the box inches closer to the corner.  Pam and Jim are sitting closer to one another as they share in mutual excitement.  

In a surprising show of closeness in front of their co-workers, Jim is holding onto Pam’s arm.  Neither is uncomfortable with the display of closeness in public.  It is very slight, but it’s not a usual behavior for a meeting during work hours.  This goes to show, that Jim and Pam have accepted the new boundaries of the bubble that include their co-workers.   However, it is important to note, this is about as close to PDA as they will get when at work.   The Video box argument is something fun Pam shared with Jim, so it’s understandable that it would be a moment of closeness as the box neared the corner of the TV.  

Pranking Dwight:

Last week’s development of humor based communication extends into a full-blown prank on Dwight.  Pranking has traditionally been a connecting factor between Pam and Jim.  Both have admiration for the other’s wit and humor.  Plus, pulling a prank allows them to spend time together in their bubble, just as it always did before.  While they continue to rebuild their connection to pre-CN levels, pranking is the inevitable next step.  The call to the past continues as Pam joins Jim in a traditional act of pranking Dwight.   Along with humor, Pam and Jim are making room for the past to become part of their relationship in a positive way, coupled with a laugh.

Jim makes his way to Pam’s desk after Dwight’s obnoxious antics have worn through his last nerve.  His annoyance still apparent he asks, “What would you say if I told you we could pull a prank on Dwight and at the same time not be working?”  Pam is hesitant to go along with Jim’s request.  She shrugs and breaks eye contact with him to signify her uncertainty and reluctance to prank a broken hearted Dwight.  Pam finds Dwight utterly irritating and annoying, but she is sympathetic to his feelings.  He’s hurting right now and she’s not interested in adding insult to injury.  She looks back up at Jim, almost apologizing for her reluctance.  She doesn’t want to let him down but it doesn’t seem right to her to kick someone when they’re down.  

Jim responds to her hesitance immediately with a disappointed, “What?”  Pam is quick to explain, “He's going through a break-up.”  She is trying to explain her reasons for backing out, but also hoping to convince Jim to leave Dwight alone.  Pam doesn’t want Jim to think it’s the prank she’s rejecting.  She knows how careful she has to be with Jim when it comes to rejection.  CN has scarred him and she can feel that weakness in him.  She doesn’t want to tell him no, but her moral center won’t steer her any other way.  As a result, she wants to assure Jim that Dwight’s feelings and situation are the basis for her refusal.  Jim picks up on cue perfectly, but refuses to back down, “Yeah, I'm aware of that. But he's also being super annoying. And I'm not a perfect person.”  She smiles slightly at his reasoning, fully empathizing with Jim’s irritation with Dwight.  She knows how much Dwight annoys Jim at times and she finds this somewhat amusing.  

Jim has the patience of a saint, but there is a point where he just can’t take it anymore.  She’s glad to hear he acknowledges the fault in pranking someone when they’re already down, but she finds it absolutely adorable when he overshadows his empathy with his admission at being imperfect.  However, she is not convinced until an air horn assaults her ears with a deafening scream, followed closely by Dwight’s obnoxious voice.  Dwight is not just annoying Jim anymore. Pam is not about to put up with an air horn all day long, no matter how much sympathy she feels for Dwight.  Her look of sympathy is immediately replaced with one of annoyance, “What kind of prank are you thinking?”  She’s in as long as it isn’t something to harsh.

As usual, Jim has a brilliant idea that is relatively harmless.  It won’t hurt Dwight, but it will keep him distracted from the air horn, while keeping Pam and Jim amused.  Jim’s idea revolves around making Dwight think the Dunder Mifflin Infinity website is alive by sending him IM’s from the website.  They send a cryptic message, “Who am I?“ to get his attention.  After Dwight takes the bait, Jim dictates, “Not sure. Just became self-aware. So much to figure out. I think I am programmed to be your enemy. I think it is my job to destroy you when it comes to selling paper.”  Pam can barely keep a straight face.  It’s genius and so funny.  They are once again in the bubble where they share inside jokes and laugh together.  

The fundamental connector of humor continues to bring them closer. Knowing Dwight might suspect them, Jim and Pam are careful to appear as if they are working, rather than colluding on a prank.  Pam appears interested in whatever is in the folder Jim has at her desk to mask their master plan.  They then receive a message from Dwight asking, “How do I know this isn’t Jim.” With JAM synergy at it’s finest, Pam sends, “What is a Jim?,”  after Jim begins to walk a way from her desk.  They never cracked a smile or gave a hint that they were behind the IM messages.  The prank is now in full swing, ready for a day of stringing Dwight along.  

Pam keeps the prank going by building off a conversation she hears going on between Jim and Dwight.  Dwight is frustrated by the website selling more paper and she hears Jim say, “You look worried.”  Dwight denies his worried state ardently, despite the fact that it’s written all over his face.  Pam decides this is a perfect time to send an IM, “You do look worried.”  This not only throws Dwight further off the scent of a prank, but it also distracts him from annoying Jim.  Jim is immediately at her desk, to plan the next move.  

Pam quietly reads Dwight‘s message out loud, “Here's a suggestion computer. I assume you read binary so why don't you zero one one, one one one one, zero one one zero one one.”  She is slightly amused by Dwight‘s response, but her delight is geared mostly at Jim as she wonders how he’s going to respond.  Jim doesn’t disappoint as he finds the perfect response, “Okay. Um, while you were typing that I searched every database in existence and learned every fact about everything. And mastered the violin.”  She smiles, thoroughly impressed with Jim’s witty response.  There are so many things to love about him and his quick-witted humor is just one of the reasons she is hopelessly in love with him.  He gives her another reason to smile as he adds, “Oop, and sold more paper,” after he noticed the numbers on the dry erase board go up in the computer’s favor.   The humor between them in undeniable as they share a little laugh at Dwight’s expense.  It’s not hurting Dwight, and it’s actually motivating him further to reach his goal.  Win-Win-Win!

A little later, Pam listens carefully as Jim whispers some crucial information into her ear just before he leaves to drive Michael to New York.  She waits until Jim and Michael take their leave before putting her information to use with a new IM, “Oh. I didn't realize we could use the leads we stole from Staples.”  Dwight’s horrified look in response to her message is immensely satisfying to Pam.  The camera pans over to her as she leers at him with a scheming smile.  She doesn’t condone Dwight’s method of stealing contacts, so pranking him has taken on a whole new meaning.  Now, he deserves it.  She can’t wait to tell Jim all about Dwight’s reaction as she smiles to herself.   

Pranking Dwight has been full for most of the day, but Pam’s moral center again finds a soft spot for Dwight despite his annoying attributes and theft of contacts from Staples.  The broken heart he carries around again reaches out for Pam’s sympathies.  Angela comes up to Pam’s desk and asks if Pam can fix her up with a new man.  Pam knows Dwight overheard the conversation and can see his hurt face.  A sliver of his pain ripples through her face as her brow knots.  She feels bad for him and decides enough is enough.  The prank was fun and Dwight did deserve it, but her moral center won’t allow her to continue when Dwight is so clearly hurt.  She decides to wrap up the prank on a positive note by sending him a little boost in an IM, “You beat me. You are the superior being.”  Dwight may have lost Angela, but Pam can at least try to restore his self-esteem.  She had the power to make him feel better and she jumped at the chance.  Pam likes a good prank, but she also knows when it’s time to stop.  Dwight needed someone to look out for him and she took his call for help.  Pam is all about warmth and compassion.  No matter how much she’s changed, these characteristics are central components of her character.

Break Room:

In what appears to now be a normal activity, Pam and Jim are eating lunch together in the break room.  Michael appears in the doorway and addresses both of them, “So. This is the dealio. God has smiled upon me and given me two tickets to the big party in New York tonight. What are you doing this evening?”  Pam is immediately excited.  Her face lights up at the prospect of going to a fancy party in the city.  FNB is in full stride here, as Old Pam wouldn’t be too keen on venturing into such uncharted territory.  She looks to Jim with a still excited expression on her face.  Non-verbal communication takes over completely as Pam silently asks, “Do you want to go?“  while also letting him know she really wants to go the party.  Jim answers her non-verbally with an unmistakable affirmative expression.  Both are surprised at Michael’s offer, but jump at the chance to spend an evening together at a party in the city.  She nods her head and slightly mouths, “Yeah?”  She is thrilled to see him nod “yes” back to her.   She already has romantic visions of spending the evening in an exciting city with Jim by her side.  It’s a chance to be alone and get away.  

Michael can’t help but comment on Pam and Jim’s silent conversation, “Look at that. They have their own little language now. Like twins.”  He couldn’t be more on target as Jim and Pam can speak to each other with just a look or a simple expression.  They’ve always had this skill, but Michael never noticed.  Season 3 took a toll on this mode of communication, but it’s clear they are quickly approaching the previous standard from Seasons 1 and 2.  Re-establishing this link is crucial in rebuilding and creating verbal communication lines, which have always been a weakness.  In addition, Michael calls them twins, which is also very fitting.  They are two of a kind in terms of personality, humor and mutual understanding.  

Pam has changed over the last year, but not at the expense of who she is at her core.  Likewise, Jim changed over the last year, but he is finding his back home a little bit more everyday.  They may have been on separate paths last year, but they mirrored each other almost every step of the way.  They both have so much to learn about one another, but at the same time, they continue to know each other better than anyone else.  That kind of ready made communication and understanding is worth it’s weight in gold.  

Jim speaks up and lets Michael know, “Sure, we’ll go.”  Pam is delighted to hear him say it out loud with so much enthusiasm.  It’s going to be a fun evening and she is riddled with anticipation. Unfortunately, Michael misrepresented the condition of the tickets.  Thinking he’s found himself a ride to the party he says, “Alright. Well fight it out amongst yourselves. I was thinking Pammy but boys night out is also good.”  Jim is confused and asks, “Oh I'm sorry. What?”  After a few seconds, Pam catches on and realizes the real motivation behind Michael’s offer, “One of the tickets is for him.”  The appeal of a fancy party in New York has suddenly worn off in a big way. Michael leans over to Pam’s ear and annoyingly tells her, “Just let me know who the winner is,” in his innocent, yet creepy way.  

As soon as Michael leaves the room it becomes “serious” business in regards to just who is going to be stuck with Michael.  Dodging Michael immediately becomes a game.  Both knew what the other was thinking and are quick to say, “Not it,” in total unison.  It’s a tie with no clear winner.  Jim follows up with a hasty, “Nope,”  but Pam won’t let him win.  She points at herself and playfully proclaims, “I won.”  Pam knows she has a victory in the bag regardless of whether or not she said “not it” first.  Jim protests with the same playful air, “Definitely not. If anything it was a tie.”  Pam comes right back, “Tie goes to the girlfriend,” with a flirty little smirk at the end of her statement.  She knew she’d win this game before Jim even responded.  There’s no way he’d make her deal with Michael for an entire evening in New York by herself.  It was a given from the start that Jim would be the one driving Michael to New York.  However, it was still fun to engage in playful banter.  The playful banter was cute, but perhaps the most interesting part of this scene, was Pam’s use of the word “girlfriend.”  This is the first time either one of them has referred to their relationship with such a strong adjective.  

The most either has ever used prior to this are the descriptors of “dating” and “official.”  Once again, Pam is the one to use a stronger relationship indicator.  She continues to be in the lead when it comes to defining and maintaining the status of their relationship.  Her reference brought zero reaction from Jim, which indicates this is something they’ve talked about.  That in itself is very telling that verbal communication lines are being established.  By telling Jim ties go to the girlfriend she is in effect fully expecting him to fulfill his role as her boyfriend and relieve her from Michael.  His lack of protest goes to show he is only too happy to live up to her standards. 

She knows Jim has not intention of seriously fighting her on this which allows her to smile at him playfully.  She knows he’ll take care of her, which is an indicator that trust is building between them.  FNB may be able to take care of herself, but she’s not above allowing Jim to be there for her when she needs him.  Unlike Jim, she trusts him almost completely, despite the unknowns between them.  The real challenge is showing Jim he can trust her to take care of him, especially in terms of his heart.

Conference Room - Roof Request:

After the satellite party festivities have begun, Pam finds herself taking care of Michael by informing him of Ryan’s instructions for the webcam introductions.  Just when she needed it the most, she feels Jim lightly touch her arm to redirect her attention towards him.  In soft-spoken voice he asks her, “Hey, quick question. If I take a pizza, do you think you could take some sodas and some napkins up to the roof?”  Pam smiles at his surprising and welcome request, “I’m all over it.”  She makes her way to the stacks of napkins and paper plate and starts taking needed items as Jim works on getting them a pizza.  It’s not a fancy party in New York, but for Pam it’s even better.  Their first rooftop “date” (The Client) is full of beautiful memories, but it’s tarnished by her response to Jim calling it a date.  Now is her chance to make a piece of the past come back to life in a positive way.  Furthermore, the chance to escape a work party and just be alone is very appealing.  She is all too happy to be in the bubble away from everyone and everything with Jim all to herself.

Rooftop Date:

In a scene reminiscent of the first rooftop date, Pam and Jim sit on lawn chairs as they enjoy the pizza and sodas pilfered from the party.  The quiet of the roof creates a warm atmosphere where they can feel each other.  The roof is almost a sacred place that is just between them.  Returning to that location for a real date is a way to bring the past into their relationship without the hurt.  Exploring the past is becoming a trend between them that started in DMI.  The re-emergence of humor based communication and discussing Dwangela created a safe place to begin discussing the past.  However, they are careful about what elements of the past come to light.  They are choosing to focus on happy memories that brought them so close to each other in the first place. As they rebuild their connection, they are remembering all the reasons why they love each other.  Reminiscing on this level will help when it comes time to find a place for the pain of the past to reside.  Pam is in the middle of the difficult process of showing Jim she won’t hurt him again.  

By bringing up the positive aspects of the past and reinforcing them with the happiness of their current relationship, she stands a stronger chance of gaining his trust.  The pain of the past may not be am in depth topic of discussion but it’s impact will be felt.   Remembering the best of the past can help to reconcile the pain.  The rooftop “date” from The Client was a sweet moment between them that Pam remembers fondly, (up until the disaster of the following day).  It’s likely a moment she replayed over and over again after Jim left for Stamford.  Jim was right, it was their first date and it was wonderful.  Pam can’t help but grasp onto the second chance that lies before her as she finds herself on the same roof with the same man, but without constraints.  

This is her chance to rewrite the past and make this rooftop date count without any doubt.  It appears the nostalgic feel of the roof has inspired their conversation of recalling the moment where each knew they liked the other.  It’s impossible to know who started this line of conversation, but it’s clear right from the start that Pam has fallen into the task of providing Jim with assurances of her feelings.  She does most of the talking as he asks the questions.  He asks her, “Do you remember what you said to me on my fist day of work, just before you walked me over to my desk?”  She smiles widely at his question. The warm memory of his first day is crystal clear in her mind, “Yeah . . .“ Jim gives her a shocked smirk at her affirmative response.  She loves it that he thought she wouldn’t remember.   To her credit, Pam remembers every moment she had with Jim.  Without hesitance she recites the line, “ . . . enjoy this moment, because you're never going to go back to this time before you met your desk mate Dwight.”  She smiles as she speaks, given the pleasant nature of the memory.  

Jim loves it that she remembers it like it was yesterday.  He softly says, “And that's when I knew.” She looks away smiling feeling the warmth of Jim’s emotions.  She always knew he had feelings for her for a long time, but it was amazing to hear he had them the first day they met.  Jim prods her a little further by asking, “You?”  She doesn’t hesitate with her answer.  Almost a year without him has given her plenty of time to replay every moment she ever spent with him.  She knows exactly when she liked him, “You can up to my desk, and said, this might sound weird, and there's no reason for me to know this, but that mixed berry yogurt you're about to eat has expired.”  She knows his every word as if she had spoken them herself.  She looks away from him as she conjures up the memory.  Her eyes are almost watching it play across a screen in front of her.  It’s a nice memory for her and she’s happy to revisit it.   

It isn’t until the end of her story that she looks Jim in the eye.  His silly statement about an expiration date was the moment she knew and she wants him to see it in her eyes.  Pam may not know the extent of Jim’s insecurities or the blocks on his emotions, but she can feel them to a certain degree.  She knows he needs to see that her feelings for him apply to both then and now.  This goes back to her disastrous apology on CN, “I’m sorry you misinterpreted things.”  She has to show Jim he was right all along to alleviate his doubts about how she feels and his fears of getting hurt again.  By referencing such an early memory between them, she is providing Jim the truth he deserves to know along with reassurance that she continues to have the same feelings.  

He looks at her a little confused and disbelievingly asks, “That was the moment that you knew you liked me?”  She looks at him warmly and says, “Yup.”  Her voice is soft but still reassuring. The moment she described was very special to her and she wants him to know that.  She allows the emotion of her memory to fill her eyes, for Jim and Jim alone to see.  Jim responds to Pam facial expression, but he remains perplexed by her chosen moment.  It wasn’t romantic or a grand gesture, it was just him being a total dork.  After a few moments of contemplating he asks, “Can we make it a different moment?”  She is amused by his question and smiles widely in his direction, “Nope.”  The same warmth and emotion she showed him earlier is still on her face. She loves him for being a dork and her face is telling him she’s glad he’s back.  

The fact that Jim and Pam have begun to talk about emotions, even if on such a light level, is highly encouraging given their troubled past of emotional honesty.  The very carefully chosen word, “like” is the stepping stone to delving into much deeper emotions that exist between them. Pam is well aware of her feelings, but she is careful to let too much out too fast.  She knows Jim isn’t ready.  His fears of getting hurt keep him from exploring his feelings for Pam on too deep a level at this point.  This sweet and light conversation gives both the opportunity to scrape the surface of emotional honesty without waking up any fears.  

Instead, they are slowly exploring the reality of their feelings while building a foundation of trust and communication.  Opening up to one another is a slow process, despite the connection they share.  The relationship is still very new and new communication lines have just begun to develop.  The past harbors an entire point of view that neither knew about the other due to barriers of fear and morality.  Just as the rooftop is a gentle reminder of the past, so is the conversation.  As they remember past events, the emotions of the past are bound to pay a visit. Establishing positive memories for emotions will help immensely as emotional honesty becomes more of a reality.  The pain of the past will become less of an impediment if positive memories outweigh the negative.

As the party winds down in the conference room, Jim and Pam remain on the roof happily encased in their intimate little world.  Jim suggests a toast to cap off their evening, “A toast, better make it good. To avoiding a class two felony charge.”  Pam holds up her can of soda and completes the toast.  Jim may have been joking around, but the toast itself is symbolic of a toast to JAM.  It’s a new beginning where the past doesn’t necessarily weigh them down.  It’s part of who they are as a couple and they are beginning to embrace it.   The past has it’s painful memories, but it is also full of every reason why they fell in love. 

The Bottom Line:

The past is upon us to build the future.

- - -

Questions to Ponder:

1)  What is the most important thing Pam needs Jim to know about her past point of view? 

2) Should Jim and Pam continue to explore the past?  Do they need to address the negative aspects in equal measure (think beyond CN!)? 

3) Is Pam doing a good job of assuring Jim she won’t hurt him?  Should she be doing anything differently?

End Notes:

End Notes:

Commonly Used Acronyms: PD = Pam Dichotomy, JP = Jim Paradox, CN = Casino Night, FNB = Fancy New Beesly, QTP = Questions to Ponder

This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation.  Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter 4: Money by scrantonbranch

Pam continues to glow as happiness emanates through every pore of her body.   She is just beaming with contentment as her relationship with Jim continues to grow and evolve.  She knows she is where she belongs and has never been more at home.  Although, this was a very Jim-centric episode, Pam’s behavior throughout the episode still offers insight into both Pam herself and JAM.  FNB continues to spread her wings as she continues to try new things and stand up for herself.  She isn’t afraid of her emotions, nor does she walk around in constant fear. She has confidence in herself and Jim, which serves as the means to keep JAM on track.  

She continues to take the lead in the relationship, however, she is much more subtle.  She feels Jim gaining strength and by the end of the episode, she knows Jim has taken one of the reins. Pam has known from the start that Jim’s fears were holding him back and she offered all the time, patience, and reassurance he needed.  It finally paid off as Jim rushed towards her with a passionate kiss.   

For the first time since CN, she can “feel” him.  Pam has been waiting for him to come back in that way and it appears he finally found his way.  She isn’t wondering how he feels anymore. She felt a big shift in Jim and now comes the new challenge of figuring out his new set of needs. Jim may have joined her in the lead, but Pam knows Jim is still learning to trust her.   

Communication continues to build as non-verbal cues are continually exchanged at an increasing rate.  As external emotional honesty becomes more of a reality on both sides building communication has never been more important.  Some strong emotions are getting ready to surface beyond the constraints of internal awareness.  Those feelings are going to need a strong foundation of verbal and non-verbal communication.  As it stands now, communication lines are progressing perfectly.  Pam is actually communicating with Jim without even realizing it, by simply being herself.  Through her humor, warmth, and newfound sense of adventure, Pam exhibited every single reason why Jim loves her.  It’s no wonder he found his way back to her.

Schrute Farm Reservation

Pam most likely sees Jim’s amused face and overhears the conversation between them.  She can’t resist the urge to have a little fun.  She calls Dwight and asks about getting a room at Dwight’s bed and breakfast to entertain both herself and Jim.  Jim’s smile proves she hit the right note.  She took the time to look up Dwight’s B&B on Trip Advisor to add to her little joke.  Dwight asks, “How many in your party?”  Pam confusingly answers, “Two?”  She didn’t actually intend to book a room, as she was just playing around with Dwight.  However, she doesn’t dispute Dwight’s booking.  Her curiosity and sense of adventure override her original intent of just joking around.  Jim is noticeably surprised at her actions, but Pam is undeterred.  She smiles in response to Dwight’s list of activities and  briefly looks at Jim, “telling” him to relax.  It all sounds so ridiculous, but she’s a good sport and this could be fun.   Aside from that, Pam knows Dwight is going through a tough time.  She has a soft spot for Dwight as he nurses his broken heart. Visiting Dwight’s B&B is a show of support as well as personal entertainment.   

Pam’s intention may have been simply to play with Dwight, but she inadvertently took a big step with Jim.  In another show of taking the lead she arranged for them to go away together as couple.  It wasn’t her intention, but Pam shows no fear when it becomes apparent that she will be spending the night with Jim at Dwight’s farm.  It’s another example of how Pam continues to take the lead in the relationship.  She’s taking it to a new level by finding the courage to explore uncharted territory.  She’s not afraid to take that next step and see where it goes. 

Dinner with Michael:

As Michael heads out for the day, Kevin asks him attend his band’s gig, but Michael says he can’t  because he has “a thing tonight.”  Apparently, Michael’s “thing” has been happening for a while.  Both Jim and Pam are dying to know just what the “thing” is all about.  There lines in this scene seem very contrived  with the sole purpose of getting Michael to spill his secret.  They’ve likely noticed Michael’s odd behavior and want to get to the bottom of it.  With perfect synergy they do their best to crack Michael’s secret.  Pam sends Jim a strong non-verbal cue geared towards getting Jim to say something to Michael.  Jim acknowledges her cue immediately and steps into action, “Uh, Michael.  That reminds me, uh, if the invitation still stands, Pam and I would love to have dinner tonight.”  

Pam smiles to back up Jim’s claims, but it’s clear there isn’t genuine anticipation to spend an evening with Michael.  Michael is genuinely disappointed as he again explains he has “a thing tonight.”  Jim feigns his own disappointment with barely detectable sarcasm, “Darn it.”  Pam follows with her own version of fake disappointment with “Shoot.”  She eyes Jim with a strong face, to let Jim know they have to try harder.  They’re losing the battle. Michael offers to move dinner to the weekend, but Jim refuses, “No, we can’t.”  Pam picks up the signal and moves into action, “We only had tonight free and we really wanted to spend it with you.” She exudes warmth as a way to rile up Michael enough to tell his secret.  It almost works as Michael’s frustration grows.  He is truly upset, but he doesn’t drop a single clue.  

Pam gave it her best shot, but came up empty handed.  Jim tries one more time by asking, “What have you got going on tonight?”  Unfortunately, Michael evades his efforts, “You wouldn’t understand, it’s a secret.”  Realizing defeat Jim jokes around by echoing Michael’s answer, “I wouldn’t understand or it’s a secret.”   Pam acknowledges the failure as well by repeating the same line “You wouldn’t understand, Jim, it’s a secret.”  Her voice is also playful, but her joke is also drenched in defeat.  Better luck next time.  

Arriving at Schrute Farms:

As Jim and Pam arrive at Dwight’s farm, they playfully discuss different names for the B&B. Pam begins by calling it the “Beets Motel,” much to Jim’s delight.  She smiles at his amusement, clearly happy to impress his sense of humor.  His response, “The Beets Motel? That is . . .Wow,” likely brings a smile to her face.  As if there was ever any doubt, they share the same sense of humor and this proves it once again.  She playfully says, “Thank you,” clearly proud of her creativity and ability to make Jim smile.  Jim tries to take a crack at it and says, “Borsht Hotel.” Pam  thinks it’s cute, but it’s not enough to impress her, “Ehhhh.”  The ideas, however, keep coming to her, “Embassy Beets . . . Radish Inn.”   

Jim is again amused and impressed as he says, “How are you doing this?”  She tries to suppress a giggle as she answers, “I don’t know.”  The humor of their situation is good motivation for her to keep coming up with names, but her primary reason is the fact that Jim loves it.  He’s smiling and that’s reason enough for her to keep playing.  As always, humor brings them together.  This scene is a golden example of how Pam reminds Jim of why he loves her. She is simply being herself, with the confidence that Jim likes (loves) her just as she is.  As Mose, runs along the side of the car, Pam becomes even more aware of just important a sense of humor is going to be for the night.

Checking In

Pam sits comfortably on the couch inside the house as Dwight begins to explain the availability of three rooms, “America, Irrigation and Night time.”  Pam looks at Jim briefly, but takes the lead and requests Irrigation.  She is weirded out by her surroundings but still very amused.  In all likelihood, Irrigation sounded like the most interesting to her and peaked her curiosity.  Jim is all too happy to play along as he compliments her choice of the room.  Dwight asks if they have any special needs and Jim immediately jumps in with a joke, “Yes, we will be requiring a bedtime story.”  

Pam loves to see Jim’s sense of humor come out to play.  It’s wonderful to see him having fun with the situation at hand.  It’s like watching an artist create a masterpiece.  She can barely hold back a smile as Dwight refuses to comply.  Jim persists, “Not even Harry Potter?”  She is further delighted as she looks over at him.  His respond to Dwight so perfect she can hardly stand it. Pam is happy to see Jim is having fun despite finding himself in Dwight’s bizarre world.  To add to the weirdness is Mose coming out from a corner as Dwight tells him to get Jim and Pam’s baggage.  Their surrounding could be any more ridiculous, but the possibility of humor remains.     

Dwight leads Jim and Pam to their room which is full of pipes and other implements for water as per the irrigation theme.  The propensity for humor only grows as Jim and Pam take a look at their surroundings.  Dwight explains, “As of this morning, we are completely wireless here at Schrute Farms.  As soon as I find out where Mose hid all the wires, we’ll get that power back on.”

As Dwight takes his leave, Pam can’t help but wear a disbelieving smile. Half of her is amused, while the other half is horrified.  What universe have they entered?  Although there are plenty of reasons to leave, Pam wouldn’t trade it for the world.  Everything is so horrible, it’s funny.  With Jim by her side it looks to be a fun and memorable evening no matter what happens.  Pam knows Jim well enough to be confident this quirky form of entertainment is right up their alley.

First Night Away:

Pam tries to make herself comfortable on one of the small beds in the room.  Jim plops down on an identical bed across from her, causing it to complain with a loud noise under his weight.  She shifts her weight and rocks back and forth, as she is a little nervous.  The weight of her decision to spend the night with Jim is beginning to make itself known.  She is well aware that this is a big “first time” in their relationship. It’s a big step to go away together and she’s now realizing the seriousness of taking this step.  On top of that, this setting isn’t exactly ideal.  “Two” beds surrounded by irrigation tools isn’t the most romantic atmosphere.  Her nervousness is mirrored by Jim as they sit silently for a moment.  There is a lot not being said as they avoid eye contact.  

There’s a little bit of tension and uncertainty as they survey their surroundings, carefully avoiding the sight of one another.  This is a big step, so it’s only natural that both are trying to find their way around the awkwardness.  In this situation, it doesn’t matter how comfortable they are around one another.  The first night away together is a big step and little scary.  Especially, considering it wasn’t really planned.  Jim is the first to break the silence, “Mmmmmm . . . I’d say one in six.”  Pam is a little startled and confused, “What?”  She’s not sure what he means by that as she stares him down.  Jim is quick to respond, “Oh, I thought you asked me what our chances were of being murdered here tonight.”  Pam is clearly relieved as she laughs.  

In an instant he brought back some comfort in an awkward situation and she genuinely appreciates that.  He knows exactly what she needs without asking, which greatly calms her. They continue to take in the surroundings of their room, although still a little nervous.  However, they are nervous “together.”  Even though their surroundings and the situation itself is a little odd, it fits them perfectly.  The humor of their surroundings further their ability to connect as they work past the awkwardness and take the next step.  

Bedtime Story:

It continues to be a less than romantic evening as Jim’s request for a bedtime story comes to fruition.  Dwight is sitting on one of the small beds reading an excerpt from a Harry Potter novel as Jim, Pam and Mose listen.  Jim is propped up against the headboard, while Pam lays back on him.  She is perfectly content with his arms wrapped securely around her.  Even with a frightened Mose at the foot of the bed, everything is perfect.  She is right where she wants to be with Jim surrounding her.  

Pam’s fingers lightly caress Jim’s forearm as she relishes in the closeness of the moment.  It’s all about being together for her.  The circumstances and oddities of the evening don’t matter.  Every moment with him  is special and means something.  Despite the imperfection and all out weirdness of their first nigh away, it’s perfectly “them.”  Both are wearing slight smiles, even after eyeing Mose.  This is something they will share and laugh about for a long time to come.

A Bump in the Night:

A loud repetitive banging wakes Jim and Pam.  The light flips on in their bedroom window as Pam’s curiosity refuses to rest.  Jim asks, “Wait, you’re going out there?,” with a great deal of hesitance.  Pam easily answers, “Yeah” as if this is the most natural thing in the world.  She then playfully calls him a coward.  Pam couldn’t have called it any better, as Jim’s fears are essentially making him a bit cowardice when it comes to his heart and his emotions.  While Jim waits safely in the room, Pam is brave enough to go out and explore.  She’s not afraid of what she’ll find or what could happen.  This goes for mysterious sounds and her new relationship with Jim.   This is what gives her the lead in the relationship.  While Jim is afraid to explore all his feelings, Pam is willing and able to search for what’s hiding in the dark.  Her emotions don’t scare her and neither do Jim’s feelings for her (once he finds them).  

Later the same night, another noise causes the light to go on again in Jim and Pam‘s room.  This time it’s a painful moan echoing through the house.  Pam is done exploring for one night and tells Jim, “It’s your turn.”  In another beautiful stroke of symbolism, Pam’s words speak the truth. Pam has essentially been carrying the weight of JAM ever since Jim returned from New York in The Job.  It’s time for him to at least grab one of the reins and help steer.  She needs to see he is more than just a passive participant in the relationship.  It’s his turn to not only explore, but take care of her (just as she takes care of him).  Pam is strong and confident, but she still needs Jim to offer reassurance of where they are going as a couple.

Break Room - Michael:

Pam is next to the coffee station in the break room, completely obscured by Kevin as Michael walks into the room.  Failing to notice Pam’s presence he proceeds to say the exact wrong thing (shocker), “ What'cha talking about? . . . . Okay, I know what's going on. You're talking about Jim and Pam, if they're having sex, what it looks like, I know, I think---” Instead of getting flustered and embarrassed, FNB steps out and simply calls Michael’s name as a way to signal his inappropriate comments.  Her transformation continues to stun as Old Pam would have been horrified.  Pam is clearly comfortable in her own skin, no matter what the situation.

Andy’s Move on Angela:

Pam is watching as Angela takes notice of Andy’s present on her desk.  Dwight is noticeably effected by Andy’s success in gaining Angela’s attention.  Pam looks over at Jim just as he looks up at her.  Both feel bad for Dwight.   Pam raises her eyebrows as a way to speak to Jim.  She wants to do something to help, but is at a loss on what to do, “Poor Dwight.  What do we do?” Pam knows what it is to hurt and it’s hard to see someone hurt as much as Dwight is at the moment.  Both Jim and Pam may tease Dwight constantly, but they do care about him.  

Dwight’s Recorder

Out of concern for Dwight, Jim and Pam make their way downstairs to check on him and make sure he’s okay.  They watch as Dwight pathetically plays his recorder while slumped against the garbage can in the parking lot.  Pam’s compassion for Dwight is apparent on her face as she watches with genuine worry.  She says, “Man, Angela really had a hold on him,” to Jim who watches Dwight silently.  Pam’s statement is quite ironic considering she has a similar hold on Jim without even realizing it.  She knows Jim had strong feelings for her on CN, but she never knew just how much of a hold she had on him.  Dwight’s behavior is a personification of Jim’s pain playing out right in front of her.  She may have an understanding of Jim’s previous pain, but she can never truly know just how much he was hurting following the events of CN.  Especially, since he has kept many of his feelings locked up since returning home.

Trip Advisor:

Jim and Pam finally come up with a way to try and make Dwight feel better.  They log on to Trip Advisor and write out a glowing review for Schrute Farms. Jim is able to goad Dwight into checking the website as Pam looks on with a hopeful expression.  She really hopes their efforts will help Dwight feel a little better.  Just as they work together to take care of Michael, they will take care of Dwight as well.  

The scene cuts to the break room where Jim and Pam sit together with the review print out sitting in front of the.  They proceed to read off their comments which includes praise for everything from the smell of beets wafting in their bedroom to the wonders of the table making demonstration.  Pam is very proud of what they wrote, despite the light sarcasm in their comments.  They knew exactly what to write to lift Dwight’s spirits.  The stay at Schrute Farms was weird, but they managed to turn the bizarre into a positive review.  The review may have been for Dwight’s benefit, but Jim and Pam are also making a little joke for themselves.  Every comment they make is poking fun at the weirdness they endured.

As they read their comments, flashbacks of their stay at Schrute Farms break into the scene.  The quirkiness of their visit matches up with their comments as they watch Mose pound on beets in the kitchen and while they watch Dwight make a table.  There’s even a peek into Jim and Pam’s room in the morning, where it’s evident they have pushed the two small beds together to make one large bed.  Odd sounds at night apparently didn’t prevent them from finding the romance in simply being together.  The bubble functions even amidst the insanity of Dwight’s beet farm.

Dwight is still sad after reading the review, but is appreciative of their review, “I’m glad you enjoyed your stay.”  Pam can see the review helped, but Dwight is still sad.  She adds, “We really did.  It was fun,” in the hopes of cheering Dwight up a little bit more.  Her motives for this comment rested in Dwight, but Pam really meant every word.  She really did have a good time. Everything about their little trip was weird, quirky, and odd, but that’s what Jim and Pam love. They were in it together and laughed the whole time.  It’s another little something just between them in the privacy of their little bubble.

Dwight Walks Out:

After Angela accepts a date with Andy, Dwight walks out of the office hurriedly trying his best to hold back his hurt feelings.  Pam can’t help but notice and her heart goes out to him.  She says his name with a tone of concern, but he ignores her call.  Pam looks over at Jim with a worried face that tells him, “Go after him.”  When no on else will care for Dwight, both Jim and Pam will answer his cry for help. 

The Kiss:

Pam is dealing with some paperwork as she notices Jim enter the office.  With her usual warmth she greets him, “ Hey, I was thinking about dinner. . .”  Before she can finish her sentence, Jim hands lightly frame her jaw line as he leans in for a surprise kiss.  She never saw it coming, but she is quick to recover from the shock.  She easily goes along with it as she brings her hand up to rest on his neck, much the same way she did on CN.  The kiss itself is highly reminiscent of that evening, only this time there is no hesitation or fear.  In only a few seconds an eternity of tenderness passes between them.   

As he pulls away, she looks up at him in awe with a euphoric smile, “Where did that come from?” She hasn’t felt that kind of passion from him since CN.  His love literally wrapped around her with a surge of electricity.  Pam has been waiting for him to come back in that way and it appears he has finally found that part of himself.  Her smile widens as she searches his eyes for any clues to his actions.  It doesn’t take long for her to find the answer.  The sparkle in his eyes tells her all she needs to know.  It’s clear to her that his emotions are unlocked.  He hasn’t looked at her like that in a long time.  She can finally “feel” him.  She always knew his feelings were there, but she was waiting for him to brave enough to let them out.  

In this brief moment they speak to each other with nothing more than locked eyes as they silently share emotional honesty.  She knows what he’s trying to tell her and she lets him know it’s safe to love her. The bubble is in full swing as Jim and Pam transport themselves into their own little world.  Non-verbal communication is finally rebuilt to the point of being able to convey raw emotion.  This is a major development that will help Jim and Pam get closer to verbalized emotional honesty.  Jim may have unlocked his emotions, but Pam is still going to have to afford him a little more time and patience as he finds the courage to tell her.  

Her mouth falls open as joyful shock continues to course through her.  The man is full of surprises and now she has one more reason to love him.  She can’t believe he did this in public, it’s not like him to be so impulsive with PDA.   Pam looks around her to see if anyone is watching.  It’s almost as if she’s checking to see if this is real.  She’s working off the logic that if someone else saw it, then it really happened.  She is a little embarrassed as she hides behind her paperwork.  She’s not used to having her love life on display.  However, it turns out she is too happy to care what anyone thinks.  Jim doesn’t seem phased as he starts to pick up Pam’s previous reference to dinner, “Uh, dinner . . . . Let’s see, maybe we should try the, uhmm, new Italian place where the dry cleaners used to be.”  She redirects her attention on him, still in awe of his behavior.  She answers, “Okay.”  still wearing a goofy smile.  

She can’t stop looking at him in wonderment as she’s tries to figure out what brought on this shift in Jim.  She decides to let it be, realizing it doesn’t matter what brought him to this point.  All that really matters is that he’s here now.  Pam knows he is joining her in steering the relationship by taking hold of one of the reins.  She’s no longer alone in leading the relationship.  His kiss let her know he doesn’t need her to run the entire show by herself anymore.  Pam feels the weight lift in the simple knowledge that he is by her side, rather than following behind.  He turns to walk away towards his desk as Pam watches with a glowing smile.  It only took Jim a few seconds to make her float above the clouds.

**Talking heads** (see below)

Pam takes a seat at her desk unable to wipe the smile from her face.  She is gushing like a teenager as she once again hides behind her paperwork.  The giddiness is hard to control as her cheeks flush.  She glances at him again, while practically pinching herself to ensure this is all real.  Pam has never been loved like this before by anyone.  She can’t help but wonder if it’s really possible to be this happy and this much in love.

Talking Head:

Pam is still trying to quell her giddiness as she sits before the camera.  She tries to play it cool, but fails miserably within seconds.  She chooses to sidestep the kiss by simply referring to dinner, “Jim’s just really passionate about Italian food.” A smile slowly forms on her lips while she simply glows.  It grows wider as her thoughts refuse to leave Jim.  She is beyond thrilled that she can “feel” Jim once again, the way she used to so long ago.  His passion is for her and it’s beyond her wildest dreams.  There is no question in her mind that he loves her.  He may not have said it, but she felt it rush over her.  

Back to Normal:

Dwight finally returns to his desk and begins making a sales call.  Pam watches as Dwight grabs a ruler and uses it as a tool to shove Jim’s overflowing paperwork out of his desk area.  Jim looks over at her and offers one of his patented smiles pairs with twinkling eyes.  Pam’s smiles widely back at him.  Her joy is in response to Dwight’s apparent return to normalcy. She knows she and Jim had a part in helping Dwight find his way out of misery.  However, Pam’s smile is geared mostly towards Jim.  Just as Dwight has found his way back, so has Jim.  She can see the man she fell in love so long ago smiling back at her.  Pam is overjoyed to see bits and pieces of the Old Jim falling back into place.  The most important pieces have finally found their way home and she is ready to give him all he needs.  She can’t wait to love him the way he loves her.

The Bottom Line:

A stay at Schrute Farms proved Jim and Pam can survive anything and still find love, (as if the last year wasn’t proof enough!).

- - - 

Questions to Ponder

1) Do Jim and Pam truly share the lead in the relationship at this point?  Does Pam still need to be the dominant force in JAM? 

2) Is the bubble growing or shrinking?  Are the events of Money simply another round of euphoria or are Jim and Pam becoming more grounded?

3) Would Jim and Pam take so many steps towards emotional honesty if it wasn’t for Dwight’s heartache?  How does his hurt benefit JAM?

4)  What elements of communication remain amiss?  

5) Is there enough trust between Jim and Pam?

 

End Notes:

Commonly Used Acronyms: PD = Pam Dichotomy, JP = Jim Paradox, CN = Casino Night, FNB = Fancy New Beesly, QTP = Questions to Ponder

This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation.  Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter 5: Local Ad by scrantonbranch

The butterfly charm on Pam’s necklace spreads it wings much the same Pam continues to fly as FNB.  Her confidence in herself and her abilities is overwhelming throughout Local Ad.  Not only is she offering her artistic skills for Michael’s commercial, but she is also taking great pride in herself and her artwork.  It can happily be said that Pam is settling for nothing less than perfect.   Furthermore, Pam is not letting anyone or anything stand in her way, not even Jim.  Interestingly, her dedication to her animation project in this episode overrides being with Jim.  Although, this seems quite arbitrary in terms of importance, it could be a signal of a future issue between Jim and Pam.  It’s already apparent that Pam doesn’t need Jim in the same way she needed him in Seasons 1, 2, or 3.  She is independent and confident, which cancels out the two primary reasons Pam needed Jim in previous seasons.  Season 4 is whole new ballgame as Pam can stand on her own two feet.  

Eventually, Pam is going to have to figure out just where Jim fits into her new independent life.  She’s had no problem integrating him into her life, but her need for him hasn’t been reevaluated.  It can’t be forgotten that Pam was ready to let Jim go in The Job.  It’s clear she loves him and wants him in her life, but there needs to be an understanding that both she and Jim have changed in various ways.  That means there are new needs on both sides that need to be discovered and fulfilled.  Pam is just beginning to learn that there is a multitude of things she does not know about Jim.  As JAM continues to explore their relationship, new details are bound to surface and adjustments will need to be made.  

In terms of the relationship itself, a slight shift in leadership is quite noticeable.  Although, Pam retains the lead, she has relinquished some of that lead to Jim.  It is debatable on whether Jim is ready for this shift, but it’s clear that his actions in Money left a big impression on Pam.  It’s highly possible she read his kiss as meaning he is ready to take the majority lead.   However, in reality Jim remains emotionally vulnerable and continues to harbor fear.  Her sometimes indifferent behavior towards Jim is indicative of her belief that Jim no longer needs her to offer constant reassurance or perpetual nurturing support.  As in all new relationships a balance must be found.  JAM is just teetering back and forth on the seesaw until equilibrium is achieved.

Conference Room:

Michael’s antics are in full swing as he tries to fire up fellow Dunder Mifflin employees. Corporate is planning to make a commercial for Dunder Mifflin and Michael is looking for creative ideas for the ad.  Pam is bored which is apparent while she picks at her nails.  Meanwhile, Andy breaks out into song with the jingle for Kit Kat, but can’t remember the key words, “Kit Kat.”  Andy is beyond frustrated that he can’t remember the product for the jingle.  Jim is totally amused by Andy’s memory gap and immediately hollers, “Nobody tell him.”  Pam is amused as well, but not at the same level as Jim.  She is still noticeably bored, as she watches Jim interact with Andy. She thinks it’s funny, but not necessary.  Pam doesn’t mind a good prank, but usually the target deserves to be pranked.  In this instance, Andy isn’t annoying Jim or anyone else.  However, she doesn’t let the cat out of the bag.  She doesn’t mind playing along with Jim, but her interest in his little prank doesn’t extend past a little smile.  Andy rattles off guesses but the best he can do is “football cream.”  He “Grrrrs” loudly as his frustration builds.  

Michael soon redirects the meeting by asking, “Okay, it's football cream. It's football cream. Alright! So, anybody else?”  Pam instantly perks up and offers her skills, “I'm taking a computer animation class so I could try to do a logo.”  Her face is lit up as she confidently presents her artistic abilities.  FNB is not afraid to jump right in and contribute her talents.  As suspected in the premiere episode, Fun Run, Pam is continuing her education in the field of art.  Even more interesting, it links back to Boys and Girls in that she’s doing a form a graphic design with by taking computer animation class.  In terms of body language this scene offers some interesting insight.  Pam is turned away from Jim and doesn’t look at him once while she throws her hat into the ring.  In previous seasons, she would have looked to him for support and reassurance.  This is a possibly a sign that she no longer needs Jim to believe in her as she already believes in herself.  His support is appreciated and even expected to a certain extent, but she is more than able to supply it for herself.   

Michael’s response is positive, but it carries a sting, “Look at that. Even the receptionist is getting in on the creativity. Very good, very good.”  Her smile falls from her face as she looks away.  Pam doesn’t like Michael’s reference of calling her “the receptionist.”  She isn’t ashamed of her job, but she knows she is more than just a receptionist.  After a year of soul searching Pam has discovered that her job title does not define her or her ambitions.  Her expression is even a little defiant as Michael’s comment sinks in further.  Her very disdain for Michael’s definition of her is enough to remind herself that she is striving for something better.  She refuses to let anyone tell her what she can and can’t do based solely on her job title and current lot in life.  

Besides, Michael is an idiot.  He’s not going to get her down.  This helps to explain Pam’s motivation and dedication to creating the animated logo later in the episode.  Part of her is determined to prove him wrong.  Again, she doesn’t look at Jim during this exchange.  Pam is strong enough to handle this little sting on her own.  She doesn’t necessarily need him to make it all better.  FNB has it covered.

Jim’s Interruption:

Pam is hard at work animating on her computer as Jim walks up, “Hey.”  She doesn’t even look up at him as she dismissively says, “No talk, I’m animating.”  Her brows are knotted in concentration as she stares at her computer screen.  Jim refuses to be brushed off as he leans in front of her and takes control of her mouse, “Why don't we take a quick ten second break from that so I can show you what's going on here.”  Pam is visibly annoyed as her knotted brow shifts from concentration to slight aggravation.   She looks up at him wears a slight smirk, clearly irritated with Jim invading her space with his nonsense.  In prior seasons, this wouldn’t have bothered her as she had nothing but solitaire to keep her busy behind her desk.  His distractions were welcome relief from the bottomless pit of boredom and hopelessness that surrounded Pam. Things are now different in that Pam no longer needs the distraction.  She is focused on something important to her and Jim is taking her away from that, from her point of view.  

Her irritation is slow to dissipate as Jim’s explains, “Okay, this is Dwight's Second Life. He's on it all the time. So much so that his little guy here has created his own world. It's called Second Second Life, for those people who want to be removed even further from reality.” Her expression soon shifts to sympathy as she feels bad for Dwight, “Are you serious.”  Jim replies, “yeah,” quickly with his own sense of empathy.  Dwight’s pain has been difficult to watch and Pam’s heart goes out to him, “Oh my God, he's really in pain.”  From here, Pam’s demeanor towards Jim completely changes.  His reasons for interrupting her were valid and she allows herself to fall into the distraction of Jim at her desk.  

As the game plays out on her screen, Pam notices another avatar and asks, “Who's that?”  Jim softly answers, “Oh, it's just my avatar guy. Whatever.” in a attempt to divert her attention. However, Pam is already hot on his trail and can’t contain her curiosity.  She giggles as she continues to explore the avatar, “He looks a lot like you.”  She smiles widely, extremely amused by Jim’s little representation of himself.  Pam can’t help but ask, “How much time did you spend on that?” She thinks it great, but she knows he did it at work.  If anyone is capable of wasting time at work, it’s Jim.  Her tone is serious as she is genuinely curious about what Jim has created.  

In a sense, she is seeing a side of Jim she never knew existed.  She picks up on little details almost immediately, “... you're a sports writer in Philadelphia?”  Her voice is filled with a little bit of excitement.  Pam knows Jim hates his job and she’s intrigued to see Jim express an interest in something other than pranking.  She can see his potential to be more than he allows himself to be.  She’s known Jim for years, but he has managed to surprise her again (let’s not forget last week’s kiss!), by showing her something new about himself.  She may know him like the back of her hand, but there’s also much about him she doesn’t know.  Of course, she can’t help but comment on his physique by adding, “Nice build.”  In another nod to FNB, she isn’t afraid to admit her attraction to him on a physical level.  She wasn’t self conscious in the least.  Old Pam would’ve kept that little tidbit to herself and turned red.

Upon inspecting avatar further she comments, “You have a guitar slung on your back. I did not know you played guitar.”  Her curiosity begins to include a little disbelief at her lack of knowledge in this regard.  How could she not know this about him?  However, her own wonderment is again overridden by her excitement of seeing another new aspect of Jim.  She smiles up at him widely, just dying to know more about this interesting guy hiding inside of a bored paper salesman.   Pam has never thought of Jim as boring, but she knows he is bored in general.  It’s astonishing to her to know there is so much more hiding inside of him.   Jim is noticeably embarrassed and uncomfortable as he tries to wiggle out of her observations, “I... why don't we go back to this animation.”  Pam can’t help but play on is discomfort by showing enthusiasm, “No no no, I want to see more of Philly Jim.”  Her tone is playful as she laughs and smiles while prodding him to tell her more about this mysterious person she knows nothing about.  

Jim is still reluctant and he heads back over to her mouse, likely switching the screen back to her animation, “No, show me how this . . . .”  Pam is undaunted as she pleads in a still playful tone, “I want Philly Jim.” This statement is laced with undertones.  Pam may be joking around, but in some respects she speaks the truth.  Pam loves Old Jim and is thrilled that most of him has returned. That being said, Pam realizes that things can’t be as they were before.  She doesn’t need Jim in the same way.  She’s a new person with different needs.  Even Jim has changed even though his former persona dominates his behavior.  Jim expresses further reluctance by insisting, “Ah, show me how this works.”  She can see she’s not going to get anywhere as she relents, “Oh, Boy.“  She still wears a smile, but she’s let down that Jim won’t share anymore.   

Pam wants to see Jim break out of his rut, knowing full well his is capable of much more than selling paper.  She knows he’s not happy with his job and would like to see him find something that suits him better.  This attitude extends beyond Jim and into Pam herself in that she is a new person with goals and she needs someone to move on with her.  Pam knows she is capable of more than being a receptionist, while Jim is stuck selling paper, with no apparent idea on what else he’d like to do with his life.   

It’s another sign of incongruent personal growth.  It’s not overwhelmingly affecting JAM, but the undercurrents are being felt.  Now that Pam has seen Jim in a different light, she may take on a new role and offer support for any spark of interest Jim has in order to encourage him to explore a new route in his life.  It’s a complete role reversal from Season 2, where Jim was always there to support Pam’s ambitions in art.  Now, it’s Pam’s turn to help Jim find where he is supposed to fit into his own life.   

End of the Day

Pam continues to work feverishly on her animated logo until the end of the day.  Jim approaches her desk ready to go home for the day, “I hope you're not killing yourself on this, because I'm sure it's good enough for Michael's ad that will probably be seen by no one.”  His concern for her welfare is apparent, but it’s clear Jim is ready to leave his boring job.  In a stunning display of FNB, Pam responds, “Maybe, but it's not good enough for me yet.”  Her motivation for completing the logo may have partially been motivated by sticking it to Michael, but Pam’s personal pride is the guiding force in her work.  It doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks, not even Jim.  It has to be good enough for her.  Jim simply responds, “Okay. Do you want me to stay?,” still anxious to get out of the office and back home.  Pam turns to him and firmly tells him, “No no, you can go home. I'm good,” completely forgetting that she is Jim’s ride home, (as learned in Jim’s subsequent talking head).  

Pam is so immersed in her ambitions, Jim is getting pushed off the to the side.  Her last statement carries some interesting double meaning.  Pam has been telling Jim to come “home” ever since he returned to Scranton.  Only this time, she’s telling him to go “home” without her.  Pam may want Jim in her life, but once again she is proving she is perfectly capable without him.  She doesn’t need his support or his opinion as she works on her animation.  Her phrase, “I’m good” describes Pam perfectly. She has truly found her niche and it’s tricky figuring out just where Jim fits into her world.  The concern in this scene is primarily rooted in Pam so easily forgetting to give Jim a ride home.  She is very immersed in her ambitions and her own life, forgetting that Jim is also part of her life.  It’s as if for a moment she forgot just how lucky she is to have him in her life.  

After last week’s kiss, Pam assumes Jim doesn’t need as much assurance from her, when in fact he does. She saw a man who was “all in” and could handle her leaving him on his own with little or no explanation.  This assumption won’t have any immediate effects, but Pam will need to pick up on Jim’s uncertainties and fears.  They haven’t disappeared and she needs to continue to address his needs in that department.  She has an incorrect read on him, which indicates nonverbal communication continues to be a work in progress despite the huge gains in the opening episodes of the season. 

Breakfast:

After spending the night passed out on her keyboard, Pam awakens to the sound of her phone ringing.  Jim is on the other end, “Good morning.” Still dazed she looks over at Jim at his desk and then notices his sweet gesture sitting on her desk. A small breakfast stares back her and it means everything to her.  She smiles appreciatively with a warm smile that is as much to herself as it is for Jim.   Part of her can’t believe he did this, while the rest of her knows it’s just like him. It’s here where she reminds herself that she’s got a really wonderful man in her life.  She may not need Jim’s support or opinion, but she still needs him to take care of her.  Whether she’s stuck in an endless engagement with the wrong guy or  when she doesn’t know when to stop working, Jim is always there to take care of her.  She still needs that, FNB or not.  It’s a good little lesson not to take Jim for granted. Even with his faults, he loves her and would do anything for her.  With his dry sense of humor he explains, “Yeah I'm sorry, I looked away for a second and Creed snatched your hash browns.”  With a weary, yet heartfelt  voice she says, “Thank you,” and means every word.  

Poor Richards

Along with her co-workers Pam watches gleefully as the ad for Dunder Mifflin plays on the television screen.  Michael’s ad was rejected by corporate, but it’s still fun to see herself and everyone else waving into the camera in a flashy ad.  She may hate her job, but she is connected to her co-workers.  They are people she cares about, no matter how annoying or odd they may be.  Aside from that, it’s just plain exciting to see herself on TV, (isn’t it always?).  

Jim later stands up and announces, “Hey everybody! Just want to welcome you all to the premiere of the real Dunder Mifflin commercial, the Michael Scott director's cut. Hope you like it.”  As the ad plays, Pam continues to smile, but it’s different from before.  There is pride in her eyes as she looks at the ad she had a part in making.  It’s ridiculous, but it’s something she and her co-workers accomplished together.  

At the end of the ad, her animation fills the screen, (it was good!) and Pam smiles again.  She is proud of her work as dignity fills her eyes.   However, she looks to Jim for his response.  She may not needs Jim’s approval but she wants it.  She is greeted with a huge smile and an obviously proud Jim.  His applause is geared towards her as is amazement at her work.  His smile meant everything to her.  Jim rubs her back in congratulations and Pam’s leans towards him with a smile.  She never got this kind of support from Roy, which serves as another reminder that she needs Jim more than FNB would like to admit.

Jim continues to offer his support by plugging her work to anyone who will listen including the waiter, “Animation? All her by the way.”

 - - -

Questions to Ponder:

1) Does Pam have a solid idea of where Jim fits in her life?

2) Is Pam slacking off when it comes to giving Jim everything he needs?  Why or Why not?

 

 

End Notes:

Commonly Used Acronyms: PD = Pam Dichotomy, JP = Jim Paradox, CN = Casino Night, FNB = Fancy New Beesly, QTP = Questions to Ponder

This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation.  Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter 6: Branch Wars by scrantonbranch

While Jim floats aimlessly through his life, Pam has managed to anchor herself in the certainty of her strength and independence that is firmly rooted in her transformation into FNB.  Confidence and self-assertiveness continue to weave their way seamlessly into Pam’s personality.  She is relatively secure in her relationship with Jim, which she clearly exhibited with a total lack of jealousy concerning Jim’s contact with Karen.  She’s not worried in the least that Jim is committed and will come home to her.  However, Pam’s confidence extends beyond Jim as she explores more avenues of personal growth with the Finer Things Club.  It’s obvious Pam is much more aware of her own evolution.  She is taking active steps to continually reinvent herself and embark on personal betterment.  

This is a distinct departure from Old Pam, but it can easily be debated that Pam’s exploration is completely trial and error.  Pam has become entirely new person, so it stands to reason she will try many new things to build new interests and her new life.  Some things will take hold while others will not.  The Finer Things Club is Pam’s newest mode of experimentation.  It’s a chance for her to be artistic and vocal at the same time, which are two realms of her life she is looking to expand.  The trick is figuring out how to make the rest of her life fit into the ideal she holds for herself.

In terms of JAM, Pam’s ability to read Jim has slightly improved since Local Ad.  However, she is still gathering most of her information about his status from the kiss he planted on her in Money. She is still under the impression that Jim is all in (which he is to certain extent), but she fails to see that Jim is still in need of reassurance and support from her.  Her initial refusal to let him into the Finer Things Club is highly symbolic of her failure to see Jim’s inherent need for validation and acceptance.  

Towards the end of Branch Wars, Pam begins to see Jim’s vulnerabilities again which gives her a much more accurate read on him, which will hopefully translate into the future.  Nonverbal communication is JAM strongest asset, but it’s clear that there is a gap which, was created by Jim’s impromptu kiss in Money.  It’s imperative for Pam to learn how to see past the veil Jim is using to hide his insecurities.

Finer Things Club:

In a talking head, Pam reveals that she, Oscar and Toby have started a Finer Things Club in the office.  Apparently all three saw the need to have a forum to discuss art, literature, and culture while engaging in sophistication and civility once a month.  She makes it clear that the club is very serious about maintaining an air of sophistication by declaring, “There is no paper, no plastic, and no work talk allowed.”  If anything, the Finer Things Club is a great little escape teeming with stimulation in an otherwise stagnant work environment.  The club itself is simply another mode of expression for a very artistically minded Pam.  

She has spent the last year and a half honing her artistic skills and it makes perfect sense that she’d make it more prevalent in her life by socializing with other people who have similar interests. She caps off her talking head by stating, “It’s very exclusive.” Her tone is serious, but also a little playful.  She’s not snobby about her club, but rather she enjoys being part of something special.  Pam enjoys the small group as it puts her more at ease to express her opinions.  FNB may be dominating Pam’s behavior, but she still operates better in a small group.  Aside from that, Oscar, Toby and herself are probably the only three people in the office who understand the purpose and propriety associated with the Finer Things Club, (FTC).  It’s supposed to be fun and relaxing, but there is also a certain amount of seriousness.  

As Jim found out later, you’re actually supposed to read the book before showing up to the club meeting.  The beauty of the club is the fact that Pam is becoming more social and open with her co-workers.  She’s always been warm and friendly with those around her, but she never truly connected with any of them until now.  Old Pam tended to keep her distance, due to her lack of self-esteem and the stifling nature of her relationship with Roy.  The new freedom of her life as FNB has caused her to allow more people into her life.  As a result, Jim is no longer Pam’s only outlet.  Overall this is a good development for Pam, but the effects this will have on JAM are still shrouded in mystery.  It all relates back to the concept of balance between the relationship and Jim and Pam’s individual lives.  

The symbolism of the Finer Things Club relates directly to Pam’s continuing transformation into FNB.  The club itself is an incarnate of FNB and the concept of bettering oneself.  Pam has been on a journey of self-discovery ever since she called off her wedding.  Instead of calling it day after Jim walked back into her life, she has opted to see where else the path leads.  The club is very symbolic of the fact that Pam has realized there is more to her than ringing phones, paperwork, and a computer screen.

Pam’s image of herself keeps improving as she explores her capabilities on multiple levels.  It’s undeniable that part of her motivation to keep exploring is rooted in her determination to leave Old Pam in the past for good.  She knows most of the things happening in her life (art school, confidence, and of course Jim) would not exist if she were still with Roy.  Rather she’d be wallowing in a life with no direction as she continued to suffocate behind a receptionist desk.  The Finer Things Club is just another new aspect of Pam’s life that never would have existed if she didn’t have the courage to explore outside the boundaries.  It is surely no coincidence that she is once again wearing her butterfly necklace as she describes the club.  It’s spreads it’s wings just as she broadens her horizons.

FTC Rejects Jim:

As classical music plays in the background of the break room, Pam arranges food on a tri-level serving tray.  Jim is standing near the vending machines and steals a piece of food from the tray before asking, “So tell me again why I can’t be part of your club?”  Apparently, Jim has asked to be part of the club before as the word “again” indicates.  

There are a couple of reasons as to why Pam might exclude Jim from the FTC.  First, she wants some things in her life that are simply hers. Pam isn’t totally reliant on Jim to make her happy.  She learned how to make herself happy last year and it appear she is determined to continue that trend. The FTC is all about Pam exploring FNB and she can’t really do that with Jim around.  Her transformation may have been triggered by Jim, but the process was entirely on her own.  She still needs that independence from him to continue growing.   Pam doesn’t make eye contact with Jim, but she is very quick to answer, “Because some people think you monopolize the conversation by trying to be funny.”  FNB is not afraid to point out Jim’s faults, but she is careful to sugarcoat it a little bit by using a light and slightly playful tone.  She knows Jim is sensitive, but he would react better if she teased him.  Humor based communication always works the best with him.  

Pam loves Jim for his humor, but she knows it doesn’t fit in with the FTC.  Her knowledge comes from simply knowing Jim so well.  She knows Jim uses humor when he is cornered, nervous, or feels out of place.  The FTC would essentially hit Jim with a trilogy of reasons for him to crack jokes and spew sarcasm.  In any other circumstance Pam would be laughing right along with him, but the FTC is important to her and she doesn’t want to trivialize it.  Pam’s lighthearted tone pays off as Jim replies to her reasoning with a small joke by guessing Oscar is the one who pinned his fault.  Pam easily catches onto his joke and immediately responds with playful banter, “Some people.”  It’s another example of how humor based communication continues to connect JAM. It allowed Pam to let Jim know it was her who thinks he won’t fit into the club, without being condescending. Furthermore, she was able to tell him her opinion without hurting him.   

Playful banter has always been their chosen mode of honesty and it still serves it’s purpose quite well.  However, it does have it’s faults as it doesn’t allow Pam to get an accurate read on Jim’s needs.  He’s obviously been asking about the club for quite some time, but she has refused to allow him to join.  She can’t see his need for acceptance and validation and therefore cannot give him what he needs. She is still clouded by his confident behavior in Money.  Jim is vulnerable and fragile right now, but Pam cannot see through his shield.  Even though he doesn’t really fit into this aspect of her life, he needs the reassurance that he is at least welcome. Unfortunately, at this point, Pam has no idea he needs this kind of emotional support.

FTC - Distraction:

Pam, Oscar, and Toby are discussing the book,  “A Room with A View”  (great book, btw!), as both Kevin and Phyllis interrupt with rather unsophisticated and noisy bouts with the vending machine and microwave.  The scene has some symbolism attached to it as the reality of Pam’s surroundings are impeding her experimentation.  Pam likes the ideal behind the FTC, but the truth of her environment is more realistic and more her.  Pam is reaching far beyond her boundaries as part of evolving away form Old Pam, but she may be reaching a little too far.  Pam is always going to be Pam no matter how much she changes.  FNB is all about showcasing Pam’s best talents, but it’s not about reinventing the wheel.  She effectively engaged in trial and error as she finds a happy medium between Old Pam and FNB.  

All her exploration is fun and enlightening but ultimately Pam is somewhere between a receptionist and the ideal of the FTC.  This notion is further by the fact that the teapot Jim gave her in Christmas party is sitting on the table.  A piece of Pam’s old life is sitting in all it’s glory amongst the new “finer things” in Pam’s new life.  It represents the very best of Pam’s past and the fact that it has a place in the present.  She can’t forget what got her to this place in her life. Furthermore, it’s represents everything that means the most to Pam.  No matter how much she evolves Jim is still part of her.  

On another level, this scene also speaks volumes of Pam’s resolve to break free of the distractions and strive for something better.  Despite the noise and aggravation of her surroundings, she pushed forward to discuss the book and express her ideas. 

Jim Returns from Utica:

Jim smiles at Pam as he walks in the door after his long trip to Utica.  After hanging up his coat he walks by her desk, but pauses briefly looks at her with a smirk denoting loads of nonverbal communication.  Pam immediately reads his defeated posture and facial expression.  She likely knew he was in Utica before he returned (as per a deleted scene, but you all know my stance on analyzing those!), and suspects things did not go well with Karen.  Without even saying a word, she is sympathetic to Jim’s feelings and is already looking for a way to cheer him up.

An Invitation for Jim:

Jim wanders up to Pam’s desk with his hands shoved in his pockets and a still defeated posture. He leans of Pam’s desk and greets her with a warm, “Hey,” but Pam can see right through him. He’s trying to hide his humiliation and simply escape it by visiting her.  Pam knows it needs to be addressed so she quickly says, “I’m so sorry.  Rolando told me everything.”  Jim’s head drops as his humiliation floods through him.  He lets out a slight groan, which causes Pam to wince in empathy.  She knows Jim feels bad for hurting Karen.  She can feel the guilt radiating from him and can’t help but wrap him in warmth and compassion.  Pam is more than aware that Jim needs to know someone is in his corner when it comes to Karen.  It was a huge mistake from start to finish.  Pam knows all about making mistakes when it comes to relationships (Roy, parts 1 and 2 come to mind), so she is naturally understanding of his predicament.  She continues to look at him as states, “How humiliating.” Her tone sounds a little light, but this is done on purpose to let Jim know everything is going to be okay.  She’s even smiling slightly as she speaks, but her sympathy is still firmly in play.  Pam is trying to let Jim know that getting chewed out be Karen is not the end of the world.  

It may have been humiliating, but dumping Karen was the right to do.  It’s her way of reminding him they wouldn’t be together if things with Karen didn’t turn out as they did.  Jim’s head continues to hang, so Pam pulls out the big guns to cheer him up.  Pam can only think of one thing that would give Jim the reassurance he needs, “Would it help you to return to another age? A time of refinement, and civility.”  His head begins to pick up half way through her offer and Pam knows she’s on the right track.  She uncovers a plate of sophisticated food to amplify her offer for Jim to join her in the FTC.  Jim’s face lights up just as she hoped.  He asks, “Are you inviting me to the Finer Things Club?”   She nods with a smile on her face, knowing Jim really appreciates her offer.   

For the first time since Money, Pam has a completely accurate read on Jim.  She knew she needed to take care of him with a splash of reassurance.  She’s willing to let Jim into this part of her life in order to let him know he is exactly where he belongs.  He made the right choice to come home and now she knows she needs to show him he was right.  Pam has finally figured out that Jim needs to be included.  His desire to be part of the club, wasn’t about want, rather it was about needing to share something with her.   

The return of Karen served as a gentle reminder of just how empty she felt when Jim excluded himself from her life.  Now she realizes she was purposely excluding him from something he expressed interest in sharing with her.   It was horrible without him last year and she doesn’t want that again.  Seeing some of Jim’s vulnerabilities caused Pam to take more of a lead in the relationship again.  She’s beginning to see Jim isn’t as strong as she thought, which spurred her into action to take care of him.  She is strong enough to steer the ship while Jim continues to search for his bearings.  

FTC - Angela’s Ashes:

Just as Pam suspected, Jim does not fit into the FTC at all.  A combination of his nerves and the pressure of trying to fit in causes the humor to roll right out of him.  In an Irish accent he summarizes his thoughts on Angela’s Ashes,  “Angela's Ashes, top o' the morning to us. Frankie's prose is funnier than a pot of gold, say I.”  Pam looks on with zero amusement.  She is embarrassed as Jim trivializes the FTC just as she feared he would.  Jim continues to dig himself into a hole as he tries to field questions from both Oscar and Toby.  It’s obvious he didn’t read the book as he can only offer vague and incorrect answers.  He looks like a student trying to avoid the glare of the teacher as he fidgets with his fingers.  Pam looks at him with a disappointed, yet knowing expression.  She knew this would happen.   She mouths “sorry” to Toby and Oscar as he continues to embarrass her.  Normally, his humor is a source of joy for Pam, but in this instance she feels like he isn’t taking her seriously or the club, despite his pleas to be included.  He blew it and she isn’t even trying to hide her disappointment.

Jim may have needed to join the group, but it’s clear to Pam that Jim does not fit into this part of her life.  Pam has changed and so has Jim’s role in her life.  Thus begins a period of adjusting and exploring just how their relationship should function.  There needs to be a balance between their past and present relationship as well as FNB and Old Jim.  Furthermore, there needs to be balance between how they function as a couple and as individuals.  Pam knows Jim needs more of her right now and she’s willing to oblige, but the truth is she can’t do it forever.  She finds herself in the position of having figure out how to help Jim find his way without forsaking her individuality.  

In a symbolic sense, the teapot from earlier has essentially been replaced with Jim’s presence. Her two worlds are again colliding.  Elements of her past and present are surrounding her as she continues to expand her personal growth.  Jim means the world to her, but so does her development into FNB.  Pam is faced with the ultimate task of finding a way to integrate the two most important things in her life.  

The Bottom Line:

The sense of perfection in the relationship is beginning to falter.  Pam may love Jim, but the rose colored glasses are shifting to a more realistic shade.

- - - 

JAM Playlist Song:

Crash and Burn

Artist: Savage Garden

Album: Affirmation 

Watching Jim and Pam take care of one another is my favorite dynamic of their relationship. Ever since season 2, this song has reminded me of how they are always there for one another. With Jim as messy as he is right now, I can see the meaning of these lyrics playing through Pam’s head. 

- - -  

Questions to Ponder:

1) Does Pam want Jim to change?

2) Is Pam taking Jim for granted?

3) How much, if at all, have Jim and Pam talked about Karen? (Should they?)

4) Is it Pam’s responsibility to “fix” Jim?  Why does she feel so compelled to come to his rescue?

 

 

End Notes:

Commonly Used Acronyms: PD = Pam Dichotomy, JP = Jim Paradox, CN = Casino Night, FNB = Fancy New Beesly, QTP = Questions to Ponder

This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation.  Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter 7: Survivor Man by scrantonbranch

In another very Jim-centric episode, Pam’s role is quite limited.  However, she still had a few key scenes that offer a little insight into the ever changing dynamic of JAM.  Humor based communication continues to be a connecting thread between Pam and Jim.   Between a playful argument and Pam poking fun at Jim, laughter continues to bring JAM closer together and repair communication lines.  

FNB continues to shine as Pam jumps into the limelight and lightly pranks Jim.  She isn’t the shy, meek receptionist who previously hid behind her desk.  She’s even ready, willing, and able to take on the ace pranker that is Jim. This new Pam continues to surprise and delight all that know her.  

Speaking of Jim, Pam found there is another side to him that can take his job seriously.  She is surprised to see this, but nonetheless intrigued.

In Office Olympics, Pam gave a talking head that praised Jim’s talents, but she was all too aware that his job didn’t give him an opportunity to use his abilities to their fullest.  Seeing him in a leadership role that diverts from pranking and games, causes Pam to see Jim in a different light.  She likes what she sees.  Pam loves Jim for his laid back attitude, but she knows it sometimes holds him back.  Perhaps, she’ll begin to offer a little more encouragement to Jim when it comes to his career.   

Since Local Ad and Branch Wars it’s been argued that Pam hasn’t been accurately reading Jim in terms of emotional needs.  This trend continues, however, she is starting to hone in on his vulnerabilities.  She isn’t as blind to his weaknesses as she’s been since Money.  His kiss really threw her off, but she is starting to see that Jim still needs her assurance and emotional support.    After learning of his birthday plan, she kept a close watch on him all day, while also making sure his safety net of humor remained firmly in place.  Just as Jim took care of her throughout previous seasons, she is returning the favor.   

Jim’s Birthday Party Plan:

Pam is sitting at her desk as she overhears Angela and Jim discuss the need for a birthday cake for Creed.  Jim is a little reluctant given the fact they just had a party of Kelly not too long ago. Angela informs him it’s birthday month and begins rattling off the names everyone who has a birthday coming.  Pam’s head lifts as she gains more interest in the conversation.  She continues to watch as Jim makes his ill-fated suggestion to have “one big shared party,” for birthday month. Pam is likely still watching as Angela pegs Jim with death stare and a disapproving, “What!?” Jim insists it would be more fun and less of a waste of time if there was just one party, but Angela continues to be uncooperative.  She sneers, “I don’t like it” and walks away in a huff.  

Pam is quick to respond as she heads over to Jim’s desk.  Her opinion is already pretty clear before she even speaks.  She’s not a fan of the one party plan.  Furthermore, she’s surprised to see Jim propose such a big change.  It’s not like him to change anything.  She knows he’s a creature of habit in just about every area of his life, especially with anything work related.  She’s not sure how to approach him, but she’s dying to know if he is seriously planning on going through with his idea.  She’s little nervous, as she fidgets with her hands.  She doesn’t want to flat out tell him it’s a horrible idea, in order to spare his feelings and his confidence for that matter.  However, it occurs to her that the only way she can question his intentions is with a lighthearted tone and a touch of humor.

From here on out, the conversation is a concert of double meaning.  Both sides can “hear” beyond the words as they jump into a trademark session of playful banter.  She asks, “Wow, you’re really shaking things up a bit, huh?”  She playfully taps his desk and leans on the corner as a means to put Jim at ease as she subtlety tries to point out his impending mistake.  Jim can she what she’s doing and responds with the same tone, “It’s a pretty good idea, don’t you think?” He can read her disagreement with his plans, but he’s willing to play the game.  Pam can see the sparkle in his eye and knows this is going to be a fun and playful little argument between them.  She plays her next move, “Do you think it’s a good idea?”  Her tone is a little sarcastic but remains playful in her quest to convince him his idea is terrible.  

Her question is another way of asking, “Are you serious?”  She can sense the impending doom of his idea, but the game has already started and she’s curious on how Jim will prove his point. Jim jovially plays along once again, “No . . .,” as he feigns sadness and looks down to emphasize his joke.  He looks up and finishes his answer with a determined smile, “I think it’s a great idea.”  He’s taking on her challenge and Pam couldn’t be happier.  She knows she’s right and it’ll be fun claim her victory later.  It’s the equivalent of Pam watching Jim fix an electrical outlet even though he has no idea how.  She knows he’ll get the shock of his life, while Jim insists he knows what he’s doing.  It’s the classic couple enigma of both sides dying to say “I told you so.”  Pam gives him a thin lipped grin that tells him, “It’s on.”   

She glances at the camera and back him again as she murmurs, “Hmmm,” with lighthearted sarcasm as if saying, “We’ll see,” to both Jim and the camera.  This should be entertaining for the camera to follow.  She figures if Jim insists on riling up a hornets nest she might as well be entertained.

Although, Pam has engaged in some playful banter with Jim, there is another more caring level to her actions.  Her intention wasn’t initially about playing with Jim, but rather stopping him from making a mistake that could lead to humiliation.  She is trying to save him.  However, she knows him well enough to know she can’t just tell him “no,” especially when he seems so determined and excited about his plan.  She can’t just take it away from him, especially after Angela’s piercing response.  Pam is smart enough to know Jim needs her in his corner even if she disagrees with him.  

Bringing attention to his error via humor was an absolutely brilliant move on Pam’s part.   Humor based communication mixed with nonverbal communication brings together two of JAM’s strongest assets.  Instead of crushing Jim’s ambition, she created a challenge, which she knows Jim sometimes can’t resist.  In effect, she is encouraging him to continue to break through his boundaries in a very subtle, yet powerful way. 

Jim with Oscar:

Pam doesn’t appear until the last few seconds of the scene, but her presence adds to the fact that she is taking care of Jim.   She can be seen peering over the partition that separates accounting from the reception area as Oscar “agrees” with Jim’s birthday party plan.  She is watching as Jim and Oscar interact, knowing full well Jim hasn’t found an ally.  She is clearly keeping an eye on him to ascertain her next move.  Her premonition of impending failure is becoming clearer, which means she will need to continue their previous banter while also letting him know she is on his side, no matter what.  

Break Room:

Pam is sitting at one of the break room tables as she overhears Meredith requesting a Devil’s Food cake for the party.  Jim affably agrees, essentially making Meredith’s day.   He sits down beside Pam with two can’s of soda, one for her and one for himself (Awwwww).  Pam can already see the fallout of Jim’s one party plan, in that she knows everybody will have specific personalized requests.  However, Jim remains oblivious to the complications.  Pam already knows he can’t make everybody happy.  There’s a reason why there are separate parties! However, Pam isn’t about to point out this glaring problem.  

Jim is intent on his plan and Pam isn’t going to stop him.  Instead, she continues the playful banter by saying, “Wow, that was easy.”  Her tone is again lighthearted, but there is a touch of sarcasm.  She knows it’s only going to get harder (twss) and eventually fall apart.  She’s silently telling him to hang onto his hat, a storm will hit.  At the same time, she is offering encouragement with the same tactics and motives from the scene at his desk.  Despite the disaster that is likely to ensue, part of Pam wants to see him pull this off.  

Jim picks up on her tone and offers a comparable response, “Yeah, people like me I guess.”  His confidence is clearly up, but it’s also another shot of playful banter rooted in nonverbal communication.  She most likely “heard” him say, “You’ll see.”  Too bad the screwdriver is getting closer and closer to a live wire.  That electrical shock is just around the bend.  Good thing Pam is ready to soften the blow with some well-timed humor. 

Jim’s Announcement

Just as Pam suspected, Jim’s communal party plan completely falls apart.  She looks on as Jim emerges from Michael’s office a little frazzled and completely frustrated.  Even more surprising is the fact that Jim emerges as a leader as he speaks, “Hey everybody. Hi, how you doing? Can I have your attention please? 'Cause we have to talk about this birthday thing.”  She can’t believe what she’s seeing as Jim is exhibiting Michael characteristics.  Pulling a little prank on Jim is simply irresistible.   Pam’s witty humor springs to life with perfect timing as she raises her hand and asks, “Conference room?,“ with a well played serious tone.  Jim spins around to face her, completely falling for her prompt, “Yes, conference room in five minutes …” Pam is undeniable beaming with the fact that she “got” him.  

Michael’s behavior has always been an inside joke between them.  Her prank is perfect in that it pointed out he is enacting his own joke.  It only takes him seconds to realize she is teasing him. He shoots her a look that tells her, “Good one,” as he verbally says, “No. No. We’re gonna solve it right here.” She tilts her head and smiles acknowledging her well-played prank, while communicating on a nonverbal level, “Yup, I got you.”  In fact she hit the bull’s-eye.  She is beside herself with glee and satisfaction.  In all likelihood she’s never gotten him that good.  

Her prank may have been aimed at teasing him, but it also serves the purpose of grounding Jim when everything is spinning out of control.  This scene is very symbolic of Pam’s role in their relationship.  She’s been anchoring him from the start and continues to do so, despite the kiss in Money.  He is in a role that is very different and it’s clear he’s having trouble adjusting.  Pam’s joke brings him back to a level where he is more comfortable.  

She may be amused with seeing his plan fall apart, (she was right and wants to bask in that), but ultimately she is on his side.  She doesn’t want to see him falter too badly and she knows humor will help him find his focus as he deals with disgruntled co-workers.   Helping Jim find his way back to his strengths will help him carry out his new role as leader with more finesse.  Pam sees his potential playing out before her and she is fascinated.  She wants to see what he is capable of, so it’s important that he is grounded.  Humor is at the core of his being and it anchor him enough to deal with the problem at hand with a much calmer demeanor.

Aside from her prank, Pam was amused with Jim’s behavior when in a leadership role.  Part of her prank was poking fun at how seriously Jim was taking his role.  She knew he needed to lighten up in order to handle the situation.  Then again, on another level, she’s never really seen this side of him and she is once intrigued.  He is full of surprises.  FNB can’t help but see what he could be, the same way Jim saw her potential.   Perhaps, she will encourage his potential in the future and maybe even begin to wonder what is holding him back.  

Pam has really only seen Jim as the laid back paper salesman, seemingly content with his boring job.  She’s never seen him in a management role (aside from leading games in The Fire and Office Olympics), which causes her to see he is capable of more than he gives himself credit.  Once she figures out the elements that hold him back, she’ll know what buttons to push. Just as Jim knew exactly what to say and do to make Pam believe in herself in seasons past. It’s time to return the favor.  

The Bottom Line:

Pam is starting to see the book beyond it’s cover.

- - -

JAM Playlist Song:

I’ll Always Be Right There

Artist: Bryan Adams

Album: 18 Til I Die  

- - - 

Questions to Ponder:

1) Does Pam know about Michael’s previous attempt to organize all the birthdays into one party?  

2) Is Pam aware of Jim’s confidence issues?

3) Should Pam encourage Jim’s leadership potential?  If so, how should she proceed?

 

 

End Notes:

Commonly Used Acronyms: PD = Pam Dichotomy, JP = Jim Paradox, CN = Casino Night, FNB = Fancy New Beesly, QTP = Questions to Ponder

This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation.  Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=5381