If the Fates Allow by nqllisi
Summary: For the Secret Santa Exchange! Christmas through the years with Jim and Pam, from their first Christmas as friends and co-workers to the time their lives had taken them away from Scranton. Merry Christmas!
Categories: Jim and Pam, Present, Past, Future Characters: Jim/Pam
Genres: Holiday
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2018
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 2984 Read: 5670 Published: December 28, 2018 Updated: December 29, 2018
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


1. A Merry Little Christmas by nqllisi

2. Let Your Heart Be Light by nqllisi

3. Our Troubles Will Be Out of Sight by nqllisi

4. Happy Golden Days by nqllisi

5. Through the Years, We All Will Be Together by nqllisi

A Merry Little Christmas by nqllisi

“You’re heading out tonight?” Pam asked as she and Jim exited the elevator into the building lobby. It was Christmas Eve, and corporate had sent out a memo sending everyone home at 3:00pm.


“No, I think I’ll wait and go early tomorrow. There’s not much traffic early on Christmas morning-- pretty sure everybody’s opening presents.” Jim was spending Christmas day with his family at his brother Tom’s house.


Pam’s forehead creased, just a tiny bit. “Will you be all alone for Christmas Eve?”


“Nah, I’m having dinner with my roommate and his girlfriend-- I might even go to mass with them. And then I’ll settle in to finish wrapping presents for tomorrow. It’s actually good that they let us out early--oh!”


JIm had pushed the door to the parking lot open, revealing the first tentative snowflakes drifting in the chilly air.


Pam grinned widely. “Snow! Oh, maybe we’ll get a white Christmas after all!” she exclaimed. Jim had only worked with Pam for a few months, but she was already one of his favorite people in the office. In addition to being very funny, she was just nice about things like wondering about your Christmas Eve plans and getting excited about Christmas snow.


“It’s like five flakes, I wouldn’t get my hopes up,” Jim teased gently.


“No, look, it’s sticking! Mark my words, we’re having a white Christmas. In fact, you’d better leave right away, or you’re going to be snowed in.”


The fluffy snowflakes were, in fact, starting to stick on the cars and the tiny strip of yard around the building. They were also landing lightly on Pam’s hair and on the shoulders of her puffy coat. Jim noticed a sudden, alarming urge to reach out and touch her.


“I’m going to risk it,” he said. “I mean, driving,” he hastened to clarify, to himself as much as to Pam. “I’m going to risk waiting until the morning. I really do have to finish wrapping. But, um, I did start wrapping. So, uh, look....” Jim pulled a small package out of his coat pocket, colorfully and neatly wrapped. “I didn’t want to give this to you in the office, since I didn’t get something for everybody.”


Pam stopped digging her keys out of her purse. Her eyes widened with surprise. “Oh, wow, Jim, that’s so nice...I didn’t get you anything.”

“No, it’s fine. I mean, it was just something I saw and...really, it’s honestly nothing much, I just saw this and thought of you. So, take it. Merry Christmas.”  He held out the small box.


Pam reached out and took the gift, breaking into a wide smile. “Thank you! Oh, my God, Jim, really? You got me a present? Thank you, seriously.” She wiggled her shoulders in an adorable little half-dance of excitement.


“Again, don’t get your hopes up. It’s nothing that exciting. I mean, not that it isn’t...whatever, just, open it!”


“Now? Oh, OK. Um, hold on. I don’t have enough hands.” Pam unlocked her car and put her purse and lunch bag into her back seat. “Eeee, OK. This is officially my first Christmas present of the year.”


Still smiling, Pam tore into the paper forcefully in a way that surprised Jim. He had figured her for a careful, neat un-wrapper. He filed the detail away into the catalog of delightful, surprising things he liked about Pam.


Pam got through the paper, and opened the small white box inside. Her grin of excitement transformed into a smirk as she spied the small plastic bag, filled with pastel-colored rings. “Did you get me a candy necklace, Jim?”


“I did.”


She nodded, clearly trying not to laugh. She couldn’t hold it in, however, and she burst forth with a peal of laughter. “Thank you. This is hilarious.”


“Well, I saw it that same night after we were talking about them, so…” Jim smiled.


Pam was beaming. She shook her head and looked down at the candy necklace again. “This is very exciting. I’m pretty sure this is the only jewelry I’m getting this year.” She rolled her eyes a bit.


Something about that made Jim feel  a little queasy. Again, he fought the urge to reach out and touch her. So he was doubly surprised when she lunged forward and threw her arms around him.


“Seriously, thank you,” she said as she hugged him. She was small and her hug made a funny squishing sound as her nylon jacket rubbed together. He knew he couldn’t actually feel her warmth through both of their coats, but he suddenly felt flush with heat.


He squeezed her gently and let her go. “Merry Christmas, Pam.”


“Merry Christmas, Jim. Drive safely tomorrow.” Still smiling, Pam climbed into her car. Jim took his time getting out his keys and getting into his own car, half watching as Pam drove away.


He glanced down at the snow still accumulating in the parking lot. He hadn’t noticed how deep it had gotten until just that moment.


Let Your Heart Be Light by nqllisi
Author's Notes:
Takes place after "Christmas Party." 

It had been a long, crazy day at the office-- longer and crazier even than usual, exceptionally so-- and Jim was exhausted. He was barely aware of his drive home, and he stumbled into his house as though he’d been drinking.


He hung his coat in the closet, threw his “new” shirt in the trash, and went into the kitchen to grab a beer. He paused for a moment, then washed his hands and made a sandwich. He knew, deep in his bones, that once he sat down, he wouldn’t want to get back up.


Jim went back into the living room. Glancing around, he realized that his roommate must have already been home. The Christmas tree lights were plugged in, and the mail was stacked on the table.


Grabbing the envelopes with his name on them, Jim lowered himself heavily into his battered recliner. As he sat down, he felt the other envelope, the one he’d retrieved from Pam’s teapot, in his pocket. He took it out with a sigh.


Cowardice. Sheer cowardice. He’d poured his heart into that card, into the gift, into getting the gift back for her...and then chickened out.


He flipped through the rest of the mail. A credit card bill, two pieces of junk mail, and three Christmas cards. He recognized his sister-in-law’s pretty handwriting on one. The second turned out to be from his aunt. He felt a twinge of guilt that he never sent her a card in return. He looked at the last card.


That handwriting, too, was familiar. He felt his heart twist.


He opened the envelope. It had a picture of a traditional manger scene on the front, and the pre-printed message inside said, “Wishing you the blessings of Christmas.” In neat blue ink, it was signed, “Pam and Roy.”


And that was why he’d taken his card back. He sighed deeply and turned on the television.


But as he drifted off to sleep, many hours later, he remembered her smile when she opened her teapot. And that’s why he didn’t throw his card away.


Our Troubles Will Be Out of Sight by nqllisi
Author's Notes:
Takes place just prior to "Benihana Christmas."

Jim hated Christmas shopping, really, but he was always proud of finding just the right gift for each person on his list. He was also proud of being almost done.


He did a quick inventory of the contents of his bright red Target shopping cart. Wine for his sister-in-law, beer for his brother. A board game of some sort for his niece (the specific one he’d been assigned to buy. He didn’t go off-script anymore, after the stuffed unicorn disaster two years ago). A couple of books he knew his dad wanted, and a gift card and some earrings for his mother. Nobody else was coming for Christmas dinner at his brother’s house this year, so that was his entire familial responsibility.


So that left...Karen. He was frustrated by his lack of ideas. He liked Karen, and they’d been dating long enough that he needed to get her something somewhat personal-- no gift cards or baskets of assorted Christmas treats. But he wasn’t ready for clothing or jewelry, and there were no shows coming up that he was sure she’d want tickets for.


They were keeping it casual. But he needed to get her something. And something that he could give her at the office, as they’d both realized they wouldn’t have any more time alone together before they each hit the road to see their families. What would be appropriate to give her at a margarita-themed office party?


He was wandering aimlessly through the store, hoping for inspiration, when the televisions on the wall across the store in the electronics section caught his eye. A movie? Maybe that would work--one that they’d seen together, so that it was a personal memory but nothing too...sentimental.


Jim started to cross the store to the DVD section. To avoid a family with two loudly bickering children, he cut down a random aisle. And then he stopped.


Art supplies. Sketch pads. Charcoal pencils. Paints and fancy pens. Jim stood as though frozen, looking around him. How many times had he researched these things? How many times had he been tempted to buy them, and then changed his mind?


How many times would he be stuck right here?


With a grimmer set to his jaw, he set off to find a copy of “Bridget Jones’ Diary.”


Happy Golden Days by nqllisi
Author's Notes:
Takes place during The Dark Times (aka "the writer's strike"). 

“Are you ready to go?” Jim leaned across the silver garland on Pam’s desk with a smile. He could hardly stop smiling these days. Now that they were a couple-- a real, official, boyfriend-and-girlfriend couple-- he couldn’t keep the grin off his face.


So he was a little surprised when Pam frowned at him. “I guess,” she said.


“What’s the matter?”


“Nothing. I mean...nothing.” She smiled, but it obviously took an effort. She still looked tense around her eyes.


“Are you sure? It’s Christmas, and we’re leaving early, so if there’s something wrong, I need to know how to fix it before it ruins my buzz.”


Pam rolled her eyes, but her smile looked more genuine. “No buzz killing here, I promise. Let me get the voicemail set for the holiday, and then we can get on the road.”


They rode the elevator down to the parking lot holding hands. This wasn’t unusual, exactly, but Jim noticed that she seemed to be holding on hard.


They got in Jim’s car, which they’d already packed with their luggage and the gifts they were taking for Jim’s family. As they settled in, Jim heard Pam take in a deep breath.


“OK, Beesly. Spill. What’s the matter?”


Pam laughed a little bit. “I really can’t keep anything from you, can I? Fine. I’m nervous, OK? I’m finally meeting the infamous Halpert family. What if they don’t like me? Or even if they do? I have a feeling it’s going to be...a lot.”


Jim was tempted to laugh, but he caught himself. Instead, he put his hand on Pam’s as he pulled out of the parking lot. “The Halperts can be a lot,” he acknowledged. “But they will like you. You are...so great. And even if you weren’t, you make me happy, so they’ll be happy.”


“You’re pretty great yourself,” Pam said softly.


“Yes. Yes, I am.”


“Let’s not get carried away, there, Halpert,” Pam giggled.


“You packed all the gifts?” Jim was 100% sure she had, but he wanted to change the subject.


“Yes. Fishing stuff for your brother and your dad, perfume and a framed watercolor painting for your mom, ceramic coasters for your sister, and whatever that horrible doll is for your niece.”


“I told you, I buy what I’m told.” Jim shuddered. The doll was ridiculously ugly.


“I know, I’m just saying. And poinsettias for everybody.”


The poinsettias were a Beesly family tradition, and Pam had insisted on bringing them along. She claimed it was a way to make herself feel more comfortable, but Jim thought it was very sweet that she wanted to merge some of their family traditions.


He thought most things about her were pretty sweet. “So, when do you want your Christmas gift?” he said as they merged onto the highway.


“On...Christmas?” Pam answered, but her curiosity was obvious.


“OK, but you can have it now, if you want.” Jim thought, fleetingly, about the sparkling diamond ring he’d bought months before. He’d left it at home, tempted as he’d been to give it to her already. He knew they weren’t ready, so...he’d bought nice art paper and expensive oil pastels for her instead.


Pam looked at him in amused confusion. “What, now? It’s here in the car? I mean, not in the trunk?”


Jim gave her a sideways smile. “Yes, you can have your gift right now if you want. Or, part of it, anyway.”


Pam hesitated. “What?” Jim asked. “You can wait until tomorrow morning if you want, I just thought you might like a present now.”


“Oh, OK.” Pam started to giggle. “I wasn’t sure...I mean, I’d open it now if it was something personal or private, but it can’t be too...you know, um... ‘personal’ or ‘private’ if you want me to open it while you’re driving.”


It took Jim a second to understand what she was implying. “Pam Beesly. I did not buy you lingerie for Christmas at my brother’s house. Wow.” Jim tried to sound disapproving, but he could only laugh. “Geez, no wonder you are nervous, if that’s what you think of us.”


Pam finished laughing. “I can wait until tomorrow for the presents. I guess. But seriously? Please don’t tease me about being nervous. This is...meeting your family. This is big. I really want them to like me.”


“They will, Pam. But who cares if they don’t? Isn’t having one Halpert in love with you enough?” Jim’s eyes were carefully, deliberately on the road. They’d traded “I love you”s long before, but there was still something that felt risky in repeating a phrase so loaded with history.


Pam leaned over, straining against her seat belt to reach Jim’s cheek for a gentle kiss. “That’s more than enough,” she said softly. “It’s the best present I could ever ask for.”



Through the Years, We All Will Be Together by nqllisi
Author's Notes:
Takes place...after. 

The Texas sun was shining, and Jim walked out his front door with two mugs of coffee. Pam sat on their front porch watching the kids play in the yard. The high for the day was going to be around 65, although it was a little cooler than that so far. She reached for her coffee with a smile, pulling an old, threadbare cardigan around her. He hadn’t realized she still had it.


“So...the nerf guns not a big hit, huh?” Jim said deadpan, as their children shrieked with laughter and shot at each other with glee.


Pam smiled. “They like them a little bit, I think.” She kept her eyes on the kids and sipped her drink. “I think they liked all of their presents, actually.”


“Yes. I think they are having a very Merry Christmas.”  Jim paused and looked at his wife. “What about you? Are you having a Merry Christmas?”


Pam met his eyes, still with the same half smile. “Yes. Of course. I love my presents, the kids are having fun, it’s a gorgeous day...it’s just...it still doesn’t feel like Christmas with this weather, you know?”


Jim nodded his head. It was an old topic between them. They’d both grown up in Pennsylvania, with rough winters and plenty of snow. And although they were delighted and grateful for the milder weather here for most of the winter months, it was still strange to celebrate Christmas in a t-shirt and a light sweater.


Pam took another sip and continued. “I was looking at our Christmas decorations this morning. They seem so out of place, here. I mean, Santa is in a fur coat and winter boots, and our tree would never grow in this climate if it weren’t plastic, and why on earth do we have icicle lights?” She shrugged. “I know I sound crazy. I love it here. It’s just...still hard on Christmas.”


“I know. But going home for Christmas is just so hard with the kids. Maybe when they’re older and they just want...gift cards? Cash? Stuff we don’t have to pack?” Jim shrugged, and Pam laughed.


Jim was relieved at the sound of her laughter. They had had ups and downs, but he always felt better when he knew he could make her laugh. “I have one more present for you, by the way,” he said.


“You do? Did we miss it under the tree?” Pam looked surprised. She was always very vigilant about the gifts under the tree-- to make sure everything was fair and even.


But this wasn’t an oversight. This was a deliberate surprise. “No, I wanted to wait. I thought about giving it to you last night, but then we got busy with the last of the wrapping so I thought I’d wait until the kids were distracted. Hold on…”


Jim went back into the house and came out with a wrapped box. Pam stared at Jim for a long moment before smiling and taking the box. She tore into it impatiently-- she never had been one to open gifts neatly. Inside the wrapping paper was a plain box, which she opened to find…


“A teapot?”


“It’s a real bone china teapot. The rest of the tea set is in the house. I thought you could use an upgrade.”


Pam smiled up at Jim, her eyes shining. “It’s gorgeous. Look at those beautiful purple flowers! I love it.”


Jim leaned over and looked into his wife’s eyes. “It comes with bonus gifts,” he said softly.


Pam opened the teapot to find it stuffed full of treasures. A yogurt lid. An origami swan. A set of earbuds for a device that had been obsolete for years. Three newspaper clippings-- a wedding announcement and two birth announcements. Two plastic baggies, with a tiny baby tooth in each one. On and on, artifacts of their years together.


And among these items of historical significance, one new item: a candy necklace.


“Thank you. I love it. I love you,” Pam said, wiping tears from her cheeks.


“Merry Christmas, Pam,” Jim said to his wife.


This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=5586