Dunder Mifflin: This is Alice by undiscoverable words
Summary: A new receptionist joins the office after Pam leaves Dunder Mifflin to become a saleswoman at Michael Scott Paper Company Inc
Categories: Other, Episode Related Characters: Dwight, Ensemble, Jim/Pam, Other
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: Other Adult Theme
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 11244 Read: 9271 Published: January 04, 2019 Updated: June 12, 2019
Story Notes:

Starts during the episode "Michael Scott Paper Company" 

 Main pairing is Dwight x Alice (OC)

 

1. Michael Scott Paper Company by undiscoverable words

2. Chapter 2 by undiscoverable words

3. Chapter 3 by undiscoverable words

4. Casual Friday by undiscoverable words

5. Cafe Disco by undiscoverable words

6. Company Picnic by undiscoverable words

7. Chapter 7 by undiscoverable words

8. Chapter 8 by undiscoverable words

9. Chapter 9 by undiscoverable words

10. Niagara by undiscoverable words

11. Chapter 11 by undiscoverable words

Michael Scott Paper Company by undiscoverable words
Pt 1

Alice: Yep. Today is my first day. The ad was very basic, very professional… I got here and my first thought was “Wow, this place is boring” But I am a college graduate with enormous student debt in need of a job, and they needed a receptionist.


“Dunder Mifflin, this is Alice,” I greet, catching Jim looking at me as I work at my desk.

He awkwardly smiles and goes back to work.


It’s my understanding that his fiancee had this job for years, so I get that he’s not used to seeing anyone else at her desk. And… From what I’ve heard she left to go work with their old boss? Who left to start his own paper company? I don’t know all the details…


“Dwight, can I see you in my office?” Charles asks, gesturing towards the inside of his office.


Oh, and, uh, Charles asked Dwight to help get me situated, so here’s hoping that goes well. In one of his routine trips to my desk, Jim warned me that Dwight has his own way of doing things…


“Hello, Alice,” Dwight offers his hand to shake. “Dwight Schrute, Assistant Regional Manager, Top Salesman, Beet Farmer, and, for today, Tour Guide.”


Jim: Dwight never includes all of his many titles in a simple introduction, I wonder what his deal is…


I shake Dwight’s hand, impressed by his many accolades. He grins, walking around me to lead me through the office. We pass the sales department, briefly stop at accounting, and go through the kitchen and breakroom to get to the annex.


Dwight: What do I think of the new receptionist? Well, not much, she’s merely Pam’s replacement. But I have to say, she could do well here. She’s already organised everything Pam left behind and she’s rather good at transferring calls for her first day.


Angela: I don’t see what the big deal is, she’s just a receptionist. I’m the head of accounting– which is a much harder job than filling a candy bowl and answering phones– but you don’t see me flaunting myself around the office…


Kevin: The new receptionist is hot. Way hotter than Pam.


“So, Assistant Regional Manager, what might a girl like myself do on a Friday night? I’ve never been to Scranton till I moved here-”

“How should I know? I’m not a young girl, I’m a man.” Dwight rolls his eyes at me.

“Right, you’re right. Sorry, maybe I’ll ask Kelly.”

Dwight scoffs.

“Don’t ask Kelly, she’ll suggest going to the mall and chasing after a lame temp who won’t return her calls. You don’t need to waste your time doing that. You might only be a receptionist, but have some self-worth.”

“Oh… Kay…” I start to walk away, back out to my desk.

“If I was a young woman new to Scranton, I might like Poor Richards, I guess.” Dwight offers as I leave the room.


Alice (slowly smiling): I don’t know what Jim was on about, Dwight is plenty nice, and a very straight-forward, honest person…


“So, Alice, I expect that Dwight showed you around the office, helped you get familiar with the place?” Charles asks.

I nod, “Uh, yeah,”

“Of course I did, Charles.” Dwight assures.

“Uh, you might not want to hear from me, but I believe Dwight still has more to show Alice?” Jim suggests.

“Oh, yeah, Jim, like what?” Dwight scoffs.

“The hidden jewels of Scranton?”

“Oh, no, that’s not-” I protest.

“Well, maybe that is a good idea. You do know Dwight best after all.” Charles agrees.


Dwight: Stupid Jim, wasting up my personal hours. Though, I suppose it wouldn’t be too bad to take an attractive young woman out for drinks…


Jim: Why’d I do it? Well, let’s just say I’m well versed in first day infatuations.


Alice: Dwight’s taking me out for drinks after work. I’m not complaining, he seems like a very interesting guy. This could be fun…


At the end of the day, I grab my coat and wait for Dwight, per his instructions.

“Follow me,” he suggests, walking out of the office without waiting for me to follow.

I catch the elevator right before it closes and we ride down in silence. Dwight walks to his car without a word, and I cautiously follow behind him. I catch Angela shooting daggers my way as she walks to her car. I quickly get into the passenger’s side while Dwight gets into the driver’s side and starts his car.

“Dwight?”

“Yes?”

“What’s the deal with Angela? She gave me a dirty look earlier…”

“She’s jealous. She had a chance with me and squandered it, and now doesn’t like the sight of me out with a beautiful, much taller woman.”

My cheeks heat up after hearing him call me beautiful. I say nothing the rest of the way to Poor Richards.


Once we get to the bar, Dwight leads me inside, and I instantly take in the celtic vibes in the decor of the place. It’s plenty loud for a Friday night, with many groups of people throughout the bar.

Dwight walks up to the bar, not waiting for me to follow behind him again. I quickly walk behind him, trying to keep up. Holding two beers, he nods his head in the direction of a free booth for us to sit. He sits, sliding one of the beers across to me.

“Thanks, Dwight.” I say, taking the beer in my hands.

“This is Poor Richards. Nothing special. I hope you like beer, I didn’t bother ordering you a lame fruity drink with a straw.”

I can’t hold back a smile.

“No, yeah, beer is good. A drink with a straw would be bad for the environment, so…” I take a sip of the beer, tasting to see if I’ll like it. “This is actually really good, thanks!”

“You’re welcome,” Dwight nods, taking a gulp from his own beer. “Right over there, behind the bar,” Dwight adds, pointing. “Pam’s ex-fiancee Roy smashed this really well-crafted stained glass. He got angry after she admitted to kissing Jim. It turned into a whole big thing. I had to defend Jim with mace.”

“What?” I reply in disbelief.

“It’s a shame, that stained glass was a nice addition to this bar.” Dwight shrugs off the other details, drinking more of his beer.

Halfway through my beer, I decide to be brave.

“Dwight?”

“Yes?”

“What happened with Angela? You said she ruined her chance with you–”

“Yes, she was sleeping with me while engaged to Andy. There was a duel, but in the end we left her to regret her decisions and became somewhat friends.”

“Wow,” I breathe. “I guess you have to entertain yourselves somehow in such a small town, huh?”

Dwight scoffs, offering to get me another beer. He returns with two more beers, sliding me a full glass.

“I’m sorry she did that to you... But why were you sleeping with her in the first place if she was engaged?”

“She loved me. She was engaged to Andy as a slight to me, to get back at me for euthanizing her very sick cat.”

I can’t help laughing.

“You have some crazy stories there, Dwight.”

“They’re all factual events–” I continue laughing.

“But Andy? That guy’s a lunatic, and I only met him for five minutes!”  

“You’re correct. He’s dim and has anger issues. He’s a very simple man with no life plan. And a terrible salesman.”

“Y’know, Dwight?” I say, starting on my third beer in the last hour. “You’re a really funny guy.”

“Oh, ha-ha, did Jim make jokes about me back at the office?”

“No, shhhh–” I reach across the booth, placing my finger against his mouth. “You’re a really cool, funny, honest dude… And you think I’m beauty-ful,” giggle, leaning back into the booth.

“Oh, well, yes. You are, you’re an exceptionally beautiful young woman. I’d be foolish to not acknowledge you as such. You’re also a lightweight.”


Chapter 2 by undiscoverable words
Pt 2

Alice: So, Dwight took me to Poor Richards last week. It was… Nice. I got drunk, learned a lot about my co-workers…


Dwight: Alice is a simple lightweight. She gets drunk easily and acts accordingly. She got sloppy at Poor Richards. It was difficult taking her back to her hotel.


Dwight takes Alice to his car, helping her into the backseat.

“Woo - Woo! Backseat!” Alice cheers.

“Come on, girl. You’re not heavy, but you’re making this difficult.” Dwight grumbles.

“You’re so nice, Dwight.” Alice grumbles, facedown against the seat cushion.


Dwight: I would’ve let her stay in one of our guest rooms at Schrute Farms, but it would’ve been impossible to get any puke out of the mattress.


The phone rings, alerting me to start doing my job instead of staring over at Dwight and Jim.

“Dunder Mifflin, this is Alice.”


Pam comes in asking to see Charles. She starts begging for her old job back, but Charles tells her that I’m the new receptionist. I breathe a sigh of relief.


“Don’t worry about her,” Dwight offers. “She made the stupid decision of following Michael on his crazy whim. You’re the new receptionist, and you’ll be here to stay.”


Jim gives the camera a look.


Jim: I don’t think Dwight realizes it yet, but he’s becoming partial to the new receptionist, Alice. He took care of her after taking her out for drinks, he’s encouraging her to feel safe at her job… He’s got it bad for the receptionist. (laughs) I remember what that was like.


Angela: I don’t care, Dwight can do what he wants with her. She’s just a young girl who sits at the front desk and answers calls. If he wants to slum it, fine.


At lunch, I sit at the back table by myself, picking at the vending machine snacks I ordered.


“Oh, hello there, Alice.” Andy greets, sauntering over to my table and taking a seat, drumming his hand on the surface. “So you had fun with the Schrute-ster on Friday, huh? If you want to have a really good time we could throw back some brewskis. I was a major drinker in college, always drunk or hungover, I was a bit of a partier. Still aced all my classes though– straight B’s.”


I raise my eyebrow at Andy, not saying a word.


“Andy, stop pestering the receptionist. That’s Jim’s job.” Dwight says, walking in from the kitchen. “Vending machine? Terribly unhealthy. Didn’t you pack a better lunch?” I shake my head.


“I’m staying in a hotel, Dwight. You think I have groceries or the means to pack a lunch?”


“Yeah, Dwight!”


“Shut it, Andy. Fair point, if Michael were here he’d offer to take you out to lunch, but he’s not. I shall do it, would you like to go out to lunch?”


I can’t help the smile that spreads onto my face.


“Yes, thanks, Dwight!”


The camera catches the mix of expressions from everyone as Dwight and I walk through the office, out to the elevators. Jim gives the camera a surprised, impressed look.


Jim: Alice is a nice girl, and Dwight might actually have a shot.  


Andy: Dwight’s getting a lot of face time with the hot new receptionist, and I think it’s unfair to the rest of us. Isn’t it bad enough that he wrecked my marriage? And I thought we were becoming friends…


“Thanks for saving me from Andy. I had no idea what to contribute to that conversation.” I admit, laughing.


I glance over at Dwight as he drives, catching him smile.


“He’s terribly arrogant,” Dwight comments.


“Yeah… You’re not wrong there.” I agree with a chuckle.


“Dwight? Where’s Dwight?” Charles asks, emerging from his office, looking for Dwight.


“Uhhh,” Jim tries, spinning around in his chair to look at Charles.


“Dwight isn’t here.” Andy says. “He left, for lunch, with our very important, new receptionist.”


Charles nods.


“I see…”


Jim: Turns out, Michael has been scalping a bunch of Dwight’s clients. I guess he’s been too distracted to notice…


Dwight and I return to the office, laughing. Charles immediately leaves his office and stands near Jim’s desk, looking stern.


“What’s this, Dwight? You leave, unwarranted in the middle of the day? And you take the receptionist? What if I had meetings, or important messages that I didn’t get in her absence.”


My jaw drops as I look between Dwight and Charles. Dwight looks ashamed and flustered.


“Sorry, Charles. I had nothing for lunch and Dwight wanted to make sure I had something to eat to keep me productive. It’s really my fault.” I offer, hoping to take the heat off of Dwight.


Dwight turns his attention to me, immediately shaking his head, disapproving of my self-blame.


“No…” he whispers. “Charles, it was my idea to go out to lunch. I’m sorry I wasted valuable company time and kept her from her responsibilities.”


Charles hums indistinctly. Dwight and I share a worried look. Without another word, Charles retreats back into his office, closing the door.


“I’m so sorry, Dwight.” I whisper, trying to reach for his hand.


“It’s fine,” he assures, pulling his hand away from my reach and heading over to his desk.


Jim gives me a sympathetic look.


An hour later, I catch Dwight leave the office. I try to ignore it and continue my work, but there’s not much to do.


“Jim,” I whisper, catching his attention. “What’s going on with Dwight?” I ask, glancing at the door to the office again. “He’s not in trouble is he?”


“Well, he’s losing clients thanks to Michael, our old boss. I’m sure he went to meet with Michael and sort it all out. Don’t worry, he’s not mad at you.”


I smile in thanks and pretend to have work to do, waiting for Dwight to return.


The camera catches Angela standing by the copier, glaring at me.


Angela (scoffs): This new floozy, nearly costing Dwight his job. He’s got to be smart about this. What? Yes, that’s true, I did cause Dwight to quit briefly… And I did convince him to go over Michael’s head to Jan… (huffs) whatever.


Chapter 3 by undiscoverable words
Pt 3

“Long sleeves, Dwight?” I comment, giggling as I watch Dwight walk into the office. He rolls his eyes and heads straight to his desk.


Dwight: Charles implemented a new dress code which requires me to wear long sleeve dress shirts as opposed to my usual, shorter sleeves. These shirts are extremely uncomfortable and restrictive.


I call to Charles’ personal office phone.


“David Wallace is here to see you.” I inform, offering a smile to the nice, well-groomed man waiting at my desk.


Charles leaves his office and greets David with abnormal friendliness. Jim looks to the camera. Charles and David go to the conference room. David calls in Jim, whereas Charles calls in Dwight. I watch attentively, intrigued and concerned.


After fifteen minutes, Jim emerges, and hastily walks passed me and out to the elevators. I pretend to work, catching David’s eye from the conference room.


“What?” Dwight says, turning to see David looking at me. “She’s our new receptionist. Nice, attractive, good at her job. Why do you ask?”


I smile to myself, trying not to blush.


Alice: Okay, yes. It’s nice to hear Dwight speak highly of me and compliment me. I don’t know…


Jim comes back with three people in tow, Pam being the only one I recognize. They all go to the conference room to talk with Charles and David.


“Wow, no one told me the new receptionist was hot,” I hear from the older man of the three.

Pam and the other man glance back at me. Pam gives me a sympathetic look, while the younger man smiles, nodding at me. After about an hour there’s cheers and Michael shoos Charles out of the office.


“What’s happening?” I whisper to Dwight, who’s standing closest to my desk.


“Dunder Mifflin bought out Michael’s little start-up. He insisted on jobs for Pam and Ryan and in sales, and that Charles be fired. So, now, Michael is your new boss.”


I nod, not sure what to do with all of this information. Michael turns around, smiling widely.


“Oh, hello, I’m Michael Scott, former owner of Michael Scott Paper Company, current Regional Manager. You must be Pam’s replacement.” I nod again, glancing at Dwight and then Jim.


Ryan comes up to me and introduces himself.


“I’m Ryan Howard, the youngest CEO of our company, and now a salesman.” I shake his hand and politely smile.


“Yes, but he defrauded our company and lost his position as CEO.” Dwight mutters, making me laugh.


“Oh, you’re the one Kelly chases? The temp?”


Ryan shrinks back at my words, embarrassed.


“Uh, yeah…”


“RYAAAN!” I hear from the other side of the office, and then see Kelly running up to Ryan and tackling him in a hug, kissing all over his face.


Dwight and I share a look, and I can’t help laughing at the scene before us.

Kelly (grinning): Ryan is back! It’s the best day ever! He’s back!



Casual Friday by undiscoverable words
Pt. 4

Alice: So, Michael is once again Regional Manager, and his first order as boss was to reinstate Casual Fridays. I wasn’t really sure what was standard for casual day, so I stuck with a plain v-neck and a cardigan, and some jeans. I’m noticing, however, that casual  means different things to everyone else…


“Dunder Mifflin this is Alice,” I say, trying to answer phones and pay attention to the stuff I have to do around here.


Dwight walks in, looking about the same, except for his tie.


“What’re you staring at?” He mutters, catching me watching him walk to his desk.


I retreat my gaze to the calendar on my desk and pretend to be busy.


Alice (slightly blushing): I don’t know… He usually just looks like your average salesman with his dress shirt and tie, but… Without a tie he’s much more… casually handsome… (mumbles) Like a guy in a magazine modeling suits


“Careful, Alice, don’t wanna catch flies!” Michael jokes, approaching my desk, and calling attention to my mouth hanging open.


“Sorry,” I say, clearing my throat.




“We will all quit!” Dwight says, challenging Michael.


“You’re not actually going to quit are you?” I worry, watching Michael look dumbfounded at his sales team.


“No, relax. We just need Michael to give us our old clients back.” Dwight explains in a whisper.


Alice: I don’t know what I would do here without Dwight. He’s been extremely nice and friendly with me, and I’m not very close with anyone else here…


After the commotion with the sales team, I hear a lot of yelling coming from the annex. I walk in to see most of the office arguing with Toby.


“All right, I am taking over this meeting,” Dwight says, stepping in front of Toby.


“Wha- no!” Toby argues.


“Wow,” I breathe, admiring Dwight’s outfit again.


“What, Toby?” Meredith whispers, giving Toby a look.


“What? No, ew, God, no.” I laugh, and Meredith shrugs.


“Again, what are you staring at?” Dwight asks, calling attention to me.


I’m quick to turn my eyes away, pretending he’s talking to someone else. Everyone turns to look, watching me.


“Wha- I don’t…” I mumble, quickly turning around and heading back to my desk.


“Alice, Michael wants to see you,” Pam says, leaving his office with a smile.


Nervously, I get up and head into his office.


“All right, so here it is… You’re fired. We’re gonna have to let you go. Everyone else keeps complaining about you, and it’s just not working.” He states with a straight face, slightly chuckling at the end.


“Wh- what? That can’t be true… I’ve been nice to everyone here… Dwight’s been really nice to me, I thought…”


Michael lets out a cackle, wiping his eyes.


“No, it’s a joke. You’re not fired. Everyone seems to be taking to you. Well, except Angela but she doesn’t really like anybody. No worries.” He continues laughing, holding his stomach.


I force a smile and leave his office, slowly treading back to my desk.


“Hello, Alice, what’s the matter?” Dwight asks, coming up to my desk.


I sigh, looking up at him.


“I think Michael just… fake fired me?”


I search Dwight’s face for any telling evidence, reminding myself not to look down at his loose shirt collar.


“Yes, he does that occasionally. Hopefully it is fake and you’re safe to work here.” He adds with a smile.


My stomach erupts in butterflies.


“Thanks, Dwight.” I say, a smile spreading over my face.


“Don’t mention it,” he replies, tapping my desk before turning and heading back to his cluster of desks.


Dwight: Why am I being nice to her? Simple, she’s a bright, sweet girl who’s nice to look at. We’ve grown somewhat close in her first few weeks here. Why wouldn’t I be nice to her?



Cafe Disco by undiscoverable words

Pt 5

At lunch, I find Dwight at a table and decide to sit with him. He smiles, taking a bite of his sandwich.


“What’cha got there, Dwight?” I ask, mentally slapping myself.


“Sandwich,” he replies, swallowing his food. “Did you bring anything for lunch?”


I shake my head, showing my empty hands. He gives me a disapproving look.


“Here,” he tears off a chunk of his sandwich, handing it to me.


“Uh, thank you…” I say, accepting his offer.


Pam (dumbfounded): Did I miss something? Dwight just shared his lunch with the new receptionist…


Alice: It’s no big deal, I just haven’t had the money to rent an apartment; I also have  nowhere to put groceries yet, so…


“Alright, people!” Michael runs through the office, clapping his hands. “I have taken it upon myself to open up a lovely, groovy place to let go of all of your stress! A Cafe Disco, as they say.” He announces, grinning to himself.


“A what?” I ask.


“There’s expresso and disco music, New Pam. Just-”


“Uh, it’s Alice…”


“Whatever, just come down to the party!” Michael laughs, running back out towards the elevators.


I sigh, glancing around to find everyone still working. Dwight looks up, catching my eyes.


Dwight: Michael can do whatever he wants here with his time, but I’m here to sell paper. Maybe if no one else stays I’ll– what?


The camera pans over to Phyllis, Andy, Kelly, and Oscar leaving the office. Alice watches them, wanting to follow.


Jim: I think, if Dwight wants to make a move on Alice, this might be a good chance. Or, at the very least, a place to start.


Pam (to Jim): Dwight likes Alice? And you didn’t tell me! Jim! This is huge!


Jim shrugs


I glance over at Dwight, typing away on his computer. There’s only a few of us left up here, but I’d rather be checking out Cafe Disco and mingling with the rest of the office.


“Dwight!” I whisper, trying to get his attention.


“What?” He replies, not looking up from his computer screen.


“Do you wanna go check it out?”


He scoffs.


“If I wanted to waste my time with disco, I’d do it on my own time, not office hours.”


I sigh.


“Oh, come on, Dwight! Let’s go dance!” I try again, getting up and walking towards his desk. “I won’t go unless you come with me.”


“Why is that?” He replies, still not looking up at me.


“You’re my closest friend here, and… It wouldn’t be any fun down there without you.” I admit, looking at my hands.


“Really?” He whispers, looking up at me, finally.


“Well, yeah…” I admit, nodding.


He looks at the camera before standing abruptly and taking my hand, leading me to the elevators and down to the closet where Michael is holding Cafe Disco.


“Dwight!” I yell, catching my breath.


He grins at me, the colorful lights reflecting off of his glasses.


The camera catches a close up of Dwight and Alice still holding hands. Then the camera pans to Angela, standing in the corner looking at them angrily.



Company Picnic by undiscoverable words

Pt 6


Kevin: Dwight has got it bad for Alice. He might deny it, but it’s so obvious.


Alice: Yeah, Dwight and I are getting pretty close. So far, he’s my best friend in the office. Everyone acts like we’re dating… I guess this is similar to how Jim and Pam started? They were really good friends and caught feelings? I don’t know… We’re just good friends…


Dwight: Yes, Alice and I are friends.


A clip plays of Dwight looking at Alice in a sweet, longing way from his desk.


Dwight: What? I can’t have friends in the office?


“Dunder Mifflin, this is Alice,” I greet the person on the other end of the phone. “Just a moment, let me transfer you…”


Michael: Oh, yeah. It was the first thing I noticed when I came back to work here. Up until now, I was Dwight’s best friend. So, yeah, I’ve noticed his relationship with Alice. Am I surprised? (laughs) I can’t believe someone that hot puts up with Dwight willingly. (laughs) It’s insane!


“Hey, Alice, do you need a ride to the picnic on Saturday?” Kelly offers.


“Uh, yeah, that’d be great. Thanks! I’m staying at the Econo Lodge…”


“Oh, yikes!”


Alice: I was waiting for about a month until I found somewhere to live, just in case this job didn’t work out and I’d have to go somewhere else. Now, it’s been about six weeks and I still haven’t found a place that’s close enough to the office and in a nice location in town. Michael suggested getting a condo in his neighborhood… That’s the last thing I’d want to do, so I’m still looking.


I notice Dwight look up periodically during my conversation with Kelly.


Jim: Yeah, I might have suggested to Dwight that he makes a move. Sure, he didn’t wait four years like I did, but Alice also isn’t engaged to someone else. And, this weekend is the company picnic which might be the perfect time…  


“It’s gonna be super hot today, I hope I don’t sweat in front of Ryan.” Kelly whines, holding her hand above her eyes to block sun.


“Yeah… I wish I brought a hat with me…” I agree, squinting to take a look around.


We walk over to where the rest of our branch is waiting, ready to start volleyball.


“Alright, I’ve written this up strategically so that we should win today. Oh, hello ladies. Middle row, with Andy and Ryan.”


“Yay, Ryan! Isn’t that great we’re right next to each other!”


“Yeah, whatever…”


“Wow,” I mumble, watching Ryan ignore Kelly.


“How are you, Alice?” Dwight asks, standing against the sun, blocking it from my face.


“I’m good, Dwight, thank you. Nice hat,” I say, smiling.


The camera zooms in on Dwight’s face as Alice walks away, over to her spot on the field. He smiles briefly, turning his attention to the start of the game.


“I can sub in,” Angela offers, waiting for Rolph to decide who joins the game.


“I can’t hear cheaters or whores who break my friend’s heart.” Rolph replies, ignoring Angela and calling in Meredith instead.


I can’t hold back laughter at Rolph’s comment.


“Damn, he tells it like it is,” I comment, getting Dwight’s attention.


He and Rolph share a look, glancing at me. Angela huffs, taking a seat next to Stanley. Dwight smiles at me before focusing on the next serve.


“I’ve got it!” Pam calls, spiking the ball all the way to the back, across the net, out of reach of the Albany team.


“All right, Pam!” I cheer, high-fiving her.


Jim looks at the camera, and then glances at Dwight, who’s watching Alice laugh and encourage Pam.


The rest of the game, Pam and I act as a team, setting and spiking the ball, advancing the Scranton branch to the next round, against corporate.


“Nice playing, Alice.” Dwight compliments.


“Thank you, Dwight.” I nod, smiling at him.


The camera pans, catching Dwight watching Alice walk away.


“You like her?” Rolph asks Dwight, snapping him out of his thoughts. Dwight stiffens.


“Perhaps. She’s young, attractive, intelligent, and kind. What’s not to like?”


Kevin: I knew it


After the disaster that was Michael’s sketch with Holly, the team reconvenes to play against corporate.


“Let’s go! The branches of Dunder Mifflin need this more now than ever.” Dwight announces, trying to hype up our team. “We’ve got to win!”


“Gosh, it’s really hot today…” I pant, fanning myself before deciding to take off my Scranton t-shirt, revealing my tank top.


The camera pans to catch everyone’s reactions. Angela rolls her eyes, Jim looks at the camera and then to Pam. Kelly smacks Ryan for looking.


“Wow…” Kevin says, shamelessly staring.


“Nice,” Meredith says, following suit and discarding her t-shirt.


The camera focuses on Dwight’s expression, mouth hung open as he watches Alice strip of her t-shirt and get back into position to play. He clears his throat and hands off the ball the Pam.


After a few points, Pam slips in the mud and twists her ankle. Jim lifts her up and runs her to the car.


“We’ve got to stall…” I whisper to Dwight. He nods.


“I’m so mad!” He yells, kicking the volleyball into the woods. “I’ll get it,” he shrugs, slowly following after the ball into the woods.


Once he disappears, I volunteer to help him find the ball.


“Dwight?” I call, hearing the crunch of branches up ahead.


“Alice? What’re you doing here? Be careful, there are roots sticking up and large branches–”


“Thanks, Dwight, I’ll be fi–” I trip, nearly falling into a pile of leaves and dirt. “It’s okay, I’m okay!” I call, but hear Dwight running through the woods to find me.


As I start to brush myself off, he lifts me and stands me back on my feet.


“I told you to be careful.” He scolds, looking me over to check for injuries.


I brush off some dirt and leaves, smiling up at Dwight.


“What’re you doing here?” He repeats, waiting for an answer.


I shrug. The camera zooms in on my face.


“I… Thought I could help you look.” Dwight scoffs.


“I think I can find it on my own, thank you.” He turns to leave, but stops.


Dwight takes my hand and leads me through the woods, looking for the ball. I can’t help smiling and blushing as we walk through the leaves, dirt, and grass.


“I’ve found it!” Dwight assures, nearing the spot where the ball landed.


“Wait,” I say, pulling him back.


“What?”


“We should give Jim and Pam a little more time.” I say, flustered.


“What?”


“Kiss me.” I say, staring him in the face.


“What?” He whispers.


I drop his hand and grab his shoulders, reaching up and kissing him. His hands sit on my waist, pulling me close.


After we find the ball and head back to the picnic, Jim calls Dwight’s phone, telling him to send in the subs.





“You’re getting a ride home with Dwight?” Kelly says, scrunching up her face.


I nod, smiling.


“Okaaay,” she replies, pulling Ryan off to her car.


Dwight walks me over to his car and opens the door for me.



Dwight: Yes, I’ve successfully courted Alice. Not that it’s any of your business. It was my plan all along.


He looks at the camera very smug.


Dwight: Schrute’s always go after the beautiful, intelligent women with wide enough hips to bare their children. It was only a matter of time.


Kevin: They’re gonna bang (laughs)





Chapter 7 by undiscoverable words

Pt 7


Clip montage of Dwight and Alice going to and leaving from work together in Dwight’s car.


Alice: Yeah, Dwight and I have kind of been, um…


Dwight: I’ve simply provided Alice with a free place to stay while she searches for an apartment. I’d much rather her stay at Schrute Farms and help tend to the chickens than pay every night to stay in a low-quality hotel room.


Michael (whispers): Do you think they’re sleeping together? (laughs) That’s crazy! I have to tell somebody…


Pam: The office has engaged in a lot of gossip lately, which is one of the reasons Jim and I have put off telling anyone about my pregnancy…


“Excuse me, intern?” Dwight calls, summoning one of the three interns we’ve had with us the last month or so. “Could you get me and Alice beverages from the vending machine? Actually– just water for me.”


Phyllis: If Dwight and Alice are trying to hide the fact that they’re dating, they’re doing a terrible job…


“Thanks, Megan,” I say, accepting the soda she got for me. I raise the soda, pretending to clink it with Dwight’s water.


Dwight smiles at me before taking a sip and getting back to work.


Jim: Those two have been extra chummy lately… Ever since the picnic, I wonder what we missed… (glances at Pam)


Pam (to Jim): They’re obviously dating! It’s more obvious than when he started dating Angela…


Jim (to Pam): Hey, I didn’t know about that for the first, what? Year and a half?


Pam (nods): Year and a half.


“Hey, Alice! Wanna go to lunch?” Pam asks, standing readily at my desk.


“Sure!” I agree, shrugging and standing from my desk.


Pam and I go down the elevator and she offers to drive.


“I noticed you’ve been coming in and leaving with Dwight, so I thought it’d be best if I drove.” She comments with a chuckle.


“Oh, yeah, sure!”


We drive for a bit until she pulls in to an italian restaurant.


“So,” she starts, resting her elbows on the table and leaning close to me. “What’s up with you and Dwight?”


I can’t help glancing at the camera, unsure of how to respond.


“Uh…”


“Sorry, that was a bit forward. But really, you guys are like, dating, right?”


Alice: Dwight and I have put off defining what’s going on between us. I mean, he offered to let me stay in his huge farmhouse, so really we’re like roommates.


Clips play of the two acting friendlier than friends.


Alice: Yeah, we kissed at the picnic… and I stayed at his farm that night, but we didn’t, like, hook up…(sighs) I don’t know, I would like us to be a couple, but we’re not rushing anything right now. I guess we’re kind of friends with benefits? That also live together? See, this is why we haven’t defined it, it can’t be defined. Okay?


I can’t help chuckling awkwardly at her phrasing.


“Well, kind of?” Pam’s jaw drops.


“What? You have to tell him what you want. Especially since it’s Dwight. Like, did I ever tell you about beach day? I got brave and told Jim how I felt. Pretty soon after that we were dating.”


Pam grins, reliving the memories.


Dwight: I know the office suspects Alice and I are a couple, but it’s not that simple. We’re good friends who live together and have feelings for each other, but we have yet to act on those feelings. It’s simple, but also not very simple…


“Hey, Dwight?” Toby asks, approaching Dwight’s desk. “So, I’ve heard a lot around the office about you and Alice… You have to enclose that to HR, and there’s a form…”


Dwight scoffs.

“I didn’t know friendships needed disclosed to HR.” Dwight rolls his eyes, giving the camera a look.


Silence falls over the office. Jim stares at the camera, wide-eyed.


“Dwight…” Phyllis scolds.


Angela smiles at her desk.


Pam and I come back into the office, carrying leftovers.


“Thanks, Pam, that was nice.” I give her a smile and take a seat at my desk.


The camera catches Pam giving Jim a thumbs-up. The rest of the office sits awkwardly.


Alice: I think Pam is right. It’s been a few weeks since the picnic, and I think it’s time to tell Dwight how I feel and what I want.


Kelly: I feel so bad for Alice. I can’t imagine liking someone and thinking you’re dating, but turns out the guy sees it as something else…


Phyllis (shrugs): She could do a lot better than Dwight, she’s very pretty.


Andy (slowly grinning): Well, I guess things didn’t work out for her and the Schrute-ster. Time for the ole boner champ to swoop in and mend her beautiful, broken heart.


Angela(subtly smug): I guess there was nothing to worry about


“Alright everybody, we should give these two some space to talk things out and define their relationship. Everybody, conference room, now.” Michael announces, gesturing for the entire office to join him in the conference room.


He refuses to let me and Dwight in.


“Not you two, talk it out, bitches.” He closes the door in our faces.


I look at Dwight, confused, and shrug.


“What’s that about?” I ask, resting against the corner between Dwight and Jim’s desks.


“Oh, gosh, I don’t know…” Dwight tries, sitting in his chair and spinning from side to side, avoiding eye contact with me.


“C’mon, Dwight. You know I can tell when you’re lying. For such a smart guy you’re a terrible liar.”


“Okay,” he caves with a sigh. “So, the whole office thinks you and I are dating. I simply told them we’re just friends.”


I nod, avoiding his eyes.


“Right,” I choke out, continuously nodding.


A few tears fall right off my cheekbones, onto the floor.


“Hey,” Dwight says, grabbing my arms and lifting my head to meet his eyes. “Please don’t cry…” He pulls me into his chest and comforts me.


Somehow, being in Dwight’s arms makes me feel worse.


“Dwight?” I say, muffled against his shirt.


“Yes?”


I pull away from him slightly and wipe my face.


“I want to be more than friends…”


He stays silent, his mouth slightly hung open.


“Can I get something from my desk?” Stanley asks Michael as the entire office stands in the conference room.


“No, Stanley, they haven’t kissed yet, so–”


“Wouldn’t it have been more efficient if we asked them to come in here and we all stayed at our desks?” Phyllis asks, challenging Michael.


“Whatever, Phyllis. Y’know– God!”


“Michael, maybe we shouldn’t try to force them together?” Jim tries.


“Okay…” I say, leaving Dwight at his desk and sitting back in my chair, typing away on my computer to act busy.


The door to the conference room creaks oped and Michael pokes his head out. Dwight turns to look at Michael, still saying nothing. Michael gestures for everyone to leave the conference room and get back to work.


“Real smooth, Dwight.” Jim comments, patting Dwight on the shoulder.


“Can it, Jim.” Dwight snaps, finally saying something.


Pam comes up to my desk and pretends to look through the candy dish.


“So, what’d he say?” She whispers.


“Nothing.”


“Really? Nothing?”


I nod, not looking away from my computer. She stomps over to Dwight’s desk and stands expectantly, her arms folded across her chest.


“Dwight, can I speak with you in the break room?”


Dwight glances up at her, nervous. He nods without saying anything and follows her into the break room.


“What’s the matter with you, Dwight? This sweet, beautiful girl is into you and you shut her down? What the hell, Dwight?” Pam yells, sternly.


Dwight sighs.


“I… I know, Pam. I just– I froze. I didn’t know what to say, or what to do. The last woman I loved broke my heart in every way possible. I know it’s stupid, but I’m afraid to love again…”


“Oh… Well, Dwight, just tell her how you feel. I’m sure she’ll understand. Give it a shot.” Pam suggests, patting Dwight’s shoulder and walking out of the break room and back to her desk.


Pam: I… did not expect that from Dwight. Usually his feelings are very transparent, and very minimal…


“Michael, Alice and I are leaving early. I have to check on the horses.” Dwight announces gathering his things and leaving the office.


I quickly grab my coat and follow him out to the elevator.


“They’re gonna bang it out…” Michael mumbles, cackling at the end, and retreating to his office.


“Dwight!” I call, struggling to catch up to him in the parking lot. “Dwight!”


He stops, turns around, and waits for me to reach him.


“Dwi–”


He reaches down and grabs me by the waist, capturing my lips in his, holding me close. My hands float up to his neck and meet at the base of it. We continue to kiss, Dwight lifting me up and placing me on the hood of his car.


“I want that, too, Alice.”



Chapter 8 by undiscoverable words

Pt 8


The camera catches Alice collecting eggs from one of the chicken coops on Schrute Farms.


Alice: Yeah, I’ve been staying with Dwight, and he trusts me to tend to the hens in the morning before work. It’s actually a lot of fun caring for animals… Living out here on a secluded, wide-open space is so nice, too… Me and Dwight? Uh, yeah… (smiling) We’ve declared our feelings for one another… I still stay in my own room… (mumbles) most nights…


Dwight: It gets terribly hot in the summers. Sharing a bed would just be harmful to our health. Though, love-making is one way to stay physically active. (grins)


Alice (background): Dwight!


Dwight turns his attention to Alice, laughing.


“Dunder Mifflin, this is Alice,” I recite, answering the phone. Dwight looks over at me, offering a smile.


Pam: I think things are working out well between them. I’m so happy for them!


Jim (nods): Yeah, it’s nice to see Dwight happy again.


“Wow, Alice, you look especially tan today.” Michael observes, approaching my desk. “Really hot,” he adds making himself laugh.


The camera catches Dwight shooting daggers at Michael.


“Yeah, well, I’ve been getting a lot of sun recently, so.” I reply, brushing off Michael’s inappropriate comment, and focussing on my computer screen.


During a quick break, I head to the vending machine. I notice Dwight get up and follow me.


“I don’t like him saying things like that to you.”


I sigh, assessing my snack options as Dwight leans against a neighboring vending machine.


“Yeah, I don’t enjoy it either.” I agree.


“Maybe you should show less skin at the office.” Dwight suggests, immediately capturing all of my attention.


I raise an eyebrow at him.

“Dwight, Michael is going to make inappropriate comments towards me no matter how I dress at the office. It’s a staple of his personality.”


“Not true, when Pam wore glasses, he totally ignored her. As long as you make an effort to look less attractive he won’t say anything neither of us wants to hear.”


I exhale through my nose, turning all of my attention to Dwight.


“I know you mean well, but I’d rather you not leave it up to me to stop Michael’s obnoxious sexualization of the women in this office.”


I decide on a snack and punch in the code, waiting for the thud as it drops form the display.


“You’re right, I’m sorry. I just don’t like him thinking about you that way and saying those things.” Dwight admits, pulling me into an embrace and kissing my forehead.


I feel butterflies erupt in my stomach.


“Okay,” I say, putting my hair up and grabbing my snack. “I’ll find a cardigan.” I promise, kissing his cheek and leaving the break room.


Alice: I wouldn’t call it a fight. Dwight and I just see some things differently. Like, I know he idolizes Michael, whether he should or not. And, I’m sure he would know better than I would: if I dress differently at work Michael might leave me alone. Honestly, it’s worth a shot if It stops Michael’s openly lude and demeaning comments. (shrugs)


“I have some cardigans you can borrow, if you want.” Pam offers, coming up to my desk. “They might not fit me now that I’m pregnant, so…” She chuckles at the end, but I stop, staring at her with my mouth open.


“You’re pregnant?” I whisper.


Her face changes with realization.


“... Yeah! But don’t tell anyone, okay? Jim and I are waiting to tell everybody.”


I nod, smiling brightly.


“Of course!”


“I can bring those cardigans in tomorrow,” she offers, circling back.


“That’d be great. Thanks!

Alice: I think Pam and I are really starting to become good friends. It’s nice, having another girl to talk to in the office.


Pam: The cat’s out of the bag. I let it slip to Alice that I’m pregnant, but I don’t think she’ll go around telling anyone– not even Dwight.

 

A few days after Jim and Pam decide to tell everyone about their baby, Michael gathers everyone together in the office.


“Alright, everybody! I have an announcement to make. Jimbo will be working with me as co-manager of this branch. He will handle all of the day-to-day issues you may have, while I will handle all of the ultra-important bid-picture stuff!” Michael says, smiling big.


Jim stands bashfully, smiling at the rest of us. I catch Dwight stare off with a vacant look. Everyone goes back to work and Dwight stands abruptly, taking quick strides to the conference room. He shuts the door and moments later the entire office can hear him scream.


“Oh, no…” I whisper to myself, hurrying to the conference room.


I open the door without knocking. Dwight spins around quickly and relaxes slightly when he sees me. I shut the door to the conference room and sit next to him.


“That should be me!” He yells, head in his hands. “I’ve cared for this company and this branch specifically for years! And I’ve been top salesman multiple consecutive years…”


“Hey,” I try, taking his hands in mine. “I’m sure there was a lot more behind the scenes that went into giving Jim the job. I’m sure Michael knows how valuable you are to this company, he has to know.”


Dwight nods, not saying anything.


“Maybe he suggested it to David because Jim and Pam are about to be married, and have a baby on the way. Milestones like that cost a lot of money, and from what I’ve heard, Pam isn’t the best salesperson since she’s so new to it.”


Dwight scoffs, “yeah.”


A look crosses his face.


“Let’s have a baby!” He whispers, kissing my cheek.


“Wh- Dwight!”


My face heats up profusely, and I sit dumbfounded, not knowing what to say.


“Come on! It was bound to happen anyways right? And we already live together…”


“We- I… Um…” I stutter, standing abruptly and leaving the conference room.


Some heads turn as I grab my things and leave the office. Jim, Pam, Phyllis, and Andy are in the elevator when I get on.


“Hey, Alice! Where’s Dwight?” Pam asks.


“What, nothing, I don’t know.” I spew, still reeling from Dwight’s words.


It starts getting harder to breathe, my chest heaving.


“Woah, hey, are you okay?” Jim asks.


“Everyone give her space!” Andy demands, pushing everyone farther away from me.


By the time the elevator stops in the lobby, I’m still struggling to breathe. Pam and Jim each take one of my hands and lead me outside to the bench by the door.


“Here, maybe you just need some air.” Jim says, helping me sit.


“What happened?” Pam tries, sitting down next to me.


“I... don’t know…” I try taking deep breaths to calm down. “He was upset… and I went in to talk to him…”


Dwight walks out of the building, looking confused.


“Dwight, what did you do to Alice?” Jim asks sternly, clearly concerned.


“Dwight, did you…?” Pam asks, skeptical.


“No!”


“No…” Dwight and I say in unison.


“Maybe we should let them talk it out.” Jim suggests, gesturing for the others to walk away and head to their cars.


I nod and wave goodbye to Jim and Pam. Dwight takes a seat next to me on the bench and grabs my hands the way I had earlier.


“I’m sorry to have upset you,” he says, trying to get me to look at him.


“I do want kids one day, Dwight. But not within the first year I’m on my own, and not before we get married, and not before we’ve even said ‘I love you’, or… or been together for at least a year.”


I keep my gaze locked on a patch of grass swaying with the breeze.


“I understand, those are all very reasonable conditions. I’m just upset about Jim being promoted. I’m sorry,” He admits.


I place my hands under his jaw and pull him into a kiss.


“If you propose to me because Jim upsets you, I will say no, and tell everyone.” I warn, making a joke.


He grins at me and takes my hand, leading me to his car.


“I will expect nothing less,” he agees.


Before breaking off to go to the passenger’s side of the car, I reach up and pull him into another kiss. His hands rest at my waist.


“Let’s go home,” I whisper, kissing him again before walking over to my side and getting into the car.


Home. I’ve never called his farm that before, but it is starting to feel like home.


 


Chapter 9 by undiscoverable words

Pt 9


Alice: So, Jim’s been co-manager with Michael for some time now… Dwight’s not taking it very well…


I watch Dwight walk back and forth between Michael’s office and Jim’s office. Pam looks over at me, trying not to laugh. I roll my eyes, also laughing.


Alice: I’m still allowed to find Jim’s pranks funny, right?


“So, you’re coming with Dwight to the wedding, right?” Pam asks as we sit in the break room for lunch.


“Of course! I wouldn’t miss it!” I nod, then lean in to whisper. “I know you’re looking for money as a gift. Dwight’s really excited to get you this gift he found, but I’ll convince him to also write you a check.” I assure, making Pam smile brightly.


Alice: I’d write them a check myself, but it turns out transferring calls and managing Michael’s schedule of doing nothing only pays so much… (mumbles) Not very much…


Pam (beaming): Alice is awesome, I’m so glad she started working here. If I’d met her sooner I’d probably have made her a bridesmaid… Don’t tell Kelly…


“What about these people, Jim?” We hear Dwight yell from his desk.


Pam and I rush out to see what Jim and Dwight are arguing about now. The rest of the office joins in the yelling, blaming Jim for not getting raises. Pam and I share a worried look and retreat back to the break room.


After lunch, I pull Dwight aside just as he’s about to go into the conference room where Jim and Michael have been working all day.


“Hey, what’re you up to?” I ask, raising an eyebrow.


“Oh, nothing, Alice. I’m just preventing a disservice.” He replies, trying to walk away.


“Dwight! Can’t you just let Michael and Jim do their jobs?”


He sighs.


“But Jim is a terrible manager, and I’m just trying to prove that he doesn’t deserve his promotion.” Dwight admits, trying to justify his actions.


“They’re getting married soon, can’t this wait?” I try, hoping I’ll convince him to step down from his feud with Jim.


He shifts on his feet, looking between me and the conference room.


“Besides, he said you’ll be getting a raise, right? So maybe it’s best to let this pass.” I continue, hopelessly.


Alice: Oh, I know he’s still going to intervene, but it’s worth a shot right?


“Aren’t you and Jim friends? Remember when you defended him against Roy? That’s something a good friend would do.”


“False, I was doing what was right for the good of the office, like I am now.” Dwight argues, leaving me and entering the conference room.


“Thank you,” Pam whispers as I pass her on the way to my desk.


After another round of commotion, I walk over to Dwight’s desk, leaning against the edge.


“Remembering my first day here got me thinking. Today’s been a rough day, maybe we could go back to Poor Richards?”


Dwight glances up from his computer to look at me.


“Hm, maybe. If you’d like to…”


Dwight: I don’t believe in drinking to relieve stress. Besides, Alice is a sloppy drunk.


“Well, if you don’t want to we can just go home. Whatever will help you de-stress.” I offer, kissing his cheek and walking back to my desk.


The camera catches Dwight watching her walk away, and then smirking directly at the camera.


Dwight: I was very lucky to win the affections of an attractive, young, smart, kind girl…


Andy: Yeah, it’s been hard to watch Dwight and Alice love it up around the office… Last relationship I had was ruined by Dwight Schrute himself… But I’m happy for them, really…


Kelly: They’re so cute! I wish me and Ryan had a relationship that solid… I can’t believe I’m jealous of Dwight…


Michael: Everyday… I wish everyday that I’d never left this company. Then I would have met Alice first. No question she’d be wooed by my charm… And my magic tricks… Ah, well…


Michael does a basic magic trick incorrectly, and the camera zooms outside of his office window to catch Dwight and Alice walking to their car, hand-in-hand.



During the drive back to Schrute Farms, I groan in frustration. Dwight looks over at me briefly.


“What’s the matter?” He asks.


I say nothing for a few minutes.


Alice: I know exactly what Dwight needs to de-stress…


“I just wish there was somewhere... at the office... where we could…” I admit, playing with my hands, face burning, refusing to meet his eyes.


He stops the car on one of the dirt roads leading to the farm. He unbuckles his seatbelt, and then mine, pulling me over to his side of the car. He starts to kiss me, lowering his seat.


Niagara by undiscoverable words

Pt 10


Pam (excited): This weekend is mine and Jim’s wedding… It’s going to be amazing, even if things go wrong along the way, because I’m marrying the love of my life.


I watch Dwight go into Michael’s office, pretending to have work to do.


Alice: Ever since Jim got promoted, a lot of his calls go straight to his office. Michael still likes his calls to come through me first…


While I’m on  break, Dwight comes into the kitchen and rests against the counter.


“So…” he starts, watching me fix myself a cup of coffee. “Michael has asked me to be his wingman this weekend while we’re in Niagara. That means we’ll be at the bar, talking to eligible women.”


“That means we’ll barely get to spend time together because Michael put you in charge of getting him laid.” I grumble, stirring milk into my coffee.


“No, it’s not like that. Michael just worries that you joining me at the bar will make him look inadequate. I’d love nothing more than to spend the weekend with you, but I have to demonstrate my loyalty to Michael, especially now.”


Dwight tries to pull me into his arms. I let him, but move my face away when he goes to kiss me. Then walk out of the kitchen, and back to my desk, leaving Dwight alone.


“Hey Boner Champ,” I say, walking over to Andy’s desk. “You throwing a rager in Niagara?”


“Uhhh, yeah! Totally…” Andy agrees, awkwardly staring at me too long.


“Great! I’ll be there.” I say before making way to my desk.


“What was that?” Pam asks in a whisper.


“Dwight’s on Michael duty, so I’m going to get wasted this weekend.”


I hear Meredith cheer from her desk, shaking her fist in the air at the news. I hold back laughter, taking a sip of my coffee and waiting for phone calls that won’t come through.


“Are you mad at me, Al?” Dwight asks as we drive back to Schrute Farms at the end of the day.


“Oh, no, it’s fine. I love going to destination weddings and hanging out with all of the other singles.” I reply, dripping with sarcasm.

“You know it’s not like that, Alice. I can’t deny Michael this opportunity.” I shrug, turning my attention to whatever passes by outside my window.


“Fine, but I’m stealing your wolf shirt to sleep in.”


The next morning, we head to Niagara. After checking in, Michael comes up to us asking to bunk in our room.


“Please,” I mumble, rolling my eyes as Michael tries to swindle Dwight into giving him our room. “No, Michael. The only people staying in our room will be me and Dwight. I deserve at least that much time with him this weekend, don’t you think?”


“Okay, gross. I just need somewhere to sleep–”


“Well, maybe Dwight will find a sorry girl to sleep with you and then you’ll have somewhere to stay.” I say, grabbing Dwight’s hand and guiding him to the elevators to find our room.


“That was a little harsh,” Dwight whispers.


“I’m sorry, I’m just mad.” I sigh, stepping into the elevator.


At the rehearsal dinner, Jim’s beautiful toast to Pam had me and Andy weeping. I offer Andy a tissue just as Jim lets it slip that Pam is pregnant, and Michael steps in, making everything worse.


Within the next hour, I hear Andy knocking at our door. I groan, not bothering to answer it.


“Can’t you stay in tonight?” I try, walking over to Dwight and sitting in his lap.


I wrap my arms around his neck and kiss him. He grabs my waist and holds me firmly on his lap, kissing me back.


Andy lets himself in, interrupting me and Dwight.


“Ah! God, I’m so sorry.” Andy says, awkwardly standing at the door.


“You should be, idiot.” Dwight grumbles kissing my lips and my neck once before lifting me off of his lap.


I giggle, leaving the room with Andy, and I feel Dwight slap my ass.


“I thought he was busy with Michael all weekend?” Andy asks as we walk towards the elevator.


“Yeah, well…” I shrug with a slight grin.


When Andy and I get to his room I find Kelly, Meredith, Ryan, Kevin, and Oscar. Some music is playing, and a few are dancing.

“Heck of a party…” I joke, pouring myself a drink.


“Not everyone’s shown up yet.” Andy defends.


Two hours and several drinks later, I start to drunk-dial Dwight.


“Hello? Alice? Are you alright?”


“Ooooh is that Alice? Have her come out, act like she’s interested in me, get the ball rolling–”


“No, Michael. Alice? Hello?”


I start giggling.


“Hey, Dwight! I miss you… Your voice is so nice…” I start to slur, leaning against the wall to keep myself up.


“Are you drunk, Alice? Maybe you should go back to our room and go to bed–”


“Hm?... g’night, I love you... Get Michael laid!”


I hang up the phone and heed his advice, heading back to our room. Once I get there I pull off my clothes, slip into his t-shirt, and fall fast asleep, curled up in bed. I wake up in the morning with a pounding headache, and I can hear the shower running. On the bedside table a see a glass of water and some medication to help my hangover. I sit up, down the pills and the water, and lay in bed waiting for Dwight to get out of the shower.


“Good morning, sleepy head.” He greets, grinning, a towel around his waist.


“Good morning,” I smile back, sitting up slightly. “How late was I out?”


Dwight chuckles to himself.


“Not late at all. I came back around 11 and you were already in bed.”


He has a dreamy look on his face, and goes in to kiss me.


“We should get some breakfast.” He adds, starting to get dressed.


“But I’m so cozy…” I protest, curling up into a ball.


The scent from his t-shirt hits me and I relish in the familiar, comforting smell.


“C’mon, Al, it’ll help your hangover.” He persuades, grabbing my hands and pulling me out of bed.


He looks down at me with a grin, kissing my forehead.


Dwight (smiling proudly): Yes, Alice said she loves me during a drunk phone call… I just wish it would’ve been left as a message so that I could have it…


Everyone stands around, waiting in the church for some time. Dwight puts his gift for Pam and Jim on the table and walks over to me. I wrap my arms around his neck and kiss him.


“You look really good, Dwight.” I whisper. “They’re already 25 minutes late, do you think we have time…” Dwight looks down at me with a mischievous grin, leading me out of the church.


Alice: Wow, one hour and they’re still not here? What?


The camera zooms in on Alice to get a clear view of a hickey at the top of her neck.


Alice (blushing): Uh, yeah, we uh…


Jim and Pam come through the chapel, hand-in-hand, grinning.


Alice (walking away): What’s up with Jim’s tie?  


Chapter 11 by undiscoverable words

Pt 11.


Alice: Things are finally starting to feel normal around here. With Jim and Pam gone it got weird around here, and Dwight got power hungry. He’s tried everything I can think of to get Jim demoted back to salesman. I’ve tried to talk him out of it, but he’s not easily swayed.


Dwight: Oh, I have a plan


Dwight shows the cameras the mallard and the pen, both bugged with microphones to record things inside Jim’s office. The cameras pan to catch Dwight talking with Jim and placing the bugs. Dwight looks back, grinning at the cameras.


“What are you up to?” I challenge, watching Dwight sit back at his desk.


“Oh, me? Nothing…” Dwight lies, still grinning.


While on my break, I hear yelling from the kitchen:


“I could give a f–– about your happiness, stop dating my mother!” I peer in, worried for Pam, and who looks to be Michael.


“Oh, my god…”


The cameras follow me into the kitchen, and I pretend to not hear anything, fixing myself coffee and looking for a snack. Pam storms out and Michael looks like a hurt puppy. I try to ignore his mumbling before he starts to head back to his office.


Almost immediately, I leave the kitchen and head to Pam’s desk.


“Hey,” I whisper.


The cameras catch Dwight listening in.


“I heard something between you and Michael, are you okay?”


Pam scoffs, “absolutely not.”


She gets up and leaves the office, and Jim quickly follows after her. Dwight looks between me and the cameras and I go back to my desk. In between transferring calls and doodling on post-it notes, I catch the drama going down between Jim, Pam, and Michael.


“What’s going on?” Dwight asks me, leaning over my desk.


“I’m surprised you don’t know– you’re Michael’s wingman.”


“I haven’t gotten anything from the bug…” Dwight mumbles, but I catch it.


“What bug?”


“There’s no bug, Al. It’s a figure of speech.” He laughs nervously before walking away.


I find something in Jim’s office that has a recording device attached, and decide to help him out.


“Hey, Kelly! I saw this cool duck and thought it would look adorable on your desk!”


“Oh, my god, Alice! I love it! Super cute! Thank you so much! You know Ryan loves ducks? He’ll say he prefers flightless birds, but he loves ducks!”


At 5 o’clock, I head down to the parking lot to find Dwight washing Jim’s car.


“Dwight, what’s going on? I want to go home!”


He turns around, ashamed, spraying the car with a hose.


“I bugged Jim’s office, so he’s making me wash his car…”


“I know, I just want you to feel bad about it.” I tease him, watching him rinse the suds off of their windows.


“How–”


“You’re a terrible liar, Dwight. I’ll be in the car.”



. . .



“I’m ashamed of my small nose.” Dwight admits, looking around the room clearly embarrassed.


I grab his hand and kiss his face quickly.


“I like your nose,” I whisper.


Angela scoffs and rolls her eyes. Michael writes ‘nose too small’ on the white board.


The rest of the day goes by slightly hostile with everyone making fun of each other and Michael in particular. It drags on without having Pam around but I understand that she needs to raise her sales.


Alice: Pam is like my best friend here at the office, of course I want her to succeed! It just gets super boring around here. Plus, I feel bad that she has to spend the day with Andy…


Pam and Jim come in the next morning looking happier than I’ve seen them since they came back from their honeymoon.


Pam: Today is my mom’s birthday, and Michael is coming to lunch with us! I’m pretty nervous…


Jim: But I’ve been doing my best to keep her calm. I made her breakfast in bed this morning–


Pam: It was great, I’m just hoping this all goes smoothly. Michael can be a bit much


“Good luck!” I say as the the two pairs walk out the door.


Dwight walks up to my desk and leans over the top nearly knocking over the candy dish.


“Remember when you said you wished the office had… a place?” He whispers.


The cameras are on us, catching everything.


“Uh… Yes?” I say, trying to brush it off.


I don’t need the cameras knowing this much about us, or catching anything I don’t want them to.


I glance towards the coat rack, avoiding Dwight’s eye.


“Well, I know a place. Meet me in the warehouse in five minutes.” He pecks my lips and walks back to his desk, giving the cameras a smug look.


Alice: Look, I may have mentioned it one night a while back… I don’t actually want to do anything at the office… Do you guys know where this place is? Are you going to, like, film stuff? That has to be illegal… Wait, how does Dwight know about this place?


I meet Dwight where he instructed strictly to ask him about it. He greets me with a grin and pulls me in a supply room in the warehouse. He starts kissing my face and neck, holding me close by my hips.


“Dwight?”


“Yes?”


“How do you know about this?”


He freezes.


“Dwight?” I repeat.


He stays silent, obviously not wanting to tell me. I can tell he wants to lie, but he knows I can tell when he’s lying.


“I’ve been here before,” he explains vaguely and curtly before reattaching his lips to my neck.


I refuse to let this go, and he notices my lack of affection.


“C’mon, Al, don’t you ever get bored and want to… find something entertaining?”


I cross my arms to create space between us, and he sighs.


“I… Used to come down here…”


“Oh, my god, with Angela?”


He nods, not looking at me.


“That’s disgusting Dwight. I’m not just some office shag. If that’s what you thought this was…” I can’t help the tears brimming in my eyes.


I love Dwight. I’ve never told him, but that’s how I feel. And if he feels significantly less for me, then this isn’t what I thought it was.


“No, no, no, Al…” Dwight holds me by my shoulders, then moves his hands up to wipe my tears. “I just thought… I don’t know. I’m sorry you took it that way, that’s not at all what I intended.”


“We’re so much more than that to me, Dwight.”


“I know,” he whispers, pulling me to his chest  and kissing the top of my head.


This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=5592