Cliche by Wendy Blue
Past Featured StorySummary: A series of vignettes centered around clichés, but with a JAM spin.

Categories: Jim and Pam, Future Characters: Ensemble
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: Yes Word count: 10899 Read: 41885 Published: May 26, 2007 Updated: July 22, 2007
Story Notes:
This was inspired by Pam's comment in the finale: "I just want him to be happy." These take place in the future, set a few months after The Job. Enjoy!

1. "My Way or the Highway" by Wendy Blue

2. The Blind Leading the Blind by Wendy Blue

3. A Matter of Life and Death by Wendy Blue

4. I Don't Think We're in Kansas Anymore by Wendy Blue

5. Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend by Wendy Blue

6. You Complete Me by Wendy Blue

7. Back to the Drawing Board by Wendy Blue

8. Another Notch in Your Belt by Wendy Blue

9. The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread by Wendy Blue

"My Way or the Highway" by Wendy Blue
Author's Notes:

This story would not even exist without the amazing help and support of Becky215 and Cousin Mose. You guys are not only amazing betas, but amazing friends. Muchos gracias to you both :)

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

“You’re lost.”

“Am not.”

“Hey, that guy looks trustworthy.”

“No.”

“Please, Pam, I’m a guy and I’m begging you to ask for directions.”

“I know how to get there, thank you very much.” Her fingers clenched on the steering wheel, making her knuckles seem to glow white in the darkness of her tiny Yaris.

“Really? Because this is the third time we’ve passed that Kmart so…”

"“I know where I’m going!” she yelled. Jim tensed. He knew how badly she wanted this night to go well. Finally, after years of waiting, he was going to formally meet her parents for the first time. What would normally be a happy occasion was marred by the fact they were not going to her childhood home; they were going to the new house her parents had just purchased. It was smaller and newer, and from what Pam gathered, it looked just like every other house on the block. He knew it was hard for her to go to a place that had never been her home and never would be."

“Okay,” he said slowly. “Just…let’s pull over, okay?”

She refused to look at him, but relented as she let out a frustrated sigh and pulled onto a residential street.

“This isn’t easy. I understand—“

“No, you don’t,” she snapped. “You have the perfect house, with the perfect family, with the dog that likes everyone except me. You have brothers and sisters who love you and nieces and nephews who love you more. You have a tire swing in the front yard and floors that creak even when you try to tiptoe—which I learned the hard way.” Even in her anger, she gave a small laugh at the memory.

“And I used to have that, too. An old house with all these quirks and memories, and now it’s just…gone.” She breathed the last word, and the heartbreaking sight of her head hung low was enough to give Jim the courage to reach out and take her hand.

“It’s true, you don’t live in the house anymore. But you did at one time, since you can remember in fact. Those new people that live there now? They’re going to have to live there for years and years to create the same amount of memories that your family made. And by then, your grandfather will be haunting them…or something,” he smirked at his bizarre attempt at comfort. But it got a genuine smile out of Pam, and she squeezed his hand.

“Thank you. You’re awkward, but thank you.” She winked at him and he felt his whole body relax.

“I’m sorry I snapped,” she whispered. “I’m just…stupid Mapquest.”

“It’s fine. Look, I had a friend who used to live in this area, I’m pretty sure I can get us back on the right road.”

“No, I’m determined to do this,” she clamped her hands on the steering wheel, fiercely looking at the street ahead of her.

“Well, it’s either my way, or the highway and I know how much you hate these interstates.”

Pam looked over at him, eyebrows raised in feigned shock. “Your way or the highway? Planning on getting rid of me?”

“That’s not what I meant and you know it,” he laughed, rolling his eyes at his verbal slip up.

“It’s a good thing I—“ she stopped short, and her eyes went wide as the next word lay on her lips, waiting to be spoken.

He waited. He had waited for so long to hear her say what he knew she felt. But if there was one thing Jim knew about her, it was that she needed time. And luckily, he had a lot of patience.

“Love you.” And there it was. Pam bit her lip, like she always did when nervous, and it made him love her even more that she would actually be worried that, after all they’d been through, he wouldn’t reciprocate.

“I love you, too,” he pressed her hand to his lips, a cliché gesture but one that Pam found utterly adorable.

“Alright, Beesly,” he said, stroking her wrist with his thumb. “Let’s hit the road. Which way are you taking us?”

Pam twisted her mouth upward, pretending to heavily weigh her options. After a moment, she smiled and gave a nod of her head.

“Your way.”


End Notes:
Like it? Love it? Hate it? Reviews are the only way to let me know!
The Blind Leading the Blind by Wendy Blue
Author's Notes:
I'm working on Chapter 3 as we speak, but here's something to keep you guys going until then.  As always, 1,000 Schrute Bucks and an extra five minutes for lunch to Becky215 and Cousin Mose for their help and all around awesomeness.

It was Friday night, and the first Friday night since they’d started dating that Jim and Pam did not have a date.  Pam had worried (foolishly in Jim’s opinion) that he would get sick of her, and though he ardently protested, she had insisted that they take this particular Friday night to themselves.

He’d never said no to her in the past, but he’d always respected her wishes.  And it was for this reason why Jim found himself alone in his apartment drinking cheap beer and watching the finale of a reality show he had never once watched.  He tried to remember back to his bachelor life, before Pam, and if it had been this pathetic.  Sure there were more parties, more adventures, more mornings where he had a hard time remembering the night before, but in the end, it had been just as meaningless as watching some frat boy win a million dollars just for being on TV.

As the credits rolled, the cordless phone ringing on the coffee table startled Jim, rattling his plate of half-eaten pizza.

“Hello?”

“Halpert.  Turn off the television and come out.”

“Mark, I know you keep hoping I answer differently, but I’m into women.”

“Shut up.  Seriously, Cooper’s, now,” Mark ordered, the noise of the bar crowding his words.

Jim sighed and wondered where his desire to go out went, and more importantly, why he didn’t so much care that it was gone.

“Normally, I would allure you with the promise of inebriated women, but dumb ol’ Pam had to ruin that one,” Mark jeered with amusement.

Jim smirked.  “Sorry, buddy.  Look at it this way, you’ll have a better success rate with me not there.”

“I liked you better when you were single and depressed.”

“Night, Mark.” Jim hung up the phone and lazily grabbed the remote to find something to occupy another hour of his night.  

He was halfway through an episode of "The Crocodile Hunter", lamenting the loss of Steve Irwin when the phone rang again.

“Mark, I don’t care how many drunk girls are with you, I’m not coming.”

“Jim?” It was a small voice, practically whimpering, and he bolted upright at the sound of it.

“Pam? What’s wrong?  Look, what I said, I thought it was Mark, I have no interest in drunk girls—“

“No, it’s fine, I don’t—can you come over?”

Jim smiled.  “Miss me already, huh?”

“Yes, well, no—I mean, I was watching ‘It’ and the power went out and I know it sounds dumb but I can’t be alone right now.”

Jim needed no more convincing.  “I’m on my way.”

xxx

She answered the door clutching the phone in one hand and her large comforter huddled around her in the other.

“Thank you,” Pam whispered, pulling him through her doorway and into a tight embrace.

He smiled and kissed the top of her head.  “Believe me, I would have been here sooner, but all those damn stop signs and red-lights…I’m complaining to the city.”

Jim surveyed the room and understood why Pam had been so scared.  The small apartment was completely void of light, except for the one slip of a white beam coming from the streetlamp outside.  

“Don’t you own candles or something?”

“Sorry, I gave up my seduction routine when we started dating.”

“Good to know,” he poked her gently in the ribs.  “Come on, lead the way to a flashlight.”

“It’s in the hall closet,” she said, slipping her hands down his arms to meet his and stepped slowly through the darkness.

The only sound between them for a few minutes was steady breathing and the soft padding of feet on the carpet.  Jim gave her hands reassuring squeezes every few moments, reminding her that he was there and had no intention of leaving.

Then suddenly, he felt a tug at her comforter and realized he had stepped on it as she continued to move.  Pam let out a squeal as she fell to the floor, Jim following closely behind.

They landed next to each other, groaning at the intensity of their fall when Jim began to laugh and soon they were both in hysterics, splayed out on the floor next to each other.

“The blind leading the blind,” Pam mused.

“That’s the best you can come up with?  I’m disappointed in you, Beesly.”

“Hey, I can’t be clever, I’ve sustained a serious head injury,” she said between giggles.  

“Oh, have you?”  Jim’s hands followed her curls upward and began to gently stroke her neck.

Pam let out a content sigh, murmuring “Mhmm.”

“Well you are in luck then.  I majored in How to Treat Serious Head Injuries.”

“I thought it was Public Speaking.”

“I was a double-major,” he inched his face closer to hers, following the sweet puffs of air from her breath.

“Lucky me,” she whispered as his lips finally found hers, ceasing the ache in her head and replacing it with delightful dizziness.

They stayed wrapped in the embrace for what seemed like hours, and as Jim’s eyes adjusted to the light, he could see the soft curves of her face come into focus.  He smiled and couldn’t remember the last time things seemed so clear.



End Notes:
I know asking for reviews is really cliche, but just humor me please :)
A Matter of Life and Death by Wendy Blue
Author's Notes:
Chapter 4 is in the works, folks!  For now, enjoy another fluffy cliche :)  Thanks to Becky215 for making sure this chapter was actually coherent.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

“This is a terrible movie,” Jim muttered, shaking his head.

“Then why are you turning the volume up,” Pam countered with a laugh.

“Because if Brad Pitt is going to deliver bad lines, I want to hear them.”

In searching for background noise while they played the Game of Life, Jim had stumbled upon “Meet Joe Black” on cable.  Pam tried to reach for the remote, but Jim had shooed her hand away, insisting that he wanted to give it a chance.  They were a little less than an hour into the movie when Jim lost interest.

“So he’s supposed to be the devil?”

“Death.  There’s a difference.”

“And he happens to be trailing the dad of the girl he met in the diner while he was still alive?  That’s convenient.”

“I tried to tell you,” Pam teased in a singsong voice.

“Just spin the wheel, Beesly, you have yet to buy a house.”

Pam rolled her eyes, and spun the flimsy plastic wheel.  She moved her green car, with a pink and blue peg filling the front two seats, five spaces. 

“Yes! Finally!  Deal me the house cards,” she ordered, wiggling her fingers in front of her as she waited to make her choice.

Jim splayed the remaining cards out in front of her, and rolled his eyes as she took serious time to consider which one to pick.

“The cost of living is increasing by the second, Pam.  Let’s pick up the pace.”

“Excuse me for not wanting to get stuck with the split-level disaster like someone I know.”  She waved her hand over the cards once more before carefully taking one.  No sooner had she looked at her choice before she pumped her arms in the air and cheered.

“Yes! Tudor mansion!  In your face!” Pam did a small victory dance while grinning madly.

“First of all, never say ‘in your face’ again.  Second of all, that is completely unfair.”

“And you scoffed at my system,” she pretended to scold.  “Don’t worry, as you can see I have a few dozen guest rooms to spare at Casa de Beesly, and you’re more than welcome anytime.”

“Forget that, I’m just going to move in.”  Jim pretended to pout, but as the joke left his lips, his face lost any sign of amusement.  It was quickly replenished with a flush of red to his cheeks, and he avoided her eyes as he toyed with a loose thread in the carpet.

“Something wrong?”  Pam asked, trying to force the corners of her mouth to stop curling upward.

“Your turn,” he mumbled, still not looking at her.

“No, I just had my turn.  And you shouldn’t be embarrassed.  Who wouldn’t want to stay in this fine piece of architecture?”  Pam held up her card with pride, hoping humor would save the situation.  Instead, Jim got up hastily and moved toward the kitchen.

“Do you want anything?”

“Jim—“ Pam started.

“I’ve got more beer, soda…a hole I can crawl into,” he said through his teeth, sticking his head in the refrigerator, searching for beverages and trying to alleviate the increasing heat rushing to his cheeks.

Pam abandoned the game and leaned against the kitchen counter behind him, arms folded as she surveyed the nervous wreck he had become.

“Talk to me,” she said gently.

He shut the fridge door and grudgingly turned around to face her.

“I’m sorry.”

“For what, exactly?” 

“For—I didn’t mean to spring that on you,” he said, resting his head against the freezer.

“Jim, it’s a board game.  I didn’t read anything into it,” Pam said gently, moving closer to him and placing a hand on his forearm.

“I know…and maybe that’s why I got weird.” He looked into her eyes now, searching for any fear or doubt.  Instead he just saw confusion accompanied with the familiar look of love that was always undeniably present whenever Pam looked at him.

“What do you mean?” she asked, her eyebrows knit together, creating three subtle creases of worry in her forehead.

Jim shook his head.  “It doesn’t matter.”

“Of course it does.  In fact,” she said with a sly grin, slipping her arms around his waist.  “It’s a matter of 'Life' and death.”

“Literally,” Jim joked, nodding toward the abandoned movie and game.

“Come on,” she prodded, rubbing his back in encouragement.

“I don’t want to have a guest room in the Tudor mansion.”

 “Okay…” Pam said slowly, trying to dissect what he was trying to say.

Jim laughed at how ridiculous the conversation had turned.  “What I mean is…I think we should live together.”

Pam’s jaw dropped a bit as she let out a small gasp. 

“Are you—are you serious?”

“Is that okay?” He had a tone to his voice that reminded Pam of a little boy asking for permission.

“I just had no idea that you were even thinking about that,” Pam said in bewilderment. 

Jim noted that she still had not answered his question, but still pressed on.  “I know it probably seems sudden, but to be honest, I’ve been thinking about this for awhile.  It’s just that my place doesn’t feel like home…unless you’re there.”  The blush crept in again as he an almost apologetic smirk accompanied with a shrug.

Pam fought hard to keep the tears forming at bay, but struggled as he looked at her with so much hope and anticipation.

“Oh right, yes!”  Pam laughed and threw her hands up.  “I was saying ‘yes’ so many times in my head I already thought I said it out loud.”  She moved her hands up to cradle the sides of his face.

“Yes.”  She kissed him as a seal to her response and when they broke apart, Jim grinned and spun her around the kitchen.  When they landed, they looked over to the TV, where Joe and the billionaire’s daughter were making “good use” of the chaise lounge by the pool.

Jim’s eyes went wide. 

“Whoa.”

Pam giggled. “I know.”

“So we’re definitely getting one of those chair-couch thingies for our place.”

Pam’s heart fluttered at the thought of their “place.”

“It’s called a ‘chaise lounge’ and where exactly would we put it.”

Jim shrugged.  “By the pool of course.”

“Of course.  You see swimming pools in all the traditional Pennsylvanian homes.”

“Well, it’d be indoor.”

“Did you win the lottery and not tell me?” Pam teased.

Jim laughed but then turned his expression more serious and determined.

“Our house can have whatever you want, if it makes you happy.”

Pam beamed.  “Will it have you?”

“That’s a given,” he returned her smile with one of his own and a small kiss on her nose.

“Then I’ll be happy.”

 

End Notes:
The traditional gifts to on Memorial Day are reviews, in case you weren't aware ;)
I Don't Think We're in Kansas Anymore by Wendy Blue
Author's Notes:

I struggled a bit with this chapter, and the final product would not even be in existence without the help of Cousin Mose and Becky215.  You guys rock harder than Scrantonicity :)

 Enjoy!

“I have two rules.”

“Let’s hear them,” Jim smiled.

“One: nothing, and I mean nothing, from the ‘80s.” Pam held up her index finger, her face stern.

“Fair enough.”

“Two:  You even mention the words ‘The Rose,’ and this relationship is over.”

“But…” Jim feigned indignation.  “But I love Bette Midler!”

“Jim,” Pam pointed her finger further out at him as a warning.

“Oh come on, Beesly, you know I’m kidding.  And those rules are fair enough, so let’s get to pickin’.”

The Saturday afternoon sun spilled into their living room, still bare save for an armchair that they were forcing to fit two as Pam nestled in his lap, her iPod shared between them.

“Tell me again why we’re not just going with the song from the parking lot?” Jim asked, remembering the evening where another iPod was used in a very similar way as it was now.

“Because as nice as that night was, it doesn’t take away from the fact that I was with Roy and the whole time I was feeling guilty for being so close to you.”

Jim frowned.  “The whole time?”

“Well…not the whole time.  At one point I just wanted take you right there in the parking lot,” Pam winked.

“All right then,” Jim cleared his throat.  “We’ll get back to that interesting fact later.  For now, I want to hear some of the contenders,” Jim did his best Marlon Brando impression.

“Okay, so this one is called ‘All For You’,” Pam declared, selecting the song and turning the volume up.

It’s hard to say what it is I see in you
Wonder if I’ll always be with you
Words can’t say and I can’t do
Enough to prove it’s all for you


They bobbed their heads to the beat, and finally Jim shrugged.

“Not bad, it sure is catchy.”

Pam frowned.  “Yeah, but the lyrics aren’t quite right.  As far as I’m concerned, I’m not wondering if I’ll always be with you.  I think it’s a pretty sure thing.”

Jim kissed her cheek.  “You got that right.  What else is there?”

“Next up,” Pam said in her best DJ voice.  “We have the Goo Goo Dolls with ‘Let Love In.’”

And you’re the only one I ever believed in
The answer that could never be found
The moment you decided to let love in


Jim scrunched his nose.  “I like the song, but…don’t you think it’s a bit…dramatic?  Like a soundtrack to our relationship or something?”

“Yeah, you’re right.  Okay next—wait, damn it!”  Pam attempted to pause the song but instead hit play on a song she never meant for Jim to hear.

When he realized what it was, his eyes lit up in delight and he snatched the iPod away from her.

“Kansas?” he said incredulously.  “You have ‘The Greatest Hits of Kansas’ on your iPod?”

Pam squirmed out of his lap to better reach the iPod, but Jim stood and held it high over his head.

“Give it back!” Pam squealed.

“I had no idea they even had greatest hits.”

“Jim, please!” she begged, practically jumping to try and reach the iPod.

“Carry on my wayward son, for there’ll be peace when you are done,” Jim sang.

Pam buried her face in her hands, shaking her head in embarrassment.

“I cannot believe you found that.”

“It’s the power of ‘shuffle,’ Pam.  And you know,” Jim put a finger to his chin, looking deep in thought.  “I think our search is over.”

Pam lifted her head and glared at him. “ ‘Carry On My Wayward Son’ is not going to be our song.”

“After this little episode, I’m not exactly sure how it couldn’t be.  Such beautiful lyrics, such a heart-warming melody,” he teased, taking delight in the pink blush that filled her cheeks and the way she tried to be mad but couldn’t help but smile.

“I’ll tell you what,” Jim began, using his salesman voice that Pam always heard when he was about to close a deal.  She crossed her arms and waited for the pitch.

“We’ll shuffle it one more time, and we either stick with the song that comes up, or its Kansas.  Forever,” he added for dramatic effect.

Pam bit her lip.  “That’s awfully risky.”

Jim shrugged.  “Okay, if you’re happy with an old rock band, that’s fine with me…”

“Alright, alright, I’ll do it,” she said, finally retrieving the iPod from his outstretched hands.  

She took a deep breath as she placed her finger on the ‘next’ button.

“Ready?”

Jim nodded.

Pam shut her eyes tight and pressed down on the button, waiting to hear what the random music gods had chosen.

A soft piano melody filled their ears, and both looked at each other in surprised delight.

There’s something in your eyes,
Makes me wanna lose myself
Makes me wanna lose myself
In your arms


Pam’s face broke out into a grin.

“What do you think?”

Jim shushed her, a smile of his own appearing as he absorbed the lyrics and tune.

There’s something in your voice
Makes my heart beat fast
Hope this feeling lasts
The rest of my life


Pam waited for his approval, and as he took her into his arms, their bodies moving in the empty living room to the slow rhythm, she knew the search was over.

If you knew how lonely
My life has been
And how long I’ve been so alone
If you knew how I wanted someone
To come along
And change my life the way you’ve done


“Pam,” Jim whispered into her ear.

“Hmm?”

“I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore,” he said softly, kissing her temple.

“Because that joke has never been done before,” Pam teased.

“Less attitude and more swaying, Beesly.”

“I thought this was dancing.”

“You talk too much.”

She smiled and immersed herself into him, the music, and the overwhelming feeling of contentment that had steadily become more and more present in her life.

The song ended and both let out a sigh, neither moving from their embrace.

“Well,” Jim said after a few moments.  “I guess there’s only one thing left to do.”

Pam gave a mischievous grin.  “What’s that?”

“See if there are any good boy bands in here,” Jim wagged the iPod and darted off to their bedroom.

“Jim!” Pam squealed, running after him as the sound of laughter echoed through their empty home.

End Notes:

Their song, in case you were wondering, is called "Feels Like Home" by Chantal Kreviazuk.  I highly recommend it.  

You know what else I recommend?  Reviewing :) It makes my day.

Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend by Wendy Blue
Author's Notes:

I wonder if Becky215 and Cousin Mose ever get sick of me talking about how great they are all the time. Either way, this chapter wouldn't be here without the help of these two. Seriously.

Enjoy!

“What about this one?”

“I don’t know, it doesn’t really seem like one she would pick.”

“They’re very popular.”

“I know, but she deserves something unique.”

“Sir, I’ve shown you nearly everything we have.”

“Wait,” Jim held up a hand. “Can I see that one?”

“That one?”

Jim nodded and the salesman reluctantly complied. He unlocked the case and pulled out what Jim had so suddenly fell in love with.

“Hey little one,” Jim smiled as he held the small bundle of fur up to his face. “How ya’ doin?”

The puppy let out a high-pitched bark in reply before eagerly licking Jim’s nose. Jim swore that if dogs could smile, this one was beaming.

“I think this is it,” he announced, attempting to cradle the wriggling dog in his arms. “And so I can stop calling it ‘it’, what exactly are we looking at here?” Jim lifted the dog up, hoping to find some clue of whether he was holding a “he” or a “she.”

The salesman rolled his eyes. “It’s a girl. See that diamond marking on her forehead? That should have been your first clue.”

Jim smirked. “They like them no matter what the species, huh?”

“You got it,” the man said, clapping Jim on the back.

Jim turned the dog towards him to take a better look in what he would soon be investing. She was certainly tiny, with a short brown coat that was quickly making itself present on Jim’s black sweater. White fur stretched across her belly and dabbed at the front of her paws, while a short tail whipped happily across Jim’s stomach. And her signature trademark was indeed a patch of white fur in the shape of a diamond, placed prominently on the top of her head and dipped into the furrow of her little brow.

“Alright miss,” Jim said in mock sternness. “Ready to go meet Pam?”

The puppy cocked her head to the side in confusion, and for a moment, Jim thought he could see one of his expressions in hers. He took it as a sign.

xxx

He turned it over and over in his head, but Jim couldn’t think of a way to present Yet-to-be-Named to Pam that wasn’t completely overdone. He didn’t trust himself to wrap her up as a present, and frankly, the dog didn’t seem to be able to stop moving as he watched it run laps around the house.

“Let’s at least make you look presentable,” he said, wrangling her up and reaching for the purple collar he purchased along with her. He heard Pam’s car pull into the driveway and in a last minute effort, put the dog in the bedroom. His heart broke a little as the puppy let out a small whimper and looked at him with brown eyes that said how could you do this to me?

“Give me two minutes and you can get leftovers from dinner.”

Jim shut the door and prayed that she would stay quiet long enough for him to surprise Pam. He stashed away all the other dog essentials he bought that day and tried to make himself look as casual as possible on the couch, newspaper in hand. Jim took a deep breath as he heard her keys jingle in the doorway and glanced up as she came in, breathless and toting bags of groceries.

“Hey you,” she said peeking over the brown bags, navigating her way into the kitchen.

“How was your sister’s?”

Pam laughed. “Another crisis averted. I managed to talk her out of green for her bridesmaid’s dresses.”

“Angela would be so proud.”

Pam plopped on the couch next to him with a bright smile and a quick kiss.

“Hi.”

“Hi yourself.”

“What did you do today?” she asked, stealing the comics from his paper.

“Oh you know, did some dishes, did some laundry, bought a diamond.”

Jim suppressed a smile as he felt Pam stiffen beside him.

“I’m sorry, what?”

“I did laundry. Shocking, I know, but believe it or not I can work our new washing machine.”

“No,” Pam threw the comics down on the coffee table and turned to him. “The other part?”

“Dishes? They really needed to be done. I’m more domestic than you think, Beesly.”

Pam then grabbed the paper out of his hands. “Jim.”

“Oh, you mean the diamond. It’s in the bedroom.”

Pam’s wide eyes wandered to their bedroom and pointed a finger towards it. “The bedroom?”

“Yeah, go take a look,” Jim said, attempting to sound casual but the smile he couldn’t hide any longer betraying his light tone.

She stood and slowly made her way over to the bedroom, glancing back at him with a suspicious stare.

“What did you do?”

Jim shrugged and sat up as she neared the door. She had barely opened it when the puppy came charging at her feet, jumping excitedly around her.

“Oh my God!” she squealed, gathering the dog up with more luck than Jim previously had. She shot him a mock glare. “You jerk, I can’t believe you did that!”

“Hey, I didn’t lie,” he said, raising his hands up in innocence as he made his way over to her. “She does have a diamond. See?” He scratched the top of the puppy’s head right where the diamond lay, prompting her leg to start thumping in happiness.

“You’re lucky she’s so cute or else you would be in so much trouble right now. Yes, he would!” Pam nuzzled her face into the dog’s neck, using a voice Jim only heard around babies.

“Does she have a name?” Pam asked, not taking her eyes off the squirming puppy.

“Nope. I left that honor to you. Diamonds are a girl’s best friend, after all.”

“Cute,” Pam playfully hit him in the arm. “In that case, how about Marilyn? Tiffany?”

“Very funny.”

Pam thought for a moment. “How about Hope?”

“As in the Hope diamond?”

“Why not? It’s valuable, people admire it—“

“And it’s cursed. Sounds about right for this handful,” he remarked, watching her gnaw on Pam’s curls.

“Then it’s settled,” she said as Hope let out a large yawn. Pam kissed the diamond-shaped fur before turning to Jim. “Thank you.”

“You’re very welcome. As long as Hope isn’t the jealous type…” Jim trailed off.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean she’s going to have to make room for another diamond one of these days.” He scratched the dog’s ears and gave a shy smile. “Think she can handle it?”

Pam blushed and looked at him with so much love and trust that Jim wondered if he could just slip Hope on her ring finger right then and there. But he didn’t, he just watched as Pam gently stroked his cheek with her thumb.

“I hope so.”

End Notes:

Oh and I forgot to mention, the "Marilyn and Tiffany" joke was all Miss Becky215's idea.  Just had to give credit where credit was due .

There's only one way for you to tell me what you think, and that is reviewing :)

You Complete Me by Wendy Blue
Author's Notes:
So really, I can't take any credit for main storyline of this chapter.  That all goes to Cousin Mose for his brilliant stroke of genius.  I just put the words on the virtual paper.  And as always, thanks to Becky215 with whom I traded chapter drafts over the course of writing this thing.  
She found them during her first round of Spring Cleaning in the new house.  It was a tradition her mother had instilled while she was growing up; the first Sunday of April dedicated to thoroughly scrubbing, dusting, and more recently, Swiffering every inch of the house.  So Pam pulled on one of her painting t-shirts and the yoga pants that were rarely used for yoga, shooed Jim out of the house and began to deep clean.  This time around was particularly important because it wasn’t her old childhood bedroom, it wasn’t her college dorm, it wasn’t her first house with Roy, and it wasn’t her bachelorette pad.  It was her house with Jim, and it deserved every ounce of cleaning drive she had in her to make it look as wonderful as it made her feel.

It was when she crawled on the floor to dust underneath the bed that she noticed an old Converse high-top shoebox she didn’t recognize.  She then assumed it must belong to Jim, and while she would normally never snoop through his things, curiosity began to get the best of her.  Pam justified to herself that it could contain things that desperately needed cleaning and before she could think twice, she lifted off the lid to reveal its contents.

Baseball cards.  It was as though she had opened up a portal into Jim’s past and was seeing a glimpse of an 11-year-old boy, with the same grin and floppy hair topped with a Phillie’s cap.  She couldn’t begin to count how many were in there, but the careful condition in which they were kept was enough for her to see just how much they meant to him.  She jumped slightly as she heard Jim come in through the front door, and ran to meet him in the living room.

He raised his hands innocently.  “I’m leaving, I promise.  Just thought I’d get the dog out of your hair.”

She smiled.  “Thanks but—“ she brought the box out from behind her back.  “Look what I found.”

Jim rolled his eyes and chuckled.  “Damn.  The secret is out.  Jim Halpert is a dork.”

“That was never a secret,” Pam said with a smile moving towards him and slipping an arm around his wait.

“I’m not sure you’re at liberty to be a smartass when you’ve been going through my personal property.”

“I’m sorry.  But all kidding aside, I had no idea you collected these.”

Jim shrugged.  “Just something my dad got me into when I was a kid.”  He took the box from her and started to pull cards.  “See this one?  Took me forever to track it down and I finally found it at a pawn shop Des Moines.”

“Des Moines?” Pam asked with a laugh.  “When were you in Des Moines?”
“I went on a road trip after high school graduation.  Three guys, a station wagon, and a couple hundred bucks: those were some good times.  Anyway, I just can’t bring myself to part with them.  And there’s this one—forget it,” Jim closed the lid and shook his head.

Pam frowned. “No, what is it?”

“Well, there’s this one card that I’ve looked for everywhere: Yogi Berra’s rookie card.  I gave up a while ago, which is why these guys,” he shook the box gently “are stuck underneath our bed.  Though thanks to you, they now have a clean home on a spotless floor,” he winked.

She forced a smile but deep down ached at the thought of him searching for something for so long only to give up.  Jim rarely gave up on something he set his mind to; she knew that all too well.  And as he kissed her temple and gave the house back to her, she made it her mission to continue his search.

It started off innocently enough.  She’d stop in local pawnshops on her weekend errands, perusing through the glass cases in hopes of stumbling onto a miracle.  Then it started to nag at the back of her mind, creeping into her thoughts at work till it was at the very forefront of her mind.  She abandoned Sudoku for eBay, Free Cell for Craigslist.  It was on a particularly aggravating Monday that Pam began to enlist the help of others.

When she knew Jim would be distracted, she sought out Oscar in hopes that he would offer a solution she hadn’t yet thought.  When he was no help, she even turned to Kevin, who mistook her for wanting playing cards, and offered the name of a man who manufactured “specialty” ones geared toward men.

Pam was racking her brain over a cup of tea in the break room when a voice behind her broke her concentration.

“I hear that you may be in need of assistance,” Dwight said in a low voice, his body turned toward the vending machine.

“I’m sorry?” Pam shook her head in confusion.

“With a certain baseball card,” he whispered, slowly dropping in coins one by one.

She straightened up in attention.  “Do you know where it is?”

“I might,” Dwight murmured, cracking open his soda with a loud hiss.  “I might not.”

Pam stood and gave a menacing glare.  “Dwight, I do not have time for this.  You need to tell me where I can find it.  Please,” she softened with a pleading voice.

Dwight took a large slurp from his soda.  “Well, well, well.  The tables have certainly turned.  My enemy’s closest ally is seeking me out for help.

“You came to me, Dwight.”

His face twisted into anger, but then turned into a sickly grin as he shrugged.  “Fine, obviously it is not of that much importance if you’re willing to mock the person who has what you’re looking for.”

Pam’s eyes widened.  “Wait, you mean you have it?”

“One of the copious amount of things gathered in my father’s inheritance.  He indulged in the frivolity of American sports from time to time.”

She felt a little revolted that it had come to this, asking Dwight of all people for help.  However, perhaps this was karma’s payback for all the torment she and Jim had put him through over the years.  She could spare a little pride if it meant doing something good for Jim, after all he’d done for her.

“Dwight, I’ve got to get that card.  Name your price.”

“Oh Pamela,” he began.  “How does one put a price on what you and your significant other have done to me?  How does one begin to pay me back for countless ruined staplers, computer software, and most importantly, my dignity?”

“Dwight—“

“I’m just not sure I’m going to be able to help—“

“Good afternoon, Dwight,” Angela tersely interjected, her presence startling them both.

Dwight looked between the two women.  “Good afternoon, Angela.”

“I couldn’t help but overhearing…you have something that may be of use to Pam?”

Pam began to interrupt, but Angela quickly shot her a look of warning.

“I might, however given her past record of malfeasance, I’m not sure—“

“Dwight, I think you should put petty differences aside,” she said sternly, giving a look of such ferocity, Pam was glad it was not directed at her.  Then suddenly it dawned on her, why Angela was so quickly coming to her rescue.  She bit back a smile, and focused her attention the tile floor.

Dwight began to protest but wavered under Angela’s intense stare.  “Pam, if you would come by the farm later, I…will give you the card,” he choked out.

Pam merely nodded and watched as Dwight stormed out of the break room.  Angela began to follow when Pam stopped her.

“Hey,” she said gently.  “Thank you.”

Angela looked over her shoulder.  “There will be no need to mention it.”  She scurried quickly out the door, her tight ponytail whipping behind her.

xxx

Pam nearly bounded through the front door later that evening, hardly able to contain her excitement.

“Hi!” she exclaimed happily, finding Jim already settled in more comfortable clothes and lounging on the couch.

“Hey.  How was your mysterious errand that you so anxiously had to leave work for?” he eyed her suspiciously.

She leapt onto the couch next to him, her purse still clutched in her hand.  “I have something for you.”

Jim’s eyes widened in surprise.  “Really now?  It’s not in the little pink bag my surprises usually come in.”

“No, I think you might actually enjoy this more.”

“That’s saying a lot, Beesly. I don’t---oh my God.” He exclaimed as she presented the card to him.  He looked between her and the card, his jaw hung open in his inability to form words.

“You like?” Pam beamed and was quickly answered as he enveloped her in a long kiss.

“I’ll take that as a ‘yes’” she breathed as he pulled away.

“I can’t believe you…I just…have I said ‘thank you’ yet?” Jim said, his shock still inhibiting his coherency.

“Technically no, but I’m pretty sure that kiss will suffice.”

“Well there will be many more ‘thank yous’ later, I guarantee,” he said, laughing and shaking his head in amazement.  “Do you realize what this means?”

“No, what does this mean?” she grinned, seeing more and more of the 11-year-old Jim radiating from his smile.

“You complete me.”

“Oh, Halpert,” Pam said with a grimace.  “Tom Cruise? Really?”

“I don’t even want to hear it.  I know you cried at ‘Jerry Maguire.’”

“Shut up,” she said, grabbing him by the t-shirt and pulling him towards her for another kiss.

“Wait, no. This is wrong,” he said, pulling away from her.  “Yogi can’t see this.”

He took the card and moved toward the bedroom.  “I’m just going to put him with the others.  Then, I don’t know, we can start our reenactment of ‘Risky Business’?”  He made air quotes and wagged his eyebrows as he walked backwards.

Pam rolled her eyes.

“Such a dork,” she muttered under her breath, yet not being able to hide her smile as she jogged down the hallway after him.

 

End Notes:
Review, or else I'll send Tom Cruise over to jump on your couch ;)
Back to the Drawing Board by Wendy Blue
Author's Notes:
I'm soooooo sorry for taking this long to update. I had quite a frustrating bout of writer's block and was two seconds away from chucking my laptop out the window. However, thanks to the constant encouragement of Becky215 and Cousin Mose, I give you another chapter :) Enjoy!
As the morning sun pinched his eyes, Jim heard a frustrated groan emerge from the kitchen. The alarm clock read 7:52, a time rarely seen in the Halpert-Beesly household on a Saturday. Jim sat up slowly, stirring Hope from her place at the foot of their bed. She looked at him with the same misery he himself felt at the early hour.

“So I take it that wasn’t you?” Jim smirked as the dog plopped over onto her side, effectively ignoring him. As much as he wished he could do the same, Jim knew there was only one other person the sound had stemmed from, and he had no intention of leaving her to face whatever it was that was troubling her alone.

He stumbled into the kitchen, scratching the stubble on his chin as he found Pam perched on a kitchen stool with arms folded in front of her. Her lack of sleep was evident in her frazzled hair sticking up every which way and the hint of purple starting to appear under her eyes. Eyes that were focused so sternly on the canvas in front of her while a paintbrush was tossed with abandon onto the newspaper-covered dining room table.

“I can’t draw,” she murmured, not looking away from the canvas.

Jim shook his head. “False.”

“It’s true. I’ve been wasting my time with these classes. I could have saved all that money and we would have been able to afford that other house…the one with the garden in the front?”

“Pam, I’m pretty sure dogs make frequent stops at that garden on their walks, so I think that might not have been a big loss for us.” Jim tried to joke, but the creases in Pam’s forehead stayed firmly in place.

“Okay, too early for humor, point taken,” he said, stifling back a yawn. He moved to her, squeezing her shoulders before wrapping his arms around her tiny, hunched-over frame.

“So what are we working on this morning?” Jim asked, kissing the top of her head.

Pam sighed. “It’s a fairly easy assignment. We have to express what we consider ‘heaven’, only in the abstract.” She pulled at a torn corner of the canvas, shaking her head. “And I’ve been staring at this all morning, trying to think of something and I just…can’t.”

Her voice was defeated and small, and enough to shake the last bit of grogginess out of Jim.

“Tell you what. Whip us up some French toast and I’ll come up with a way to help you out of this. Sound fair?”

Pam eyed him suspiciously. “Alright. But I’m not making eggs.”

“I would never ask you to do that.” Jim placed one more kiss on her head and grabbed his cell phone, wagging his eyebrows as he walked out the front door.

xxx

Pam had been banished from the house all day, instructed to relax, have fun, and to pick up chips and salsa before she came back. As she shuffled through the door, balancing grocery bags in her hands, she stopped short at the sight of a giant pad of white paper sitting on an easel in the living room. A plastic bowl filled with slips of paper adorned the coffee table, black markers strewn about.

“Jim?” she called out, hoping to find some answer for the state of the living room.

He poked his head out from the kitchen, the side of his mouth quirked up in a look of mischief. “Did you get mild salsa?”

“What’s going on?”

“I hope you did. I’m not sure how well he handles spicy food.”

“He?” Pam was growing more concerned by the second, wondering how their normally quiet Saturday night was quickly swerving out of routine.

Jim bit his lip. “Don’t get mad.”

“That’s never a good way to start,” Pam shook her head, moving to set the grocery bags on the counter.

“I invited a couple people over for a game night,” Jim’s voice reached a new height in pitch, sounding more like a question than an explanation.

“Game night?” she whipped around to face him, mouth agape in horrified surprise.

Jim beamed. “Pictionary.”

She wanted to be annoyed. She wanted to be stubborn and refuse. But his playful smile, the hopeful anticipation for approval in his eyes only made her laugh as pulled him into a hug.

“How do you come up with this stuff?” she asked into the threads of his sweater.

“Computer chip. Been there since birth. Weird, right?”

Pam’s smile suddenly dove into a frown. “But who did you invite?”

“Okay, that’s where you might get mad.”
xxx

“You guys are going DOWN!” Michael bellowed, dramatically pointing his fingers to the carpet to emphasize his point. Jan smiled politely, clutching her wine glass so tightly Pam was sure it would break.

“So who’s going first?” Jan asked, flinching at the sound of Michael cracking his knuckles in preparation.

“Pam, how about you start us off?” Jim offered, smiling proudly as he handed a marker to her. She reluctantly took it and dug through the bowl of prompts before pulling one out at random.

“Okay, your time starts now!” Michael announced, flipping over the minute timer.

Pam thought briefly and then proceeded to make sweeping lines over the large parchment, a little figurine of a man appearing in between the lines with his arms splayed out over his head.

It didn’t take Jim long to figure out exactly what she was drawing and with great pride he shouted: “Gone with the Wind!”

“Yes!” Pam cheered as Jim held out his hand for a high-five.

“Well done, Beesly. Well done.”

Michael pouted from his seat. “What does that even mean? Is that a band?”

Jan pinched the bridge of her nose and sighed. “How about you go next, Michael?”

“Very well, m’lady. Let me just pick one here—“

“You’re not really supposed to look when you choose one,” Pam began timidly.

“God, you guys. Too many rules, how are we supposed to keep up? Fine, fine, have it your way. See? Got one. Oh, this is good. I don’t think any of the others even compare. That’s what she—“

“Just. Draw. Please,” Jan begged, finishing off her second glass of wine.

Jim flipped over the timer and Michael went straight to work, giggling wildly as he drew. After a moment or two, when his drawing started to take a recognizable shape, Jan frowned in confusion.

“What the hell is that?”

“You’re supposed to guess!” Michael groaned in frustration.

Jim’s eyes went wide as he realized what he was drawing.

“Umm, that’s really graphic.”

Jan grabbed Michael’s prompt and put a hand to her head as she read.

“Michael, Big Ben is a clock tower in London.”

“Not according to that movie I got in Vegas.” Michael defended, the corners of his mouth twitching from a suppressed smile.

The night carried on in much of the same way, Jim and Pam beating Michael and Jan by quite a large margin, even with Jim’s kindergarten like cartoons. Pam loved that they knew each other so well that they knew exactly what the other was trying to convey from just a few strokes on a piece of paper.

Jim and Pam collapsed on the couch once the evening had ended, quietly reveling in their victory.

“Well I have to say,” Pam murmured into the crook of his arm. “I never expected that I would play Pictionary with Michael and Jan, and I definitely never expected that I would actually have fun doing it.”

“So I did okay?” Jim asked, wrapping a single curl of her hair around his finger.

Pam rested her head on his stomach and grinned up at him. “You did great. Thank you.” She leaned up and kissed him gently, running her hands across the stubble of his cheeks and sighing in contentment.

“So,” Jim began as they broke apart. “Back to the drawing board?”

Pam yawned and slowly nodded her head. “In the morning.”

They fell asleep right there on the couch, Jim’s arm around her waist and her head rising and falling on his stomach as he breathed. When Pam awoke and felt his arm still warm around her and the peaceful look of contentment on his face as he slept, the assignment she faced no longer scared her. She knew exactly what heaven was like.

End Notes:
Reviews make me happier than seeing John K pictures in GQ (well, almost).
Another Notch in Your Belt by Wendy Blue
Author's Notes:

Okay folks, I had to get one more chapter in before I head off my European adventure! This story is by no means over, but it will be on hiatus seeing as how I won't have internet access for two weeks. Many thanks, as always, to Cousin Mose and Becky215 for all of their ra-raing. You guys are the best!

Disclaimer: Not mine in the least.

 

“I feel fat.”

Pam rolled her eyes, never looking away from the newspaper. “Stop.”

“No, seriously,” Jim said, studying himself in the mirror. “Do these pants make my butt look big?”

“Are you kidding me right now?”

“You’re avoiding the question,” he turned around to point at her. “That means ‘yes.’”

Pam closed the paper long enough to glare at him. “When did you become a woman?”

“The same time you became a man who read the sports page on Sunday,” Jim turned back to the mirror, rubbing a hand across his stomach.

“Here,” Pam ruffled through the mess of the newspaper scattered across their bed. “The ‘Health and Fitness’ section. There’s a great article about getting rid of water weight.”

Jim faced her once more, his eyes wide in shock. “Beesly!” He jumped onto the bed, crunching the papers beneath him and bracing his arms against the headboard, hovering over her. “If I develop an eating disorder, it is all your fault.”

She grinned and kissed him. “I’m sorry, I just think you’re being ridiculous. You put on a couple of pounds; it’s no big deal. It’s probably from stress; I mean you sit next to Dwight and Andy. That’s not healthy for anyone.” As he frowned, Pam kissed him again and continued. “Tell you what, that gym on Main is having some ‘two for one’ special on memberships. I’ll go sign us up. We’ll get in shape, it’ll give us something to do together besides fighting with TiVo…”

Jim gave a half-smile. “You would do that?”

“Of course. Plus, it’ll be nice to be able to wrap my arms around you again.”

“I hate you.”

“I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

xxx

They planned to go Monday night after work, despite the inevitable mental exhaustion that comes after eight hours with Michael. However, the large stack of paperwork on Jim’s desk and Dwight pacing nervously around him indicated to Pam that she might be on her own. When 5:00 came and virtually nothing had changed at Jim’s desk, she made her way quietly over and placed a hand on his shoulder.

“Got enough work there?”

Jim gave a heavy sigh. “Of course we would sign a new client the day we’re supposed to go work out. I’m not sure I’m going to make it tonight.” He frowned and knit his eyebrows in worry. “Forgive me?”

“Of course. Though I’m not sure your shirt will, those buttons look ready to pop.”

He narrowed his eyes in mock anger. “Watch it.”

“See you at home.” She smiled and gave him a quick kiss, waving one last time as she rounded the corner out of the office.

Later, as she changed in the gym’s locker room, she felt a small tap on her shoulder.

“Sorry to bug you, but do you happen to have an extra hair tie?” A young woman with dark wavy hair asked, giving an apologetic smile.

“Oh, sure!” Pam replied, digging through her purse. “Here you go.”

“You’re a lifesaver. Two minutes out on that treadmill and my hair would have frizzed out like you would not believe.”

Pam laughed and pointed to her own curly locks. “Oh believe me, I know.”

“I’m Stephanie,” the woman greeted, extending her tan and well-toned arm.

“I’m Pam, nice to meet you. Oh, sorry,” she said, hearing her cell phone ring. “Just one second.”

“No problem,” Stephanie mouthed, tying the unruly hair up into a high ponytail.

Pam read the caller ID and immediately broke out into a grin.

“Still burning the midnight oil, Halpert?”

“This is hell. My vision is blurring from staring at these forms all day, I’m starving, and Michael might actually kill Dwight. I may have to appear in court.”

“How late do you think you’ll be?” Pam asked, toying with the laces on her running shoes.

“No idea. Don’t wait up for me, okay? At least one of us should get some sleep.”

“Alright, good luck. I love you.”

Even over the phone, Pam knew he was smiling. “I love you, too.”

She flipped the phone closed with a sigh, looking over at Stephanie who was eyeing her with a puzzled expression.

“This is going to sound weird, but that wasn’t Jim Halpert, was it?”

Pam’s heart kicked up a bit. “Umm, yeah. You know him?”

Stephanie began to blush and made steady eye contact with the ground. “Yeah, we used to…I mean, like a long time ago, we sort of dated for a bit.”

“Oh,” Her mouth went dry and it was now her turn to become focused on the tile floor.

“How is he?” Stephanie asked quietly, her face a mixture of nostalgia and a hint of regret.

“Good. He’s good.” The awkward silence surrounded the two women, both nervous and consumed with questions that they knew they couldn’t ask.

“Well, it was really nice meeting you, Pam,” Stephanie finally broke, forcing a small smile. “Say ‘hi’ to Jim for me.”

Pam merely nodded and managed a goodbye as she watched her walk away.

She steadied herself against her locker, wondering how there could still be so much mystery about a man she thought she knew so well.

xxx

Pam was still wide awake when Jim got home at nearly midnight, her run-in with his past at the gym replaying over and over in her mind.

“Hey,” he whispered, kicking off his shoes and collapsing into bed. “You’re still up?”

“Yeah, I couldn’t sleep,” she replied shortly, flinching a bit as he kissed her cheek.

Jim fell back on his pillow, loosening his tie as a yawn escaped his mouth. “What a day. How was the gym?”

Pam let out a tight laugh. “Interesting. Stephanie says ‘hi.’” She could feel his body tense, and after a few moments he cleared his throat.

“Umm, I don’t—“

“Remember her? Tall, dark hair, perfect body, tan, ex-girlfriend. Does that help?” The bitterness escaped Pam’s mouth before she had a chance to stop it.

“Look—“

“How did I not know about her? We tell each other everything, Jim. We’ve talked about past relationships before, why did you never bring her up? Was she some fling? A one-night stand? A notch in your belt?”

“Pam—“

“No, I want to know.” Her voice was getting to an unusually high pitch and her breathing was heavy from the rate at which her heart was beating.

Jim hung his head low, struggling to find the right words to begin. “It was four years ago. We had been together six months, the first real serious relationship I’d ever had. Everything was going in the right direction; her family loved me, my family loved her—“

“Is this supposed to be making me feel better?”

“Let me finish,” Jim soothed. “I loved her. Until I caught her with another guy; my college roommate in fact.” He forced a small laugh. “I’d never seen Danny run so fast. Anyway, it ended and I was a miserable waste of life for a month and two days.”

“A month and two days? I don’t understand…” Pam trailed off, all bitterness and anger gone from her voice.

“A month and two days after we broke up, you started at Dunder-Mifflin” Jim’s hand found hers and he began to stroke her wrist with his thumb. “And I remember when I made you smile that day, after I asked you to lunch, I finally let go of Stephanie. Because not being with her meant that I could try and make you smile like that everyday for the rest of my life.”

It was a moment of clarity for Pam; she had always naively assumed that she was his first heartbreak. She had forgotten that life for him did exist before Dunder Mifflin, before her. She was suddenly overwhelmed with guilt and rolled herself into his arms, burying her head in the fabric of his shirt.

“I’m sorry. I don’t know what got into me…”

“Hey, it’s okay,” Jim rubbed her back, pressing kisses to her temple. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about her sooner. No more secrets from now on.”

“Well in that case, I guess I should tell you,” Pam bit her lip and took a deep breath before continuing. “I like you with a little more weight.”

Jim’s eyes sprung open in surprise. “You’re kidding.”

“No, I’m serious. You looked so skinny when you came back from Stamford, you didn’t look like yourself. This,” she said, running a hand down from his full cheeks to pleasantly round stomach. “This is more like it.”

“So, does this mean no more gym?”

“At least for now,” Pam sighed, her eyelids beginning to grow heavy. “We can always just put another notch in your belt.”

“Uhh, poor choice of words there, Beesly.”

“I hate you.”

“I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

End Notes:
Reviews would be the perfect send off for my trip :)
The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread by Wendy Blue
Author's Notes:

I've returned!  And with a new chapter no less!  So take a break from Harry Potter and give it a read, yes?  

Or as the Italians say, Si

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

“What…what is it?” 

Jim beamed.  “A slicer.”

“Oh,” Pam said quietly, eyeing the heavy piece of machinery taking up most of her counter space.  “This is…unexpected.”

“I knew you’d be surprised.  This thing is amazing, it has four optional blade settings.  I know how much you like bread, and now you can cut it as thick as you’d like!”

Pam waited for the punch line.  She knew Jim would never actually get her a bread slicer, especially not for an anniversary.  Though they’d been dating over a year now, Jim still insisted on counting months, and they were up to number fifteen.  But by the never-waning smile on his face and the eagerness in his eyes, Pam resigned to the fact that he did in all seriousness buy her this contraption that she never would have bought for herself and would most likely never use.

“Wow, that’s really…generous.  Thank you,” she said, forcing a smile that she hoped so badly looked genuine.

His smile grew bigger as he bent down to kiss her lightly on the cheek.  “You’re welcome.  And thanks again for the watch.  Seriously, it’s great.  I’m going to go get ready for dinner, you should do the same if we want to make our reservation on time.” 

Pam nodded weakly and followed after him, casting a menacing look back at her anniversary gift that looked so out of place next to the teapot beside it.

xxx

“My relationship is dead.”

Miranda Beesly shook her head.  “You’re overreacting.”

“ ‘I know how much you like bread’?  Who says that to their girlfriend of fifteen months?”

“Honey,” Pam’s mother patted her hand patiently, pushing the used sweetener packets on the restaurant table aside.  “This is what happens in relationships.  That initial spontaneous, romantic spark just dims a little bit; it’s normal.  You guys have been together for a while now, and known each other a lot longer.  Frankly, I’m surprised it lasted as long as it did.”

“But it’s Jim, you know?  Whatever happened to teapots and puppies and flowers for no reason?”

“Whatever happened to random yogurt lids?” her mother said knowingly.

“That was different,” Pam defended, though deep down she knew she was just as guilty for losing the unusual sentimentality that had defined them for so long.

“It doesn’t mean you’re in a rut, Pam.  It just means that your relationship with Jim is…evolving.”

Pam shuddered at the word and stirred her iced tea absentmindedly.  Their waitress strode up to the table.

“More bread for you ladies?”

“No,” Pam said a little too forcefully.  She caught her mother’s warning eye and corrected herself.  “No, thank you.”


xxx

Still troubled by the gift and its possible meaning, Pam even confided in Angela in the break room one day at work.

“Anglea.  I have this friend…let’s call him Daniel,” she said, using the mutual code they had developed.  “And he bought his girlfriend…Louise…kind of an unusual gift for their anniversary.”

“What kind of gift?”  Angela asked with curiosity.

“Umm…an appliance.  That slices bread.” 

Angela’s eyes widened a bit at Pam’s reply.  “Well that’s…very nice of your friend.  He appreciates a woman’s need to have handy tools in her sanctuary of domesticity. 

“But they’ve been together for a pretty long time and it just seems unlike him.”

Angela merely shrugged and got up from her seat.  “I wouldn’t think much of it.  It’s much like a Ginsu knife to help more efficiently cut certain types of vegetables.”  She threw one more knowing glance at Pam before briskly walking out the door. 

xxx

She awoke one Saturday morning to find both Jim and the culinary eyesore missing.  She found a note in its place that simply read:

Tried to use it earlier but it was broken.  Can you pick it up Joe’s Repair Shop at 11:00? I’ll be at my parents’ helping them install TiVo all day.  Don’t be jealous.

--Me


Pam laughed in spite of her annoyance of now having to spend a beautiful weekend afternoon retrieving the symbol of her relationship rut.

She made her way to Joe’s and found the owner behind the counter, whistling happily as he fiddled with some unidentifiable piece of machinery.

“Excuse me, my boyfriend brought in a bread slicer earlier for repair,” Pam said, embarrassed by the ridiculousness of her words.  “I’m here to pick it up.”

“Oh, right.  He actually came by earlier to get it.  But he said you’d be stopping by and asked me to give you this.”  He handed her a note with Jim’s familiar scrawl on it.

Was in the area and decided to pick it up.  Got a call from Angela and there was an “incident” with Dwight at dojo.  Went to go help.  Meet me there after you get this.

--Me


“Are you kidding me?”  Pam said out loud in frustration, pinching her fingers to her nose as she felt a headache start to edge its way in.

“Everything alright, ma’am?”  The owner asked in concern.

“Oh yeah, just great.  My boyfriend just has no romantic interest in me anymore and apparently he’s never heard of a cell phone to relay messages,” she grumbled, grabbing the note and marching out of the store.

She arrived at the dojo, only to find Angela waiting outside wearing her usual scowl accompanied with a very visible impatience.

“What happened? Is Dwight okay? Where’s Jim?” Pam asked breathlessly.

“Dwight sustained a minor sprain in a very uncomfortable region, but he should be fine.  He’s at home getting rest and Michael called Jim into work.”

“What?”  Pam nearly shouted, not even trying to contain her frustration.  “It’s Saturday!”

“Don’t take that tone with me, it’s not my fault Michael decided to do inventory early,” Angela said defensively.

“I know, I know, I’m sorry.  But what are you even still doing here?”

“Jim told me to wait around for you and to give you this,” she said, shoving a piece of paper into Pam’s hands.  “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some ice packs to pick up.”
As Angela drove away, Pam read with growing irritation the latest in Jim’s messages to her.

Michael apparently equates male bonding with warehouse inventory.  Come save me.
--Me


Pam was torn between her mounting aggravation and her slight worry over why Jim wouldn’t just contact her directly.  Though she was growing tired of the chase he was sending her on, she made her way to Dunder-Mifflin, noticing only Jim’s car in the parking lot.  It was growing dark now, the street lamps casting large shadows over the pavement as she let herself into the building.  She found the office empty and void of light except for the single lamp shining from Jim’s desk.  She was hardly surprised to find a single piece of paper placed on his keyboard.  It was the shortest one so far, yet it sent a rush of excitement through her body as she read:

The roof.

Her breathing quickened as she climbed the narrow fire escape to the roof, the cold wind whipping her hair back from her face as she peeked her head out.  She saw him sitting in a lawn chair, his back towards her as bright white fireworks shot into the sky just over the building.  Pam moved slowly towards him, all exasperation vanishing and replaced with awe and wonderment bubbling inside her.  He kept his focus forward on the field in front of him, only turning to look at her when she finally sat down next to him.

“Hey,” he said with a smile.

“Hi,” she laughed.  “Interesting day, huh?”

“Not as interesting as yours, I bet.”

“What’s going on?”

Jim shrugged and leaned over to pick up two paper plates, covered with two thin napkins. 

“I thought we’d have dinner.”

“Dinner,” Pam repeated.  “And you couldn’t call to tell me this because…”

“Because this way was more fun,” he said, taking the napkins to reveal two identical sandwiches, both cut into diagonal pieces.

“No, seriously, what’s going on.  You’re acting weird.  Dwight-weird, actually, and it’s kind of freaking me out.  So if you don’t mind, I’d really like to be in the loop on --”

“Funny you should mention a loop,” Jim said, resting the plates on the ground and pulling from his pocket a small velvet box that rested in a noticeably shaky hand. 

“It just so happens that I have one right here.  Not sure you can be in it, per se, it’s kind of too small for that…”

“Oh my God,” Pam murmured, her heart leaping into her throat at the sight of the Jim getting down on one knee.  His eyes glistened as he took a deep breath and carefully opened the box to reveal a brilliant ring, catching the white light bursting from the sky in its smooth edges.

“I’m not going to pretend that we have a perfect relationship,” Jim began.  “I think it’s about as close as it can get, but we still have our moments.  But I know that we can always fix it, no matter what the problem,” he said, taking the ring out of the box and holding it carefully with his fingers.  “And I also know that we can help each other through anything. Work, family, getting Dwight to believe there’s a beating heart underneath the carpet in the conference room…which we are so doing on Monday, by the way,” he added with a wink.

Pam laughed through the tears that were now free-falling from her eyes.

“And I know, more than anything, that from the moment you walked through that front door on your first day, you saved me.  And I want to spend the rest of my life repaying you for that.”  Pam grinned, her entire body trembling with happiness.

“Will you marry me?” he finally asked.

And as if she’d been waiting for those words, she let out a loud “yes!” and pulled him up into a huge embrace.  The minutes passed by as they held onto each other before Jim finally pulled back long enough to slip the ring onto her finger.

“Did you honestly think that my only gift to you would be a bread slicer?”  he asked with a laugh.

“You are such a jerk,” Pam teased, hitting playfully on the arm.  “So this is what you were doing all day.  Planning all of this,” she said, gesturing to the scene around her.

“Well, I really did help my parents install TiVo.  It wasn’t a total lie.”

“And I’m guessing my Mom and Angela were in on this plan of yours.”

“And Joe,” Jim added.  “For a repairman, he really is quite the romantic.”  He smiled and rubbed the ring with his thumb.  “You like it?”

“I think it’s the best thing since sliced bread,” Pam giggled.

“Wow.  That’s the cheesiest thing I’ve ever heard in my life.”

“Be nice.”

“What’s the fun in that?”

“If you’re nice to me, I’ll still marry you.”

“Deal.”


  





 

End Notes:

Wooooo!  Welcome me back with reviews, please :)

 Or as the French say, s'il vous plait

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1947