Together We Are Three by Beeswax
Summary:

Pam is five weeks away from her due date and Jim is there to help her get to the finish line.


Categories: Jim and Pam, Future Characters: Ensemble
Genres: Married
Warnings: Other Adult Theme
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 9772 Read: 22970 Published: July 29, 2009 Updated: March 03, 2010
Story Notes:
As we near Season 6 and the impending baby Halpert arrival (squeeee!), I thought I'd write a birth story that has elements of reality, with some fluff sprinkled throughout.  This story is based on my experience of becoming a mother for the first time.  It was an amazing and frightening experience, but my husband and I gained a whole new respect for each other.  I'd like to think of Jim and Pam going through a similar journey.

1. 35 Weeks on Friday by Beeswax

2. Round and Full by Beeswax

3. Everything Is Going To Be Okay by Beeswax

4. Let's go have a baby! by Beeswax

5. The Waiting Game by Beeswax

6. Just Breathe by Beeswax

7. The Time has Come by Beeswax

35 Weeks on Friday by Beeswax
Author's Notes:

Our story begins on a Tuesday in the Scranton Branch of Dunder Mifflin.  Here we get to see how Pam is dealing with her pregnancy in the office.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

She was really beginning to hate her rolling chair.  Every time Pam tried to get up to do something in the office she had to brace herself on the desk and hurl herself upright.  Her rolling chair didn't always give her the leverage she needed to stand and she was often left gripping her desk as she and her eight-month pregnant belly negotiated an upright position.  Jim always watched with narrowed eyes and a hopeful expression each time Pam got up from her desk.  She hadn't fallen flat on her ass yet, but each trip away from her desk seemed like it could go either way.

Right now, all she needed to do was get to the copier.  It was right behind her and part of her wished she could just roll over to it while seated in her chair, but that just seemed lazy and pathetic, so she made the big push away from her desk. Steady...steady...success!  Pam took a few wide-legged steps and lifted the lid of the copier.

“My God, you are getting big,” Meredith said while staring at Pam's stomach.

“Thank you, Meredith,” Pam uttered through a tight-lipped smile.


“How far along are you now?”


“Ummm...35 weeks on Friday.”


“Really? I don't know, the way you are carrying, you're just really low...and you've got the walk.”


“The walk?”


“Yeah, I'd know that walk anywhere.  Let me ask you something.  Does your back hurt?”


“A little, but that's just normal pregnancy symptoms.”


“Okay, what about down there?” Meredith pointed to below Pam's belly.


“Uh, down there?”


“Yeah, does it feel like there is a bowling ball sitting on your vagina?”


“Meredith!”


“Oh, don't act like you've never heard that word, Miss Priss.”


“I've heard of the word,” Pam whispered, “but I don't exactly like discussing it in front of everyone.”


“Hey, Beesly, how are those copies going?” Jim interjected as he appeared beside Pam, placing a soothing hand on her lower back.


“Jim, you'd better get ready to take her to the hospital, because I'd bet my van she's squeezing that kid of yours out soon,” Meredith said while pointing the straw in her plastic cup towards Pam.


“Meredith, she's only 35 weeks on Friday,” Jim offered as Pam nodded.

“Well, all I can tell ya is I've had two kids and I know that walk,” Meredith shrugged as she turned back to her computer.


“Ignore her. She's probably drunk,” Jim whispered.


Pam turned and grabbed her copies. “Yeah, well it's 10 am, so I wouldn't be surprised.”


“C'mon, I put the kettle on for your tea,”


Jim guided Pam into the kitchen and in one motion pulled out a chair and gave his arm for support to help her sit down.  As he busied himself making tea, Pam stared blankly at the wall in front of her.  Meredith's words stuck with her and a small wave of panic rolled into her thoughts.


The nursery isn't done yet and they still had 2 pre-natal classes to go to...4 pounds? Is that how big it would be right now?


“Hey, hey...” Jim sat down and broke Pam's trance.  He set down the tea and slipped his hand in hers. “Seriously, Pam, don't worry.  Remember what Nurse Kerry said last week in class about first babies?”


“Ummm...I don't know...”


“She said that first babies are usually late...and women often have to be induced.”


“Well, I'm glad you're paying attention in class.”


“C'mon, we have nothing to worry about.”  His other hand rested on top of Pam's. “Look, how about I paint the nursery this weekend, and we can get some things ready in the house. Would that help?”


“Yeah,” Pam smiled faintly.


“Okay, now drink this delicious cup of decaffeinated tea that I so lovingly brewed for you and then we can get back out there and sell some paper.”


Pam snickered and whispered, “Thanks.”

~*~

As the day dragged on, Pam was losing energy fast and felt achy and tired.  Her feet and ankles were swollen and her wedding ring was now permanently stuck on her hand.  Her Braxton Hicks contractions were creating a never-ending tightening of the muscles and skin across her stomach and, although she hated to admit it, there was definitely a 'bowling ball on the privates' feeling going on.  But with only 20 minutes left in the work day, relief was on its way.  Soon Jim would deliver her home where she could flop out on the couch and mindlessly watch tv.  She only had one more tedious task to finish before she left, so she made the trek into Michael's office.


“Hey preggo! What can I do you for? Well, you've already been done, obviously, but hey, I've always wondered what it's like to--”


“Michael, I just need you to sign this for the Barnes account,” Pam said with an exasperated sigh as she dropped the file on Michael's desk.


Michael's eyes drifted downward.  Pam rolled her eyes and snapped her fingers in front of Michael's face.  “Michael! Focus! I just want to get this done so I can get out of here.”


“What? Oh, sorry. But, God, Pam, seriously, I just can't get over those boobs, I mean...WOW!”


“Michael, what did we say about boob talk?”


“I know, I know, but I can't help it! They are just out there and they are just...” Michael made a squeezing gesture with his hands.  “Grrrrrr baby, very grrrrrr!”


“Please just sign the papers,” Pam said with closed eyes while rubbing her forehead.  “I'm sore, I'm tired and I just can't deal with your Austin Powers boob talk right now.”


“Okay, okay. Geez.  Poor Jim having to deal with this perma PMS all the time.”


Michael quickly signed the papers and slid them over his desk to Pam.


“Thank you Michael, I'll see you tomorrow.”


“Oh and Pam?”


Pam turned at the doorway, “Yes?”


“I'm sorry about the boob talk, but you're just got that beautiful pregnant glow, that's all I meant.”


“Thank you, Michael.”


He shook his head and sighed.  “You and Jim are so lucky to be living my dream. He's lucky to have you, kiddo.”


“Thanks, that's very sweet.”


“But hey, you know, speaking of boobs--”


“No--”


“Jan's boobs got pretty big when she was pregnant and sometimes she would let me--”


“Good night, Michael.”

End Notes:

Just a little note about "Braxton Hicks" contractions.  They aren't real contractions, but in my experience they were pretty uncomfortable and annoying.

Thanks so much to my betas kerber1920 and jinx Feel free to review!

Round and Full by Beeswax
Author's Notes:

Jim and Pam meet up with some old friends for dinner.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

The pulsating ring of the phone roused Pam from her couch-induced slumber.  She turned her head to look at the time: 6:03.  She knew she had to get up for some reason, but could not remember what for.  Her body felt weighted down to the couch by sleep and exhaustion.  Closing her eyes, Pam drifted off to sleep again but was awakened a few minutes later by Jim's hand caressing her cheek.

“Heeey...Beeees-ly...time to get up,” Jim said quietly in a sing-song voice.


“Mmmm...”


“We've got to meet Mark and Vanessa at 7, remember?”


“Mmmm...”


“I don't know if you want to have a shower or what, so...”


Pam opened her eyes to see Jim kneeling at her side.  His hand was now rubbing circles on her belly and it made her skin tingle.


“Hmm?” Pam mumbled with her eyes still closed.


“Remember? Mark and Vanessa are in town and we're meeting them for dinner.”


Pam's eyes opened slightly. “Oh, yeah...yeah. Okay, give me a few minutes.”  She turned slightly, hugged the couch pillow and closed her eyes again.


“Pam, I know that move.  One more sigh and squeeze of that pillow and you're gone for the night.”  He pushed up the hem on Pam's t-shirt, placed both hands on her bare swollen belly and pressed his lips just above her belly button.  “I can just go on my own, if you're not up to it,” he muffled against the soft, tight skin before placing a another kiss on her stomach.


Pam giggled and swatted him. “Stop. That tickles!”  Both eyes blinked open and she sighed.  “Okay, no, I'm good. We haven't seen them in forever...just...help me up, will you?”


“You got it,” he said with a smile as he placed his hands in Pam's and guided her slowly up and off the couch.


Pam shuffled to the stairs.  “If I'm not out of the shower in 20 minutes, come and get me.  You may have a beached whale situation on your hands.”


He held up his hand. “I've got Greenpeace on speed dial, so no worries.”


~*~


The Halperts met up with Mark and his wife Vanessa at Cafe Classico on Mulberry up by The U.  Pam had been craving their turkey, roasted red pepper and mozzella sandwich on focaccia ever since she had it for lunch a few weeks ago, so Jim made the suggestion to eat there.


“Man, Halpert, I still can't believe you are going to be a father,” Mark chuckled as he took a sip of his beer.


“Yeah, it's a little surreal,” Jim said with a smile, thinking about how his life had changed so much over the past few years.  His career still had gone nowhere, but his life with Pam was something he only dreamed about back when he and Mark were room mates.  His eyes caught the rings on Pam's left hand sparkling and reflecting the table's candlelight.  Damn, how did I get so lucky? He thought to himself.


“It just seems like yesterday that we were having kegger house parties and now you're going to be lining up baby bottles instead of beer bottles,” Mark said with another swig.


“Uh, yeah. Man...that seems like a million years ago that we were doing that kind of stuff,” Jim said quietly as he glanced at Pam.


“Oh!” Mark cried out.  “Do you remember the night we had that party and everyone added their bottles to the 'Wall of Beer' and then, it was like, 2 am and you and Brian hopped the fence to the neighbor's pool and--”


“Okay, Mark, enough with the frat boy talk!” Vanessa looked disapprovingly at Mark.  “I want to know more about how Pam is doing...and about the baby.”  She clasped her hands together and took a deep breath.  “Soooo, I've been dying to ask you this all night: Do you guys know what you're having?”


“You mean for dinner?” Pam asked blankly.


“No! I mean is it a boy or a girl?” Vanessa giggled.


Jim and Pam's eyes met and Pam shrugged and slightly nodded.


“Uhhh...well the ultrasound says it's a girl,” Jim said, trying to contain his grin.


“A girl! Oh my god!!! That's so exciting!” Vanessa got up to hug Pam.


“Congrats, buddy!” Mark said as he shook Jim's hand across the table.  “Wow. A girl.” He shook his head and laughed.  “You are really in trouble now, my friend,” Mark said with a smile.


“What?”


“You'll be outnumbered.”


Jim laughed.  “Surrounded by beautiful women? I think I can live with that.”  He smiled warmly at Pam.


“So are you all ready for the baby?  I mean, do you have the nursery ready and clothes and stuff?” Vanessa asked excitedly.


Pam glanced at Jim, “Well, Jim's going to paint the nursery this weekend, and I'm pretty sure we've decided on a stroller.  I've been picking up clothes and baby stuff here and there...”


“But we've got at least 5 weeks to get everything done,” Jim added. “So...”


“So, yeah. We'll be more than ready,” Pam agreed.  She shifted slightly on the cushioned chair to find a more comfortable position.  “Although, I guess I should start thinking about what to bring to the hospital.”


“Oooo, Beesly, we should make an ipod birthing playlist!”


“Oh yeah, the nurse at our pre-natal class said that music can help during the birth.”


“You two are adorable! Mark, doesn't it make you want to have kids?” Vanessa said with a wink.


“Ha ha. Nice try, Vanessa. Let's see how adorable they are when they are on no sleep and changing poopy diapers,” Mark laughed.


Jim coughed. “Man, did you just say 'poopy'?”


“Shut up!  Halpert, I'm serious.  I've seen it with my brother.  He was a zombie when his kid was born.  I'd like to soak up a few more years of sleep before I have to go through that.”


“Nice Mark.  Don't freak them out!” Vanessa said as she swatted Mark on the arm.


“I'm just trying to prepare them...”


Pam was only half listening as Mark and Vanessa continued to banter back and forth.  She was finding it very hard to sit still.  The chair was cushioned, but she felt like she was sitting on a block of wood.


Maybe a little walk would help.


“Excuse me, I'm just going to take a trip to the rest room,” Pam said as she slowly got up from the table.


“Are you okay, Beesly?”


“Yeah, just need to stretch my legs a bit.”


Pam made her way into the rest room and by the time she got there she felt a little nauseous.  She stood in the single person bathroom gripping the sink and looking at herself in the mirror.  Her face was flushed and sweat was collecting on her brow.  She also had a sudden urge to use the bathroom.


What is wrong with me?


She splashed water on her face and shuffled towards the toilet.  Although it did feel good to sit down, nothing was happening.  Pam maneuvered herself up, washed her hands and returned to the table.


Jim, Mark and Vanessa laughed and shared stories throughout the night, but Pam was just not in the mood to participate.  She had no appetite and just could not find a comfortable sitting position.  After her third return trip to the bathroom, she couldn't take it anymore.


“Uh, Jim, I'm sorry, but I think we're going to have to call it a night.”


Jim reached for her hand, “You're really feeling crappy, aren't you?”


“Yeah, I'm so sorry guys. I don't know what's wrong with me. These chairs are just so uncomfortable and I'm not very hungry and my back is just...well, you don't want to hear me complain all night.  I probably just need good night's sleep.”


“Okay, let's head out,” Jim said as he rubbed the top of her hand with his thumb.


There were hugs and handshakes and after short car ride Jim and Pam were home.  As they walked through the door and it shut behind them, Jim pulled Pam into a hug.


“Do you want me to draw you a bath?”


“Mmmm...yeah, that may help my back. Thanks. Not too hot, though, okay?”


“Got it.” Jim kissed her forehead and bounded upstairs.


~*~


Pam slipped into the warm bath, lay her head on her bath pillow and let out a sigh.  She scooped some bubbles into her hand and created whispy white puffs on her protruding belly, which looked like a perfectly round mountain errupting out of a foamy sea.  Pam's body was beginning to relax, but her mind was racing.  She closed her eyes and thought about all of the things she needed to get done before the baby arrived.


Diapers.  Sleepers.  Change table.  Crib.  Stroller.  Car seat.  Nursing bra.  Rocking chair.  Receiving blankets.  Hospital bag.  Bassinet.  Wipes...


Baby products danced around in her head as she drifted in and out of a haze.  A knock at the door interrupted her reverie.


“Room in there for me?”


Pam laughed, “Um, no, not quite.”


Jim kneeled at the side of the bath and proceeded to use some of the bubbles to make a happy face on Pam's belly.


“Feeling better?”


“Yeah, a little, but I'm done in here. I think I'll dry off and go to bed.”


“Need some help getting out?”


“Uh, yeah, but don't watch me getting out.  No one should have to see a naked, contorted, pregnant body like that. It'll give you nightmares.”


“Oh Pam, c'mon...”


“No! I'm serious.  Can you just give me your hand and look away?  I'll get myself out and then gracefully walk into your towel and we'll both come out of this happy.”


“Okay, okay,” he said as he turned his head to the side and held out his hand and the towel.  Pam slowly navigated herself out of the tub and as she backed into him he wrapped his arms and the towel around her and rested his chin on her shoulder.


“You know,” he whispered, his lips grazing her ear, “You are the most beautiful pregnant woman I have ever seen.”


“Yeah, yeah...,” she rolled her eyes, even though Jim could not see them.


“No, I'm serious. Just seeing you so round and full—”


“Round and full?!?”


“Yeah, it's...sexy and...I don't know... knowing that you're carrying a little person in there... our baby...God, Pam I...I just love you so much.”


Her heart started fluttering in her chest and she bowed her head a little.  It still amazed her how he always knew exactly what to say.  She turned around in his arms and whispered, “I love you too.  You...take such good care of me, and...” she looked into his eyes and and suddenly it felt like a wave of tears washed all the way from the back of her throat up to her eyes.  Pam buried her head against Jim's chest. “I'm sorry, I think I'm having a moment.  God, I really don't think I could do this without you,” she sobbed and wrapped her arms around his back.


“Shhhh...it's okay,” he said while rocking her side to side.  “I'm just glad I can do something.  I mean you're the one doing all work here.  I'm just the assistant.”


“The assistant pregnant person?” she said in a muffled voice against his t-shirt.


“Assistant to the pregnant person.”


Pam laughed through her remaining tears and let out a big sigh.


“Okay, hot mama, you've had a long day. Towel off. I'll meet you in there.”


Pam dried herself off and exchanged the towel for her pink terrycloth robe.  She stretched each side of the robe across her stomach and attempted to tie it up.  Too tired to wrestle with putting on pyjamas, she slowly padded across the carpeted floor of their bedroom.


Jim's bedside table lamp was on and filled the room with a soft, golden light.  She grunted as she slipped under the cool sheets and stretched out, resting an arm and leg upon Jim.  He was propped up in bed reading Sports Illustrated and began to tell her something about the basketball tryouts, but it fell upon deaf ears.  Pam was fast asleep.  She was spread-eagle under the sheets and looked like a hot pink boxer who had been knocked out cold.  Jim chuckled to himself, tossed the magazine aside and switched off the light.  He then molded his body against Pam's and rested the side of his face upon her shoulder.

The room was now dark except for the faint wash of streetlights that filtered through the sheer curtains.  He nuzzled the top of his head against her neck and cast his eyes down her body as she deeply breathed in and out with a soft and steady rhythm.  With every breath, her chest and stomach would rise together in unison and he reached out and curved his palm against her belly.  Her breathing raised his hand up and down and the movement made him think of a wave, like a tide against the shore.  It was hypnotic.  His eyelids grew heavy and just as sleep was about to take hold, he smiled and whispered into the darkness:


“I can't wait to meet you.”

End Notes:

Thanks so much to my betas kerber and ollie.  It's great to have another set of eyes on this.

Big ups also to ollie, who I have given the title of "Official Scranton Consultant".  Thanks for taking time out to consult with me about your home town.  Cafe Classico is a real restaurant and their bread, and everything else, is very good.

Oh, and thanks to everyone that has been reading and reviewing.  Your reviews are like a proposal on a rainy day :-)

Everything Is Going To Be Okay by Beeswax
Author's Notes:

It's Wednesday morning and Pam gets a surprise wake up call.

The sun was bright and made everything around her explode with vibrant colour.  Pam looked up at a crisp blue sky that was devoid of clouds.  As she walked across a field of emerald green grass, the soft blades folded beneath her feet and threaded between her toes.  A small stream suddenly appeared and the water felt warm as it trickled across the tops of her feet. Something caught her eye.  It flickered and shone beneath the tumbling water.  Pam reached into the water and wrapped her hand around the shimmering object.  She turned her hand over and slowly released each finger to reveal a small silver train engine laying flat in her open palm.  The tiny train began to feel heavy and hot in her hand, but she wrapped her fingers tightly around it and all at once a strong desire to run came over her.  She began to run. Her legs carried her faster and faster across grass then gravel then sand and--


Pam's eyes shot open and she blew out a long deep breath.  The time on the alarm clock read 5:15.  Her dream seemed so vivid and real.  She was soaked with sweat and her robe was wet underneath her.


Oh my God.  Did I wet the bed?  She reached down and felt the soaked terrycloth.  Great.  First morning sickness and then heartburn, backache and sore boobs.  Now I'm wetting myself.  Perfect.


“Ugh,” she grunted as she sat up.  A gush of liquid spilled out from between her legs and Pam froze.  Her eyes grew wide and her heartbeat quickened in her chest.  She gathered the back of her robe through her legs and made her way to the bathroom.  As she positioned herself on the toilet, she tried to make sense of what was happening.


Okay...okay...what did they say?  If I do a Kegel and the flow stops, it's just pee.


She attempted to stop the flow of water, but it continued to trickle down.


Ohmygodohmygodohmygod.


“Jim...Jiiii-mmm!...JIIIII-MM!!!!!!”


Jim stumbled into the doorway of the bathroom and hung on to the door frame to balance himself upright.


“What? What's going on?” he said panting with his eyes squinting against the bright light of the bathroom.


“Um...,” her voice shook, “I think...I think my water broke?”


What?”


“My water broke.  It's going all over and I wet the bed and it's...it's everywhere.”


Jim was still half asleep and could not fully comprehend what was happening.  He let go of the door frame and held up his hands as if he was trying to push away the information that was hurdling towards him.


“Okay...hold on, hold on...what could this mean?”


“It means I think I'm in labor and my water broke and I think the baby is coming and I...I...”


Jim snapped out of his sleepy haze and rushed to her side.


“Huh...whooo...okay...are you feeling any contractions?”


“Ummm...no, I don't think so.  I just woke up and I was all wet...God Jim,” her voice quivered.  “I still have 5 weeks. This is too early...what's happening?”


“Okay, Beesly?” Jim held her hands and locked eyes with her.  “We'll go to the hospital and they can tell us what's going on, all right?”


Pam nodded as tears slipped down her cheeks.


“All right,” he stood up and ran his hands through his hair.  “You go get dressed, I'll get some things organized and then we'll go...okay?  You good?”


“Yeah...yeah...okay,” she said as she bit down on her bottom lip.  “I'll just go get dressed.”


Pam stood in their bedroom, mentally trying to focus on what she needed to do.  She couldn't think about the baby or the water running down her thighs or the million things that could go wrong.  Right now, all she had to think about was getting dressed.  As she shakily slipped on each article of clothing, she made a mental checklist in her head to make sure she wouldn't forget anything.


Okay, underwear...on...pants...yep...bra...bra...where is my bra?  It's so damn big I shouldn't be able to miss it...ahh, okay, there it is.  T-shirt...good and hoodie...all right, now socks.


She gingerly walked over to the bed to sit down and put on her socks and Jim breezed through the door just as she finished sliding the last sock over her heel.


“All right, I called your mom.  She wanted to meet us at the hospital, but I told her to hold off and we'll let her know what's going on.  I left a message on the machine at work to tell them we won't be in today--”


A look of fear crossed Pam's face.  “You didn't tell them I was in labor, did you?”


“Well, yeah, I told them your water broke and we're going to the hospital.”


She rolled her eyes.


“What?  It isn't a secret, is it?”


“No, but now Michael will know and I don't want him at the hospital or in my room or anywhere near me.”


Jim shook his head.  “Look, don't worry about that.  I will take care of Michael.  Let's just focus on getting you to the hospital. Okay?”


He slowly guided her downstairs and they stepped outside the front door into the cool morning air.  Ink blue and slate gray clouds streaked across the sky and the air was calm and quiet.  Jim carefully directed her around to the passenger side of the car and eased her into her seat.


“Oh shit, I forgot my wallet. Hold on, I'll be right back.”


He ran into the house and Pam sat alone in the silent car.  Her mind started to race and the shock of what was happening began to take hold and unravel her.  All of the fears and worries that she had for the baby hit her all at once.  Her body began to tingle and tremble.  By the time Jim returned and opened the driver's side door and positioned himself behind the wheel, she was shaking and sobbing and clutching the door handle so tight that her knuckles were white.


“Hey, hey,” Jim pulled her into an embrace across the gear shift and stroked her hair.  “C'mon. It's okay. Shhhh...”  He pulled back and wiped her tears away with his thumb, cupped each side of her face and spoke in a strong, calm voice.


“Look at me.  Pam.  You can do this.  I am going to be with you every step of the way.  Everything is going to be okay.


She looked into his eyes.  They were dark and wide in the ill-lit car.  These were eyes that knew her and loved her and and believed in her.  She searched his eyes and allowed them to calm and soothe her.  Pam drew in a quivering breath and nodded.


“All right,” he said as he placed a quick but tender kiss on her lips. “Let's go,”


Jim started the car, pulled out ont the street and drove into the dawn.

End Notes:

Thanks again to my two awesome betas, kerber and Ollie!

The dream at the beginning has an obvious significance, but there are a few clues in there about things in future chapters.  Stay tuned ;-)

Let's go have a baby! by Beeswax
Author's Notes:

Jim and Pam take a trip to the hospital and some unexpected visitors may be on their way.

Disclaimer: I do not own these characters or Moses Taylor Hospital.  But I do own my very own Dundie.

They pulled into the parking lot of Moses Taylor Hospital just as the sun peeked over the horizon.  Pam was shaking as Jim directed her towards the ER entrance.


“How you doing, Beesly?” Jim asked as the automatic doors parted in front of them.


“Okay.” She glanced down.  “A little wet, but okay.”


Pam stepped up to what seemed to be the front desk and smiled nervously at the nurse.


“Hi, I think I'm in labor?”


The nurse took one look at the wet patch between Pam's legs.  “Well, well, it looks like you are.  Name please?”


“Pam Halpert.”


The nurse quickly entered Pam's information into the computer and brought a wheelchair around the desk.  Jim placed the towel they brought with them on the seat of the wheelchair before Pam eased into it.


“Okay, Mr. Halpert?  You're in charge now. We don't deal with babies down here.  You'll have to take her to Labor and Delivery.  So, go down the hall, through those doors, take a right, then a left.  Then you'll see the elevators.  Take them and get off on the third floor.  Take a left then an immediate right and you'll see it there.  There's a buzzer, so press it and they'll let you in.”


“O-okay,” Jim stammered.


“Did you get all that?” Pam said as Jim started pushing her down the hall.


“Pshh, yeah, I got it.  I've got a photographic memory, so...”


“Ha, right.  I guess we can ask for directions if we need to.”


After a few wrong turns and some backtracking around the halls, Jim and Pam finally made it up to the third floor.  Before long Pam found herself feeling slightly exposed in an open-backed hospital gown lying on a bed in a birthing room.  She swept her eyes around the room as she waited for Jim to return from the nurses station.  Balloon valance curtains puffed out above the windows and a continuous vine of red and pink roses wrapped around the white room on the wallpaper border.  Her eyes finally landed on a clear plastic bassinet.


That's where the baby goes.  There could be a baby in there...soon.


Jim entered the room to find Pam wide-eyed, staring at the empty bassinet.  He stood beside it.


“Hey,” he whispered while running his fingertips across the flannel blanket that lay inside.  “Is this where she'll...?”


“Yep,” Pam answered bluntly.


“Wow.”


They were both humbled into silence and became lost in their thoughts until a nurse walked briskly into the room with a clipboard.  She cliped it onto the end of Pam's bed and began wrapping a blood pressure cuff around Pam's arm.


“Hi, I'm Liz.  I'll be your nurse for today, until 7,” she offered as she quickly filled the cuff with air.  “I'm just going to take your blood pressure and then we're going to get you started on an IV.  Then I'm going to take some blood, just to make sure everything's okay.”


“An IV?  Why does she need that?” Jim asked.


“Well, with her water being broken there could be a risk for infection, so it will protect the baby against anything like that.”


Jim was amazed at the efficiency of Nurse Liz.  Within minutes she had taken Pam's blood pressure, written on the chart, taken 3 vials of blood and inserted an IV needle in Pam's hand.


“The doctor will be in soon to examine you soon.  Oh!  Here he is right now.”  Nurse Liz stepped back and stood beside the IV stand as a short, middle-aged man in scrubs strolled into the room.


“Good morning, who do we have here, Mrs...,” he grabbed the chart and flipped it open, “Halpert?”


Pam nodded as the doctor continued to scan the chart.


“Okay,” he said as he hooked the chart back on the end of the bed, “I'm Dr. McKendrick, the doctor on call.  Your own doctor will be along in a little while, but for now, you're stuck with me.  So I've read your chart, now let's hear you tell the story.”


Pam recounted her abrupt early morning wake up call as Dr. McKendrick pulled back the bedsheet and placed his hands on Pam's belly.  He pressed and pushed to try to determine the position and size of the baby.


“So, Mrs. Halpert, how big do you think this baby is?”


“Well, I get those pregnancy weekly update e-mails, you know the ones that tell you what's developing each week and how big the baby is?  So, I think it should be about 4...5 pounds?”


Dr. McKendrick continued to prod and press against Pam's rotund stomach.  He sighed and crossed his arms.


“My dear, you'll be lucky if this baby is 4 pounds.  It seems a little on the small side to me.”


Jim's face fell and his gaze dropped to the ground as Pam bit her bottom lip.


“Are you having any contractions yet?” The doctor asked as he brought the sheet back up over Pam's belly.


“No, nothing.  Just water.  Umm...it hasn't stopped yet.  How much water is in there?  I mean, shouldn't it all be out by now?” Pam asked.


“Well, that's the neat thing.  As long as you don't have contractions, the amniotic fluid will continue to re-generate inside the uterus to protect the baby.  So, unless contractions start, you're going to feel like a leaky faucet for most of the day.”


“Um, Dr. McKendrick?” Jim piped in.  “Pam is 35 weeks, that's kind of early.  Is there any way to stop the, uh, water?  Or stop labor?”


“No.  The amniotic sac is broken.  There is no way to repair it. The baby's lungs should be fully developed by now.  There is a chance that the baby could have some problems breathing, but we can help it along with that.  35 weeks is pretty much on the cusp of a safe time to go into labour, so I wouldn't worry too much.  All righty, I'm going to get some gloves and we'll take a feel inside.  Be right back, folks.”


The doctor and nurse left and Jim and Pam were motionless.  His words rolled around in their heads and left them reeling.


You'll be lucky if this baby is 4 pounds...there is no way to repair it...could have trouble breathing.


Pam placed her hand on her belly.  “Please be okay,” she whispered while continuing to stare ahead in front of her.


~*~


The office of Dunder Mifflin Scranton was starting to fill up.  It was 8:30 am and employees were starting up their computers and slowly starting the day.  Erin had finished faxing off an order form to a client in Poughkeepsie and sat down behind her desk to listen to messages.  One message caused her to jump up from her seat.


“Oh my God!!!  Pam's having the baby!”


There was a slight stir amongst the office workers and then Michael burst through his office door.


“What about a baby?”


“Jim called and said Pam's water broke.  They're at the hospital right now!” Erin said excitedly.


“She's only 34 and a half weeks,” Dwight exclaimed. “That could be considered pre-term labor.  You know, I once had this sow that went into labor weeks before she should have and the piglets came out half--”


“Ew!  Dwight!  No one wants to hear your disgusting animal labor stories!” Michael spat.


“Well, I called it,” Meredith shouted from her desk.


“What are you talking about, Meredith?” Angela sneered.


“Yesterday, I told her that she was about to pop.  She was walking like she had a pickle up her--”


The whole office errupted in groans.


“Well, I hope everything will be okay,” Phyllis quietly added.


Michael rushed into his office to grab his coat and came out to stand between Jim and Pam's desks.


“Okay everybody, listen up.  This is Jim and Pam.  Their incredibly hot sex created a love child.  I need to be there for them.  What if Jim passes out?  What if they need someone to cut the cord?  I cannot sit here and do nothing.  I will birth that baby myself if I have to.”


“Michael,” Oscar interjected, “I don't think Jim and Pam need you there.  There are trained medical professionals to help them.”


“Uh, Oscar, do those medical professionals love Pam like I do?  Are those medical professionals going to hug and hold Jim when he's scared?  I mean I'm practically the Godfather of that baby.  They need me.”


Michael began to put on his coat when Dwight ran over to help him.  “Michael,” Dwight whispered, “Please let me come with you.  I know a lot about animal husbandry and birthing--”


“Dwight!  No!  Yuck.  As if Pam wants you hanging around offering to birth her piglet.”


Dwight stepped back, offended.  “Fine, I guess I'll just call Charles and let him know that I'm in charge of the office for the day?  Since you are taking the day off?”


“No!  No...ugh...no, okay.  Fine.  You can come along.  Stanley!  You're in charge.  Make me proud my brotha.”


Stanely continued to sit motionless, but shifted his eyes towards Michael.


“All right!” Michael clapped and rubbed his hands together.  “Let's go have a baby!”





End Notes:

Here's Pam's room: http://www.mth.org/Labor%20%26%20Birth.html

Thanks again to my betas kerny and ollie!  I also really appreciate everyone's reviews.  I'm having a lot of fun reliving my labour through Jim and Pam, so I'm glad everyone's having fun with me!

The Waiting Game by Beeswax
Author's Notes:

I started this story a million years ago while I was on summer vay-cay and real life has distracted me from it.  But, all of the amazing new fanfic here and the impending birth of Baby Halpert has kicked my butt into gear to finish this sucker.  My goal is to finish it by Thursday, March 4th, so there will be a frequent updates happening.

I'd love for everyone to go back to the beginning and read this, but I'll fill you in if you just want to jump right in.  Pam's water has broken at around 35 weeks and she and Jim have rushed to the hospital to get the dealio about what's going on.  Oh, and Michael and Dwight are on their way to "help".

So, I present to you Chapter 5 of "Together We Are Three". 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Constant noise and rhythm were circling around Pam.  The drip drip of her IV, a repetitive beep coming from the fetal monitor wrapped around her rotund belly and the unyielding tremor of Jim's nervous leg knocking against the bed.

She placed an firm hand on his knee.  “Stop, please?”

“Sorry,” he anxiously whispered as he shot up and started pacing around the bed.  “It's just...nothing's happening.  I don't know what we should do next.”

“Well, I'm sure the nurse will be in here soon.  Maybe there are some breathing exercises or things we could do to get things going?  I don't know.”  Pam's eyes drifted downwards.

“Maybe it's like the hiccups.  I'll hide around the corner and jump out and scare you into labor,” he said with his hands splayed wide.

“Ha ha. Very funny,” she sighed.

Pam's labor had not progressed at all.  She had been at the hospital for a few hours, but there were no contractions or dilation or any sign that the baby was on it's way.  They were afraid, confused and unsure of what lay ahead of them.

Nurse Liz strolled into the room and broke the scared silence.  She gently placed a thermometer in Pam's ear.

“Temperature looks good.  Now, let's see if there's any action going on here.”  She looked at the print out that measures contractions.  “Tsk. Nothing.  Are you feeling any abdominal pain?”

“Well, I feel a little something around the bottom here.”  Pam cupped her hand around the lower part of her belly.

“Hon, if you describe it as 'a little something', you are no where near labor.  Look, why don't you go for a walk down the hall.  See if maybe you can get things started.”

“Can I walk with all this stuff on me?”

“Oh yeah.  The IV has wheels and I can unhook you from the baby belt for a while.”

Jim and Nurse Liz worked together to free Pam from the monitor and bed.  She shuffled through the doorway with one hand on the rolling IV stand and the other on Jim's arm.  They quietly creeped up one side of the long hallway and both became lost in their own thoughts.

Jim linked his arm with Pam's and tried to think of something...anything that he could do to help her through this. Usually flowers, picking up her favorite snack or a movie did the trick when she was having a bad day, but none of those would work here.  This was more than a bad day.  It was a good day, that would have some scary stuff happen before the good.  As he continued to support her arm and put one foot in front of the other, he realized that he was simply terrified of seeing her in pain and not being able to help her.

Pam's thoughts would not allow her to drift into fear.  She plodded along and counted the number of squeaks that the wheels of the IV cart made as it rolled along the oatmeal-colored linoleum floor.  She wondered which wheel was making the squeak and if it was maybe more than one wheel.  Maybe it was a pair of wheels that were working together to make one unified squeak.  They had reached the end of the hall and were just about to round the corner and follow down the other side when a guttural scream stopped them dead in their tracks.

“What the hell was that?” Jim fearfully whispered.

All the color had drained from Pam's face as she stared ahead.  “I...I have never heard a sound like that come out of another human being.”

“That was human?  Wow, I would have definitely pegged it as--”

“NO!  PLEASE!  JUST GET.  IT.  OUT!!!!” the terrified female voice wailed from behind a closed door just down the hall.

They looked at each other, wide-eyed and stunned.

“Oh, God. I...I'm not going to freak out like that, am I?”  Her voice trembled as she white-knuckled the IV stand.

Jim and Pam remained frozen as a succession of moans and shrieks were followed by the gravelly screech of a newborn baby.

The fear that her mind pushed aside earlier now drowned her thoughts.

What if everyone hears me scream like that?  How will I be able to take care of a baby?  What if I can't stop her from crying?

“I don't think I can do this.  I...need to go sit down.”

“Yeah, yeah...let's rest for a bit,” Jim said hurriedly as he guided her quickly down the hall and back into her room.  Just as they reached the threshold of the door, they heard a bellowing singing voice from the end of the hall.

“You're having my baby! What a lovely way to say how much you love me!  Pammmmeeelllaaaaa!”

“No...no, please no, Jim.  Get rid of him?  I can't handle him right now.”

“You just get into bed, I'll take care of it.”  Pam waddled as quickly as she could into her room as Jim stood guard in the doorway.

“Whooooooo's your daddy!?  Jim is!”  Michael slapped Jim on the back and laughed.  “So, did I miss anything yet?  Is she crowning?”  Michael peeked around Jim's shoulder.

“If she is,” Dwight added, “Make sure she gets an episiotomy.  Trust me, it's for her own good.”

“Dwight...God...Pam doesn't need a lobotomy, she just needs help getting that bouncing baby Halpert out!  So, what's the deal?”

Jim shook his head.  “The deal is that Pam does not want to see anyone right now.  Look, guys, I will call you if anything happens.  It's just best if you two...go. Now.”

“Go? No way! I want to be the first one to kiss that little girl on the forehead, for good luck,” Michael beamed.

“Make sure they've cleaned the blood and afterbirth off first,” Dwight scoffed.

“Okay! Thanks again for dropping by guys,” Jim said as he nudged Michael and Dwight down the hall.

“Alright, alright,” Michael sighed.  “Look, we will be in the cafeterium downstairs.  I had the best lasagna here when I visited Meredith a few years ago, so if you get bored or hungry, come on down.  Oh, and let us know about the baby, too”

Jim slammed his hand on the automatic door opener and ushered the two men out into the hallway.  He headed straight to the nurse's station and spotted Liz on the computer.

“Uh, Liz?”

“Yeah...Jim. What's up?”

“Did you see those two gentlemen I just escorted down the hall?”

“Yes,” she answered hesitantly.

“Is there any way we can get a psychiatric hold on them so they won't come up here again?”

“Uh, I don't think so, but I'll make sure they stay in the friends and family room outside of the ward,” she said with a smile.

Thank you,” Jim sighed.

End Notes:

Thanks so much to my beta Kerber for her lovely eyes looking over this story.  That terror-filled stroll down the hallway was a moment I had while waiting for labor to start.  It was quite the wake-up call about what was going to happen :-)

Reviews are like Jim Halpert holding a newborn baby. *swoon*

Just Breathe by Beeswax
Author's Notes:

Thanks to everyone that has been reading and reviewing this little story.  Thanks also to my beta Kerber for taking time out of her Olympic Hockey schedule to look over this chapter ;-)

The excitement about the delicious JAM baby arriving is really spurring me on here (along with your lovely reviews).  This is a short chapter, but it will get the ball rolling.  Enjoy.

Disclaimer:  I own none of these characters.

Pam awoke to the sound of rain pelting against her hospital room window.  It was late afternoon and she was happy to have finally gotten some sleep.  Two other women screamed and heaved their way through birth that afternoon and she was beginning to feel like her turn would never arrive.  Nurse Liz came in every hour to check on her, but there were still no contractions or dilation.  Her water continued to soak the bed which was both uncomfortable and embarassing.  The rise and fall of her bulging belly under the sheets taunted her and she wondered if this waiting game was worse than the pain of labor.

At the bottom of her bed were two very large feet, crossed at the ankles.  Her eyes swept down the long, lanky legs to find Jim sleeping in a chair.  His late afternoon stubble cast a shadow across his face and his lips were slightly parted.  She smiled slightly before poking him with her blanketed toes.

“Hey, quit sleeping on the job,” she joked as he groaned, stretched and sat up taller.

“Hmmm? Yeah, I guess I dozed off there,” he said through a yawn.

“Yeah, we both did. The screamers took a break long enough for us to rest.”

Jim chuckled as he rose from his chair and gingerly placed his hands on Pam's stomach, carefully avoiding the monitor strapped around it.  “Such a trouble maker, and not even born yet.”

“The doctor is supposed to come in soon.  Maybe he can tell us what's happening.  This waiting is driving me crazy.”

After two brief games of “Would You Rather...”, Dr. McKendrick waltzed in to examine Pam.

“Nope, nothing.”

Pam sighed, “Really?”

“Yep.  This little critter just doesn't want to come out.  I think we may need to help things along.”

“What does that mean?” Jim asked.

“We'll give you some pitocin.  It's a medication that induces labor.  It'll just be added to your IV and hopefully that will get some contractions going.”

Liz added a bag to Pam's IV and checked the readings on the monitor beside her bed.  "Well, this little guy sure does have a strong heartbeat."

"Oh, it's a girl, actually," Pam explained.

"Really?" Liz said.  "With this heartbeat it looks like a boy to me."

"Huh.  Nope, they said from what they could tell, it was a girl," Jim added.

"Well, they would know," Liz said with a smile as she patted Pam's leg and left.

Jim shrugged his shoulders and sat down on the side of the bed.  He silently took her hand and brought it to his lips.

“Soooo, this could actually be happening soon,” Pam said anxiously.

“Yeah. How are you doing with all of this?”

“I don't know.  Scared?”  Her voice quivered.

“Well, I don't know how much help I'm going to be, but I am right here.  Whatever you need, ask.  If you need to scream, grunt or even feel like punching me, I can take it.”

Pam smiled through her tears and thought about how lucky she was to have this man by her side.  It felt like she was standing on the edge of a cliff, ready to jump, but Jim was there with a parachute.  He stood up, pulled her into a hug and a shiver ran through her.  Bringing this baby into the world was going to be frightening and painful, but she could do this.

Their quiet moment was soon shattered with a whistle coming through the doorway.

“Hey you two, get a room.”

“Hi Michael,” Pam said with a hint of frustration as Jim pulled away from her.

“So, what's the news?  Where's my baby?”  Michael asked while advancing his hands towards her belly.  Jim quickly blocked his target and added, “No, nothing yet, but we're hoping soon.”

“It's kind of sad, Jim,” Dwight said mockingly, “My mother had me in less than an hour.  I ripped her wide open, but at least I didn't keep her waiting around like this one.”

“Lovely,” Pam responded.  She felt a slight tightening across her stomach as Michael perched himself on the end of her bed.

“Well, Pammy-mammy, I got you some things in the gift shop to maybe get things going.” Michael held up a plastic bag.  “First, candy.  I got Snickers, Mounds, Pay Day...all your favorites.  You must be starving.”

“Michael, I'm on a clear liquid diet.”

“Well, do they have blender around here? I'm sure a Snickers can be liquified.  Anyways, I also have a teddy bear...nice to cuddle with.”

As Michael pulled a succession of gifts and items out of his plastic bag, the ache in Pam's stomach became increasingly more uncomfortable.  Jim was trying to stop Dwight from rifling though the cabinets full of supplies and it became harder and harder to concentrate on what Michael was rambling on about.  Slowly, Michael's voice slipped away as her stomach began to squeeze and roll with pain.

"I...Michael...you need to go.  Please.”

Jim rushed to Pam's side.  “Contraction?” Pam nodded vigorously.

“Okay, guys, you need to leave.  Things are happening here and Pam needs some space.”

“Oh!  This is awesome!  Look, there are a couple of seats over there. We'll sit there and be as quiet as a couple of churchmices.  Don't worry, I'll turn my head at the gory parts.”

“Michael, seriously man, you need to go.”

“Hello gentlemen,” Nurse Liz called while coming in.  “Family only here right now.”

“But we are family!”  Michael pleaded.  “I was almost Pam's father.”

“Uh huh, right.  Let me show you both to our friends and family lounge.  C'mon.”

Liz linked arms with both men and quickly led them out of the room.

Pam was clutching the metal rail of the bed as she tried to grapple with the wave of pain.  After a few seconds the contraction subsided and she fell against her pillow.

“Wow. That was...”

“Intense?”

“Yep.”

“Okay, what do you need?  Water?  Ice chips?  A back rub...”  Pam suddenly sat up and Jim's voice was lost in the pain of another contraction.  This one started at the top of her stomach and released a rippling pain that radiated all the way down to the inside of her thighs.  She wanted to scream, yell, call out Jim's name but her voice was trapped in the swirl of agony that held her body hostage.  Instead, she locked eyes on him and let her tears flow.

“Pam? Pam, oh God, Pam,” Jim's voice shook.  His heart was breaking for her and seeing her in this amount of pain was killing him.  This was so big, bigger than anything he's ever been a part of, but he stared back into her pain-filled eyes and realized now was not the time to lose it.

“Okay, Pam?  Just look at me. You can do this. Look right here...just look at me Pam, and breathe.”










End Notes:

Ouch.

The Time has Come by Beeswax
Author's Notes:

Well, this is it, my final chapter.  Thank you to all of you who have been reading this story.  It has been a wonderful experience writing this and using bits of my journey to motherhood and weaving it into a story for Jim and Pam.  This has also kept me away from evil JAM baby spoilers so I can go into tomorrow's episode surprised!  Oh, and seriously, can you believe it?  Jim and Pam are having a baby tomorrow!

Just a warning, there is some salty language (basically just in the first sentence) and some honest descriptions of birth.  Nothing graphic, but it's no picnic in the park.

Thanks again to Kerbs for beta'ing this even while she was sick and feverish.  That's true love ;-)

Whoever said contractions were like intense period cramps was a fucking liar.

Pam's body was in shock.  She had been in pain many times in her life.  Burns, cuts, scrapes.  Hell, she had even broken her leg when she was 9.  What her body was going through at this moment had no frame of reference.  Every inch of her ached and battled for the baby that was about to come into the world.

She had reacted very well to the pitocin.  Too well.  Liz had to lower the dose to slow things down and this gave Pam a small break and some breathing space.  But when the contractions did come, there was no yelling or screaming as the pain took over her mind, body and voice.  Her only constant, the anchor that kept her tethered to reality, was Jim.  His right hand became the most important piece of equipment to help her through the contractions.  As each wave came, they locked hands and she transferred her body's distress to him.  At times she worried that his fingers might break, but he never uttered a cry.  He spoke when she needed to hear words of encouragement and silent when she craved peace.

Jim knew Pam did not want an epidural.  She read something about a woman being paralysed after having one and also saw the size of the needle they used and that sealed the deal.  But seeing her writhe in pain and look at him like a trapped animal made him feel like they should both be numb from the waist down.  Pam was in between contractions when Nurse Liz asked her to decide on an epidural.  She looked at him, confused and conflicted.

“I don't know, how dilated am I now?”

“5 centimeters,” Liz stated.

“So five more...,” she sighed.

“Yep.”

She looked at Jim, her eyelids heavy, hair matted with sweat around her face and brow.  He reached out and cupped the side of her face with his hand.  His thumb softly stroked her cheek as they looked at each other for guidance.

“I will support whatever you decide, Pam.  You have to go with your gut on this one.  You have been amazing so far without anything.”

Pam continued to lay collapsed against her pillow and steeled herself to make a decision.  The thought of a large needle going in between the disks of her spine frightened her more than the next contraction.  Also, she had read somewhere that it slowed down labor.  Pam wanted to get through this as quickly as possible.  She looked back into Jim's eyes.  Again, those eyes.  Those eyes that had made her laugh, challenged her about her choices and declared his undying love.  Those eyes which were now holding her up and supporting her through pain.

She could do this.  With Jim by her side she could do anything.

“I can do 5 more,” she whispered.

“Okay...okay,” he said as he leaned into her, placing a delicate kiss on the top of her head.

The break in contractions soon ended.  Pam huffed and curled her body onto her side and once again gripped Jim's hand.  Each breath-catching moment was shortening as her body and the medication worked in tandem to bring on a fast and furious labor.  Low, thick moans spilled from her mouth.  Contractions were falling on top of each other and sweat dripped from every pour.  She rocked and twisted inward when the hardest one hit.

“Pam?! Pam?” Nurse Liz spoke loudly.  “I'm going to check you now to see how far along you are.  I think it might be time.”

Pam showed no signs of hearing Liz as she ravaged through her contraction.  Jim went close to her ear and whispered, “Pam.  You need to go on your back.  Liz is going to check you, okay?”

Pam could hear his voice, but it was muffled and distorted, as though she was hearing it from underwater.

“Bees, Liz is going to check you.”

Hearing her nickname brought her back into the room.  She slowly rolled flat on her back as Liz examined her.

“Wow, okay, you are 10 centimeters and the baby is in position.  Gabby, can you call Dr. McKendrick?”  The assisting nurse left the room quickly as Liz went to the other side of Pam and held her hand.

“Pam?  It's time to start pushing.  You're going to have to listen hard now.  Dr. McKendrick is going to let you know when to push and when to stop.  You are going to feel the urge to constantly push, but the doctor will guide you, okay?”

Dr. McKendrick soon came into the room dressed in scrubs.  “All right, so I hear we're ready to push this little one out.  Let's get things prepped Liz.”

Jim watched Liz ready the bassinet area and the reality of what was happening hit fast and hard.  This was it.  In minutes there would be a baby in this room.  Their baby.  He continued to hold Pam's hand and began to tremble.

“Okay, Pam?” Dr. McKendrick asked calmly, “I want you to pull your legs all the way back.  Jim, Liz, help her out.  That's it, knees right back to her ears, and give me a nice, slow push.”

“That's it, oh God Pam, you are doing so well.  You can do this,” Jim softly praised in her ear.

“That's it...that's it.  Great,”  Dr. McKendrick approved.  “Okay, now stop for a minute.”

Pam exhaled and turned to make eye contact with Jim.  Her face was brick red and glistening.  There was so much she wanted to say but the words could not form on her lips.  How it hurt and it burned and how she wished he could take just take over for a bit.  He swept a stray strand of hair off her forehead.  “She's almost here.  You are doing amazing.”

“Alright, another big one Pam.  Let's go,” the doctor asked.

The next ten minutes was full of sweat, burning and fury.  She could feel the end was near, but was so focused on following the doctor's orders and throwing her whole body into pushing.

The pressure and the pain was at its peak when the doctor exclaimed, “The head is out Pam.  Just one more push and we'll get the shoulders out.”

She took a deep breath in and channeled the last of the strength and power in her to push her baby into the world.  The shoulders slipped out and she went limp.  A wave of relief washed over her body.

Slowly, quietly, she attempted to catch her breath and then she heard Jim's voice tremor, “Oh my God!  Oh my...Pam.  Look!”

She looked down between her legs and saw a small, red, wriggling baby.  As she swept her eyes across every inch of the new life in front of her, her gaze rested on one spot.

“Oh, my...” she gasped.

Nurse Liz was the first one to say it.  “Well, it looks like you've got another surprise with this delivery.  It's a boy!”

“A boy?!” Jim cried while running his hand through his hair, staring at his new son.

“A Benjamin,” Pam quietly beamed.  Their eyes met through tears and he nodded.  “We have a Benjamin, Jim.”

They had talked about a boy's name early on in her pregnancy and had settled on Benjamin for a boy and Emily for a girl.  But when they heard from their ultrasound technician that it was a girl, the little boy that they pictured drifted away and was replaced with an Emily.  It had been months since they had settled on the name Ben, but with one look at their little boy they knew it was a name that was destined for him.

His loud wail broke their silent disbelief and Pam began to giggle as Liz took him to the side to get weighed and cleaned up.

“6 pounds, 10 ounces,” she declared.

“Wow, that's bigger than we thought,” Pam said with amazement.

“Just think if he was left in there another 5 weeks...,” Jim wondered.

“No, I do not want to think about that,” she grimaced.

“Well Mommy, are you ready to hold your son?” Liz gingerly placed baby Ben in Pam's arms.

“Yes.”

“Hi Ben,” she quietly squealed.  “Oh God, Jim, look at him.”  Tears streamed down her face and she could not tear her gaze away from him.

Him.  A boy.  It was a surprise and it wasn't.  Of course they were expecting a girl.  The technician said, “If I were to say what it is, I would say it's a girl.”  That sounded like “It's a girl” to them.  But to see him cradled in Pam's arms squirming and blinking it was like there was never any doubt that he was meant to be.  For Jim, it was love at first sight...again.

“He's beautiful,” Jim's voice cracked as he reached out to stroke the small lock of hair peeking out of the top of the blanket.  “Oh man, I think he has my hair.”

They both burst into laughter.  Minutes ago Pam was grappling with the worst pain she had ever experienced, but now her body tingled with joy.  She gazed into the helpless eyes of her baby boy and felt euphoria and a peace within her that she had never felt.  It was as if a call had been answered and she had finally found her place in the world.  She was a mother, now and forever.  Her time had arrived.






 

End Notes:

Awww.  I know, it's cheesy and mushy, but so am I.

So the boy-girl switcheroo is exactly what happened to me.  I brought my little pink clothes to the hospital for my baby girl that I was told I was having, only to have a Benjamin greet me when I pushed my last push.  Life is full of wonderful surprises.

Now, do I need reviews?  Absolutely not.  I like reviews.  I enjoy reviews.  I have to have reviews.  But it's not like a compulsive need to have reviews.  Like my need to be praised.

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=4662