If you are an archive member and would like to join these forums please contact us and we'll send you an invite

The Writing Advice Thread

We all have different reasons for writing fanfic but typically we all are at least aiming to learn and improving our writing. Here let's discuss the trick of the trade, both for writing fanfic and just writing in general! Post resources you have found useful, tips and tricks you have learned over the years and if you're less experience don't be afraid to ask for advice!

Comments

• For my first contribution here are three things to check out:

Fanfic 101: A collection of lectures and essays, this has lots of great tips for beginner writers with fanfic writing in mind, and I also thing more experiences writers will get something meaningful from here also.

Words to replace "said", except this actually helps: You may have seen other lists of words to use in place of "said", but I doubt you've seen one arranged quite this amusingly :grin:

On Fanfic and Emotional Continuity: Not necessarily "writing advice" but this is a long and interesting about fanfiction as it's own genre
  • PCC recently stated in the shoutbox they wanted to write but had not ideas or plot bunnies. I offered a few and they responded they would appreciate them. Rather than filling up the shoutbox, I figured this was a more appropriate venue. So PCC, or anyone else who'd like them here you go. A few plot bunnies or story prompts to get the creative ideas flowing.

What was going through Jim's head when he tossed the umbrella on the seat of the cab and ran back to Pam in "Paper Airplanes."

Instead of texting Jim during Dawalii, Pam calls him till he answers. Probably been done but new spins are always fun.

The first time Cece and Philip come into contact with the Doc.

Dwight explaining to the office how he is self-circumcised.

Pete and Erin's first date.

An AU where an understanding Roy figures out Pam has a thing for Jim and he is the one to call off the wedding.

JAM in any number of different time periods. Civil War, Colonial Era, Medieval times, etc.

Rather than Pam finding her courage early, Jim gets over himself early and gets together quicker with Pam after he hears she's called off her wedding.

I'm sure there are many more ideas out there that people can come up with. List any you have as well if you like. Always good to see new ideas.
  • Thanks Warrior :) Definitely helpful