Karen Knew by Trish Tinkerbell
Summary: Jim and Pam were soulmates but this journey for each other treaded through many broken hearts. This is one Karen story who just landed in wrong place at the wrong time.
Categories: Jim and Pam Characters: Jim, Jim/Pam, Karen, Pam
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 3346 Read: 3900 Published: March 01, 2021 Updated: March 09, 2021
Story Notes:
My husband has been fascinated by Karen's mind space since I have written about Jim and Pam in my other story. Though This one is going to be more like sequential one-shots than a story.

1. Chapter 1- The Risks by Trish Tinkerbell

2. Chapter 2 - J for Jinx by Trish Tinkerbell

3. Chapter 3 - The Promised lies by Trish Tinkerbell

4. Chapter 4 - It was coming by Trish Tinkerbell

5. Chapter 5 - The truth(s) by Trish Tinkerbell

Chapter 1- The Risks by Trish Tinkerbell
Author's Notes:

While I am still working on the update on the next chapter of my fic- I wish you would, this is just something running in my head which I though might as well post. Probably this will declutter my mind to work upon my debut story.

Disclaimer: Office and its characters are properties of their creator  and I have no claim whatsoever in how Awesome it is.


                                                            Chapter 1- The Risks

 

 

She is not risk aversive. She takes pride in the idea that she is risk calculative. She didn't drop the idea of Scranton when she heard of the merger. She carefully contemplated whether this is a good move, considering she had never heard of the town until the announcement of transfer of assistant manager from there.


 Yes Jim's nudge just affirmed her plans. She knew she could continue to build on her professional competence and this could be the interim until she is ready for a higher title.


There must be some lacking with respect to her experience that interfered with her getting the assistant regional manager title before Jim took it over. She wasn't pleased at the news that time but he has started to grow on him. If she is completely honest with herself, he seems to be her latest crush and she is optimistic to turn it into more.


It was pretty interesting what happened that night he dropped the very drunk Jim at his place. He kissed her with passion while she was just going for “Good night, see you tomorrow”. It's not like she minded but he didn't say anything the next day and she is not the type of girl who clings to drunk kisses and overanalyzes. While he didn't say anything, he acted more pleasant and if she could say... flirty... with her. But nothing concrete to say for sure but you never know right. She won’t throw away the professional ‘decorum’ because she is well.. .may be a bit ..smitten. 


She is now looking forward to the move now. There seems to be interesting prospects. She can make more friends, work her way up in corporate and maybe something more can happen in... relationship arena.


There is obviously stress of moving two states down from home, to this new place she has never heard of, and all these new people and potential competition at the new office. And there will be Jim who thinks it's not that bad there. And she feels he seems to be worth the risk to try this new.


End Notes:
Feedback is precious and I am going to request, like usual, to R&R to each of you who feels this little thing has potentials to be more. 
Chapter 2 - J for Jinx by Trish Tinkerbell
Author's Notes:
After getting so much encouragement from my fellow writers and reviewers, here is the next one to delve more into what Karen's brain saw in Jim. 

                                                                     Chapter - 2  'J' for JINX

                                          

She didn't believe in the superstitions. But after Jason and John, she can't help but wonder if Jim is also like those guys who were threatened by her ambition. Who would want to act more like a woman than a professional. 

Who wouldn't appreciate how straight forward she is. Who was commitment phobic to the point that she had to set up dinner dates and movies each time. And move things at an excruciating slow pace because they can't decide what they want in the relationship and keep fighting her for control.


Jim seems different. He is good at what he does, made it to A.R.M already and didn't mind working extra hard. She remembered how he would stay until later and would first to sign up for new assignments Josh would ask for. He did seem to be a kiss-ass earlier but now she knows he is funny and sweet and looks like he is into her too. And him being so tall and handsome isn't a bad thing either. It's not  strange that he wants to keep the relationship a little hush since he doesn't want to become part of gossip. Who would want to be the topic of discussion among this group of crazies. She still can't believe that Michael Scott turned out to be a real person and not just a figment of Josh's imagination when he was recollecting those ridiculous stories from their company convention.


She is anyway not one of those who likes to parade her boyfriend around to people, mentioning them in every other conversation. That's Phyllis' style, definitely not hers. She keeps it simple and quiet, and Jim prefers it too. They aren't hiding, they are just keeping it low key which makes sense.


And it's not like people don't know. Pam does and she has seen them exchanging gifts and the warm hug and looks like understood what it is, unlike Kelly who is a bit...Loud. Pam didn’t ask anything and just smiled which seemed a bit tight, which In her Karen’s opinion is way better than Angela’s scowl and Meredith’s raised eyebrows. 


Pam turned out to be the normal one of the lot. Karen was glad she partnered with her for the Christmas Party, it was so much fun to finally loosen up a bit and putting Angela in her place was a nice bonus too. She even helped her with Jim's situation and now her dorky boyfriend (if she could call him that) isn’t freaking out anymore and she will have a place which doesn’t smell like hotel laundry. Guess she has really made it work, she is doing well in sales, has a steady going relationship and perhaps made a friend too.


End Notes:
This one may appear to some as stark contrast to Jim's actual character but I do feel that Karen saw him like this before missile named Pam fell on their lil bubble. I am going to make another lame request for R&R since I am a super sucker for feedback. 
Chapter 3 - The Promised lies by Trish Tinkerbell
Author's Notes:

Another one in my short chapter series. I hope this one receives as much love as the earlier ones.

 

                                                   Chapter - 3 The Promised Lies

 

Karen could tell that the little sandcastle she built has started crumbling under the weight of his lies. He said it was just a crush but Phyllis said “he was hung over Pam for a very long time”


But he promised that he is happy that she is there and how things are going with them.


He said  it was just a kiss and didn’t mean anything but she saw how Pam’s face drained when she recounted the same to her. She didn’t give away any more than reaffirming that it's Karen who is going out with Jim and not her but why it sounded like she was ..confirming?


He never talked to her except the perfunctory greetings, kept his distance and went home with Karen on most nights. And yet the laughter he shared with her after Andy’s explosion felt so much more intimate than all those moments spent waking up beside each other at her apartment. 


But he did seek Karen out first for the prank and then Ryan, only to be left with Pam to execute the master joke. Well, in his defense Andy definitely was being a total pain in the A**.  She was his third choice, the afterthought and the only option after the professionals in the office had better business to attend. She is a receptionist, obviously she would have relatively more time to spare. Yet the glances and brief grazing of their hands felt much more sensuous than caress they shared on those nights.



Karen may confess, after a drink or two perhaps, that his admission of having feelings for Pam somehow was hurtful but not a... shock. She may even spill that she was not as blind to his faraway looks and reserved smiles and the reluctance to let things be more.. Intense. 

But clearly, he had been burned badly, and they talked about what it really was and he did say that nothing ever happened. There was clearly nothing to feel “threatened” about, like he said. 


He gave her enough reassurances after she wanted to talk about everything in detail. He stayed up with her, going over every little thing in his ‘past” which was barely much and about their ‘present” which still has so much potential. He was with her night after night, discussing how he didn’t particularly lie to her, he just didn't tell her something so small.. So insignificant, right ?


So this time, Karen promised him that it’s just a rough patch and they have to ride it through together. She believes in this as much as he does and they can work on this and they can make this work. They went together as each other’s date for their co-worker’s wedding, danced together, sang karaoke and had a blast. He is onboard obviously because he is now even extra cautious to avoid Pam and of course it has nothing to do with the warehouse guy she went home with that night. 



The night of that stupid Art show, they ordered Pizza for a stay in because apparently that’s the only Italian (food) he can tolerate. He didn’t seem to be at all interested in going anywhere, much less that silly exhibit, didn’t even mention it once and it has nothing to do with her tearing down flyers around the office. She doesn’t think he didn’t know considering Pam spoke to everyone in the office about it, and yet when she for dinner together- her treat, he was game like always.


And now Pam is dating that guy and looks happy and Jim seems to act like the receptionist doesn’t exist . Everyone has moved on, everyone is happy and we all could be adults about it. Just sometimes, she wants to believe that his smile is real and her words are too.


End Notes:
Two more after this. We are getting close to end of Karen's chapter in Jim and Pam's life. R & R because I promise I love each of them and its not a lie. 
Chapter 4 - It was coming by Trish Tinkerbell
Author's Notes:
It is different from what I had in mind. It's shorter but I hope it captures the essence of Karen's feelings.

Chapter -4 It was coming 


The party was fun, well almost fun because Jim didn’t like her prank as much. Which is so weird because he is a self -proclaimed prankster and yet he didn’t find it funny. Well it was probably because he is not the jealous type. Karen has to work on her jokes, since her boyfriend wasn’t laughing much these days. But on a brighter side, he managed to hang out with the CFO, and that was the perfect part of the night. The ambition and aspiration, that’s what Karen lived for.


In other news, Pam’s boyfriend of 4 months attacked Jim. And Jim was upset but didn’t want to press charges and everyone in the office looks amazed at the turn of events but nobody felt how Bizarre it was. She had heard enough people gossiping about how sad it is that Roy went crazy on Jim, but nobody seems to talk about why exactly he would do that?? Jim was not cheating on me with Pam, damn he barely looked at her and yet, here we are.


It’s like being in the twilight zone. She is present right there but still not part of the reality of this place. It’s like there is always something going on and she just can’t pinpoint what it is and why. 

 


She isn’t stupid. She knows Jim underplayed his whole “thing” about Pam. If an ignorant and slow person like Kevin has noticed Jim, making rounds at Pam’s desks for hours, and what did he say..? For years, yes, clearly there was more to the story. And that whole Michael fiasco, man that guy just can’t quit it. But she has to be a bit grateful for those Victoria Secrets indulgence. That was a nice weekend and it was their 6 months mark, working together in world of nutcases. There’s a new circus everyday.


 And the other day quite literally, he was ready to jump off the roof. Well honestly, in that moment even Karen was secretly hoping he does and perhaps then she would know that it’s not a dream and things would make real sense. Well that didn’t happen and that’s a nice thing she reckons but what did happen was after weeks of being strangers, these two standing too close, talking too low and ceasing the day by rescuing their idiot of the boss. It’s not like she is mad at them for working out a way to get Michael down, it’s just the ease with which they executed it. She can’t ignore how they exchanged barely few words but worked together so smoothly, like they were on it from the beginning. She can’t believe that of all the things, this is what she envied the most- their ease. Something she had been trying to feel with him since...well to be honest, since the beginning of their ‘relationship’. 


And she soon learned the big painful secret. Finally, the layers of this convoluted story of Jim and his past with Pam unveiled.


And Pam turned out to be real bitch after all. Karen was never threatened by this plain and basic girl but she has to give it to her, she turned out to be more than that. She called off her wedding ??? and she has decided to tell him this now ?? Why now ?? and why in front of everyone ?? and her !!!! Why does everyone at this place make a big show of every little thing? God she needs a drink. 


And why does Jim has to be the reason, out of all the other reasons she had. She saw them hugging and he said that they are friends and she supportively smiled. So why does he look so lost and confused? She had to do something before...before she lose her sanity in this madhouse. Karen is many things but not a person who would give up without a fight.


End Notes:

One more to go from here. I am super excited. It's going to be posted on Monday :)

Keep the love flowing people. Loving the feedback so far, you all are sweethearts. 

Chapter 5 - The truth(s) by Trish Tinkerbell
Author's Notes:

Special thanks to all my reviewers - grc73Dernhelmwarrior4  ; New Hogfan and Once.

 

 Dernhelmepj27grc73New Hogfanwarrior4 - for the Jellybeans.


I have been able to finish this story only because of your immense support. Thank you for taking out time and being so wonderful.

My apologies for posting it later than I promised, real life interrupted my Jam daze.

Hope you enjoy the last coach in this train of thoughts. 

Chapter-5 

The Truth (s)


Well the plan was already set in motion, they both were going to interview in New York, on her insistence and his agreement. While Jim was now..civil with Pam, he was not too friendly and that was perfect for Karen. Yet she could not take any more chances and made up her mind. She asked him if he wants to make a weekend out of this trip to NYC and he was game and Karen was pleasantly surprised. This is it, their first time away and she was going to make this one count.


The ride was fun and she, almost, convinced him that this could be their chance to get out of Scranton for good. After all what’s there in that small city full of..unimportant people, insignificant memories and…..unfinished feelings.


The night was better than she imagined. They did a lot of bar hopping and Jim seemed to be enjoying himself.. It’s working, she had finally managed to get Jim out of that city, out of state- both literally and figuratively. He was smiling throughout and they were having a good timeWell to be completely honest, he didn’t laugh once throughout. He smiled but never laughed, not like how he cackled with Pam and Karen didn't remember if he ever, with her. This bothered her a bit but she wanted to take baby steps and not make a big deal out of it. They are here and everything is going to change tomorrow. Big day !!


Jim didn't sleep all night, kept tossing and turning that she almost had an urge to ask him to take another room. But she asked him gently what it was and he said it’s just nerves. A lie slipped so apparent that Karen lost the will to argue. Jim Halpert, who never took his job seriously, always slacking off, was not even as thrilled to interview is restless to be promoted in this paper company. Who was he kidding ? Well, she for one wanted to get some peace to ensure the interview goes well because stakes were high, too high. 


Dunder Mifflin Headquarters. She was a little anxious, like Jim’s nervousness was rubbing off on her. There was something amiss but she reminded herself that even if she won’t get the promotion herself but Jim does, she would still be amongst the top rankers and she can’t wait for everything to work out. She looked up at Jim and he was smiling still yet felt more for the appearances than for real. She almost wanted to dismiss it as interview jitters but just couldn’t for some reason. She wasn’t ready to ask him what it was and Jan and Michael’s drama had the perfect timing. She made the joke about Jan, hoping for some levity but Jim was not phased. She didn’t see why anyone would feel sympathies for someone as unhinged as Jan, but she didn’t wish to push him. She was feeling a bit suffocated with his difference and the entire facade and left to see her friends to get some fresh air. She was sure it was a brief ‘interlude’ before they could fall back on track.



                                   





At the fountain he looked so happy from the distance that Karen’s heart skipped a beat. Maybe he got selected and Jim is here to share the good news. Perhaps all her doubts were nothing. The smile stayed until he saw her and then he looked..scared. 


And before she could ask him how the interview was, he blurted out that “he can’t do this”. She stalled, feigning oblivion ,asking what he meant. Tears were already stinging her eyes and somehow she knew what’s happening is not going to be pleasant. He said how they might not be the best people for each other and that made her snap. It was exactly the same thing what Pam told Michael during that mall trip. Have they been seeing each other behind her back? Have they been planning this for all this while. But he denied the moment she accused him of cheating. Karen knew he wasn’t lying because he looked alarmed the moment she suggested that. He asked her in a desperate tone to believe him. He could never. And she knew he wasn’t lying. Jim Halpert was many things but not a cheater. He had a torch for the receptionist for God knows how long, but he couldn’t..didn’t sneak around her back. He did look pathetic in his plea to convince her that he never betrayed her.


But he did. Just never behind her back but right in front of her which she was too blind to see or probably too weak to believe. He never got over her and yet asked her to come to Scranton. And now when she was ready to uproot her life yet again for him, he finally had the gall to tell her that it isn’t working. 


She wanted to slap him, hug him, wanted to pretend again that they can move past this but resolve in his eyes was something she has never seen before. This is the passion she was seeking, while they were together, until 2 hours ago.... It feels like a lifetime now. 


She took it out on him, accusing him of being a coward,selfish,ignorant and more but each word felt like it had a boomerang effect. Every little detail of their “lack of relationship” flashed back to her..


And now, after shooing away Jim, she soaked up the reality , like she just woke up from a long drawn dream. Jim was never the guy she was falling for .He was passionate, charming and hard working but all of it was a cover for the yearning of his heart. The moment they stepped foot in Scranton was the day his mask fell and it was all there but just too naive to really see. She should’ve gone with her gut feeling on her first day, when Pam stopped at Jim’s desk falling into this easy banter, her eyes keep gazing up at him while he looked so happy and content.She knew then that there’s a part of Scranton Jim she never met in Stamford. Who knew that a girl like Karen, the sleek professional, would be dumped by a guy like Jim (a slacker and a dork) for a girl like Pam. A part of her felt a bit guilty and petty for thinking of Pam as plain. She was everything (but that).



She cried in that hotel room, for the longest time. She thought she was winning this battle just yesterday, but now she knows that it was never a fight. There was never a trophy, she was just a means to an ending, their happy ending. It was never her story.. 


End Notes:

This was a great experience. I am going to go back working on my other story. I have a little tingling to write an epilogue for this one. Not sure. I may or I may not. Let me know what do you think.

Thanks in advance for R&R. 

This story archived at http://mtt.just-once.net/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=5995