- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Lyrics in this section from "You and Me" by Lifehouse

By morning, Jim was itching for a pickup game instead of a staff meeting, but it’d have to wait. He tossed his gym bag in the car anyway, hoping he could arrange something for after work.

He couldn’t bail on the staff meeting, although he was not looking forward to seeing Karen today. She’d shown up around midnight, drunk and belligerent, trying to bait him into admitting he was in love with Pam. He put up with it for an hour, then walked her home. As they approached her building, he ended it. She just stood there for a minute, silent and cold, then walked away without a word or a backward glance.

When the car started, his iPod started up again. He wondered how Pam’s date went. Was it wrong to hope the guy was a complete ass?

Jim chuckled a little when he realized today would be starting with another power ballad. He never realized Pam was such a fan.

“I don't know why, I can't keep my eyes off of you / All of the things that I want to say just aren't coming out right / I'm tripping on words / You've got my head spinning / I don't know where to go from here…”

At least he wasn’t the only one who was confused.

 

As Jim walked into the office and shrugged out of his coat, he noticed that Karen’s computer was still off. He hadn’t seen her car in the lot either.

Pam looked over at him, smiling a bit uncertainly and hissed, “Michael’s in rare form today. Do something!” She was wearing her hair loose and wavy, and he was almost certain her lavender top was new. He wondered if she’d notice he was wearing a tie she’d complimented.

He walked over to her desk and leaned against the counter, happy for an excuse to get close to her. “What’s he done this time, Beesly?” He noticed the camera crew then. Of course. Damn it.

“He handed me this to copy for the meeting.” She shoved a sheet of paper into his hand, grazing his fingers with hers for a fraction of a second.

Jim scanned the paper, the agenda for the staff meeting. “Our customers are our friends? That is so very wrong.” He sighed. “Oh yeah, I’ll come up with something.” He tapped the counter and straightened up. “I bet Darryl would pull the fire alarm for five bucks.”

“To get out of a staff meeting? Definitely.” Pam giggled. Darryl had no patience for Michael’s antics.

Speaking of people with no patience for Michael, Karen still hadn’t arrived. He really did not want to ask Pam, but he had to. “Hey, did Karen call in?”

Pam’s smile tightened and she nodded. “Yeah. She’s sick.”

Jim took a deep breath, and felt the tension in his shoulders draining away. He lowered his voice, leaning against Pam’s desk again, and said quietly, “We broke up last night. It was … not pretty.” Needing something to do with his hands, he grabbed a jellybean and popped it into his mouth. Buttered popcorn.

Pam tried to frown, but failed. Her eyes were sparkling. “I’m sorry.” A cameraman was still watching them.

“Thanks.” Jim reluctantly walked over to his desk. It was hard to walk away from her today, but the cameras helped.

An IM box popped up on his screen as soon as his computer woke up. At least Michael (and the camera crew) hadn’t figured out how to spy on those yet.

pbeesly: Are you listening to my music?

He smiled, and sat up a little straighter.

bigtuna: So many power ballads, so little time.

bigtuna: How was your “date”?

pbeesly: Are those sarcastic quote marks? Don’t make me sic Mr. Angry Face on you.

bigtuna: I’ll behave. Maybe.

Jim stood up and walked back to the break room as casually as he could. He needed coffee, and maybe she’d follow. He could hope, anyway.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans