- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
You know the drill about how we all love feedback...

The first sensation she was aware of was a strange pulsing sensation behind her eyes, like the kind of flourescent glow that lingers from staring too long at a computer screen in a dark room. Her first move was purely instinctual - one hand passing over her lids, her eyes shut tight as she nestled deeper into her pillow, the fabric like a warm breeze on her skin, which was far too sensitive.

She snuggled deeper into her blankets, suddenly very grateful that she'd sucked it up and spent the money for 600 thread count sheets. It was so worth it now...the morning after her art show had been a miserable failure, when she was still smarting from the sorrow she'd attempted to drown in two thirds of a bottle of wine.

The realizations had begun as something like badges of honor, spiraling all too quickly into a panicked shame that actually made her cheeks burn.

So what if no one came? I did it; that's what matters.

Besides, those images on the wall weren't representative of me; it's not like I put my soul into those drawings.

And Michael.... Say whatever you want about Michael: he really was proud, and he meant it when he said so. Just watching his face while he looked like he was about to cry made it all fade away - the fact that I stood there for three hours waiting for a familiar face when not one appeared. Except Roy. And Oscar and Gil.

Whatever.

....Honesty and courage aren't my strong suits? Seriously? Just what the hell do you know anyway, Gil Forrester? Your lover was closeted for the first three years of your relationship! At least I never hid something like that.

She shook her head as if she'd actually been having the conversation with someone, padding into her kitchen to make a cup of hot tea. She had managed to heat the water, dunk the tea bag, even add Splenda before it came back to her:

...Something about emailing him in a flash of anger and impatience and desire and desperation.

No.

No, no, no, no.

She rushed to the computer, knocking over her desk chair with a loud clatter that sent a potted plant crashing off the side of the desk, potting soil sprinkled across her carpet.

She hardly noticed, hovering awkwardly over her desk, her hand shaking slightly as she impatiently shook the mouse, willing the monitor to blink to life. As she waited the seemingly interminable three seconds, she breathed a silent prayer - more like a mantra - Please tell me I didn't send anything; please tell me I didn't do it.

When the screen flicked on, her heart seemed to stop: Message sent to jim.halpert@dunder_mifflin.org.

"Oh my god." Her voice trembled in the empty apartment as with one hand she fumbled for her toppled desk chair, the other hand sliding the mouse and clicking on her 'sent' folder. When the screen flipped to her sent items, she sank into the chair, both hands covering her mouth.

Four emails.

She'd sent him four emails the night before...all in rapid-fire succession. The fact that she genuinely had very little recollection of what she'd said was absolutely horrifying; the only thing more frightening than not knowing for sure what she'd written was the acute awareness of all the things she wanted to say - and had wanted to say ever since that night in May, the desperation growing so strong at times that she worried it would make her lose all control and do something crazy.

Like this.

When she finally mustered the courage to double click on one of the messages, she deliberately chose the final one, knowing instinctively that she'd worked up to it -- that it was probably the worst. What she hadn't realized that it would be far worse than she'd even imagined.

Even though her head was pounding, she lowered it into her hands anyway, the sobs beginning from deep in the pit of her stomach, leaving a hollow ache in her throat.

She turned off the phone and went back to bed, struggling to just be still - because it hurt to move and it hurt even more to think. After forty-five minutes, she drifted into a troubled sleep, awakening two and a half hours later with swollen eyes and a head that still throbbed. The only consolation was that Roy and Kenny had gone to a basketball game that was two and a half hours away, so they'd planned on staying with a cousin of theirs and wouldn't be coming home until late Sunday night.

When she trudged groggily into her kitchen, she tried to tell herself that this would all be fine; she could tell him the truth - that she was upset and drunk and didn't intend to send those emails.

Yes. That's exactly what I'll do - because it's true; it's not like I'd be lying if I told him that.

By Sunday night - after checking her email nervously every half hour, literally - she had almost talked herself into believing that maybe he hadn't even gotten the emails in the first place; maybe they had gotten lost in cyberspace.

Miracles do happen, right?

---------------

 

Walking into the office Monday morning was like starting all over again; she had no idea how to address it with Jim, how to make things okay. Should she acknowledge it? Deny it? Wait for him to give her some clue, then go from there?

Forty-five minutes passed before he came through those doors (she'd arrived shortly after seven am...just in case), hanging his coat on the rack with an uncomfortable sideways glance in her direction. He didn't dare meet her eyes - and she wasn't sure whether to be grateful or offended.

In reality, she was utterly terrified.

So she said nothing, did nothing, just shuffled the paperwork on her desk, staring at the back of his neck as if she could somehow glean what he was thinking just from the way his hair curled slightly at his collar. The minutes ticked by endlessly while she watched him, her hands damp, stomach contracted painfully. Michael came out to ask him about a sale he'd made earlier in the month; she listened carefully when Jim answered, struggling to detect from his voice what he was thinking.

But he sounded as he always did - affable, his voice deep and smooth.

It was maddening not to know what he was thinking - whether or not he'd gotten those emails. Because he was absolutely unreadable, and try as she might, she couldn't work up the nerve to approach him...no matter how much she tried to convince herself to just do it.

Courage and honesty...not my strong suit. Of course not.

It was a bitter affirmation.

-------------

"Hey."

She whirled around - too quickly - her hands fluttering as she stammered back, "Hey."

He was standing just inside the door, his hands in his pockets, head bowed slightly. Their eyes met and held, but only for a moment; he was quick to look away, and she was grateful because already that shaming heat was stinging her cheeks.

It didn't matter that he'd once been her best friend; it didn't matter that she knew he cared enough about her to never be cruel about something like this.

Didn't matter that he'd once told her the same thing - said he was in love with her.

None of that mattered now because she had the painful suspicion that it was too late.

A protracted silence fell, during which she attempted in vain to summon the courage to look up at him, to smile and offer a breezy goodbye; to return to her desk and just not acknowledge anything. For a fleeting, insane moment, she contemplated claiming she'd had a friend over who had sent the emails - then immediately realized what a stupid, implausible tale that would be.

A faint shudder slipped down her spine as she realized fully for the first time that there was no way around this other than to just face it.

But before she could manage to speak, he suddenly looked up, then blurted without warning, those hazel eyes boring into hers, "Pam, I got..."

She wanted to hold his gaze unwaveringly, but she just couldn't; she had to look away, swallowing hard, cheeks flaming, throat swelling.

His voice was strained, barely more than a whisper: "I mean, do you....?"

Tell him you were drunk; tell him you didn't mean it, that it was a series of stupid, impulsive, inebriated emails - no more than that.

But when she opened her mouth to speak, nothing came out but a strangled, "I..."

Silence fell. She looked away, but in her peripheral vision, she discerned that he was watching her closely. She shifted from one foot to another, but didn't let herself walk away.

When next he spoke, it was throaty, almost a plea - like he was desperate. "I need to know."

As she looked at him - standing there with his back to the door, probably blocking it so that no one (Karen) could wander in - she felt an unexpected surge of anger.

Without even thinking first, she scoffed, "Oh, you suddenly 'need' to know. Right."

He physically drew back, his eyebrows up in surprise. She regretted it instantly, but the ache in her throat was so pronounced that she was too afraid to try to speak, to say what she was feeling: I'm sorry - I'm sorry for so many things, not just what I said.

She could tell from the careful, measured tone of his voice that he was struggling to maintain his control as he asked, "What's that supposed to mean?"

Because she was too afraid to answer the question - because she didn't know how to answer the question - she shook her head in disgust, murmuring, "It doesn't matter."

"Doesn't it?" This time his voice actually cracked, and when she looked up at him again, the slump of his shoulders seemed so familiar; in fact, the deja vu was almost overwhelming.

I'm fine with my choices!

You are?

For some reason, the memory made her angry, so she snapped, "No, it doesn't, Jim."

His name sounded strange on her lips; she realized then that she rarely called him by his first name. It struck her how oddly impersonal it seemed to reference him by his name...so foreign, so formal.

So not them.

The tears sprung to her eyes, hot and unexpected.

When next he spoke, his voice was unbearably gentle, as if he were reading her mind, discerning her every emotion: "Why doesn't it matter?"

She dared to glance up at him, but only for a second; the look on his face intensified the ache in her belly, her nose starting to sting with the effort it took to stave off the tears.

"It just...doesn't." She shook her head, then added, the words just slipping out, "You're with Karen."

He didn't skip a beat. "And you're back with Roy."

Her head jerked up, eyes meeting his through a haze of unshed tears; he seemed to notice them, his head tilting slightly, a pleading expression flickering over his face for a second.

And then he shocked her by shaking his head slightly, eyes never leaving hers as he whispered, "What're we doing?"

She'd seen that look on his face before, had heard that same inflection in his voice: I'm in love with you.

For the first time, she didn't try to shy away from the memory or rationalize it; she didn't attempt to push away the raw emotion that it evoked, nor did she allow herself to minimalize it.

Instead, she closed her eyes, one of the tears that had pooled so precariously spilling down.

She didn't move to wipe it away; all she did was whisper back to him, "I'm sorry."

When she was met with silence, she opened her eyes - hesitantly, fearfully, as if he'd be disgusted by her tears or worse yet, merely indifferent.

Instead, his hands were clenched into fists at his sides, his head tilted, brow furrowed with such obvious concern that she almost gasped out loud.

"Why're you...? What're you sorry for?" He shook his head.

Her smile was so tired. "Everything."

He wasn't smiling - not even close. She felt the pain in her throat intensify when she realized he was trying to blink back tears. "Everything?"

Their eyes met and held again, and she was absolutely positive that he knew the whole truth in that moment - all she wanted, all she'd tried to deny, how utterly destroyed and exhausted she felt after almost a year of running from the thing she wanted most.

So she whispered, sniffling loudly as another tear streaking her cheek, "Not everything."

His eyes followed the path of that tear; she held her breath when he stepped forward, reaching out to gently wipe it away with his thumb, lingering for a second before his hand dropped to his side. In spite of herself, she glanced nervously at the window, but he didn't move his eyes from her.

"Pam..." Again he shook his head, eyes holding hers. "Please...tell me what you're sorry about. I just - I need to know."

The sound of her voice shocked her; the words that came out of her mouth positively stunned her: "I'd rather tell you what I'm not sorry for."

Fear flickered behind his eyes; she wanted so much to reach out and touch his face the way he'd touched hers, but she didn't dare.

She went on: "I'm not sorry that everything got so...complicated with you; I'm not sorry that fell for you even though I was engaged."

His lips parted, eyes widening.

Before he could speak, she silenced him: "I'm not sorry that you told me you were in love with me, because it really made me..."

She sucked in a breath, shaking her head as she took in his familiar face. "...I don't know; I just - you were really brave to do that; you were so... I know how hard that had to be for you."

When he bowed his head, she was again seized by the desire to touch him, to gently raise his chin, to make him look at her -- but he was standing in front of the door, framed by the window.

So she setlled for saying softly, "Please look at me..."

When he did, her eyes closed involuntarily, her hands trembling a little.

But she went on. "I'm not sorry that you kissed me, either, because it...it was what I needed to snap out of that stupid delusional state I was in - telling myself you were just my best friend, and it was -- "

She was aware suddenly that he was staring at her; she blushed, averting her eyes, then thought, No...I'm finishing this.

So she forced herself to look him in they eye again. "I'm not sorry that you transferred, because God, it was such a...such a shock. And I needed it, even though - I mean, I need you to know that, no matter how much I admire you for just putting it all out there and coming clean the way you did, I also think that you put me in a really awful position - "

"I know, Pam; I just -- "

"No - I'm not asking for an apology; I just need to say it." She took in a deep, almost gulping breath. "It wasn't fair that you just dropped that on me with no warning - "

"No warning? C'mon, Pam...." His smile was so sad, wry. "You had to know - are you telling me you didn't know?"

She ignored the instinctive urge to look away, forcing herself to hold his gaze. "Of course I knew. But it wasn't something that I let myself even consider. More than that, though, I didn't know that you were basically giving me an ultimatum that night -- I had no idea that it was all or nothing."

"Pam - "

"No - you can't tell me that I'm wrong here. I had no idea that you'd just disappear if I turned you down; if you'd really been honest - told me that it had gotten to that point - yeah, maybe I'd have reacted differently. But I'm not sure; I was supposed to get married in a few weeks."

"I know."

A silence fell.

"But I'm still not sorry that you did it. And I'm not sorry that I broke my engagement with Roy."

His head snapped up. "But you're - "

"And you're with Karen."

Their eyes held for a long moment.

"Pam - "

"And I'm not sorry I sent those emails, no matter how drunk I was." It was a desperate whisper; she didn't dare look at him as she said the words, but when she braved a glance, the expression on his face said it all.

He was hers; this was it.

Then he asked softly, "Wanna know what I'm sorry for?"

"Okay..."

He tilted his head at her. "I'm sorry that I didn't know about the art show; I'd have been there - no matter what, Pam, I'd have been there. I hope you know that."

Again the tears welled in her eyes. "Yeah..."

A long silence fell, their eyes locked. Then he said, "We've got some stuff to figure out."

"I know."

"But... I think we're gonna be okay." He smiled down at her, just the slightest hint of pride lurking in the corners of his mouth. "What do you think?"

She didn't hesitate. "I think we'll be more than okay."

Again there was a comfortable silence, their eyes locked. She wanted more than anything to take a step forward and press her lips to his...but there would be time for that later.

And that was maybe the most amazing thing of all: They had time now.

His lips twisted into a wry grin then, that old mischievous light behind his eyes. "So...courage and honesty aren't your strong suits, eh?"

The relief was almost intoxicating; she beamed at him. "Not according to Oscar and Gil."

"Mmm." He nodded once, looking at the ceiling thoughtfully before turning his eyes back to her. "Yeah, well, I think I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with them on that one."

 

 



girl7 is the author of 41 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 18 members. Members who liked Distant Dark Places also liked 2492 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans