- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer:  I own nothing.  No infringement intended.
 

Pam arrived at the office and felt refreshed.  She sat up a little straighter in her chair and answered the phone with a smile.  She no longer had the back of Jim's neck to read because he had reclaimed his old desk.  It had recently been vacated by a chastised Ryan and that morning, Jim had asked Michael if he could move.  He had given Pam a little smile as he picked up his box of personal effects and moved them to the next desk over.

They were discreet about their communication because they didn't want anyone getting the wrong idea.

Jim settled into his new digs, logged into his computer and opened an Instant Message window.  A new window popped up on Pam's screen a few seconds later.

JHalpert:  Good Morning

PBeesley:  Hi Jim, how's your day look today?

Their intermittent chatting lasted through lunch and followed along the lines of small talk and what silly things Dwight had been doing.  With the afternoon came the din of sales calls as the office grew busier.  Jim had been on the phone for the better part of the day, and as soon as he had put down the receiver, an IM popped up on his screen.

PBeesley:  Busy afternoon, huh?

JHalpert:  Just paying the bills.

PBeesley:  So, can I call you tonight?

He looked over at Pam out of the corner of his eye without moving his head and smiled.

JHalpert:  How about this:  I have plans with Karen, but I don't think we'll be too late.  So I'll call you... for real this time!

Pam surprised even herself as she read his IM, because even though he mentioned his plans with his girlfriend, she didn't care.  He was still going to make time for her.  She replied, "No problem," and closed the window.

*     *     *     *     *

 

Jim and Karen walked out together, as usual, and headed to her house for dinner.  They had barely spoken all day.  He had been conflicted over the fact that he was getting more from talking to Pam over the last week and a half than he had over the last two and a half months with Karen.  Pam's new attitude and her newfound courage to live without regrets had inspired him to take a deeper look at what was going on with Karen.  It was time to end it, and he had to be the one to do it.  He had thought it through and came to the conclusion that he wasn't breaking up with her because Pam was single, or because he wanted to be with Pam, or because of anything that had to do with Pam.  It was because it wasn't fair to either Karen or him to continue dating when he was just going through the motions.

*     *     *     *    

 

It was nine thirty when her cell phone rang.  Pam had been reading in bed and her eyes were starting to close.  She shook her head back and forth a few times to wake herself up and answered the phone.  It was Jim, of course, and he said he had something important to tell her.

"I wanted you to know that I ended it with Karen.  And I don't want you to think it has anything to do with us talking again or you being single.  It was the right thing to do and I couldn't continue leading her on," he said in one breath.

"I appreciate you telling me," Pam pragmatically replied.  "How did it go?  I imagine she likes to talk things out."

"Yeah, she does, but she didn't put up a fight.  She just said "Ok," and that was it.  I think she knew it was coming.  We haven't been on the best terms lately."

"I know how hard it can be when you're not really interested in a relationship anymore, believe me," she emphasized that last part.  "After a while it gets hard to hide your apathy, granted Karen is probably more perceptive than Roy ever was."

"Yeah, she thought something may have been up after Oscar's "homecoming" party.  You and I were giggling over Andy's hole in the wall and she thought we were a little too friendly.  It took about five nights of long talks to convince her you and I were friends."

"Um, she actually asked me about us.  It was during Phyllis' shower- she said you had told her we kissed, and that it was nothing, but she just wanted to make sure nothing was going on.  I was a little weirded out by it because it seemed like she was checking up on what you told her."

"Wow.  I'm, ah, wow.  I'm sorry she did that.  I know she likes you, but she was definitely threatened by you," he said. 

"Well, I think she was right to feel threatened," Pam paused before she continued.  "It's obvious we care a lot for each other.  You know... I hope you told her our kiss meant nothing because you were trying to reassure her, and not because you were telling the truth."

Jim sighed heavily into the phone as he felt his heart start to beat faster.  "Of course it meant something.  It meant everything.  That was the moment I couldn't take it anymore and had to let you know.  That was the moment when everything changed.  It was completely impulsive and a little bit selfish- I was more concerned with these all consuming feelings than how they would effect your situation.  I was sure you had the same feelings for me, but I didn't even consider what I was asking you to do.  I know this now, and I'm so sorry."

"Oh, Jim.  Don't be.  If that night hadn't happened, I'd probably be miserable- married to Roy, pining for you, completely stuck with the exact opposite of what I wanted.  You planted the idea of a different life in my head.  I just couldn't have given you the answer I wanted to give at the moment you asked."

"I know."

"My feelings for you haven't changed.  I think we're on the same page for the first time ever.  We're just not quite there yet, you know?"  Her voice was soft and smooth.

"Yeah, but we're getting there."

"Mm hmm. So.  I think we should do something fun," she had an idea.

"Okay, what do you have in mind, Beesley?"

"We need to go to a different bar than Poor Richard's.  That sushi place around the corner from there has Karaoke on Thursday nights.  That just happens to be tomorrow, so I was thinking we should go, get our sake on and ‘oke the night away."

"Only if you promise to feature some of those famous dance moves."

"Oh, fine.  It's a date then."

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
More coming- the fiance is here so i can't write more...and i don't want him to know my secret shame!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans