- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
just a short little update, where pam comes to term with some hard truths.

 

It’s another Saturday night and they’re all alone.  Karen’s out with Taylor and friends and it’s Roy’s poker night with Kenny. They sit side by side, an empty pizza box in front of them, the TV tuned to SNL, and it’s the best time they’ve had all week. In between News Update and Laser Cats she turns towards him ever so slightly, “We set a date.”

 

The bottle he had been raising to his lips stops it’s progression before it hits his lips, hovering in mid-air as he manages a casual “Oh? When?”

 

“When did we set it or when is it set for?” she asks with a smirk.

 

“You’re a real smart-ass,” he says as a voice inside him screams, Let it not be too soon.

 

“The fall after yours.”

 

“So not for a while,” and somehow he can relax enough to take a swig from the bottle, even though it’s bitter he takes two gulps.

 

“Yeah not for a while,” she leans her head on his shoulder as Andy points the cat at Jake Gyllenhall but somehow she can’t coax out a smile.

   

On Monday there is a package on her desk. It’s not wrapped in ribbon like the last one; instead it’s the biggest manilla envelope she’s ever seen and it’s so full that it barely closes.

 

Jhalpert: it’s for you, open it

 

Pbees: I’m getting really tired of the presents not being ponies.

 

Jim watches as her look of excitement turns to confusion then to consternation.

 

Pbees: what are these supposed to be?

 

Jhalpert: I don’t think you qualify for getting an MFA if you can’t read

 

Pbees: this is my angry face look up.

 

Jim looks up and the scowl on her face is so funny he has to cover his face to keep from bursting with laughter

 

Jhalpert: I’ve been having them sent to my house since I saw your painting; I know you’ve done two more. That’s a pretty good addition to a portfolio, at least according to the pamphlets.

 

Pbees: how many of these have you read?

 

Jhalpert: too many. Lets just say I’m rooting for the ones in the top half

 

Pbees: you’re ridiculous

 

Jhalpert: call me what you want, I just want to do this. Take a chance beesly

 

Pbees: you know I can’t, we set a date.

 

Jhalpert: and?

 

Pbees: these are two year programs, how am I going to plan a wedding, and then spend my first year married in a different city than Roy?

 

Jhalpert: he could move, I’m sure Scranton isn’t the only city in America with a warehouse

 

Pbees: what is that supposed to mean.

 

Jhalpert: nothing

 

Pbees: no, you don’t think Roy’s input is significant because he works in a warehouse!!

 

Jhalpert: that’s not what I think at all, is that what you think?

 

Pbees: no!

 

Jhalpert: is that the reason you’re holding yourself back? Because you don’t want to rush past him?

 

Pbees: no! I mean he’s doing fine, I just don’t think he would deal well with me putting an income on hold for two years while I get a masters.

 

Jhalpert: you’ll make that money back and more, come on you can’t not take this chance. You’re too talented

 

Pbees: please Jim, I just can’t

 

Jhalpert: do you really think this relationship is worth putting your entire life on hold

 

Pbees: what are you trying to say?

 

Jhalpert: I’m saying that I don’t think you should stop your life for anybody, especially someone who is trying to hold you back

 

Pbees: he’s my fiancé

 

Jhalpert: is he really all that you want the rest of your life to be about.

 

He looks up at her and sees that she is on the verge of tears, how did this conversation veer off into this discussion, he didn’t want to do this here.

 

Jhalpert: he’s not right for you Pam, I’ve been trying not to say it for like two years, but you’ve got to hear it.

 

Pbees: we’ve been together for 7 years

 

Jhalpert: and when was the last time you were really in love with him

 

At that moment Pam knows he’s right, because she can remember it, that day 4 years ago on the back of his truck laying out under stars. They were newly engaged then and she had felt it- love for Roy coursing through her body. And now? She couldn’t remember what it even really felt like to love him.

 

Pbees: I can’t do this anymore.

 

She got up and with as much dignity as she could muster she walked to the break room and sat down facing the wall. A moment later she heard the door swing open and his familiar footsteps echo on the linoleum.

 

His hand felt warm on her shoulder and as he squeezed it a little sob escaped from her lips.

 

“What am I going to do?”

 

“It’s not to late to start all over. You're only 25.” He said quietly as he wrapped his arms around her tucking her head underneath his chin.

 

“I should really apply to those programs.”

 

“Yeah you really should.”

 

“It’s already January, isn’t that too late.”

 

“It never hurts to try,” he said as he placed a chaste kiss on her forehead.

 

“Yeah,” she said in a shaky voice, “then why does this hurt so much.”

 

“It won’t forever, just a little at first.”

 

“Thanks Jim,” she says as she reaches for the box of Kleenex he holds out for her.

 

“For what?” he’s slightly mesmerized by how her lip trembles as she wipes away her tears.

 

“For telling me things I don’t want to hear, for pushing me.”

 

“I’m just your mother’s agent in disguise,” he says with a laugh.

 

“I knew your sudden appearance in Scranton was suspicious,” she’s amazed that he can coax a laugh out of her.

 

“Yeah, you don’t think I’m actually going on sales calls do you?” he asks with a smile

 

“Well thank you Agent Halpert for being such a consistent pain in my ass.”

 

Jim can’t help the thought of ...and what an ass it is from popping into his head for just a fraction of a second. “Come on, let’s get back,” he says as he holds his hand out to her, “I’ve got to start fake working and you’ve got to get cracking on those applications.”

 

“Yes, sir,” she says jumping to attention with a fake salute.

 

“Oh you’re so dead.” He says with mock solemnity as he musses up her hair.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
reviews are like chicken soup for the jammy soul.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans