- Text Size +

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Throughout the morning, Kevin and Oscar had noticed Angela's increasing uneasiness. She was restless and hadn't stayed in her chair for more than ten minutes at a time. It was very unlike her. When they questioned her about it, she just glared at them and didn't say anything. The fact that her appearance seemed a bit ragged indicated that there was more to the situation than met the eye.

During one of Angela's absences, her phone rang. Oscar stared at it, contemplating whether or not to answer it. Kevin noticed his hesitation.

"It might be Corporate requesting the new payroll numbers," Kevin said. "They need those by today so that it'll be approved for our paychecks tomorrow."

Oscar still waited. He knew that if Angela came back out and he was on her phone talking to Corporate, she would make his day even worse than it was. He also knew that Kevin was right about the payroll amounts. With a sigh, Oscar got up and answered the phone.

"Dunder-Mifflin, accounting department, Oscar speaking."

It wasn't Corporate. It was Angela's doctor. "Good morning, I'm calling for Angela Martin. This is Dr. Christina Hughes."

"She is unavailable at the moment. Would you like her to call you back when she gets back in?"

"Yes. That would be excellent. She already has the office phone number. Thank you."

"You're welcome. Have a good day." He hung up. Should he be concerned about Angela? Normally, doctors wouldn't call their patients unless it was urgent. Oscar looked over at Kevin, who was a bit puzzled.  "That wasn't Corporate. That was Angela's doctor."

"What did she -- um, he - uh, whatever... what did they want?" Kevin was curious. Although he had worked beside Angela for many years, he really didn't know her that well. Once in a while, she would hold ‘get-togethers' for the accounting department at her house. They were not as fun as they sounded; in fact, it only happened when something wasn't completed in time, leaving the three of them put in overtime at Angela's house. Lucky for Kevin, she was always baking and always had desserts such as cupcakes and cookies available. Despite those other small, still-work interactions, there wasn't much known about Angela and her life outside of work. Besides the obvious, like the fact that she went to church regularly and had cats.  Kevin was curious about the rest of Angela's life, though, and why she acted the way she did. 

Oscar was about to answer when Angela returned to her desk. She couldn't help but noticed the two staring at her. What are these idiots looking at? She tightened her lips together and looked at Oscar. "What?" she asked sternly.

"Your phone rang while you were gone and so I answered it. I--"

"You answered my phone?" she exclaimed. "It's my phone, Oscar! You could have let it ring and go to voicemail and I would have gotten it myself!" She felt angry. There was no reason for him to be at my desk, among my things.

"Angela, calm down. I was worried that it was Corporate, asking about the payroll."

"Oh," she breathed in. "Did they get what they needed?"

Oscar bit his bottom lip. She wasn't  going to like this. "Actually, Angela, it wasn't Corporate. It was your doctor. She said for you to call her back at her office."

Angela's face fell. She was emotionless. She knew what was coming. This is how God will punish me for my sins. This is the consequence for my actions. Her hand reached for the phone. She couldn't stop it from trembling. Oscar and Kevin wouldn't stop staring at her. She slowly dialed the number. After a couple of rings, a voice answered, "Good morning, Dr. Hughes' office, how may I help you?"

Angela turned her body to face the wall. It was hard enough to know that Oscar and probably now, Kevin, knew something was wrong, but for them to actually hear the conversation...?  She wasn't going to let that happen. She replied, quietly, "This is Angela Martin. I'm returning Dr. Hughes' call."

Kevin was shocked by how vulnerable Angela seemed. Her petite frame was actually shaking. He never wished ill will towards her, (not really), even on some of her worst days. She had been comforting and understanding when he had thought might have had skin cancer, and seeing her worried now, he wanted her to know that he was there for her, too. Kevin glanced over at Oscar, who looked back at him. Obviously, Oscar was concerned as well. 

After talking to her doctor for a few minutes, Angela hung up the phone. She didn't know what to do. Her hands were still shaking. She felt like screaming. Or crying. Or curling up into a ball and hiding from the world. Kevin's hand on her shoulder brought her back to reality. She looked up at him. The concern in his eyes was all that she needed as she hugged him. A few seconds later, Oscar, came around to her side and gave her another hug.

When Meredith turned around to see the commotion, she felt a bit disgusted. If you were going to have a threesome, a Hispanic, gay man and a large, balding, white guy isn't usually what would be ideal. Then, she smiled and said to herself, "I always knew Angela had a freaky side." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter End Notes:
Heh... apparently I've been reading Girly-Girl way too much, as the last Meredith scene is concerned. ;)

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans