- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I still don't own The Office or any of the characters. I know, it sucks.
Carson and Nikki informed Pam that they would all be going into the conference room to watch the secret footage that they had been shooting of her all week. She looked mortified, but, luckily, after that things began happening very quickly. The cameras were turned off while more crew entered and began setting up a projection screen in the conference room, and arranging all of the chairs in a semi-circle.  Excitement filled the room and Ryan, not knowing what to do, stood in the middle, watching. From where he stood at Jim’s desk, he noticed the following things: For all of his antics on a daily basis, Michael looked almost shy when confronted with two real, albeit minor, celebrities.  He gazed at them awkwardly as they were fussed over by a make up artist. Phyllis took a compact out of her purse and began dabbing powder on her nose and applying lipstick. Stanley broke his usual deadpan and picked up the phone to call someone (his wife?) and tell them, excitedly, what was going on. Dwight went to join Oscar and Kevin, who were being informed by Angela how the fact that popular culture was so obsessed with image was a sure sign of the apocalypse. Dwight seemed to be gazing at Angela with a mixture of awe and fear on his face. Both Creed and Meredith seemed unfazed and sat at their desks watching the spectacle. But the thing that Ryan was really curious about was how quickly Karen had sprung out of her chair and pulled Jim aside by Michael’s office. They appeared to be fighting. Also, Pam had disappeared.

Suddenly, Ryan felt Kelly’s body stiffen.

“Oh come on, Angela! Image is really important. You can’t deny that! If Pam keeps dressing likes she does now, she’s never going to meet someone new.”

Kelly had released her hand from Ryan’s arm, allowing blood to flow into his lower arm and hand once again.  He clenched and unclenched his fist to help it along. Then Kelly charged over to Angela in order to debate the moral implications of make overs.  Ryan didn’t follow. Instead he watched as Jim slammed his hand flat against the wall before turning and storming off towards the elevator.

Karen turned , rolling her eyes.  When she saw Ryan she shrugged her shoulders.

“I thought he did it. As a joke.” She laughed, sort of, “Apparently not.”

Ryan took a few steps closer to Karen (and away from the ridiculous argument that Kelly and Angela were currently engaged in).

“You thought Jim nominated Pam? For the make over?”

Karen rolled her eyes again and leaned back against the wall, “I thought it was a prank or something. I even congratulated him, because it looked like it really embarrassed Pam. I guess that was the wrong thing to say.”

“You pissed him off, huh?”

“Of course I did. He doesn’t like people messing with Pam. I think she’s sacred or something. I am so stupid. Why do I put up with it?” She shook her head sadly, before looking Ryan in the eyes, “Who did nominate her, anyway?”

****************************************************************************
Pam (talking head):
Why am I hiding out on the side of the building? Um, because I was just humiliated in front of...everyone. Apparently the way I dress is so bad that a television show had to be called in to educate me on how to dress myself. I am a receptionist at a paper company, how am I supposed to be dressing?

“Well Pam, I think that’s what the experts are here to tell you.”

Pam and the cameraman looked right.  Jim stood smiling sheepishly, his hands shoved in his pockets.

Before she could stop it, the right corner of Pam’s mouth went up in a half-smile, “Hey.”

“Hey. What are you doing out here? I think everyone anxious to see the secret footage. I know I am dying to see it.”

“Oh, yeah?”

“Definitely. I mean who doesn’t want to watch clips of someone who has no idea that they are being taped? Especially if the clips are to be used to point out how badly that person dresses. Come on, we can sit together in the back and make fun of it.” He reached out, offering his hand.

“Um,  I’m the one we’ll be making fun of.”

Jim smacked his forehead dramatically, “Oh yeah. I totally just forgot that. Well, then let’s just go suffer through it so that you can go to New York on a shopping spree. How much are you getting again?”

“Five-thousand dollars.” By now, a large grin had formed on Pam’s face.

“Wait...did you say five-thousand dollars? Five-thousand?  Pam, come on,  we have got to get up there. A little embarrassment is a small price to pay for that much. I mean, I would sit through secret footage of myself for five dollars. Come on, let’s hurry before they change their minds.”

Jim held out his hand again and Pam took it. She couldn’t help beaming up at him as they walked back into the building and got onto the elevator. The cameraman watched them as they walked away and thought he should probably just take the stairs.




You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans