- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

God told y'all last chapter not to worry. Did you listen? Spoilers through The Job

 

I don’t use lightning bolts anymore. At least not very often.

It used to be that when I wanted to make a point or to get someone’s attention, I would send a bolt of fire from up here down at them….or I’d at least set a bush or something on fire. That used to be enough.

I’ve found, though, that these days, subtlety works much better than a big production. You guys are so used to flashy and fiery….think Superbowl halftime show or a weekend with Britney Spears….that small quiet moments are the best way to reach you. I prefer it that way….less singeing.

I think you saw that last night.

I’m not going to take credit for anything other than the timing (do you think it was an accident that Jim got to hear a “Dunder Mifflin, this is….” or that he found Pam’s note just when David Wallace asked him about his long-term plans?).  This reminder….this touchstone was all Pam. She knew that a soap-opera style declaration of love or a standoff with Karen wasn’t what was needed. Jim didn’t need an email confession or for Pam to stop on his way out the door for a big, wet sloppy one.  All he needed was to remember…..and to come back. Pam knew exactly what to do.

 A Yogurt lid. It’s nothing more than a throw-away piece of cheap aluminum. How many of them are filling up your landfills or stuck to the bottom of the garbage can? It means nothing….unless it does.

It means…..I remember.

It means….I support you.

It means….I think you are special.

It means…I only want for you to be happy.

It means…I’ve loved you for a long time.

It means…I wish you would.

Jim got it. Though it hit him like a lightning bolt, it didn’t incinerate him….it just warmed him up inside…let the frozen parts thaw, so to speak. You know in that Christmas special? The one with the Winter Warlock? When he saw that note….realized what it meant, he melted, just like when Kris Kringle gave old WW the choo choo. It was that simple. That beautiful. It was perfect.

Had Jim not figured it out, I would have had to take drastic….more electric measures.

So, now Jim has come back and you’ve had some of your questions answered. I know you have a lot more, but let’s let them have a little space. The television cameras will go away for a while and they can start to work this out.

It won’t be easy, but they’ll be just fine. I’m so proud of them. I’m proud of Pam for coming into her own….for forever discarded descriptors like doormat and mousy. I’m proud of her for finding her voice and for sticking by her words. I’m proud of Jim for putting aside the hurt and the anger…and for telling the truth. I’m proud of him for knowing just what Pam needed to hear. “Thennnn it’s a date”. No more games. No more beating around the bush. I’m proud.

I might be around this summer to talk to you about Michael and Jan and Ryan and Kelly and whoever else you want to talk about. I like these chats we have. Thinking about love and friendship and loyalty helps me relieve some of my job stress.

Just remember…..I was right about this.

Love never fails

P.S.  Despite the large volume of requests I’ve received, I will not be sending a lightning bolt Karen’s way.

 

Chapter End Notes:
Love that feedback!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans