- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

It's been ages since I've written anything. I wanted to do something for the wedding tonight and then I remembered the first piece I wrote for MTT. It seemed appropriate to add onto it today.

I haven't been reading spoilers so everything in here is a guess based on past episodes and TV previews.

I think now I can mark this story complete.

Wow.

It’s been a while, hasn’t it? The last time I checked in with you was back before that Fun Run Michael organized for the office.  So much has happened since then.

There’s a reason for my absence from popping in to chat with you all about our favorite documentary pair.

I’ve been busy.

There have been wars and recessions and natural disasters and swine flu and all sorts of other things keeping my plate pretty full. 

I guess if I were being completely honest (and I kind of have to be…it is one of my rules)I’d admit that there’s another reason for my absence. 

You’ve stopped needing me.

Ever since Jim and Pam got together, you’ve stopped the weekly prayers on their behalf. I don’t get the same pleading and asking that I used to get back when the two of them were still finding their way to one another.  You’ve stopped worrying about them …stopped needing me to step in and fix what you felt needed fixing.

Sure, there have been blips in my inbox…little spurts when fans of this show remembered that I existed. You were worried when Pam went to New York, you asked for vengeance against that Alex kid and some of you want the best for the new little life Pam is carrying around and asked for my help (I’m on that, believe me).

But the volume of requests? That’s been way down. The stuff I just mentioned? None of it generated the response that something like Jim’s confession at the casino thing or Pam’s tears in the stairwell brought me.

In a way, I’m glad. I’m glad that you can see what I can see…that for these two, everything’s going to work out the way it should be…the way it was always supposed to.  I told you all a long time ago to trust me and I’m holding back an “I told you so” now.

That reminds me. There’s something else I want you all to trust me on.

In the last few days, I’ve gotten a few prayers from the lucky couple themselves. Now don’t get all worried. They aren’t having doubts and the baby is fine. It’s just been little things.

“God, please don’t let my parents fight in front of everyone. I hope they can be civil over the weekend”

“Please, don’t let the out of town relatives notice that Pam’s pregnant. She’s been stressing about Aunt Bessie calling her a harlot.”

“God, please don’t let Michael do anything embarrassing.”

There’s something I want to let you all in on. Pam’s parents will probably fight. Aunt Bessie will probably find out about the baby, but she’ll get over it.

And Michael?

Well, he’s kind of my wedding present.

What do I mean? Let me explain.

I know that some of you have heard of  and believe in“guardian angels”. You believe that there’s always someone assigned to look out for us…to keep us safe…to point us in the right directions.

Guardian angels exist. They do. Just probably not in the way you think.  My regular angels are much too busy helping me with the big problems to worry about helping you find your keys or avoid hitting a cement pillar in a parking garage.  I don’t leave you alone, though. Not for a second.

One thing I’m proud of is the fact that I work very hard to place people in your lives who are always there for you. They love you unconditionally and they help you be better people. They lift your spirits when you are down and celebrate your successes as if they were your own. Think about it. Don’t you have someone in your life that that? Yeah? I did that.

So whenever Jim or Pam have needed someone, I’ve made sure that their “guardian angel” has been there….

                To remind him to never, ever give up.

                To come to her art show.

                To soar with the eagles’ nest.

Is Michael perfect? Hell no! He messes up a lot, but I think that at this wedding he’ll surprise Jim and Pam in a really good way. He’ll horrify them too, don’t get me wrong, but if anyone understands what they’ve been through, it’s Michael.

Will I be watching? Sure.

Will I cry? I’ll leave that up to you.

I’m going to take off now and I’m  betting  that I won’t hear from you for a very long time. Happily Ever Afters have a way of making people stop talking to me.

And in this case? I’m totally okay with that.

---G.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading! I appreciate any and all feedback.


GodInThisChilis is the author of 19 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 15 members. Members who liked I Was In the Chili's -- An Open Letter from God also liked 2273 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans