- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
She cleaned on Saturdays. It was just something she did, even after Roy had moved out. She thought that it was better to stay in a routine than to not, so she cleaned on Saturday afternoons and watched the new HBO movie on Saturday nights. It was what she did before… before it all changed, so she just kept going. She knew she had to keep going or else she would lose it and she had promised herself that that wasn’t going to happen.

She was dusting when the phone rang, jolting her out of her reverie. The phone had barely rang in the last few weeks and she was contemplating just disconnecting the damn thing and living off her cell phone, not that that rang very much any more either. She walked across the kitchen and picked up the phone.

“Hello?”

All Pam heard on the other end was sobbing. “Hello? Who’s there?!?”

“Oh… Pam… oh… my… god…”

“Kelly?”

“Oh my god, Pam, I just can’t… can you come and sit with me… I just… I can’t be here by myself…”

Pam struggled to make out the words as Kelly cried into the phone. “Kelly, please, you’ve got to calm down. What in the world is going on?”

“Oh God… I just… Ryan was picking up Jim from the airport this afternoon and there was a drunk driver and… Pam, I saw his car and it’s totaled and I just… and no one will tell me a damn thing and…”

Pam felt like she couldn’t breathe – Jim was in an accident. Jim was hurt. Jim could be… the thought made Pam feel nauseous.

“Pam, I didn’t know who else to call… I just… I’m just sitting here, being ignored and…”

Pam shot across the room, grabbing her keys and purse off the counter. “I’m on my way” she said. She dropped the phone into the receiver and bolted out the door.

TBC

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans