- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Previously: Pam has returned from Italy and starts working at the corporate Dunder Mifflin offices in Manhattan. Jim decides he should reconnect with Pam and calls her, but loses his nerve when he gets her voicemail. This is a long one (twss). Takes place 2 days after Chapter 9.

"So you really think McNabb is going to deliver after last season?"

After merging with the traffic on Interstate-80, Jim looked over to the passenger seat where Danny, one of the documentary cameramen, sat. "He better, he's my starter for week one," Jim said.

Danny shook his head as his fiddled with his handheld camera. "You can't be sentimental about fantasy football picks, man."

Jim smirked, "Says the Washington native who loaded his roster with Seahawks players."

"Hey, the Seahawks are legit this year," Danny said sternly. Jim chuckled and Danny lifted up his camcorder. "Alright, better start recording, Greg will probably chew me out for waiting a whole half-hour."

Out of the corner of his eye, Jim could see the camera's red light turn on and he took a deep breath. "Well, it's about ten in the morning and I am on my way to the Dunder-Mifflin corporate offices in Midtown Manhattan. Michael is going for a meeting and Jan told him to bring his top salesman unless it was the guy who sprayed her with beet-scented perfume her last visit, then bring whoever." He gave the camera a half smile, "So, you're looking at Whoever."

"Tell us why you aren't carpooling with Michael," Danny said.

"You may be wondering why I'm not carpooling with Michael," Jim said, tilting his head to the camera, "and the reason is the last time I was in a car with Michael he sat in the back and kept covering my eyes as I drove and told me to just follow his directions. He said it was a trust exercise." Jim glance to the camera, smiling at the fact that Danny was trying to hold back a laugh. "So my options were get to New York alone or get in a fatal car accident somewhere in New Jersey."

"You met up with your ex-fiancee yesterday, how did that go?"

Jim chuckled to himself. Yesterday morning Jim's phone buzzed and he was shocked to see a text from Lisa asking to meet her for coffee at lunchtime. He thought he was stealthily evading the cameras, ducking out when Michael started fuming about a memo from corporate HR and stormed back to the Annex with the cameras in tow, but apparently the documentary crew had their ways of keeping tabs on everyone.

When Jim entered Jolt Coffee, a local cafe in downtown Scranton about halfway between their places of work, he spotted Lisa's messy bun right away, and as he walked over he debated what the best way to greet your ex-fiancée who you haven't seen in three months was. A hug? A peck on the cheek? She turned in her chair and said hello, motioning across the small table where a cup of coffee was already waiting for him. Nothing then, Jim thought as he took a seat.

Lisa was the first to ask, "How are you doing?" Jim noticed her lace her fingers together, a tell-tale sign of her being nervous.

"I've been alright, nothing very exciting happening since, um..." Jim scoffed softly, mostly at himself for bringing up the broken engagement right away, he then tried pass it off as a laugh.

Lisa played along and smiled back, "Yeah, same with me. How's work?"

Jim stared at his coffee mug, wondering if Lisa knew how dull work was for him now, "Um, summer was slow like usual, things are picking up with the school year starting. Probably the same for you, huh, at the county?"

Lisa nodded, "Yeah, I suppose." She leaned forward slightly in her seat, "That's actually partly why I wanted to meet."

Jim's eyes met hers, and he felt oddly anxious waiting for what she was going to say next.

"I'm flying out to California next week, looking at some grad schools along the west coast."

"Graduate school on the west coast, huh?" Jim said after a moment, fiddling with a crumpled sugar pack next to his coffee. "You never told me that was something you were thinking about," he added in a low tone.

Lisa pressed her lips together and took a deep breath, "No, I didn't, and I should have. The timing just never felt right, things kept happening and I kept telling myself 'oh well, maybe next year.'"

"So is that why you called it off?" Jim said, trying to sound unaffected but knowing he was failing. "You didn't think we could work that all out?"

"It was one reason, I suppose, there were others," Lisa replied. Jim raised his eyebrows, signaling her to continue and she stared into her coffee, "When I went to that bridal shop and my dress didn't fit, suddenly it felt like nothing quite fit."

"Okay," Jim said, knowing he had a puzzled look on his face.

Lisa looked up and tilted her head, "I mean, I thought about how I want to go back to school and travel and maybe live abroad. You want the backyard barbecues and the two kids rolling around with the dog and camping trips to the Poconos."

Jim almost blurted out a rebuttal, to tell Lisa that of course a family could have waited and he would have moved cross-country with her if only she would have talked to him about it, but he supposed that was her point, that she never was comfortable enough to confided her dreams to him and he never really asked.

"I feel like I got caught up in the 'let's get married because it's the next logical step' mindset without ever really thinking about if it was what I truly wanted," Lisa said.

Jim found himself nodding in agreement, "Yeah, maybe I did a little, too."

"Actually," Lisa let out a light laugh, "Pam was also kind of a catalyst."

Jim's eyes snapped back to Lisa. "What do you mean?" he asked, praying she didn't detect any change to his voice.

"She never struck me as the adventurous type but then she quit her job and went to Italy, and I guess I was a little envious of her courage."

'Courage' was not typically a word that came to mind when Jim thought of Pam, but he supposed she was rather courageous; leaving a steady job in the only town she had ever lived it, taking a risk with him knowing full well her heart would be broken. Perhaps he was a little envious of that courage as well.

"What's she up to now?" Lisa asked, interrupting Jim's thoughts.

Jim shrugged, "I've heard she's doing a design internship at the Dunder Mifflin offices in New York City."

"Have you talked to her?" Jim shook his head no. "Oh," Lisa said quietly.

Jim smiled nervously, "What?"

Lisa smirk slightly, "I just... I always kinda suspected you had a little crush on her." Jim put on his best 'oh really?' face, ignoring his increasing heart-rate. "You were in a bit of a funk when she left, but that was probably wedding stuff." She laughed, "Also, you two were just ridiculous at party games, it's like you could read each other's minds."

Jim smiled, maybe someday he would tell Lisa she wasn't too far off in her suspicions, but that day was a long ways down the road. "I am going to New York tomorrow for a presentation with Michael. Maybe I'll see her."

"Good, I hope you get a chance to catch up with her," Lisa said with a full smile.

They exchanged a friendly hug outside of the coffee shop, wishing each other luck and promising to keep in touch. Jim watched Lisa for a moment as she started down the sidewalk towards the county administration building where she worked. Her step seemed a little lighter and her head was held up a little higher; she never glanced back to him.

Danny cleared his throat and Jim's eyes snapped to the camera then back to the road. "Yes, I did see Lisa yesterday. We talked over coffee, she's already got plans to look at grad schools out west and um... I'm glad we met and that I know she's doing okay." When there was no follow-up question, Jim suspected they somehow got the whole conversation on tape, his mind flashing to an odd reflection in a car window by the coffee shop that he now realized was probably a camera lens.

"So who do you expect to see in New York?"

Jim bit his lip, he knew what, or rather who, Danny was prodding him to talk about. "I'll be meeting our CFO for the first time, which I'm looking forward to. And Jan, Michael is convinced Jan is in love with him which -" Jim started to shake his head, "I mean not the craziest claim he's ever made." After a long pause, Jim took a deep breath, "And, um, Pam is there so it'd be good to see her."

"Do you miss that relationship with Pam?"

"Um," Jim look at the camera with knitted brows and an uneasy smile, debating if he wanted to ask what exactly Danny meant by 'relationship'.

As if reading Jim's mind, Danny elaborated. "That partners-in-crime friendship you two had."

Jim nodded and thought about his answer, "Look, I sell paper and it's boring as you'd expect, but then again most jobs are kind of boring. The best you can do is find something that makes the day go by a little faster and maybe makes it a little more fun. Pam made my workday more tolerable, and without her there..." Jim side-eyed the camera and shrugged, "I don't know..."

A few minutes passed by silently before Danny asked his next question. "So your engagement ended a few months ago, have you started dating again or anything?"

Jim gripped the steering wheel a little tighter, already not liking where this line of questioning was going, "Nope, not yet."

"Any chance that might change today?"

Jim looked over and saw Danny's smirking face, then chuckled and shook his head, "C'mon man."

The red light went off and Danny set the camcorder down on his lap. "Alright, alright, I'll lay off for now." A highway sign saying the Delaware Water Gap was up ahead passed by the passenger window. Danny turned towards Jim, "So who do you think I should start at RB, Barber or Lewis?"

Jim smiled, grateful Danny was here to keep his mind off work and other things as he was driving. Mostly.


"So what exactly is this documentary about?" Grace asked as she and Pam walked onto the elevator in the lobby. It was lunchtime, Jan had sent Pam to fetch her another latte and Grace went with her mostly to ask questions about the documentary crew that was suppose to arrive soon.

"I can't even remember what they told us anymore, it's supposed to be a portrait of the typical American office or something," Pam replied.

Grace's lip lifted up into a sneer, "Sounds boring as hell. I mean, why would I watch people doing the same thing I hate doing everyday?" Pam laughed, and Grace's eyes fell onto Pam's hand. "Are you wearing ski gloves to hold Jan's coffee?"

"I found them at the thrift store, they're insulated," Pam said with a wide smile.

Grace shook her head and the elevator doors opened. Through the glass doors of Dunder-Mifflin, Pam could see the camera crew unloading their gear.

"Helloooo mic guy," Grace said out of the corner of her mouth as she and Pam walked in.

Pam blushed, and glanced at Grace who gave her a mischievous look. Pam then started towards said mic guy, who was rather good looking, not that Pam noticed that much when she was back in Scranton. "Hey, Brian."

Brian looked up and smiled, "Hey Pam, good to see you, how have you been?" The camera crew wasn't really suppose to fraternize with the office workers but after a year of filming most of the formalities had been forgotten.

"Not bad, pretty busy," Pam replied. She eyed all the cords and equipment around Brian's feet. "Do you guys want me to mic up or..." she asked reluctantly.

Brian shook his head and motioned to the boom mic. "That should pick up anything around the office here. But we do hope to get a sit-down interview with you."

Pam nodded, "Okay, yeah, maybe after the meeting?" Brian agreed and Pam set off to deliver the coffee, ignoring Grace's smirking face as she walked by the receptionist's desk. Before she entered Jan's office, Pam removed the ski gloves with her teeth and tossed them to the floor. She walked in to Jan nervously chewing the end of her pencil; on Monday Jan had confided to Pam that she was extremely worried about the meeting with Michael and David Wallace since the last one nearly ended in disaster. Pam strongly suspected there was more going on with Jan and Michael but she kept her suspicions to herself.

Jan thanked Pam for the coffee and Pam asked if she needed anything else. "A valium maybe," Jan said under her breath before she took a sip. Her face twisted up into a scowl and she pulled the cup away from her lips.

Pam's eyebrows raised in concern, "Too hot? I think they have new cups because they hold the heat a lot better than before-"

"There's foam," Jan said, holding out the latte towards Pam.

Pam suppressed a sigh, took back the too-hot paper cup, and left the office. As she squatted down to grab the gloves she had left by Jan's door, she could see the camera crew had spotted her and was already walking over. Pam held back another sigh and they began to follow her to the kitchen.

"I work as Jan's assistant now, it's a little hard to adjust when you're so used to a certain manager's style, but I'm learning a lot," Pam said to the camera as she spooned foamy milk into the sink. "For example Jan likes her lattes extra hot, and somehow even with the heat she can still detect the slightest irregularities." Pam place the cup into the microwave to heat the drink back up to the scalding temperature Jan preferred. "I once forgot to ask for skim milk." Pam gazed at the microwave, watching the green logo on the cup spin around inside, "That was not a good day."

"Hey," Pam spun around to see Karen coming into the kitchen. She tried not to laugh as Karen gave the camera crew leery looks before turning to Pam. "Your Scranton friends are here."

Pam nodded, putting a glove on and taking the latte out of the microwave.

Karen opened the refrigerator, "Oh, what's the name of the salesman? Tall, brown hair."

"That's probably Dwight," Pam said, recalling seeing a memo sent to Josh and Michael asking they bring their top salesman to the meeting.

Karen's face scrunched up, "Dwight huh? He's too cute to be named 'Dwight'." Karen reached into the refrigerator for a yogurt and Pam gave the camera a confused look after hearing "Dwight" and "cute" in the same sentence. Pam started for the doorway then spun back around when Karen called her name. "After the meeting remind me to tell you about the memorable exchange I just had with Michael Scott," Karen said in a sarcastic tone.

Pam smiled, "Aw, are you already besties?"

Karen pretended to gag and Pam laughed, not looking ahead as she stepped into the hallway.

Pam only saw a flash of a white dress shirt and dark-colored tie before her hands were pushed into her chest, the contents of the paper coffee cup exploding all over her shirt and arms. She gasped sharply and started flailing her arms hoping to shake off the hot liquid. She then looked up to see who she had collided with.

Chapter End Notes:

Yup, you will just have to wait and see who Pam ran into, though you probably suspect ;-)

I hope it wasn't obvious that I have no clue how Fantasy Football works.

Also, I forgot that Tim Olyphant's character in season 7 (who they said briefly dated Pam) was named Danny. So yeah, Danny the Cameraman is definitely a different Danny.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans