- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Previously: At the Dunder Mifflin corporate offices, there's a coffee incident and Pam and Jim find themselves at a department store for a new shirt. Pam tells Jim corporate is planning to close down either Stamford or Scranton in the next few months. Jim is hoping to have a more personal conversation with Pam but keeps getting interrupted.

With Danny once again in the front seat, handheld camera on his shoulder, the cab ride back to Dunder Mifflin was fairly quiet. A couple times Jim mentioned Dwight's recent antics and Pam would laughed politely, but it kept fading back into silence.

Jim scratched at a small dark spot on his slacks, a stray coffee stain from earlier. "So I've seen Pam-the-assistant at work."

"Administrative professional," she said in a play-serious voice.

Jim let out a laugh, "Right, but what about Pam-the-designer?"

Pam nodded, "Well, there's another floor where all the non-executive types are, I have a little work station in a room with a dozen cubicles."

Jim saw the cab approaching the high rise building Dunder Mifflin was in, and glanced at his watch. "There's still 15 minutes before this meeting, I'd say that's enough time for a desk walk-by."

Pam's brow knitted, "Really?" Jim smiled and for the first time all day Pam gave him a full smile back.

The elevator doors opened to the other Dunder Mifflin floor, much more utilitarian and far less swanky than the offices above. Pam lead Jim, with Danny and his camera close behind, down the hall and through a maze of cubicles. 'Little' was the correct word as the desk only had room for a computer monitor, a keyboard and a notebook. "I do most of my sketching in the break room, there's not much space here," Pam said, opening up a drawer to pull out her sketchbook.

Jim eyed a paperweight shaped like the Tower of Pisa on Pam's desk, nearly asking her about her Italy trip before deciding that topic should wait for a more private conversation. Pam handed him her opened sketchbook, and he scanned through dozens of logo sketches, "Wow, you came up with all these?"

Pam smiled, "Yeah, I'm learning a big part of design is drawing until you stumble onto what the client wants, at least until I learn to read minds."

"Well, they all look great to me," Jim said flipping through the pages, pretending he couldn't tell Pam was blushing. He tilted the sketchbook up as he closed it, and a small yellow piece of paper fluttered to the ground. Before Pam noticed it, Jim kneeled to pick up the paper, a post-it note that lost it's adhesive long ago. As he stood, he flipped the paper over. There was some scratchy writing he recognized to be his own, and underneath a very unskilled sketch of Pam. His mind flashed back to a time two years ago, maybe three, when he discovered Pam would draw little caricatures of the staff during downtime at work. He drew this cartoon of her juggling office supplies with a word balloon saying "Dunder Mifflin this is Pam", and stuck the note in a folder of documents he gave Pam to fax out. He was on the phone with a client when she discovered it, unable to stop smiling as he watched her giggling at her desk.

"You still have this?" Jim said softly.

Pam's grin faded when she realized what was in Jim's hand, and she gently took the small paper.

"Keeping it around for inspiration?" Jim said, trying to avoid more awkward silence.

"Yeah, I suppose," Pam said quietly, slipping the sketchbook and the note back in the drawer. A ring came from her purse and she dug out her cell phone. Jim could hear Jan hissing "Where are you" on the other end as Pam assured her they were boarding the elevator as she spoke.


Pam was unsure what to do with herself while Michael was presenting what should have been a mid-year report on the Scranton branch but turned out to be a detailed recount of his long illustrious career at Dunder Mifflin. Doodling was out as she was suppose to be taking the meeting notes, plus she was right next to Jan. Jim sat directly across the table, his eyes meeting hers every time she glanced that direction. Pam settled for looking at the loud-colored tie of Stamford's top salesman, Andy, who she had already determined was the world's biggest kiss-up. She was looking forward to asking Karen about him.

Jan nearly jumped out of her seat to interrupt Michael when he mentioned something about how Dunder Mifflin had also brought love into his life, and she asked Jim to talk about what the Scranton branch has achieved in the last year. Jim was very engaging as he spoke about the branch, perfectly playing up it's acquisitions and talking about the potential of the area in the future. David Wallace thanked Jim once he was finished, Pam glanced up from her notes and noticed an impressed expression on David's face. She couldn't help but feel a little proud.

Across the table, Andy leaned forward in his seat. "That's nice, Slim Jim, but the numbers don't lie, Stamford's been smokin' your ass for four straight quarters."

"Andy, please," Josh said, rubbing his forehead. Pam stifled a laugh when Jim shot her a 'who's this guy?' look.

"But it's just a fact!" Andy replied.

David put a hand up. "Why don't we take a quick break?" he said calmly. "Let's reconvene in ten minutes." Everyone in the room murmured in agreement and David leaned over to Jan and asked her to come to his office.

After David and Jan exited, Michael rushed over to Jim. "We got a Code Jan," Michael said in a loud whisper. Jim widened his eyes at Pam as Michael whisked him off to the corner of the conference room. In the other corner, Andy was standing like a child being scolded as Josh talked to him. Pam drummed her fingers on the table for a moment before heading to the kitchen alone.

Pam had just poured herself some iced tea when Karen walked into the kitchen. "How's it going?" Karen asked.

"Um, not bad, Michael hasn't done anything lawsuit worthy yet. Actually the only outburst so far has come from Andy." Pam smirked, "He seems like quite the character."

Karen rolled her eyes, "We'll have to find a free evening sometime so that I can tell you the legend of Andrew Bernard. Many martinis will have to be involved though."

Pam chuckled, then looked at her shoes, "I feel like they'll probably keep Stamford though."

Karen slightly shook her head, "Yeah they probably will. And it's going to come back to bite them."

Before Pam had a chance to ask what Karen meant, Jim walked in, hands in his pockets. Pam craned her neck looking for a full camera crew, but only saw the one cameraman who was with them in the cab, and he was nice enough to stay in the doorway.

"Shirt looks good, Scranton," Karen said with a grin.

Jim looked at his crisp white dress shirt, "Yeah, it's really comfortable too. I'll have to pay you back."

"No, no, consider it a gift from Dunder Mifflin," Karen said, heading towards the hallway, "Besides any friend of Pam's is a friend of mine."

Alone in the kitchen, another moment of awkward silence passed before Pam asked if Jim wanted anything to drink. "I'll just get myself some water," Jim said. Pam fetched a cold bottle of water from the refrigerator and handed it to him before he could even grab a glass from the cabinet. "Or you know, some water may appear in my hand." Pam smiled and Jim opened the bottle and took a sip. "Okay, so cage-match, Dwight and that Andy guy, who would win?"

Pam laughed for half-a-minute before regaining her composure. "Um, that's tough, Dwight's better prepared maybe?"

"True, but he still abides by a certain code of honor, and you can just tell Andy is a dirty fighter," Jim replied. They laughed, and Jim started picking at the label on the water bottle. "I suppose they might be working together in a few months, huh?"

Pam nodding slightly, "I suppose, I'm sure the top salespeople would be transferred." She shyly looked to Jim, "I bet you would get transferred, I mean, if Scranton closed, and if you wanted to."

"Yeah, maybe." Jim resumed picking at the water bottle label, "If Scranton stays open, do - do you think you'd come back?"

Pam tugged at the hem of her to her plum colored blouse, still stiff from being rinsed out and dried flat, "Um, I don't know. If it was going to be the same, probably not."

"What if it's different?" Jim said in an almost-whisper.

Before Pam could respond, Jan was in the doorway, clearing her throat. "Sorry Jan," Pam said as she walked to the hallway, Jim close behind her.

"I think we're all feeling a little out of sorts today," Jan said, forced smile on her face. Halfway to the conference room, Jan turned to Pam, "Oh, I need you to stay after five and get some reports together for me, I'm doing my upstate visits tomorrow and Friday."

"Oh," Pam said, glancing back to Jim. "Um..."

Jan's eyebrow lifted, "Unless you have plans?"

"No, I don't, that's fine," Pam said. In the corner of her eye she could see the disappointed look on Jim's face.

The meeting resumed with Josh presenting the Stamford branch's midyear report. As well-prepared and well-spoken as Josh was, Pam couldn't shake the feeling that there was something a little phony about him. She looked to Jim, but for once he didn't look at her, he was focused writing on his notepad.

Josh's presentation ended with an overly enthusiastic round of applause from Andy, and David began a series of discussion questions. He and Jan were skillful at asking questions about potential situations without using the words 'merger' or 'closing' or 'layoffs', but Pam suspected everyone knew what they were talking about, with maybe the exception of Michael. The rest of the meeting was surprisingly normal; Jim did a good job of answering questions and keeping Michael on topic, and obviously Andy had been told by Josh to talk as little as possible.

David wrapped the meeting up by asking if anyone had any final thoughts. Michael raised his hand and stood. Pam noticed Jim shifting in his seat, and she also felt a nervousness in the pit of her stomach. Michael held up a paper airplane with various words written on it in marker. "Service, Leadership, Supply & Demand," he looked to Jan, "and Passion. These are the principles I use everyday to build the paper airplane that is Dunder Mifflin Scranton, and I know together we can continue to soar to new heights." Pam's eyes widened as Michael threw the paper airplane, which looped once before nosediving into the floor. "Dammit," Michael said under his breath as he bent down to pick up the airplane.

"Okay, great, thank you all so much for your time," David said, standing to shake everyone's hand. He made a point of shaking Jim's hand last and started chatting with him. Pam watched them, trying to hear their conversation, when someone said "Pam-a-lot" in a sing-songy voice behind her.

"Hey Michael," Pam said as she turned around.

Michael smiled broadly, "You good, they're treating you good here? 'Cause if they're not, you know I can always talk to Jan and-"

"Thanks Michael, I'm fine," Pam quickly said.

"Okay, good, and so you know, you're always welcome back. I will fire Mary tomorrow, just say the word. I hate her anyways."

Pam put on a strained smile, "Alright, I'll think about it."

Before she knew it, Michael had pulled Pam into a hug. She briefly returned the hug and he stood back, his hands on her shoulders, "Oh, kiddo, we miss you." His eyes looked past Pam, "Though I don't know if anyone misses you more than this guy. Right, Jim-bo?"

Pam turned to Jim, smiling to herself as he rubbed his face to mask his blushing cheeks.

"Hey, we should go hit up a deli, get one of those giant Reubens? Have some cosmos," Michael said.

Jim tilted his head, "Cosmos at a deli?"

"I actually have to stay and work, but maybe next time?" Pam replied.

"Okay, rain-check," Michael said energetically. He turned to Jim, "You need a ride back to Scran-town?"

Jim's brows met, "Um, I drove here, Michael."

"Of course, of course, okay I'll see you mañana then." Michael turned back to Pam and pulled her into another hug, "Proud of you, Pam-a-lam."

Once Michael left the room, Pam gave Jim an exhausted laugh. He chuckled and then held out some papers, "Don't forget your notes."

Pam thanked him and tucked the small stack under her arm. "So, um, I would say we should grab a coffee but-"

"Yeah, the Jan thing, I know, and I should probably start heading back." He reached back to scratch his neck, "Well definitely let me know if you come up to Scranton."

"For sure, and um, ditto for New York," Pam said.

Jim nodded, staring at his shoes for a moment before looking to Pam. "It was good to see you."

Pam put on the biggest smile she could, "Yeah, you too."

Jim slowly walked out the conference room, giving Pam once last smile through the window before walking down the hallway, shoulders slumped and hands in pockets. Pam looked at the floor, digging the toe of her shoe into the carpet, not noticing anyone walking into the room.

"Hey," Pam jumped a little and turned to see Grace, who was handing her a stack of paper. "Here are some faxes for Jan that just came in from Albany and Utica." Pam thanked her with little enthusiasm. "Let me guess, Jan just told you about her quarterly Upstate New York visit," Grace said.

Pam sighed, "She wants me to prepare everything before I leave today."

"Of course she does." Grace said with a scoff. "Well I'm stuck here for a while too so let me know if I can help."

Pam nodded and smiled, and Grace headed back to her desk. Someone called Pam's name and she turned to see the camera crew had set up an interview spot in the corner of the conference room. "We're ready when you are," Brian said.

"Okay," Pam replied. She set the faxes on the conference table then grabbed her meeting notes from under her arm. As she set the notes down, a yellow paper sticking out the side of the pile caught her eye. She tugged the paper and found it was a sheet from a legal pad, folded in half with her name written in familiar handwriting. She held her breath as she unfolded the paper. It was a rough doodle with a curly haired figure surrounded by various New York City landmarks. Above the doodle in big bubble letters it read "Big City Beesly." In the corner was another figure with a dark tie and floppy hair, big smile on his face.

"Pam?" She looked up to see Brian and the camera crew watching her. She looked down at the paper again, a teardrop landed next to the figure in the corner and started to discolor the yellow page.

"Um, I have to go," Pam said, wiping her cheek and backing up to the conference room door, "I'll be back in a few."

Pam practically jogged to the front office doors, turning to the reception desk. "Hey, did you see the guy from Scranton leave, the tall one?" she asked Grace.

"The cutie who kind of looks that Italian guy you sketched," Grace said with a smirk, and Pam felt her cheeks burned. "Yeah, he got on just a minute ago."

"Thanks," Pam said, pushing open the main door.

"Want me to have security stop him?" Pam heard Grace yelled behind her, but Pam couldn't respond as she all-but-dove to catch an elevator before the door closed.


Jim shuffled through the lobby before some of the documentary crew caught up with him, asking if he would do a brief interview. They had Jim stand up against the wall so the building's floor directory was visible behind him. The red light went on and the interviewer asked right away about seeing Pam.

"It was really good it see Pam. She seems to be doing great with her internship and, um, she's more confident. I think this is all good for her." He kept nodding and smiling as brightly as he could manage.

"Do you hope she comes back to Scranton?"

"Um . . . you know what I hope for doesn't really matter. I do miss her, and I hope we stay friends. But I mostly hope she's happy." He half smiled, "Scranton's probably a little too small and boring for Big City Bee-"

"Jim!"

Jim snapped he head to his left where Pam stood a few feet away, a little out of breath. He noticed a yellow paper in her hand. "Hey," he said.

Pam glanced to the cameras and for a second Jim was afraid she'd lose her nerve. She breathed deeply and looked to him. "Um, do you - do you have to get back to Scranton right away?"

Jim shook his head, "Not really, no." He felt a tug at the corner of his mouth.

"Okay, well, I know a couple places around here ... and I think we should go eat."

"Sounds good," Jim said, still holding back his smile.

Pam rocked on her feet for a moment, then motioned behind her. "Okay, I'm gonna go tell Jan I have plans after all."

"I'll meet you up there," Jim replied, no longer restraining his grin. He watched her walk to the elevator, shyly looking back at him several times. He chuckled to himself for a moment before remembering the camera crew. "Sorry guys," he said to the camera, taking a step towards the elevators, "I have a date."

Chapter End Notes:
:')

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans